IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1828 6 years ago

Hey people! Since a few weeks, I'm the owner of my LotR, serial #178644. Traded my TAF for it and couldn't be happier. The game was clearly routed for years and needs a proper restoration. It works perfectly and looks pretty good, but needs love. I want to make the machine as beauitiful as I can, without spending thousands on it.

Right now, I'm in the process of obtaining replacement parts and some mods that I like. When I have everything I want, I'll start the restoration.

One of the first things I did was replacing the fluorescent tube in the backbox for a less bright led tube. What a difference. I hate the overexposed look that the original fluorescent tube gives to the translite. The led tube makes it look far more natural. Highly recommended!

IMG_20170826_014531.jpgIMG_20170826_014531.jpg

1 month later
#1985 6 years ago

Hi guys!

I'm looking for a plastic set for my LOTR. Preferrably located in the EU, to save on shipping and custom charges. Not necessarily though.

Anybody who can help me out? Please send me a pm.

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#1994 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

did you check retro refurbs out?

Thanks for your replies, guys! I just found exactly what I needed. A local pinhead sold me an incomplete set of regular NOS plastics and the set of thick plastics (Paths of the Dead, sword grip and Orthanc) for a fair price. Luckily, most of what I needed is there. Apart from the Arwen plastic, which I will get from Retro Refurbs.

I'm happy that I got what I was looking for. My machine as it sits has a combined mess of broken original plastics and bad reproductions. A previous owner did lots of damage to the old ones by tightening their screws way too fast.

As a gesture, the seller also sent me the old plastics that he replaced for NOS ones on his own machine. So, apart from the Arwen plastic, I now basically have a complete extra set of plastics.

This gives me the chance to add extra Play Along figures on some plastics and still have a spare of every plastic I attach them to. My plan is to:
- add Gimli, Boromir and Legolas figures to complete the Fellowship;
- add the Army of the Dead figures to the Paths of the Dead;
- enhance the Nazgul scene on top of the sword ramp by adding 2 extra Ringwraiths.

I'll post some pictures once these mods are done.

#1997 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

So, I bought a 2003 LOTR a couple of months ago and decided to do a bit of a restoration job on it....
-Installed full cabinet decals
-Full brass armour
-Re-painted the inside of the cab black
-POTD mod
-Installed Comet LED kit with LED OCD board
-And a few other things
It turned out great! I'm very happy with the result.
There are a few issues however. When I first got the game it would do a ball search on start-up every single time. Also it wouldn't register drains and kick two balls into the shooter lane about 50% of the time. Did some research and found that it could be the optos or another switch on the ball trough that went bad. Anyways, I decided to buy the entire trough assembly from Marco because I have no patience and figured it would be easier to just swap the entire thing out...problem solved. I finally get everything back together a couple of days ago and right off the bat...ball search on start-up. I was thinking that maybe this is what 'older' Sterns did since I only have experience with their newer games. Played a few games and I'd see a message once in a while on the DMD saying that a ball is missing and now I'm getting two balls kicked into the shooter lane from time to time. It's basically the same issue I was having before....nothing has changed. I'll have a game here and there where there are no problems at all so it's not consistent with every game. The one constant though is the ball search on start-up. That happens 100% of the time.
Any thoughts?

Oooh, shiny! Those cabinet decals look much brighter than the originals. I like it! Can you verify if they are indeed brighter? Are those the Retro Refurbs decals?

1 month later
#2315 6 years ago

Ok, I guess my love for this game is getting a bit crazy. I just bought a NOS playfield for my LOTR. Purely because I got excited for the fact that I saw one available. Complete impulse purchase. First NOS playfield I ever bought. It wasn't cheap, and I'm not a millionaire. And the playfield in my LOTR isn't even in very bad shape or anything.

I think I might need help...

#2321 6 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

I did the exact same thing. Now I have an LOTR NOS playfield I don't know what to do with as well as a complete set LOTR miniatures. To paraphrase Bob on DI, "Crazy!"

Quoted from pipes:

I am guilty of this as well.

So good to hear I'm not the only one with this illness... We could start our own subgroup. LOTR Anonymous. I'm Jasper. (Hi Jasper) This is my story. I started out as *just* a pinball nerd... At some point, I bought my own Lord of the Rings pinball machine. That's where things started to go downhill, and fast. Before I knew it, I became medieval weaponry collecting nerd and a miniature toy collecting nerd as well. The only difference is that I do take the stuff out of the box.

To be fair though, that LOTR playfield just seems empty without the full Fellowship on it. It's just common sense to add Legolas, Gimli and Boromir. But then, to compete with all these good guys, you need bad guys, right? So, I added extra Ringwraiths. Of course you need the Army of the Dead to sit on the Path of the Dead, but that's a work in progress on my machine. To finish things off, I thought I needed Narsil, the Sword of the King to hang next to my machine. Why? I don't have the slightest idea. To be able to protect the pin from other nerds, I guess.

And... so yeah, now a NOS playfield as well. And I'm thinking about new cabinet decals. Where does this end?

Legolas shooting the BalrogLegolas shooting the Balrog
Gimli and Boromir sneaking up to the RingwraithsGimli and Boromir sneaking up to the Ringwraiths
Narsil...Narsil...
...protecting the pinball machine...protecting the pinball machine

#2323 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

It hasn't ended yet. You just must get pinsound and color dmd

D´OH!

You´re right though. I will definitely get a ColorDMD for the game at some point. Not completely sold on Pinsound yet.

2 weeks later
#2361 6 years ago

I just received my NOS playfield from BAA. Yay!

After unpacking it, it struck me how totally different this playfield looks from the one inside my machine. I mean, I know there are differences in quality for the playfields of this title, but dayum, to me, this is shocking!

Luckily, the NOS playfield looks much better than my original one. It's not perfect, but the color palette is much richer. Graphics are a lot nicer and less 'hard'. The playfield inside my machine has this green hue over the graphics, which the NOS one does not have. And Gandalf... well, see for yourself.

Of the following pictures, every first picture is the playfield that's inside my machine. Every second picture is the NOS playfield. All pictures were taken in similar lighting conditions. They were not edited, except for size.

originaloriginal
NOSNOS

originaloriginal
NOSNOS

originaloriginal
NOSNOS

original (wtf?!)original (wtf?!)
NOSNOS

#2364 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Wow, that's a pretty shocking difference. I just bought a NOS LOTR playfield from BAA a couple of months ago as well. I never bothered to do a comparison though. I'll have to do that.

Interesting. Will you post your findings here?

Also: When you bought your playfield at BAA, did you choose their 'Playfield Assurance Option'? If yes, what did they do for you?

#2366 6 years ago

Thanks for the info! Very curious what your playfield looks like.

I didn't use the service, but it did get me curious. Guess I got lucky with what I got.

#2370 6 years ago

Very interesting! Did you find one with a perfect playfield?

Playfield quality could indeed have something to do with build date. However, I'm not sold on that idea. I think it might be more random than that. Case in point: the original Pinball News post from when LOTR just came out.

This is one of the very first pictures of a LOTR; the playfield of the first test game they had in Chicago, taken from http://www.pinballnews.com/games/lotr/index4.html. It obviously has the green hue on it, especially noticable in Merry's blouse, Gandalf's beard and Legolas' hair.
7 (resized).jpg7 (resized).jpg

The playfield of the sample game that Pinball News tested, did not have the green hue. This game might have left the production belt a bit earlier than the test game, though. It still has the prototype/sample stickers on the apron, where the test game had the production stickers. http://www.pinballnews.com/games/lotr/index5.html
IMG_0482 (resized).jpgIMG_0482 (resized).jpg

Last but not least, the game on Stern's press release photo also seems to have a pretty nice playfield, without any hue.
playfield (resized).jpgplayfield (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#2458 6 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

why hasn't anyone made a decal for the balrog drag mark that soo many machines have?

They're waiting for you to do it.

But seriously: I reckon the big differences in playfield quality that plague this title make it virtually impossible to produce one fitting decal that looks good on all LOTRs.

1 year later
#4276 4 years ago

Hi fellow owners! I'm looking for a NOS or good used right ramp (515-7319-00-80) for my game. Please shoot me a PM if you can help me. Much appreciated!

1 year later
#6216 3 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

And on that note, if there IS anyone able to get a pinball center shipment delivered to me in the US, I'd be happy to pay for the hassle.

https://www.mailboxde.com/

I've used their service twice in the past few months, for sellers that don't ship internationally. Both were positive experiences.

Good luck!

1 year later
#8008 2 years ago

You know you're playing too much LOTR when...

...you're fully focused on completing Gandalf vs Saruman, inadvertently shoot the middle lane, Gandalf promises you to 'help you bear this burden' and you find yourself screaming out 'Don't you have something better to do?!'.

Priorities, Gandalf. Sheesh.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 25.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jappie.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=jappie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.