IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hughesdforce.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1779 6 years ago

I have an odd issue:
Running the flasher and coil diagnostics doesn't do anything. When I got the game, the diagnostic buttons on the coin door weren't working. I've since replaced them, and and can now navigate the menu system. The switch test matrix works too, but I get nada when I kick off the flasher diagnostic and the coil diagnostic.

Any ideas? The fuses look fine, but I haven't actually tested them yet.

Thanks in advance!

#1782 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The high power gets disabled when the door is open, did you pull the white plunger thing so it enables? Otherwise when the coin door is shut does the flasher(s) work in normal game?

Yes--I meant to mention that the coils and flashers work during the game, which is why I've been so perplexed. I'll look into the white plunger thing--thank you!

#1784 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

there are usually 2 white switch thingers. I circled one I think pulls out. One of them does!

Yep, that was it. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

And now that you mention it, I remember reading about that somewhere, but had completely forgotten about it until now. Oh, well--I doubt I'll forget again!

#1787 6 years ago

I'm thinking about springing for a ColorDMD. Everything I've seen has suggested strongly that LED vs LCD ColorDMD comes down to personal preference. Has anyone seen both on LotR, and do you have a preference?

#1801 6 years ago
Quoted from nman:

I've had both in mine and prefer the LED although admittedly it's a close call. Pretty sure I've posted more detailed reasons and favorite settings somewhere in either this or the "led vs lcd" thread if you're curious.
Summary: much better color saturation on the LED.

Thank you for chiming in. That thread is part of the research I've done so far, and it didn't give me a clear winner in general, so I wanted to query LotR people specifically.

2 months later
#1989 6 years ago

I just got one of these sets. I thought they'd sent me used plastics because they look discolored/dirty, but all of the "issues" are in the protective film. Now I'm excited again!

3 weeks later
#2027 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Looks like stoptap pointed you to the correct wires and connectors in the back box. Also be sure to trace the wires underneath the playfield from the trough to the back rear edge of the playfield where it slides along the left rail. My LOTR had two wires that were cut when the wiring harness got snagged along the playfield sliding mechanism as the playfield was lifted and lowered in the cabinet. I stripped and soldered the broken wires, applied some heatshrink, and made sure the harness was better secured away from the slide mechanism to prevent it from happening again.

I had this same thing happen. It was tough to figure out, but oh so satisfying to fix.

4 months later
#2631 6 years ago

Do any of you have tips for aiming/aligning the Ring ramp? Most of the Ring shots on my game bounce out, and multiple attempts at adjusting the ramp haven't improved things.

#2632 6 years ago

Also, is there a way to modify the Balrog travel? I occasionally have balls from the right VUK get stuck, pinned between the habitrail and the Balrog. This wouldn't be happening if the Balrog didn't swing as far to the right.

#2635 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

When it comes to making the ramp shot you might need to tweak the spinner. When the spinner is at rest if it's not at the right angle the ball will be significantly slowed down. On mine I just added a super tiny amount of lube at the spinner joints to make it spin like hell. Balls fly up the ramp with ease now.
That's not the only possible culprit though. Your flippers might need adjusting if they are old or are dragging.
The ramp itself shouldn't need to be tweaked unless the flap is bent and causing balls to brick and slow down. It's possible the tip of the ramp is getting deformed but that's probably not the main cause of missed ramp shots.

Quoted from Lermods:

Check to make sure you spinner is aligned properly. The bottom of the spinner should be tilting back.

I've rebuilt the flippers and they're strong enough, so I don't think that's the issue--most of the ramp shots hit the Ring and bounce back. I think they're hitting high and right of the hole, which would be the opposite problem: the ramp aimed too high or the balls traveling too fast. The game is a re-import from Italy, and I've found lots of unusual stuff in it, so figure the ramp might be off somehow.

I'll definitely look at the spinner and the tip of the ramp. Those could both be adding variance

#2640 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Which coils are on the flippers?? Coils too strong will overshoot the ring all day......

Quoted from FlippyD:

If you're overshooting the ring then I'd suggest the easiest fix is just to raise your play field angle. The extra energy in the shots would get used up climbing the steeper slope.

I'm using the "regular" coils. I had the PBL extra-hot ones for a while, and my plastics took a beating, so I went back to stock.

The playfield angle is 7.5 degrees right now--the middle of the bubble level. Raising it a bit higher might work, though I'm afraid that might make the left (Legolas) ramp too steep. We already see plenty of balls rolling partway up and then back down.

Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it!

#2649 6 years ago
Quoted from PinsOnly:

Make sure the Ring Magnet is working, very common to have the fuse blown for that magnet.

Quoted from FlippyD:

Concur! I forgot that this is exactly what happened to me once. Thought for sure the ramp was screwed up, spent a ton of time tweaking things... Blown magnet fuse fixes it all!

I've been without a working Ring magnet for quite a while, and didn't think it was all that important. I put the fuse back in, and it's changed gameplay far more than I expected. The ramp still isn't 100% on target, but it's definitely helped.

Good call, thank you!

2 years later
#6539 3 years ago

I recently acquired the "Ramp Trap Fix" plastics, and am looking to install it, but the holes don't match up with my machine in an obvious way. Has anyone installed this, and could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

Description:
Two commonly broken plastics found in front of the Ring at the back of your playfield. Together they create a ball trap which diverts the ball into the pop bumpers.

Link:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5021-81

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hughesdforce.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=hughesdforce and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.