IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider horseflesh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1641 6 years ago
Quoted from mesmashu:

So I did that and super glued it to the top of the other switch...

My friend, what you have here is a golden excuse to buy a spot welder!

Thanks for the idea! I was just about to buy a couple more OEM switches but I will try this instead.

2 weeks later
#1692 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

libtech Where did you get those instruction cards? I've looked and found several online, but not those.....

If you are card shopping, here are the ones I made.

EDIT: Uploaded at original size, no rescaling. Double-check your print settings to make sure you get the right size for the Stern cards. To make these I located an Elven font, scanned bits and pieces off the DVD cover, and mashed it all up in Photoshop. Enjoy!

LOTR Free Play card.pngLOTR Free Play card.png

LOTR rule card.pngLOTR rule card.png

#1697 6 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

When you upload the images there is a drop down box where you can select Original Size (no rescaling).

Missed that! Post fixed, thanks.

1 week later
#1721 6 years ago

thewool -- I was skeptical but that does sound fantastic.

4 years later
#7718 2 years ago

I have an original 2003 LOTR and I have never done the magnet transistor mod. I've also had it on one-ball DTR, giving the magnet a pretty easy life, but I would like to go back to the intended 2 ball mode.

I do have an IRL540N in the parts box... would y'all suggest pre-emptively swapping out the Q6 before it fails, and putting a 5A SB in F20?

(Oh, and I missed the discussion about LOTR's layout and how that relates to depth and longevity. More than any other game in my collection I find LOTR to be more than the sum of its parts. It doesn't have any exotic toys and the layout is somewhat mundane, yet somehow... it's magic anyway.)

#7725 2 years ago

My PL coils also seem to be fine, but I got them right after they were available and mostly missed the debate. Knowing there is a medium power option available, I'm going to re-evaluate them.

1 week later
#7737 2 years ago
Quoted from TylerJac:

Hey guys, ran into a little problem here and looking for some help. My 1st pin so take it easy on me. I've noticed that when i turn my LoTR off and back on the previous highscores are no longer there. Has anyone ran into this and is there a way to fix so it saves my scores?

That means the batteries aren't working, so open the backbox and take a look. If they aren't leaking, replace them, and order or make a remote battery holder.

If the batteries leaked... post a picture.

#7740 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

This one says for WPC but I think it should work fine in LotR:

It actually won't work as-is. The old Whitestar games are weird in that they have a 3x AA holder, but the electrical connections needed for the batteries are not at opposite corners like on WPC.

This product uses clips and the photos show the various install options. (I don't think clips are a great option since they might shake loose but this product page is a handy photo reference.)

https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-accessories/remote-battery-holder/

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7762 2 years ago
Quoted from TylerJac:

Sorry for the delay but just wanted to say thank you for all the help guys! changed the batteries and works like a charm.

Glad to hear it.

Enjoy your game but please, do not put off taking steps to prevent leaking batteries from messing up the game.

At a bare minimum, use lithium AAs, which rarely leak.

Next best, put in a remote battery holder.

GalaxyBrain time: install NVRAM so no batteries are needed. This is a good option for LOTR as it has no features that require the clock to be correct.

#7767 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Just to confirm...for LOTR 2003 versions, there isn't a way to backup the settings?

Nope! It's the Stone Age up in that backbox.

#7777 2 years ago

I have an original run LOTR which is currently on software version 9. I am going to install an NVRAM and so this is the time to look at a software update, too. I guess I could even update to the LE.

I'm honestly not sure if I have the shaker transistor but I bet I don't, it is an early game. I am not worried about installing it... But honestly, I don't love the shaker effect on my STTNG. maybe LOTR's is better? If you love your LE shaker, I would like to hear about it.

Edit to add:
This article: https://homepinballrepair.com/install-a-shaker-on-a-lord-of-the-rings-lotr-pinball-machine/

Says: "The latest that the early (2003) can run is 10.00. 10.02 is needed to run the shaker motor."

How can I find out if my game is too early to run 10.02?

#7779 2 years ago

I am popping NVRAM into my LOTR and since my software is v9, I may as well consider an update to 10 or 10.02 (LE). I have read some contradictory info about which games can be updated to 10.02 LE. If anyone reading has gone through it, I would appreciate a sanity check.

* My game was made March 2004, and it has the transistor at Q12.
* My game is on O/S 4

Therefore, I should be able to install the software updates (game, display, PAL, OS) and an official SAM shaker kit like:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5027-00

The instructions here seem pretty complete:
https://homepinballrepair.com/install-a-shaker-on-a-lord-of-the-rings-lotr-pinball-machine

Another option is to just install 10.0 and forget the shaker. Honestly, I have an old Pinbits shaker in my STTNG and I don't love it... it's kind of mediocre. But it's also kind of simple-minded, I think it just rumbles when the shield flashers fire.

How is the shaker implementation in LOTR? Will it win me over?

#7782 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll have to think about the shaker. I'm in no hurry to make a decision, the parts aren't going anywhere for a while.

#7787 2 years ago

Nice job ginmd ! That must have been satisfying.

Now before you put up a new GC score you'll miss... decide if you are going to update to 10.02 and the shaker motor!

#7798 2 years ago

That looks really nice... and it doesn't have obvious 3d printing striations on the pretty side!

1 week later
#7835 2 years ago

Ashram56 have you tried any non-ghosting LEDs? LEDOCD is supposed to work better with cheap LEDs but since you are clearly having a problem, I wonder if combining the two might help.

When was your LOTR made? What ROM revision are you running?

Weird problem for sure!

#7838 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I wonder if the newer revision (10.0) that's meant for the LE but works on the standard is different with LEDs.

Exactly what I am interested in finding out... I need to decide what to do with my game. I can leave it with the current v9 ROM, update to 10.0, or do the full update to LE/shaker with 10.02. If an update would cause LED problems, I want to know since an LED/LEDOCD update is also on my wish list.

If anyone on the thread has 10.0 or the full 10.02 LE chip update, plus LEDOCD, and zero problems ... hearing that would be reassuring!

Ashram56 -- very interesting, thanks. I'm stumped!

1 week later
#7881 2 years ago

I just ordered the APB coils... I have had the PBL coils in forever and nothing has broken yet, but I want the game to have another good twenty years with me.

The PBL coils are so strong they feel opulent, I will have to relearn the game I bet.

1 month later
#7935 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

is this game SUPPOSED to be a PITA to shove the playfield back in the cab?

Every Stern game of this vintage I have had or worked on has been a PITA in the same way. When I slide the playfield back in, it hits a stop, unlike a Bally/WMS game. I then have to reach in, grab the bottom rear of the playfield, and lift it up over the hump... while my other hand is on the other end of the playfield, to keep it from sliding the rest of the way in uncontrolled.

It absolutely sucks and if there is a better way to get the playfield back into position I would love to learn the trick.

#7937 2 years ago

Good to know I am not missing out on something, thanks @pinkitten.

2 weeks later
#8017 2 years ago
Quoted from usul27:

If you can do some soldering, Afterglow is now also available for Whitestar

That looks like a super cool project, but there is no way I am soldering SMD parts! Yikes.

#8022 2 years ago
Quoted from usul27:

No need for SMD soldering. Just order it with SMD assembly from a supplier that can do it.

If there is such a thing it would be cool if the author would post links. I wasn't able to find anything like that in the wiki.

I might be up for some through-hole soldering assembly if I could order a kit from one vendor, but I have enough work to do on my games that I am not going to invest time in running down all these parts myself. It's *super* cool that this project exists, but unless they add more hours to my day I'm unlikely to try it out.

2 months later
#8186 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

You can be a purist and keep the scratchy low-fi sound or accept modernization and get a Pinsound package for your game that really enhances the experience.

That's so subjective.

I like the scratchy original sound, because I have had my game for so long that the original sounds make me feel nostalgic and happy. I don't like the idea of any sound upgrades.

We can get different things out of a game, it's OK.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider horseflesh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=horseflesh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.