IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gogojohnnyquack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3698 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Thing is already debating swapping it out for an le

You might want to watch the recent Buffalo Pinball LOTR review before deciding to do that - You'll never be able to not see something!

#3704 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Guessing you are referring to gandalf's member, and I know, but don't mind it.

Yes, and I could live with it too given the cool hardware, real backglass, and shaker motor that comes with it!

#3716 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

metal trim recently powder coated, just awaiting time to fit:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I like that - enough gold but not too much!

#3758 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Funny thing is I was on my portable elliptical for this epic game!

This requires pics and video!

#3766 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

...redshift's... path of the dead diverter/ protector

I didn't know about this - I need one of those too. Pinbits' protector is fine but that bounce out of the POTD doesn't seem right. I wonder what Gomez's thought about that was?

2 weeks later
#3900 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

The LED looks more white/yellow, and the incandescent looks sort of white/orange. Of my 7 games, all of them are LED except for MM and LOTR. I think I'm going to change over my MM to 1 SMD warm, and I might keep LOTR stock because I just think it fits. Can't go wrong either way though!

I have put Comet's Sunlight LEDs in the GI and color matched LEDs in the inserts in all of my pins until LOTR came along. I have left the incandescents installed and moved my Pinstadiums into it. With the @Pinstadium adjusted to a slight orange/red tint everything is beautifully illuminated and the soft dimming effects of the incandescents look right. With a ColorDMD, Pinstadiums, and a Pinnovators Sub connection with external powered subwoofer I'm happy.

Well, actually, maybe I also need a POTD figure or two and some brass speaker grills and that cool Pinball Life spinner-flasher-eye-mod-thing and those cool wood Pingravings Middle Earth map instruction cards and. . .

#3922 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

The flipper also has a buzz sometimes when you hold it down

My left flipper buzzes when held, the right one does not. I haven't looked into why yet.

#3928 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I didn't use a spacer - I'll be tinkering today so I'll figure out what you mean and reinstall.

Chalkey is referring to a flipper spacer gauge used to create an 0.03 inch gap between the flipper bat and the flipper shaft bushing when tighting the flipper crank assembly. I use a credit card cut into shape but you can get one from Marco (instructions at the link too):

detail (resized).jpgdetail (resized).jpg

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8194

#3933 5 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

If not mechanical in nature, make sure your flipper EOS switches are gapped properly. They may need an adjustment now as well

That is something that I checked on mine but there are no EOS switches.

#3936 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

That is something that I checked on mine but there are no EOS switches.

Well, I feel like a block head. Yes, mine has EOS switches. Duh. Not sure where that picture in my mind came from.

#3949 5 years ago
Quoted from jsm172:

Thanks. That’s exactly what I was looking for. I am assuming green is the color I want for these?

Comet recently released a UV version of their post light that I plan on using. The AOTD figures are UV reactive so it should give them a good ghostly glow.

#3961 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I just put the KOTD in the back corner of the POTD. I had the set but more than one just looked too crowded to me. I can still see the ball and lanes very clearly and nudge as needed which I like but it still has the presence of the dead figure without looking like a toy factory. Subtlety can get lost these days pretty easily.

That’s my plan as well. Any pics?

#3969 5 years ago

My Ring magnet is not grabbing the ball. Fuse 20 is good. Connector to magnet is good, though that diode stuck in there is a new on on me. The spinner registers hits. What am I missing?

Added over 5 years ago:

See post #4136 for update on resolution and a tip on how not to screw things up more...

#3985 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Does the magnet work in solenoid test? Does the opto in the ring register in switch test?

The magnet does not work in solenoid test (with the coin door closed!). The opto works in switch test.

#3988 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You said fuse f20 is good. Did you pull it out of the holder and check it with a meter?

Yes, I pulled the fuses out of the holder to check them. I will meter the connector at the magnet today to see if it is receiving voltage during the test.

#4005 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

What fuses control the sound on LOTR?
I dont have a manual and ai could use some help. My sound went out.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4858/Stern_2003_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_English_Manual_complete.pdf

Also, there should be a fuse chart stapled inside the backbox with the boards.

#4009 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Problem solved:
Fuses F8 and F9 control the sound

Nice work! I wonder what made them blow?

#4017 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just bought a LOTR, and I seem to be missing a piece that covers the LED bulb pictured below. Does anyone have one or know where I can get one?
[quoted image]

Congrats on your LOTR. I recommend replacing that LED flasher with the original red bulb for the proper eerie pulsing glow to go with the creepy ring wraith.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-0906R

#4022 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

That flasher just hanging out there drives me crazy. It's on my list to design a lighted Weathertop with hidden flashers that should really clean that area up.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with, @pinballcharlie.

#4034 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Actually, there is nothing wrong with 100% Incandescent...

I agree. I have put LEDs in everything until LOTR. The bulbs seem correct. I did install Pinstadiums though. I have the GI integration module but no flashers. They are the first mod anyone should do to about any pin IMO.

#4039 5 years ago

Yup, $6k. I paid close to that for mine recently but it is absolutely mint. HOU with a new hundred balls played, manual never out of the bag, and complete extras bag. It's a keeper for me. I have installed the Pinbits plastics protectors, Pinstadiums, ColorDMD, but am debating a set of Cliffys. Being HOU and now with me on home play I can't see it getting enough use for things to really wear, other than the shooter lane. The Gollum VUK worried me with its multiple tries to stick the landing above but I've got that sorted now. I've typically Cliffy'd my other games that already had a little wear but am undecided on this one.

Thoughts?

#4043 5 years ago

Where there is a will, there is a way.

3 weeks later
#4136 5 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

My Ring magnet is not grabbing the ball. Fuse 20 is good. Connector to magnet is good, though that diode stuck in there is a new on on me. The spinner registers hits. What am I missing?

I double-checked the fuse and it was actually blown. I'm sure that I checked the correct one the first time but when I checked it the 2nd time it was indeed blown. I upgraded it to to a 4 ohm as I've read is recommended and haven't had a problem since. One bit of advice - if you go into the built-in help menu it takes you through a troubleshooting procedure, one of the later steps is to use a wire and short the tab of the magnet transistor to ground to test if the transistor is good and the magnet energizes. Mine tested bad (because the fuse was blown) but I decided to try shorting some nearby transistors to see what would happen. Well, what happened was that I got a spark and blew two transistors , so DON'T DO THAT! I had to replace the 2 transistors and the blown magnet fuse and now all is back to normal with no further issues after several games.

Added over 5 years ago:

That was a 4 amp fuse, not a 4 ohm. Doh. Thanks, @lotr_breath.

#4138 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Did you do it super quick like? I do that frequently as a troubleshooting step for misbehaving coils.

Not quick enough, apparently. If I do it again it will be a quick flick for sure.

#4142 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Just for clarity, that's 4 amp, not 4 ohm. Glad you got it fixed!

Doh. Thanks, LOTR_breath .

4 weeks later
#4221 4 years ago
Quoted from Yodamingus:

Any must haves ?

Pinstadiums. They make anything look like a whole new game. People say they're too expensive and that you can make the same thing for a fraction of the price, but most people can't. Most mods are simply window dressing and personalization but the Pinstadiums will literally make you go "Wow!" when you turn the game on after installation. Then when they turn off with the GI to highlight various modes and areas around the playfield it makes it even more effective. They are awesome.

#4237 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I used a zip tie to bind the wireform to the scoop that's connected to the pop plastic. This effectively removes most of the "bounce" in the wireform that causes the ball to bounce out.

Mine used to bounce back about as long as I would let it. My solution was similar but instead of the zip tie I loosened the applicable hardware and bent the ramp down in the same direction. It took a few tries but now a bounceback happens very rarely.

1 week later
#4311 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

My sister made this custom key rack for my birthday. Not sure I've seen anything like this before.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Cool keyrack, and nice little arcade you've got there. The Getaway is on my list for some day.

1 week later
#4353 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

I think a friend has an appropriate replacement switch, which is great since Marco is currently sold out of direct replacement.

I have some extra Titan post rubbers that I will use to replace the battered ones for now, and order better ones, along with a couple switches.

Throw the old switch away but keep the metal actuator from it. You never know when it will come in handy. Also, you can order about any microswitch from Marco and simply move the metal actuator on the broken switch over to it.

#4363 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Thanks again to everyone with the help. It was a dead switch, not the actuator. I had a new fork switch for the Gimli/Shire VUKs. I carefully removed the fork, put the actuator from dead "right ramp enter" on the new switch, soldered, put heat shrink tubing on, and successfully bench tested, reinstalled, and play tested.

Bravo. It's always a great feeling of accomplishment when one can fix an issue without a new parts order. Thanks for bringing it to the NW Pinball and Arcade Show.

2 months later
#4649 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

One question I do have, the shooter rod was riding very high

Check that your cabinet is level using the bottom edge at the front and back. Your playfield may show level but if the cabinet is twisted it will alter the shooter rod location relative to the ball.

2 weeks later
#4738 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

So I disconnected the relay box and the balrog wiring, checked all connections. Plugged it all back in.
Did the balrog test and it now Opens** and closes in the test
Haven't played a game yet but that's much more promising

ALL HAIL THE UNPLUG-REPLUG FIX

#4766 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

It's all factory and haven't changed. Confirmed They are 6-32 and I believe 2 or 2 1/4 length.
Unfortunately I'm in Australia so it's been proving difficult to get the right one in the right length.

Trimming to the right length is easy if you have a pair of standard electrical pliers or a hacksaw. Mark the too-long screw, put a nut on it below the cut line, cut it, file it a little to take the burr off, remove the nut to straighten the threads. Boom - one custom and correct length screw ready to go.

1 week later
#4833 4 years ago

This is a very cool mod, however if you have kept your LOTR stock with incandescent bulbs for their more classic feel then AUKraut's Palantir mod may not be for you. It uses a very bright LED that brings a different vibe to the playfield. Basically all the reasons why you haven't changed over to LEDs are all the reasons you may not like it. Super bright, abrupt on/off, flickering, and a cooler color temperature.

2 weeks later
#4903 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m looking for some cool rules cards. I can’t find much that I like for this game. Anyone have one that isn’t on pinball rebel or pinballcards.com?

Pingravings has a couple versions.

https://sites.google.com/view/pingravings/pingravings-home/gallery?authuser=0

LOTR 1 (resized).jpgLOTR 1 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#4980 4 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Epic fail on a LED conversion. It is too bright. I figure I now have to splurge on an LCD OCD to make the transitions smoother, but many of the lights are still too bright. Problem areas include:
*The green lamps on the Paths of the Dead - switch back to green incandescents?
*The clear inserts in the semi-circle in front of the flippers - go to a yellow color?
*The yellow flashers up front - back to incandescent
*The wired flexible LED behind the acrylic globe - I will put a standard red LED in there.
*The one GI below the left wire ramp - that really should have a plastic covering it - remove it altogether? - Make a plastic for it? - would have to fit the plastic around the screw / wire holder to that ramp.
*I put in white LEDs on the ring in the back panel. They are slightly annoying. Might have to change them to orange?
What have others seen?
The LEDs are single SMDs from Pinball Life. I think they have changed LEDs recently, maybe gone from 3528 to 5050?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record here, this is a game where many prefer the stock incandescents, me among them. Buy a set of Pinstadiums, connect them to the GI only, ignore the flasher connection, adjust them to a warm white, and BOOM. You have to see it to believe how awesome the game looks. IMO, Pinstadiums are the single best mod you can do to about any game. If you want to build them yourself then go for it.

#4988 4 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Having to move them when you lift the playfield really pisses me off as I forget!

Yeah, me too. I've reattached the swords on the right side figures a few times after forgetting about the Pinstadiums when raising the playfield. I have a set of the new Hover Mounts to install for this reason. Now to figure out where to place them...

2 weeks later
#5107 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

K. I'll spring for a chip puller.

This is the one you want. Don't get one of those things that has the arms to grab the chip. Gently slide this under each end of the chip and twist/rock it to lift the chip out without bending the pins.

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-26810-5-7-Inch-Precision-Lifter/dp/B00433SJB2/ref=sr_1_1

chip puller (resized).jpgchip puller (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#5311 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Any ideas about a flasher that stays on all the time. Its the bottom right flasher above the picture of the she elf. #14 i believe. I just took the bulb out because it was beginning to damage the yellow topper thing.

That would likely be a shorted transistor. Check page 6 & 7 of the manual for the coils table and location to find which transistor to test. There are many guides out there for how to test it and replace it if needed.

2 weeks later
#5363 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

I want to now do a deeper clean / waxing, and replace all rubbers.

Quoted from -ZZZ-:

how much of a pain is this to do?

It's fairly easy. The right side with the sword and figures is a little fiddly but nothing you couldn't do in a few hours taking your time and being careful. I put Titan clears on mine. You'll need some zip ties and a pair of flush-cutters to trim them in order to remove and reattach some of the figures. Be careful of the ones with swords, they're easily broken off.

#5397 4 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Can someone help me, ive been restoring my LORD, and ive removed the display to clean it an etc, i didnt take any picture of the position of the cables, can someone help.

The red stripe on the ribbon cable marks 'pin 1'. The manual has diagrams that will show you which pin on the board is 'pin 1' so you can orient the cable correctly and connect the red stripe to 'pin 1'.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/4858/Stern_2003_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_English_Manual_complete.pdf

#5432 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Ahh the joys of a new pin owner. I remember I had to look at the directions to figure out how to even turn my nib LOTR on back in 2004. It just happened to be the first pin I ever owned.

I didn't know about this feature for a few years after getting into this awesome hobby, so you are well ahead of the curve. Happy Flipping.

#5444 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The KEEP lights will shift right (right flipper) and left (left flipper) with each flipper press so you want the E that the ball is approaching to be in the unlit position when the ball gets there.

Just like the "ORC" bonus multiplier in-lanes at the top.

3 months later
#5730 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Anything I should know as a new LOTR owner?

Here are some lesser known mods that are pretty cool:

Pinnovators Subwoofer Output:

https://pinnovators.myshopify.com/collections/stern-subwoofer-kits/products/pinsub-whitestar-stern-kit

Pingravings Rule Cards:

https://sites.google.com/view/pingravings/pingravings-home/gallery

Pinball Life Sword Ramp Ball Lock Guide - First Run:

https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-sword-ramp-ball-lock-guide-first-run.html

8 months later
#6584 3 years ago

I have 2 Army of the Dead figures that I got to create a Path of the Dead mod but never got there. It was a set of 3 and I sold one figure to another Pinsider for his mod. I have the King of the Dead, an Army of the Dead Swordsman with his pile of skulls base, and their swords and a pike. They have never left the packaging. Make me a reasonable offer and I'll add $6 for shipping! Pics:

LOTR figures in packageLOTR figures in package

LOTR figuresLOTR figures

Added over 3 years ago:

!SOLD!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gogojohnnyquack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=gogojohnnyquack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.