IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#464 8 years ago
Quoted from yoshootme:

ok, what am i missing? I did everything to get to valinor. TABA. all the multi balls to completion. perhaps i didn't finish in the right order? I had DTR to complete last (missed the first time!). when I completed that, it said the "good job thing but more to do"...complete one more gift for valinor, which was lit and i hit the shot....did i need to have that 'last' gift first, before completing DTR???

You do, but I believe there is also a 7th gift that doesnt haven an insert on the playfield which you also need.

2 weeks later
#512 8 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

The mech that kicks the balls into the shooter lane to launch - is there a way to protect this area or have it kick out more "softly"?
2. Sometimes when the ball is coming down the Aragorn sword or the squiggly wire ramp from the ring, the ball lock plastic doesn't go down in time and the ball hits it. Is this normal?

Is it also throwing up an error on the dmd saying that the coil failed? I had this happen at my party saturday night.

Open up the machine, lift up the playfield. That plastic lock is attached to a plunger. The mechanism is a little odd because they needed a spring to push the plunger up so they used a c-clip to hold the spring in place. The spring can twist and work itself under the clip. It will then work part of the time, but not all. I would make sure that isn't the case first.

#516 8 years ago

Question on mine. I noticed that when you shoot the ball into the ring it hits the ring itself. What I mean is you shoot the shot. The ball hovers in place. When the ball goes to move forward it goes back and forth a couple of times first. You can hear it hitting the ring itself. I don't remember my old one doing that. Is it common?

6 months later
#958 7 years ago

Never understood the need for the upgraded coils. Rebuild the flippers and yes when the game has been running awhile it gets hard to hit the ramps. That being said I've put an hour on it straight and never felt I couldn't make a shot.

2 weeks later
#970 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

After consideration I am going to have to call BS on this statement. Unless I hear directly from George Gomez himself I am going to believe that this was not an intentional part of design. It just does not make sense for the ball to fall off habitrail onto Arwen plastic and then to fall into Shire. The Shire has a target at top and is designed to be hit from the flippers and not from falling from habitrail. I have installed the pinbits POTD diverter and it works like a charm. Every ball now diverts to the habitrail (as I believe it was designed to do so). I may be in the minority but I am now in the "Save the Shire" club and my machine will be set up to not tear up the Shire and have the ball divert like it should. If anyone is interested in saving your Shire here is link to purchase diverter...
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=464&zenid=c9a0c37a4a736c291b986fb241862b0c

There was no diverter on the originals. Adding some aftermarket crap and claiming it is how the game was designed is ignorance at best.

#975 7 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

The player is awarded bonus souls if the ball is not diverted to the habitrail and falls directly into the Shire from the POTD. This is clearly intentionally coded, and I can't see any legitimate argument against it.
The target in the Shire is indeed designed to be hit by the flippers and register the mystery award, but that's also why the mystery award is disabled as soon as the ball travels up to the POTD. It allows the Shire to serve a dual purpose.
I'm all for the addition of a diverter if that's what floats your boat, but it was absolutely NOT intended to be diverted every time.

Not only does it award souls, it is an increasing amount of souls for every time it has been hit coming off the potd.

Pinmister, put down the crackpipe. If you want to modify your game by all means. Stop pretending you know better than the designer. There is no way someone plays this machine everyday through every stage of development and fails to notice the ball has a high chance of falling off the mini playfield and into the vuk. There is no chance the coder implemented a special feature where the player is rewarded for this for happening.

#978 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

It is clunky when the ball falls off the POTD into the Shire, but to me that's part of the charm of LOTR. Yes, my original Arwen plastic got broken so it could be a poor design. But the hobby came up with a great solution, repro plastic and plastic protector that will be unlikely to get broken again. Also FYI, I do get the very rare occurance of the ball falling directly off to the side, missing the habitrail and landing directly onto the playfield. Rarely happens, but it keeps you on your toes!

Game that is supposed to last 3-5 years on route and has been out of production how long? It served its purpose. What collectors want is a bullet proof machine that never breaks. What ops want is something that is cheap and will serve its purpose for a certain period of time before they sell it on. It was a fine design as a route machine.

#986 7 years ago
Quoted from dookski:

Took me a while to figure out what the Arwen plastic is because the game at the bar I play has a piece of cardboard there.

Later ones are just a forest. Liv tyler wouldn't license her likeness again. Part of the reason I wonder if Stern could ever rerun lotr is the license issue. You would need the tolkien estate, new line, and then all the actors. They could do a ve with new art, but then you lose a lot of the character of the current.

2 years later
#3243 5 years ago

Does anyone happen to have a list of the figures for the game? I have a set sitting in a box, but i need to figure out if it has everything. It also has a Sauron figure which I do not recall seeing anyone use?

#3251 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Standard Figures Include:
Merry and Pippin on left sling
Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol on right sling
2 Orcs on the right side, one red one black. Aragorn on horseback above them.
Saruman upper left
Gandalf the white on horseback in middle
Orc with head in the back next to Barad-Dur
Ringwraith on horse, top of the sword

Cool, thanks for that. I think I have more than that, gotta go through it and then will end up listing it at some point.

4 months later
#3697 5 years ago

I just got mine this weekend, matt mckee topper, color dmd, sadly damaged the art blades fixing the balrog but will eventually get the gold mirror blades anyways. Few other mods, pf is super nice, cab isn't bad. Thing is already debating swapping it out for an le to go next to my avatar le.

#3702 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Not sure if you have seen these, but invaluable if you have mirror blades;
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

Interesting, if they p/o had put felt it would have been fine, but will definitely look into those when the time comes.

Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

You might want to watch the recent Buffalo Pinball LOTR review before deciding to do that - You'll never be able to not see something!

Guessing you are referring to gandalf's member, and I know, but don't mind it.

1 week later
#3771 5 years ago

What is a matt mckee topper worth these days? Mine came with one, debating letting it go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dung.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=dung and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.