IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deathhimself.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5811 4 years ago

Sold my LOTR once, won't make that mistake again. Just about everything else will have to move out first.

#5819 4 years ago

Questions for you folks who might have installed a Pinsound into LOTR.

1- I know you can load custom sounds and packages, but if you left the original sounds does the Pinsound board make any sound quality difference with the original sounds.

2- What ohm speakers can we use the Pinsound board amps, will it handle 4 & 8 ohms? Not mixing the two, just capable wise for 4ohm or 8ohm speakers.

Thinking of purchasing the Pinsound Plus for the machine, thanks for your input.

Thanks

#5820 4 years ago
Quoted from AvidPinPlayer:

Question: I have an original 2003 LOTR pinball machine. It has the original chip. I've been wanting to add a color DMD, but the color DMD web site states that the minimum requirement for a color dmd is the A10.00 version. Is it too difficult for an inexperience person to convert to the upgraded software, or is it just a "plug & play" matter?

Quoted from pinballjj:

Gently pry out the old chip ( I use a chip puller ,like a mini crowbar,but a small jewelers screwdriver or similar to pry will work as well) ,carefully line up the legs to the chip socket for the new and press. Anyone can do this.
I got my upgrade chips from Matt basement arcade,has shop on pinside

Remember if you are updating from that old of a version, you most likely will need to and should upgrade the whitestar boot OS to ver 8. I'm guessing you are most likely at 4. You can check by opening the back glass, find LED 1 on the cpu board, turn the machine on and count the number of blinks until boot. If you are at ver 8, it will blink 8 times.

#5823 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is inaccurate and would only apply if you were changing your Sound CPU ROM which you are not; and would then only apply if the Sound CPU rom was a different version. You will however need to update both your Game Rom and your Display ROM.

Your right, I just read that again and thought it was cpu, display and sound upgrading. So yes then he shouldn't have the random sound issues if he is only doing the cpu and display update.

#5831 4 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

1. not enough to justify the expense
2. don't know
I love Pinsound on this game because while the old sounds are iconic and great, the audio quality si poor. And most important, several guys have made amazing mixes that change the vibe and add some variety.

I agree on the music, plus I love some of the added callouts especially for path of the dead with the dead king and his taunt laugh. Yeah I think I'm going to take the leap and get the newer Pinsound Plus board. Now just to learn my way around and make my own customized package.

#5833 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

1) As said, maybe not enough to justify the expense. There is an "OST" mix that is very similar to the original but in better quality.
2) Unsure - but if you do buy speakers, look at Pinwoofer or something stateside. With shipping, it didn't make sense to get the Pinsound speakers due to price. I bought Pinwoofer setup, and while I haven't installed it yet, Dan Dean has been very helpful in answering questions and with follow up.
My LOTR sound board died last year, and after some research I decided to spend money on Pinsound + Headphone Station rather than board repair. LOTR is my wife's favorite game & likely staying in our house for a long time.
We have all 4 mixes (including original) on the card and (with Headphone Station) can switch between them on the fly. We think that the Wool & Hawknole mixes make it seem like playing a new game. There are a few choices they made that I don't agree with, and a few challenges with sound levels, but mostly I'm very impressed with the alternate mixes & almost always play with one of them loaded.
My advice would be to add the headphone station when buying the Pinsound+ board.

Thanks for your informative reply and you had answered one which I was thinking about already lol, which is how do you switch between packages. So just curious if I don't get the headphone package, is there no other way of switching them on boot up or on the fly? Another thing I was thinking of can we use a 10ft extended usb 3.0 cable in the pinsound board like we do on the spike systems for updating code so we don't have to constantly be going in to the backbox.

As far as it goes for speakers, I already have several NIB sets here that's why I was curious what Ohms will the board handle safely without over working the amp. I did write their tech support on that and hopefully they'll clue me in.

I was listening to several of the mixes and I'm really liking the Wool Remix v1. Yeah I'm going to breakdown and order it and hopefully don't have to wait forever for it to arrive from over seas lol. Thanks for your input.

#5842 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I have pinsound in my LOTR...and love it. I tried the 3 different remix packages (which is great to have several remixes)...but of course I forget which package I chose ( I thought one was definitely better than the others ).
On your usb stick, you can have as many packages as you want, but that increases the load time when you first turn on the machine. While pinsound is loading you won't have sound for a few minutes. I trimmed it down to just the original sound package and my preferred remix, and sound comes on within...maybe 30 seconds or less.
Whats great is that if you do want to change it up, its super easy to switch audio packages. All you need to do is go to volume 0, hit down one more time (or maybe its just going down to 0 does it), you'll hear a chime from pinsound, then the next package is loaded. Repeat to get to the next package in the list. Very easy.

I'm really looking forward to it as there are some great original soundtrack scores for this movie which would be excellent in the game. Now that they released their shaker motor mod, one must wonder do you still need the v10.02 cpu and pal chip to use the shaker or do you now do it with their shaker and customize it through their software. Hmmm

#5844 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

If you think you may want to sell LOTR in the future

I made that mistake once, and took me a good while to find another in fantastic condition. This one isn't leaving lol

#5849 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Has anybody made new holes for the ring LED and moved it? Basicallly...where it is right now, from the players viewpoint, the LED bulbs are pushed too forward (towards the player), so its hard to tell whats actually lit up.
Actually...the only rings I care about are the elf rings, but as is its hard to tell if there are 1,2, or 3 rings lit.
[quoted image]
If I'm hovering over the ring board, its easy to see the individual bulbs.
[quoted image]
My only worry with moving it ...is that the bulbs become more exposed and I don't like looking at exposed lights on the PF (like GI lights).

This may sound stupid but have you looked at the orientation of yours now and compared it to other under the PF shots at that insert to see if the wires are in the same spot? Just a thought that someone might have removed it once for cleaning etc, and put it back in a different rotation then it was originally if that's possibly. I do believe that LED board is a square mount so anything is possible.

#5856 4 years ago

Actually, I have three different LED lights ... red, white, and blue. Can't go wrong telling which ring(s) is lit

I was actually quoting and replying to Goddog about the orientation of his rings led insert being slightly out of alignment

#5857 4 years ago

So I'm upgrading to V A10.0 from V 4.0 (2003) because I want to install a color dmd and it requires V A10.0. Besides being able to add a color dmd, are there any other advantages , improvements, or enhanced game play between the old V 4.0 and the new V A10.00?

If you are ordering the chips, why not just go to 10.02. At some point if you want to add the shaker motor you'll already be at 10.02, you'll just need the order the PAL chip at that point. Shakers are awesome in LOTR.

#5860 4 years ago

It has to be close to 7 years now since I came up with the lighted staff mod, back then I used a little larger led and now I went with a much smaller one but dam 7 years later smaller leds and older eyes really makes thing um interesting to say the least when making this stuff. Okay now that this is done I just have to go pick up my new lotr machine now lol.

IMG_8938 (resized).jpgIMG_8938 (resized).jpgIMG_8939 (resized).jpgIMG_8939 (resized).jpg
#5863 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I never noticed but look like Gandalf is wearing a pair of air jordans!

LOl, yep Air Jordans white combat boot high tops. Thanks on the staff, this time around I didn't want it over powering so dropped to the smaller led warm white so the effects of Mount Doom eruptions and such don't get washed out from it.

#5874 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

That looks fantastic! I want one!!

I can make it for you, do you have him on shadowfoxg already? If not buy one on ebay usually around 20.00, and I'll make it for you for the additional costs for the led, led board and plugs.

Here is a few shots of it off, I make the top of the staff to have what appears to be a hazy crystal on top.
IMG_8961 (resized).jpgIMG_8961 (resized).jpgIMG_8962 (resized).jpgIMG_8962 (resized).jpg

#5876 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

God I love this game

Amen, I just got back home from picking one up again after years of me stupidly selling off my first one. Soon as I fired up it at the sellers place (social distancing of course ) and hitting those shots we smooth as ice, even the seller who isn't a lotr fan said he just loved the flow on the game. Hitting that start button once again after all this time, do I dare say it was better then sex. (before you flame remember some of us are married 30+ years here lol)

#5878 4 years ago

Holy shit, boy did I fuck that one up yes I meant Shadowfax lmao... I'll shoot you back my number for there are options you can have if you like.

#5880 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Are you opening that up for anybody else? I would love one. I understand that it takes a while to make these mods though so I'm willing to do all the work if you can just give suggestions on sourcing the parts...

I'm good with either way, I don't mind doing another one or if you wish to have the enjoyment of doing it I can tell what you'll need, where to get it and the process of what I did.

PM me tomorrow and I'll shoot you my number can talk from there.

#5896 4 years ago

I have been searching but only coming up with the Palantir Mod, but has anyone figured out a way to stop the Palantir Target from moving side to side?

Thanks

#5898 4 years ago

Awesome thank you. So I'm assuming the single one piece splint, not the larger two piece.

#5908 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Kaneda says LOTR will be remade in his podcast today. And..... go!

This is what he stated:

UPDATE on this show after it went up as I got more details on the new LOTR offering.

1. Will be new LOTR art kit available vs entirely new game (not a vault)
2. Will be new cabinet art, PF art, backbox and translite art
3. Will need a LOTR to swap this kit in
4. New sculpt for game
5. PF swap will be required (ugh)
6. Kits will be limited and $$$

Goal is for Stern to see this and make this the vault.

Now IMHO ( not Kaneda ) in all actuality LOTR Vault or LOTR-R probably will not happen.

#5910 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Who will be the front end sales for all this stuff? Who's sponsoring it all? Might be interested in the trans and/or pf depending on how they come out.

No clue, but his cabinet decals are amazing and would love to grab a set of those.

#5911 3 years ago

Question, I’m running version 10.02 cpu and would like to know in there anyway of putting attract music on like we can do in other titles?

#5913 3 years ago
Quoted from Tjohejsan:

Hello.
Is there any decal to buy in the area of the circle?[quoted image]

I have only seen one for the outer ring of the circle.

ebay.com link: Pinball Lord of The Rings Outside Ring Insert Decal

#5921 3 years ago

Holy Shit... Pinsound in LOTR is killer!!! Love the dam near movie theater sound experience now lol.

#5923 3 years ago
Quoted from yyyyyikes:

that sounds incredible - would be interested in seeing a video.
i put a pinsound in cftbl years ago and didn't like it but that was an old version i guess.
still have it if anyone wants one. not sure if bally/williams is different? but it probably
works better in something other than creature - or the sound packs are much better now.

Yeah some of those sound packages are awesome, but the real fun is making your own files from captures that you do yourself. It's great to start off with sound compilations then build and replace friles from those as you see fit. I already changed about 65% on one of the sound packages with files I captured from the movies and edited them to drop in. It does take a bit of work and playing with the gains to get them normalized with the other callouts and music but it's cool as hell.

Not too sure about all the difference from Pinsound 1 to Pinsound Plus but I went with the plus so I can add the shaker aspect to the game too without having to search for pal chip, v10.02 cpu swap etc.. Which I already did before the buying the pinsound lol, but however now I can add shaker to what ever callout or action target I like, in any one of 9 preset patterns or custom configuration for time length, starting power and ending power.

#5926 3 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

i was this close to pulling the trigger on pinsound last week. Did u get shaker motor too. I couldnt determine if i needed to up grade to 10.03 to use the shaker motor or if it would work with 10.00. Did u get ear phone jack as well. Convince me. twist my arm. was it easy to put in.

If you buy their pinsound plus board and their shaker motor kit with the motion board, you don't need to update anything past V10.00. So basically the 10.02 cpu and the pal chip is not needed now.

In addition with their pinsound studio software you can configure when and where you want to shaker motor to kick in, for how long and for how much strength. Ok I admit it was a bit hazy for the first few minutes of me reading for I'm a person who likes to tinker and want to configure it my way with my sound files but after a few minutes it was a piece of cake and setting up the shaker command are just a push of the button super simple.

The install is very straight forward and easy to do, just follow the step by step instructions. The one thing I can tell you that they didn't state is when its all connected it tell you the look at the motion board for the three led lights to be ready to show it was done properly. Well if you leave the coin door open as I did when booting up, the third light on the motion board doesn't light up. I was like WTF, I re-read those instructions 4x time re-checked all my connections and was stumped. Closed my coin door and poof the light came on, then I was like duh the high voltage cutoff lol.

I purchased the whole package deal with their speakers and headset station and all, overall I"m very impressed, the sounds are amazing, their speakers sound great, the head set station raises and lowers volumes of the machine and or headset when one is connected plus you can change through kits on the fly with it. I do not regret buying it one bit.

BTW pinsider: Mr.Tantrum has an awesome write up /guide on these and its a good read and what programs are suggested to use that are free use a well. I happen to speak with him recently via phone and we had a great conversation and discussed the possibilities and future expansion on the Pinsound board and features.

#5929 3 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

I have the u213 gold pal chips and the 10.02 cpu chips and the os8 chips if anyone needs them. I am rompingirl on ebay but pricing direct is much better.

I bought set from you on eBay , still waiting for them to arrive but they are no longer needed now that I switched up the shaker motor situation lol.

#5931 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

I don't have a mod in mind right now that I would control, but maybe something like a topper light or something

Already have a mod in mind and ordered the parts just waiting on delivery. Can’t wait to see how it will interact with the game play

#5933 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Well thats no good to keep it in the dark!
In the software, do you already know how that extra mod port is configured? Like...do you have options for always on/off, only on for X amount of seconds after a certain sound is played, etc?
Basically with the software...are you configuring everything based on when sounds play or is it something else? LIke...for the shaker...to get it working with Balrog hits...you have to search for the balrog sound and have the shaker correspond with that sound?

Yes, In the software you can call at what point you want the ext relay to kick on, for how long you want it to stay on and for how many times you want to loop on and off as if you were connecting external leds to flash or smoke machine to blast etc... and duration of each cycle.

#5934 3 years ago

Is anyone else making a target splint for the Palantir taget other then Mezel Mods? Their material is way too soft with flexing so the target is back to moving again.

Thanks

#5936 3 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I can confirm this after ~5-10 games.

I found this, think I'm going to give it a shot.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BK3

#5940 3 years ago
Quoted from jdroc:

I put these in my LoTR and Deadpool a couple months ago and both are staying strong (and straight) a few hundred games later.

Awesome, thanks for the product update. I have found that those 3d printed ones starting moving just after 4 games with way too much flex and give to them.

#5945 3 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Got my Legolas deflector / protector done. The only question is does Legolas ride alone or with Gimili? What do you all think? It is the Legolas ramp, but he looks pretty cool with Gimili. Up vote Legolas rides alone, down vote he rides with Gimili
[quoted image][quoted image]

With Gimli all the way....

#5948 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Not a huge fan of those protectors.. My No Fear came with one and I did not like it much :/ Also this LOTR playfield has very noticeable vertical lines (planking?) across the playfield, so will get a new pf in a few years.
So just need advice on making it flush again for now

Two flat pieces of wood and a long neck clamp. One piece above the PF one below both at the insert and tighten the clamp slowly until it presses the insert back to its level position, then glue the insert to hold it in place.

#5949 3 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Got my Legolas deflector / protector done.

BTW where did you grab that plexi deflector base from, I’d like to purchase one myself. Looks great just wish their heads were facing inward rather then outward.

#5953 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I do have the Arwen plastic protector in place though

That's a hard one to found now, the protector. The plastic itself is near impossible unless you order a repro from overseas if they still have it.

#5962 3 years ago
Quoted from yyyyyikes:

our figure's are way nicer than the one's that came with mine.

Those figures are from this set.

ebay.com link: The Lord of the Rings AOME Fellowship Collection Set Of 9 Figs Play Along Toys

#5979 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Hello All. Re-Joined the club yesterday with a barely played HUO game. I'm looking to protect the Arwen plastic. Does anyone have one of those redshift ramps or a thick acrylic covering laying around? My plan b is the golem plastic in the store. Not interested in the deflector that stops the ball from falling in to Shire. Thanks!

Be sure to check if there are washers under the left orbit ball guide studs, if not I recommend doing that now before the guide starts to dig into the PF just behind the blue rubber bumper.

#8 washers work the best that are hardly even seen.

#5981 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Good thinking. Now that you mention it I think I had that problem and bought a cliffy

Yep common issue there because they were too cheap to add washers lol. I just added washers and then used a thin 1/4"W x 1"L piece of mylar under the bumper from stud to rubber face just for some added protection.

#5984 3 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Do you put washers on all of the posts, or just the first one?

I put a washer on all the stud posts with the exception of the first post in which I put two washers, then a small mylar strip as I stated. I'll post a pix.
360C9AAC-1B9D-4544-91A5-2453897392F5 (resized).jpeg360C9AAC-1B9D-4544-91A5-2453897392F5 (resized).jpeg864D65B2-AFE0-4164-9376-2BF3865D83C0 (resized).jpeg864D65B2-AFE0-4164-9376-2BF3865D83C0 (resized).jpeg

#5987 3 years ago
Quoted from yyyyyikes:

My god your machine is clean. I checked mine because of this, the wear is behind the rubber at the front of the guide. Hadn't seen that.

Yeah I was lucky enough to scoop up a HUO with 541 plays, not even the ring ramp was damaged. So I took all emergency precautions as soon as it hit the house lol. Took about two hours but well worth it.

#5989 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I'm planning on cliffies, lollipops/mylar, and Arwen protector so far

Cliffy's for sure all the way around.

Lollipops nope, I went with the clear Mylar protectors that go around the flipper buttons so the full artwork is still exposed but the lollipops are good as well.

Arwen plastic protector I just ordered international so waiting on that to arrive.

Leg cabinet protectors

Small Mylar patches cut and placed under the flaps of each ramp and including in front of the Palantir target and Balrog. Some folks hate mylar it don't personally bother me if done nicely, so I also make a custom mylar cut and covered the LED ring insert along with the three multi-ball inserts just in front of the flippers in between the slings. Basically protecting a high traction areas. In addition any ball drop area from the trails gets a piece of mylar on the bullseye spot.

Center ramp unbend-able post, the stock one is shit. Speaking of shit so is Sterns stock back sleeves post rubbers (hard as hell) changed them all to softer black post sleeves.

Pretty much that's it for protectors now mods lol that's a different story..........

#5991 3 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

Am i right in thinking that the game was originally released with the path of dead having two pathways out. One over top of arewin and into the shire and the other down the legolas ramp?

Not sure if it was purposely intended to be two exits but what you get for the shire bounce is a extra 250 souls, not worth the loss of an Arwen plastic IMHO.

#5997 3 years ago

The number 8 washers fit perfectly in the black ring around the stud they also have a smooth side and a flat side I put them with the smooth side down to the PF. The wear is caused from the corner edge or low spot of the metal guide getting pounded into the wood from the ball hits, with two washers on the first stud that corner will not hit the wood again, nor does it rub against the mylar. The mylar is basically for the quick direction change of the ball going and coming right off that bumper not to wear in that spot plus I send it back to the stud as well. If it lasts it lasts, if it only last 400 games that is still 400 games more of protection versus having nothing but even on my old LOTR when I did this the mylar and PF has not had any damage from those steps I listed above.

#5998 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Cliff makes a protector for the area under the blue rubber. He sells it as part of his kit and it worked well for me on my last game.

Actually even Cliffy has suggested to install those washers there too come to think of it now

#5999 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

So I want to clean this up a bit. But what is original with LOTR? Is there only the 1 Arwen plastic? And the 3 other plastics here were added later?

Originally just the Arwen plastic.

#6002 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

And I now see the cliffy that is made for the blue nub of LOTR:

Yeah I'm not sure how it's held on, maybe some double sided tape along with the first stud drops through it "shrug".

I see what you mean about the two screw vs the one but even if the blue rubber moves a bit that's not going to wear the PF it's the guide digging down, Stern was too cheap to add washers to the posts as where Williams Bally always had on their posts. I see the Cliffy's fix but wonder with the over lap the extends outward into the lanes does it interfere with the ball travels? Maybe someone who has one can chime in on the install and if it affects the balls path of motion.

#6010 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

ere is an exaggerated picture of what happens. The ball hits the blue nub, and since there is only one screw, it can rotate from the ball hits. Then when the orbit guide is hit, and moves, the corner of this holder digs into the PF.

Holy crap, I have never seen mine move like that at all. Make me wonder should we sink another screw in there.

#6030 3 years ago

Thought I'd take a break from working on the LOTR sound package converting every call out from mono track to stereo tracks then applying stereo effect, finally amplifying every track to a normalized setting without clipping ...my eyes and ears are killing me lol.

I like the idea of flipping the blue nub upside on the ball guide, can you post a picture of it? Do you have the blue rubber resting on the PF or just hovering above it.

#6033 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

The led ocd board would help regain most of the original look of the incandescents

Have it in my LOTR and absolutely love it, it's a must if you are going to LED the machine and get the GI Gizmo as well for the LED GI's.

#6052 3 years ago

Finally straightened out that leaning heroine addict Saruman, he is upright on his feet once again and added a mini map of Middle Earth which isn’t quite finished yet.

7D7F9ADB-70B1-4511-9F9A-8EA674400E6E (resized).jpeg7D7F9ADB-70B1-4511-9F9A-8EA674400E6E (resized).jpeg20F4E555-30D3-4298-B039-EEA7DCE2AC43 (resized).jpeg20F4E555-30D3-4298-B039-EEA7DCE2AC43 (resized).jpeg
#6053 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I want to give a special shout out to deathhimself for hooking me up with my Gandolf staff mod; it looks fantastic!
[quoted image]

Looks great, did you goto GI's, Insert or 12v steady source? Enjoy!!!

#6060 3 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I put one in my LOTR also today. No more side to side of the EYE.

Yep, tossed one of the those metal ones in my LOTR two days ago and the target hasn't budged since.

#6062 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

In case anyone doesn't know what a 200 play lotr looks like, this is the beauty I mentioned I had picked up. super excited, just waiting on cliffies. The game didn't have the tilt Bob installed and the weak post at the ring wasn't even bent yet. No flipper button wear or shooter wear, so planning on keeping it that way
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful it’s exactly like mine with 541 plays. Is it a 2004 run machine? The PF colors look identical to mine and did it come with ver 8 roms?

My Gandalf was the same too, that had to go lol.

Nice score on this one

#6078 3 years ago

I know on Monster Bash Drac would start to slow up and make noise, so we took the gear box apart and re greased it up. Wonder if anyone has done this with Balrog

#6112 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Pretty common. Your balls could be magnetized slowing down how fast they roll. You can also move the coil bracket slightly to see if that helps.

Yep, try carbon steel balls they don't magnetize as quickly. They also sell a piece of plastic insulator for the ramp lock area as well to help alleviate this.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=463&zenid=a1fbadb52611b95977439d62959889ea

#6135 3 years ago

and they say dwarfs have no sense of humor.

#6137 3 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

I thought that scene was one of the best. why it was edited out of the orginal movie i couldn't understand.

I'm glad they left it in the directors cut, then again for any fan that should be the only versions to watch. So here I sit skimming thru the trilogy for additional sounds to import into pinsound

Hopefully yours arrived already

#6143 3 years ago

If anyone is on the fence whether to order Franck's LOTR Mods or not, I say hell yes!! This three mods are awesome, here is a quick video showing two of them. The ring of fire is not shown cause I cant video and play at the same time lol.

#6145 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

They do look good. Do you have a pinsound in that?

Yep, re captured a lot of the sounds again for it there were many I didn’t care for

#6147 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That animated Palantir is pretty cool!

Video doesn't really do these mods any justice, they are excellent. The PowerBlades are pretty sweet too, especially on the blackout sequences.

#6153 3 years ago

I'm surprised Elrond wasn't there and it was great to see Theoden at the end funny as hell, speaking of which I see that John "Gimili" never lost his sense of humor. What a great and magical cast.

1 week later
#6162 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

My ring magnet stopped working, where to look first?
Is it normal that they work for a while and suddenly stop working?

Check fuse

1 week later
#6167 3 years ago

RIP Bilbo Baggins

RIP Bilbo  (resized).pngRIP Bilbo (resized).png
#6178 3 years ago

Sword ramp insulator no problems again, for 4.00 its worth it.

http://pinbits2.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=463

#6195 3 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

In the middle of restoring my LOTR. (Ramps and wireforms are off to Pinball plating for brass) and I noticed my #6 plastic (far back left corner) is broken and missing. (This machine was heavily routed before I got it) Anyone know where I can pick up a spare #6 and maybe an Arwen (even a repro is fine) plastic? I'd like to exhaust other options without dropping crazy prices for a full set. If anyone has spares I could probably use the extra thick plastics and a backboard decal, but now I'm just being picky about mine. More than happy to pay if anyone has spares!

They are overseas I have dealt with them in the past without any issues.

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/7205/arwen-plastic-for-the-lord-of-the-rings

#6247 3 years ago

LOTR stock power cord wire is 18AWG 3 wire.....

#6249 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Thanks!
Just a noob questions... Why does it fit in the 16 slot of my wire stripper, and work perfectly.
If I put it in the 18, it seems to be loose.

Pending on the stripper, they should be slightly loose and bladed at a slight angle when you pull to strip the wire, if they are too snug then it will chew through and cut strains away or break the wire.

2 weeks later
#6272 3 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Long time since I had a LOTR but trying to remember how you know you have completed one of the three main mb's?
Watching youtube even when they go solid, they aren't necessarily finished?
Thanks

When they are lit solid you have played each of those multi-balls.

1 week later
#6292 3 years ago
Quoted from DystopicPinball:

Hi all, just bought a LOTR standard edition. My pinball come with CPU and DISPLAY v.6.0
My questions:
to upgrade to standard 10.0 i need just the CPU + DISPLAY roms upgrade? Audio is needed too?
worth to make the conversion to 10.2 (LE edition)? This will add me the option to install a cool shaker motor
A LOTR converted to LOTR LE have compatibility problems or work fine?

Audio shouldn't be needed, just the CPU and display ROMS. If you want to add a shaker then you'll need CPU ROM 10.02 and the PAL chip. The display ROM still stays the same at 10.0.

So if you're upgrading be sure to get the 10.2 CPU and 10.0 Display ROMS, getting the 10.0 CPU just wouldn't make sense at this point. You can always add the PAL chip and shaker motor later on.

No issues on the LE upgrade and we don't have to look at the golden prick on the backglass as well, win win for standard editions

#6303 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

Should I update the game code?
I am adding colordmd lcd. Would I still need to update display code?
Ps: Its been a long journey but I joined the club [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, your missing a lot. Upgrade to CPU 10.02, Display 10.0.

#6313 3 years ago
Quoted from Scooter108:

So don't "upgrade" to LED lighting IYO? Anyone else weigh in? Thanks

I did and love it, however if you do LED OCD board is a must and get the GI Gizmo from him as well for your GI lights.

#6315 3 years ago

To add to that if you do go LED with the OCD boards, don't waste money on non ghosting leds just buy the regular leds as the OCD board take care of that.

1 week later
#6332 3 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Where are we getting Whitestar CPU/Sound boards repaired these days? Thanks!

If you are in the U.S. look up Chris Hibler here on the forums and shoot him a PM. He does excellent work.

#6341 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

How to install this Cliffy protector?
All the other ones were easy haha
[quoted image]

Goes into the shooter lane. Unscrew the wood rail on the right side of the shooter lane, place the cliffy down that the screw goes through the hole and it looks like the other end has a piece that digs into the wood as you tighten down the rail. Tighten down slowly keep a little pressure on the edge of the protector in the shooter lane so it don't move after you positioned it in place. Don't forget to peel the clear protecting off first.

You might have to remove a few screws to lift the wood rail enough to position the protector.
D7F718AA-68E3-4666-A61E-241DB4834C92 (resized).jpegD7F718AA-68E3-4666-A61E-241DB4834C92 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#6354 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Is this one of Jay's original Palantir mods?? The base doesn't match the ones I have on mine.
Either way, removing the Palantir with the bracket you should be able to use some adhesive sealant or epoxy to help it from stop moving.

yep, a drop of clear silicone will do the trick. Let it setup a good hour or two before playing.

#6358 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Or it sounds like maybe just a drop from a hot glue gun would work too..and be removable later if needed.

Hot Glue breaks loose eventually with all the vibrations. Silicone or Goop glue dries a little flexible and you can always peel up later on with nothing left behind if you want to remove them.

3 weeks later
#6399 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

They are 8.0 got a local guy burning 10.0 for me. It's my understanding that 10.2 only works for LE, is that true?

Get version 10.02. That will work just fine in addition if you ever wanted to add a shaker you'll already have the needed CPU version, you'll just need to get the PAL chip at that point.

10.0 & 10.02 are the same code with the exception of the programed shaker routines in 10.02

#6405 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

To be honest with you that's news to me lol, is there a good spot to buy that protector from?

ebay.com link: Plastic Protectors Set for STERN Lord Of The Rings Pinball Machine

1 week later
#6429 3 years ago

When it's doing that is the magnet still active holding the ball or can you easily push it through?

After the first few secs of the hold of course.

Also some modes hold the ball then drop it out, others hold the ball then pull it through. Did you try other modes to catch the ball and see what happens?

#6431 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Does this with every mode, and yeah I can push it through.

What version CPU?

#6448 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Thanks everyone for your help, ring is back in action!

Glad to hear it but really consider upgrading to CPU 10.02 and display 10.0. There is a lot more code that you are missing out on.

#6450 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Really? I thought it was mostly visual, did they change some of the modes?

from 9 to 10 it was mostly display, from 8 to 10 there are quite a bit of adds and fixes to a lot of coding. You can get the pair set for like $30.00. Get version 10.02 on the cpu for if you ever want to add a shaker you already have the correct version, the display remains the same at 10.0 then all you'll need to do is get the PAL chip which is like $15.00 or some folks offer it with the whole upgrade set for the shaker to run.

#6453 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hello got Lotr not too long ago and I’m new to fixing things. I noticed that the flashers never turn on. I looked at the fuses and it looks like f22 is blown? I went to pinball life to try to get some fuses but I don’t know which one to get. Is there a link of some fuses that I should get to replace f22 and others if they break in future? Thanks
[quoted image]

3BFFAFA1-D1D5-4723-A4EF-FE95F5190672 (resized).jpeg3BFFAFA1-D1D5-4723-A4EF-FE95F5190672 (resized).jpeg
#6458 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

About to order ROMS from Matt's Arcade but want to make sure I understand everything correctly. I need the 10.2 CPU ROM to run a shaker motor along with a PAL chip, and 10.0 display ROM. If I install the 10.2 CPU without the PAL will the machine run? It appears that Matt doesn't sell the PAL chips, does anyone know a reliable source for these?

Ok just to make sure you are clear lol

LOTR Ver 10 and 10.02 is the same CPU code with the exception of the shaker motor routines. So yes get the CPU ver 10.02

Display is version 10.0 for either of the two CPU versions mentioned above.

PAL chip is required for the shaker motor to work, this is the chip at U213 if I recall correctly. However CPU version 10.02 will run just fine in the game without changing the PAL chip, just that a shaker if installed won't activate it's routines until the PAL chip is replaced.

lotr chip (resized).jpglotr chip (resized).jpg
#6464 3 years ago
Quoted from DystopicPinball:

Can the LOTR LE have da Display language in Italian?

I'm not 1000% sure but I believe the language is in the Display ROM not the CPU Rom. Display ROM 10.0 is required for CPU ROM 10.02 and Display ROM 10.0 comes in all languages so by this logic I would think yes the 10.02 CPU should work in Italian with the 10.0 Display Rom for Italian.

#6470 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

These 3 light bulbs do not work. I’m assuming they are flashers? I used a multimeter in all the fuses and they appear to be fine. It seems the bottom 2 bulbs are LED and makes me think the bulb is okay. When I do flasher test as seen on the screen, nothing lights up. Any recommendations? TIA
[quoted image]

If you are doing the flasher test with the coin door open, be sure to pull out the high power cutoff switch that the door normally meets when its closed otherwise power to those flashers and coils are cut off.

#6473 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Your machine looks awesome what is your lighting setup?

He has Pinstadiums installed with UV lighting.

#6475 3 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

So...I bought some path of the dead figures for cheap locally. Am I out of luck with mounting hardware and a light kit?

Piecemeal the parts. The POTD plexi glass can still be purchased, go to your favorite pinball supplier and buy the posts (green looks cool) with screws and rubbers, finally there a million options for the LEDs all over ebay. You can connect them to the POTD insert lights on the back panel or the GI lights which ever you like. IMHO for my liking I went to the GI's.

#6483 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Honestly especially if you're a fan of the movies, the Pinsound board with the alternate sound tracks is probably the best single mod for the game.

Agree, actually for several games it is really good in. Doing a CFTBL package now that I finished my LOTR package.

#6491 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Do you still recommend upgrading to pinsound? We’re you just sick of stock sounds?

Definitely, probably the best mod you can do this machine. In addition to all the other great mods of course

3 weeks later
#6543 3 years ago
Quoted from etien:

Hi, to install a shaker on an original LOTR what do you guys advice? Going the original update way ( can be found in pinballlife as the Lord of the Rings Complete Shaker Kit ) or the pinsound approach ( ? Do both shake at the same moment ? )

If you have a pinsound already, no question that is the best approach. I love making custom shaker routines in this machine.

#6568 3 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

That's kinda what I figured. For a game that has such a robust mod scene available and many considered to be real improvements (LED w/ LEDOCD, Palantir glass eye, path of the dead figures, ColorDMD and more) it makes it almost LESS desirable to find a top dollar original to start from unless you are ok with being $8000-$9000 into a LOTR pro... Has one ever sold that high that was non-LE?
Many good (but not great) condition machines are out there for 6500 including all of the mods I mentioned.

LOTR never came as a pro offer, they did offer the LE model years later with a mirrored backglass and lack of playfield figures. The only other difference was the shaker motor and version 10.02 cpu (shaker routines).

True HUO or excellent condition LOTR's do carry a nice price tag. I purchased mine for 6200 HUO with only 448 plays on it, cpu & display ver 8 which is the version that was current when my machine was made.

Since then I upgraded it to 10.02 and added a shitload of mods.

Pinsound Plus Ultimate kit with speaker kit and pinsound motion shaker kit.
Fully LEDs
POTD Mod and figures lighted
Gandlaf Staff mod, *easy one as I designed that years ago *
Lighted Power Pinblades
additional figures throughout the playfield
mount doom mod
Barad Dur sauron eye, Palantir interactive orb, Lighted ring mod.
Cliffys protectors
Shire decals
Arwen plastic protector

and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of other things here and there but I can tell you I have almost 8k invested into it. To me it's well worth it as this machine still as of today 17 years later still holds its own against newer titles of today. The coding is fantastic and playing it does become a journey, it's great when you're in the mood for an adventure but if you want a quick play then just move onto something else in your collection that night.

2 weeks later
#6583 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Wanting to pick up an LED OCD in the near future, is the GIzmo worth it to add as well?

I did while I was ordering the OCD board, it was cheap enough just to order both at the same time so I was like why the hell not.

#6590 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

You dont need to replace the sound roms, just the game and display plus the pal chip.

Actually if you are already running v10 you'll need to just replace the CPU ROM to V 10.02 and pal chip as Lermods said, the display remains the same at V10 so it's not needed.

#6593 3 years ago
Quoted from BigMorty:

I just join the adventure today... FINALLY!!! Have been waiting to find a HUO LoTR LE in perfect shape and finally did! Audits say only 174 plays which seller things is the original count based on where he bought it from the original owner. The lane and Shire areas look brand new. LoTR & Hobbit looks so good together. So excited to be in the club!
Cheers,
Mike
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Now you have to add some tasteful LOTR figures to the playfield.

#6596 3 years ago
Quoted from BigMorty:

deathhimself - I was thinking of adding a few, but I do like how clean the look is!
robdutch - Thanks, I really like both of them!
Also, I just ordered cliffy's to keep this is perfect shape, how do I protect the Arwen plastic, I can't find anyone selling a protector?
Thanks,
Mike

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-resurrection-of-the-improved-arwen-plastic-protector/page/2#post-3255353

reach out to him here on pinside.

1 week later
#6616 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Does anyone have Pinstadiums with mirror blades? Currently have pinstadiums and was thinking of adding the mirrors.

I do but on my Elvira HOH not on my LOTR, and they do look awesome together.

3 weeks later
#6642 3 years ago
Quoted from Lord_Revan:

Does anyone know where to get the side rails with elf writing on them?

Are you talking about the one that has the flame effects LED lighting in them? If so that is an expensive mod for it comes from two different people (one for the rails and the other for the lighting) and then you have to carve into the cabinet sides to recess the lighting and wires etc..

I thought about it but then was just happy with what I have

1 month later
#6735 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hi all, I found an extra ground wire in the head behind the DMD. Can anyone get a pick of where all the grounds should go back there? Or is one supposed to be not used?
[quoted image]

Did you check to see if you have a ground wire going to the speakers and the DMD? Looks like the loop on the end of that wire was broken off and it could have gone to one of those locations.

#6740 3 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I have been thinking about getting a Pinsound upgrade on one of my machines to try it out. I wasn't sure it would be worth it for me. I am not really an audiophile who needs top notch sound quality. However heard good things so I decided to go with my LotR because it is probably my most played game, plus some of the callouts get old and I was thinking about removing them ("500 more...250 more".
So I got the board and new 2.1 speakers and installed them yesterday and wow, it really makes a difference. I downloaded a user made sound package (LOTR_Sjoend) and it makes the whole experience so much more immersive. It was pretty straight forward to install. Took me a little while to understand how to install new sounds but there is really good instructions on line.
If anyone is considering one I would highly recommend.

Best mod I did to my LOTR plus I added their shaker and made my own LOTR sound pack. It's awesome

#6741 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I can tell it’s from the left side, it’s bundled with it. Do I just repeat what I see on the right side? Oh, the loop isn’t broken off, it was just folded back.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

I would put it on the other speaker, I know another poster said they have two on their dmd but you only need one there as the display board when mounted to the dmd shell will be grounded with the screw posts that mount it anyway.

#6760 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I bought a new PAL and 10.02 CPU to update code and install a shaker. I put the new 10.02 chip in. I did NOT put the PAL chip in yet so I don't see why you can't swap the old one.

It is chip U213 just to the left of the CPU ROM, notch side goes downward!!

3 weeks later
#6831 3 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Does anyone else start buying mods before their pin even arrives? Or is it just me.
[quoted image]

He came a long way since I ordered mine, you get pretty boxes now. Mine just arrived wrapped in foam paper lol. Best mods for LOTR well other then Pinsound, powerblades, LED OCD boards, shaker motor, POTD etc.... yeah they're all great lol.

#6847 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

After upgrading roms, pal chips and installing a shaker, what does the LE have different? Besides back glass. Is there anything else different?

No figures installed, to be honest their brass/gold finish trim was horrible. Tarnished very easily and what looks like a clear lacquer coat on it was peeling off the metal too. Powder coating was the better way to go.

#6849 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Found these locally got $20! Now I need to decide how to install them. I saw one thread reference green post lights, but has anyone tried UV lights?
[quoted image]

I'm partial to the green LED but it all comes down to what you like best for your taste. I'll send you a video of mine installed.

#6869 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePhysicsGuy:

Hi Everyone!
I’m 6 months into my LOTR experience – my 2nd machine ever – pretty happy! Something I’ve wanted for years….
However, my machine was definitely routed (I even didn’t get a coin tray or backglass lock + locking plate) and has some very funky issues that I’d love some feedback/info on:
(1)
My Aragon ramp (right ramp) looks to be assembled wrong: The ball has to jump up at the end of the ramp in order to make it on to the sword. It would make sense for the sword to be below the on-ramp so that the ball does not need more energy to jump up (or get scratched up more on the unpolished sword edge). Attached are some pics of what’s going on in my machine, as well as the pic from the manual, which really doesn’t help. Can anyone share pics of their setup – specifically how the fixation(s) work? (rivets, screws, nuts, etc?)
(2)
My Balrog has holes drilled in it (near the head) and my lights shine white through them – is this normal? >_<
(3)
Does anyone have a good solution for drooping acrylic supports – specifically the acrylic supporting my Ring Wraith at the top of the sword ramp is sagging and can sometimes capture the ball between the acrylic and sword. (If anyone has patterns for supports, I’d love a copy of the designs as I can laser cut acrylic.)
(4)
Anyone come up with a good solution to the issue where the ball properly falls from the paths of the dead onto the metal ramp, then bounces back out directly into the hobbit hole? The ball DOES totally miss the typical impact spot of the acrylic below the POTD, thankfully.
(5)
I rebuilt the flippers and mistakenly reversed a coil – blew a fuse and I’m betting the FET (transistor) is blown as it is shorted to ground. Already have a replacement and planning to solder it in shortly - anyone else have advice as to what to proactively check after reversing a coil?
(6)
Anyone have a design/drawing for just the dimensions of a pinblade? I want to laser-cut a thin clear acrylic protector so that I do not cause further damage to the inside of my cab.
Thanks for reading this far! ^_^
Sharing some love: I did find/buy some of the rarer switches for the Gimli VUK and Hobbit holes – the switch actuator (the part hat actually presses the switch) is the flat style and works well with your original “Y” lever metal. https://www.tedss.com/catalog/details/2027002369 (Tedss dot com - part # E63-00H) I do have a few spares I could send out. ^_^
Thanks again,
A happy EE who blows stuff up on stage for a living...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The Images with the white plastic spacer is wrong.

1- the silver metal ramp piece goes below the golden ramp,

2- the white plastic spacer goes below the golden ramp and on top of the silver ramp piece ( so it goes between them )

3 - and then the screw goes down through them all starting on top of the golden ramp securing them in place.

#6872 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

would welcome the dimensions of the spacer so that I can 3D print it

1/4" X 3/8" Plastic Spacer Gray - according to the manual.

#6901 3 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

I see my LOTR has screws in the cabinet siderails. Does it also have double sided tape or just the screws?
Thanks

I don't believe so, just the screws from what I recall.

1 week later
#6923 3 years ago
Quoted from Ed4pin:

I have been reading through the entire chat, but I have not seen my exact new problem. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I have a December 2003 LOTR for which I am the original owner. I upgraded the 2 EPROM to version 10 a couple of years ago. All the sound hardware is original since it had worked fine. I am considering upgrading sound, but not yet. I finally decided starting the process by installing a new anypin NVRAM. The install with confirmation was done exactly as per instructions ending in "open coin door". The machine booted back up as expected. The sound was very loud as occurs with replacing the batteries. About 10 minutes later, it made a audible sound and I have not heard any sound since. I think it is a problem with my sound ROMs since I still have all the originals plugged in. I have not upgraded the PAL chip yet. Service bulletin 157 mentions that this could create a problem when mixing higher versions EPROM with lower version sound. So I think a new PAL ship can solve the problem. Please let me know of recommendations for solving this issue with the plan to later upgrade sound and install a shaker. Thanks in advance.

Check your PM and give me a call, cheers!!

1 week later
#6987 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

I will be installing a Pinsound today, there are so many good mixes for LOTR. Does anyone have a favorite? Normally I would try all of them to see, but the games are so long. I was hoping to get everyone's opinion which they liked best and start with that one.
Thanks!

LOTR_Sjoend is a great one to start with, then you can modify from there to your liking or build a totally new one like I did, but is is very labor intensive as I have a good hundred or so hours invested in capturing audio from the films and chopping the files then bring then all to just about the same audio level. It's work but fun.

1 week later
#7001 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

Yep...LED OCD board in hand.

LED OCD is a must on LOTR, well worth changing over to LED's. Gets rid of all that built up bulb heat under the inserts now so no worries of inserts rising due to heat, plus the OCD is programmable to your liking but default is great as is for LOTR.

The GI Gizmo is pretty dam good too, if you can get both.

#7013 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Just picked up a clean HUO LOTR that had been sitting Unplayed for a number of years. I just rebuilt both flippers as they both needed it and the right flip is still pretty weak compared to the left. Should I start by replacing the cabinet leaf switches? Or replacing the EOS? It’s a 2004 run on v.10. This is not a heating issue so I’m not popping in those overpowered pblife coils.[quoted image]

I would look at the EOS first, after that fix maybe a Pinsound

#7021 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

So I upgraded to pinsound and I’m very happy with it. I’m thinking about upgrading the speakers. Any speaker recommendation for it? I have bought these two models for different pinball machines but I’m not sure which one is better or if I should get a different brand. I don’t want to spend $300 on pinwoofer since pinsound already has an amp in it. Thanks for the recommendations.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DSC404/Kicker-43DSC404.html
amazon.com link »

Quoted from Angel:

I just installed the 4" Kicker speakers that are in your link on my LoTR and they sound absolutly great. A worthwhile upgrade over the Stern factory speakers.

Those 4" Kickers with a external Polk PSW10 Powered Sub, will be rocking the house with that pinsound board.

#7032 3 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

What is the difference with pinsound?

Limitless customization's, callouts, sound effects, music and shaker routines if you get their shaker kit.

1 week later
#7044 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’ll post some pics when I’m 100% done, it does look sweet. I felt bad for paying $1500 for the playfield, but now that LOTR are selling for $7k+ I feel like it’s justified.

This title has been steadily hiking over the years, and with a slim to none chance of ever seeing a vault edition, they will always command a good dollar especially the HUO ones that were well maintained. Now send it over the top and install a Pinsound in there, it's a whole new animal after that

#7051 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

Not true. Bought mine NIB and the blue pad is on the Pippin / Legolas guide. Mine is a bit dirty but still original parts.

Correct, stock has the blue bumper pad installed. However remove the guide and put a washer on the post so it don't dig into the PF and while it's off put a small mylar patch under the blue pad area as well to protect the PF. That bumper does take a beating.

#7057 2 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Ok so now I’m confused. My machine is stock and there is no bumper or hole for a rivet in the guide. Based on the code that was on the machine at the time I bought it and the path of the dead plastic I have it was an early run model. Was this blue bumper added later?
As an added question, my guide has a nice dent in it from the ball hitting (which I assume is why they added the bumper to later models if my theory is correct). Is there a better solution to protecting the end of that guide than riveting on a blue pad?

My machine is a July 2004 HUO model and the bumper on the guide rail was stock from stern.

18C1659A-C496-44E9-A4A4-20BEEBA52915 (resized).jpeg18C1659A-C496-44E9-A4A4-20BEEBA52915 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#7147 2 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Any suggestions on LED’s and do they strobe and need OCD boards?

OCD board is a must in LOTR if doing LEDs also do yourself a favor if doing so use warm whites for the whites not cool whites, cool totally kills the whole feel to this machine. In addition be sure to install washers under the ball guides posts or they will start to tear into your playfield.

BTW Balrog has an led in there so check the wire harness for possible break along the line and check his hit switch.

#7156 2 years ago
Quoted from Ed4pin:

Anyone else having problems setting up an account with Pinsound? I bought a new Pinsound Plus Series kit and received it 2 days ago. I started installing it, but it would not download the files from the preloaded usb. I installed the board, speakers, subwoofer, headphone with volume control, and usb. The shaker is next, but I would like to hear the board working. Inserting the usb into my windows computer showed the downloaded files. There were only 4 of the 6 on the usb of the ones which are available from their website. I plan to load all of them when I can get access. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks

Every unique sound package should have its own folder name on the root of the usb ( whatever you choose to call it ), under that folder name there should be 5 sub dir's and one file like below example: (don't change these folder or file names)

DeathsLotr (dir)

- jingle (sub dir)
- music (sub dir)
- sfx (sub dir)
- single (sub dir)
- voice (sub dir)

config.pinsound (file)

I pm'd you, call me later today and we'll go through it.

#7183 2 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Qiick question, is the main center ramp plated or is the metal brass?

I'm pretty sure it's plated

#7199 2 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Anyone have any advice on which pinsound to get? Is the install easy?

Go with the Plus not the Neo for the few dollars difference in price you have more adjustments and options.

#7217 2 years ago
Quoted from TylerJac:

Hey guys, great news! As of yesterday I'm officially part of the club! This is my very 1st pin and I couldn't be any happier right now! Time to destroy the ring!!!
[quoted image]

Your first pin and it's one of the greatest pins to date. Don't get spoiled by your first pin with it being an LOTR, it's going to be a real hard act to follow.

#7228 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Good morning
I just transferred a colordmd from a TZ to my LOTR (as there is a colorization on pin2dmd for TZ, but not for LOTR). Wiring and mounting was easy, but... The colordmd is further in recess compared to the original plasma (or for that matter pin2dmd even), so from my viewpoint, I can't see the top two lines of the DMD.
I'm assuming that's because I'm missing the mounting accessories for Stern Whitestar, I assume there is a separate bracket or a set of spacers + screws?
Also, looks like my back trough switch is faulty (the one behind the ring), it randomly registers... Looks like I'm in for a repair

Did you go into the DMD settings and change it from Willams to Whitestar? After that you can the use the offset feature to make minor line by line adjustments to bring the whole image into view. You can make spacers from a rubber post with a razor blade. Just the them into a size you need and don't over tighten them down.

1 month later
#7334 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

Hey guys, new member here. Just destroyed the ring today and I'm hooked. Looking for a solution to the only problem I have noticed so far. Hitting the left ramp often comes back down the wireform so fast that the ball randomly flies off the track back onto the playfield. Anybody else have to tweak something to get this behaving as expected with a smooth 100% return to the left flipper? Thanks.
[quoted image]

There are two things that you can do the first is make a custom piece of Lexan or plexiglass and put it over the ramp right where you see I have mine mounted and dress it up with a little character, or the second option is get a piece of Velcro the softer side that is self stick and put it right on the outer wall of the curve in the ramp to slow the ball down.

D3AB96BE-10C4-4E9D-B1EE-B9F4E56C1593 (resized).jpegD3AB96BE-10C4-4E9D-B1EE-B9F4E56C1593 (resized).jpeg
#7337 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

Velcro? Back of the ramp before it rises to the wireform?

Yes right in the hairpin turn to bleed off speed.

Quoted from jlatko:

How did you mount the plexiglass? So that seems to be the falling off spot and the ball just hits the plexi instead?

Correct, the plexi is mounted with 20lb 3M double sided tape along with one of the lower playfield screws that was long enough to self tap into the plexi as well.

I would try the self stick Velcro first as it's the easiest to do and quickly removable if you don't like it.

1 month later
#7559 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:I know the answer is findable but I dont feel like hunting...
LOTR I have has super bright flickering LEDs someone put in.
What is the general consensus on best LED setup for the game?
I dont mind LEDs just need to not go blind and stop the flickering before I seizure.

Warm white LEDs and install a LED OCD board.

4 weeks later
#7626 2 years ago

If anyone knows anybody on the east coast that might be looking to join the club, I'm gong to be listing my HUO (2nd owner) July 2004 LOTR with just about 800 plays in total on it for sale shortly. The game is also tastefully heavily modded. Listing coming soon, making room for Godzilla and we just don't play LOTR much any longer.

4 weeks later
#7731 2 years ago

LMAO

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
2 weeks later
#7775 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I need about an inch of clearance to move my machine to a certain part of the basement. Is it possible to buy shorter legs and if so does anyone know where I can get them from? Thanks

Williams Legs are 28.5" vs Sterns at 30.5" Pinball life sell the leg sets for about $60.00

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 25.00
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deathhimself.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=deathhimself and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.