IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cashmoney.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6747 3 years ago

I have a NOS LOTR playfield if anyone is in need of one. PM me.

#6754 3 years ago

Superpops1 asking $750. It’s a later run NOS playfield. Made by Churchill cabinet company. PM me if interested.

18A8FEAB-2318-480F-8D0A-592EAB96FEFE (resized).jpeg18A8FEAB-2318-480F-8D0A-592EAB96FEFE (resized).jpeg23F1BC68-585A-4E1C-BD55-122C2498BF2D (resized).jpeg23F1BC68-585A-4E1C-BD55-122C2498BF2D (resized).jpeg52F87B89-0ABC-4029-867A-FEC38E1B2946 (resized).jpeg52F87B89-0ABC-4029-867A-FEC38E1B2946 (resized).jpegDF045F00-4697-471A-8454-5A3124969BA4 (resized).jpegDF045F00-4697-471A-8454-5A3124969BA4 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#6960 3 years ago

Just joined the LOTR club.

Anyone have or know where to buy the path of the dead figures?

#6962 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Congrats, first time owning one?

Yup! I can see what this is arguably the best stern game ever made. They packed a ton into this game. It’s my “grail pin” so he’s probably here to stay at this point.

There’s a couple small issues I need to figure out:

1. Balls get jammed up on the sword and don’t release.
2. Weird things going on in the trough where either the balls don’t pop out or it doesn’t recognize a drain. This causes issues during multiballs because the game loses count of the balls.

#6967 3 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Both of those sound like switch issues at the Sword and trough. Did you do a switch test using a ball to see if they trigger?

Yup, I think you're right. They trigger when the ball rolls over them in a switch test. It looks like they "stick" sometimes during gameplay. This game sat for a while unplayed for a while so I'm hoping a thorough cleaning will help the switches register consistently.

There's also a slight buzzing sound on the flippers whenever I cradle a ball. Is this normal?

#6976 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

My record is just over 24 seconds, but that included a “Free Merry”. When I hit the ring to start destroy the ring, the ball fell out of the ring and down the right orbit and triggered Merry, so I got spotted a free shot. “Free Merry” is a common saying in our home for when that happens, coming out of the pops just right to catch the switch, as it seems to be such a particular shot to register. I’ve looped that shot three times in a row before without it registering, so frustrating, especially in ROTK MB.

I’ve noticed my right orbit doesn’t register sometimes as well. Is this a common issue On LOTR machines?

Has anyone tried using a MRS switch? It was huge fix on my Shadow left diverter ramp.

1 week later
#6990 3 years ago

Just wanted to give a shout-out to AUKraut and his awesome Palantir mod! I feel like this is a must have for any LOTR owner, it’s amazing. The pictures don’t do it justice...

Here are some before and after pictures:

69847CD3-7D68-44E8-989D-DACE6226C77C (resized).jpeg69847CD3-7D68-44E8-989D-DACE6226C77C (resized).jpegAEB6E9CB-96B6-4AEA-92A6-007C7EF0B971 (resized).jpegAEB6E9CB-96B6-4AEA-92A6-007C7EF0B971 (resized).jpeg
#6993 3 years ago

Anyone know where to buy this speaker panel?

LOTR Speaker Panel (resized).pngLOTR Speaker Panel (resized).png
3 weeks later
#7093 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

just to clarify , these are the ones NOT to get

Whats wrong with these coils? Too powerful for the game?

#7100 2 years ago

Anyone know where to get the correct medium strength coils for this game? My flippers need a compete rebuild.

1 month later
#7264 2 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I finally resolved my last few playfield swap issues, and grabbed some pics of Ron Kruzman’s excellent work before I start flipping. BTW, if anyone has a spare pair of sling plastics they’d like to sell me, please send me a PM.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ron does amazing work. He’s working on my Shadow PF currently. Can’t wait to get it back.

3 months later
#7620 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Not sure that this has been mentioned, but I just got a new topper today! (Nah, just kidding! I'll keep the light up Balrog up there!)
Marco is now selling these and I was surprised to see it. Got it for posterity, I guess...
[quoted image]

I wonder what the special prize was?

1 month later
#7789 2 years ago
Quoted from ginmd:

horseflesh yes, very satisfying! After reading this entire topic I also installed:
10.02 mods U210, U213, U5, OS8
Shaker motor
ColorDMD LCD
LED trough light
Ring flasher mod
Dozens of colored incandescent bulbs
New balls
Ordered sillyoldelf blades
Still trying to convince myself I need the Palantír and POTD mods!
[quoted image]

The palantir mod is a MUST. I believe AUKraut even has a Black Friday sale going on right now that you can take advantage of for his palantir mod.

2 months later
#7909 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Anyone ever touch up their decals? Looking for suggestions for paint brands and techniques.

Not sure about touch up but you can get a brand new cab decal set for a reasonable price:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-cabinet-decals/

1 week later
#7948 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Can anyone provide a quick rundown of what is necessary to “beat” each multiball? FOTR seems pretty self evident, but how many levels to ROTK? What shots are necessary to complete TT? Etc.

Here you go:

http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt

1 week later
#8005 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

What’s the overall consensus on LED vs original lighting on this title?

Love the look of LEDs but you have to have a LCD OCD board. The lighting effects are everything on this game.

4 weeks later
#8085 2 years ago

Made some progress on my LOTR shop out. Everything is done except for the top side. Going to go with clear titans and sunlight Comet LEDs. All metals parts will go in the tumbler. Plastics without art will go in the ultrasonic. Going to polish the lane guides.

Already installed the LED OCD and Gizmo board for the the GI.

For side art blades, did you guys remove the playfield? On Spike 2 games it’s quite easy to remove the PF, this seems like it has more cables and things to remove…

3E246BC7-AC1B-4416-B43C-892A32DA0C30 (resized).jpeg3E246BC7-AC1B-4416-B43C-892A32DA0C30 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#8114 2 years ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Potential spoiler alert…
…but figure it’s fine since this game has been out for almost 20 years.
One month into ownership and just have to say this game is as good as I hoped it would be. Love the theme and still learning the gameplay as apparently after many games I thought I understood everything. However, a couple of nights ago I was pleasantly surprised to find out that my efforts against Saruman weren’t over after being sent to the top of the tower and the display showing me the “Gandalf vs. Saruman” total. One additional shot up the middle continued the journey. I tried to replicate it again but it looked like that additional shot changed to Merry’s. Does that shot rotate or was I not paying attention?
Are there any other episodes that have continued scenes after showing the episode’s total by making additional shots?

I would check out this rulesheet, I know I learned a ton about the modes and MBs:

http://www.pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt

2 weeks later
#8179 2 years ago

Searched the forums but couldn’t find this specific stuck ball issue on LOTR. Seems like the ball is consistently getting stuck at the Orthanc entrance. I adjust the plastic tower and it works for a bit but then goes back to this again. I made sure the metal posts to the tower are as tight as they will go. Not sure what else to try.

Has anyone else had this issue before?

4E5AF140-67A8-4E2F-9410-344257B7FEC8 (resized).jpeg4E5AF140-67A8-4E2F-9410-344257B7FEC8 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#8250 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

I’ve thought about upgrading the speakers, but it’s really kind of pointless unless you get a Pinsound. The audio quality of white star era games is really bad and the speakers are only a small part of the problem.

I put the flipper fidelity set on my LOTR and I haven't noticed a difference. Wasn't worth the money IMO.

I did install a Pinnovators Sub-out kit and that made a huge difference. Added a ton of fullness to the game, especially in the lower sounds of the game. Would highly recommend for $35.

1 week later
#8278 1 year ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

I have just found these coils with my box of parts, does anyone know who made these and we’re the for the right flipper only for more power? [quoted image][quoted image]

Those are flipper coils that should be on the game, medium powered. Some people think the high powered ones from PBL are the right ones but they are way too powerful and can break plastics.

A guy on eBay makes them and they are fantastic ! I’d put them on your game the next time you go to do a flipper rebuild, enjoy!

#8287 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Can anyone recommend a particular subwoofer for this pin?

Polk PSW10

2 weeks later
#8389 1 year ago

Here's a POTD protector for $10. Looks like the same seller is also selling a bunch of LOTR plastics and protectors as well.

sfbay.craigslist.org link

#8415 1 year ago

Any ideas to make this game play harder/shorter? Looking to include this in a tournament so I can’t have 1 hour long games.

Here’s what I’ve got so far:
- lighting flippers
- removed outlane posts completely
- removed inlane rubbers
- pitch at 7 degrees
- installed thicker post rubbers on the sword ramp so it’s extremely hard to back hand it all day to get to MB.
- obviously a good naphtha/wax cleaning combo to get it playing fast.
- lowered the ball saves for MB, removed them completely at the start of a ball
- tight tilt

Any other ideas or things I’m missing?

#8420 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I ran a tourney and included my LOTR. Same set up as yours minus the fat posts and lightning flippers. It was fine. Still one of the longer playing games but nothing that really held up the tournament.
The only other thing I could suggest: The tilt mech is notoriously sketchy on Whitestar games. You might consider changing it to one tilt warning. At two tilt warnings, no matter how tight , your players most likely could make a huge move and only get one or two warnings.

That’s a great point. I’ve noticed this with my tilt Bob as well. I keep my games on sliders since they’re on cement floors in my garage. I’ll be sure to set it to just 1 tilt thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.95
$ 25.00
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

€ 7.50
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cashmoney.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=cashmoney and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.