IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adrock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7783 2 years ago
Quoted from J_Striker:

Just sold mine fully modded for 15k 2 weeks ago

I want to thank you for that… after he bought yours, he sold me his other HUO LOTR for far less... full brass armor, pinsound ultimate w/ shaker, pinstadium neo, pinduino, invisiglass, color dmd, full led, mirror blades, topper, etc etc

2 weeks later
#7842 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Unfortunately LED's just have no subtlety even with the LCD board. The scale up and down in brightness and the half illumination levels is a pretty cool mood generating aspect of this game. I like the POP of LED flashers and have them in the game but this will literally be the only game that I have ever owned that will not have LED's in it for GI or inserts.
Maybe one day they'll advance the technology far enough for my taste but I don't really keep the game on long enough to ever be a concern with incandescent bulbs in there anyway.

For those who are unsure about the LEDs and type of LED and the LEDOCD, if you think about how they activate it becomes intuitive on what would work and what wouldn’t.

As we know, LEDs take a lot less energy to activate. That means that the trigger from the pinball machine will light up LEDs when they are not supposed to be lit. For instance, on a rising or fading voltage signal, the LED will light up, whereas incandescent would still be below the threshold of lighting. Hence the rapid and less fluid Lighting you see you when you switch to LEDs.

Non-ghosting LEDs try to compensate for this by only activating at higher voltage signals. So when the light next to it is lit, it will try to be below the threshold of lighting. Helps with ghosting but doesn’t help a whole lot with the rapid and sporadic flow because the pinball machine is still sending higher voltages to activate LEDs than they need, as it thinks they are still incandescents.

The LEDOCD board basically rewrites the signal so that it is now scaled down for LEDs. Fixes the problem of rapid activation, fixes the flow, and pretty much fixes ghosting. Although I haven’t tried it on this machine, I had one on my STTNG and it worked great. I had both The regular and the G.I. boards. Based on the video above, it seems it should work great on this machine as well.

So to summarize, getting non-ghosting LEDs really won’t fix anything except for some of the ghosting. If you want it to look right, you need the OCD board. Don’t pair non-ghosting LEDs with the OCD board because you’re throwing off the response to the corrected signal and it won’t activate correctly. The OCD board is only intended to be used with standard LEDs.

If you have standard LEDs, and the board, and you’re still having issues, that suggests a different problem elsewhere in the machine.

Shout out to Herg for a killer product! Waiting on my Lord of the rings to arrive and it will be the first modification that I do

#7845 2 years ago
Quoted from JAG94:

Where can I find a POTD mod kit? Can anyone point me in the direction of this and any other mods you like for the game? Links are appreciated. Thank you.

Quoted from ryandimx:

Bunch of links throughout this whole thread and some of their own topics. It's worth it to look around and check out all the things you can. As far as I know, because I've been looking for a few years, no one sells an assembled potd. You have to look around for the plastic and dig a little more for the figures....then figure out how you want to do the lighting.

Kim still makes them. Just asked her a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/lord_of_the_rings/

Added over 2 years ago:

Sorry, “him” not her.

#7854 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Is it still possible to buy a whip for balrog?

Just bought one from PersonX99 yesterday! He just “whipped” up a batch.

2 months later
#7994 2 years ago

New arrival!

DEB35EE7-AA84-48B5-8A14-18F814F22BB5 (resized).jpegDEB35EE7-AA84-48B5-8A14-18F814F22BB5 (resized).jpeg
#8012 2 years ago
Quoted from CashMoney:

Love the look of LEDs but you have to have a LCD OCD board. The lighting effects are everything on this game.

Agree that LEDOCD board is critical. Herg makes the best ones and his site says Whitestar should be in stock early March

31789777-0711-49AC-AD76-600EAE7F29B2 (resized).png31789777-0711-49AC-AD76-600EAE7F29B2 (resized).png
#8024 2 years ago
Quoted from usul27:

You don't need LED OCD. If you can do some soldering, Afterglow is now also available for Whitestar:
https://github.com/bitfieldlabs/afterglow
Still waiting for some parts to arrive, will probably add this next week.

Looks like it’s the same idea as LedOCD, just that you’re building it yourself

#8025 2 years ago

Is a separate power supply advisable on this pin if doing several powered mods?

2 weeks later
#8082 2 years ago
Quoted from franksisko18:

Looking to buy a path of the dead mod. If any one can put one together or has one to sell im interested. Thanks

https://www.kimballspinballs.com/lord_of_the_rings/

There’s also a DIY kit for sale in the Pinside marketplace under LOTR

2 weeks later
#8107 2 years ago

How difficult would it be to install a set of these adhesive decals over an original LOTR? I didn’t know if sanding and priming would be necessary given that the original art is screen printed? I’m assuming that the machine need to be laid on its side and back to prevent slippage during adhesion.. would the playfield and head need to be removed? TIA

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-cabinet-decals/

1 month later
#8248 1 year ago

Can someone tell me where J-3 from the display board should connect? I received the machine but J-3 was empty and the entire Y-cable that connects to J-3 was loose/not connected to anything. So if someone could tell me where all 3 arms of the Y cable that connects to J-3 on the display board go to, that would be much appreciated!

I read the manual but I’m still not clear on how it connects.

It has a color dmd and pinsound, but from my reading of the color dmd install manual, J-3 still goes to the old location (I think)

Ty

#8251 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Hope this helps.
[quoted image]

Thanks, looks like one connector is not connected to anything, can you trace that back and tell me where it’s connected on the other end?

This one

FEBBEBE5-447D-4C21-834E-7C4B8D7842B6 (resized).jpegFEBBEBE5-447D-4C21-834E-7C4B8D7842B6 (resized).jpeg
#8256 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

That’s the standard DMD connector, which is not use when a color DMD is installed.

Thanks. Now just need to know where that cable bundle connects on the other end if someone can help me out pls.

#8258 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

That connector goes to CN2 on the display power supply board. It's in the top left corner of the backbox. This is according to the manual. I haven't physically looked on my game.

Awesome thanks

Edit: works! Thx

#8260 1 year ago

Does anyone have spares of plastics -15 and -23?

1 week later
#8276 1 year ago
Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

anyone have any flipper toppers they recommend? and or places to get gold trim?

I just bought these, they were my favorite I could find.

ebay.com link: itm

Gold trim for what part of the machine are you looking for?

#8280 1 year ago
Quoted from Munsters:

Joining the club soon! Stern dindt bring out an topper? If not, which one is the nicest?

Most revered is the McKee topper but it’s long out of print

#8281 1 year ago

Could someone post a high-resolution pic of the sticker in the head that talks about the fuses? Thanks in advance

#8285 1 year ago
Quoted from red-line:

My guess would be that you have never beaten the mode and have just timed out every time prior to this. If
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks

#8291 1 year ago

Very cool!

Which Pinsound mix is that ?

#8293 1 year ago
Quoted from November:

Thanks morgoth00 for link video
It's a modified Wool Mix.

Yes, all by myself. The lighting is controled by the raspberry pi "pinstadium", sorry i dont remember the name of it

Pinduino?

1 week later
#8372 1 year ago
Quoted from wombat:

Does anyone know where these wire brackets are sold? I have a few that are broken.
[quoted image]

Marco

TREE - WIRING HARNESS SUPPORT LARGE
#545-5253-01

I know because I have one in my cart as we speak!

#8402 1 year ago
Quoted from flipper73:

Perfect. Is there a difference between standard-lord and the LE-Version? I mean is it possible to use These coils for both versions?

I believe there are different versions, with or without diode for the two models

#8421 1 year ago
Quoted from LastCall420:

Hey, looking for a potd mod everywhere I look it’s either sold out or no stock, does anyone know if someone is still making them or is it easier to just source the parts myself and diy it ?
Thanks for any info

Yeah Kimballs pinballs, or there is another selling a DIY kit on Pinside, check the marketplace linked to the game.

Or make your own. Pinbits PoTD plastic + comet star post bulbs + comet matrix wiring = cheap. I’ll probably do this, just deciding how to hook into the bulbs, will likely use wire taps. Don’t forget the 1 1/4 inch narrow posts.

#8432 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

FYI Pinbits is no longer a thing, you'll have to source your mounting surface elsewhere. I just used a pig tail 555 socket and mounted a green LED into the back of the figure but I only put one in the back corner because I wanted to block as little as possible of the POTD.

Sorry I meant the POTD plastic that’s sold here in the Marketplace linked to the game. It can be ordered with slots for the figures and wire ties

#8433 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Ok, here is a Path of the Dead mod solution if anyone is interested. This was done in partnership with Mr_Tantrum.
Basically we designed and cut an acrylic piece to sit above the path, designed a laser etch pattern of skulls and a cobblestone path which was etched onto the acrylic. Then I used Comet Matrix lighting to light the figures. Matrix Star Post lights in green were mounted to the back side of the acrylic with gorilla clear mounting tape and then the figures were attached to the top side with the same mounting tape.
I also backlit the original path with a Matrix 20 SMD strip from Comet.
Overall I’m very happy. If anyone is interested in getting the acrylic path, either laser etched or not please PM me or Mr_Tantrum.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very cool!

1) did you have to cover some of the Star post LEDs in each post light? Someone who did that previously said it was too bright with all of the post LEDs exposed.

2) can you describe how you wired the lights to the game?

Thx

#8439 1 year ago

Sure, the Comet Matrix series of lamps has alligator clips that will clip onto lamp sockets. Basically I used a three way splitter and some of the matrix extensions to wire it to a nearby GI bulb under the playfield. Others have done things like wire each figure to a lamp in the path of the dead plastic on thr backboard, I chose to go with an on all the time solution. I might play around with wiring to the controlled lamps as well, we’ll see.
As for covering any of the Star post LEDs I did not. I placed the figures so that the LEDs would be covered by the figures if looking from the players perspective. I don’t think they’re too bright at all, the picture makes them look brighter than they do in real life.

Thanks for the info.

Did anyone ever end up trying the Comet UV star post lights? Previously in the thread a couple people have claimed that the Path characters should be UV reactive, but I don’t think we ever got confirmation (and I left my blacklight in college!)

#8454 1 year ago

Couple of questions.

My machine came with a loose Gimli. Was he included originally? If not is there a recommended mounting location?

Also, it came with the Balrog LED upgrade kit. If I already have an LEDOCD board, is there any advantage to using the upgrade kit versus just putting an LED bayonet in the original socket?

Thanks!

#8460 1 year ago

Happy 4th to everyone in the US! Hey if I’m trying to mount a plastic over the path of the dead to mount figures… am I correct in that I would remove the existing posts, then mount the new plastic with the following:

1 1/4” narrow posts (3/16 inner diameter)

1 3/4” long 3/16” diameter screws

3/16” locking nuts

3/16” rubber rings for the posts

Does that sound right? Anything I’m missing?

Thanks!

#8465 1 year ago

Anyone have extras of these? Comet just went on backorder for months and I need three for the path of the dead mod. Thanks

A107E297-B071-4F4D-B655-BF8DE6330D48 (resized).jpegA107E297-B071-4F4D-B655-BF8DE6330D48 (resized).jpeg
#8475 1 year ago

RGP POTD plastic (here on Pinside)- has holes Below figures/slots for cable ties

Star post lights below plastic. screw up through hole in post light—> thru hole in POTD plastic—> into figures

Attach Star post wires to POTD lights. Either comet matrix alligator clips (plug and play) or I may use wire taps to avoid clips.

Seems pretty straightforward and inexpensive

Thanks for the link. Good to know. ChipScott hooked me up with some matrix ones he had left over (much appreciated)

#8477 1 year ago
Quoted from red-line:

I hadn't heard of mamushka's light puck until I saw your comment, I looked it up and bought it immediately. WOW. this has got to be one of the best and cleanest mods I've seen, no more settling the ball and leaning forward to count my elf rings. Amazing mod.

ChipScott red-line where does one find this mod?

Edit;
https://www.pinballlife.com/light-puck-for-lord-of-the-rings.html

Mamushka any idea when you’ll have more?

#8486 1 year ago
Quoted from ShineSpark:

Hi everyone,
So I have a pinduino hooked up to the aux 12V 3-pin molex power connector inside the cabinet, right hand side. I need to unplug it to put in a splitter for more mods. Problem is, it seems to be pretty snug in that female connector, any ideas how to get it out safely? I don't see any kind of latches or grooves or anything which are facilitating a tighter connection, it's just stuck in there pretty hard. I guess I don't know my own strength.
Thanks as always for your insight.

Two sets of pliers?

#8495 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

The ad says it doesn't fit the 2003 version of the game

Yours is 2003?

#8499 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

It's the regular game, not the le. So wouldn't that be the 2003 version?

They started production in October 2003 but made over 5000 so unless it’s an early one it should work. FYI, he did say if you give him detailed measurements then he will custom drill holes to fit your machine if it’s not standard.

2 weeks later
#8545 1 year ago
Quoted from T2F14:

To answer ADROCK in reference to post 2446
I started with the figures and put lights and wires in them to light up interactively with the game's path of the dead lights. I did this by jumping the Molex connectors for the PoTD light board by making a y connector. Below are pictures of my connection, a rough mock up I built to make sure it was going to work, and the connectors I bought. My issue was getting the Diodes in the correct direction and on the correct lead to avoid light/power bledback.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks! Very helpful. For some background, I had made my own mod but wanted to make a harness and didn’t want to reinvent the wheel and I saw that he referenced making a Y adapter so I thought I’d ask him about it. Appreciate the posting here so others can benefit!

Quoted from ChipScott:

Sorry if I missed it, but wow, that's an amazing idea and good looking execution... I sure would love to see a short video of that in action. Excellent work, man!

You missed it because it was about 6000 posts ago!

#8555 1 year ago
Quoted from ShineSpark:

Sidebar: I'm looking to polish the wireforms and on the LE they look to be brass... any thoughts as to a safe metal polish? Was just going to use blue magic.
A sincere thank you to you all once again!

Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

I think if you try to polish the factory brass you’ll end up with chrome wire forms. I just used mild soap and tried to clean the best I could

I used Nevr-Dull at the advice of a previous poster and it worked great. Certainly I wouldn’t go crazy because I’m sure you can rub off the factory plating but in my case it turned out fantastic.

#8574 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRex47:

I have it stored in my hard drive. Its hundreds of files. If there was some way to drop it to a dropbox I would say it's possible to transfer it.

It sounds like one of the Pinsound mixes… Wool or Hawknole?

1 week later
#8604 1 year ago

I used Comet Matrix for the lighting. There are three green star post LEDs which are affixed to the underside of the upper clear acrylic piece with double sided tape. The wires run down underneath the laser etched path and aren't visible from above. The wires are routed out through the same slot the main connector goes through and then alligator clipped to a GI bulb under the playfield. If you wanted to link the lights to the flashers at the rear of the POTD you could do so fairly easily.
The figures are attached with the same Gorilla mounting tape to the top of the etched acrylic piece and just placed over top of the star posts below.

Quoted from flynnibus:

thx for elaborating.

FYI if you do attach those to the POTD lights (I have the same setup) you do need diodes for them to light correctly because POTD are matrixed lights

#8615 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

My journey just began! I have what looks to be an almost new LOTR machine with a color DMD with what otherwise looks like a blank slate when it comes to mods. It looks like there are a lot of great options for this one, so this should be fun!
One thing I noticed is that it looks like a bulb is missing. Does anyone know where I should look to find the replacement part?
I was also wondering if there was a figurine missing where this vertical nail-like post is sticking up.
Finally, it looks like the Palantir target (which is begging for a decal of some sort) is really off-centered. Is this atypical?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from Neal_W:

Welcome to the club!
No bulb missing. Originally there was a Red Flasher bulb there, and yours has been replaced with an LED flasher. I found a red bulb condom to cover the LED flasher installed there on mine.
No Figurine missing. That post is just there to keep balls from getting stuck.
Targets get pushed sideways sometimes. The leaning standup target can be removed from the bottom, and then you loosen up the leaf switch stack and make it straight.
Your pin looks to be in great condition. The Gimli saucer shown in your photo has no wear.

Quoted from drummermike:

I put in an 8 SMD red #906 flasher. I think it looks better.

I lot of people (myself included) keep that bulb as incandescent because it’s supposed to fade on and off gradually during the wraith mode. LEDs wouldn’t do that… unless maybe you had an LED OCD board, youd have to try it.

Marco carries the incandescents for fairly cheap if you’re already ordering and can justify the shipping.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-0906R

#8632 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hello I have a 2006 Lotr. I’m thinking of adding nvram. Is this the right version? I see two of them at pinball life. Do I just replace it with the u212 chip? Also do I need to remove the battery holder or just removing the batteries is fine? I don’t know how to remove battery holder if necessary. Scores will still be kept with nvram right? Sorry for the multiple questions https://www.pinballlife.com/anypin-dmd-nvram-battery-eliminator.html

This is the one I used

Ramtron FM1608 NVRAM - 28 Pin DIP (Replaces 6264 RAM)

From Matt’s basement arcade. Check the number on your current chip, mine said 6264 so this was the replacement. Just pull the old one out and stick this in, but be careful of bending pins (or use a chip puller).

I would advise against removing the battery holder. You don’t need to. Just take out the batteries. I cut the little cable tie thinking that would remove it and it didn’t. I think you’d have to go behind the head board. Just leave it.

#8638 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

Hello all you Lords out there!
Next friday i will turn into a Lord too!
Meanwhile i have some minor questions:
-What's the difference from the version from 2003 and 2009, i saw that there is two different versions but i can't find the differences.
-EDIT ( already found some photos on the forum, so it's almost like a bally / williams dot, i will just rent a bigger car ) EDIT Can someone show me a photo of the electronics in backbox, so i can see if is easy to remove the cables and unmount the backbox from the main box, to put it in my car, i do that with the new stern since there is not too much cables, but for the old bally / williams there is a bit too much cables to remove and i prefer to rent a car. EDIT
Thank you all in advance

Search the thread, this question has been asked at least a couple of times before

#8639 1 year ago
Quoted from blazingsaddlz:

I've got an uninstalled Balrog Whip mod, and I can't find any installation instructions for it. Would anyone be able to point me to where I can find the instructions? Thanks!

It’s a Dropbox link and he has to share it with you. PM PersonX99

4 weeks later
#8730 1 year ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

Any suggestions for improving the lighting? My LOTR is so dark when I have my roo lights off and only my neon sign lighting the room. I have real trouble following the ball. My LOTR has incandecent bulbs. This one and my WOZ are pretty dark compared to my other games. Thanks

Pinstadiums are incredible on this pin. Fun fact, Pinstadiums were first designed for Lord of the rings. So not only do they brighten it up a ton but also they are interactive. The effects with the path of the dead UV and the Balrog are super cool.

#8763 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

My understanding is that it can be made to work with no ghosting bulbs with the settings. I'm sure others will chime in, since many here use the LED OCD.

Quoted from TheShaft:

LED OCD states not to use “non ghosting” bulbs

The answer you seek is here. He answers it in detail. Tl;dr it will work with tweaks but the on/off ramp won’t be as dramatic as regular LEDs.

http://ledocd.com/faq_led.html

#8764 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

That piece is what the ball often hits when it falls back out of the ring hole. Located directly under the center ramp.
I wouldn't say any of the plastics commonly break except for Arwen. Are you splitting up your extras or just selling as a group?

Yeah I would get an Arwen protector and sling plastic protectors and you’ll likely be good. Much cheaper than hunting down replacements.

1 week later
#8792 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

You can download all of them on one USB and switch between them lowering volume to 0 and back up again and it cycles through them. At least on my pinsound I have in TAF.

Quoted from glpinball:

Addendum: I think you have to double tap zero and it switches.

Yes double tap to zero to switch. This is what I did it, try them all to find the one you personally like best.. Keep in mind it takes longer for the board to start up the more packages you add, so once you choose the one you like you may want to delete the others off the USB stick.

#8817 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

working on my POTD mod. 3 figures. diy acrylic base just covering the top area over the rollovers. LEDs under/in figures.
I have seen 3 approaches for the LEDs:
1. always on
2. 4 figures with leds tied to the lights behind
3. Steve's mod which i believe has a fading circuit that turns on when the vuk is triggered and turns off when ball drains.
I am interested in if anyone has any other solutions, and/or poke holes in my plan for a new solution:
cheap arduino board.
input 1: orthanc vuk switch
input 2: the 4 roll overs, tied together with diodes.
extra inputs??
The arduino can PWM the leds to achieve different brightnesses.
The LEDs will come on, or increase in brightness, when the ball enters POTD. They'll go back to normal a few sec after the first rollover is triggered (seems weird to leave it on until drain)
When a rollover is hit, the figures will flash (to have the sense of interactivity)
Probably when the ball is not on the mini playfield, would have the figures gently glowing or pulsing slowly. Since the board has plenty of pwm outputs can have them slightly out of sync which might be nice
Any gotchas? I am still very new to pinball (this would be my first DIY electronics mod) and my hobby electronics skills are a bit rusty.
Any other inputs that would make sense for triggering the figures (when the ball is not on POTD)

About to post my POTD project which is nearly finished. But I think the best lighting rig is a harness that slips seamlessly in with the POTD lights so the characters are all lit individually with them. Diodes are a must and using the harness it’s completely reversible but also not prone to issues. Here’s a pic of the one that my buddy TopJimmyCooks made for me last weekend. Props to the other posters in this thread that had the idea to do it this way and showed their strategy!

7113C7B1-955E-4916-950C-C19F7B0187FC (resized).jpeg7113C7B1-955E-4916-950C-C19F7B0187FC (resized).jpeg
#8820 1 year ago
Quoted from matlynch91:

This is awesome. I have all the pieces to make the mod with the exception of the wiring/lighting. Does anyone sell a solution like you’ve created? Thanks.

Yes. Kim at Kimball’s Pinballs. But it’s not cheap.

https://www.kimballspinballs.com/lord_of_the_rings/

2 weeks later
#8858 1 year ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am struck by inconsistencies in the bass response in my LOTR with Pinsound. Sometimes it is tinny. The odd thing is that the cabinet woofer always plays sounds, music, etc. But after a little while of use, the bass level comes way up. It is striking how much louder it gets with a lot more bass, almost like a switch has been thrown.
I redid the connections. I used trifurcon connectors.
I just noticed the same issue with Tommy too, in addition to LOTR.
I figured #18 speaker wire would be a dramatic improvement over the cabinet wiring, but all I have on hand is #16, which is way overkill.
I crimped in a short connection to the trifurcon crimp, then spliced in the #16 and ran it all the way to the cabinet speaker.
The result, so far - in both LOTR and Tommy, is consistent bass response. I can now adjust the pots and optimize the sound.
I like the Pinsound boards. I wish they had screw connections for the speakers. And some documentation as to how the three bass pots affect the sound would be nice. As far as I can tell, increasing the bass affects all three speakers. But the other two pots affect only the cabinet speaker?[quoted image][quoted image]

Does your Pinsound have a subwoofer RCA out like mine does?

Any pin will have tremendously better bass with a dedicated sub, especially with Pinsound.

In my area small used power subs are listed all the time in the $25-50 range.

2 weeks later
#8913 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

what else does it show?? link?

“we carried out a recent update of the control system with an even more efficient card than the previous one, with a higher storage capacity which now uses information from the switch matrix for interaction. This allows to have an additional animation in the hole of the Gollum which is reserved for him with a cult moment of the film.”

He posted that and a video here

https://www.2niro-pinball.com/palantir-lord-of-the-rings/1883/

#8930 1 year ago
Quoted from F-2NIRO:

Hi everyone, not much time to hang out on the forum these days, so many late orders, new projects that are struggling to be finalized, not to mention the restoration of PF and yet, I work every day without taking any rest .
I will still answer the questions and provide some clarifications.
we made a V2 because, as you know, we are living in a period of crisis which also affects electronic components, the equipment we used for the palantir V1 was increasingly hard to find.
we have therefore migrated to a more consistent and more efficient architecture.
Of course, we had to rewrite the whole program, the card used has a higher storage capacity and we thought why not improve the mod.
this is how two sequences were considered, in addition to the eye of sauron, a sequence with gollum for the hole of the gollum and a sequence with the finger of sauron and its ring with the inscriptions which ignite.
a change of trigger was therefore programmed using the switch matrix, unfortunately, this made a considerable number of bytes and it was impossible to have 3 different sequences, the finger and its ring were planned with the capture of the ball in the ring, but the resolution had to be lowered to save storage memory and the rendering was not satisfactory.
we decided to remove the one of the ring and the finger of sauron, that's it for the story.
in summary, what changes, a LORD OF THE RINGS logo appears at startup, the sequence of the eye on fire is more fluid and of better definition and the sequence of gollum appears when the ball falls into the hole of the gollum.
we added an attrack mod that lets the LOTR logo appear then the eye on fire every 150 seconds of inactivity.
as the triggers are made by the switch matrix, there is more interaction with the lighting..
all this had a cost that I passed on to V2.
for the ring of fire, I increased by 5€ because the components increased a lot and the price had never increased for a long time despite the incessant price increases of the supplies.
the barddur tower has also had its update with a new map and a new, prettier interaction.
i add here a link with the new vidéo sequence.

Franck, any possibility of providing an upgrade from V1 to V2 of the Palantir and Tower?

#8931 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

ok, now I'm really confused on this..it's been a dog's age' since I installed the palintir globe..and I guess it had some sorta box that attached underneath the playfield...I thought the static 'EYE' was just a printed peice of paper/artwork, and NOT VIDEO...Is this not true? Because if it does acutal video, then I want to upgrade the box to the current active 'scenes' of animation that he's got going on! (Unless I bought a different variation from someone else..don't remember). Mine was the $200 big globe version with the static Eye of Sauron, btw. ANY INSIGHT ON THIS BOYZ?

The one sold on Pinside is static and not video. Franck’s has always been video and is more expensive.

3 weeks later
#9038 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

How does one get the Balrog plastic off to change a bulb? Mine is working fine, but I might be upgrading to LED's soon, so I wanted to get an idea of what I will be dealing with. Looks easy enough, although I removed the two screws holding it in place and it would not come off. Didn't want to force it, so let it be for now.
Any tricks or tips?

Look up the Stern Balrog LED conversion kit instructions.

There’s more to it than just changing the bulb… I think, unless you already have an LED OCD board. They have several parts that are changed out when you switch it to LED.

#9043 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

I just need to know how to get that plastic off, to get access to the bulb. The manual says it is only held fast by two screws, utilizing two washers. Those were easy to get to and off. The plastic wouldn't budge and that's my issue.
Not sure I'm going to LED's. Sooner or later, LED's or not, that bulb is going to burn out and need replacement.
I found the service bulletin you recommended. It doesn't say anything about removing the plastic, seems to make it clear that it doesn't need to be removed to replace the lighting. Marco has that piece for sale atm, as well as the entire unit. It's expensive, both are for that matter. I'm wondering if there isn't some type of seal, that's making it difficult to remove.

There’s a screw that attaches the bulb to the Balrog. Step 3. Did you do that?

47078E49-553E-41F2-A363-E6391D90829F (resized).png47078E49-553E-41F2-A363-E6391D90829F (resized).png
4 weeks later
#9187 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

I just wrapped up this project. Found a nice huo example down in Kentucky from a guy that bought it new for the grandkids. They didn’t play it much lol. I went a bit over board on this one…still need to get art blades but I was able to upgrade the sound to flipper fidelity all around. I added the pinsound package with shaker and external volume control. New glass new rubber plus fresh lolly pop rails. Led backbox light show integrated with gameplay and full non ghosting LEDs. Speaker lights and an aux 12v that runs the majority of the mods. Check out the video here I’m happy with how it came out. The custom sound package is really something to experience. Lemme know what you think in the comments. Cheers! Here’s part two

Jkush18 what Pinsound mix is that ?

#9188 1 year ago
Quoted from -Gramps:

First, thanks to all of you for your helpful LOTR posts in general, & more specifically, for responding to my newbie questions. I sincerely appreciate you!
I absolutely love this pin! My wife, grandkids & friends love to play it because of the fantastic (especially for a 20+ yr old pin) mechanicals, the theme, the shots…it is definitely our favorite. We have enjoyed it daily, consequently, I haven’t yet changed the original rubber, installed a PinSound system, or many other mods I bought for it. Time to open her up & get busy with repairs, maintenance & mod installation! But…I hate to take it out of commission!
** I need to ask your help again, plz: I acquired my LOTR about 4 months ago & have aways had a problem with the spinner. It defaults to a horizontal position & consequently, seldom registers an increase in the Ring value. If I pull back the glass & spin it by hand, it does register correctly, but refuses to rest in the vertical position with the heavier “half” hanging down as a target. Do I need to replace just the spinner itself, or is it most likely the whole spinner mechanism? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Again- thanks! I have 5 pins now, & have found this owner’s club to be the most informative & supportive.

Can you post a picture of how the arm of the spinner sits on the little metal lever to the left of the ramp? (The switch)

The switch lever pushing down on that little button on the switch box to which it’s attached is how it registers spins.

You probably need to troubleshoot how that sits and how it presses down on the lever/button when spun.

1 week later
#9207 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

My left flipper buzzes or hums when I hold it. Sounds like could be the coil. Any cause for concern?

I just went through this. As they said, make sure coil stop is tight, but also make sure the flipper is all the way down towards the playfield when you tighten. When I would try to tighten my stops, my flippers would tend to end up a little bit high and I still got the noise.

#9212 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Granted I think you still want about a credit card's width of vertical play re: being able to pull the flipper up.

Yes all the way down in my case they aren’t and certainly shouldn’t touch the playfield.

#9252 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Can anyone take a measurement and maybe send me a picture of how the clear plastic (830-6018-00 in manual) under the ring-ish is oriented? Mine was snapped when I got the machine years ago so I removed it, figured as part of my teardown I could recreate one out of lexan or something. (Also my 37 plastic below that is snapped if anyone has an extra they’d be interested in parting with)
[quoted image]

Where is that piece on the playfield?

1 month later
#9399 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I finished painting the fellowship and adding/reading.
I started with all new AOME figures except Aragorn and the Orks. Gollum I 3d printed from a free model I found. Really proud of his paint job. The other models I just added some shading and highlighting to try to bring them to live. A lot of them I created custom bases for and replaced original plastics. Also recently added the volcano, tower, and bag end from pinworlds.
Oh Gandalfs staff I made myself and am somewhat proud of. I don't know if I really did the circuit right, so maybe the led will burn out before long, we'll see!
Still to do is spruce up my path of the dead, play with my ocdled/lighting, and a couple of other ideas I have.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very impressive!

1 week later
#9435 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Can someone recommend me some hardware for my path of the dead? I have a laser etched acrylic piece to go on top, to put aome models on.. it has 5 mounting holes. So I guess I need to replace the posts in those 5 spots with something that has a threaded top. But also has rubber/silicon on it for the ball. As bouncy as possible so I can try to nudge the ball around. And for the posts not used for mourning, what should I use? Currently have some after market things but want to replace with maybe clear posts? With again some bouncy rings.

I posted my design a few posts back if you search my name. I think I put part numbers in there. If not, I can look them up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 39.50
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider adrock.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=adrock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.