pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WizardsCastle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4122 4 years ago

Does anyone find the middle ramp sometimes needs adjusting?

1 month later
#4199 4 years ago

The VUK in my Shire is not popping up the balls consistently. 70% of the time, the ball ends up in the Shire, and stays there until ball search.

Then it usually tries to pop it up, but it ends up not getting onto the wireform, and dropping back into the Shire.

Does this sound like the switch or VUK or both?

Thanks

#4202 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

The vuk is a switch, replace it. Happens after a while...
Bending it up may be a temporary fix but it'll stop working after a little bit.

Bending it upwards or downwards?

I'll give it a shot before replacing.

Thanks

1 week later
#4261 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Hey, isn't it awesome when you have a long first ball almost getting to DTR and think hell yeah! Then lose the 2nd and 3rd in a matter of seconds!?
Fuuuuuuuuu...

Haha, yup that's pinball!

I have had so many games like that on LOTR, I'm surprised I haven't flipped the machine over!

The worst for me was getting within 1 shot of starting Valinor, but the weak flippers wouldn't make the shot up the ramp

I didn't play pinball for a month after that!

1 week later
#4331 4 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Destroy the Witch King is the one I struggle with the most... you really get one shot at making the Aragon ramp once you've made either the Legolas ramp or Merry orbit, you miss it and you're done... only time i've gotten a quick second chance is if I brick a shot into the plantir and it comes right back to my flipper and I make the Aragon shot...
What works for me is the Legolas ramp over the Merry orbit as I'm better at making the Aargon shot from the left flipper... if I do the Merry orbit, I let it bounce form the left flipper to the right one and time it right to fire it into the Aargon shot.
The *best* strategy for me making Witch King though is really to pair it Fellowship Multi-Ball, you are aiming for those two shots through the multi-ball so you can pretty much luck your way into it. I haven't owned LOTR for long, a couple of months now, and I'd say I've completed Witch King maybe twice while not in Fellowship Multiball.
Easiest mode for me would be Ents for sure.

I don't even play it anymore. My odds of finishing it are low, so would rather not bring in a MB with it.

Yesterday I had a game and had 8 gifts and everything finished except ROTK. Poop!

The rules on this game are superb!

3 weeks later
#4380 4 years ago

I was one very last shot away from starting Valinor, and the flippers were too weak to make the ring shot.

It's weird because it made the first ring shot, but the second just wouldn't go. I made about 7-8 shots, and some were very clean.

I also noticed that it's usually easy to make the first ring shot, but not the second. Even if I get into DTR early on.

Any ideas what that could be?

#4407 4 years ago

My strategy has always been to use MBs to complete 3 of the modes for gifts. If that goes well, you can forget about all the other modes and time them out, as the other 4 gifts must come from completing the 3 MBs and DTR.

I know if I have a fighting chance based on my first go at ROTK and DTR. If I F-up ROTK, and I miss completing DTR the first time around, the odds of Valinor decrease significantly.

ROTK is the real killer though. I've only completed it twice, and those two games were one or two shots away from Valinor.

In my opinion, this game in coding perfection!!!

Not sure how Dwight was part of this magic, and now he does games like Munsters

#4411 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Every time I play this game I am reminded how perfect the code and rules are. You have so much to do, but it never feels like chopping wood at all. I defeated Balrog last night in the FOTR multiball for the first time. I always started the 3 MBs to get to DTR, but I never finished them. Now I’m trying to collect all the gifts from the elves, which requires a lot of skill and a little luck! They just don’t make them like LOTR anymore.

Remember, you only need 3 gifts from modes. It's best to start modes with a MB that has similar shots. For instance, Two Towers with Warg.

After getting those the other 3 gifts would ideally come from MBs, and the final one from completing DTR.

All of which is required to ever get a shot at Valinor.

There is a lot to do in LOTR but the strategy is to not do more than you have to

#4425 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

where are you getting the 7th elf gift from? if you complete the 3 mmb you are at 6 elve gifts but you cannot start another ring mode as the next ring shot will start DTR. maybe get to 4 non MMB gifts by a DTR along the way before completing the MMBs?

3 modes, 3 MBs, and 1 DTR. There are your 7 gifts.

Then you just have to line everything up so that the next time you go to DTR, everything is completed, including starting TABA.

#4427 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Ah, makes sense

I seem to always screw up that first DTR, and that makes your chances at Valinor pretty slim. I think I need to upgrade to the medium coils, because I usually drain from a weak center shot.

Also, can anyone confirm, does DTR have to be completed before you start another DTR to get to Valinor? Pretty sure I know the answer, but just checking.

#4430 4 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

I upgraded to the medium coils and didn't notice any difference over the originals.

Didn't notice that flippers don't get fatigued during a long game?

1 week later
#4473 4 years ago
Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

The Pinball Life ones are far stronger. The ones I offer on here are between the PL ones and the stock ones.
Andrew

I wonder if anyone reaches Valinor without your coils?

I know I was one shot away, and the factory coils had no juice in them.

I purchased your coils... Just too lazy to install them yet

#4489 4 years ago

Curious to know how you guys find the center ramp shot on your game. Do shots often go up the ramp and right through the ring with power, or do they rely more on the magnet to catch them?

I've owned two LOTRs, and on my previous games, I was doing DTR in 30-40 seconds at best. Now, 1:30 is considered quick on this other machine.

Seems that a lot of shots up the ramp end up just falling down, rather than crossing over into the ring.

I'm thinking either the spinner is impeding the shot, or the angle of the ramp is off.

Any suggestions?

#4492 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

It's a SDTM nightmare when the flippers get weak resulting in poor shot at the ramp. The magnet catches the ball a good 98% of the time. Yes, a bent spinner does in fact impede velocity and the spinners wire form does get bent. Go into test mode and spin the spinner and place the ball in the ring. Ensure the spinner switch works without that working the magnet wont come on. Check the magnet fuse. Use a 4 amp if 3 is present.

I put in a brand new spinner, so I think it might be the ramp. Anyone have suggestions on how to tell if it's level?

Can anyone who has one working well perhaps take a photo with a flat ruler showing where it is in relation to the ring opening.

#4504 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Is the spinner face angled back at the bottom? If the bottom of the spinner face is angled towards the front it will take some momentum away from the ball.

Not sure if this photo shows it, but here goes....

IMG_20190710_165420 (resized).jpgIMG_20190710_165420 (resized).jpg
#4506 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Bingo! When your ball hits that spinner it hits it on the bottom leading edge that is angled forward. That will absorb a lot of energy from the ball, making the ramp shot so much harder. Ideally the spinner should be almost perpendicular to the playfield, with the bottom edge just slightly away from the direction the ball will hit it from, i.e. in this case the bottom edge should be just towards the ramp. Adjust the spinner to that, and then the spinner will no longer absorb as much energy from the ball.

Can you share a photo of yours?

#4509 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Unfortunately my LOTR is "on location" at a friend's house, but I've made a quick crude drawing showing the spinner in both configurations. With the spinner bottom edge forward it absorbs a lot of the energy from the ball up the face, following that blue arrow upwards.. In the correct configuration the spinner just spins from the ball hitting it.
[quoted image]

I'm not sure how or where to bend the spinner.

Won't bending it negatively affect the circular motion it rotates in?

The spinner I have is brand new, so shouldn't it be set correctly?

#4511 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Slightest bending of the spinner arms is allowed that is needed in many cases. This thread got a few other hints:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/spinner-balance#post-2394292

How are you bending it to ensure both sides are done equally?

If the spinner was flat on a table, are you bending the arms up or down parallel to the table, or perpendicular?

#4515 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

hard to tell from your photo if you have it but there is also an upgraded heavier duty post for the spinner . ( original post would bend causing spinner issues?) stern service bulletin 154
https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-ring-ramp-post-kit.html
aukrauts diagram very helpful! will check my orientation tonight
although I get a lot of ring fails or ramp rejects leading to STDM if I do not hit the shot clean I blame it more on my general suckage . I think I probably get some flipper fade over a long game and thinking of changing to upgraded flipper coils but then I will have nothing to blame....

I think I bought the upgraded post and have it in a box somewhere.

I'll have a look to see if the post has shifted. The game is almost brand new, so doesn't have much wear on it.

Definitely need to get this ring shot sorted because it's really getting in the way of my trip to Valinor

#4516 4 years ago

So any suggestions on what direction I need to bend the spinner arms?

#4518 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Leave the spinner in place, grab one of the arms with a pair of needlenose pliers, and slightly push the spinner into the direction you want it to move. Don't force it, those arms aren't very big. Next do the same to the other arm. Lather, rinse, repeat until you have it where you want it....

Cheers!

I wonder if it will need pushing or pulling based on the current position

#4521 4 years ago

Pushing the spinner toward the back of the game straightened it out.

Now just have to figure out how the heck to align this ramp with the ring!

#4527 4 years ago

One shot on ROTK away from starting DTR for Valinor... Not the closest I've been, but definitely close enough to blurt out some colourful language.

Still my favorite game of all time. An absolute masterpiece!

1 week later
#4550 4 years ago

Where did you guys get those speakers mods with the ring?

#4568 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I think you have to replay both Multiballs. But you could just one them out. But have to requalify and replay iirc

You would have to start all MBs to get DTR started, before entering Valinor.

But as Paynemic said, you could just time them out.

3 weeks later
#4672 4 years ago

Thought last night was going to be Valinor glory!

Completed everything and started DTR. Made the two shots left, and then the right ramp. Tried to hit the right orbit and it rattled off the post, came and drained!!!

Sooooooooooooo close!!!

Still my favorite pinball machine ever!

1 month later
#4900 4 years ago

Having issues with making the ring shot. It just doesn't seem to have the juice or the spinner is slowing it down.

I've adjusted the spinner so it leans towards the back of the games bit, but still having lots of shots that just go 3/4 up the ramp and roll back down.

This is the second LOTR that I have owned and the previous one definitely shot better than this.

Any suggestions?

#4913 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Just the basics. Have you rebuilt the flippers? Are you using upgraded coils?

The game was barely used when I got it. All coils were like new, so figured I didn't need to upgrade.

3 months later
#5465 4 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

You can check my last video of gameplay on LORD, should i level it diferent, what can i improve?

Thanks

What coil are you running? APB medium?

Curious to know if most of you getting these amazing DTR times are also using medium coils?

My ramp shots seems weak, even early in a game.

2 weeks later
#5492 4 years ago

Quick question about voltage... Some of my outlets measure around 121-122V, and others closer to 120V.

Could this 1-2V difference affect the power of the flippers?

IMG_20200118_182356 (resized).jpgIMG_20200118_182356 (resized).jpgIMG_20200118_181934 (resized).jpgIMG_20200118_181934 (resized).jpg
#5494 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

No. US & Canada voltage mains are ~120VAC +/-6%. The AC voltage is converted to lower DC voltages inside cabinet. Measuring the voltage supply at flippers & comparing to spec would be a better indicator.
-Adam

How would I test power at the flippers?

Multimeter on coil lugs?

#5496 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

You can read the DC voltage between a coil lug and cabinet ground. (with the coin door interlock pulled)

Noob question... But while game is on or off?

Also, what reading should I get?

And cabinet ground is any ground in the game?

#5497 4 years ago

Just saw interlock pulled... So that would mean power on??

1 week later
#5512 4 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Looking for any tips on tightening this post in the picture (middle post). I'm hoping I can do it somehow without removing the whole sword assembly and too many other pieces. I can't seem to figure out how to get at this easily. It screws into a T-Nut under the playfield and it's tight against the sword lock mechanism so not enough room to get at it and put a nut on it.
Thanks![quoted image]

I'm curious about the same.

1 week later
#5548 4 years ago

Can someone post a couple of photos from different angles showing how your spinner is positioned (especially if your game has smooth ramp shots).

Thanks!

3 weeks later
#5607 4 years ago

Anyone use lube on their spinner? Find that the spinner sometimes rejects shots.

1 month later
#5769 3 years ago

My best time yet!

IMG_20200408_000442 (resized).jpgIMG_20200408_000442 (resized).jpg
#5771 3 years ago

Cheers!

This is my second LOTR. On my first one, the ring was much easier to hit, and I think my best time was about 30 secs.

On this current pin, the ring is much harder to hit, so my best time was 56 seconds for the last year!

#5775 3 years ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

Do you have Destroy the Ring set for one-ball or two-ball play? I currently have mine set for one ball, but may try the other option sometime.

One ball. I always leave my games on factory settings, and also like the single ball better.

1 week later
#5821 3 years ago

Quick question... What is the default factory position for the outlane posts? In the middle?

#5865 3 years ago

Having a few I was hoping someone might be able to help with...

1) Is this post with washer on top (see photo) supposed to be here? If so, it is constantly coming loose and rattling.

2) occasionally I get phantom hits on Balrog. Seems to only happen when he come out during regular gameplay, not fellowship MB. Any ideas what this could be?

3) I've had a few instances where two balls are locked for two towers MB, and the MB will start without hitting the sword ramp. Any ideas?

Thanks!

IMG_20200420_193512 (resized).jpgIMG_20200420_193512 (resized).jpg
#5869 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

1) It's supposed to be there. It's to eliminate a place that the ball could potentially become trapped.
2) & 3) Sounds like they're both switch issues that may need adjusting or replacing.

Anything I can do to keep that post from continuously coming loose? I tighten and it lasts about 5 games.

#5872 3 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Blue loctite
amazon.com link »
A drop of clear nail polish should hold it for a while if you can't get loctite for a bit.

I actually just bought some before this pandemic!

Thanks!

#5881 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

1) It's supposed to be there. It's to eliminate a place that the ball could potentially become trapped.
2) & 3) Sounds like they're both switch issues that may need adjusting or replacing.

Opened the game up tonight and didn't see anything out of place. All switch look fine, and they do usually work.

Tonight I played a game, and while in Fellowship MB, no shots would register when I hit Balrog. In the same game, I started Fellowship again, and sure enough, it started working.

Any idea what that could be?

#5889 3 years ago

Getting a pretty nasty buzz from my left flipper.

Any suggestions?

1 month later
#6169 3 years ago

Having a strange issue with Balrog. I'll sometimes start Fellowship MB and no hits to him register, and the following game it will work fine. It seems completely random.

I also noticed tonight, that no hits were registering, but when the ball went into the Shire, a hit registered.

Not sure if it was a phantom hit, or something else.

Anyone?

#6184 3 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Yep, this is likely your issue. I had the same behavior and did exactly as recommended above; removed harness from game and rebuilt it on the bench. I soldered the wires at a 90deg angle from the switch solder tabs. This helps eliminate the hard kink the stock wires have against the metal backing plate. This is what eventually leads to the wire failures.

I actually have a harness replacement, so would it be as easy as disconnect the old, reconnect the new?

And what the easiest way to access the harness?

Lastly, I noticed that I have Two Towers ready to go, and just needed to make the sword shot to start it, and hitting something else in the game actually started it (not mystery).

Is this likely due to vibration?

#6191 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

I’m having the same issue with Balrog not always registering and phantom hits when there’s no balls near him. Also have the occasional Two Towers mb starting during play without hitting the last sword lock or mystery rewarding it. So possibly these two are connected somehow.

Guess it's comforting to know we're not alone

Anyone know if these switches are somehow connected in the matrix, or if perhaps these are phantom hits?

Kind of weird that we're both having exactly the same issue with Balrog and TTT MB.

#6194 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

I’m having the same issue with Balrog not always registering and phantom hits when there’s no balls near him. Also have the occasional Two Towers mb starting during play without hitting the last sword lock or mystery rewarding it. So possibly these two are connected somehow.

So, went it to switch test, and there were 4 switches active for the trough, and one active for Balrog open, and one for Balrog hit.

Should those switches be showing as active in test?

#6202 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

So, went it to switch test, and there were 4 switches active for the trough, and one active for Balrog open, and one for Balrog hit.
Should those switches be showing as active in test?

Anyone?

#6204 3 years ago
Quoted from KoP:

If balrog is not blocking the ramp, yes.

Played 3 games yesterday. First game, no balls were registering on Balrog. Following game, every shot registered.

I also notice phantom hits sometimes.

Anyone ever have this problem?

#6206 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

You've got a broken wire in the Balrog cable assembly causing these intermittent issues. Pinball Heaven UK sells a replacement or if you are handy with a soldering iron and heatgun you can repair your existing one.

I bought one of those replacement harnesses. What is involved in swapping them out? What do I need to do to open up balrog and swap the wires? Any soldering required?

#6208 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

You will need to uninstall the whole Balrog assembly (fairly straightforward), take it to the bench and disassemble, unsolder the existing harness, and solder on the new harness.

I see a small clip off to the right side on the post. Does this clip have to come out?

Just wondering the best way to approach this.

#6214 3 years ago

I've read somewhere that LOTR LE games did not have the same flipper fatigue issues that the standards have.

Is this true, and if so, what changed?

#6215 3 years ago

Think I just answered my own question. Did the LE come with the SAM system, as opposed to the Whitestar on the standard?

#6219 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Nope, both are Whitestar, which is why you can modify your standard to run the LE software and use a shaker if you replace a PAL chip.

Ahhhhhhh, that makes sense.

So both have the same flipper fatigue issues?

#6221 3 years ago

Decided to completely replace the flipper assemblies, as I had a set from Pinball Life. Wow, what a difference! New hardware definitely makes the game feel snappier. Ring shot is way more consistent now.

Encountered a problem while soldering the two black wires to the EOS on the left flipper. Seems Stern didn't give much slack, so it's pulling a bit tight. How can I extend the wire? I'm assuming I'd have to solder more wore to the existing one, then heat shrink it?

If so, what size wire is that and where can I get it? Also, where can I get the right heat shrink and heat gun?

And finally, anyone have any suggestions on soldering wires onto the lugs, especially the ones are are two twisted together?

I tried to out some solder on the lug and the wire, the heat them up as I'm trying to get the wire on the lug by hand. But because I'm holding the wire by hand, it's move all over the pace. For single wires, I just wrap them on the lug, and coat the crap out of the with solder.

But not sure how to do that with two wires, especially on a small EOS lug.

Thanks!

#6226 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I would just follow the wire back one zip tie or two and see if you can create a little slack. Especially if you don’t need much, there's always some slop in the harness.

Think the previous owner had cut it, as there is no slack. Going to need to extend it.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I would probably just add a 2 pin female molex connector to the existing wires and add some 22awg hookup wire to the switch with the matching male connector and call it good. Of course it does help that I have all of the materials on hand to do so.

I already have tubing. Just need to figure out what gauge that wire is, and where I can get some. Anyone know what gauge that black wire is going to the EOS?

#6232 3 years ago

Took the back plate off Balrog, and pull out the switch. Adjusted it a bit, so hopefully it responds better to hits. But before doing that, I played a he, and noticed that the left flipper was registering hits:

Anyone have a clue what this could be???

#6233 3 years ago

One more thing... Can anyone confirm that the black wires going to the EOS are 14 gauge?

And, on Amazon, I see 14 gauge listed as "automotive wire". Is this what I need?

Thanks!

#6236 3 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Usually if a flipper is causing switch hits, it’s due to vibration and the switch just needs to be adjusted.

You want copper stranded wire. I don’t know what gauge is there. Most 14 gauge copper stranded wire is good for about 15Amps.

This is what I bought:

https://www.grainger.com/mobile/product/SOUTHWIRE-Primary-Automotive-Wire-5LXF2

Can anyone confirm this will work. I also bought 16 gauge, but I think 14 is what I need for the black wires on the EOS?

Also, the strange thing about the flipper triggering Balrog is that after I let it go into ball search, and it swiveled out and then back in front of the ramp, the flipper no longer was activating it.

I also noticed something that seemed weird and not sure if this is right or not. The balrog was in the hidden position, and I had put him in this position by hand while I was working on it. When I went to power the game on, the assembly moved towards the ramp, but with a sound that appeared it was running out of power, and it only opened about 3/4 way.

Does this sound like there can be a problem with the motor? Or does this happen if you manually move it by hand while the game is off?

Thanks again for the help!

#6239 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I can confirm they aren't, there is nothing that big in the machine; even the the main power wires to the electrical outlet aren't going to be that big! The EOS switches are low current signal wires that don't pull any load, I would be willing to bet they are 22 at the most and may even be 24. If the black ground wire on the switch you are replacing is daisy chained, I will be amazed if you can actually solder a pair of 14AWG wires to it.

I just tested my wire stripper on one of the pieces I threw out and it fits perfectly in the 16 gauge.

Can anyone else chime in on this?

#6248 3 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

The wire used for the EOS is 18awg black. It’s written on the wire.

Thanks!

Just a noob questions... Why does it fit in the 16 slot of my wire stripper, and work perfectly.

If I put it in the 18, it seems to be loose.

#6250 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Pending on the stripper, they should be slightly loose and bladed at a slight angle when you pull to strip the wire, if they are too snug then it will chew through and cut strains away or break the wire.

I see some wire is 300V and some 600V.

What do I need?

#6252 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

300V is fine, more than likely the only difference is the thinkness of the insulation.

Awesome! Thank you all for the help!

Time to get this wire extended and get back to chasing down Valinor!

2 weeks later
#6279 3 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Looking for some suggestions on the best way to get at the post under the sword to replace the clear plastic post. I'm hoping there's an easier way than removing the whole sword but I can't see how. The bottom is just the thread coming out of the T-nut so it has to come out from above the playfield. Any advice?
Edit: got it sorted releasing all the nuts nearby (2 sword and on on the sling) I could get enough clearance to get it out.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Think you can remove screw at the top of the sword, and raise it up enough to access the post.

From what I recall at least...

1 week later
#6293 3 years ago

I have a few scuffs on the inside cabinet wall that I'd like to touch up.

Anyone know what paint would be a perfect match?

Thanks

#6296 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Rustoleum Semi-Gloss Black has always matched well for me on black cabinets

I guess it's recommended to pull the playfield out and then spray the entire cabinet wall?

#6297 3 years ago

Also, is there a paint that you could brush on to just touch up spots until I get around to spraying the entire wall?

#6300 3 years ago

Is this the stuff? Google gives me 99% American sites, but I did find this one:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/rust-oleum-painter-s-touch-painter-s-touch-multi-purpose-paint-in-semi-gloss-black-946-ml/1000140786

Also, do you find it to be a good match to the stock inside walls, so I can just touch up a couple of spots?

Thanks again!

#6317 3 years ago

I've had two LOTRs here at the same time, one with factory bulbs, and one with LEDs (and OCD).

I prefer the stock look, but LEDs looked pretty sharp too. I used warm white LEDs throughout, no colour matching as I find it changes the intended colour.

I don't play a lot, so not too worried about heat damage.

2 months later
#6502 3 years ago

Quick question on rules... Say I fail DTR, and then I get everything completed (7 gifts, TABA, and all 3 MBs) and then start DTR again... Will beating it send me into Valinor or do I have to defeat DTR before starting the DTR prior to Valinor?

Also, how many shots to the left orbit (forget the name of the hole it goes to in the top right) do you need to get the second MB?

Thanks!

#6507 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

If you mean you failed DTR after completing everything else you would need to get back to DTR by restarting the 3 mbs(but not finish) and then restart DTR ,if you complete that DTR then you will be at valinor
So rereading your first question which is a 2 parter my answer is yes,no
Regarding your second question do you mean second EB from tower shots? I think it is 47?

Yes, tower shots is what I meant. Crap, I was at like 40.

As for DTR, I failed the first attempt, but then completed everything, and started DTR (and failed).

But had I finished DTR then, I would have been at Valinor?

#6509 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

The last thing that you have to do before you can reach Valinor is DTR.

Shit, I was close then!!!

I've been one shot to the ring away from Valinor, but that time, I had DTR completed earlier in the game.

Now that I know this, it doesn't put so much pressure on me having to complete DTR prior to starting it after I get all other requirements.

2 years I've owned this game, and still in my opinion, the best game ever made!

#6513 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Just to make sure you are clear, you have to complete the 3 movie multiballs. Getting to the multiballs is the easy part. Finishing ROTK multiball is the hardest part.

Yes, I finished all 3 of them. ROTK is a tough mofo to complete. I think it's done it like 5 times since I've owned the game.

Well, still no Valinor, but not upset about that at all. I almost don't want to get it because it might take away some of that excitement about getting there.

1 week later
#6538 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Finally broke 100 million the other day, starting to consistently destroy the ring and get to TABA. First game I've owned and I dont think it will ever leave.

Greatest game of all time!

1 week later
#6545 3 years ago

By default, when are EBs given out in the tower shot? I know you get one at 7 hits, but when do you get the second EB?

#6546 3 years ago

Figured it out... 47!

I had the best game ever this afternoon. Did everything required expect one last level on ROTK, all on ball one (2 EBs used).

Had to put the game on pause because family came over, but I'm about to jump back in and I'm hoping not to completely shit the bed.

I now am circling around for the third time, starting all the MBs again, and hoping this time I can keep my nerves in check and get Valinor!

#6549 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Happens to me every time I break a game up with a time out. Sorry bro

All good... We're fortunate to have these games so we can try again and again.

Part of me feels like it's more special if I don't beat it, or I've convinced myself and of that until I do

I missed one very last shot to finish ROTK and it would have been time for DTR and possibly Valinor.

I've been closer, so maybe just wasn't the day for me. Felt like it for a minute

1 month later
#6641 3 years ago

Tonight felt like it was going the be the big night with LOTR...

Finished everything, still had 2 EBs, and started DTR for Valinor... Literally, the first shot hit the ramp post and bounced back faster than I've ever seen in this game right into the centre drain.

It was heartbreaking. I just stood there shaking my head.

Tonight wasn't the night

#6645 3 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

Oh man, gutted for you. Take a break and try again some day
Doubt I will ever get there but you just never know!

Yeah, not the worst disappoint I've had on this table... I once had it down to the final ring shot, and the flipper just didn't have the juice to make it. After that, I didn't play pinball for at least a month haha.

It's still my favorite game though. If I had to sell everything, and keep one pin, it would be LOTR without any consideration required. To me, it is the perfect pinball machine.

New games like Jurassic and Avengers are awesome, but they just don't make me as happy to play.

Anyhow, adding to the topic of pinball coils and flippers. I have a set of the APB coils, but honestly, aside from the late game fade, I like how the stock ones feel and I don't want to change it at all. Does Pinkmonk make a fan set? I know he does for a bunch of games.

#6659 3 years ago

Looking to replace the cabinet flipper switches, but a bit confused by the manual.

It lists 23A and 23B, although it shows 2 pieces for 23A and 0 for 23B. Just curious why 23B is even there.

So if it's 23A that I need two of, is this the part I need two of:

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-flipper-leaf-switch-single-contact.html

Thanks in advance!

1 month later
#6838 3 years ago

Anyone know what part number the two flipper switches (cabinet button) are?

The manual is a bit confusing.

Thanks!

#6841 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Anyone know what part number the two flipper switches (cabinet button) are?
The manual is a bit confusing.
Thanks!

Anyone?

4 months later
#7448 2 years ago

Can I bug one of you awesome people to take a photo of your flippers from as few different angles so I can see where it is supposed to be lined up from the factory (assuming you have no changed yours).

Thanks so much!!!!

#7450 2 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Here you go. I tried to take it so you can see both holes.
[quoted image]

Thanks so much!

Would you say the hole is aligned to the middle of the bats tip, or is the flipper slightly lower?

And, is this the factory setting (no changes made)?

1 month later
#7612 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Depends on your skill level as well. Did you ever get to Valinor? If not then you will probably never see everything on Hobbit. Curiously enough I had LOTR 12 years ago and at that time I couldn't beat it. Came close a few times but that's it. My skill level has dramatically improved. Got it about 6 weeks ago and already did Valinor twice. I find it kind of easy now.
Games are way deeper now on average.
I traded Stranger Things LE to get LOTR (and got cash too of course) and don't regret it at all. LOTR is so well integrated with the movies the immersion is amazing. I don't think Hobbit is at the same level. Way more complex game though. It's a matter of personal preference as others have mentioned.

To each their own, but no way would I ever let LOTR go for Hobbit, or probably any other game for that matter.

I had a Hobbit, and after 2 months, I was done with it. There is just too much going on, and it feels very disjointed. It's sort of lackluster to shoot, and although I love MBs, there are just too many in this game.

Needless to say, I let it go, and never regretted it.

This is not a knock on JJP. I just acquired another Dialed In (owned one in the past) and couldn't be happier. People who can't wrap their heads around the theme are missing out on one of the best games every made.

#7615 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Yep....Dialed in really is JJP's sleeper hit. 3 of us in our pinball group now have one and rank it as one of our favorites.

I owned an LE when it first came out, and the only reason I sold it was that I was fairly new to the hobby and wanted to try new games out.

It's one of the only games I've sold and missed enough to want to get it back, and now that I have it, I'm enjoying it immensely.

I'll never understand the people that get caught on theme and artwork. LOTR artwork is nothing to write home about, yet, it's one of the greatest games of all time. And loads of games out there have themes that are a dream for me (TMNT, GOT, etc) but the games themselves are dog shit.

I play pinball because I like... Pinball! If it happens to have a theme a like, double plus good! If not, I'll enjoy it just the same!

3 months later
#7890 2 years ago

Can I bug someone who has a great playing LOTR to share a few photos of their flippers.

I want the see where you have them aligned to the toothpick holes.

Thanks in advance

#7892 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The flipper bat should be centered over the toothpick hole on modern Sterns.

Any chance I could get a pic?

Thanks kindly

#7895 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

My flippers are slightly forward of holes. I can make all the shots set like this.
[quoted image]

Thanks dude!

Do.you know if that is factory default, or was it changed?

2 months later
#8075 2 years ago

First time for everything!

PXL_20220310_035551618 (resized).jpgPXL_20220310_035551618 (resized).jpg
8 months later
#8984 1 year ago

I have a list of issues, and I'm wondering if they're maybe on the same matrix or something.

1) The Shire switch often doesn't detect the ball, so I have to wait for the ball search to finally clear it

2) the top left pop bumpers isn't firing

3) Sometimes when I have Two Towers at 2 balls locked, I hit a shot (not the right ramp) and the multiball starts.

4) When I play DTR, the magnet does not seem to be as effective in grabbing the ball in normal play.

5) Balrog hits don't register often. I would say at least 50% of thenl time, or the first few do register, and then it doesn't, making it impossible to complete the mode.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

3 months later
#9318 1 year ago

Trying to figure out why some weird issues are happening with my game.

First off, is this switch test normal?

PXL_20230228_055647648 (resized).jpgPXL_20230228_055647648 (resized).jpg
#9320 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The 4 closed switches are the balls in the trough, so that's normal. If you're in switch test mode, does pressing switches around the PF register properly on the screen?
Have you changed your batteries recently? Are you the first owner, or could it have had battery damage before you got it. Battery damage if not cleaned up properly will keep eating traces and cause the machine to do weird things and eventually die.

I installed NVRAM a couple of years ago when I got it.

In the mode shown in the above pic, when I press the flipper buttons, nothing shows up.

Can you confirm what mode I should be in for the tests, so that I would see the switches activate as I trigger them?

Thanks,

#9329 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You want to be on the DIAG-> SW -> TEST menu to see them activate in real time. It looks like you're on the DIAG->SW->ACT menu which just shows you which switches are active. Check on on the SW->TEST menu to see if your switches update (try more than just flippers, with the glass off, hit targets, slings, rollover switches, etc to try to isolate where the problem is)

Found out on pop bumper wasn't working, and also adjusted Balrog, so hits are registering more consistently.

Have to play around more, but thanks.

2 weeks later
#9396 1 year ago
Quoted from Turtlepower169:

Yep. Pictures don't do it justice. [quoted image]

Where did you get it done?

Here's my super geeky plan... Once I manage to reach Valinor, I am going to get it powder coated haha!

1 week later
#9432 12 months ago

Planning to replace the center ramp.

Does anyone know what is required to take out and replace the ramp?

1 week later
#9461 11 months ago

After owning LOTR for about 6 years, I finally had the perfect game that got me to Valinor!

Ball 2 with 3 EBs to spare. I've never been so in sync with a game. Everything just clicked!

My wife ran downstairs because I was screaming hahaha!

PXL_20230410_050628746 (resized).jpgPXL_20230410_050628746 (resized).jpgPXL_20230410_053145600 (resized).jpgPXL_20230410_053145600 (resized).jpgPXL_20230410_053146869 (resized).jpgPXL_20230410_053146869 (resized).jpg

#9463 11 months ago

Worth noting as well, but I reached Valinor last night on factory coils. I know there's a lot of recommendation for medium coils, but after a rebuild, I felt mine played strong and long.

#9466 11 months ago
Quoted from flipper73:

i was also interested in medium coils. but I could not find them.

In my opinion and experience, try doing a rebuild. My game is playing amazing since doing this, and I played almost 2 hours in my Valinor game, and the flippers remained strong enough to hit all shots.

#9471 11 months ago

My wife asked me today in the car if I was going to sell the game now that I beat it. I had to think about it. A lot of games have come through here and left after I beat them, but then again, I still have MM and AFM that have been beaten multiple times, and they're bolted to the floor.

I don't have a great desire to play LOTR again, because I know it's a time commitment, but I also don't want to let it go because I think it's one of the greatest games ever designed, and I was lucky enough to find one that was almost like new.

Time will tell, but I think that it will join the ranks of MM and AFM, becoming a permanent fixture despite the fact I may not play it a lot.

2 months later
#9609 9 months ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Well, either way, you should rebuild them. If you rebuild them and you still have trouble, I guess you can get the more powerful coils, but rebuilt flippers will probably solve your issue.

Agreed. I rebuilt mine, and a week later, I had the game of all games and I got to Valinor!

I want the game to feel like it was designed, so I was reluctant to use the medium coils (even though I have them).

3 months later
#9751 6 months ago

Who sells the Arwen/Shire protector?

I had one in my game, and the piece that sits in the Shire completely snapped off while playing.

I think the full piece looked like this.

Anyone know where to find one?

lotrrampv2 (resized).jpglotrrampv2 (resized).jpg
#9757 5 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

That design was purchased from some other dude that redesigned it to be beefier and cover the entire side rail. He's still a member but his website is pretty much devoid so I reached out to him. If you want to buy one here's how:
USD30 includes shipping. You can send to paypal [email protected]
Since the Arwen plastic was reproduced, (and readily obtainable) I think I'm going to take my ramp out anyway. No point when we don't need to preserve.
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=803-5000-80-03N

I sent an email to [email protected] but haven't received any response.

Is he still in business?

1 week later
#9761 5 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

I've had this stupid pin for a decade. I can't say I've ever really spent months on end consistently playing it but I'm not a bad player .... never have I ever made Valinor. My God, well over 2 hours tonight .. everything just flowed. DTR X2, one shot away from completing TABA but ran out of time, all elf gifts, 3 times through movie MB only ever completing one. I just couldn't get it done. I seriously have a love hate for this machine.
And to add insult to injury seeing scores over a billion? Are you freaking kidding me? How do I play well over two hours to only end up with this low ass score? Clearly I'm at the very least a decent player and I can't beat this God forsaken banned from hell machine?
[quoted image]

310M is not a low score at all. Don't bother looking at the scores on Pinside. I put mine up merely to keep track of them, but I'm well aware that depending on the setup of your game, things can be very different. Many people put on more than 3 balls, hand out EBs at certain scores, close outlanes, etc.

Even pitch can make a huge difference. Closer to 6.5 makes the side to side action harder to control for example.

What I prefer to look at is how close my score is to reaching the end of the game. At 310M, you're in the neighborhood.

So, instead of beating yourself up about a great score, try to tell yourself, that in fact, you're getting close to Valinor

#9780 5 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Why send an email? Simply send $30 via paypal to provided email address, add note stating for LOTR Arwen ramp mod and wait for it to arrive.

Why would I send money when this person doesn't even reply to an email.

Does anyone know if they're still in business?

#9784 5 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Are you intentionally being dense? I already posted earlier that I had reached out to him and he responded to me. I simply relayed the information to the group as a few mentioned interest. If you don't want one then don't send the money.

Are you intentionally being a dick? You don't seem like one as you did take time to provide me the info for the part.

So come on man, the guy didn't respond, so why would I send money.

You can't see how that might be a bit concerning?

#9786 5 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

It's actually not concerning to me because the guy has been around forever. He's already proven he's capable (and has) provided valuable product to the community several times over. It's not a great deal of money and it's one piece of plastic that is literally self-explanatory of how to install. There is no question that needs to be asked. You're being difficult ... I'd safely assume he feels the same way. I wouldn't respond to an email either other than to provide a tracking number.
I've just accepted the fact a lot of companies in general have become terrible at responding to emails.

Huh????

You think it's acceptable to run a business where someone emails to inquire about purchasing something from your shop, and you decide you'd rather not respond?

Hahaha. I can't tell if you're trying to be funny or not, but it's pretty good.

I already bought the protector from him a few years ago. It broke.

I'm looking for a replacement, but you seem to be the only one who knows he's in business.

1 month later
#9866 3 months ago
Quoted from Valinor:

In the groups opinion, what are the best / must have / favorite mods for the LOTR?
I had a LOTR 3-4 years ago and sold it. Now I am looking again.

Aside from ColorDMD, I personally think this game already has it all.

One of the most complete packages ever, why would you need more?

#9872 3 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

I bought power blades for mine along with color DMD. Oh yeah and the rings that go on speakers. I do like that some people hold played their armer too. Which I would like to eventually do..

I always said that if/when I got to Valinor, I would powder coat in the cool gold speckled style that some people have posted here.

Well, I finally did reach Valinor, so I guess I should do that!

#9890 3 months ago
Quoted from Valinor:

I got impatient and I ordered the halographic pros in gold for $150. I figured I'd rebuild the flippers with the medium strength coils from Marco Pinball. I'll let you know how it goes. I've only had this machine for a couple of days and the flippers have the original coils and are lack luster at best. As near as I can figure the coils are original to the machine.

I got to Valinor recently on stock coils. After a rebuild, I found them to be great.

I'd try that first and see how it works for you.

#9893 3 months ago
Quoted from Valinor:

Your words are wise but like an excited puppy i already ordered a bunch of stuff for my "new" machine. I will try to post a few pictures when I have completed my mods. I am sure to most of the people on this thread this is old news but I'm excited.
I never should have sold the LOTR the first time but I was having medical issues and life got in the way. I've been without a pin for the last 4 years. I hope to die with this machine in my possession.
The cost of entry has shockingly risen 30% since I sold mine.

Hope things are well with your health.

Hard to enjoy anything, even something as fun as pinball, when you're unwell.

I also sold my first LOTR, and had to have it again.

It's just such a perfect game in so many ways.

2 months later
#10040 28 days ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Ah, I just found it via post 9595.

My flipper strength in long games gets weaker and weaker. Almost to the point where I’m almost slinging the ball to get up the ramp and when in the 2-ball DTR mode it doesn’t have enough power to knock the ball out of the ring. I recalled reading about these coils about a year ago and never followed through but may now place an order.

I've reached Valinor on stock coils, so there's no doubt they are strong enough.

I'd suggest a full flipper rebuild.

Sometimes we assume it's the coil, but it's all the other parts that are wearing down.

1 week later
#10065 20 days ago

Crap! This just happened.

Assuming I can just buy the plastic part and just take the front off the ring assembly and put the replacement in under the two screws?

PXL_20240308_064225622 (resized).jpgPXL_20240308_064225622 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#10129 6 days ago

Does anyone have a list of all the bulbs you need to do a full LED conversion?

Also, what LED bulbs from Comet match the warm incandescent look best. I want to keep that look as close as possible.

Thanks!

#10135 30 hours ago

I've owned 3 LOTRs, and noticed that the shooter lanes have pours and wax seems to get caked up in them.

Anyone else notice this, a d how have you been able to clean it?

PXL_20240328_002702305 (resized).jpgPXL_20240328_002702305 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WizardsCastle.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=WizardsCastle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.