IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TicTacSeth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6651 3 years ago

New to the club! Heavily routed game, so about to take it completely apart to clean it up. All switches and modes appear to work though, so excited about that!

Question: Anyone have an extra of this plastic?

Also, what have you guys done to clean the figures that are zip-tied on? Do you just re-zip-tie, or is there another way to approach it?

46DE0FC0-6407-4B3C-9E05-DAEABC4C5650 (resized).jpeg46DE0FC0-6407-4B3C-9E05-DAEABC4C5650 (resized).jpeg
#6653 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Small screw from under the plastic through the existing zip tie hole and into their feet. A dab of hot glue done right can work well also. You can lose the zip ties and the small clear plastics as well.

Super small screws then right? Needs to be done, will gladly lose the zip ties and plastic that’s holding them down!

#6657 3 years ago

Hi all, new issue with Balrog

Again, I bought a routed game a few days ago, and I’m cleaning it up and going through it. Today I went through the fuses and found a number of them were incorrect, both backbox and flippers. I also found a ground wire not connected to ground, so guessed at a place for that based on the other grounds.

Balrog worked perfect before doing all of this, now the balrog motor seems to twitch at random times. Any idea what I did wrong? Is there a fuse difference like I read in the magnet where I fuse up from a 3 to a 4A? Oh, also, the switch to the multiball isn’t working any more either. Connected in some way?

#6660 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Hi all, new issue with Balrog
Again, I bought a routed game a few days ago, and I’m cleaning it up and going through it. Today I went through the fuses and found a number of them were incorrect, both backbox and flippers. I also found a ground wire not connected to ground, so guessed at a place for that based on the other grounds.
Balrog worked perfect before doing all of this, now the balrog motor seems to twitch at random times. Any idea what I did wrong? Is there a fuse difference like I read in the magnet where I fuse up from a 3 to a 4A? Oh, also, the switch to the multiball isn’t working any more either. Connected in some way?

Solved, it was the wire got disconnected at the multiball switch, but couldn’t see it with the rubber sleeve on the two green wires. Soldered it up, now the multiball switch and Balrog work perfectly again!

#6661 3 years ago

Question for the group - one of my slingshot posts broke. Looking on Marco, I see they have star posts on the list, which surprised me. Looking at the shop out images here in Pinside, I see the guy had the thinner posts I have on mine, but swapped them out for the star posts.

What have you guys done on your games? Regular posts or star posts?

... for some reason it won’t let me attach the screen shots I took.

#6663 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/550-5059-01
I assume those are 1-1/16 inch posts. Measure what you have to confirm.

Correct, that’s what’s in them, but also on marco searching by game, in the LOTR search results had regular star posts in the results. I jumped onto Pinside and was looking through the images, in the shop out gallery I found this image (below). Someone switched it to star posts. I was reading that some of these posts have a problem with bending after getting hit repeatedly, so wondering if it’s a common thing to switch it to star posts, or if it’s something done with different production runs.

B3C1E799-DF07-48BF-A928-7BA605A857AC (resized).jpegB3C1E799-DF07-48BF-A928-7BA605A857AC (resized).jpeg
#6666 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I've had mine since 2003 and I've not seen any if my posts bend. Idk, maybe with 10k+ plays or something it could happen to someone. Either way, it doesn't matter.. Get whatever you like best. They're pocket change and you can replace them whenever you feel like it. This is not a time to over think something. There's zero "detrimental" effect to the game.

I went ahead and made the jump yesterday actually. I dropped in some new clear star posts with warm white post lights under them. Looks great, and looking at the art work, the circle around matches the diameter of the post lights perfectly. So I like what I see, though have some other things I’m doing now as well so haven’t played it that way yet. I have a post on the right side that looks like it’s taken a beating, next to the spot ring target, thinking about whether I should put one over there as well.

Hey, question, I need to buy decals for the targets and spinners, but I see there’s a mirror decal of the eye. Where does that go in the game???

#6667 3 years ago

Here’s a couple of pics with the clear star posts

AC749B53-FFAC-4882-81FC-7904EBB13AB2 (resized).jpegAC749B53-FFAC-4882-81FC-7904EBB13AB2 (resized).jpegCFBFE0D3-2945-4C5B-AADD-E3FC6560B15F (resized).jpegCFBFE0D3-2945-4C5B-AADD-E3FC6560B15F (resized).jpegF19BA4D1-0ECA-4464-912B-A74F35E11E4A (resized).jpegF19BA4D1-0ECA-4464-912B-A74F35E11E4A (resized).jpeg
#6669 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I believe the eye sticker you are talking about goes behind here...
[quoted image]

Ah, was there originally on in that gap in the art behind the tower?

#6672 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron4:

Also looking for an ARWEN plastic for LOTR if anyone has one... or happy to get a good scan as well to make my own. Anything know of anything available? (all the normal interweb sites appear to be out).

There is an alternate plastic here in the Pinside Shops that I bought since I couldn’t find one either. I think it was like $25. I just ordered it the other day and it hasn’t arrived yet, so I don’t know the quality. But it’s alternate art featuring Gollum, and the ad says it’s thicker than the original.

3 weeks later
#6727 3 years ago

$2 mod

9A36EFE4-83D0-497D-B22C-E18AD9148322 (resized).jpeg9A36EFE4-83D0-497D-B22C-E18AD9148322 (resized).jpeg
#6729 3 years ago

Hi all, I found an extra ground wire in the head behind the DMD. Can anyone get a pick of where all the grounds should go back there? Or is one supposed to be not used?

CB1BD95E-9B1C-4B27-BD31-03C67A3BA78A (resized).jpegCB1BD95E-9B1C-4B27-BD31-03C67A3BA78A (resized).jpeg
#6734 3 years ago

Another question, in addition to my ground wire question above:

My DMD has been freezing. I looked at old posts and they said replace the ribbon cable (after simply trying to reseat it). Which cable do I replace, the 14 pin? Or the larger one?

#6736 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Did you check to see if you have a ground wire going to the speakers and the DMD? Looks like the loop on the end of that wire was broken off and it could have gone to one of those locations.

I can tell it’s from the left side, it’s bundled with it. Do I just repeat what I see on the right side? Oh, the loop isn’t broken off, it was just folded back.1250FFBF-43FC-4610-93DD-12C69942BF76 (resized).jpeg1250FFBF-43FC-4610-93DD-12C69942BF76 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg43CDD6B1-F363-40BC-B524-851313DE45B9 (resized).jpeg

0E6AA1EF-A4B9-4FB4-9B87-2CC2C092CAF4 (resized).jpeg0E6AA1EF-A4B9-4FB4-9B87-2CC2C092CAF4 (resized).jpeg
#6738 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

On my LOTR, I have two ground loops connected on my DMD, one on the left side (DMD only), one on the right side (display board).

Interesting - can you snap a pic of the one on the display board?

2 weeks later
#6799 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

One part of my LOTR has bothered me since I've got the game a year ago: someone did a really ugly "fix" to the area around the flipperbuttons. This looks much better I think [quoted image][quoted image]

That looks super good! Mine was super worn, routed game, so I made these super cheap. Want to get some like yours in the future!

42244DE7-B221-4E85-9569-D18B5927CCB3 (resized).jpeg42244DE7-B221-4E85-9569-D18B5927CCB3 (resized).jpeg
#6802 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I looked up the spec on that coil, should be around 3.4 ohms. 1.6 is very low. The coil has probably overheated at some point and melted some of the internal insulation. Too low ohms will cause a fuse to blow for sure. There's is just a 3amp fuse on the flipper circuits.

Shoot - I was hoping this would help me figure out what was wrong with mine! Haha. On mine, it’s my right flipper that is blowing the fuse. It takes a few flips while playing, but eventually the coil locks on and the flipper stays up until the thing blows. I’m reading 3.3 ohms on both the left and the right. How do I read the transistor to see if it’s good? And on the coil, do I need to check the diode separately?

#6808 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Inspect the coil lugs on that flipper where the wires attach. It sounds like one is intermittently touching ground.

Have a pic of which wire is the ground wire I should watch out for?

#6810 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I mean, one lug may be touching the mounting plate.

Thanks Neal! I think you were right about it grounding out. The lugs were well away from touching anything, but as I was fishing around I noticed I could twist the coil a bit. Twisting it back and forth a bit in its casing got me thinking that the wound wiring if it’s loosened could touch the mounting plate, potentially, even though I couldn’t see it. So twisted it tight and tried it out for a few minutes. The flipper occasionally still got stuck in the up position, but it was different. Took me a few times to tell why, basically it will now release when the ball hits it. So I listened for the sound of the coil to see if it was staying energized or if it’s de-energizing properly now as I press the button. Good news is, it is de-energizing! So the good news is no more blown fuses, hopefully(?) that part may be fixed. Now I need to see mechanically why this thing is sticking. Routed game, so I’m going to check to see if it’s a mushroomed stopper next.

#6819 3 years ago

Anyone need the shire decal for the hole and surrounding area? I have an extra set. Would also trade for the set of target decals.

1 week later
#6848 3 years ago

Found these locally got $20! Now I need to decide how to install them. I saw one thread reference green post lights, but has anyone tried UV lights?
791D26BC-A077-41B1-B264-0F5189A32C25 (resized).jpeg791D26BC-A077-41B1-B264-0F5189A32C25 (resized).jpeg

#6851 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I'm partial to the green LED but it all comes down to what you like best for your taste. I'll send you a video of mine installed.

Cool, that thread mentioned the figures are UV reactive, but I don’t have any of those bulbs, and of all the pics I’ve looked at I don’t I hunk I’ve seen one with UV. I want to be sure they still look green in the end and don’t start glowing purple.

#6873 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePhysicsGuy:

Hi Everyone!
I’m 6 months into my LOTR experience – my 2nd machine ever – pretty happy! Something I’ve wanted for years….
However, my machine was definitely routed (I even didn’t get a coin tray or backglass lock + locking plate) and has some very funky issues that I’d love some feedback/info on:
(1)
My Aragon ramp (right ramp) looks to be assembled wrong: The ball has to jump up at the end of the ramp in order to make it on to the sword. It would make sense for the sword to be below the on-ramp so that the ball does not need more energy to jump up (or get scratched up more on the unpolished sword edge). Attached are some pics of what’s going on in my machine, as well as the pic from the manual, which really doesn’t help. Can anyone share pics of their setup – specifically how the fixation(s) work? (rivets, screws, nuts, etc?)
(2)
My Balrog has holes drilled in it (near the head) and my lights shine white through them – is this normal? >_<
(3)
Does anyone have a good solution for drooping acrylic supports – specifically the acrylic supporting my Ring Wraith at the top of the sword ramp is sagging and can sometimes capture the ball between the acrylic and sword. (If anyone has patterns for supports, I’d love a copy of the designs as I can laser cut acrylic.)
(4)
Anyone come up with a good solution to the issue where the ball properly falls from the paths of the dead onto the metal ramp, then bounces back out directly into the hobbit hole? The ball DOES totally miss the typical impact spot of the acrylic below the POTD, thankfully.
(5)
I rebuilt the flippers and mistakenly reversed a coil – blew a fuse and I’m betting the FET (transistor) is blown as it is shorted to ground. Already have a replacement and planning to solder it in shortly - anyone else have advice as to what to proactively check after reversing a coil?
(6)
Anyone have a design/drawing for just the dimensions of a pinblade? I want to laser-cut a thin clear acrylic protector so that I do not cause further damage to the inside of my cab.
Thanks for reading this far! ^_^
Sharing some love: I did find/buy some of the rarer switches for the Gimli VUK and Hobbit holes – the switch actuator (the part hat actually presses the switch) is the flat style and works well with your original “Y” lever metal. https://www.tedss.com/catalog/details/2027002369 (Tedss dot com - part # E63-00H) I do have a few spares I could send out. ^_^
Thanks again,
A happy EE who blows stuff up on stage for a living...[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

My Balrog also has a hole in its head! Let me know if you find a solution.

#6882 3 years ago
Quoted from JMK:

I’ve sent a PM last week to Andrew at APB Enterprises regarding his medium power LOTR coils.
Does anyone know by chance if he’s still an active member? His Pinside store is still down for maintenance. I will try to reach him via his EBay listing if he’s no longer active here.
Thanks!

I just ordered one from eBay yesterday fro APB. Check there!

1 month later
#7104 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Yes, do not, I repeat do not buy Terry's coils.
All the rest of his stuff is great but I don't know why he even still carries these POS coils that are way too powerful.

Ah crap, I thought those were the ones to get ... which ones are the right ones?

2 weeks later
#7195 2 years ago
Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

I bought a 'kit' from someone and it came with comet pinball matrix star post lights - for some reason they were purple instead of green.
(I messed up one light in the pic)
[quoted image]

Are they on all the time, or connected to other switches? I’ve been thinking about just getting star posts lights and doing it that way.

Also wondering if I should get green or if warm white keeps enough green showing up in them. But purple? That’s odd. They’re not GOTD right?

#7200 2 years ago

Yes, they are on all the time. I used a comet bulb connector and plugged it into a gi socket on the very back of the playfield. What does gotd stand for/mean?

Ha, my bad, GITD is what I was going for - Glow In The Dark

1 month later
#7309 2 years ago

I finally put in the time to fix Balrog and upgrade the right flipper to the better coil. Also put in cliffy’s, decals, new plantir glass orb, etc. Found pop bumper breaks in both the yoke and the metal backing plate, so have those on order.

Two issues though on the main things I wanted to fix haha:

1) Balrog - have it registering hits every time now, that’s good. Still can’t get it to light up though. Have the BA9 bulbs it uses, tested the wires. Maybe it’s connected to other flashers that are out???

2) right flipper - with the new coil, plays strong all game, but specifically at the Legolas ramp, it fires so hard it flies off the ramp, towards the shire. Anyone else experience this?

4DC4DDF1-8501-48A0-9758-084959D12545 (resized).jpeg4DC4DDF1-8501-48A0-9758-084959D12545 (resized).jpeg52D88E9A-D1E0-4B6E-AFBC-76483A081F2A (resized).jpeg52D88E9A-D1E0-4B6E-AFBC-76483A081F2A (resized).jpeg
#7311 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

1) Yep, Balrog Flash is in the Coil Matrix as are the Flashers
2) Common issue, solved by putting a small 2" x 2" clear piece of acrylic attached to the Path of the Dead, overhanging the Legolas ramp at it's apex. You can see the one I made in the attached pic[quoted image]

Awesome, thanks for the pic! So attached under the POTD plastic it looks like, must have raised the end of that plastic? Or did you change out the post to the playfield for a shorter one?

I also need the plastic for my POTD characters I have. Found them for $20!

#7314 2 years ago

Venting post … Balrog is so darn frustrating. Had the switch working, registering hits for a number of games … now not registering at all in game, still shows as working in the switch test. Balrog can’t be beaten!

3 weeks later
#7403 2 years ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Speaking of lighting, you will not be sorry if you do the LED conversion on the Balrog and install an Amber bulb! Niiice
[quoted image][quoted image]

I put in a red BA9 hoping the burned out bulb was the issue, but still not working … have more stuff to figure out! Haha.

#7418 2 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Does anyone make a wire harness for the POTD army figures?

Following: I also have 3 AOTD figures I need to mod up.

#7423 2 years ago

Mine just came with Cometpinball matrix star post lights all connected together with y adapters and then powered by a matrix bayonet quick connect bulb.

Did you just put them into the GI? Also what color of star post lights, green?

#7424 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Where are you guys finding the POTD figures?

I jumped at the chance when I saw someone had them in a huge LOTR collection of toys being sold as a set on FB marketplace. Got them to sell the POTD still in the box for $20!

#7433 2 years ago

Yes, plugged into gi with the Cometpinball led that has a matrix connector on it.
The kit came with Purple lights, so I kept them since I actually liked it. I had to buy more plastic spacers to raise the plastic because the matrix connectors were interfering with the ball.
It's not in the picture, but I also heated shrink wrapped the connections.
[quoted image]

Ah, so I need to get one of those platforms to put it on, huh?

2 months later
#7649 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Does anyone know if someone produces radcals or alternate cab art for LOTR?

Retro refurbs does, I was looking at it awhile back

1 week later
#7697 2 years ago
Quoted from Fred550:

lord of the ring mods nucléaire
hello i created a mod for the lord pinball machine
Now you will have a real luminous ring
It is my pleasure to share with you for the entire photo video community
The connection is made on the Franck 2Niro ring mods
I used a led strip WS2812B
the ring is made of 3D machine resin
excuse me for my english i used a translator
for the Gold color you have to find a company that masters the rendering[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Like it!

#7703 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Got my ramps brass plated by Chris and they look amazing.
Took the time while the ramps were off to clean the nooks and crannies.
Excited to show off some pics!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Whoa, that really pops!

#7711 2 years ago

Any reason my spinner is collecting POTD souls?

#7714 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Spinner is on the same row (#4) as the lower right switch on the POTD. Probably a diode problem on one of the switches on that row, likely the spinner itself.
[quoted image]

Cool, I’ll check it out. Time to look up how to test a diode haha

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TicTacSeth.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=TicTacSeth and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.