IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SDTMinSTL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3532 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it much. I wondered why the additional hardware was needed, if you could simply use clips and attach it to the existing sub in the cabinet. I'm not great with adding sound or light mods. The Polk speaker is still in the box. Maybe I'll tinker with it this weekend and try to get it attached.
Last question. Can you attach multiple pins to a single Polk external sub? I have 2 subs total. One is attached to Tron and works great. I want to add LOTR to that one, and then use the other speaker on 2 other pins. I've seen comments that you can use 2 pins on each sub, and I've seen others saying up to 4 pins on each sub is fine. Does anyone know from personal experience? Is it as simple as snaking speaker wire into the cabinets and clipping to the existing speakers? Are there drawbacks to that method?
Thanks again.

Hey Mark! I joined the club too! Just an FYI, I soldered my sub in parallel to the existing terminals in the 7 games I have hooked to subs. You can certainly hook up as many as you'd like to a single sub but I wouldn't play any more than one at a time if they are sharing. I ordered several on Black Friday, but we often have events where all machines are being played at one time. You should hear when Smaug growls on the Hobbit with a sub. It made one young friend of my sons cry. I felt bad, but the devil in me was screeching with delight.

#3546 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Any recommendations on the best speaker wire to use? Anyone notice a difference and recommend anything?
So evil making children cry with Smaug growling through a Polk subwoofer. Yet, so satisfying! Just wait until my GB screaming ghost makes an appearance...anyone else have that happen at like 3 a.m. when you are trying to play "quietly."

Once. It was quickly disabled. Lol. The wife was not amused.

#3548 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Don't get anything fancy, it's just stranded wire. You're not setting up a hifi system. Anything from 12 to 18 gauge will do you just fine. Just depends on how fancy you want the insulation to look. You can even go to your local hardware store and buy it by the foot if you didn't want an entire spool.

Exactly. I buy 14 or 16 gauge (can't recall) at Walmart in a 50 foot stool for 10 bucks. Always served me fine. It is also a cool electric blue. Haha

1 week later
#3576 5 years ago

So I am reaching out to ask for some help. I have been chasing an issue I keep having with balls becoming magnetized. I have searched and searched on pinside and I have done the following:

1.) Replaced balls. Often. I am talking three times within 100 games. Nuts.

2.) Changed ball suppliers. I am using carbon steel pinballs from different manufactures. I even looked up some posts here on pinside about Pinball Wizards version, who people claim that they have had better luck than normal not becoming magnetized.

I am getting trough jams, ball lock jams on the sword lock etc. I am at wits end (its a short drive for me). Any thoughts?

Regarding the post quoted below, you may be experiencing what I am. Any help would be appreciated fellow LOTR fans. Thanks.

Quoted from Deez:

So the ball on my game keeps getting stuck by the gate switch on the gandalf lane. Right at the top of it and just sits there. Anyone have any tips what to do with it? I can't figure why it's getting stuck there. I tried moving the pitch of the game all around but again am having a hard time visualizing why it gets stuck.

#3580 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Out of curiosity, do you have DTR set on one ball or two ball? Or is the magnetization happening even when your aren’t making it to DTR? I haven’t had this problem (DTR set to 1 ball), so can’t give much practical advice... but just thinking about any potential sources of induced magnetism. Have you tried the plexi piece in the ball trough to reduce ball contact with the trough? Not sure what you’d do for the sword though. At this point, I’m wondering if you’ve also secondarily magnetized the metal in the trough and sword slightly (thus increasing your problems). I guess you could try to put a paper clip up against the sword or trough to see if it wants to attract to it at all.
Sorry I don’t have more concrete solutions... good luck as I can imagine this would be frustrating.

Thanks for the reply. I currently reverted to one ball on DTR. Two was impossible, as when I would shoot it, the two balls would latch on to one another. I replaced the balls after this and checking for magnetism (they were). Trough is not pulling on a paper clip, so I am pretty certain it is not magnetized, or very slightly if it is. Same with the sword. The issue is the balls are, and any place there is metal, they do not want to function as they should. I bought a demagnetization console type tool and when it shows, I am going to run both the trough, the sword and the umpteen balls I have put aside that pick up paper clips like a cheap parlor trick from their magnetized state. It is mega frustrating.

Plexi is now installed in the trough. I hacked up a piece that pinbits provides for WPC games. It isn't a perfect solution but it has helped. Pinbits also makes a magnet buffer for the sword lock, but I haven't tried installing it. Bottom line, is even if these are installed, the game is affected by the magnetized balls. They just behave slightly "off" on soft shots along rails and when stacking balls on a flipper during multiball. Argh. I'll keep digging on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SDTMinSTL.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=SDTMinSTL and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.