IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobbyIRL5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7146 2 years ago

Very excited to join the group. I’ve been holding out for a very nice example and while I sort of lost hope of finding one, I got one yesterday and think it was worth the wait! Basically new out of box.

This one has a December 2003 born-on date, has a playfield full of character toys, and has a yellow level (learned that when I ordered cliffy’s), so I think that means I have an early version. Still all original incandescent lighting, beautiful game!

The only thing that does not work is the light in the Balrog. Haven’t gone through the thousands of posts yet but will, I’m sure info exists. My first move is to put Cliffy’s on to protect the playfield, and is there something I need to put on the plastic where it drops down from the path of the dead?

Anything I need to know about re: boards, mechs, or fixes needed on the early ones? And what’s the story why do the early ones come with all the characters on the playfield and the later ones don’t?

I’d normally expect a game this old to have LED replacements, but it’s actually cool to see the originals. Any suggestions on LED’s and do they strobe and need OCD boards?

Lots for me to get caught up on, any thoughts appreciated!

2777B12F-5A7B-4680-A5CA-A510AFC6CF1A (resized).jpeg2777B12F-5A7B-4680-A5CA-A510AFC6CF1A (resized).jpegC7AC67E5-5F5A-4AEA-B953-DACD23766254 (resized).jpegC7AC67E5-5F5A-4AEA-B953-DACD23766254 (resized).jpeg
#7154 2 years ago

Thank you!

Quoted from Morgoth00:

Yes you have an early one, there isn't really much of a difference besides Gandalf (somebody switched yours already) sword ramp, yellow level, and diodes. I count 5 mods on this one, but it looks in nice shape. Saruman is starting to get his rosey fingertips, but I can't see if Gandalf's tongue is sticking out yet since the Balrog is blocking, so keep that playfield waxed.

How is the sword ramp different, and do the early ones have diodes on switches (all of them) and the later ones don’t?

The person I bought this from was aware of two mods, the Palantir, and the clear piece of plastic over the left outlane. What are the other three that you see?

Quoted from Morgoth00:

As for the POTD drop down- some have made ramps, others made diverters to push it onto the habit trail. The rest just let it drop and pray it doesn't crack the Arwen plastic. There is a Gollum replacement plastic which is thicker and stronger, that is what I have and I like the look better.

Any link to the Golum plastic? That sounds like the easiest, and protects the original plastic for collectibility. Edit - found it and ordered!

Stiffener for palantir target - where does that come from?

Thanks for all the advice looks like I’ve got some work cut out for me!

#7166 2 years ago

what is the bulb in the Balrog? I took a guess from amazon prime and got a miniature version, lol.

EDIT - I ordered the 53's, which I saw on one of the websites works with the Balrog (a replacement), but I guess I have an old one that's an 89 socket. I ordered the Marco replacement harness, which I think comes with the smaller socket. Which is better, the original 89 socket with a big old LED, or the Marco socket with the smaller light socket?

2 weeks later
#7237 2 years ago

New to older Sterns with the fluorescent lightbulb. On my LOTR, every so often the light stops working, and messing with this silver thing I’m pointing at fixes it (like the connection isn’t great). What the heck is this thing and any idea why it would cause the light to stop working?

Should I get an LED backbox light? I think I’ve heard of some options, any suggestions?

Thanks!

619D484C-400C-4ECB-B37A-73C1958789FC (resized).jpeg619D484C-400C-4ECB-B37A-73C1958789FC (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 39.50
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RobbyIRL5.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=RobbyIRL5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.