IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

1) Complete FOTR MB (All eight members+Gandalf Balrog Strike),
achieve Super Jackpots for an Elf Gift at minimum
2) Complete TTT MB (Survive the Assault to the end, new level every 5
jackpots achieved), achieve Super Jackpots for an Elf Gift at minimum
3) Complete ROTK MB (All Seven Levels), achieve Super Jackpots for an
Elf Gift at minimum
4) Play all 6 Rings Modes (Completion not required)
5) Play There and Back Again (Completion not required)
6) Collect all six Elf Gifts
7) Destroy the Ring (2X Required, or ONCE if you are SUPER SUPER HOT!)
Valinor starts automatically the moment you have destroyed the ring AFTER having achieved goals 1-6 above.
Basically you should play through all the modes before starting the last of the three main multiballs. If you by mistake start all three multiballs without having played all the modes you can back out of "Destroy the Ring" by starting Gollum Multiball (which will change the ring shot from "Destroy the Ring" to "Mode Start" for the time Gollum Multiball is active). This makes sense to go for if you only have one or two modes left to play. If there are to many unplayed modes left it makes more sense to destroy the ring once, finish the modes and play all main mulitballs again.

FYI, there is a "secret" 7th Elf Gift that must be acquired before reaching Valinor.

Source: Keefer

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/valinor-awaits-but#post-2162216

It lights the "Gift" arrow itself, and it triggers a cool secret mode.

1 week later
#62 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Thanks guys. The game comes with a new spinner I can install, as well as a new plastic ring scoop. I sort of want a color DMD at some point...Haven't seen that talked about much on this game.

The ColorDMD for LOTR is probably the best mod available for this game, IMO. Absolutely stunning!

Quoted from nicoga3000:

I will purchase the upgraded coils and that post, thanks! What about the PotD mod? Is there a kit for that or can you make your own? Also, there is some wear at the back of the shire scoop from flipper huts. Is there a protector for that? Or maybe that's a fix I can do myself somehow?

Steve Groothuis at Pinball Refinery makes a nice PotD mod. I have one and can personally vouch for it's quality.

http://pinballrefinery.bravesites.com/store#!/Complete-LOTR-Pinball-PoTD-modification/p/20527694/category=4730921

FYI, it says it is "In Stock" on the above page, but "(Sold Out), Taking Pre-orders for next Production Run" on the "Sample Videos of Our Mods" page. I would contact Steve via email to determine current status.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Count me as a vote AGAINST the pinball life enhanced coils. They are not needed and make the flippers way too powerful. My LOTR came with them and I couldn't get them off fast enough. YMMV.

FWIW, I have the PBL upgraded coils AND two cooling fans under the playfield. Coil fade becomes obvious during lengthy games, even with the upgraded coils. It not only affects whether you can hit the One Ring consistently, but it also affects the accuracy of all of the other shots on the playfield. JMHO.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Exactly, you are "fixing" an issue with one shot (ring) and in turn, messing with all of the other shots.

No, the fans are preventing coil fade during long games. Coil fade (not coil strength) affects the accuracy of ALL of the shots on the table.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Per my email, I'd love to see pics of what I can expect to do to keep the coil fade down.

Sorry, man. I'm away from home right now, so I can't take pics, but my setup is very similar to the one described by MRWIZZO in the following thread, which was my original inspiration...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-flipper-cooling-fans

2 weeks later
#87 9 years ago

I finally completed There And Back Again (TABA) for the very first time this weekend, and I did it, surprisingly, with a stacked Gollum Multiball.

Now that my skills have improved, I reach TABA pretty frequently, but because it's a high-risk mode (multiple Ring shots required) and completion is not necessary to reach Valinor, I often play it conservatively just to avoid drains. So I had no idea that Gollum could be stacked with TABA, because it's a mini wizard mode mode like Destroy The Ring (DTR), and DTR can't be stacked with anything else.

Needless to say, I was surprised when I found myself shooting TABA shots with two balls in play, but it definitely made it much easier to complete.

#91 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Congrats on completing TABA! I played a game the other day and made it to TABA for the first time. Honest to god, that's the best mode in pinball that I have ever played. A+

Quoted from Snurdley:

Nice, now do it with double scoring stacked with it.

I absolutely love the music for TABA. It's one of many reasons why it's my favorite machine.

Thanks, guys. Yes, TABA is a fantastic mode, as is FOTR Multiball and DTR.

FWIW, I rarely focus on score in LOTR. All I really care about is progress towards Valinor (i.e., TABA + 3 MBs + 7 Elf Gifts + DTR). I'd much rather reach Valinor with only 200,000,000 points than post a score four times higher than that (800,000,000+).

#92 9 years ago

Well, the Elves must be smiling on me. I just completed TABA for the second time, but with a single ball this time. WooHoo!

1 week later
#97 9 years ago

Have you tested this by hand with the glass off? Is the magnet grabbing the ball? Are you activating the spinner switch before the ball hits the ring?

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Complete all 6 ring modes, light mode start, shoot ring -> TABA time!

Actually, all you have to do is START the 6 ring modes. Completion of the modes is not necessary.

To complete TABA itself, you have to hit the ring ramp a 1st time, hit one of the flashing lanes a 1st time, hit the ring ramp a 2nd time, hit a 2nd flashing lane, hit the ring ramp a 3rd time, hit a 3rd flashing lane... etc.... until you hit the last flashing lane, and then hit the ring ramp one last time. TABA complete.

#102 9 years ago

If you complete TABA, you also get an Elf Gift, so there is some upside besides just points, but completion of the mode is not required to progress to Valinor.

1 week later
#103 8 years ago

I finally broke the 1:00 minute barrier on DTR a few weeks ago, but forgot to post a pic!

016.JPG016.JPG

1 week later
#105 8 years ago

Pacman, are the Fellowship characters' LEDs truly too bright, or are they simply ghosting or flickering and just becoming a distraction?

If they're just too bright, any color other than white would reduce the perceived brightness. Green, red, orange, and yellow are already used throughout the game, so you could pick one of those colors, or mix and match. It's really just your personal preference.

If they're ghosting/flickering, you should consider installing Herg's LED-OCD mod, which not only eliminates ghosting/flickering, but can also be tuned to modify the brightness of individual bulbs or groups of bulbs across the board (e.g., only inserts, only GI, or all).

IMO, anyone who installs LEDs in LOTR should add the LED-OCD mod, because that addition is a marked improvement in this particular game.

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

What's the LED OCD mode?

http://ledocd.com/

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm betting you get there in the next 6 months. This game really hones a style of play after a while that transitions to the sole goal tunnel vision. Always concentrate on loading up souls, and shooting the left orbit with every ball coming from the right inlane. In every "almost" game I have had, it's always ROTK that is the stopper. I'm sure you know this by now anyway.

Thanks. I hope so, but sometimes it seems so far away.

1 week later
#141 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Has anyone put together an LED list for this game? Mine should be here next Friday.

Doh! Check your emails. I sent you one on March 11th.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

- I seem to remember some sort of protector made for the ball as it falls off the POTD?

If you hope to reach Valinor some day, don't buy any of the various mods that divert the ball from the POTD straight to the left ramp habitrail. You'll want the bonus souls available from the Shire in order to qualify ROTK as soon as possible. I would recommend just buying a plastic protector from Little Shop of Games for the Arwen plastic beneath the POTD and a Cliffy protector for the Shire, and hope that more balls drop into the Shire instead of onto the habitrail.

Can't wait to hear your first gameplay review.

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Also yes Razor - just searched my email and found it! I don't remember if you have LED OCD or not, but do you notice any ghosting with that list? I'm tempted to just send that list off and order your exact list, haha.

Yes, I have Herg's LED OCD kit, and it makes a world of difference. There is no ghosting or flickering on my machine. I placed my LED order with Comet, so if you use that list, Art will recognize it, and it will give you everything you need.

#175 8 years ago
Quoted from tu71586:

Ok, I'm a complete noob, so be gentle. I'm just looking to be pointed in the right direction, don't need complete hand holding (I think).

I recently bought a LOTR that came with a couple of mods -- one installed but not working (I think) and another one that is not installed. I was looking for help on where to start with installing a POTD mod that hasn't been installed yet. The machine also has a Palantir mod, but I don't think it's working properly as it doesn't light up. I've searched youtube and the pinside forums but haven't found any video instructions on installing these mods. I'm just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction?

Welcome to the LOTR owners group.

I installed both of those mods on my LOTR, as well as many other mods, so I can help you out. I'm about 45 minutes west of you, so you could drop by my place and actually see them installed.

If you've got the POTD mod from Pinball Refinery, I can walk you through the instruction sheets and photos sent by Steve Groothuis, and if you bring your mini-playfield parts over, I can help you do some of the prep work to help make your installation task easier. I installed both mods just a few months ago, so the installation processes are pretty fresh on my mind.

PM me if you're interested.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

700 total plays on a routed LE seems good to me.

Do you know what software revision is loaded on the ROM?

#188 8 years ago

Yes, updating the CPU ROM resets the number of plays. Just make sure you update to v10.02. That's the latest CPU code, so it contains all of the feature adjustments and bug fixes throughout the life of the game.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

The LED board for the rings is missing, so that's going to set me back ~$100, but it is what it is, ha. That information was NOT disclosed when I bought the game from Classicpinball.

Ugh! Sorry to hear that.

#192 8 years ago

Well, that's good! Glad to see he's taking care of you. Looking forward to seeing the video(s)!

1 month later
#252 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I'm back! And I'm NEVER leaving again.
image.jpg
image_1.jpg
image_2.jpg
image_3.jpg

Looks like a beauty. Congrats!

#262 8 years ago

I don't even attempt Witchking anymore. Because of the difficulty, there's just too much risk for too little reward, once you factor in the probability of actually completing the mode. I just activate it en route to TABA and then keep working towards other goals.

7 months later
#562 8 years ago

Sometimes the Gollum VUK takes multiple attempts because of a simply alignment issue. Loosen the nut holding the wireform above it in place, and align it to exactly center over the VUK by visually looking down from directly above the VUK. Once it's perfectly aligned, the VUK will usually perform well. If it's still misfiring, it's probably a coil or sleeve issue.

1 week later
#567 8 years ago
Quoted from albummydavis:

Thanks for the tips. I just picked up a beautiful HUO w/ only 500+ plays. Has barely been touched. This is a huge help.
How many Cliffy's are there for this game?
This has the original ROMs. Were there updates (this is my first Stern, so the whole process is new to me)?
Are there any specific plastics that are unusually vulnerable and need protectors?
Any other critical mods (I don't care about appearance-just want to keep the game real nice).
Thanks

There are 3 Cliffy protectors for LOTR (Orthanc Tower VUK, Gimli VUK, and Shire VUK).

http://www.passionforpinball.com/lotr.htm

The latest CPU software version, released in October 2005, is v10.00 (Standard Edition) or 10.02 (Limited Edition).

The Arwen plastic is particularly vulnerable to breakage from the impact of balls dropping from the Paths of the Dead mini-playfield.

The game has lots of mods available, for both protection and aesthetics. There are too many to list here, but a quick search of Pinside will produce many threads dedicated to LOTR mods.

3 weeks later
#598 8 years ago
Quoted from Bantam:

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with instructions for Pinball Refinery's POTD mod? Thank you

PM your email address to Steve at Pinball Refinery (HemiOrange09), and he will send you the installation instructions.

www.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-lotr-potd-mod-complete-kits-fading-leds-in-figures-by-hemi/page/5#post-2785497

#600 8 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Owned the game for a million years and today was the first time to there and back what a rush I did well but the nerves did get to me.

"There and Back Again" is awesome, isn't it?

I think you'll enjoy this video...

1 month later
#666 7 years ago
Quoted from Propaganda:

Ever notice the LOTR haters always bring up long ball times?

LOTR has longer-than-average ball times. That's a fact, and you don't have to be a hater to acknowledge this.

Obviously, you can set the game up to shorten average ball times (i.e., open the outlanes, increase the difficulty settings), but the playfield layout, with the Shire "safety net" that catches many out-of-control balls on the left hand side of the playfield and safely delivers them to the left flipper, is going to leave you with longer ball times on average than, say, IM.

2 weeks later
#763 7 years ago
Quoted from Phbooms:

Does anybody know where to get a Gimli figure thats the right size compared to other character figures?

I think this is the one you want...

Lord of the Rings - LOTR - Battle Scale Figures - Armies of Middle-Earth - Fighting Fellowship - with Fighting Gimli, Fighting Boromir and Fighting Legolas - 2" / 5cm

Here's one on eBay...

ebay.com link: LORD OF THE RINGS FIGHTING FELLOWSHIP ARMIES OF MIDDLE EARTH 3 PACK

4 weeks later
#797 7 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

Sunlight LEDs are great with some warm whites. You don't want the game to look yellow, but rather give it a mix to slightly tint it towards yellow without overdoing it. I don't have a ton of color in my pinball lighting (I agree that many look like a skittles bag exploded).

Both "incandescent" lights and "warm white" on the color temperature chart definitely have a slight yellow tint.

correlated_color_temperature_(resized).jpgcorrelated_color_temperature_(resized).jpg

#805 7 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

I agree that the modes are fun, but the freaking Witch King, I've never killed that bastard. I feel like I'll reach Valinor before I ever kill that damn Witch King.

You and me both, my friend. Sometimes I just time out that mode, due to the difficulty. I've beaten RotK MB, TABA, and DTR many times, but I've never beaten the Witch King.

1 week later
#827 7 years ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

I've heard it's pretty common, but the Palantir target on my LOTR is bent to the side from repeated hits. I can bend it back to center no problem, but it won't last a couple of games before it's bent to the side again. Anything I can put on the target to keep it still?

I used to worry about this, straightening mine a couple of times, but I now think having it leaning slightly to the left makes it a little easier to hit the Gimli VUK shot instead of just passing straight through to the Boromir pop bumpers. If you intentionally hit the right side of the target, especially back-handing from the right flipper, it kills some of the momentum, limiting pass-throughs.

#830 7 years ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

Anybody have Cliffy protectors installed on their LOTR? I bought them but I haven't installed them yet. My machine's a HUO and I try to clean and wax the playfield frequently. I did put a plastic protector from Pinbits on the Gimli saucer and the Shire VUK area.
They really do seem to be a pain to install -- at least for me because I haven't removed much off my playfield before (only unscrewed the ramp and the plastic shield above the left outlane to install the Arwen protector.

I've got 4 Cliffy protectors on mine: Gimli, Orthanc, Shire, and under the Blue Nub of Death (Cliffy's newest). They're not too hard to install. If you need any installation help, I can guide you.

Edit: Link to more info on the latest LOTR Cliffy protector... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-thanks-for-the-fix-cliffy

#832 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Mezel mods sells a target splint that really helped mine.

Just out of curiosity, which one did you get? The large 2-piece splint, or the small 1-piece splint?

http://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints?variant=923513721

Note: There is a "Store Owner" comment below the very bottom user review that says, "A quick clarification on this post- the Stern splints do not currently work with the Palintir LOTR targets. We have this one on our to do list!"

#834 7 years ago

FYI, I just ran across an official LOTR Playfield Shot Map. I don't recall seeing it before, so I thought I should share it here, in case any fellow owners haven't seen it.

There's not any new information here. Most LOTR owners probably know this stuff by heart. Nevertheless, it is a good graphical reference, and it might be helpful to new owners.

Click each PDF attachment for clear, full-size views.

Stern_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_755-5180-00-SM1.pdfStern_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_755-5180-00-SM1.pdf
Stern_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_755-5180-00-SM2.pdfStern_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_755-5180-00-SM2.pdf

#844 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I'm getting a coil malfunction on coil #21 that drops the white post that holds the balls on the sword. Coil works but when you get two or three balls up there it gets stuck and won't release unless you nudge the game to take pressure off that plunger. Any ideas or adjustments to fix this?

If the coil itself is malfunctioning, you may need to replace it, but let me step back and ask another diagnostic question first. Have you visually confirmed that the coil is not dropping the post, or are you just assuming this because the ball is not releasing?

Sometimes a ball held in the sword ramp ball lock won't release because it's magnetized and sticking to the ball behind it. Some pinballs are prone to magnetization, and being held by the ring magnet for minutes at a time during Destroy The Ring can magnetize them. The problem often manifests itself at the sword ramp ball lock when more than one ball is locked. If the balls are magnetized, replace them with new ones specifically made for use in games with magnets.

#849 7 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Yes it is a slight magnetism of the balls. Thank you very much. Anybody know where to get some that won't magnatize?

Quoted from TimeBandit:

Search Pinball Life for Oooh Shiny. Their website is down for summer break though at the moment.

These are the ones you want to buy (c/o the Internet Archive Wayback Machine):

-- Premium Ultra-Gloss Pinball (Product ID : ooohhh_shiiiiny) -- $1.50 ea.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160420230854/http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1325

Like TimeBandit said, the regular website it down, so you'll have to wait until Terry and Margaret return from their summer vacation before you can place an order.

Premium_Ultra-Gloss_Pinball_(resized).jpgPremium_Ultra-Gloss_Pinball_(resized).jpg

#857 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

You need Carbon Core balls for games with magnets. The "Ooh Shiny" balls may be Chrome Steel, which is NOT what you want. I've always bought my CC balls from this guy on eBay, and never had a problem:
ebay.com link » Ten 1 1 16 Inch Mirror Finish Carbon Steel Replacement Pinball Machine Balls

Better look at the PinballLife product description again.

1 week later
#895 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Yeah, that's why I was asking, to see if it was worth fiddling with the VUK plunger. Thanks for verifying that it's not common. I'm guessing it or the arc is slightly off alignment. I played a few games yesterday and saw it bouncing back rather than staying in the arc once in a while. I'll do as Neal_W suggests and do some more manual tests and try to make some adjustments. Will follow-up when I've done that.

That wireform over the Gollum VUK has a LOT of room for adjustment. I've seen several machines have problems with the VUK getting the ball up onto the wireform due to simple misalignment, causing the VUK to fire 3-4 times on each ball before the ball transfers to the wireform.

The first thing I would recommend is to remove the glass, loosen the nuts holding the wireform above the VUK, and manually move the centerline of the receiving scoop directly above the centerline of the plunger on the VUK, verifying the final position visually from directly above the VUK. You might be surprised how far off the two centerlines are. When everything is centered, simply tighten up the nuts and test the VUK manually with the glass still off.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

#909 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Is the ball going into the Shire from POTD an original part of the design of the layout, or was it meant to always be returned to the habittrail?

The original design allows the ball to go to either: (a) the Shire and then to the habitrail via the Shire VUK, or (b) directly to the habitrail. Eventually, all balls that reach the POTD will end up on the habitrail feeding the left flipper.

Quoted from pinmister:

If it was originally designed to go to the habittrail (which I thought it was because on certain LOTR runs the POTD has a post diverter from factory

To the best of my knowledge, no diverters from the POTD to the habitrail were ever installed on factory LOTRs. Those were all aftermarket mods installed by owners. Most people that installed the diverters simply didn't want to suffer through the gameplay delays of the POTD miniplayfield, and they were willing to live with fewer Souls gained by the additional delay in the Shire in exchange for a shorter POTD cycle time.

#922 7 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

The seller is keeping the translite(it has some of the actors autographs on it). Looks like 4500 will bring it home and I will need to pick up a translite.

I have a spare translite (used) that I can sell. If you decide to buy that machine, I'm sure we can work out a reasonable price.

3 weeks later
#952 7 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Boromir is earned by hitti g the pops 20 times. He says"if this is the will of the council gondor will see it done". It some time gets drowned out if your other shots or the pops are still firing

This scene is the source for that particular call-out (~3:36 mark), as well as many others in the game:

#959 7 years ago

After a rather frustrating night of playing over 2 hours straight without much success, everything came together in one magical game, which finished shortly after midnight. Destroyed the Ring twice, started There And Back Again, and obtained 4 Elf Gifts.

It felt good to leave this score up on the Color DMD for the rest of the night.

IMG_2136 (resized).JPGIMG_2136 (resized).JPG

IMG_2127 (resized).JPGIMG_2127 (resized).JPG

#963 7 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

So this was maybe your fourth game of the night then?
Great looking machine, signed translite is very cool. Did you ever have an incandescent flasher in the Ringwraith socket? My game came with an LED, and I am definitely an LED fan, but you miss out on some really cool effects with an LED flasher there. An incadescent bulb pulses during the Ringwraith mode and a few other times. I've got a red one in mine.

Thanks! I *wish* it was just four games. More like 8-10 frustratingly short ones, and then that epic final.

I did have all incandescents at first (including in the Ringwraith flasher), but installed Comet LEDs throughout and added Herg's LED OCD board to control the inserts. I'm not sure if it also controls the flashers? They are part of the lamp matrix, so it's possible?

Anyway, now that you've mentioned the incandescent pulsing during the Ringwraith mode, I want to replace that LED flasher with the old incandescent, remove the glass, and test out the Ringwraith mode to watch for any differences. Frankly, when a mode is active, I'm usually so focused on shot-making that I don't really notice things in my peripheral vision, especially in the upper right quarter of the playfield. Now that you've mentioned it, I want to check it out.

Thanks again.

1 week later
#979 7 years ago

Gomez's game design on LOTR is fairly nuanced, with several design elements having multiple purposes.

For example, the Orthanc Tower VUK is featured in at least 3 different aspects of gameplay. You can hit it directly with the plunger shot to collect the Tower skill shot. You can hit it from a right inlane feed to the right flipper using the left orbit to collect Souls from the Paths of the Dead mini playfield. And you also *have* to hit it repeatedly to complete the War of the Ents mode, either directly when the diverter gate on the inner loop opens, or indirectly via the the right or left orbits when the rear riser post is activated by the orbit switches.

Similarly, the Gollum's Cave VUK is also featured in multiple aspects of gameplay. You can start Gollum multiball there with a direct hit. You can also collect Gimli there when qualifying Fellowship of the Rings multiball. You also *have* to hit that shot at the beginning of the Escape the Ringwraiths mode before the inserts for all the other main shots will light. Finally, you also collect Extra Balls and Specials there when those features are activated. Nevertheless, despite this shot's importance in overall gameplay, it happens to be one of the most difficult shots to hit on the playfield. Balls can get there either from the flippers, or from the pop bumpers just above it, but direct shots from the flippers can easily pass over the saucer and enter the pop bumpers, which often results in a perfectly aimed shot not actually qualifying as a hit. Consequently, it is one of the hardest shots to master in the long quest towards Valinor.

#990 7 years ago

LOTR Valinor Run - Keith Elwin

Brew a pot of coffee, settle in for a spell, and watch a world champion pinball player easily tame this beast wizard mode!

#994 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

It's a pinball machine, it wears. Dung already stated why the design is what it is.
Not sure what you're saving it for anyway as you can't see it on your machine any more. You installed a monstrous ugly metal thingy there that I assume you will never remove again...

Quoted from pinmister:

I am not going to install a "monstrous ugly metal thingy" because there will be no need with the diverter installed.

Quoted from someoneelse:

I was under the impression the picture you posted (with the protector) was your game.

Nope, that's my game. I posted that photo of my progress on Gifts of the Elves after a monster game I played two weeks ago. See Post #959 above.

BTW, I love that "monstrous ugly metal thingy". It's one of the best playfield protectors that Cliff Rinear has ever made.

Here are a couple of before and after shots for comparison...

Before:

IMG_5446.JPGIMG_5446.JPG

After:

IMG_2217.JPGIMG_2217.JPG

#1005 7 years ago

It's called Consolation Balrog, and it was added to the code after the game was released, because some players complained that Balrog did not come out frequently enough during normal gameplay. It can be disabled in LOTR Feature Adjustment #34 or through Install Directors Cut.

There is actually an old thread about this topic here on Pinside...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-ownersplayers-disable-consolationbash-balrog

LOTR_Feature_Adjustment_34_Consolation_Balrog.jpgLOTR_Feature_Adjustment_34_Consolation_Balrog.jpg

Install_Directors_Cut.jpgInstall_Directors_Cut.jpg

#1016 7 years ago
Quoted from Animal:

Is the reason mode start isnt lighting because Ive already initiated one of these multiball? Usually its two towers...

Quoted from scottslash:

you cannot start a mode while any of the 3 movie multiballs are running.

Correct, but Gollum multiball (not one of the 3 movie MBs) *will* allow you to stack a ring mode after the MB starts.

Animal, try starting Gollum MB before you start a ring mode, and you will increase your chances to complete the mode.

#1018 7 years ago

For some reason, when the game was released, it only had characters for 6 of the 9 Fellowship members on the playfield (i.e., Pippen, Merry, Sam, Aragorn, Frodo, and Gandalf), but was missing Legolas (left ramp), Gimli (right VUK), and Boromir (pop bumpers). So I bought a LOTR "Armies of the Dead" collectibles pack containing the missing characters on eBay, and I added them to my playfield this week.
Legolas (left ramp)
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Gimli (right VUK)
image.jpegimage.jpeg
Boromir (pop bumpers)
image.jpegimage.jpeg
I also relocated my Sparky's Micro Display Mod to the right side of the playfield for better visibility.
image.jpegimage.jpeg

Added over 8 years ago: Oops! I misspoke earlier. The collectible pack that I purchased on eBay is called "Lord of the Rings, Armies of Middle Earth, Soldiers & Scenes, Fighting Fellowship".

#1019 7 years ago

Here is a wider shot showing the new characters in the upper playfield.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#1029 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I looked and there is only one set and the seller is asking $100-Wow
Does anyone have an extra set of Armies of the Dead for sale or they look like they could possibly be made with a decent 3D Printer?

Oops! I misspoke earlier. The collectible pack that I purchased on eBay is the "Lord of the Rings, Armies of Middle Earth, Fighting Fellowship" pack.

1 week later
#1052 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I just joined the club. How can I tell what code I'm running? My pin was built Nov 2006 and I believe it says A10.
Also my pin seems to start with a lot of the rings already lit, I assume this is because the menu setting is to easy?

Depends on whether the game is set for Fast Boot or Slow Boot. If it's set for Fast Boot, hold the R Flipper button in while turning the game on. After about 3-4 seconds, the software versions should show on the display. If it's set for Slow Boot, there is no need to hold the R Flipper button in during start up. This information will display when the game is turned on.

A10.00 is the latest code release for the Standard Edition. A10.02 is the latest code release for the Limited Edition. (A10.02 can also be run on the Standard Edition to enable shaker motor functionality, if you have the corresponding PAL chip. Otherwise, there is no difference between A10.00 and A10.02.)

On Factory Settings, the three Elf Rings should be lit at the start, allowing you to begin a ring mode with the first successful shot up the Ring Ramp.

#1053 7 years ago

PS - Read this. It's not completely up to date, but it is a great starting point.

http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Helping a friend LED his LOTR...What looks best on the inserts for a classy look? Color match or warm white?....For GIs keep it warm or add color? Just dont want it to look like a clown vomited on pf

On my game, I went with Comet's 2-SMD, frosted, bullet-top LEDs for all of the inserts. Almost all of the inserts were color-matched except yellow, where I used warm white LEDs, per Art's suggestion. I used a single RGB color-changing LED for the Palantir insert, specifically to draw more attention to that important shot.

On the GI bulbs, I used warm white 2-SMD, frosted, bullet-top LEDs.

Those were just my personal choices. Most of the lighting decisions really boil down to personal preference, and those decisions can be easily changed or reversed if your friend decides to sell the game later.

Most importantly, though, if you install LEDs in LOTR, you should seriously consider installing an LED-OCD kit (made by Herg here on Pinside) to smooth out the lighting transitions and fades to make those features equivalent to incandescent bulbs. On this particular game, it is one of the most important mods to consider, if you decide to go with LED bulbs.

#1059 7 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

yep. He has the ocd board. I have heard alot of people put color changer on palantir

That's good. It'll actually save him some money on the bulbs, too. Herg recommends using basic, non-premium bulbs with his board, since they allow the board to provide better lighting control. Premium, non-ghosting bulbs are not necessary or desired with the LED-OCD board.

#1063 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yes. Make sure your spinner is aligned properly. Could be slowing the ball down.

Agreed. They get bent very easily and need to be straightened.

LOTR spinners get beat to hell on the bottom edge and should be considered a replaceable item. I've had my game for 2 years, and I've replaced the spinner twice. If mere straightening doesn't work, I recommend just buying a replacement.

#1076 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Uhm, on mine they never break - still the original ones in there.

I've had to replace my Shire VUK switch twice in the last 2 years. I've only had to adjust my Golum VUK switch in the same period, but haven't had to replace it.

#1077 7 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

What flipper coils do you guys have in yours? Mine are the same number as the PBL LOTR coils and they throw the ball a little too fast. Just curious.

I have the stronger coils from Pinball Life.

If you feel those are too strong, there is another option available on eBay. It's a medium-powered coil sold by Andrew Barney (APB_Enterprises here on Pinside).

ebay.com link: New Stern Pinball Medium Power Coil Lord of the Rings Guns Roses sleeve

#1080 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

My Gollum up kicker works about 70% of the time (sometimes takes 2-3 tries), what's the adjustment to improve performance?

Most likely the wireform scoop above the VUK is slightly off-center. There is a huge amount of play in its position, so it's easy to get off-center during a shop job. Just loosen the lock nuts holding the wireform down near the VUK, and center it by eye, looking directly down from above the VUK. Once it's centered up/down and right/left, tighten the lock nuts, and the problem will probably go away.

#1086 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

thanks, I will do. I think the R flipper shot feels more like it's a backhand shot. I mean I can make it but it has to be *just there* no room for error at all.

Rai, if your new-to-you game has seen a lot of plays over the years, you may simply need to rebuild your flipper mechs. That was the first thing I did after buying my game. The cost of flipper rebuild kits are very reasonable.

#1090 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I've never done this is there a rebuild kit or do I buy new flipper mechanism?

The following parts will allow you to completely rebuild both flipper mechs relatively inexpensively...

Flipper rebuild kit (1 kit):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SFLKIT

Flipper bat bushings (2 each, not included in the above kit):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5070-00

For background reference, you should read and bookmark the following invaluable thread from Vid1900 to see what can go wrong with each component of the flipper mechanism, and how rebuilding the mechs with fresh replacement parts and properly gapping the EOS switches can help improve flipper performance.

Vid's Guide to Upgrading & Rebuilding Flippers:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#1113 7 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Strapping on fans? Really? Worst case last resort "problem-solving" IMO.

I disagree. Cooling fans on the coils work perfectly and were actually used by Keith Elwin in his recent epic quest to Valinor.

#1115 7 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

I'll be joining the Fellowship in a few weeks and have been looking for mods to get. The Palantir Eye mod looks really cool but I'm not sure if Jay is going to be making them again. Anyone have a spare to sell or know if these will be made again?

Jay's making another run...

Quoted from jrobinso99:

Hi all,
I apologize but I'm currently completely out of stock on the Palantir. I've been working through some supply issues this summer but those are now resolved and I'm back in production. I expect to have the next batch ready in the next few months. I will post here when they are ready!
-Jay

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-projected-eye-palantir-mod/page/9#post-3305315

1 week later
#1124 7 years ago

SE or LE? Diode or no diode? Photos?

#1145 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The transistors in question are q15 and q16. Do you have a manual?

Here you go... The two transitors are marked with blue arrows inside the red circle. Click twice to maximize zoom for more detail.

LOTR_IO_Power_Driver_Board.jpgLOTR_IO_Power_Driver_Board.jpg

2 months later
#1261 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

LCD in mine and it looks awesome. Haven't seen an LED version in LOTR, but based on other impressions of LED displays, the brightness would be overpowered for the dark theme of this game. Can't imagine it would look good... but would love to hear from someone who has tried.

If you want to use the Hi-res or Scan modes, you'll need the LCD display. If you are going to stick with Dots, then you can use the LED display.

The video below shows what the LCD looks like in Scan mode...

2 weeks later
#1298 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Anyone have any suggestions for LEDs on LOTR?
I usually use the Comet frosted 2-LED bulbs in warm white. I like these LEDs bacause they are just a little brighter than incandescent and the warm white is not "too" white. I also like the Comet parts because I think they are reasonably priced and good quality. That being said, I tried some out on the inserts in front of the sword ramp and they are *barely* brighter than the stock bulbs. Except for the white insert. Plenty bright there.
I also don't want to go totally overboard either.
Oh, and are the non-ghosting LEDs good enough to take care of the ghosting problem on this game or is the OCDLED board actually needed.
Thanks.

I used Comet's 2-SMD warm white bulbs for the GI, and Comet's 2-SMD color-matching bulbs for the inserts (except for the yellow inserts, where I substituted warm white instead). I'm very pleased with the result.

I also installed the LED-OCD board, which makes a huge difference for the fading and transitions of the light show on this particular pin. It's definitely worth the investment. Herg rocks!

2 weeks later
#1344 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

I have to build a new Balrog harness.. Or repair it..

The Balrog harness is easy enough to rebuild (I've done it before), but this is another cheap alternative.

ebay.com link: itm

#1358 7 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

If anyone has the installation instructions for this ring flasher mod, please let me know. Thanks
http://www.pinballrefinery.com/store#!/LOTR-Ring-Flasher-mod/p/39395948/category=4730921

Contact Hemiorange09 (Steve), who created that mod, via the Private Message system on Pinside. He can send you the installation instructions.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/hemiorange09

#1361 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

1N4004 is the part number for coil diodes.

Correct. Here are a couple of links...

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/1N4004 (contains detailed specs and diagrams)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=173 (cheaper source)

#1380 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You have to spell lock for a ball to lock. When the ball goes through the inlanes or outlanes it will light the letter if it is not lit already. You can shift the lights to an unlit one as the ball is approaching by pressing the flipper buttons. If lock is not lit then a ball goes through the lock when the ramp shot is made.

The green inlane and outlane inserts spell "KEEP", not "LOCK", but they do enable the sword lock on the right ramp.

#1381 7 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

banded side on the 20 v....right? If I remember correctly....current flows against the arrow on the schematic.

Current flows in the direction of the arrow. The diode prevents backflow.

IMG_0562 (resized).PNGIMG_0562 (resized).PNG
IMG_0563 (resized).PNGIMG_0563 (resized).PNG

#1391 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If you are referring to the saucer in the back right, use drop dead foam. It takes some trial and error to get the foam in the right places for that scoop. It will probably take multiple pieces to place it right.

Agreed.

Quoted from DCFAN:

For the Barad-Dur tower scoop, I had bounce-outs as well. I bought a piece of Drop-dead foam from pinball life. It has a peel and stick back side. I just cut a couple small pieces of that and placed it in the back of the scoop beyond the upkicker and that seems to solve the problem.
The good thing about that is that I did not have to do any permanent modification to the game.

I can't find this product currently on the Pinball Life website, but Pinbits still sells it.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=131&zenid=de5a2898b03521f0687bb0d733f1bfb0

3 weeks later
#1449 7 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Was tired of looking at the plain clear plastic overhanging the return on the left ramp so I decided to design my own mod. I thought it was strange the most common poem from the books isn't anywhere to be found on the game (other than in script form). Simple, but fills the space nicely.

Looks great! That poem does scroll across the DMD during attract mode, but I don't think it is anywhere else in the game.

3 months later
#1638 6 years ago

Just put a thin piece of opaque diffuser film between the LED ring board and the playfield. Or use a blank piece of white paper, for a quick and cheap fix.

1 month later
#1789 6 years ago

LCD and DotXL is my personal preference for LOTR.

1 month later
#1981 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

For me, most people's signatures look like ugly stains, covering the original artwork.

Some are more careful than others when they leave their mark.

George_Gomez_Game_Designer.jpgGeorge_Gomez_Game_Designer.jpg

4 months later
#2530 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Can anyone suggest a good LOTR video tutorial for this noob?

Here ya go.

2 months later
#2812 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Speaking of drains, when you don't quite make the sword ramp, and it rolls back down, should it be heading between the flippers for a drain? Mine very often does.

It’s not a bug. It’s a feature!

1 week later
#2897 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

TTT doesn’t constantly replenish the balls for me like FoTR. Maybe I’m missing something. I need to re-read the rules.

Lighting the Palantir and then collecting it via the Mystery award will usually (but not always) add-a-ball in the three movie multiballs. (To light Palantir, shoot the left orbit to reach the Barad-dur tower on the upper right corner of the playfield, and to collect Palantir, simply hit the white target below the globe next to the right VUK, a/k/a Gollum's Cave.)

1 week later
#2964 5 years ago

Yeah, ditch the lightning flippers before you tweak the flipper adjustment settings away from the standard settings in the software. This is a terrible application for lightning flippers, because the ring shot requires extra distance (crossing the entire length of the playfield) and elevation (launching up the ring ramp) to hit a target in the back of the cabinet. Even with upgraded coils, the shorter flipper length will not allow enough force near the end of the flipper to hit the ring shot reliably.

#2968 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Next question, my Balrog was working, then stopped, I opened it up and jiggled the bulb and it seemed to work. (It's a replaced 5 SMD LED type #44) and I closed it up and it was great for like 1 game. Then it stopped again. I'm wanting to test with a different bulb to see if its the wires or the bulb but not sure if there's anything on LOTR that I can use to test as I think this is a special 12v LED where the others are lower power?

The copper conductor wires inside the Balrog wiring harness often break inside their plastic insulators, due to: (a) pinching from the cable ties on the vertical mounting post next to the Balrog, and (b) the repetitive twisting force on the harness from the rotation of the Balrog mech. This is difficult to detect visually, even if you remove the heat-shrink tubing on the outside of the wiring harness, because you cannot see the broken conductor wires inside their plastic insulators. The best way to troubleshoot this type of failure is to unplug the wiring harness connector beneath the playfield and test for continuity on each wire with a multimeter while twisting the wires to replicate the flex encountered during the mech's rotation.

If this proves to be the problem, replacement Balrog wiring harnesses are readily available...

ebay.com link: Lord Of The Rings Lotr Pinball New Balrog Wiring Harness

4 weeks later
#3086 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

Where can I get this cliffy protector in the Pippin lane under the blue rubber? It is posted in the LOTR gallery, I suppose I can try messaging the guy who posted it but didnt want to creep him about a picture he posted 5 years ago.
Almost all the machines I see for sale have serious wear underneath that blue rubber bracket including my own and this would stop the issue from happening or getting worse.

That gallery photo is of my machine.

More information on that particular Cliffy protector can be found on the thread below, which includes Cliff’s email address for special requests:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-thanks-for-the-fix-cliffy

2 months later
#3239 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

But I need to beat that time fair and square or it stands (no matter how much it irritates me). I'll knock that time out of there the old fashioned way, because then I can lord it over his head!

What was his posted DTR time that you are struggling to beat?

2 weeks later
#3299 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Quick question, is the light bulb in Balrog supposed to be a 89 bulb? I just order a new bulb socket, but it's bigger than the one that I am replacing, which used a 44 bulb.
So one of them isn't right. Which one?

Quoted from Lamprey:

No it's a 44/47 socket. It's just a 12v bulb though, so they are harder to get in that size/voltage.
The socket part number is: 077-5003-00-80
Here is one bulb that fits the 44/47 and is 12 volts:
https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/5smd12vba9s.htm

Quoted from Damien:

So this is wrong?[quoted image]

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

It's correct for some machines. Early build LOTR's (like mine) have the 89 size base. Stern swapped this out because bulbs were blowing rather quickly with the bashing the mech gets.

See Service Bulletin #148 (Balrog LED Module Installation) for more details:

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb148.pdf

#3302 5 years ago

Those two parts don’t look the same, but the latter one (Pinball Life) appears to be the same mini bayonet socket used in the out-of-stock Balrog LED Kit at Marco Specialties:

LORD OF THE RINGS (STERN) BALROG LED KIT (#502-5022-00)

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5022-00

That is the exact kit part number referenced in the Service Bulletin, and the bayonet socket appears to match the socket photos at the top and bottom of the Service Bulletin.

Note: You will need to bend the 2 solder lugs and the screw lug for the light assembly to fit inside the Balrog bash toy, as you can see more clearly in the bottom right photo on the Service Bulletin, showing it actually mounted inside the Balrog. Also don’t forget to add the insulators on the solder lugs to prevent electrical shorts.

#3330 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Looking for some tips - I'm about to swap out the RAM for NVRAM but looking at the existing chip on the board I don't see any notch. Is it marked underneath at all? Any other way to determine which way round to install the new chip?

Line it up like this...

6412CE0E-41F9-43B5-9A8B-0EEDFE8AB6E2 (resized).jpeg6412CE0E-41F9-43B5-9A8B-0EEDFE8AB6E2 (resized).jpeg
2 months later
#3451 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Dude try it, it's freakin awesome. It's way better than just shooting the ball through the ring. When that first ball is just hanging there in mid air waiting for you to bash it through........ well, it's the ultimate pinball effect and adrenaline rush. I've been playing for 40 years and I think the 2 ball DTR is one of the best shot's ever.
Try it and come back here and let us know what ya think.
QSS

FWIW, Keith agrees.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Keith, do you play with 1-ball or 2-ball settings for DTR?

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

2-ball, the only way to play, hence it is under the director's cut install as well. 1-ball was added much later due to unreliability in the field.

3 months later
#4035 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

I just bought a LOTR, and I seem to be missing a piece that covers the LED bulb pictured below. Does anyone have one or know where I can get one?
[quoted image]

Bulb Caps/Condoms from Pinball Life

https://www.pinballlife.com/bulb-capscondoms.html

#4041 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Those are too small for a flasher, they are 555 size.

8977DEDB-86FA-43C4-8A2F-31A18308805A.jpeg8977DEDB-86FA-43C4-8A2F-31A18308805A.jpeg
1 month later
#4247 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Gimli bounce backs totally destroy the flow of the game...especially since it can sometimes take 3-4 tries. Sigh.

It could be an alignment issue. See the following post I made on this thread several years ago...

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Sometimes the Gollum VUK takes multiple attempts because of a simply alignment issue. Loosen the nut holding the wireform above it in place, and align it to exactly center over the VUK by visually looking down from directly above the VUK. Once it's perfectly aligned, the VUK will usually perform well.

1 month later
#4494 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Last night I collected all gifts of the elves for 2nd time ever. The machine went into what I believe to be 4 iterations of ring frenzy (based of audio and pf lighting). Multi ballad on each iteration. Shot the ring made the completion audio and started another one. Is that normal?
And when those modes stopped, as the ball came out of the pops I heard Gimly say, "You got double points!" First time I've ever heard that as well.

I think that reward for completing all of the Elven Gifts is called Super Ring Frenzy Multiball. Maybe someone else can confirm?

3 weeks later
#4590 4 years ago
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Razorbak86.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=Razorbak86 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.