IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3388 5 years ago

It’s back! I finally found an original, one-owner LOTR to add to my collection for the 2nd (and last) time. I traded one away earlier this year and regretted it. This pin is a masterpiece. This one has 120 plays on it and 100% original bulbs, rubber (getting a bit faded and stiff) and zero mods. I’m starting from scratch, but it’s going to be fun! To Valinor this time?

12DCF9B2-CB9C-49EF-9F33-EE4511622CD4 (resized).jpeg12DCF9B2-CB9C-49EF-9F33-EE4511622CD4 (resized).jpeg16D23B84-5839-4626-B190-FC715B001438 (resized).jpeg16D23B84-5839-4626-B190-FC715B001438 (resized).jpegA2832184-D4D3-4361-B205-CC81CF05C578 (resized).jpegA2832184-D4D3-4361-B205-CC81CF05C578 (resized).jpegC363392D-FD36-4BCE-9BED-3798025B012C (resized).jpegC363392D-FD36-4BCE-9BED-3798025B012C (resized).jpegDA9A9C69-5E7A-42D2-9DE0-0C7567DD6922 (resized).jpegDA9A9C69-5E7A-42D2-9DE0-0C7567DD6922 (resized).jpeg
#3393 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I have mine sitting next to POTC too. Two very different games that compliment each other in home collection.[quoted image]

Nice toppers! That’s one area I’m really lacking. I have only 1 topper (WOZ) and the only other one I had on Tron I broke.

I agree those two compliment each other. People say POTC is easy, but not if the angle is steep and the rules are set to hard! Then it’s short and punishing.

1 month later
#3481 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm absolutely crestfallen. I had my best game of LOTR yet. Completed everything I needed and then started DTR to get to Valinor.
I had been there once before and my nerves got the best of me. Last time I hit one or two of the required shots and drained down the side. This time I took a little pause and tried to just chill.
Made the four required shots and then hit the first ring shot. Just one shot left and it was over. I must have shot that ring ramp 8 to 10 times. Every time it just seemed to fall short. The magnet just wasn't grabbing it.
Eventually my luck ran out and the ball drained. I just flopped back on the couch and facepalmed.
Not sure if my game is suffering from a weak magnet or the usual flipper coil weakness after a long game, but this one really hurt!
think I'm going to take a little break from pinball after this one. One shot away... One f**** shot haha!!!

I hear you. I've destroyed the ring only 3 times in a couple hundred plays. I've had SO many games where I complete the 3 multiballs and then qualify DTR. I usually get very nervous trying to hit those 4 shots, I rarely get to shoot for the ring. Very exhausting pin, such an adrenaline rush and intense pressure during DTR. My wife doesn't care for LOTR (theme), but she played it today with me and she got to DTR for the first time ever for her. She hit 3 of the 4 shots, leaving only the tricky left ramp to complete. She hit the ramp 3 times, but not hard enough to make it all the way up and back around again. It was awesome to see how close she was to destroying the ring for the first time. One more ramp, then 2 ring shots and she was there! Next time, destroy that ring! It's crazy what happens when you do!

#3494 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

If anyone doesn't have the APB coils, please do yourself a favor and pick them up. It really helps when hitting the left ramp or center ramp during normal play but especially helps on those long playing sessions (with LOTR ball times, we all know how often that happens). Definitely the best $30 spent on a mod for your game.

I picked up a pair of these about 2 weeks ago. I read good things about them, and I used to have a different LOTR months ago that had them. Only slightly more powerful, but just enough to make the shots a bit crisper and the ring shot more confident. They don't seem to tire during long play either.

Question - can you give me a basic install 101 on how to replace these? I assume simply remove the original coils by de-soldering and then replace these and solder the wires back on? I'm new to soldering, just bought an iron and station. But I would like the stronger flipper coils if I can install them myself.

Any tips are appreciated!

2 weeks later
#3526 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Which one? There are I think four of them now. The “official” Pinsound one is here:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/216-lotr_ost/
Here is another:
http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/206-lord_of_the_rings_original/
Hawkeye also has his above, and there’s one other from a member here, as I recall. I am trying Hawkeye’s tomorrow, but for now use whichever one starts with the arrow sound effect on launch. I THINK that is the Pinside one I am forgetting, but I might be wrong. It’s not the official one linked above, it’s one of the othet two. MIGHT be the second link. Either way, just download them all and load them on the USB - switching back and forth is simple, especially if you buy Pinsounds headphone jack and can set the volume externally.
Pinsound on this machine is a game-changer, especially with new speakers. It goes from the game’s biggest weakness to a spledor of magnificence.

I just bought an external Polk subwoofer for my LOTR, and the Pinnovators hardware to attach it to the game. Do I need the updated files discussed above? I don't have a problem with the stock callouts and music, because I'm not really familiar with the movies. That being said, do I need the other sound packages, and if I try it and don't like it, how easy is it to change it back?

Also, is there a youtube video showing how to properly attach an external speaker to LOTR? I don't want to mess it up.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#3530 5 years ago

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it much. I wondered why the additional hardware was needed, if you could simply use clips and attach it to the existing sub in the cabinet. I'm not great with adding sound or light mods. The Polk speaker is still in the box. Maybe I'll tinker with it this weekend and try to get it attached.

Last question. Can you attach multiple pins to a single Polk external sub? I have 2 subs total. One is attached to Tron and works great. I want to add LOTR to that one, and then use the other speaker on 2 other pins. I've seen comments that you can use 2 pins on each sub, and I've seen others saying up to 4 pins on each sub is fine. Does anyone know from personal experience? Is it as simple as snaking speaker wire into the cabinets and clipping to the existing speakers? Are there drawbacks to that method?

Thanks again.

#3545 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

Hey Mark! I joined the club too! Just an FYI, I soldered my sub in parallel to the existing terminals in the 7 games I have hooked to subs. You can certainly hook up as many as you'd like to a single sub but I wouldn't play any more than one at a time if they are sharing. I ordered several on Black Friday, but we often have events where all machines are being played at one time. You should hear when Smaug growls on the Hobbit with a sub. It made one young friend of my sons cry. I felt bad, but the devil in me was screeching with delight.

Any recommendations on the best speaker wire to use? Anyone notice a difference and recommend anything?

So evil making children cry with Smaug growling through a Polk subwoofer. Yet, so satisfying! Just wait until my GB screaming ghost makes an appearance...anyone else have that happen at like 3 a.m. when you are trying to play "quietly."

1 week later
#3586 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

So I got my LotR less than a month ago and I've gone buck-wild. I know this is a lifetime keeper so I just said screw it and went all out.
ColorDMD
Shaker Motor (with necessary chip replacements)
Anypin DMD+
AotD figures
Cliffy's
LED Conversion w/ LED OCD
Target decals
Titan silicone conversion
Shire art
Decorated plastic ramp fix
Flipper bat toppers
Speaker acrylics
Full playfield protector (awaiting shipment)
Pinball Pro subwoofer (was the only mod it came with)
I also have a Gandalf the White on Shadowfax sitting in a box but to be honest I kind of like the Gandalf the Grey that's in it. Plus, it makes more sense from the movie perspective to have him near the Balrog Is there anything I missed that I should do? lol.
In addition to that I did a 75%ish teardown and vaccuumed/cleaned it out well. When I get the protector I'll do almost a 100% teardown and clean the playfield of all residue.
The machine showed up in good shape but dirty; it now looks beautiful. Everything works 100% and the only issue I have is a very rare restart which I think is from adding the Anypin DMD+ so I'll just reseat it.
Love this game.

Did you order the awesome Shire protector slide from the path of the dead that allows the ball to variably drop either into the Shire or the wireform? It’s only available from a company called RedshiftLED in Australia. I just ordered one about 2 months ago, and it arrived in about 2 weeks and is awesome. The other mods push the ball onto the wireform always, thus depriving you of some extra souls, as the rules intended.

I’ve attached a picture below of the slide. The other mod I didn’t see you mention is the clear acrylic piece with the famous “one ring” quote emblazed on it. It looks great. I also ordered 2 or 3 different colored (gold, black, white)one true rings and place them on the playfield in different areas. They are cheap on EBay, under $10.

Just some ideas, since you are going all out!

544A6F70-6BFB-4D17-9E7A-48BFFF8F28C0 (resized).png544A6F70-6BFB-4D17-9E7A-48BFFF8F28C0 (resized).pngF60F9037-FB85-4F71-BEDC-2F6D7C507A39 (resized).pngF60F9037-FB85-4F71-BEDC-2F6D7C507A39 (resized).png
4 months later
#4372 4 years ago

Aahhhhh! After 6 months of trying and failing to destroy the ring on my second LOTR pin I've owned, I finally destroyed the ring tonight, in 1:21. In fact, I finished all 3 multiballs again, and destroyed the ring a second time in the same game. I got to There and Back Again for the first time ever. I have never even seen it before tonight. Pretty cool! I won't describe it, just in case others are seeking their first trip... I owned a LOTR before, and destroyed the ring 2 or 3 times with that machine. However, it had those medium strength replacement flippers that are slightly stronger than the factory Stern flippers are. My new pin has the factory flippers. They are a challenge to hit the ring cleanly sometimes. I did buy the medium strength replacements coils, but I haven't installed them yet. I am torn between enjoying the challenge, and wanting crisp shots that cleanly hit the ring, which is probably what was intended. I would say it's a 50/50 proposition on my pin to make it up the ramp and into the ring. Definitely takes concentration and a clean shot. Anyway, love this game! Can't wait to destroy the ring again, and to finish TABA, and to get to Valinor. I need to complete the Gifts from the Elves to do that, and finish all the modes? I got to TABA by starting all the modes, but I don't think I completed them all. Must I gather all the Gifts too? I only got 3 gifts tonight.

IMG_9090 (1) (resized).jpgIMG_9090 (1) (resized).jpg
#4374 4 years ago

They look like this, and I’ve seen them advertised for sale on Pinside in the past. Hopefully it’s ok to post this. I found this one for sale on the website that rhymes with B-Flay! I can’t remember who offered it here. I will check my receipt...

03B18262-3C3A-42DF-BF1E-C04344A0E2DA (resized).jpeg03B18262-3C3A-42DF-BF1E-C04344A0E2DA (resized).jpeg
#4376 4 years ago

I agree, it’s strange. My LOTR is a 2004 original too. My flippers feel adequate, but not strong. I can hit the ring shot if it’s clean, but I did notice that by Destroy The Ring time, they seemed a bit tired. My previous LOTR had more pep, but I hear broken plastics are the trade off, if you get carried away.

1 week later
#4410 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

In my opinion, this game in coding perfection!!!

Every time I play this game I am reminded how perfect the code and rules are. You have so much to do, but it never feels like chopping wood at all. I defeated Balrog last night in the FOTR multiball for the first time. I always started the 3 MBs to get to DTR, but I never finished them. Now I’m trying to collect all the gifts from the elves, which requires a lot of skill and a little luck! They just don’t make them like LOTR anymore.

#4412 4 years ago

Great advice/strategy for getting to Valinor. I'm still far from achieving that, but I did finally destroy the ring (twice in the same game) on my current LOTR machine. I'm getting better at sharpshooting the various shots, so I have far less wasted activity. With only 3 balls, and extra ball settings on difficult, there is little room for error. I finally collected 3 gifts recently, my best so far. I have a long ways to go, which is a good thing!

Part of me hopes I never get to Valinor...it's the journey that is just so compelling.

1 month later
#4574 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

I bought these:
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lord-rings-path-pinball-sideblades/
SillyOldElf look just as good (maybe better), but many times they are listed as "Out of Stock." I ordered from Retro Refurbs on 4/24/19, they were shipped 5/3/19, and I received them 5/11/19.
I can confirm that the Retro Refurbs were also difficult to install on LOTR. The electrical connections from backbox to playfield are not as simple to remove (although I assume they are possible) as on a modern Stern. My wife helped me, but we did not take the entire LOTR playfield out. I'm pretty sure that we started at the front and worked toward the back, with playfield starting in vertical position. (It may be that it is easier to start at back - I'm unsure.) We went in sections, removing only several inches of the backing at a time. To get around the playfield in the vertical position we kept the backing on for about the last 1/3 (from back to vertical playfield), and bent/curled the decal between playfield and outer wall. Wish we had recorded the video.
For my Stern Star Wars, I removed all electrical connections, had someone help me take out the whole playfield, and then put inner art blades on:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/install-inner-side-art-on-stern-pro-spike-system#post-4950253
-Adam
Obligatory pictures:
[quoted image][quoted image]

It’s true that both Retro Refurbs and Silly Old Elf are thinner than Tilt Graphics, and harder to work with. I have a pretty tried and true method of applying blades without removing (just lifting it up all the way) the playfield.

PM me if I can help. I’m sure lots of people have great methods that work for them too.

1 month later
#4805 4 years ago

I’m having an issue with my diverter by Orthanc not always closing all the way. It’s not failing fully, so the fuse and connections should be ok, it just struggles to close or open all the way like something is too tight? Anyone see this before?

#4812 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Inside the cover of the LOTR manual is the adjustment steps to get the diverter to open and close properly.
page2:
https://www.ipdb.org/files/4858/Stern_2003_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_English_Manual_complete.pdf

Thanks!

1 month later
#5222 4 years ago

I'm trying to install one of those Fire Ring LED mods, where you put an LED ring inside the plastic ring. It looks amazing, but the install instructions either suck, or I'm just terrible at this. They include a video, but it's sped up several times, and you cannot see what he is doing behind the ring to remove it. That's where I'm stuck. The written instructions simply say "remove the ring..." and then it moves on with an image of the ring removed. As if we have all removed our rings many times before. I have never removed mine, and I'm not sure which screws to loosen to free it! Plus, it's very difficult to see behind the ring without completely removing the playfield.

Has anyone installed this "simple to install" mod?

I would appreciate a simple description of how to release and remove the ring, then I feel I can probably finish the job.

Thanks very much!

#5223 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I'm trying to install one of those Fire Ring LED mods, where you put an LED ring inside the plastic ring. It looks amazing, but the install instructions either suck, or I'm just terrible at this. They include a video, but it's sped up several times, and you cannot see what he is doing behind the ring to remove it. That's where I'm stuck. The written instructions simply say "remove the ring..." and then it moves on with an image of the ring removed. As if we have all removed our rings many times before. I have never removed mine, and I'm not sure which screws to loosen to free it! Plus, it's very difficult to see behind the ring without completely removing the playfield.
Has anyone installed this "simple to install" mod?
I would appreciate a simple description of how to release and remove the ring, then I feel I can probably finish the job.
Thanks very much!

Just remove the 2 huge silver screws holding the 2 gold brackets on the back, you goofball! I figured it out. Kindly disregard, it's late.

3 weeks later
#5354 4 years ago

Incredible time. Under 20 seconds??? I have a new goal!

2 months later
#5605 4 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

I expect this to be an easy answer. I have a replacement spinner, but wondered the best way to install it. I am used to spinners that are on posts that you can unscrew, etc, but with LOTR, the spinner is on the ring ramp. Do you just bend it gently to get the new one in?

Agreed, I did the same when I replaced the spinner on my first LOTR. Just gently, but firmly, bend to fit into place. Also, I dig your Strikes and Spares backglass icon! I just bought a really nice one and it should arrive any day now. That backglass cracks me up!

#5621 4 years ago

Got to There and Back Again on Friday for only the second time! Love the unique music for that mode. Failed to complete it, but that’s what makes this epic pin one of the best ever. The code is simply great. Valinor is always ahead.

2 weeks later
#5696 4 years ago

Ugh. So frustrating. I started all 3 movie multiballs and then Destroy the Ring began! I’m pumped. Ready to finish this in 15-20 seconds. My best is 1:15, nothing too exciting. I make the 4 shots right away without a miss, very rare for me, AND I hit the ring shot the first time so “Gollum has the ring, help me!” Starts. Just 10-15 seconds had gone by. I just need to hit the ramp ONE MORE TIME to destroy it, possibly at around 20 seconds which I have heard people do. So ready to post my time! I missed the first 2 shots, but the third was perfect! Straight through! Only, nothing happened. “Help me!” cried poor Frodo. A second shot thru the ring. Nothing. Now 30-45 seconds have passed. Then a minute. Now I’m past caring. 2-3 minutes and a third shot thru the ring. Nothing. Wtf. Grrrrrr. I guess my optos are needing cleaning or adjusting? I keep this pin very clean. So frustrating. Like the game is laughing at me.

#5701 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

change the switch at the right behind the ring. This one fails and creates this issue..

Thanks very much you guys. I will try adjusting it first, or swapping it out if necessary. Mine seems to miss exactly when I need it to finish DTR. Last night was my chance at 30 sec or under.

#5703 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Thats the only time its used.

That makes sense. I’ll adjust it. It does register, just not consistently.

Thx.

1 week later
#5736 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I just went on a Valinor run but came up just shy.
The game is set to Factory, 3 ball, Replay with opened outlanes. There are NO scoring tier specific extra balls set on this game, only the ones that could be earned throughout the game.
I earned all of the gifts, destroyed the ring twice, completed all 3 multiballs and started There and Back Again. The last thing that you need to do is destroy the ring after everything else is completed. I had to start all 3 multiballs again to get back to Destroy the Ring. I had two started of the multiballs and was about to start the third when my last ball drained. SIGH! So close! I feel like I just gave birth.
[quoted image]

Wow.

1 week later
#5765 4 years ago

The medium coils are just right. I had them on my first LOTR and the ring shot was very reliable. I traded that one, but later found a minty, stock original with the stock coils. They work fine, and I like the challenge of having to hit the center ramp clean to make it thru, and they do seem a bit weaker later in long games. I bought medium coils again as backups. I may go back to them someday. I think many people like them.

1 week later
#5784 4 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

+1
I have one and it’s worth every penny. Awesome mod.

I agree. I bought that Arwen “slide” and it’s awesome.

#5816 4 years ago

That’s a truly unique pin now with those new decals. Now get a color DMD in that bad boy!

LOTR still ahead of Nedry’s Island in the finals? No offense to JP, I had one and liked it. But it has not quite earned its place amongst the legends like LOTR has. I traded my first LOTR and immediately knew I made a mistake. Found a mint/original owner and this one will never leave. I had JP for just 3 months. It’s a fun game, but for me was too thin on JP content.

2 weeks later
#6016 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Cliff makes a protector for the area under the blue rubber. He sells it as part of his kit and it worked well for me on my last game.

I raised mine up and placed a narrow piece of Mylar under the blue cushion and metal bracket holding it. I actually looked at a nice LOTR a couple years ago, and his game was nice except it had an obvious gouge in the playfield under that metal bracket and blue cushion. I was really surprised it was so chewed up. It was a deal breaker for me, because it was pretty obvious. So I recently protected mine a little bit.

1 week later
#6064 3 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I've never understood this 200 plays from new thing. If I had unboxed a pin it would have that many in a week.

I agree, seems crazy. I found my current LOTR in late 2018. The owner was active in pinball mostly in 2004-2005. He bought nib LOTR, TSPP, Ripley’s and a couple others. He opened them, and then played a few games every month or two. Eventually, he ignored them. LOTR had 124 plays, Ripley’s had 58. He’s a super nice guy. Sold me LOTR to finance a Hobbit, but refused to part with Ripley’s or TSPP, and I tried! I put more than 124 plays on it the first year I owned it.

#6073 3 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Do you really think the batteries had never been swapped in that time? That’s fourteen years!

I assume he changed them, with the power on. But, I’ve seen pins with batteries older than 10 years that hadn’t gone bad. His pins were definitely mint, with no evidence of any play. A funny side story, I just bought a Simpson’s toy for my TSPP from 2003 off EBay. It was still new, inside a sealed box. I opened it and pushed the button and Moe talked! Scared the crap out of me. I was sure the batteries were dead. It had 2 or 3 AA, regular alkaline batteries. 17 years in a box and worked fine. Weird! Others I’ve seen green and leaking after 3-4 years. Who knows.

2 months later
#6286 3 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Quick question regarding Balrog - how high does he normally sit above the playfield? I just tightened the base plate of his mech under the playfield which was loose but I wanted to check to see what a normal height for him is above the playfield. I want to make sure he doesn't rub or scratch. If this is a little low any advice on how to tighten him so he sits higher? Everything feels pretty snug but I feel he's got a slight lean. Just wanted to check if this is looking normal.
Thanks![quoted image]

That looks about right to me. My pin is still pretty stock, with few adjustments. My Balrog sits in the same position, with the line where the ball hits him at the same height as the rubber rings to the left and right of him.

3 weeks later
#6344 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Working my way back into the club (used to have one, sold it years ago, and now getting another one). Question for you all: getting the plastic for the Path of the Dead mod with figures, but I need the hardware to install it. Any idea what size screws, posts, etc. I would need? Your help would be greatly appreciated!

I know I bought mine in a kit, with the posts and screws that came with the acrylic piece. Not sure if that’s not available anymore. Also, search for Army of the Dead figures on EBay, if you need the translucent dead dudes for your upper level. They look great with a green LED strip under them from Comet.

9 months later
#7255 2 years ago

I finally added an LED OCD board to my LOTR and it really makes a huge difference on this pin. Next up is an external power supply, for the several mods I’ve installed. Only missing a shaker, which I understand isn’t as simple on this game?

7E8EBA1E-4F1F-4856-BE51-75451D89E1A1 (resized).png7E8EBA1E-4F1F-4856-BE51-75451D89E1A1 (resized).png
#7258 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

Pinshaker's shaker is easy to add. No need to change any chips.

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered one. It’s easy to install? How do you designate which switches trigger the shaker? Any switches that you recommend? I’m thinking the Balrog, for sure, and the Path of the Dead switches. And hits to the right tower (Barad-Dur?). And maybe somehow setting it up to trigger when the ring is destroyed. Probably only those, as I prefer the shaker to be infrequent and subtle. It’s nice this shaker has a dial to adjust the shaker intensity. Thanks again.

1 week later
#7291 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

I wish there was some sort of voice call out to let me know how many souls I'm collecting....

Do you mean the total you’ve collected so far? So you don’t have to look up and see it on the DMD?

#7294 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Sorry, it was sarcasm. My way of saying "I get it Gimli, 500 more!"

Oh, gotcha!

4 weeks later
#7381 2 years ago

Brass looks great on LOTR. Even just new brass bolts adds a nice, fairly cheap touch.

72D27024-B859-469E-86A3-81186AFF80B4 (resized).png72D27024-B859-469E-86A3-81186AFF80B4 (resized).png760E2209-2C2B-479B-B169-118C6D358232 (resized).png760E2209-2C2B-479B-B169-118C6D358232 (resized).png
#7399 2 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Question for the group,
When this game came out, did Stern utilize LEDs for their games, or were they using and selling the game with incandescent bulbs? My guess is that they were still at incandescents, but wanted to check the groups response. Just curious.
Anyone using and preferring JUST warm white LEDs as opposed to colored LED (for top of pf or at inserts)? Anyone using and preferring incandescents? Again, just curious. Recently picked up a game and has colored LEDs in various spots and I'm thinking I'd like to tone it down a fair amount.
Thx!

Many LOTR owners prefer to keep the original appearance of incandescent bulbs. I chose to switch to LEDs, but LOTR is a game where you really need an OCD board to prevent flickering and strobing of the LEDs. I’m happy with the brighter (I only go as bright as sunlight white) look and less heat and power involved with the LEDs. Just me tho!

C72221B8-DD7C-4C26-B228-44AB22B89DA6 (resized).pngC72221B8-DD7C-4C26-B228-44AB22B89DA6 (resized).png
#7425 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Coil dust is literally microscopic pieces of metal flying off the metal plungers on the flippers, kickers, and pop bumpers. It then gets rolled all over the place by the ball eventually creating trails.
Any other dirt, dust, or environmental gunk is generally from outside the game when the glass has been removed.
When you replace these mechs after years of use they can be completely blackened with the dust. The plungers end up totally malformed and everything has to get replaced as cleaning isn't enough to bring them mechs up to a high level of function again.
Waxing can help make cleaning easier as the coil dust has a harder time sticking to the surface since there's less static. It's still there but a quick wipe of a cloth will pick most of it up and leave a slick playfield behind.[quoted image]

Are those baby Bally flipper bats on your LOTR? You must really like a challenge! That’s quite a gap!

#7430 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

That's funny I didn't mean to link that picture to that quote, but the PinSide editor saves previous edits and stuff, forget it had been linked!
I was really bored with 30 minute games and thought I would give my league mates a laugh and a challenge. Thought it would just be a gimmick but have kept it for three years now! The game is set to an EM like angle to help a bit, and the tilt bob is very loose, so you can toss the cabinet a bit but still potentially tilt. You also get nine balls, one for each of the Fellowship. The code is also set to the absolute easiest settings.
A typical game if you are halfway decent will get you to the Destroy the Ring mode. No one has been able to destroy it yet but I've come within one shot multiple times now. Also the satisfaction of beating one of the multiball modes or ring scenes is immense, the first time myself or anyone destroys the ring is gonna be epic!

I’ve had a few good games on LOTR and destroyed the ring 3-4 times. It’s an awesome mode! After that, you still have There and Back Again and Valinor. Lots to work toward!

#7432 2 years ago
Quoted from SKORR_Arcades:

Yes, plugged into gi with the Cometpinball led that has a matrix connector on it.
The kit came with Purple lights, so I kept them since I actually liked it. I had to buy more plastic spacers to raise the plastic because the matrix connectors were interfering with the ball.
It's not in the picture, but I also heated shrink wrapped the connections.
[quoted image]

I like the purple. I added some spooky trees to mine. I just need a fog machine for atmosphere.

8511F7D2-97B8-41E8-8B55-C98B5B6DCB55 (resized).png8511F7D2-97B8-41E8-8B55-C98B5B6DCB55 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#7546 2 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I was lucky enough to be able to have Mike Chestnutt brass on mine. He did great work.

His work is legendary. That brass is spectacular! Chris Royalty is doing great work now, keeping Mike’s love of pinball bling alive. Fossmin could contact Chris about doing something like this.

2 weeks later
#7593 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

Thanks! Will give it a shot.

Yep, I think he’s right. Also double check your return spring. Sometimes they aren’t tight enough and don’t snap the flipper back into position. I had that happen on my BK2k. I put a new tighter spring on and fixed it.

2 weeks later
#7616 2 years ago

I owned an LE when it first came out, and the only reason I sold it was that I was fairly new to the hobby and wanted to try new games out.
It's one of the only games I've sold and missed enough to want to get it back, and now that I have it, I'm enjoying it immensely.
I'll never understand the people that get caught on theme and artwork. LOTR artwork is nothing to write home about, yet, it's one of the greatest games of all time. And loads of games out there have themes that are a dream for me (TMNT, GOT, etc) but the games themselves are dog shit.
I play pinball because I like... Pinball! If it happens to have a theme a like, double plus good! If not, I'll enjoy it just the same!

I did the same thing. I bought a DILE in 2018 and loved it. It’s a beautiful pin, one of the best looking ever, for me. The theme is what confused people early on, but it’s really another disaster game. I think Lawlor wanted to be clever with the double meaning of “dialed in,” (dialing in a pinball machine and a reference to the smart phone which is a key toy in the game) and it puzzled some people. But I agree it’s a fantastic game, with lots of things to do and exceptional shot geometry and flow. I sold my first one too quickly and 2 years later I bought another DILE nib. This time it stuck around a year and I played it more. I sold it again, but I’ll probably own one again someday. My first pin I ever bought was WOZ, which is still my pick for best art package overall, but DI is JJP’s best game so far imho, except maybe POTC, which I haven’t owned or played enough to judge. I’ll never sell my LOTR. It’s still my vote for Stern’s best pin yet.

1 week later
#7643 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Marco is now selling these and I was surprised to see it. Got it for posterity, I guess...

I had to do it…cheese topping!

3116A041-70A0-42A8-B43D-D6964F41AB66 (resized).jpeg3116A041-70A0-42A8-B43D-D6964F41AB66 (resized).jpeg

#7653 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Those are awesome, anyone have experience putting these on? Just from looking at the head it looks like there are two screws that are exposed, wonder if the decals just go over them.

I've installed RadCals, which require removal of the bolts from the head and cabinet to apply. They look beautiful, and I'm very happy with the result, but it's a much more involved process to do it right than some suggest. I have spare decals for a couple pins also, and they do not have pre-cut holes for the bolts, so I believe you must remove the bolts to install decals also, and it's a good idea to sand and paint the cabinet before applying new decals or RadCals. There are several videos demonstrating both methods.

#7661 2 years ago

Changing it up a little…

000C68A9-7704-4EFE-8273-01A34F5CB871 (resized).jpeg000C68A9-7704-4EFE-8273-01A34F5CB871 (resized).jpegF4C08CF2-581F-43C1-B387-7E383384AE2B (resized).jpegF4C08CF2-581F-43C1-B387-7E383384AE2B (resized).jpeg
#7690 2 years ago

I’ve collected 4 gifts (which I greatly appreciated) and destroyed the ring, but I’ve never completed all 3 MBs or earned all 6 gifts. My journey to Valinor continues. The greatest adventure, is what lies ahead.

2 weeks later
#7728 2 years ago

I have the original Stern coils on my 2004 LOTR, but I bought a backup set of the medium strength coils just in case back in 2018. Haven’t needed them as my stock coils produce fairly strong shots, and I can backhand the right ramp. I do have to make the center ramp shot cleanly to avoid rejects, but I like the challenge. Each pin might be slightly different, with different pitch, playfield condition and other factors.

#7730 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

If you play for 2hrs straight, you might notice them fading over time.

Yep, it’s rare I put more than a game or two on it at a time, so they don’t get heated up often. But I do notice a slight dip in strength at the end of a long game.

1 month later
#7810 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Do they sell specific stern whitestar shakers?

Pinshakers offers a specific shaker you can buy for Stern SAM and Whitestar that comes complete with everything you need (so you don’t have to convert anything) and allows you to assign specific triggers, like the Balrog or POTD or whatever switches you like. I bought one a few weeks ago but haven’t gotten to that yet. I will install mine soon and share my results. Others I’m sure have this shaker too.

786B56D6-D57E-4D53-8AA0-384D996306F0 (resized).jpeg786B56D6-D57E-4D53-8AA0-384D996306F0 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#7882 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

I just ordered the APB coils... I have had the PBL coils in forever and nothing has broken yet, but I want the game to have another good twenty years with me.
The PBL coils are so strong they feel opulent, I will have to relearn the game I bet.

I’ve had the original, stock coils in mine for years, and they do make the center ring shot a slight challenge after a long game, but I can still make the shot if it’s a clean shot up the middle. I did buy the medium coils as backups if mine ever become a problem. So far, so good. My problem is me, I always take forever to make the 4 shots during destroy the ring mode. My best is like 1:30…not quick. I’ve made the 4 shots in under 30 seconds a few times, but then I struggle to hit the ring. Gotta play better!

1 month later
#7928 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Haven't tried to adjust that center ramp yet, it probably IS a bit off. I'll mess with that tomorrow.

I’m confused so forgive me, but does your center ramp not have a flap on it? Nobody else mentioned it, so maybe there is a reason, but I’m confused as to what I’m seeing. I can’t imagine that ramp would function properly with no flap, but maybe some people go without it.

#7930 2 years ago

I guess I didn't notice that either. It would certainly appear that it does not. Maybe it was just missed when the brass ramp was installed? I mean, it looks flush so I guess it transitions okay..but it certainly doesn't appear to have what I would typically expect to see from a ramp flap. I suppose the argument could be made that it would take away from / clash against the brass ramp? I dunno.

Yep, I figured your ramp was replaced with a brassed ramp and without the flap. It just took me a minute to notice it. If the transition is smooth maybe you don’t need it, but if you get any hop there, it could effect the spinner function. Sounds like a minor adjustment to allow the spinner to spin more freely will help it return to resting position.

#7932 2 years ago

When I removed the entire spinner and held it by the wires I could tell it wanted to balance on its side. I twisted them, probably the wrong way, and it rested vertically. I probably need to just remove it again and see if twisting the wires a different direction reverses which side faces 'down'. It does spin now, I'm just used to ripping Williams and classic Stern spinners and by comparison this one just seems....lame.

I bet you get it balanced correctly. If it remains stubborn, I would order the new spinner and decal set for $15 or so mentioned above. I know I replaced mine on my first LOTR and had success.

#7936 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

then have to reach in, grab the bottom rear of the playfield, and lift it up over the hump... while my other hand is on the other end of the playfield, to keep it from sliding the rest of the way in uncontrolled.

Yep, that’s the way I do it, although I’ve seen many operators just get a running start and jump that hump. I lift the back of the playfield while holding the apron. They do sell alternate rails that I believe eliminate the hump, but I haven’t tried them myself. I saw them on display at an expo.

1 week later
#7991 2 years ago

Bought a fugly one to get me by for a bit. Lol
Also grabbed some OG rails so I can powdercoat my lollipops gold whenever I feel like forking over another hundo for a lockbar without a hole in it.
[quoted image]

I really like the ring shooters. Mine has the red acrylic. I don’t know if these are still available, but they look nice and shoot smooth.

D6614ED8-13BA-4254-A0BE-51E2CEE334AF (resized).pngD6614ED8-13BA-4254-A0BE-51E2CEE334AF (resized).png
2 weeks later
#8046 2 years ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Just joined the club yesterday. I’m excited to get this thing cleaned up. It’s actually got leds installed so I’m going to try and put incandescents back in, it seems to be the consensus in here. Has anyone had any issues with the incandescent lights lifting the inserts due to heat? There’s very minor separation on some of my inserts, and I’d like to avoid making it worse.
I’m sure in a home environment, when the games not on for hours everyday, this probably isn’t an issue. Thanks for any input
[quoted image]

Congrats on adding such a great pin! It’s not quite 20 years old, but LOTR is already a classic. I’m on my second one and can’t see ever letting it go again. The lighting effects are a big part of the game, so incandescent lights look great on LOTR. LEDs do look good with an OCD board, paired with warm white LEDs mostly and a few colors in certain areas, like green near the potd. A gazillion cool mods and upgrades too. As far as heat affecting the inserts, it’s not a big problem for HUO pins that only get light play and aren’t left on all day. But that’s just my opinion! Enjoy your game!

1 week later
#8077 2 years ago

First time for everything!
[quoted image]

That’s what all those critters are for, catching airballs.

2 weeks later
#8106 2 years ago
Quoted from briyau15:

How do your POTD figures stay on? Are they just glued down to it? Do they also light up or are they the figures only?

For mine I used thin 2-sided tape for the figures and trees, and I added a green led under the potd.

DFAF7F70-4C02-410F-86C7-3E43524F887A (resized).jpegDFAF7F70-4C02-410F-86C7-3E43524F887A (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#8119 2 years ago
Quoted from nibaliba:

Can one of you send me a picture of this area with the wire soldered on so i can see
where it belongs?

This is my LOTR auto plunge.

9B197EB8-964C-4C4D-949E-589F13DF4E7C (resized).jpeg9B197EB8-964C-4C4D-949E-589F13DF4E7C (resized).jpeg
#8146 2 years ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

yup, thanks
choice seems to be get insert OCD board
or replace all the LEDs with non ghosting ones, which is a bit cheaper, but a pain in the....
also get the fading benefit from OCD board
only fear would be if I still need to replace bulbs after installing OCD board

I finally installed an OCD board in my LOTR for the inserts and I’m very happy with it. Non-ghosting bulbs do perform better than standard LEDs without the OCD board, but I still noticed ghosting and flickering on my game. Now the lights look great and gradually come on and off like incandescent bulbs. LEDs produce less heat and use less energy too, which is nice if you tend to leave your game on for hours at a time. Many people do prefer the original bulbs on LOTR.

2 months later
#8306 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Is anyone still using the original coils with good success?

I still have my stock coils, and they are plenty strong for the 1-2 games I play every few days. I do occasionally notice some lag after a long adventure, but I can still hit the ring and sword ramp. I bought a pair of the medium coils for this pin just in case, but haven’t needed them yet. My first LOTR had the medium coils and quite easily made the ring shot. Just a matter of preference and probably some degree of variation pin to pin.

1 week later
#8393 1 year ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I picked up a fire ring, but unfortunately I'm having a hard time getting it to function.

That’s a bummer, Chip. The fire ring mod is one of the coolest I’ve seen. I installed one on mine, but I’m sure I have the original opto boards (my LOTR is a 2004). I still had difficulties with mine, but it was user error. I installed something wrong and had to go back in and redo it. Once it was working, it was fantastic. The Palantir/Eye of Sauron mods are great too. The volcano mod is awesome too. The mod list is long on this pin!

#8394 1 year ago

These are really nice, I hope more of these can be made. I bought this “ramp” version from Australia twice, once for each of my LOTRs. Protects the plastic and the shire very well, but still allows the ball to randomly choose the shire or the wireform. Looks like they vanished about a year ago.

1 month later
#8611 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

My journey just began! I have what looks to be an almost new LOTR machine with a color DMD with what otherwise looks like a blank slate when it comes to mods. It looks like there are a lot of great options for this one, so this should be fun!
One thing I noticed is that it looks like a bulb is missing. Does anyone know where I should look to find the replacement part?
I was also wondering if there was a figurine missing where this vertical nail-like post is sticking up.
Finally, it looks like the Palantir target (which is begging for a decal of some sort) is really off-centered. Is this atypical?

They make brackets to correct the leaning stand up targets. I’ve installed a few on some other Stern pins (Tron, etc) and they work well. LOTR is one of the very best pins to modify. There are so many great options from the path of the dead mod, volcano, fire ring, etched plastic, Palantir mod, and many more. Have fun!

#8626 1 year ago

Warm white or Sunlight LEDs look pretty nice on LOTR, if you have the inserts OCD board. I installed one last year and it made a huge difference. The LEDs flickered badly before I added the OCD board. Incandescent bulbs do look great in LOTR tho.

#8627 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Got a link for that target and bracket? I have a huo lotr too.
Thx

These work well too, for $6 from Mezel Mods. You can get them for narrow stand ups or the wider/square ones like the Palantir. Takes maybe 15 mins to install.

25E1ABEB-1658-4205-9282-969FF52FAEBA (resized).png25E1ABEB-1658-4205-9282-969FF52FAEBA (resized).png
4 weeks later
#8702 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

After 10 years I finally got to Valinor. Bonus: on ball 1 Bonus 2: I scored like 37m as I didn’t know what I was doing. Got through most of the gifts and multiballs again, TABA a 2nd time, but ultimately fell.
[quoted image]

Wow. A top 20 score on LOTR is impressive. And reaching Valinor puts you in select company. I need to start playing my LOTR more! Heckuva game!

1 week later
#8752 1 year ago

Speaker Light Kits are bonkers nice. A bit of work to install (on my EHoH at least), but well worth it. So many colors, patterns, effects. Highly recommend.

1 month later
#8894 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Ok, so I'm really torn and I kind of understand that being the LOTR club it may be somewhat biased opinions but I have the chance to trade my 7 month old (450 plays) 1 owner Jurassic Park Premium for a well optioned LOTR.
My heart really wants the LOTR as it's my favorite books and movies since high school. I'm a huge fan. Jurassic Park is also a favorite of mine but not at the level LOTR is. I've never played the LOTR pin, but I've read enough to know that I doubt I'll be disappointed. The hang up comes to the value. With tax and shipping and a couple mods I'm in JP for $10,200. The LOTR game has a lot of cool add-ons such as the path of the dead, palantir, eye of Sauron, power blades, speaker grills and a color DMD. There may be other small things but I don't know the game well enough. The cabinet does have some scuffs on the lower left side, not bad but there. I also realize the game is 19 years old too. It's said to 100% working order.
The reason I purchased JP in the first place is while originally looking for a LOTR a dealer talked me out of it as I was knew to pinball and kind of scared me away from an older game as a first machine. I've since added a POTC and while still a noob I'm already a lot less intimidated by an older machine. So when this somewhat local LOTR surfaced recently as a trade I've really been thinking about it. In 2016 I looked at buying a LOTR and they were trading for around $4000 - $5000 at the time which seemed pretty high and I backed down thinking if I wait a few years they would be cheaper. Well, that didn't really work out for me. I can't help but wonder if I wait another couple years will I be looking at these machines for $12k or $13k? More? I feel that if I take the trade I may be losing around $1000 on my end but I guess you don't really ever recoup tax and shipping. Maybe it's worth it to get the Holy Grail pin for me? Should I just be patient and save up for another year or so and find one then? I will like try to find another JP in the end as those were the three goal pins but who knows, maybe I find something I like more than JP too. I find JP as a noob to be a hard game.
what are you're thoughts? would you trade even if it favored the seller?

You’ll be able to find a minty JP2 again for a few years if you decide you miss it. You’ll get to experience owning a LOTR, a fav theme of yours. This has been my favorite Stern for years, and I love JP2, Tron, GB and EHoH. But LOTR is really a complete package. Some say the pf art is somewhat cut/paste/photoshop. I don’t mind the art, and the cab looks cool. I had a custom translite made for mine. For your JP, you should be able to trade for a pretty high-end LOTR with minimal wear, I would think. Mods are nice, but condition is key (imho). You can always enjoy adding mods yourself, there are a ton of great options for LOTR. I’m on my second LOTR and this one will hopefully stay always. Good luck w your decision!

7E1E1366-27ED-4BE0-AF5F-B4576741FAE5 (resized).png7E1E1366-27ED-4BE0-AF5F-B4576741FAE5 (resized).png
1 week later
#8952 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I've seen those but I thought they were primarily to block dmd from reflecting off upper playfield glass. Would it also help my problem of outlane spotlight glare on the dmd? If I draw a line from the bulbs to the dmd, it would go over this plastic.

Usually bent plastic helps block the DMD from reflecting on the upper half of the playfield. I would think apron or sling lights wouldn’t be blocked by it. You may want to adjust any lamps that are reflecting, or consider different flashers? I find frosted domes on standard LEDs reflect less. Or move your playfield characters around to block the lights!

1 week later
#9005 1 year ago
Quoted from DragonLord:

You can literally play multiball without any flailing or cradling.

It doesn’t resemble LOTR much, but the game I love to play multiball in is White Water. If you can keep feeding No Way Out up the middle, you can spread all 3 balls out (or 2 balls in Whirlpool mode) and keep shooting Insanity Falls for big points. It feels like ball management instead of frantic slapping and simply keeping balls alive. For me, more pins are chaotic that way. BSD has a really fun multiball, but it’s more intense and harder to manage.

1 month later
#9162 1 year ago
Quoted from Dezman:

Certain things you just can't see when you buy a machine. Previous owner had a basterdized home-grown Palatir mod that ruined the metal piece it sits on.
I am trying to install the F2Niro Palatir and not sure how to approach this. Does this metal piece have a replacement? Appreciate any advice.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You are in luck! Marco Specialties…$20

F6660BBC-1047-4307-AF47-092CE0F59861 (resized).jpegF6660BBC-1047-4307-AF47-092CE0F59861 (resized).jpeg
#9163 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

I just wrapped up this project. Found a nice huo example down in Kentucky from a guy that bought it new for the grandkids. They didn’t play it much lol. I went a bit over board on this one…still need to get art blades but I was able to upgrade the sound to flipper fidelity all around. I added the pinsound package with shaker and external volume control. New glass new rubber plus fresh lolly pop rails. Led backbox light show integrated with gameplay and full non ghosting LEDs. Speaker lights and an aux 12v that runs the majority of the mods. Check out the video here I’m happy with how it came out. The custom sound package is really something to experience. Lemme know what you think in the comments. Cheers! Here’s part two

Fantastic! I found my current LOTR in 2018 from the original owner, who rarely played it. It was absolutely stock. Since then, I’ve added so many mods (my fav pin to mod) including Niro Palantir mod, flaming ring, potd platform and figures, Cliffys, LEDs with OCD board, color DMD, ring shooter rod with red acrylic, alternate translite, etched acrylic, volcano mod, Arwen ramp/slide by RedShiftLED, and more. I have the shaker you can customize to react by triggering specific switches, but haven’t installed yet. I should install my separate power supply first. The one major mod I don’t have yet is Pinsound. I’m tempted after hearing yours!

1 week later
#9214 1 year ago

Ok LOTR friends. I goofed and broke a prong on my (White Star) sound board trying to install Pinsound. It’s the microprocessor at U209. Are these available anywhere, or do I need a skilled person to repair it? The chip refused to come out after 19 years in place, and I bent a few prongs. After straightening they wouldn’t cooperate, and one got brittle and broke off. Ugh. No sound for me for awhile.

1FFCEE79-C580-48A5-BB4A-FAB768F73E97 (resized).jpeg1FFCEE79-C580-48A5-BB4A-FAB768F73E97 (resized).jpeg
#9217 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

EBAY has them.
ebay.com link: itm
The only thing to be wary of is fakes. Chip fakes are a thing on ebay. But that seller's feedback is 100% on over 1000 sales, so I think it's safe. Bonus is he's in your neck of the woods, so maybe 1-2 day shipping!

Thanks guys! I did order that one just in case, but after about 12 tries, I think I successfully soldered the prong back on. Fingers crossed I don’t fry the sound board. But I have hope. Here is the chip I think I fixed.

0D3D53FF-E891-49AA-A97A-CBBFFC1A5A80 (resized).jpeg0D3D53FF-E891-49AA-A97A-CBBFFC1A5A80 (resized).jpegB69913A9-50C0-4D2D-AE4B-A592D8FE97E8 (resized).jpegB69913A9-50C0-4D2D-AE4B-A592D8FE97E8 (resized).jpeg
#9218 1 year ago

PinSound is rockin on my LOTR! Now I just need my soldered prong to stay intact on that chip!

#9221 1 year ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

If you do have to pull it, hopefully the prong pulls out too!

That prong was a bit longer when soldered on, so it’s only about halfway plugged into the socket. Even if it snapped off, I could grab it with some needle nose pliers. I have a couple backup chips ordered, just in case.

Which Pinsound file for LOTR do most people feel is THE alternate package to have? How do I know which one it is? Thanks!

2 weeks later
#9263 1 year ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

My LOTR has been flawless up until yesterday. When I turned it on after about a week It started up with a very strange that I was not prepared for. I heard Gandalf's voice say Danger and something not right and the game then showed TILT. I powered off and back on and it went to TILT. I turned it off and waited longer and reseated all connectors and pressed on all socketed chips and the game booted up fine and my friend and I played probably 10 games or so with no issue and then during last game it displayed "TILT" cabinet was not pushed at all, and it always warns in game when pushed. Any idea where to start? I need it back to normal for SuperBowl/Birthday Party on the 12th.

Loose wire or cold solder on a wire to a tilt switch? Just a first guess.

3 weeks later
#9316 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Anyone else have a topper like this? I unplugged it and now it only flashes between green and off. I cant find the remote. The jumper board for this that plugs into the games power driver board seems pretty elaborate to just cycle colors, is it interactive in some setting? Would appreciate instruction manual if there is one, any help is appreciated
[quoted image]

I have the same prob on my Tron topper. It’s one of those Laserific led toppers. I have like 4 of those led remotes, but none will change the color. It’s just white all the time. Not sure of the solution.

1 week later
#9343 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

if you have the money, the pinsound board is what would make the biggest difference.

Agree. Pinsound is pricy, but it’s a major sound makeover on this title. I’m not even a fan of the movie series and I still appreciate the richer, fuller soundtracks available on Pinsound. I’ve converted to Pinsound on just two pins, BSD and LOTR.

#9352 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

I'm really proud of myself! I just did my first mod with lights (the eye of Sauron light in the back box), and I didn't screw it up, LOL! That's motivated me to install the Army of the Dead mod.
I think everything that came with the kit I bought is included, but there were no directions, and the seller was of no help. Any support would be appreciated! Keep in mind, I'm very new to modding, so even the vocabulary of the part names is beyond me at this point.
Also, the plastic I got from the seller was incredibly cloudy as well, which is really disappointing. I'm going to make the most of it by affixing these skulls over the top of the plastic. I've never seen anyone do that before, but I think it'll turn out well? I'll drill holes in the skulls for the wiring for the Army of the Dead figures. I haven't put in the side art yet, but I'm looking forward to adding that too.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The skulls are cool, and will make a unique surface to mount the AotD figures on. The ball won’t be visible traveling underneath, which may not matter. Otherwise, it’s a good solution if the cloudy surface bothers you. Post pics.

#9359 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I always assumed those type of switch arms were not swappable. Is there a way to easily do it?

On most micro switches you can pop the actuator arm off and swap them out. Lots of different lengths and designs. I’ve occasionally tweaked a finicky switch with a different arm, and improved function. The Cherry style micro switches have tiny round “buttons” or tabs (not sure what to call them) that the switch arm snaps onto.

#9370 1 year ago
Quoted from brad808:

8.5 years is took me. Finally beat it! I don't think I've ever been locked into a game more. Probably about an hour and a half game. Final score 839,512,970 (more than double my previous GC). Now onto the Simpsons .
[quoted image]

You’ll always remember where you were…

5 months later
#9683 7 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

never came across this fire ring mod before, looks killer. you still make these?

2Niro makes great mods. The fire ring is one of those perfectly subtle yet awesome upgrades. I found that one tricky to install, but it took me longer because I goofed in the middle and had to backtrack. It’s awesome tho. I finally upgraded my Palantir/eye to the 2Niro version 1.0 with the lcd video of flames. Love that one too. So many awesome mods for LOTR. Mine is a 2004 I bought from the original owner who rarely played it. He cleaned it and changed the batteries, and put a few games on it each year, 125 plays over 14 years. Still had the goodie bag inside. I’ve modded it out and added Pinsound, LED OCD board and color DMD. I have the shaker you can customize to activate with whatever switches you want, just haven’t installed it yet. Still a Stern masterpiece.

#9685 7 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

For the non LE LOTR, the kit that pinballlife.com sells IIRC utilizes Sterns LE code which is perfect in every way and identical to the LE. IF I were you I'd sell what you have and buy one of those instead.

Thanks! Maybe I will do that. I’m sure this shaker is compatible with alot of pins. I’m not personally a huge shaker person anyway.

3 weeks later
#9730 7 months ago
Quoted from timbo74:

Machine volume is at 1.

That’s interesting, because when I installed Pinsound in my LOTR, I heard nothing when I turned it on. I was confused, and thought something was wrong. I had always kept my machine volume at 1 or 2. I could hear the music very faintly as I turned it up. Finally, I turned my machine volume up to 15-20 and could hear it fine. Maybe my Pinsound volume is turned way down? For whatever reason, I needed my machine volume way up. Works great now! I love Pinsound on this title, and on BSD.

3 weeks later
#9763 6 months ago

Few pins from that era have a journey this long or a finale so challenging it’s mythical for most players. I’m a decent player, but Valinor is out of my reach. Admittedly I only play LOTR occasionally, but my best games have only gotten me TABA, with 3-4 gifts. I’m excited when I destroy the ring, which I’ve not done in so long I now have a mental block about it.

1 month later
#9845 5 months ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

The standard 89 bulb has a tendency to burn out quickly. I suggest you install one of these, really lights it up.
https://www.cometpinball.com/products/13smd-tower-flasher?_pos=8&_sid=362de372f&_ss=r&variant=12386957131820

Is it the 12-13v bayonet flasher bulb that goes inside Balrog? Is it a pain in the butt to remove and change it out?

4 months later
#10126 28 days ago

I recently sold my second and most prized LOTR, so I’ve left the club again, for now. LOTR is still my #1 pick for best Stern pin and probably my favorite pin overall. It’s just awesome in every aspect. Code is legendary, and Destroy the Ring is just a great, reachable mini-wizard mode. Also my favorite game to add mods to, with the POTD figures, the volcano, the ring of fire, Pinsound, the list is long. It was tough to let go of, but went to a family that absolutely loves everything LOTR, and they are having a blast with it, just their second pin.

So I’ll sign off with a picture of just the LOTR painting I have left, and Banjo, alone a top Lonely Mountain. And my sad DTR best time of 1:21. I knew I could do it in under 30 seconds, but I always flubbed the ring shot, and once it just didn’t register the ring switch. But what a mode and game.

IMG_8466 (resized).pngIMG_8466 (resized).pngIMG_9090 (resized).jpegIMG_9090 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.95
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinkitten.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=Pinkitten and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.