IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

363 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Neal_W. You are on page 1 of 2.
#342 8 years ago

TO WARRRRRR!!!

Loving my new LOTR, and proud to join the club!! Destroyed the ring for the first time today!

Pin was in good condition with a bunch of mods when I got it, and seemed to play smooth and fast with super bands, but needed a little cleaning. Now cleaned and two coats of wax, on a perfect fast shot, the ball will not stay on the left Legolas ramp, often flying off the habitrail and sometimes hitting the glass in the area above the shire.

Turned the flipper settings all the way down in the standard audits and it still plays fine at the new settings:
#53 ADJ 1 = 20 ->10
#54 ADJ 2 = 50 ->40
#55 ADJ 3 = 3 ->0

Now 46 games after waxing, it still comes off the ramp occasionally. I had read the speed settles down about 10 games after waxing, but not yet here. Is that normal? How often does everyone see the ball fly off the left ramp? Thanks.

#358 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

It's normal. It's a design flaw. It happens all the time. You need this, and you need it now..
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod

I already have the plastic there, but that looks better. The ball flies off the ramp before it gets there, and lands in the shire. Launched by the top ascending part of the ramp - I guess.

Quoted from Skypilot:

Loosen the nuts holding the ramp in place. My game came to me with just over 200 plays on it and the ball would fly off Legolis ramp.It was cranked into the PF so tight it interrupted the flow.

Interesting. Will give that a try.

Quoted from Jvspin:

Hmm...mine has never flown off the ramp. You may have the extra strong coils from PinballLife.

Will take a look. In any case, I assume the stronger coils work OK for others.

Thanks for all the replies!

4 weeks later
#381 8 years ago

Both my Aragorn on Horseback and Dark Rider on Horseback plastic figures lean to side about 45 degrees. The horses legs have warped, letting the figures droop, since they are not perfectly balanced.

I saw online where plastic figures could be immersed in hot water, straightened, and then immersed in cold water to stiffen them again. I tried that, and it worked briefly, but after a few hours they drooped over again under their own weight.

I'm thinking of putting a long screw up through the base of each and in to the horses belly to secure it straight up. Anyone got another idea?

#383 8 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

lights are out on the back panel

I/O Power Driver Board fuse F24 shown on page 103 of the service manual for more info.

3 weeks later
#413 8 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

gets stuck between this post and the wireform

It looks like you have the post and washer mounted on the wrong screw. Check out mine.

IMG_9933_(resized).JPGIMG_9933_(resized).JPG

IMG_9932_(resized).JPGIMG_9932_(resized).JPG

#415 8 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

I will have a look when I get home.

OK, post a pic with the ball stuck. Looking at mine, I can't even see how it is possible.

#420 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Any other must have mods?
Here is what is already on order:
- Jayspinball palantir ball mod
- Shaker motor
- PAL for shaker
- Wood rail protector
- Cliffys (all 3)
- Pinbits protectors
- Habitrail brass wire mod
- Shire image decals
- POTD figures/lighted (I'm mailing my figures to Pinball Refinery)

Thats a lot of mods!

Looks like you listed this already:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=464

I like the bass response of the FF speakers in my LotR.

Others might say the color DMD is a must.

Edit -
Sting shooter rod looks great installed IMHO.
http://cointaker.com/products/lord-of-the-rings-sword-custom-shooter-rod

3 weeks later
#556 8 years ago

If you can't find the key to the back box hooked inside the coin door or rolling around inside the back of the cabinet, you can pick the lock. It's a simple one blade key, which is so easy, that even I can do it. Check which way your other pins open and which way the key blade faces.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tips-for-drilling-out-a-lock

#559 8 years ago
Quoted from BigBlockFever:

ball trough constantly ejects even with no ball ready

Maybe a switch in the trough or shooter lane not working. Check each in the diagnostics - switch test menu.

Quoted from BigBlockFever:

vertical upkicker( to the right of planatir)lost the ability to eject the ball hard enough

Look at the VUK from the under the playfield and check items like -
are the wires soldered to the coil securely?
does the plunger move freely?
no parts are broken or loose?

3 weeks later
#572 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Long story short, if you ever take off that LED PCB like I did, treat this insert like it's plutonium.

Ouch, that hurts! Sorry to see that, and thanks for the tip.

If there is a bright side.. hopefully the silk screening will be a little better aligned on the new playfield.

1 week later
#594 8 years ago
Quoted from mortenera:

Thanks for pushing me over the edge

Since your already in trouble, get the "Sting" shooter rod as well! It only takes a couple minutes to install and looks fantastic.

Coolest shooter rod ever made IMHO.

http://www.pinballcustoms.com/shop/lord-of-the-rings-sting/

#608 8 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I successfully made the final shot... but wasn't rewarded.

Yup, you have to go through the ring, to hit the micro switch #48 on the ramp inside the back to get credit for destroying the ring. I was never getting credit until I figured out that switch was wearing out and not registering most of the time.

2 weeks later
#657 8 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Anyone know where to get replacement LEDs for the rings-count

I ordered this from Amazon back in the fall to replace my 3 white ring LEDS that had failed, and they are a bit brighter than original but have worked fine ever since:

"microtivity IL051 5mm Clear White LED (Pack of 25)"

2 weeks later
#674 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

What modern pin has ball times longer than LOTR? Answer: GOT

With similar outlane posts settings? I have limited experience with GoT and have only had about 20 plays, but I did not notice any long ball times.

2 weeks later
#759 7 years ago
Quoted from rudygulp42:

Just brought home a LOTR fresh off route. Coins were pouring out as I made slap saves.

Need pictures!

4 weeks later
#787 7 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Any tips of brightening up the LOTR play field?

LED GI is always step one.

Mine came with an LED kit installed and a green LED strip shining up from the trough to brighten up the flipper area, and a pink LED strip under the back box, to lighten up the upper play field. The pink should be red, but it does the job.

The spot lights on my slings have red frosted LEDs, something lighter might be better, and it came with some extra purple spots in the coin box, which I think I will use for the mid play field and to light up the death rider. Always interesting to see how various colors look.

#807 7 years ago

Just started and restarted a bunch of games with Witch King mode and zero success. That is a good one to start before a multiball and hope it works out.

#814 7 years ago
Quoted from Knx873:

I joined the club today!! Can I add a shaker?

If you don't have the "LotR LE" aka "gold edition", you have to jump through some hoops.

Details here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

1 week later
#869 7 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

any advice on LED packages

Make sure they are no ghost type. LotR ghosts badly otherwise.

#888 7 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

So do others get this ball hang-up?

Never. Maybe an issue with the VUK? Everything looks normal in the photo.

I would start a game with the glass off and just keep dropping balls in the saucer, and watch how they end up there.

1 week later
#926 7 years ago

Can't really tell much from those photos, other than it is in a sketchy basement or garage. Why would they want to keep the autographed translite? Do they have a nicer LotR to move it to? Ask them how much extra for it.

Look it over closely with good lighting and note everything that is not in good condition everywhere on the cab, everywhere on the playfield, in the back box, and inside the cab. Play more than one game to get a feel for any and all operation issues. (gives you a chance to chat with the seller) $4500 is good for a HUO LotR, but things are often not as described.

1 month later
#1004 7 years ago

I noticed at the 1min mark, that Balrog came out for a short 'Bash Balrog' mode. Mine does not do that. I have not messed with the settings very much since I got mine. Will have to see what fun things I can turn on. Any tips?

#1013 7 years ago
Quoted from tu71586:

Finally pulled the relay board. I'm a total noob, but are the solder joints at the bottom of the picture bad? Could that blackish color to those solder joints mean that the relay itself is bad (though as in my video in post #995, the Balrog does move back and forth)? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

They look bad to me. Clearly that part was replaced once. Use a soldering iron to reflow all the joints and find out. (even the lower one on the far left looks odd)

3 weeks later
#1069 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Pinball life's upgraded coils are too strong. I had them and had to take them off. The ball was flying off the left ramp and I was getting worried stuff was going to break.

Same here, however the original coils fade as they heat up with long play. What did you go with??

Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Try pulling your coil sleeve to make sure its not cracked or broken. For some reason on mine i cracked the left flipper sleeve twice.

Also flipper can crack badly and not be visible until you look underneath.

2 months later
#1219 7 years ago

Anyone have a spare shire VUK plastic number "-20" shown in the pic?

Let me know if you have an unused one or used unbroken one your willing to part with. Thanks!

SHIRE PLASTIC (resized).jpgSHIRE PLASTIC (resized).jpg

#1223 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I swapped the normal coil back into the right flipper and left the stronger coil on the left.

Yup, I might end up doing that too. (or probably the medium coil mentioned on the previous page)

#1233 7 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

I feel like I will reach Valinor before defeating the Witch King

Start a multiball (Fellowship MB makes sense) immediately after starting witch king mode. (this was posted a few pages back, and helps me kill that flying monster.)

I have not researched much LotR strategy, but since you can always start a MB after starting a ring mode, I always do it in that order. (AKA stacking) Hit Elf rings to light "start mode", then start the mode, and usually end up qualifying and starting a MB while working on a ring mode. Once the MB is started, I concentrate on the MB goal, since you have to complete all 3 MB objectives to reach Valinor, and I often happen to complete the ring modes while working on the MB objectives. (You must complete the MB objectives, not the ring mode objectives to reach Valinor.)

#1239 7 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

please confirm what belongs on this gate switch

Yes, a post that sticks up about 35mm. (looks like I also have a broken wire keeper there, but the wire is not currently routed that way)

gate (resized).JPGgate (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1254 7 years ago

This pinsider is selling some used LOTR plastics here if anyone needs them:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-plastics-1

1 week later
#1267 7 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Any way....just bought a basket case LOTR and will be started the repair process.

Quoted from chadderack:

Guys, it's official. I'm in love.

Welcome! So it begins.

#1274 7 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I am having trouble locating a PAL chip to use with a shaker install.

I believe it is needed. PALs are burned like ROMs.

If it came to it, you should be able to burn one yourself or find someone who can.

2 weeks later
#1338 7 years ago
Quoted from Hoser:

what does an LE actually sell for these days?

Yup, 5k+ for a standard with mods sounds right.

Condition is everything. I consider the Pinside prices fair for a good condition, fully working pin. Each flaw and issue subtracts from the value.

Boston Pinball does not show any recent sales of LE on Ebay.

2 months later
#1490 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

what the hell is "mango silence"?

What character says it?

#1492 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

what the hell is "mango silence"?

That is Gimli blurting out "mind those ladders" during Two Towers Multiball.

#1494 7 years ago

Reminds me of song lyrics I can't figure out and I just sing nonsense.

4 weeks later
#1548 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Orthanc to the path of the dead about 50% of the time ejects so hard that it hits the side of the cabinet.

I think that's normal.

3 weeks later
#1601 6 years ago

There is no lamp indicating what shot is needed to start fellowship multiball, other than the indicators in the middle.

When you collect each one, there is a unique call out that helps me remember who goes with each shot when I play. Usually Boromir is last, meaning more pops are needed.

1 month later
#1666 6 years ago

If you slide the playfield all the way out on the rails, you can get to switches and flasher in the back. (mostly)

2 weeks later
#1688 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

can someone come up with a DIY Palantir Mod

Yup, I swapped my Palantir bulb for a slow color change bendy LED. It was initially too bright so I put some white paper around the LED to diffuse it, with scotch tape.

The view of the paper grain and tape edge with the LED behind, gives a bit of a veiny eye effect. I need to try drawing on the paper to make it a bit cooler.

#1700 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Has anyone seen this problem? It typically happens during a multi ball. One of the balls gets lodged just above the shooter rod to the left.

That skinny red plastic along the shooter lane that blocks that area is broken on your pin.

Is the auto plunger working OK? Maybe, take the glass off and start a Return of the King Multiball to see what occurs when it starts adding balls.

3 weeks later
#1770 6 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

right ramp switch

Your just missing the small nut there. (regular nut with nylon insert)

IMG_4396 (resized).JPGIMG_4396 (resized).JPG

#1775 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It appears your lower threaded shaft part is broken off as well.

Good catch! Will keep an eye out for a small screw to use there.

#1802 6 years ago
Quoted from Gunnder:

The sound quality is very poor. When on the lower sound settings, a lot of crackling, static, and just plain old low quality sound.

While the sound quality overall of LotR is not high, mine does not crackle like that.

A previous owner installed Flipper Fidelity speakers on my LotR, but I don't think that affects crackle greatly. It just gives me a lot of bass and probably a little extra range.

It seems like a poor connection would give crackle like that. Check the solder connections at all 3 speakers, and reseat the speaker connector at the board.

2 weeks later
#1837 6 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Is there anyway to tell what ROM version you have by looking in the settings?

Turn off the fast boot in feature adjust #45

4 weeks later
#1941 6 years ago

I have a red LED flasher there with a bulb condom slid over it to hide it.

I think converting it in to a spot light / flasher aimed at the front of the ring wraith would be 100 times better.

1 week later
#1953 6 years ago

Nice job. 39 seconds is my best time.

#1977 6 years ago
4 weeks later
#2003 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Yes, 4 balls are in the game.

Everything normal in the switch test?

When you drop the balls in to the trough, does that look normal? Try it a couple times.

Is the switch test OK, when you turn it on first thing also?

(love that shinny armor!)

1 week later
#2041 6 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

messing with settings

LOTR has the 'Installs Settings' that globally changes ALL the difficulty settings for you. Just select X.HD for extra hard.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#2059 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

If it's at the beginning of a game it could also be caused by the switch inside the Balrog. This is a normally closed switch, meaning when the ball strikes the Balrog the switch opens. When you start a game the Balrog swings out and sometimes triggers the switch causing a mode to start.

I replaced my flaky Balrog switch and my intermittent mode start at the first game of the day vanished. I never put the two things together. Kudos!!

1 week later
#2080 6 years ago

Welcome! What specific parts/shots feel clunky? Maybe something can be adjusted.

You can purchase complete plastics sets.

Marco sells the plastic support posts for the flasher by the shooter.

There is a thread on the parts and work needed to install a shaker on a standard LotR -
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

#2087 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

or $400 board that gives me better sound.

And more:
-Upgrade from mono to 2.1 (stereo+sub) high quality power amplifier
-Full cabinet and back-box tone control (treble, bass, loudness…)
-Change from original sound package to HQ reorchestrated sounds on the fly during a game
-Headphone / line-out connector
-Plays any sound from the USB flash drive

So many mods, so little time!

#2089 6 years ago
#2101 6 years ago
Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Thank you! It looks like they're out of stock and I haven't been able to find another good source for a nice 12v /44 bulb. Is there anybody else you'd recommend.

I used this. It is the kit from the Stern bulletin with second gen Balrog LED bulb and socket, and was cheaper than the bulb they used to stock. Now I have a spare socket.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5022-00

#2112 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

New clear rips of scenes from the movies without the distortion on the originals would absolutly knock the mix out of the park.

Unfortunately, dialog taken from your copy of the movie will have loud unwanted backing music and sound effects mixed in, and would sound clunky. I imagine the studio gave Stern the isolated dialog track to use for the callouts, and the custom callouts recorded for the pin would also be needed.

#2118 6 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Is there a setting that can override it?

Should work. Ball must be in the shooter lane, and it must be ball 2. Try it one more time.

Maybe the ball save setting was on (called "Freeze Time"), and it was still on ball 1?

Maybe your shooter lane switch is not working??

#2128 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm still astounded at how similar it is to Monster Bash

Both fan layouts put plenty of differences. LorR always impresses me with the layout of the inner/outer orbit shots crossing and interacting with the Barad-dur saucer, the lanes, the Orthanc diverter post, the moving Orthanc guide, and the Orthanc skill shot. (and a jump flying over it!)

#2142 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yes it does do that. I look at it sort of like the ball hitting the glass in WH2O, part of the design.

I think he means the right ramp. That is where the sword is.

Mine does not hit the side of the cab when I shoot it up the right ramp from the left flipper, it hits the large switch there and heads down the ramp fairly quietly. If I backhand that shot, I then get a satisfying clunk. It might be that the ramp is tapered, putting spin on one side or the other side of the ball.

#2152 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Pretty sure that setting is only to adjust the upkickers.

OK, now I'm curious!

#2159 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I think my ring magnet went bad. Is this a common thing with a common fix? If so, what is it? Of course it happened as I was about to destroy the ring!

It's common that when two balls get stuck there, the magnet fuse can blow.

#2170 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have balls that are getting stuck on the switches on the right (sword) ramp.

The balls may be magnetized and sticking together.

#2195 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What! Wtf this seems like a fairly bad design flaw

I use the 5 for $5 balls from marco, and have never magnetized one yet.

2 weeks later
#2265 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Thanks, I don't know what a Rom chip is, but I'll figure that out too.

Software version.

Standard adjustments 45 - set quick boot 'off', and you can see the software version displayed on the DMD when you start up the pin.

#2267 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Set to 1, switches all work, fuse is good, set to 1 ball for DTR, but it still keeps going ring hit after ring hit after I close the 4 shots needed to hit the last shot.

After the 4 shots, it should be 2 shots to the ring to destroy it.

You mentioned you changed the magnet fuse. Is the magnet working? When you start the game, the mode start light is lit, so when you the ring, the magnet should grab it while the mode start animation plays.

2 weeks later
#2314 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

I'm noticing is that with a few hits of the flipper button, ball in the shooter lane, the ring mode starts.

I think that is a symptom of the Balrog switch failing/noisy. Others have reported that, and replacing the Balrog switch fixed that issue for me.

Before fixing it, I was not registering some Balrog hits, and when testing the switch I could see it was blipping on/off/on/off... when I tested it in switch mode.

1 week later
#2347 6 years ago

Used 2 ball for a while but often the magnet would grab both and I got frustrated with it, so went back to 1 ball DTR.

#2358 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Is it normal for the ring to make a loud buzzing noise when it grabs the ball and holds it?

Mine doesn't. Coils normally buzz when their not super tight. Maybe the bracket is loose or you need to add a shim. (not sure how that coil is mounted)

#2362 6 years ago

Wow, I had seen issues with color registration, where the small yellow letters with orange trim where obviously misaligned like where it says "light all rings for ring frenzy" at the bottom, but red nosed Gandalf sticking out his tongue is too much.

#2373 6 years ago

Here are a couple pics of mine FYI. PF looks normal, and appears to be stamped 07 04 (Aug/2004 I assume). It's a LotR standard and has Gandalf w/horse figure.

IMG_5092 (resized).JPGIMG_5092 (resized).JPG

No green hue -
IMG_5096 (resized).JPGIMG_5096 (resized).JPG

"LIGHT ALL RINGS" has good yellow/orange registration.
IMG_5093 (resized).JPGIMG_5093 (resized).JPG

#2375 6 years ago

Sounds like yours is standard. The LE version from 2009 does not have any figures.

It was posted above - 'In 2005 mid production they ran out of Gandoff figures and he changed to Gandoff the grey with no horse.'

#2413 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Any guidance for me to know if it's the coil? Fuse? The 3 switches just prior to the "ball locker" work.
Help!!

OK, the coil tried. Coils are a little weird in test mode. Sounds like it may be OK.

How about the switches in test mode?

2 weeks later
#2477 6 years ago
Quoted from parsonsaj:

Is there any downside in using the NVRAM instead of the original battery design?

The main downside to NVRAM is the clock would not keep correct time/date. That would not be cool in a pin with midnight madness or a physical clock like TZ.

In LotR, the time/date is used for configuring the starting and ending of TOPS tournaments, so that would be one possible issue, but not for most of us.

1 week later
#2488 6 years ago
Quoted from talking_goat:

I have been reading up and if I'm not mistaken these would be good to order in order to avoid magnetization

Yes, any inexpensive ball will be the type that is OK with magnets.

2 weeks later
#2573 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I’m going to swap in this playfield as soon as I find the time

The colors look good to me. If your missing any disassembly photos or need anything checked here, don't hesitate to ask.

#2589 6 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Do the lights near the shooter lane flicker instead of fading?

The 8 lamps along the shooter lane work with the insert lamps and not the GI, so the LED OCD would smooth them.

#2610 6 years ago
Quoted from talking_goat:

I tried using the Carbon Steel chrome-plated ones from Ball Baron, they magnetized after three games. Is this impossible to fix???

Plenty of threads about that. These inexpensive carbon steel balls work fine in my LotR, TZ, and Met pro:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PB116-5

#2642 6 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I've played TNA on co-op mode a few times now (4-player), and it gave me a great idea. The next time I have a party, I'll put LOTR on 12 ball play (4x3), and have people play a "4-player co-op" game on LOTR to see how far they can get. If there are a few good players, they should reach TABA easily, and they have at least a shot at Valinor. This seems way more fun than slogging it out to Valinor myself.

Co-op on LotR would be killer!

Turn on all the extra ball awards:
special audit 3: replay award = EB
special audit 6: special award = EB
special audit 9: EB limit = unlimited

4 weeks later
#2711 6 years ago
Quoted from canea:

I know the current trend is to get rid of the apron girls, but what if...

Love those. send file plz!

2 weeks later
#2803 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

HUO doesn't mean you are getting the best machine

Yup, a worn out, dirty, non functioning, hacked, faded, incomplete, abused pin could still be called HUO by defenition.

#2820 5 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Both slings are getting stuck.

You can see the paint has rubbed off the right plastic. The slings are hitting there. Put a washer or two under the plastic so the sling is not hitting it. That is probably why it is sticking.

#2825 5 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

I have convolux under my plastics so that's probably from the previous owner. I did however just change the nuts out to the chroma gold ones. I probably put them on a little too tight. I'll check that out today.

Yup, it is a tight fit under there. One of my old plastics had the paint scratched off too. Adding some thin washers works, so nothing touches.

#2871 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Does this look normal? The sling rubber on my LOTR sticks out much more than my other games

Looks the same as my lotr. Half the pins in my lineup are like your lotr and half are like your AFM. Just the way the sling plastics were done on different pins it seems.

#2925 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

My right flipper keeps getting stuck in the up position.
With most games, I'd normally just go in and check the coil sleeve or flipper for binding. But I know LOTR has issues with overheating.
Does this sound like it's the coil? Seems to only happen on the right.

Have you checked it in the switch test mode? See if it ever stays 'on' there.

#2930 5 years ago

Wow, that is a big Oak tree. Hope you can get things back together quickly.

1 week later
#2977 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

My Balrog does not seem to be registering hits unless you really smack it hard with a straight on shot.

The switch or the wires running to it are probably failing. I have not opened it in a while. Start with it in the open position away from the ramp. Take of the 2 screws that hold on the small back cover. The manual has a good exploded view at the bottom of page 87.

Quoted from Damien:

Also, when does the diverter at the top of the pf get activated? Should it be up during War of the Ents. I make the right orbit shot during this mode, and it just sent the ball around the full orbit exiting out of the left side. Should it be stopped by the diverter to be sent into the Path of the Dead?

Yes, that diverter post is up during War of the Ents, but the ball may be going past it because the shot is not strong enough to roll along the top of the orbit or maybe ball guide on the right is aimed under the post. Do left orbit shots hit the diverter and roll in to the tower? You can stand on the right of the pin and see when the diverter post is up. It is normal that a few balls get past it.

#2995 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

What are minis?

Inexpensive LEDs.

https://cointaker.com/t/mini

#3006 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

so I assume he's not glued in then?

All 3 of the horse riding figures are molded with a base that is held down with 2 small tie wraps. You can see Gandalfs base when you look from the right side.

#3021 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Is that how the game is supposed to play on factory settings?

Yup. Standard Adjustment 38 if you want to turn it on.

Here are some other I used and wrote down in my notes to find quickly later if needed:

SA 4 replay levels = (tiers of replays or EBs)
SA 6 Sepecial Award =
SA 9 EB Limit =
SA 15 Tilt Warnings = 3
SA 29 High Score = 10 letters
SA 30 Free Play = Yes
SA 42 Coindoor Ball save = Yes
SA 49 Tech Alert = coin door and startup
SA 3 replay award = EB ==> replay
FA 33 Cave Troll = ON
FA 34 = consolation balrog = none
FA 36 = Extend attract = Yes

#3023 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

So "cave troll" is just that sequence before Balrog comes out?

Yes.

Quoted from Damien:

And what is "attract mode"? It's not in the manual.

Attract mode is what the pin does when your not playing. (not sure what specifically this setting does)

Quoted from Damien:

And last thing, the Palantir target keeps getting bumped to the left. I manually center it, but after a couple of games, it goes back. Any fix for this?

You can tighten up the screws of the leaf switch stack. They also make splints to keep them upright:
https://mezelmods.com/products/stern-target-splints?variant=923513721

1 week later
#3048 5 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Now that we're on the subject of TABA... anyone else notice... when screen says "Shoot a lit shot" the ring is lit?

Have not noticed.

#3059 5 years ago

Have all my DMD pins at 6.5 degrees on the playfield.

#3064 5 years ago

I use my phone. I rotate the phone 180deg and confirm the number is the same both ways, which verifies the phone is properly zeroed. I take the reading at the center of the playfield. Same when checking the left/right is level.

#3072 5 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

balls won’t release from the “sword Lock”. The plastic plunger fires up and down rapidly but balls won’t release.

Are the balls magnetized and sticking together? Is the playfield angle 6.5deg? Are the wires secure on the plunger coil?

2 weeks later
#3103 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It’s almost like the switches weren’t ready yet.

That should be easy to test with the glass off.

In the past I had some intermittent issues with lane 2 not always registering, but I have not seen that in a long time. I don't recall if I did anything to make it go away.

#3104 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I remember an adjustment that was added, something like "Ignore path of the dead on kick". It is to prevent the path switches from registering when the upkicker fires the ball. Maybe try changing that setting and see what effect it has?

Oops I missed your post. Just tested with the glass off.... and yes, when the VUK fires the lanes are disabled for just a split second. Great memory @LOTR_breath!

Funny thing is, the rest of the time those switches always register, even without the VUK firing first. You can keep pressing them and it just keeps saying "100 more, 100 more, 100 more" until you reach 5000 souls.

1 week later
#3143 5 years ago

I can't comment on before/after since mine came with the FF kit w/ 8" woofer installed, but I can say that it does sound good.

I enjoy being able to crank up the sound and bring out the subsonic tones that have me looking over my shoulder when I'm playing alone on those late nights. The included tone control with the FF kits is a nice feature as well.

1 month later
#3203 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Can anyone tell me if this post to the right of the ramp is supposed to have a rubber sleeve on it?

Yes, mine has one.

#3206 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Cool, thanks!
Can anyone help with this. Was trying to take Balrog apart, and the top of the bulb snapped off. When I tried to remove the base, it's attached by a thin wire.
What should I do?

WOW, the bottom of the bulb base pulled out and is stuck to the spring inside the bulb holder. Is that what it looks like to you?

See if that will pull out without wrecking the bulb holder, and get a new balrog LED flasher.

#3226 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

It always puzzled me why my NIB machine had an Arwen plastic, and the LOTR full plastic set purchased at the same time had a different plastic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-ordered-lotr-plastic-setwhy-no-arwen-pic

#3236 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Someone put a really good DTR time on my game

Time to 'ahem' replace the batteries. I had a heavy hitter visit and put a big GC score on my FT. Took me over a year to get the GC back.

I gave up on 2 ball DTR a long time ago. Turn that off and enjoy your pin.

1 week later
#3249 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Merry and Pippin on left sling
Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol on right sling
2 Orcs on the right side, one red one black. Aragorn on horseback above them.
Saruman upper left
Gandalf the white on horseback in middle
Orc with head in the back next to Barad-Dur
Ringwraith on horse, top of the sword

Yup, that's what I have.

#3272 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'm also not sure what's a mod and what's stock.

All of those items listed are mods. LotR-LE(2009) came stock with a shaker, but those have gold armor and a special translite with gold outlines, so you don't have an LE.

1 week later
#3309 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just went to look at a machine that someone is selling. The coin door has 3 slots and the power supply says Canada. They did not have coin mech on the door.
Does this sound normal? Was Stern selling games like this or has it been modified?

Bally/Williams export games had 3 coin slots and 2 coin slots for domestic designated sales. Stern probably did the same.

I have read that operators sometimes kept the coin mechs when selling a game, so the buyer would keep it at home and not put it on location where it would be competition for the seller.

#3317 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

do you get this screen?

Yup, Standard adjustment 45: fast boot => Yes

I make a note of settings I touch, so I can recover after a battery swap. I have extra balls off, which is better for groups and tourney practice. Here is my list:

SA 4 replay levels = 4 (tiers of replays or EBs) ->1
SA 6 Special Award = EB
SA 9 EB Limit = Unlimited -> 0
SA 15 Tilt Warnings = 3
SA 30 Free Play = Yes
SA 38 Ball save
SA 42 Coindoor Ball save = Yes
SA 49 Tech Alert = coin door and startup
FA 33 Cave Troll = ON

#3323 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

- the playfield art is clearer on the 2006

This has been noted previously in the thread. Some playfields have better color registration than others. If you look at the text above the flippers "light all rings for ring frenzy" you may notice the orange/yellow/black don't line up perfectly on some playfields, etc. Also some playfields have a green hue that is noticeable on the faces in the center of the playfield, and some don't. Variances in manufacturing occur over a production run.

Not sure about the slightly raised inserts. Maybe they are slowly lifting up, which is not good.

#3339 5 years ago

I am not aware of figures falling apart. Here are several photos showing attachment if you scroll through the posts:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/58#post-4399907

#3346 5 years ago
Quoted from rask4p:

I've got a question about the right flasher by the right flipper, can someone explain or show me a picture of how that plastic is mounted? I've got a bolt floating on nothing in the top left corner and two plastic offsets on the right and left bottom, so there's not actually anything securely attached to anything.

There is screw with spacer (shown) attached to the plastic underneath, and two plastic standoffs holding the right flasher. I always thought that looked odd and not level, but I have seen the same configuration on other LotR.

IMG_6049 (resized).JPGIMG_6049 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#3363 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Often it comes out so quickly that the first set of switches don't even register the ball passing over.

It has been mentioned that there is a delay and the POTD switches are not immediately active when the VUK shoots the ball up, so occasionally not registering in the top row is not unusual. (I guess that is done, so the VUK does not shake that upper playfield and cause a switch to register without a hit.)

It is also not unusual that the ball will sometimes hit the wall and bounce back down to the VUK again. There is a mod sold which is a flat plastic that lays in the upper right corner of the upper playfield to keep the ball from rolling back down the VUK.

Not sure why your VUK is kicking too hard. Did you check the coil and stopper and confirm everything is secure and looks OK? Does it have the same coil as your other LOTR?

1 week later
#3370 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone have this issue where the ball get stuck on on the edge of the wireworm as it ejects from the VUK?
Also, the nuts on the left side of the wireworm is missing, is this intentional?
And the weird washer on top of the post, is that right?

Mine rarely gets stuck there. There should be a nut holding the wireform.

Your washer is much larger than mine. It only needs to keep balls from trapping between the Palantir and Balrog. The smaller washer would probably let the ball fall out of there.

#3376 5 years ago

Photo. Now I see, your post is supposed to hold the ramp down. Move that post with the washer!!

IMG_6138 (resized).JPGIMG_6138 (resized).JPG

#3382 5 years ago

dmieczko and my photo are just about identical.

My top washer is bit larger than the lower while his are reversed. Probably either will correct your trap issue.

3 weeks later
#3414 5 years ago
Quoted from Charliemouse:

I have one elf ring led out (L2).

I had 1 out and 1 failing when I got my LOTR. I replaced them with Mircrotivity IL051, which worked. They are slightly brighter, so I replaced all 3. They have been working fine for several years.

https://www.amazon.com/microtivity-IL051-Clear-White-Pack/dp/B004JO2HTA

2 weeks later
#3441 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

When you bash that ball through the ring it's a whole new level of effect. It really makes DTR special. It's awesome!

... and then when two balls get stuck, put your hands over the kids ears before the stream of obscenities begins.

1 month later
#3544 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

While we are on the topic, does anyone have an external sub along with pinsound? The pinsound guys told me to use the headphone jack on the pinsound original, but I barely hear my sub like that.
Can someone look at my setup and let me know if that's how you do it too?

I don't use a sub, but anyway, it appears your connected to the output, not the input! (does Polk have a manual online for recommended connections?)

You need your headphone signal from your pin to go the round RCA audio connecter labeled "LINE IN (R)", and another pin can go to Line in L.

Line levels are comparable to a low/mid headphone volume level. If your headphone volume was too high, it would clip and sound distorted out of the sub at middle volume.

#3557 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

There are moments, (even early in a game) where the flippers just feel weak and maybe a tiny bit delayed.

You could try the switch test diagnostic function and see if the flippers buttons are OK.

#3561 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Everything works 100% and the only issue I have is a very rare restart which I think is from adding the Anypin DMD+ so I'll just reseat it.

Congrats, it sounds like you are going all in.

I would resolve the reset issues before starting modding which will just add to the difficulty of ruling things out. Nothing worse than a LotR that crashes when I'm enjoying a 1hr game.

If you jiggle cables or jiggle the playfield does it reset?

one thread to read..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-resets

3 weeks later
#3643 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

During some multiballs it goes dead or won’t hold or is very weak. I think I may have noted a possible reason in the flipper switch.

Do they both behave the same in the switch test? That is an easy place to start.

#3649 5 years ago

My method for LotR and other clearcoated playfields: clean up with novous 1 or if necessary novous 2 using a small amount on a cotton t-shirt scrap. Clean all the residue off with a little novous 1 and get the plastics, plastic ramps and playfield clean and slick. I clean the grime off metal ramps with simple green. I then wax the playfield with carnuba turtle wax. (rub it on, let it sit an hour and buff it off with cotton scraps)

I rarely need novous 3 unless I'm cleaning off 25yrs of uncleaned grime and very dull clearcoat. I clean that with a little simple green and then novous 3 polish until it reflects my overhead light about as clearly as another area where the ball does not go. I normally do that by hand with a lot of elbow grease. Maybe get the dremel out to polish some dull mylar.

If you err on the side of caution, at least you will do no harm.

#3667 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

I thought with the transistors they either work or they don't? They shouldn't show the type of symptoms that he is experiencing.
That's what I've been told by long time hobbyists, anyhow.

Possibly - A dirty/bad flipper switch will make a blip-blip poor connection when pressed, which looks like multiple presses and the circuit goes from high flip power to low hold power too soon. (a phenomenon seen on WPC pins with the flipper button optos that are dirty or failing)

#3688 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I feel like the balrog should light up - am I imagining that?

Welcome to the club!!

Yes, there was a service bulletin regarding the early type LED flasher used in the Balrog. Marco has the kit.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5022-00

#3730 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

My game is on tile floor with plastic coasters under the feet so it is very hard to move/slide the front end sideways to avoid such drains if they are coming.

Loosen the front leg bolts a bit, so the cabinet has bit of sway, maybe about 1/8 inch or a little more. Leg bolts should not be too tight.

If you nudge too much, the tilt bob will let you know anyways.

#3734 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I can nudge no problem, I just don't slide the legs across the floor like some do to avoid the STDM that can't be stopped any other way.
Everything I have ever read or have been told is you want the leg bolts very tight. Wobble in the legs from looseness of the bolts is probably not good for the cabinet.

OK, I see what you mean. I have rubber cups under my leg levelers to minimize sliding as well. ("Any player who moves a game to the point it slides off of a rubber foot beneath the game’s leg will be given a score of zero for the game." - IFPA rules)

As far a leg bolt tightness - I go by this old thread where the general consensus is go with snug, and not too tight.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-tight-are-leg-bolts

1 week later
#3781 5 years ago
Quoted from the4Orr:

When the "post" releases the balls it comes up too soon, bumps the back of the ball sending it off the ramp

Welcome!

Make sure your balls aren't magnetized, causing them to stick together a little and not roll quickly. Others have had the same issue.

The cheap carbon steel ones are normally resistant to getting magnetized, while the expensive shinny ones will magnetize in a few plays.

#3844 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Do you happen to have a pic for comparison?
You know....those hobbits had a propensity for weed....maybe yours is accurate!

Some have also reported a green tint to the faces on their their playfield, like this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/55#post-4361525

#3877 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

For the love of god, I still do not understand why so many people put purple lighting in a LOTR?

My LotR came with a pink/purple 12v LED strip at the back of the playfield and a green 12v LED strip under the apron. It must have been a popular mod that was sold years ago. I see some LED kits include LED strips for 'front and back'. Mine did come with a full no-ghost LED kit installed also.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1024-pinballbulbs/01547-lord-of-the-rings-pinball-ultimate-led-lighting-kit

#3899 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Have a question about Witch King. How many shots are needed? I swear I hit at least 12-14!

You must immediately combo the shot for it to count! Left ramp and then right ramp, or right orbit and then right ramp. It takes 4 combos and its a pain, but it can be easier if you stack it with a multiball.

#3904 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m exploring some passive cooling options for my flipper coils. Anyone try anything like this?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cooling-flipper-coils-by-aluminium-heat-sinks-or-pc-fans

#3927 5 years ago

Flipper buzz was discussed in the Metallica tread a while back -

Tightening the coil stop against the coil minimizes the buzz. You could also use a tie wrap going all the way around the coil, coil stop and bracket better pull the coil stop in and minimize it.

1 week later
#4000 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

So my left flipper is strong when I press the flipper button lightly, and super weak when I press the button hard or slap it. I figured it was an EOS switch issue, but I've adjusted that a lot and nothing seems to help. Any ideas?

Start by cleaning and checking the flipper button leaf switch.

2 weeks later
#4104 5 years ago
Quoted from Fastfred:

when I win a free ball after draining the other ball/s the games stops and will not produce the free ball to come out of the trough.

Welcome to the club!!

If you turn off extra balls, everything else is OK?

Standard Audit #9 EB Limit ---> 0

1 week later
#4125 5 years ago
Quoted from Fastfred:

Thank you for reading this and if any help with info and pictures would be great.

Looks like some special coin mechs there. Here is a photo of my coin door which appears to be original.

lotr1 (resized).jpglotr1 (resized).jpg

That connector is unused on my LotR, and just has a mod connected.

lotr2 (resized).jpglotr2 (resized).jpg

One more:

lot3 (resized).jpglot3 (resized).jpg

#4132 5 years ago
Quoted from Fastfred:

I followed the black and white wire and it goes straight to the front right box hooked up inside the metal voltage area. Can you tell me where the correct way these wires are where they suppose to belong to hook up.

Took a quick pic inside the cab. I assume the florescent lamp wires are supposed to come from an appropriate tap on the transformer.

lottr (resized).jpglottr (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#4177 5 years ago
Quoted from lb1:

I see the left ramp right side wire either inside (as in the picture) or outside the stainless ball guide. Mine's inside and I was thinking about moving it outside.

Mine is outside, and I get a lot of balls flying off the ramp and landing in the shire area, like others have reported. I wonder if that is the issue.

Anyone else know which is correct?

2 weeks later
#4220 4 years ago
Quoted from Yodamingus:

I do have a full set of Cliffy Protectors Yet to install ... ( Not sure if i will Install all or any ) Opinions?

Mine came with cliffy protectors on the Shire and Gimli shots and they don't affect gameplay at all, so no reason not to.

#4246 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

How is the inner orbit supposed to shoot? When I hit mine, there is a 90% chance it hits the rubbers above the pop bumpers and bounces into the pops. Is it supposed to clear the pops and roll into the outer orbit?

Mine returns down the right orbit pretty reliably. Maybe you need to adjust the inner orbit ball guide.

#4251 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

The manual shows no part like this.

I checked Marco for lord of the rings posts. Is this it?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5332-03

1 week later
#4285 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Only machine they own and made a claim it has only been played 15-20 times ever

The total plays audit count is reset when the battery is replaced. As mentioned above, condition is key. Maybe the playfield was replaced to make it look like a nice HUO pin. Seems like inside the cabinet would be super clean inside, as well as the lockdown bar, with only a few plays.

Give it some plays, to see if it plays like new, and everything works fine. A nice working LOTR with no cabinet wear, nice PF, and no board hacks is very desirable in any lineup.

#4287 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

as soon as the ball is kicked from the feeder VUK into the shooter lane, the shooter switch is hit, thus blocking the skill shot on "lane".
Any idea on how I can manage that?

Maybe the switch is failing and sending a blip-blip signal, or maybe a wire is loose, causing the same issue. Try the 'active switch test' and see how it looks. (I think that is the switch test where the switch shows lit as long as you hold it.)

Also, it may just need to be adjusted a little, so it does not double blip.

#4292 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

From a collecting standpoint,Is it that big a deal to have a LOTR with Gandalf on the white horse?
The one i am looking at does not have that figure
Thanks

No, I don't think it is a big deal. Nobody says or asks which Gandalf is included when selling LOTR. Also the 500 LOTR LEs that were made a few years after the standard, don't have any figures.

The 'armies of middle earth' figures used in the standard were widely sold, and you can buy an NOS Gandalf and other figures from amazon or ebay.

#4303 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Don't think my magnet is working. Went to the tests; spinned/opto/switch are all ok but I don't see any magnet kickin' in.
What's the correct way to test it?
If it is not trigering, how can I pinpoint the issue?

Check the magnet fuse. (F20) If blown, try a 4A slow blow fuse.

#4317 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

My sister made this custom key rack for my birthday. Not sure I've seen anything like this before.

My keys are jealous!

key (resized).jpgkey (resized).jpg

1 week later
#4345 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

If I unplug and plug in the switch below the playfield, the switch toggles as if it's been closed.

Sounds like your switch is stuck closed or the actuator needs adjustment. It looks like the switch is wired to be normally open, but yours registers when connected.

Notice that your actuator is bent and mine is straight. I would start by checking that. You can also check the switch using a meter in continuity mode at the connector you mentioned.

IMG_6670 (resized).jpgIMG_6670 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#4379 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't understand why some machines seem to need a coil replacement (to boost flipper strength) and some don't.

Yes the original coils are strong, but the power fades a little after an hour of play due to the way the originals heat up.

Quoted from Pinkitten:

I did buy the medium strength replacements coils, but I haven't installed them yet.

You can install a fan to cool the originals instead of swapping them out.

3 weeks later
#4483 4 years ago
Quoted from Filmstudy:

So the question is...Does anyone know why the right VUK coil malfunction might occur when it appears the switch is working correctly?

Your switch is having intermittent issues and showing pressed when it is not. That makes the VUK coil fire, but the switch does not change, so the software thinks the VUK coil has failed and turns it off, but it still works in ball search, so you know the VUK is OK.

Open the switch test in the diagnostics and test it out a bunch and you will see. Maybe it is failing, or partially pressed and needs adjustment.

#4497 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

I'm wondering if they're superbands...

Superbands are not popular because they don't bounce like the original rubber, so there is less challenge, less opportunity to improve your skills, and they are typically not used in tournaments. Titan competition silicone is one option for multicolor that has a bounce similar to rubber.

#4503 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Blasphemy!!

I would have gone with Led Zep due to their Hobbit tie-ins 'The Battle of Evermore" and 'Misty Mountain Hop'.

GD and Hobbit tie-ins are lesser known. (Such as - Phil Lesh named his 2002 studio album There and Back Again. etc.)
http://danb.altervista.org/gdhobbit.htm

#4529 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

shipped conus

Am I the only one who had to google what a conus was?

1 week later
#4541 4 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Are the pop bumpers supposed to be weirdly shaped? trying to figure out if they are like that naturally or if mine has chips out of it.

Done to prevent any chance of stuck balls.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-pop-bumper-plastics

#4581 4 years ago
Quoted from Lazar:

How do I test the rectifier?

With your meter, you should see AC in and DC out. They can fail or maybe a bad connection.

A full wave bridge rectifier is a common power supply component. Plenty of info online.

1 week later
#4628 4 years ago

My goal is to improve my tournament play and strategy, which includes ignoring extra balls unless there is a lucrative point award, and trying to get good results with only 3. All my pins are 3 balls, no EBs.

That also makes play move smoothly when I have guests. If I'm playing a 4 player game with friends, I don't want things to slow down and have them wait too long while I play my extra balls. (I could just plunge them, but then they act weird, thinking I'm handicapping my play.)

#4633 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

both outline posts on their toughest setting as well as removing the rubber from both posts between the inane and outlane, and set the game on a 7.5 pitch.

Also use bouncy 'rubber' flipper bands, not mushy super bands, and set the flipper angle lower to make catching harder. (also, longer coil stops or plungers make the flipper throw less to make catching harder)

You can also misadjust the inlane guides so the ball is bouncing a bit when it rolls over the flipper.

Shorter "lighting" flippers are always an option. If you search for how to set up tourney pins, you can probably find chapters on the subject.

LotR is skipped in many tourneys but they have one set hard for use each year at Pinburgh and I noticed that it was used in the local tourney at Ground Kontrol when I visited Portland OR this week.

#4640 4 years ago
Quoted from liorillusion:

so i decide to do a project! to restore this machine and to make powder coating.

The decals look great! I would go with black T-molding to match the armor also.

#4661 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I like the hammered bronze look, see post 4639
(how do you use the link button? I press it and then what? )

To link to a post:
The post number at the top of the post is a link.
Open that link in a new tab, and copy and paste that url here.

post #4639:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/93#post-5144192

#4674 4 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Time to go back and read 94 pages of this thread. Don’t foresee much productivity at work this week...

I just skip through the pictures in the gallery to see what's up with a new pin.

1 week later
#4707 4 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

I think my high score in 10 games is around 12 million. Long way to go be get GC.

Welcome to the club. Ouch 12mil. Need more time playing and less time modding.

#4726 4 years ago

We have 120vac at the wall and use an 8A fuse in the US. (120x8=960watts)
You have 230vac at the wall, so a 5A fuse is enough. (230x5=1150watts)

Also, that appears to be a 3/4" long fuse, so make sure you buy one that is the same size.

Grab an inexpensive volt meter from the auto store while your out picking up fuses, in case more troubleshooting is needed.

Congrats on the NIB LotR, that must be an interesting story!

#4730 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

It was just a right time right place scenario. The original private collector bought brand new and stored for over 9 years. I had an opportunity to get a new le gold so I jumped on it.

If you have more unboxing photos, please post!

#4736 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Did the balrog test and it now Opens** and closes in the test

I'm confused. You wrote in your first post that the test works. Was that a typo?

#4771 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I have a few other ideas for the frame graphics I might try

Yup, maybe invert that image, and make the map black with gold text.

#4783 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Or he bought it at a convention and it was in the tournament.

That is a "TOPS" tourney system. You put in an extra dollar to enter the GC tournament for a set period like over 2 weeks, and it recorded who had the highest score, and the operator paid them cash at the end of the specified period. That displayed the score to beat, and the cash amount in the prize pool, etc. That is my recollection from what I read. I did see one running on Stern KISS back in 2015 at SFGE - can't remember if that used the digital display or just the cardboad sign.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5011-00

Retails for $400 and comes with a bunch of parts. Someone had one for T3 for sale on pinside for $200 back 2yrs ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tops-betabrite-tournament-topper-perfect

#4786 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

It’s also easy to see why people don't like it in group situations. My wife and I were playing last night and after 2 games she decided we should alternate single player games.

I like keeping extra balls turned off on my pins which keeps thing moving better when playing with guests.

2 weeks later
#4874 4 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hi everyone,
i installed a shaker kit into my LOTR LE today but the shaker isn't working, does this need to be turned on in the menue settings somewhere or is there a way that I can test it. The shaker kit is from pinball life.

1 week later
#4902 4 years ago
Quoted from jchybro:

sound made from all VUKs. I thought 3214727385-eject was balrog, but listening to it a few times, it's more like a cow or pig or something. Yes....what to replace with is a challenge.

Others have mentioned the odd VUK sound supposed to be an orc. (grunting?) Maybe a snarl noise?

#4931 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

As a result of the protector and probably just me reinstalling the left ramp appropriately the balls are flying off of that thing like nobody's business. Is the guy still making those brass air ball guards for the left ramp?

Yea, mine fly off the mid section of the left ramp and land in the shire fairly often, which started after waxing it 2yrs ago. (using original flipper coils, not high power) The protector keeps the ball on the ramp down by the lanes, which is not my issue, but not sure about your situation.

One trick I found was slightly loosening the ramp screws so it has a bit of wobble to absorb the balls energy, especially the screw securing the middle section of the ramp.

#4986 4 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Out of curiosity, what causes them to become magnetized?

The material used with the chrome balls seems to magnetize. I use the cheapest carbon steel balls from Marco, and the same balls have been fine for years in TZ, TAF, LotR and Metallica. Does your sword lock mech possibly have a loose screw or something and not secure and moving smooth? Is your playfield set to the 6.5deg slope?

#5013 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Housing league on Tuesday. What's ther best way to make ball times reasonable? Totally remove posts, or will just rubbers do it? Any other suggestions?

No need to go to crazy-
EBs Turned off. (extra balls = 0)
Ball save off (should be off by default)
Set posts to hard setting.
Make sure flipper rubbers are bouncy rubber, not superbands which have minimal bounce.
Make sure sling switches are sensitive.
Clean and wax the playfield.

Even harder, which I would skip-
Steeper playfield angle
Drop the flipper angle a little
Remove outlane post rubbers
Change global game setting to hard from normal. (harder to start MBs and relight modes and such)

#5023 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Thanks for the response. We've got some really good players. What I'll probably do is:

Extra balls off
Hard mode
Ball save off (is there a separate setting for multiball?)
Outlane post rubbers off
And maybe tighten up the sling switches a bit.

Don't forget to check the tilt tightness and number of warnings.

1 week later
#5089 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

looked in the service menu but say nothing to indicate what version I am running. When you restart the game it does not indicate version either. How do you check for version.

There is a setting for "quick boot" or normal. When your LotR is set to quick boot, you will not see the version at boot up.

#5150 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

One issue is that a left ramp shot will often send the ball flying, sometimes into the shire, sometimes into the left outlane. Any remedies to this?

Slightly loosening the screws that support the middle of the ramp gives it a little wobble/flex, which absorbs some of the speed and helps somewhat.

#5159 4 years ago

In the thread linked above, they make a point that I had not considered. Installing the Arwen protector under the center ramp support holds the center of the ramp up, deforming the ramp. Correcting for that should help! (Tuck the ramp support under the Arwen protector or raise up the bottom end of the ramp with washers, etc.)

1 week later
#5235 4 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Has any one had issues with the mod. Is there another way to get the led's to light up?

Is that a loose wire???

9e38f6758f237db887b73f3b14d36a4fa9cbc097 (resized).jpg9e38f6758f237db887b73f3b14d36a4fa9cbc097 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#5312 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

I'll start a game and immediately get Frodo + start a mode before plunging the ball. Oddly it seems to only happen at the beginning of games, but I still suspect ring optos need to be replaced.

I had the same issue. I think it was a flakey Balrog switch. That explains why it only occurs at the start of the game - that is when Balrog moves to the side.

#5323 4 years ago
Quoted from Fastfred:

My question is that when playing the game my Left Vuk #3 and Right Vuk #5 seems to be the coils don't have the power to kick the ball up as it takes sometimes a few times (each Vuk) as well as one time.

Coils don't get weak with age.

Are you sure the issue is not that the ball is just bouncing back out of the habitrail?

Do the mechs move freely by hand?

I guess that would leave a power or connection issue.

#5333 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Have a line on a near perfect HUO machine all original for $6K. Worth it? How reliable has this game been for you owners? I’m thinking about getting this as I want to experience the journey too. Long games, I’m all for it.

That's a great price and wont last. The pinside value is $5460 - $6340. I needed to correct some small issues when I got mine since it was used and not well maintained, but it has been reliable for 3yrs since and I doubt it will ever leave.

A recent podcast asked their listeners to redo the Pinsinde top 100 and pick the top 5 all time pins and requested the voters be impartial and unbiased and pick those that deserve. They picked LotR as the pin that should be #1 on the top 100.

3 weeks later
#5426 4 years ago
Quoted from Metroshica:

It worked, but now when I turn the game on, a ball isn't sent to the shooter lane and the flipper buttons don't flip the flippers.

You didn't break it by plunging too hard.

Is the coin door closed? When the coin door is open, there is an interlock to disable the coils.

No, you don't see the flipper buttons in the switch test.

#5431 4 years ago
Quoted from Metroshica:

I feel really stupid and I'd love to delete this to hide that.

Folks make that mistake all the time. No biggie. Welcome to the LotR club.

#5436 4 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

bracket on the coin door pushes both switches closed on mine

Mine too.

1 week later
#5455 4 years ago
Quoted from Mnluz:

23 secs to destroy the ring is very satisfying.
Game set to hold a ball on the ring

Great 2 ball DTR time!

#5459 4 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I’m curious what others experience with the right orbit and what I should expect on a properly setup machine.

Normally it should go somewhere on the right flipper. A faster shot would hit closer to the tip of the flipper than a slower one.

I would double check the left/right level at multiple areas on the playfield. The level may change a bit as the legs get settled also.

You may need to move the ball guide out a little where it ends above the 'spot ring' target, but it looks like a lot of work to get to that.

3 weeks later
#5495 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

How would I test power at the flippers?

You can read the DC voltage between a coil lug and cabinet ground. (with the coin door interlock pulled)

1 week later
#5521 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

My game completely quit registering Ring hits last night, I would shoot the ring (with 'start mode' lit) and the ring would grab the ball as usual, and then just drop the ball out the front (and not start a mode or pull the ball through the back). Am I right to assume an opto is to blame? I can run through tests this evening hopefully, just figured I'd ask before I go down the wrong path like last time.

The spinner turns on the magnet to grab the ball, and the opto there starts the mode and confirms it has the ball, so yes it sounds like an issue with that opto. Use the switch test to confirm.

#5525 4 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

What do you do with a Gollum VUK that the ball don't stay in the wire form?

Some have reported that the ball bounces out because the ramp is not secure. Make sure yours is not loose and bouncy.

#5551 4 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Did they make any play fields of this game that aren’t a washed out green color?

Some have the green tinted faces in the center of the playfield and some don't. Some also have misaligned color registration, which can be seen at the lettering around the ring LEDS above the flippers. With multiple batches (and suppliers?), variations occurred.

I imagine red LEDs in the slings or red spot lights there would hide some of the green. You can use your phone screen to shine red light on the center and see how it looks.

#5562 4 years ago
Quoted from K1ngFiasco:

I just wasn't sure if I was missing something that would be obvious to a more seasoned eye.

That is a standard. (black armor/legs versus gold, figures included, and no mirrored back glass) I don't see any of the expensive mods mentioned above.

Judging a "collectors quality" pin with an inexperienced eye is not a good idea. Example - The white targets are clean, so the pin has been cleaned, but it appears to have been played more than 3k times. (that number resets when the batteries are changed) In the photos you can see some wear around the Gimli saucer and small dings in the front of the cab. It was probably routed for a while, like many. Rust/gunk under the lockdown bar is common with routed pins and easy to confirm.

Always play a pin your interested in and see if you enjoy it and confirm everything works. Would be best to meet a local pinhead to bring along.

Bottom line, if you want it, go for it, but you will loose some money when you sell.

1 week later
#5594 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

i don't even know if these are triggered or just stay on.

I see you are not on Pinside often and LotR is your only pin, so to be clear, yes they just stay on all the time. GI stands for General Illumination which is the name used for lamps that light the plastics, and general lighting, that are not individually controlled.

1 week later
#5615 4 years ago

The diverter post is at the top edge of the orbit, so you can imagine that a slow rolling ball will pass under it and not divert, or a ball rattling around orbit will miss it.

2 weeks later
#5702 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Mine seems to miss exactly when I need it to finish DTR.

Thats the only time its used.

#5722 4 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

Anything I should know as a new LOTR owner?

Don't trust Golem!

As mentioned above, if you notice flipper power fade when they get hot after an hour, install the medium power coils or a fan. LotR has bad insert ghosting with LEDs, so I recommend sticking with incandescent bulbs for the inserts.

2 months later
#6142 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Hey all, I’ve got my sights set on a routed LOTR...it’s got about 3500 plays on it, kinda dirty, bit of shooter lane wear and the shire vuk guard is busted. Any thought on value? Does anyone make a replacement vuk guard? Thanks in advance for your help!

Play count resets with every battery change, so you have to inspect and consider the condition of everything. PF, cab, mechs, boards, gameplay, etc. Are you saying the plastic is broken by the shire VUK? The pinside price for LotR is $5550 - $6450. That is for good condition with everything working. Perfect condition would be higher and routed condition would be less.

#6146 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

If anyone is on the fence whether to order Franck's LOTR Mods or not, I say hell yes!!

That animated Palantir is pretty cool!

4 weeks later
#6218 3 years ago

Did the LE come with the SAM system, as opposed to the Whitestar on the standard?

Nope, both are Whitestar, which is why you can modify your standard to run the LE software and use a shaker if you replace a PAL chip.

#6222 3 years ago

How can I extend the wire? I'm assuming I'd have to solder more wore to the existing one, then heat shrink it?

Yes. Use similar wire to what is there.

Basic skills -
https://www.makerspaces.com/how-to-solder/

There are also kits you can buy and assemble and get comfortable soldering.

Also, you can just use a lighter or the heat from your iron to shrink the heat shrink tube if you don't have a fancy heat gun. The trick is using tubing that is not too big but still fits over the wires, since it only shrinks a certain amount and you want it snug in place.

1 week later
#6255 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

shipped it without the screw

I can see there is a flat head Phillips screw there on mine. You should be able to find a flat head screw that will thread in to the bracket at the local hardware store.

If the screw you find is too long, you can cut it shorter. Old school wire strippers like this include a simple bolt cutter that does the job. You can see it has a hole to screw in and cut a 4-40 screw. The head of the screw goes on the threaded side, so when back it out, it straightens the threads after cutting.
https://www.stanleytools.com/products/hand-tools/pliers/8-in-wire-strippercuttercrimper/84-199

You could use large cutting dikes in a pinch. Put a nut on the screw, cut the screw, and remove the nut to straighten the threads where they were cut.

#6261 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I always have better luck at a hardware store like ACE

Same here.

1 week later
#6277 3 years ago

Holding the flipper to view the status report should also tell you. Those MBs are hard to finish!

ff95ab02655fe2f1d5f9f025b8e1db0d35ba4b94 (resized).jpgff95ab02655fe2f1d5f9f025b8e1db0d35ba4b94 (resized).jpg

#6287 3 years ago

Mine appears more level. You can see there are 2 lines of wear marks from the ball on yours where it has sagged, and only 1 line on mine. Been a while since I have had that apart, but others may know the trick to adjust it.

balrog bottom (resized).jpgbalrog bottom (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#6323 3 years ago
Quoted from RobDutch:

The bulb behind the Palantir globe is always on/ghosting.

It should not be on all the time. Try the single lamp test in the diagnostics tests and check all the lamps and see when it is on. Maybe a bad diode in the same row or column of the lamp matrix? (or loose diode)

#6324 3 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

I noticed that the front speakers by the dmd are really low and barely hear anything from them.

Welcome to the club!

Does it have a flipper fidelity speaker upgrade? Those include a large knob that gets installed in the back box that is used to balance between cabinet speaker and backbox speakers which affects bass/treble as well.

3 weeks later
#6361 3 years ago

Yup, the manual shows WHT-VIO is used for the upper playfield GI string of 10 bulbs.

Also WHT-VIO is used for row 7 of the switch matrix which is switches: 23 right ramp target, 31 balrog open, 39 left ramp enter, 47 ring made, 15 4-ball stacking opto and a few others in the coin door: 55 tourney button and 7 5th coin slot.

#6366 3 years ago
Quoted from damelon:

I am always suffering from the "no cash when the right machine is for sale" syndrome.

There's a pin for every budget. Get a routed classic or EM for <1k and start sharpening your skills (playing and maintenance). The old titles are just as fun as the new ones in my experience.

#6371 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

I did find the 3 various flipper adjustments in the general adjustment menu (#53-55), played around with those default numbers but no change in the strength of the flippers

Yup, those are the settings. They don't seem to have any affect. I don't think they implemented that function in the software even though the settings are there and others have recommended it. (not sure about the LE version of the software, I have a standard)

I get airballs from the left ramp with the stock coils also. I have found that slightly loosening the center support for the ramp lets it wiggle and reduces airballs somewhat.

Was speaking to someone (or reading) recently and came across the idea that the plastic protector mounted under the center support of the left ramp may be flexing the center of the ramp up, and causing airballs. I should be able the tuck the support under the protector to lower it there. That is on my list of things to try.

2 weeks later
#6403 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

Machine plays great, minimal issues so far, but want to make sure there isn't anything I should be installing to prevent work in the future.

Looks nice. I see you have Cliffy Protectors installed on the Gimli and Shire areas. (metal protectors made to protect the wood around scoops and saucers)

You need a protector for the Arwen plastic or that won't last!

#6413 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

my ball is staying put after the animation and forcing the game to try to find balls

Normally after the animation, I believe the magnet blips to nudge the ball along.

Maybe if the opto there was not working, it may think the ball already fell out, and no blip is needed.

Go to the switch test and see if the opto there where the ball sits is working reliably. Maybe as simple as a loose wire.

#6421 3 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

ball fails to eject

Playfield angle normal?

1 week later
#6455 3 years ago

Also, get an inexpensive meter. Looking at a fuse is not how to judge if it is blown.

LED 202 comes after F22. If that LED is lit, that fuse is fine.

How about LED 200? That one appears to be for flashers. (looking at page 5of5 of the I/O Power Driver Board Schematic where those fuses and LEDs are located)

1 week later
#6496 3 years ago
Quoted from Antron77:

So my Ring has been randomly registering the last day or so. Random mode start or it registers the Ring when trying to finish DTR randomly. What should I look for?

One thing to keep in mind... a flaky Balrog switch/wire will also cause odd issues. (I would hit the start button and Frodo would register and a mode would start when the ball kicked in to the shooter lane, I suppose from the Balrog moving when starting)

#6497 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

I read some old posts about mirror blades.

Protectors are available for servicing.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-owe-an-apology-pinblades-mirror-blades-etc

2 weeks later
#6531 3 years ago
Quoted from Only68s:

Pm me if you need any plastics

pm sent for # "-20" Here is a diagram of each which should help:

lotr plastics (resized).jpglotr plastics (resized).jpg
2 months later
#6662 3 years ago

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/550-5059-01

I assume those are 1-1/16 inch posts. Measure what you have to confirm.

1 week later
#6685 3 years ago
Quoted from EBC_62:

I just joined pinside and LotR club in January and saw the mod of Gandalf staff.
My staff was missing so I made a quick and cheap solution with a plastic cotton swab staff, see picture attached. I added a 10 k resistor to dim the white LED, but any other value also possible or a pot to adjust it.

Welcome to the club. The staffs and swords were not included, so nothing was missing. Your lighted staff solution looks good.

Are you connecting the resistor in series or parallel with the LED? It also depends on the LED used. Do you have a link to the LED?

#6691 3 years ago
Quoted from EBC_62:

I added a 10 k resistor to dim the white LED, but any other value also possible or a pot to adjust it.

Adding more series resistance would make it dimmer, and there is only so much you can dim it before it won't turn on. Using a pot in series with the 10k resistor would work.

Clear explanation here:
https://stompville.co.uk/?p=37

1 week later
#6702 3 years ago
Quoted from TrekTobbyGermany:

Problem was the cable moving with the Balrog.

Yup, balrog wire also causes the issue, when you start a game, a mode immediately starts with the ball in the shooter.

2 weeks later
#6759 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

It's not a battery leak, because the battery holder is actually not on the CPU board anymore

You still need to take a close look for stains and damage. Battery acid can continue to soak in and cause damage after the batteries are gone.

#6768 3 years ago
Quoted from PoogiePrincess:

That's what I'm assuming is happening. But I don't know because in the switch diagnostics menu they trigger individually like normal. How would I test or solve that problem if it is that same row problem?

It is probably related to another switch activated in combination. (that's why switch matrix diode problems present themselves in multiball)

Try putting 1 ball in the sword lock and see if they act flaky then, etc.

#6785 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

So anyone would have any guidance on why my Balrog switch would trigger the shooter lane switch?

I also still have the slings triggering when they should not be, so I'm definitely thinking the switch matrix is causing problem, but how do I debug this?

The wires for the switch inside balrog can get frayed and broken. Maybe they are shorting to ground or another wire and causing issues.

#6803 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Shoot - I was hoping this would help me figure out what was wrong with mine! Haha. On mine, it’s my right flipper that is blowing the fuse. It takes a few flips while playing, but eventually the coil locks on and the flipper stays up until the thing blows. I’m reading 3.3 ohms on both the left and the right. How do I read the transistor to see if it’s good? And on the coil, do I need to check the diode separately?

Inspect the coil lugs on that flipper where the wires attach. It sounds like one is intermittently touching ground.

#6809 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Have a pic of which wire is the ground wire I should watch out for?

I mean, one lug may be touching the mounting plate.

#6814 3 years ago
Quoted from marioparty34:

Does anyone have a lead on replacing the ring optos? I can't find them anywhere. Mine occasionally starts a ring mode without a ball hitting it. They all register just fine in switch test mode with a ball. No anomalies or accidentally triggers either in test mod. Any help would be appreciated.

Remember, when starting a game and Balrog moves to the side, if there is flaky Balrog switch or wire which triggers a balrog hit, that will register as a ring hit with the ball in the shooter lane. Is that the intermittent issue you are seeing?

2 weeks later
#6874 3 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

My Balrog also has a hole in its head! Let me know if you find a solution.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/545-5083-00

1 month later
#6997 3 years ago

Skip LED-ing the controlled inserts or plan on getting an LED OCD board.

1 week later
#7030 3 years ago
Quoted from PinHigh1:

It's the 20 year anniversary of the movie debut...and some theaters ran re-releases. The anniversary is being marketed in various channels.

Doubt LotR will be remade. They can make an all new one, since Amazon is making a LotR TV series with a $465m budget.

‘The Lord Of the Rings’: Blockbuster Budget For Season 1 Is Revealed...

https://deadline.com/2021/04/the-lord-of-the-rings-season-1-budget-rebate-increased-new-zealand-1234736222/

1 month later
#7248 2 years ago
Quoted from Shenanigander:

Who uses the directors cut?

I recommend it. It turns off the annoying consolation Balrog, and generally chooses settings for best dramatic affect.

With the consolation Balrog turned on, you can enter a flipper code and then see a Gary animation when you hit it in that mode.

2 weeks later
#7290 2 years ago
Quoted from WildRover:

I wish there was some sort of voice call out to let me know how many souls I'm collecting....

I missed your joke? It does callout 250 or 500 more, etc.

#7298 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Any ideas on where to start? I don’t have much experience in this. Thank you.

In the manual on page 141 you can see F21 supplies 50vdc to J10 pins 4 and 5.
On page 8 you can see the list of coils that J10 P4/5 (yellow-violet) powers.
You can also see the control signal next to it for each coil, which all use J8 and J9 various pins.

Look over each of the coil lugs for the coils associated with J10-p4/5. Are any coil lugs touching ground or loose wires touching ground there?

Does the fuse blow with J8 and J9 unplugged? I doubt it is a bad transistor, that would just make the coil be stuck on, not necessarily blow F21.

2 weeks later
#7338 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

Hitting the left ramp often comes back down the wireform so fast that the ball randomly flies off the track back onto the playfield. Anybody else have to tweak something to get this behaving as expected with a smooth 100% return to the left flipper? Thanks.

Some other ideas..
- You can loosen the nut at the center support of the ramp so it has some wobble. (wobbly ramp absorbs speed)
- Confirm the center support of the ramp is not lifted up to install a plastic protector under it, which would tend to create more of a jump shape to the ramp.
- Confirm you do not have upgraded high power flipper coils installed to fix the flipper fade on long games and install the medium power coils to prevent fade instead if necessary.

1 week later
#7367 2 years ago
Quoted from jlatko:

the skill shot is almost always ignored

Are you timing your plunge with the middle light in the shooter lane? The 3 inserts select your skill shot. Orthanc only awards a skill shot if the center insert is lit when you plunge.

#7371 2 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

How smooth is the Merry shot for you guys?

Your yellow post rubber is much wider than stock. See how it hangs over the nut underneath compared to mine:

IMG_9873 (resized).jpgIMG_9873 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#7412 2 years ago
Quoted from Ed4pin:

How much does replacement of the incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs decrease the soot?

The heat from incandescent bulbs makes a lot of air circulation, moving the flipper dust around. It is normal to see the dust trails above every bulb in an old backbox. (You will also will see dust trails above heat sinks.)

lamp board (resized).jpglamp board (resized).jpg

Also shaker motors tend to blow some air around. I swear when mine starts, I feel a little breeze on my wrist from the end of the lockdown bar on my old JP1.

2 weeks later
#7493 2 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

Also Is there anywhere I can get the small figurines for the left sling? Mine are broken beyond repair.

They are on eBay. Search for: lord of the rings armies of middle earth figures.

1 week later
#7520 2 years ago

Match Feature
Std. Adj. 13, Match Percentage (Default = 8%) can be changed from 0-10%. Changing the percentage to 0% displays the "Match Animation" at the end of the game, however, will never match nor award anything. Changing this adjustment to OFF will not display the "Match Animation" nor award anything.

I keep a note in my LotR folder of ones I use or refer to:
===================================
Standard adjustment 45 fast boot = YES
SA 4 replay levels = 4 (tiers of replays or EBs) ->1
SA 6 Special Award = EB
SA 9 EB Limit = Unlimited -> 0 (extra balls are off like a tournament)
SA 13 Match on/off
SA 15 Tilt Warnings = 3
SA 30 Free Play = Yes
SA 38 Ball save
SA 42 Coindoor Ball save => Yes
SA 49 Tech Alert = coint door and startup
FA 33 Cave Troll = ON
FA 35 = 2 ball destroy the ring DTR = 1

#7522 2 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I know this is a beat to death topic also but flipper wise all you can adjust to calm them down is to set to low power for all coils right?

Not sure what #53, #54 and #55 are referring to.

Those are the flipper power settings in the software but they do not appear to work from what I have tried. I guess the boards used don't have that feature, so the setting does nothing.

2 weeks later
#7570 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

Anyone know exactly what the three coil adjustments do at the end of the standard adjustments? My left flipper could use a little extra and I couldn't find an explanation anywhere in the manual.

I mentioned a few times that those setting don't seem to affect anything. They are there in the menu, but not complete in the hardware/software as far as I can detect.

3 weeks later
#7606 2 years ago
Quoted from attyrhodes:

I'm considering trading my LOTR and some cash for a Hobbit. The prices for JJP seem to be sky rocketing and LOTR seems to have hit a plateau. LOTR is my first pin, anyone think it's a bad decision?

I have been telling myself lifes too short to keep them all. I recently moved along my TZ and TAF after owning for 5 years, and replaced them with others I wanted. No regrets there.

There are mixed opinions on Hobbit, but if you enjoy it, go for it.

#7622 2 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

I would be interested to find out as well. Also as another Pinsider just said to me he can't imagine Chuck E. having pinballs for many years now.

Looks like Marco has similar toppers for TSPP and Stern PotC "win bonus tickets".

Also found an old thread talking about location pins disappearing from C.E.C. 9yrs ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinball-disappearing-from-chuck-e-cheeses

#7630 2 years ago
Quoted from RazorV23:

must have mods

Color DMD and LED ocd are popular. I like the Sting shooter rod. It comes down to person taste.

1 week later
#7670 2 years ago

You can also add bouncy flipper rubbers, low flipper angle, tight tilt, turn off EBs, or just go to the installs menu and chose "Extra Hard" which makes everything harder to start, etc.

For me, no extra balls is The Way!

1 week later
#7708 2 years ago
Quoted from PCUR27:

I have an issue where during multiball when save is active, the ball ejector continually fires (Even without a ball to eject) and will sometimes fire for a short time after the ball save stops.

Sounds like a trough switch issue. Switches can stick or get stiff or a loose wire can work intermittently. Check the switch test with no balls in the trough, like when your in multiball. Also knock on the playfield a bit and see if any switch fires intermittently in switch test mode.

#7712 2 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Any reason my spinner is collecting POTD souls?

Nope. Check the spinner in switch test mode.

#7717 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

must be lucky. I have the PL flipper coils and I have no issues with any shots.

Those are the replacement high power coils. He is taking about fade with the original flipper coils.

Read more about those here -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/153#post-6531834

#7729 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

my stock coils produce fairly strong shots

If you play for 2hrs straight, you might notice them fading over time.

4 weeks later
#7801 2 years ago
Quoted from Sunsfan23:

Where should I grab a shaker?

FYI - there is a shaker motor mod thread that may have some answers.

1 month later
#7889 2 years ago

Looks like there are some inserts to the right side of the ring on the backboard. Maybe a lighted Mt.Doom plastic or sculpt was considered?

In case you missed LotR on Cobert:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-trilogy-ever#post-6681548

1 week later
#7891 2 years ago

where you have them aligned to the toothpick holes

The flipper bat should be centered over the toothpick hole on modern Sterns.

#7897 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

I have an extra LotR LE mirrored backglass. What do you guys think those are worth these days?

https://www.pinballprices.com/average-prices/lord-of-the-rings-(le)

Looks like 7k/8k have been typical but things are going up up up recently.

3 weeks later
#7923 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Balls are getting stuck here a LOT. What's the consensus on how to fix?

That clear plastic with post is on backwards. That happens a lot.

IMG_0624 (resized).jpgIMG_0624 (resized).jpg

#7942 2 years ago
Quoted from mbl1116:

Throwing it out there again, I’m going to look at a locally available game, what are the biggest red flags to watch out for on this title?

Beyond the typical pinball condition/wear issues, check in front of the balrog to make sure it did not scrape/gouge the playfield where it swings open if it was dragging.
Confirm the Balrog opens/closes without issues, registers hits, and lights up when hit such as in fellowship MB or when starting a game. (motor/gearbox is $179 from Marco)
Confirm the ring magnet works when you shoot the ramp to start a mode.
Confirm the fork switches work when a ball goes in the saucers.
3 white ELF ring LEDs above the flippers frequently burn out.
Cabinet wear around the flipper buttons.

Most of the above items are not deal breakers but you can point them out to the seller if broken when negotiating.

LorR is generally reliable so not many common issues.

#7945 2 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

what the heck could have caused this?

After loosening the crank to swap a flipper, it may have still been tight and someone did some prying to get the flipper out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 7.50
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 18.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
363 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Neal_W. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Neal_W.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=Neal_W and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.