pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lostcause.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4731 4 years ago

Picked up an LE last week, couple of issues which I fixed. Plays nicely.

CBBB4917-E946-4755-82D4-00E17DE5946F (resized).jpegCBBB4917-E946-4755-82D4-00E17DE5946F (resized).jpeg
#4741 4 years ago

Was working on my le yesterday, fixed a loose lamp or 2 and added the volcano mod with the red led glow which was joined in front of cab.
Turned on and within 30 secs the game froze, turned off and back on. Only lights on no display so open backbox and mpu board totally dead, now this is my first Stern so was sweating a bit! Checking fuses I noticed F11 fuse on power board looked slightly different but not blown looking, metered it and it was gone. Put new 3a fuse in as didn’t have a 4a and it has been ok but I have not plugged the volcano mod back in yet to see how it goes without it.
F11 fuse powers the mpu board I wouldn’t have thought an led or two extra would have caused that but the previous owner has put quite a few mods on it.
Hopefully just a fuse glitch as I have seen this before.

#4748 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Ugh, power problems are always a pain in the butt. The Volcano mod does not add any significant load on the 12v/5v circuit, but you can add only so many pennies to a to a full cup of water before it overflows
I would make sure you have the proper fuses on hand, then try plugging the Volcano mod in at the front of your cab while the machine is ON so you can see in real time if that is what is causing the fuse to blow.
Do you still have other mods installed?

Hi thanks for the reply.
I plugged the mod in earlier today after having a problem free weekend with it and guess what it went wrong again!
Blew the F11 fuse again so got my meter out and the volcano mod has a short circuit, it came new with the machine but not fitted.
I will leave it unplugged as it looks better than standard anyway. Such a shame.

#4752 4 years ago

That’s crazy. I wonder if it was modified by the previous owner?
Send me a PM, if you cover shipping costs I’ll send you a new one free of charge.
I’m curious what is wrong with that one you have...

Here is the thing, when I first fitted it the light was very dim to the point you had to look very closely to see the red glow.
Started a game and very quickly crashed, f11 fuse gone. Now it blows the fuse instantly as it’s short circuit. There was no sign of any interference with the mod and cable was wrapped as new. Only thing I can think is the back of the volcano where you have to bend cable to miss wire rails has an issue, next time I pull the playfield out I will have a look. I’m an electrician so you would have thought I would have got this right☺️

Thanks for the offer very kind of you, I like it even without the red glow anyway so will keep it but will post an update when I get around to looking at it
I’m curious too and will let you know.

#4754 4 years ago

Volcano mod looks great compared to standard on my LE even though mine isn’t lit.

A6C1C231-9239-4F8F-A378-A63D886853A3 (resized).jpegA6C1C231-9239-4F8F-A378-A63D886853A3 (resized).jpeg
#4768 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’ll be joining the club this weekend. I’m interested in the mod father sword mod. Those of you that have it on your game; can you still see the ball travel down the ramp? Also does it block the view of any other shots?
I like certain mods but I don’t want the gameplay to be affected negatively.

You can bend the brackets so you can view the ball travelling if you like, mine is slightly bent so I can partially see below. Nothing else is obstructed.

#4769 4 years ago

Perfect that you are an electrician
That LED circuit is pretty simple, just three 5v LEDs and each one has a resistor. Maybe one of the resistors went bad? My bet is the solder points at the pad need to be reflowed. The harness can be completely removed by heating up the hot glue holding it in place and removing. Maybe check for obvious issues at the solder pads and reflow the joints. If it looks fine at the solder pads, then it's a circuit issue.
Anyhow, just let me know whenever you get the chance - I'll be happy to send you out a new one
And, damn, your LE looks awesome!!

Thank you for the info, will have a look at some stage and let you know what I find but honestly I’m not too worried about it at the moment.
And yes I’m lucky to have found a nice one with no work or mods needed well maybe some speakers

1 month later
#4970 4 years ago

My palantir mod arrived today and it awesome! Thanks Frank.

71C5B8DB-FA91-4DE7-A428-CB61284545DB (resized).jpeg71C5B8DB-FA91-4DE7-A428-CB61284545DB (resized).jpeg
#4987 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record here, this is a game where many prefer the stock incandescents, me among them. Buy a set of Pinstadiums, connect them to the GI only, ignore the flasher connection, adjust them to a warm white, and BOOM. You have to see it to believe how awesome the game looks. IMO, Pinstadiums are the single best mod you can do to about any game. If you want to build them yourself then go for it.

I have LED’s with OCD and pinstadiums and it looks great, not a fan of pinstadium but this came with them fitted.
Having to move them when you lift the playfield really pisses me off as I forget!

3 months later
#5524 4 years ago
Quoted from scottieIA:

What do you do with a Gollum VUK that the ball don't stay in the wire form? It just seems wrong to watch it go up and down 3-5 times until it stays up. Sorry, I know this has been discussed somewhere but I can't find it. Can you turn down the power of the VUK? I was all over the menu but couldn't find it. Thanks!

I adjusted the ramp and levelled the shit out of mine but it would go back to falling out.
So what I did after watching it closely was put a small piece of thin plastic in there and it has not dropped once since.
Next time I take the glass off I will trim down a bit, but you really can’t see it when playing anyway.

53966287-FD4E-4BBB-BBC3-564BA8F9BE57 (resized).jpeg53966287-FD4E-4BBB-BBC3-564BA8F9BE57 (resized).jpeg8F24CFF0-1882-4278-8511-62271D656C2C (resized).jpeg8F24CFF0-1882-4278-8511-62271D656C2C (resized).jpeg6BF9B4BE-97FE-4630-8313-374CB995207B (resized).jpeg6BF9B4BE-97FE-4630-8313-374CB995207B (resized).jpeg382E6D80-41F7-4D4C-858F-F82890FA88BB (resized).jpeg382E6D80-41F7-4D4C-858F-F82890FA88BB (resized).jpeg
4 months later
#6217 3 years ago

Was cradling on the left flipper on my LE for some time and it stuck up so switched straight off, coil was very hot and smelled of burning.
Now when powered on flipper sticks up and returns down when powered off.
Do I just need to put a new IRL540NPBF transistor in and does the coil now need replacing?

So annoying was having one of my best games!

#6223 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The IRL540 should fix it. You might want to check your flipper fuse and make sure it isn't over fused. Often when the transistor shorts it will often blow the fuse and it sounds like yours didn't for some reason.

Coil still reads 3.6 ohms but smells.
Checked the fuse and it’s 5amp!!! What’s wrong with people. Going to check everywhere else now.
Looks like q15 has been changed before as all the other transistors have a red mark on the end of the metal case except that one.
Hope the track are in good shape when I take the board out.

6 months later
#6644 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Tonight felt like it was going the be the big night with LOTR...
Finished everything, still had 2 EBs, and started DTR for Valinor... Literally, the first shot hit the ramp post and bounced back faster than I've ever seen in this game right into the centre drain.
It was heartbreaking. I just stood there shaking my head.
Tonight wasn't the night

Oh man, gutted for you. Take a break and try again some day
Doubt I will ever get there but you just never know!

1 month later
#6752 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Another gremlin creeped up in my LOTR
Has anyone encountered slingers firing randomly, even when the ball is not touching them at all ? This has been happening lately, and I kind of wonder what would cause that.
It's not a big deal since in any case the slinger do work when the ball hit them, but I'd like to get to the bottom of it in case there is an underlying issue.
Regards

Maybe the leaf switches are too close and vibration is causing it but you would normally get multiple sling movement when a ball hits the sling.
Also check the connections/cables below.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lostcause.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=Lostcause and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.