IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KING-HENRY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8605 1 year ago

Anybody using these solid resin lit flippers? I like the look of them, and liked my score after installing them! BUT I feel like they are going to wear out my machine if I use these for much longer. Because they really blast through everything (more power because they are solid). Plus I feel like it’s cheating. Anybody care to chime in on these?

67226834-7F1F-4D41-A996-EA1DDF3CCA7A (resized).jpeg67226834-7F1F-4D41-A996-EA1DDF3CCA7A (resized).jpeg
#8608 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

My journey just began! I have what looks to be an almost new LOTR machine with a color DMD with what otherwise looks like a blank slate when it comes to mods. It looks like there are a lot of great options for this one, so this should be fun!
One thing I noticed is that it looks like a bulb is missing. Does anyone know where I should look to find the replacement part?
I was also wondering if there was a figurine missing where this vertical nail-like post is sticking up.
Finally, it looks like the Palantir target (which is begging for a decal of some sort) is really off-centered. Is this atypical?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations and welcome to The Fellowship! I scored my huo lotr really modded for 7K. Yeah, got lucky (how much did you get yours for??) and have installed yet even more mods paths of the dead, palantir globe, ring of fire mod, balrog lit whip. It’s pretty modded up. Color dmd, pinsound board (highly recommended!), orthanc tower, mt doom back insert, led ocd board, etc. it’s truly an epic pin, stock or modded!

#8620 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

This game looks beautiful with incandescents. I haven’t seen what an led ocd board can do but when I first got my game it had leds and looked terrible.

LEDS are not created equal! Mine came with comet LEDs plus an ocd board. It looks beautiful. Otoh, i just got a Spiderman shipped to me with led pinball bulbs and it looks lame. There are differences in LEDS

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8622 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Warm white comet led with ocd board and gizmo
Flashers still incandescent
[quoted image]

yeah same here, great combo.

#8634 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I can’t wait until the fire ring is made again. Coolest mod on LOTR

I can’t imagine my machine without it, and the balrog whip. And..and........lol. It is a truly rad mod.

#8640 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

Hello all you Lords out there!
Next friday i will turn into a Lord too!
Meanwhile i have some minor questions:
-What's the difference from the version from 2003 and 2009, i saw that there is two different versions but i can't find the differences.
-EDIT ( already found some photos on the forum, so it's almost like a bally / williams dot, i will just rent a bigger car ) EDIT Can someone show me a photo of the electronics in backbox, so i can see if is easy to remove the cables and unmount the backbox from the main box, to put it in my car, i do that with the new stern since there is not too much cables, but for the old bally / williams there is a bit too much cables to remove and i prefer to rent a car. EDIT
Thank you all in advance

Question..why would you need to take the backbox off?? Is this a geo metro? Because folding the backbox down gives most cars plenty of headroom left. Forgive my curiosity, but you DO know these backboxes fold down over the main cabinet, right? Yeah, the old pins bolted in and needed to be taken off. But anything above ‘82 or around there, folded down.

#8645 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Simply because in France many many cars (actually the majority) cannot accommodate a folded down pinball machine.
Mine does, but it's not the majority by far.

Yeah, I imagine that’s an issue alright. I’d immediately get a hatchback, and let that pin hang out, with tie downs. Preferably in dry weather lol. I’d be modding the car, way before taking pins apart!

#8649 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Joined the club today, game was only 30 minutes from me, people bought it brand new and it never moved. I don't think they ever played it after the first few years. Needs cleaned and waxed, rubbers, , older coupl, I don't think they ever had the playfield up.. looking forward to spending some time on it

Holy Crap! What a find! I bet you got a good price on it as well! Im a third owner of a HUO unit. I feel lucky. And it’s now modded to kingdom come.

9D12802F-440E-4BDE-9025-112449F7A893 (resized).jpeg9D12802F-440E-4BDE-9025-112449F7A893 (resized).jpeg
#8651 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

man.. where do you guys find these gems?? some site? local community / word of mouth?

I found mine on CL, picked it up New Years Eve ‘21. 7K. Came with a lot of mods already on/in it. Including colorDmD, ledocd board, flipper fidelity speakers/lights orthanc tower mt doom etc. added even more. Lots more. But still classy.

#8658 1 year ago

Hey guys, I just bought a MMr from a guy yesterday, and he has a brand new LotR playfield for sale, if interested or needing. His price is $800..not sure if he will go down on price. Anyways he’s here in WA state. Just passing the buck here.

2EB9182E-2CD8-439A-91EF-A237D7219E83 (resized).jpeg2EB9182E-2CD8-439A-91EF-A237D7219E83 (resized).jpegD6B1AC80-57DE-474E-837C-E8235A398415 (resized).jpegD6B1AC80-57DE-474E-837C-E8235A398415 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#8673 1 year ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Does anyone have any warm white LED suggestions that ACTUALLY look like incandescents?...temperature/color wise.
I currently have an LED OCD but incandescents still have a better color in my opinion. These aren't cointaker frosted warm whites though...

Believe it or not, these are LEDS with an osd board. I bought this way, so my guess is that they are comet warm whites

05840440-F4A4-476D-A49C-959806E24D0F (resized).jpeg05840440-F4A4-476D-A49C-959806E24D0F (resized).jpeg
#8676 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

When you get to destroy the ring, you hit the playfield shots, then is a ball supposed to stay suspended in the ring when you hit it and then launch another?I got to it yesterday, and it didn't stay in the ring, then launched another ball so I had two balls out, I hit the ring and it said destroyed and did it's little sequence. Then balls drained as flipper power was cut. Is there supposed to be anything after that or start game over. I thought I saw a video that said there is more to do but I didn't see anything

Check your fuse for the ring magnet..VERY common issue..if the ring does NOT hold your ball (when it's supposed to), then the magnet is not working..the Stern bulletin, back in the day, was a fuse upgrade on that circuit..I beilieve stock was a 4amp sb, and the 'fix' was a 5 amp..better double check though..It happened to my machine..the magnet is just too powerful for that stock fuse..has worked flawlessly eversince..the other ball shooting out, is not normal..it most likely did a ball-search, and spit another ball out..then you lost flipper power..I think the same thing happened to mine..it's the ring mag.

#8685 1 year ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Yeah can someone else confirm if the upgraded fuse is a 4 or 5? The manual states 4amp. I have a 4amp in mine (recently replaced because it was blown) and often times it won't 'suck' the ball back and just dribbles it. Wondering if a 5 amp fuse would solve that...

just look at the fuse matrix, in the manual, and it should tell you what's stock...I'd take my backglass off, but just had neck surgery. Or just search online..it's somewhere here on pinside.

#8686 1 year ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Anyone interested in this LOTR Topper? $190 + shipping. PM me

pm sent

#8687 1 year ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Yeah can someone else confirm if the upgraded fuse is a 4 or 5? The manual states 4amp. I have a 4amp in mine (recently replaced because it was blown) and often times it won't 'suck' the ball back and just dribbles it. Wondering if a 5 amp fuse would solve that...

EDIT: If the manual says 4amp, it's going to need a 5amp. And that lines up with my faded memory of doing this last year.

#8689 1 year ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Neck surgery...geez man I hope everything went well! That just sounds scary...

I’m Terminated! My neck was screwed (not literally) before. This second surgery should mostly do the trick! The pain!!

13AC5824-703A-447C-A17C-6CDE682731BB (resized).jpeg13AC5824-703A-447C-A17C-6CDE682731BB (resized).jpeg99A19E92-0E4E-4DD3-84F3-BA64B7303666 (resized).jpeg99A19E92-0E4E-4DD3-84F3-BA64B7303666 (resized).jpeg
#8690 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Looking to get and install a Shire cliffy. Thoughts on if this will need any repair prior to Cliffy install?
[quoted image]

I’ve never seen that trough so dark before..maybe just a unique piece of wood? But *almost looks like i saw water. Anyways, clean it all up, wax it. Perhaps get the shire stickers (like I have) to cover/protect it. Seems silly, but those shire stickers really help that area!

#8693 1 year ago
Quoted from WildRover:

HOLY COW. Man you are a machine! Here's to hoping for a smooth recovery.

Not trying to derail the thread, but THANKS BUDDY..Yeah, it's been17 days (we're not gonna last 17 hours! lol) since this second surgery..they did the bottom half-C6-7-T1 (top of my back)..I've been up since 5am, because of the 'healing pain'...no pain, no gain! My arms are killing me, but a LOT was done here..even the surgeon and his assistant said, 'you got worked'. I should heal up good..my life drastically changed when my neck started collapsing..couldn't lift a playfield up, let alone moving anything else..I should be staring in the next Terminator film, in about 6 months OK, back to the FELLOWSHIP!

#8696 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Wanted to add a topper but I don’t have much room. Any recommendation on how I can display the sting sword above the machine like this?
[quoted image]

backlight it..even tie in the modes to some GI lighting, via 5v ..so when the balrog goes off, it lights up blue behind it (with blue led of course) and there's just a billion ways you can implement it..

#8698 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

I was asking how to mount it up there but you gave me some good ideas for lighting. It would be cool being lit up with balrog

lol, I misunderstood, and another funny here..as I was looking at your Sting, I was thinking of those circular wire napkin holders, but you'd have to put more more ballast (weight) on the block..and that could be velcro'd to the top of the backbox...SO, using that napkin holder concept, come up with your own holder like that, which would be basically 2 rods, spaced out on each side of the base (like a tuning fork shape)..so that it blends in with the sword..the trick is not only hold it in x/y direction, but to also have the support disappear' ..just another .02. maybe wrap the 'fork' in black velvet? Hell, the base could be a piece of flat steel, and weld those guide right onto it..

Screen Shot 2022-09-18 at 3.12.01 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-09-18 at 3.12.01 PM (resized).png
#8701 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

After 10 years I finally got to Valinor. Bonus: on ball 1 Bonus 2: I scored like 37m as I didn’t know what I was doing. Got through most of the gifts and multiballs again, TABA a 2nd time, but ultimately fell.
[quoted image]

You need to put that in the scores section on pinside..you rank #18 buddy..CONGRATULATIONS!! how long was the game? that must have been one wild ride

#8709 1 year ago

I have these..https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1113-arcademade/05673-lit-kit-flippers-for-lord-of-the-rings-stern-pinball-mod
which I installed in my LotR..it actually got me a quick 75million..highest score so far (haven't had a lot of time on that pin)..anyways, I think they look great, but they are too powerful for the machine, imo..so I'm selling these..pm if interested. (I would rather have a light option on stock, hollow bats-if I had it my way)
$80 shipped CONUS.

IMG_8831 (resized).jpegIMG_8831 (resized).jpeg

#8732 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Finished the interactive topper. Soldered two wires to B and common on 12v led strip and spliced into balrog light. Lights up blue when balrog is lit.
[quoted image]

Good Job, well done! glad you were able to get the sword mounted, and go even farther with the lighting! looks really cool man.

#8739 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up using strong tape to hold that mount so no drilling

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you drill ANYTHING to the cabinet ..which I think I mentioned before. Glad I could give you some ideers, as the other guy about the knife holder velcro is also an option, but some styles of velcro can leave a nasty mess after time. BTW, I use progressive strips? cut to size, to place toys on playfield ramps, plastics, etc...removal is very painless, and doesn't hurt those materials.

#8744 1 year ago

Welcome to the Fellowship!

#8758 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Hey guys.. I believe my machine has been swapped to all LEDs (not sure if non ghosting??), with no OCD board. Is that what it looks like from this video? Path of the dead and flashers are the only incandescents I saw. So I can install an OCD to make the inserts flash a lot more smoothly?

In my observation there, it looks like those are ghosting bulbs. The LedOcd board will dramatically help this, but I don’t know how that board works with ghosting leds once you fix that, you will be in heaven, or the Shire. Take ur pick.

#8760 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

LED OCD states not to use “non ghosting” bulbs

That was my guess ..my setup is very slick with comet bulbs and ocd ..board.

#8781 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

Sounds like some minor adjustments. The pop bumpers are activated by leaf switches so make sure the contacts are about 1/8” apart. I’m hoping you added an ledocd board with the leds. This game has beautiful light dimming that leds can’t replicate on their own.
I also have a sticky shooter rod. I’ve tried cleaning it with novus 1 which seems to work for a little while. I’d be interested if anyone has a better solution.

I use the can of mesh called never dull’ it strips away any tarnish on any metals. I then use 90% alcohol and fish it off with that..wipe off with paper towels completely. Try not to touch the rod when installing and adding the spring, washer, e-clip. Build up of any kind is the bottleneck. This is what I do. Oil or grease is NOT going to fix it-only make it worse. Although I imagine 3-1 oil would be a quick fix. Remember any lube on that shaft will only collect dust. Lol. I’m sure other guys have different ways, but this works for me. For a while at least.

#8785 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

How do you clean the guide?

I do the same thing..but I run a wad of that never dull through it..bind it up and twist it in and out..do this a couple times until all the tarnish collects into the wad..then half- soak a pre-rolled paper towel in alcohol and 'twist' it into the guide, and pull it through from the inside of the cabinet, cleaning any remiaining resedue/tarnish..then run a dry paper towel through it, the same way..let air dry for a few minutes, and install the freshly cleaned rod. should be good as new (unless a rod is bent, or the guide is rusty/funky inside..this is at least what I do..ymmv.

#8793 1 year ago

I see your frustration on these mixes. One mix is better, musically, but doesn’t sound as good AQ-wise as the other. I made a king henry’s mix for demo man-i may very well do the same for lotr. Which would surpass anything I’ve heard so far. Film composer (of sorts) here.

#8798 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

So the available pinsound mixes are hit and miss, but does anyone have any regrets about getting the board for LOTR? (as in not as much value as you expected?)
And for anyone that has pinsound and color dmd on this game, which did you think had a bigger impact on your enjoyment of the game?
I'm focusing on sprucing up under the glass first on my newly aquired game, but I'm trying to decide what order to get these higher dollar purchases in:
(this is my current order)
pinsound
color dmd
invisiglass

Pinsound Plus board on LotR is, imho, a bigger upgrade than a color LCD Display..and I have both. It's funny as I don't really look up that much on LotR-my machine is fast and brutal, and unforgiving..usually you get a 'break' on other machines, with a chance to look at the dmd..for me, not so much on LotR..And once you get used to the original Howard Shore score on this pin, it's pretty bleak when you cycle through to the legacy pin track..I'm a composer, so music is more important than a DMD in almost all cases on pins anyway. This pin is ALL ABOUT IMMERSION..and the original score makes it even more immersive (like actually 'being' in the films..just my .03

1 week later
#8828 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Not really sure since I only ever loaded rhe one I liked and the original. I just loaded em all 1 by 1 and decided what I wanted.

"You will KNOW!" -in yoda voice-

#8830 1 year ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I have installed new cabinet speakers in my LOTR. They are Polk 4" two way.
With the improved high end, I can now clearly hear annoying 'hash' noise from the switched lamps. You will have to turn up your speaker sound to hear this. It is much more annoying in person.
I have an OCD board and had to move it from the back to the side. It is immediately next to the sound board. Before I go through the hassle of trying to move that board (again), I was wondering if this is a normal issue with Pinsound, OCD and Whitestar?

[quoted image]

that's definitely not normal..unless you got the volume pumped up to the max (just guessing there)..I have the same setup, minus the polks..Are you sure you got the ohms right on the new Polks? 4 ohms versus 8 ohms..some systems are 4, some are 8 (like my MMr LE). I haven't looked at the specs on Lotr, but you should make sure you have the right ohm speakers..also could be that group of wiring there, causing that sort of interferrence..just speculation here. I have a pinsound next to my OCD board..but mounted on the back box..check your grounds..make sure your OCD board is properly grounded. etc.

#8832 1 year ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Thanks. I am pretty sure that the Pinsound can use 4 ohms in stereo. Volume is around 20 on the LOTR cabinet control. Individual pots are fairly flat with a small bass boost.
The museum where I volunteer has a LOTR with a similar arrangement. I asked for a pic and they have both boards on the back, not one on the side. So I pried off both mounts and relocated them. It sounds good now, although I have to give it a more discerning listen this evening while I play.
The pic below is how I relocated the boards. Luckily, Pinsound sent two sets of mounts. OCD did not, but I have double sided tape that I used. I moved the Pinsound up a bit, then mounted the OCD board right below. That makes more sense. Don't know why I did not try that the first time.[quoted image]

that's exactly how I have my boards stacked in there as well...it's kinda tight, but it fits just right..hmm..don't go places in your head on that lol. Glad it sounds better..hopefully it fixed the issue..Mine is not completely 'silent'..there will be a tiny bit of noise, if you listen..I think that's totally normal. I'd have to give mine a listen now..

#8844 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Those were originally removed when installed at the factory so they didn't fall off and cause stuck balls on route, etc. It appears someone is selling a bunch here:
ebay.com link: itm

it's kinda OT here, and kinda funny..I took one of the swords from one of the bottom figurines, and put it in Gandalf's 'empty sword hand'..I couldn't take the fact he was ready to hold a sword, but alas, empty..not any longer! looks way better.

#8846 1 year ago
Quoted from DragonLord:

There is something cool about a wizard that can also wield a sword. Pretty rare in fantasy realm.

sometimes electricians are also plumbers!

#8856 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Hey folks, I don't know if it's possible to read the shooter lane so to speak, but how does the wear on this LOTR game look to you?
Would you guess HUO or routed game based on what you see?
[quoted image]

I'd take a guess and say it's was routed for a bit, then put into home use. I seriously doubt that kind of shooter lane wear could happen at home (for the last 19 years) unless the kids/grandkids played the hell out of it. Often times, nothing is ever waxed or taken care of, so it could be either/or I guess..what the above guy said about the rest of the cabinet/coin door, is spot on. I ususally look at rollover switches to see how worn THOSE AREAS are..that's my indicator of condition for me. (and everything else after that).

#8862 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Same problem for me. It hits it so hard it bounces back down the VUK or bounces far enough over and gets stuck against orthanc.
I don't love the idea of putting a big felt pad on new art blades or offering an expensive OOO model as sacrifice. Wish could turn vuk power down like spike2 games.

how about just putting a black velcro square there (the fuzzy side)? Mine works good, but I can see that it could indent the side of the cab over time...

#8869 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Mine is set further back, exactly the same as the other posters comparing the corner of the tower to the art and cutout in the playfield. Maybe the original screw holes for the VUK were misaligned on yours.
A quick fix would be to grind off the corner of that tower plastic so the ball fits past. A nicer solution would be file the 4 mounting holes in the VUK plate more slotted shape so it will mount back far enough.
[quoted image]

A MUCH NICER SOLUTION, is to buy the awesome 3rd party orthanc tower..it looks so much nicer, and has the blue leds on top..And I believe it will have a slightly different fit, which could fix the ball issue..Mine never hangs up there..mine hangs up in the POTD, after it's vuk'ed up to that level..in can sometimes linger on the inside corner where the orthanc is..I just nudge the machine once in a while..A permanent fix would be to level that potd from behind the pf, where potd sits in its' slot..But I agree with a few here that the VUK coil to POTD is too powerful..so there's many different ways to solve that. I dunno if this helped at all..mornin!

#8877 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Bob, can I take a look at the shooter lane before bidding?

no color dmd, no deal Bob. I wonder what retail of LotR was? I'll take a gander and say $3999. Anyone else want to guess, before looking it up?

#8881 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Just joined. HUO. Arrives soon. Can’t wait. No dick. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

wow that's a pretty unique LotR..welcome to the fellowship! what's with the 'no dick'? anyways that looks pretty nice, actually..Not a fan of the apron, but I AM a fan of that backglass!

#8884 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I just figured it fell under “things Aussies say”

LMFAO...Yeah, now it makes sense..Hey! At least I don't have the LE version! That dick is REALLY outlined on him, eeek.

#8885 1 year ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

People say the original translite that this looks like one
[quoted image]

hopefully you have, or can get the fire ring mod, from France..it's the best mod for this machine, outside of a pinsound board, ymmv..LEDOCD board, palantir globe, balrog whip, orthanc tower..the list is endless on mods..but it looks like your new machine has a lot of it already..really loving the bronze plating..one day I will do the same to mine.

#8895 1 year ago
Quoted from TheNecromancer:

Ok, so I'm really torn and I kind of understand that being the LOTR club it may be somewhat biased opinions but I have the chance to trade my 7 month old (450 plays) 1 owner Jurassic Park Premium for a well optioned LOTR.
My heart really wants the LOTR as it's my favorite books and movies since high school. I'm a huge fan. Jurassic Park is also a favorite of mine but not at the level LOTR is. I've never played the LOTR pin, but I've read enough to know that I doubt I'll be disappointed. The hang up comes to the value. With tax and shipping and a couple mods I'm in JP for $10,200. The LOTR game has a lot of cool add-ons such as the path of the dead, palantir, eye of Sauron, power blades, speaker grills and a color DMD. There may be other small things but I don't know the game well enough. The cabinet does have some scuffs on the lower left side, not bad but there. I also realize the game is 19 years old too. It's said to 100% working order.
The reason I purchased JP in the first place is while originally looking for a LOTR a dealer talked me out of it as I was knew to pinball and kind of scared me away from an older game as a first machine. I've since added a POTC and while still a noob I'm already a lot less intimidated by an older machine. So when this somewhat local LOTR surfaced recently as a trade I've really been thinking about it. In 2016 I looked at buying a LOTR and they were trading for around $4000 - $5000 at the time which seemed pretty high and I backed down thinking if I wait a few years they would be cheaper. Well, that didn't really work out for me. I can't help but wonder if I wait another couple years will I be looking at these machines for $12k or $13k? More? I feel that if I take the trade I may be losing around $1000 on my end but I guess you don't really ever recoup tax and shipping. Maybe it's worth it to get the Holy Grail pin for me? Should I just be patient and save up for another year or so and find one then? I will like try to find another JP in the end as those were the three goal pins but who knows, maybe I find something I like more than JP too. I find JP as a noob to be a hard game.
what are you're thoughts? would you trade even if it favored the seller?

Based on your passion for the LotR world, I would take that task on, and find a NICE one...worst case scenerio; you do the trade, eat $800-1K, enjoy a NICE LOTR (BUT IT MUST HAVE A PINSOUND BOARD WITH THE FILM SCORE!!!) for a while and then resell it and maintain all or most of what you put into it (or maybe more, depends on economy, etc). Honestly, there's a sea of JP2's out there..and not so much LotR's anymore..because most are gobbled up by collectors..It would be a lot easier to find another JP than a NICE LOTR. and it's one of the most immersive pins out there (haven't played ALIEN yet..and I want to..supposed to be super immersive). If you liked the films, you will love the pin-with a pinsound board and a few good fan-based pinsound mixes (you can have multiple soundtracks for a pin with a pinsound board..you switch between mixes by turning the volume all the way down, then back up to get to the next soundtrack..and put the legacy files in there as well). PLEASE SHARE PICS OF THE LOTR YOU ARE LOOKING AT-CONDITION IS KEY ON A DEAL LIKE THIS.

#8904 1 year ago

+1000 on the fire ring..One of the best mods on my LotR! I can't imagine the game without it. And I have some hefty mods on mine already, so this speaks very well for the fire ring, or 'ring of fire'...Currently, I'm trying to source a clear acrylic sting sword (with the elvish engravings), to attach over the metal sword ramp (on the right)..I have the handle mod, but this idea of mine is pretty good, actually..because you will be able to see the ball travel through the clear acrylic sword..AND it would light up blue when something interesting goes off in-game..like balrog or something else. I just can't find and make a clear blade to complete my vision. *it would be lit at the base of the sword, going straight down through the length of the blade.

#8909 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Agreed. After reading KING-HENRY banging on about it every 2nd post, I was thinking I’m going to have to sell the damn pin unless I can steal one from someone

LMFAO...

#8912 1 year ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

i bought one yesterday too. i also bought a palantir mod. Aparantly is a second version. saw the Video and its soo nice. it now shows more, not just the Eye.

what else does it show?? link?

#8916 1 year ago
Quoted from adrock:

“we carried out a recent update of the control system with an even more efficient card than the previous one, with a higher storage capacity which now uses information from the switch matrix for interaction. This allows to have an additional animation in the hole of the Gollum which is reserved for him with a cult moment of the film.”
He posted that and a video here
https://www.2niro-pinball.com/palantir-lord-of-the-rings/1883/

that's friken AWESOME..SO, it's a little video monitor, built into the back of the palantir globe???? If so, Meesa wants one...who wants my old Palantir Globe with just the eye? (lol) ..

#8918 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

When you develop it, you should send one to me for free. Excellent idea!

Don’t make me regret my decision just to keep the standard eye one!!

That’s funny man . Go put another shrimp on the barbie, and I’ll get crackin’ on sourcing the sting blade. Cheers mate!

#8920 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

We call them prawns. Bloody Paul Hogan sold us out.

bummer~! But at least he knows what a knife is! ymmv

#8925 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

All his Palantir's have a screen, that's how the eye is projected with movement. I am guessing from the translation that the proprietary controller (the box with his name on it) is just more capable now and can show additional footage specific to other switch events rather than just the single switch under the globe.

ok, now I'm really confused on this..it's been a dog's age' since I installed the palintir globe..and I guess it had some sorta box that attached underneath the playfield...I thought the static 'EYE' was just a printed peice of paper/artwork, and NOT VIDEO...Is this not true? Because if it does acutal video, then I want to upgrade the box to the current active 'scenes' of animation that he's got going on! (Unless I bought a different variation from someone else..don't remember). Mine was the $200 big globe version with the static Eye of Sauron, btw. ANY INSIGHT ON THIS BOYZ?

#8926 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Noice!
Edit: seriously though let me know if the upgrade for the new crystal ball thing is worth it.

"worth it" is in the 'eye of the beholder'..My honest opinion is that The globe is worth it, but not a deal-breaker imo..UNLESS it has the ability to be upgraded to the other video stuff that he's doing now. It's a sexy mod, don't get me wrong, but I always lean on 'form and funtion'..So it's a toss-up in that regard..but if live video is fed to this thing, ABSOFUKINLUTELY.

#8932 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

There is another possibily more than one other version made by other people that is static i.e. just a lit photo. His has always been animated i.e a screen aka the best one.

looks like I bought the wrong one! Can't win them all..At LEAST I got his fire ring..I didn't know this even existed.

#8949 1 year ago

Bought mine almost a year ago for $7K (poor score) from a 2nd owner of a HUO LotR in REALLY good shape, and with LOTS of mods..I basically poor-scored it. Had the Orthanc Tower/Mt Doom mod, LEDOCD board, Sting Hilt, Flipper fidelity speakers/backlight, speaker lights, LCD Color DMD, and maybe some others I can't remember..I've since added the fire ring, Palintir Globe, PotD setup, Balrog Whip (a must!), flipper armor (not installed yet), and hopefully getting the 2niro Palintir v2 globe..then get all the metal gold chromed at some point, shooter rod/start button..if I really want to go that far. Definitely want to get invisiglass soon...totally necessory on this pin.

#8958 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

It's not any added lights. It's the factory spotlights near the two yellow dome fashers at the outlanes
But now that im in front of the machine again, that might work for someone not too tall, and not leaning forward. This mock up barely works. This photo is about 1-2 inches above my eyesight and you can see the glare.
[quoted image]

interesting, as I have zero issues with this..Is that an LCD or LED DMD? If it's LCD, I have mine on the full-filled lcd pixels..which is probably not even a related thing, just something I observed. I also have potd mod, and my own modded setup with that, that does two things..it illuminated the dead kings, yet blocks the green spots from line-of-sight; winwin. *BTW THIS IS MY VIEW FROM MY PLAYING PERSPECTIVE, in the pic below*

IMG_9546 (resized).jpegIMG_9546 (resized).jpeg
#8964 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

You can see the glare in this pic.[quoted image]

I don't know if this is the case, and I've never received a NIB color DMD; they came with machines, but it LOOKS LIKE there's still factory plastic still on the DMD face! That would totally reflect worse ..I hope I'm right, because what an easy fix..ignore if I'm wrong!

#8965 1 year ago

looks like a wrinkle in what 'appears' to be protective film, from the factory. lotr DMD (resized).jpglotr DMD (resized).jpg

#8967 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

problem happens even without film (i suspect it would be even worse without the film!)
in my photo in (#8954), i definitely removed the film.

Try disconnecting the aron light and go from there. Make sure your room lights are off when doing all this. You’ll find it

#8983 1 year ago

just a headsup, in case someone needs a NOS playfield, there's one I saw for sale here, on marketplace..I think it was $1200..not sure if he wants to ship it or not..if it hasn't sold yet.

#8988 1 year ago

It must be LotR woes month~! My game freezes at the moment, when too many things happen at once..haven't even troubleshooted it yet, but it 'could' be my pinsound plus board with the thumb drive that's too large?..It just seems like it's trying to catch up with all the events/modes that 'stack up' and stump the machine, thus freezing and basically shutting the flashers/game into a standby mode. I'm going to put a smaller thumb drive in it (and make sure it's up to par with the board)..I currently have 3 soundtracks in it. I think the leeland? mix is too beefy for the cpu, with the HQ large files on it (theory).
I was testing the legacy ST in it, and it seemed like the magnet/etc was working much better, until I flipped too many targets, then it finally gave in and shut down (well, not literally turn off). Any thoughts/XP?

#8994 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Is it rebooting? I can’t quite tell from your description.
Generally I think on these whitestars if you have a reboot when a lot is going on, there’s usually some 5v voltage drop causing it to get close to the reset threshold.
On my LOTR I had that issue. Measured 5v on the CPU board and driver board and there was a bit of a dip I think on the driver board, it was a while ago. Anyways, the fluorescent tube can make the connectors right by it go brittle over time. I was able to get mine to reboot just sitting there by poking at one of those connectors. I reseated it and 5v measured better/pretty close between the boards, no more resets.
Eventually it’s probably best to replace those connectors. I took the fluorescent tube out and replaced with an LED backbox panel to stave off any further issues.

Hey, thanks for all the cool scooby snacks here! I bet you are right *and the other guy that said it's most likely not the pinsound board USB drive* I don't have a flourescent tube in my machine; it's got an LED light board in there..but I will definitely check/and reseat all the connections in the backbox..and come to think of it, i did move all of my machines from the basement to upstairs, so I can imagine things getting a tad loose..hell, even by age as well. I'll report back and I should also check 5v on the CPU, but I honestly don't know the proper precedure on that..the idea of putting leads on chips is a tad risky, imo..but gotta learn it anyways! sorry, just had a cup of coffee, and I know how to type..

1 week later
#9047 1 year ago

Selling my absolutely beautiful LOTR ...just listed on pinside https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/147909 11,500 or trade for Alien LV in perfect shape/no errors.

I also just ordered a 2niro Video Palantir v.2 Globe which is in the mail..I want to sell that separately, and without a profit..the same cost as I payed to get it to my door..

#9049 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Hey KING-HENRY sad to see you go. You’ve certainly had a lot of enthusiasm for this game. Thanks for all your help. Hope you enjoy your alien as much.

Hey thanks a lot I appreciate that! I have a much larger collection now (22 machines probably around 9 machines when I got LotR last year). I’ve enjoyed the machine, but I’ve actually enjoyed modding this particular machine even more. If time or space and money weren’t an issue, well I think none of us would sell anything lol. Keep the fellowship strong Sir! Cheers!

#9066 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Has anybody ever tried to put a post on this spot on the POTD mini playfield? I am guessing that the ball drops on to Arwen would be reduced significantly.
[quoted image]
Speaking of the POTD, at the back of the playfield, where that plastic has a tab that has to be inserted into the back panel. After I got the slope where I wanted it to be, balls started hanging between the top post and Orthanc, where even rocking the game a bit wouldn't get it to roll out. It has always done this, but not as often as it did once I made the adjustment to the legs.
I came up with what I call the five cent solution.
Literally, a nickel sandwiched between that plastic edge and the lip it rests on. It's snug, but it is only a short term fix. It will do until I come up with a more expensive and permanent solution.
Thinking about shorter spacer posts on the cabinet edge. Anybody found a way to avoid that issue, at least most of the time?

this worked for my game..mostly..I did this about 8 months ago or more, when the ball would hang up at the SAME EXACT SPOT. So I wedged some dense foam, where you put your 5 cents in it pretty much solved it, and haven't had really any hangups..just a few 'stalls'..so I'm not the only one that thought this (issue and fix/hack)...cheers..

#9075 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

I was going to install a flasher strip that mounts on the back of the game and bottom of the cabinet. Never got that far, once I realized I lost power to the dmd I started looking into that. I have lighted speakers and upgraded speakers so it’s particularly tight in the bottom right side of backbox so maybe something got pinched or shorted but I don’t see any signs of that and ive taken it out plenty of times with no issue. I put in an old dmd from a b/w game I had but nothing came up on dmd

It doesn't sound like a DMD issue to me..sounds more like a fuse/and/or harness issue. Please test all the fuses out of the cuircut (fuses can look and test fine, in cuircut!)...even check the main fuse at the transformer. Then test continuity on the wires AND connectors going to the DMD..sometimes the connectors get pulled out from the seats of the wires (and in your case, this stretching could have done this). That's about all I can give you at this point..Chris Hibler is a good repair guy if you end up having board issues.

1 week later
#9125 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Turned on my game and the sound is dead. Game plays perfect. Measured voltages and all are there and correct. Amplifier makes initial noise. I reset all Eproms and connectors. I pulled fuses and checked them. None blown. Speakers are still attached properly. I'm completely stumped. Anyone have a similar issue and possible fix? I've had this game since it was NIB in 2003. It's been HUO in my game room. I've had had pretty much no issues all of these years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't want to assume any skill level here, but are you using batteries on your game? I'm assuming you very well know what alkiline batteries can do to boards over time..anyways, have you gone into the sound settings in the system to verify there are no sounds? Have you played with the volume controls in the coin door? Maybe the amp section on the audio board needs a recap? A hum suggests that it is still amplifiying, so I'm just throwing some potential food for thought here...Have you checked speaker connections? I believe it starts with one of the backbox speakers, then gets fed down to the woofer..see if any of those +/- leads have fallen off...good luck, hopefully someone else can chime in with better suggestions..I currently have a pinsound board in mine (hightlly suggested with different soundtracks/better sound etc).

#9128 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

I got the "full Niro" last week (palentir, baradur, and ring of fire)! Can't wait to get them installed after all this holiday craziness calms down.

what's the baradur mod? Dammit, I didn't need to know he had another mod..lol

#9148 1 year ago

Well, #3 is obviously Spiderman then.. Still lurking here, like Golem..not sure why..maybe becuase I put so much effort into my pin..but sold it, and getting an Alien LV. I just didn't play LotR much after my collection grew. Different strokes..

#9164 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Fantastic! I found my current LOTR in 2018 from the original owner, who rarely played it. It was absolutely stock. Since then, I’ve added so many mods (my fav pin to mod) including Niro Palantir mod, flaming ring, potd platform and figures, Cliffys, LEDs with OCD board, color DMD, ring shooter rod with red acrylic, alternate translite, etched acrylic, volcano mod, Arwen ramp/slide by RedShiftLED, and more. I have the shaker you can customize to react by triggering specific switches, but haven’t installed yet. I should install my separate power supply first. The one major mod I don’t have yet is Pinsound. I’m tempted after hearing yours!

DUDE, WITHOUT PINSOUND, NONE OF THESE OTHER MODS MATTER

#9171 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Is there video of your pinsound mix? I haven’t going anything on Lotr that I like.

I'd have to take a video of it..I just sold it, but it hasn't left yet..I have 3 sountracks on mine..the original, and the two others that are on Pinsound..If I had kept the machine, I would have made my own (made a cool mix for Demo Man) . Both have good stuff going on..but one sounds better, but a bit darker in theme with the OST. I'd do a mix that suited both. If you want a vid, pm me

#9173 1 year ago

here's my google drive link to the pinsound mixes..these are just basic demonstrations of the feel of each one..The first 2 videos are the first soundtrack, the 3rd is the 2nd ST. This is a last minute throw together thing..now I see that my machine is freezing (flashing back pf lights (you can briefly see it at the end of the last video (when I throw my hands in the air, lol) ..now I have to figure out this issue before it gets shipped out It could be the massive usb drive I have in this machine, for the sound files..If anyone can tell or help me with what that is, I'll buy ya a 6pack! Anyways, blessing in disguise before it gets shipped out. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E2Oy6LdIfguaV9yzGZ2K6_9OBadqMKmZ?usp=share_link

#9174 1 year ago

Now it won't boot up..just boots to the Stern logo..I've had this issue a while back..pretty sure it's the ring mag fuse..which I've replaced a few times already..If anyone can help me fix this, I'd really appreciate and help return the favor..I'd rather have the problem than my buyer!!!!

#9177 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Make sure pinsound has latest firmware?

actually haven't even checked that! I better go on their site to see how-to do that, etc..I think that's a BIG possiblilty..or check 5v on the driver board/connectors..it's weird, it plays great until a certain shot or something is made, then it freezes..

#9178 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Make sure pinsound has latest firmware?

I owe you a 6-pack... Sure as shit, that did it (and a factory reset). It's flawless now..WILD..You know what's wild? The fact that I was willing to share the joy of a pinsound (via google drive) in LotR, and had I not done that, I would have shipped out a 'flawed' machine, meaning I would have had to try to troubleshoot with the new owner..that's Karma I guess! Thanks Mate!

#9180 1 year ago

OT, but if anyone here owns a Demolition Man, here is the mix that I made for a Pinsound setup...Game-Changer! (and not looking for donations, just try it out and lmk what you think https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/file/367-demo-man-king-henrys-ost-remix/ I'll post this on the demo man thread as well. AND I HIGHLY SUGGEST UPDATING THE FIRMWARE ON YOUR PINSOUND BOARD..now my LotR plays steller, and even better than before (ring magnet etc isn't wonky).

#9185 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

You don't need to download or run Pinsound SW to install the soundpacks on the USB stick, it's just a matter of uncompressing in a folder each zip file and put it on the USB stick.
Pinsound SW is only needed if you want to play around and change these packs. I actually don't think I ever used it myself (not in any meaningful way)

yeah, the pinsound software is NOT necessary..the only feature I saw that was convenient, was the volume-matching from various tracks/callouts. Of course, I'm a music composer, so ymmv..I throw everything into Logic Pro (mac) and edit, mod, engineer, and export to any format is needed (.wav or .og etc). Then just replace the orig. file in the appropriate folder, throw it on a thumbdrive, and bingo.

#9186 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:That's a big collection for 1yr!
There are lots of generic threads about spinner balance and spinner tuning. Easy way to pull those up is google: pinside spinner adjustment

I might have that beat, lol..3 years into pinball (4.3 years collecting vids) and at 21 or 22 pins

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
$ 25.00
$ 18.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider KING-HENRY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=KING-HENRY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.