pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HEAD_boss_HOG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7662 2 years ago

Is it just me, or does the layout of LOTR seem all too "FAN LIKE"? I mean, the six shots to play the game are in the upper part of the PF, and are easily made. It seems like its just practice repetitions sometimes when I play it. I suppose that's why there are very long ball times on this game; it is a novice player's dream layout, kinda like Monster bash. I'm curious to hear Owners' opinions and comments as related to the layout being quite easy/simple, and more geared toward novice players, as opposed to more moderately and advanced level players.

This game is still great; dont get me wrong. Its tons of theme integration, and fun as hell. I just think it would be hard to have in a lineup without much more difficult/challenging games with more demanding layouts and punishing missed shot drain potential.

If it weren't so expensive, I'd probably own one of these. I really like Gomez layout designs (owned a JM, and currently own a Corvette, his first ever game as credited lead designer). I think Gomez does very well at creating smooth shots which feel kinetically satisfying; kind of like Keith Elwin does on his games. I hope Stern has a release in mind with Gomez as primary lead designer.

Best wishes and have a great week everyone!

Hog

#7680 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

The layout may be simple but actually beating the game (getting to Valinor) is fairly difficult. It's easy to start modes. Not so easy to complete some of them. Same applies to the 3 main multiballs. You have to successfully complete them in order to get to Valinor. That's the draw of this game. I agree long ball times can be a drag sometimes. Beating the game often involves a game that lasts over 60 minutes unless you are a world class player that can beat the multiballs and modes on the first attempt.. I had a 1h30 long game a few weeks ago.
If I want short games I go on MMr or SW.

I see your point. just because its an easy shooter doesn't make the game's ultimate goal an easily achievable accomplishment. Here, as with all games I suppose, code is the ultimate equalizer, and a powerful tool to render a game a "must have" for a collection. I've never gotten terribly close to beating it, but have enjoyed very long games; I kept thinking how easy it "seemed," but had no clue where I stood relative to the final goal and beating the game's several, if not dozens of objectives fully. I want to understand the code better; but that's the case with every game I own, and every game I have ever flipped. Maybe in 2022 I will make it a resolution to become well versed in more pinball code and objectives. For now, I hoard games if I can afford them, and just flip to stay alive and see what happens while playing with my kids.

#7681 2 years ago
Quoted from killerrobots:

I own a good amount of machines and if my wife didn't have a vote this would probably be the one I would keep if I could have only one. For me the shots remain really satisfying, each game is different and there are high level goals that keep you coming back. Honestly the biggest thing for me was getting a Pinsound system so I could change up the callouts because they can get old (particularly the path of the dead). I also love my Deadpool so I think Gomez is a good designer for me. I would say that this machine shines in a home environment. It is also popular with people who come over so it really checks all the boxes. The art is meh but it is not a big deal to me. I don't mind the long ball times but it is not a great game when you only have a few minutes to play.

I agree with your opinion. Gomez has alot of acumen at designing great feeling, satisfying shots in his games; hence Deadpool's success despite not being a widely appreciated theme (see also: Johnny Mnemonic, which has enjoyed a recent resurgence in popularity despite the theme lacking ANY popularity, and having NO voice actors from the actual film). Gomez's games always feel smooth, accesible but demanding, and exceptionally fun in general. LOTR is no exception, as we all agree. I still think that LOTR is his best design, and hope that someday, he designs a game for Stern which can match that exceptional effort in design and shot layout. JM has a wide variety of short and long shots which make it an exceptional shooter. It requires the player to be ready for ricochets, and be reactive during the game. Plus, Johnny Mnemonic is probably the fastest game I've ever played, which makes it unique and a skilled player's dream game.

LOTR still lacks a quintissential mech which integrates the theme, IMO. the ring magnet is cool, don't get me wrong, but the ball does nothing in that spot. It is a cool experience to hit the shot and watch it freeze, to be sure. However, all magnets in every game still do the same thing: FREEZE the ball in place. So it is still a bit of a "ho hum" experience for the player. the dragon bash toy is just another, albeit shallower, shot to schedule; does not sufficiently affect the ball and general feel of the game during gameplay.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Do you all wish there was more "ball interaction" from this game? I picture the perfect mech, kinda like the monkey in WOZ, which literally lifts the ball and places it into another PF. That is COOL! Something makes me wish for a mech in LOTR which either disappears the ball, or removes it from the main Playfield and replaces it in another spot. I guess I get a high from the ball being diverted and moved physically by the mechanical elements on or under the PF. I suppose we will never know, but I'm still longing for something like that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HEAD_boss_HOG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=HEAD_boss_HOG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.