IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Archytas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#360 8 years ago

Hi all,

Just recently joined the club after acquiring a really nice LOTR which was my grail pin number 2, the game has never seen an arcade and has been used in the home all it's life, if the audit is to be believed it has had 193 plays, the cab is near perfect and has no wear around the flipper buttons. It even still had the little unopened goody bag which contained the keyring and spare bulbs/spinner decals. Probably the closest I will ever come to owning a NIB game.

Aside from a colour DMD the game is pretty much stock in terms of bulbs and I'm looking to fit an LED OCD board and put some LED's in, generally I get these from a local supplier as I'm UK based but for this game I'd like to do something special and put Comet LED's in.

Looking on their site there is so many options for LED's, can any recommend which ones to get for the GI, backboard and under playfield lights?

Thanks!

#362 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Comet's "sunlight" colour is amazing for GI. I have literally hundreds of them across all my machines. I think the main thing with LOTR LED choice is keep it warm and earthy.

Thanks, do you just use these for GI? What do you use for under the playfield and backboard? I will probably keep the game 'earthy' with a bit of colour here and there. I was thinking a bit of green around the slings and perhaps some red round the pops but not a huge amount that makes it looks like a huge multicoloured mess.

#364 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

These are the only photos on my phone at the moment. Yellows, ambers, warm white and red underneath. One green each side for GI on the slings makes it look quite "Shirey". A bit of red in the GI around Balrog is appropriate. I colour match the green inserts. If that's the brightest colour you go with on the inserts it pops in a subtle way. A lot of people put green on the POTD but I went with purple and like it, with some green above it on the backboard.

image.jpeg image_1.jpeg

Thanks, that looks really good. I will look into the "sunlight" bulb when I come to LED the game!

3 weeks later
#374 8 years ago

Here's a question and the ONLY issue I'm experiencing with my game currently. The VUK for Gollum shot is too powerful. What I'm finding is the game kicks the ball up with such force that it goes up the ball-guide, right round and then hops over the edge of the lane straight back into the VUK. Does anyone know if this coil has settings? I've looked in the menus and can't see any and the game is leveled properly.

#380 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Is the Destroy the Ring Champion time display a factory setting? Can you turn it off? I don't see that listed when it shows the high scores and I would like to.

Default should be "EYE" with a time of 10 minutes. When you beat it you can put your own initials in. It should show up in the settings, perhaps look under where you reset the scores?

Also thanks for the info Busa. Will check out the coil settings.

3 weeks later
#412 8 years ago

Quick question, if anyone knows. What is the purpose of this post (circled in red)? I'm finding every 5 or 6 times the ball comes down the wireform out the ring so fast that it hops of at the last 'curve', over the edge and gets stuck between this post and the wireform and no amount of nudging or shaking will free it. I have to take the glass off and push the ball down into gollums cave. For the moment as a temporary fix I've removed it and put a rubber round the top of where it screws into to see if when it does hop over the edge it might just roll onto the hole instead, but I haven't had it happen again yet!

Post_(resized).jpgPost_(resized).jpg

#414 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

It looks like you have the post and washer mounted on the wrong screw. Check out mine.
IMG_9933_(resized).JPG
IMG_9932_(resized).JPG

Thanks, that was just an example picture as I couldn't get one on my machine but I will have a look when I get home.

2 weeks later
#505 8 years ago
Quoted from pin2d:

A few questions, apologize if I'm being a bit lazy by not looking enough on other threads for answers on these:
1. The mech that kicks the balls into the shooter lane to launch - is there a way to protect this area or have it kick out more "softly"?
2. Sometimes when the ball is coming down the Aragorn sword or the squiggly wire ramp from the ring, the ball lock plastic doesn't go down in time and the ball hits it. Is this normal?
3. I have white noise in the background on the speakers, which seems to be a common issue. Is there a cheap way to get rid of this?
Thanks for any help!

1. Yes, there is a coil strength setting in the game menu, can be set to low, medium or high. I set mine to low though and found sometimes it wasn't kicking hard enough to get the ball into the shooter lane, so left it at medium.

2. Never had it happen to me, but I imagine yes if it is travelling fast enough this could totally happen.

3. No idea, sorry!

1 month later
#569 8 years ago
Quoted from Jimmyapple:

Added el wire to the sword. Finally done.

image.jpg

I think you are mistaken sir, I see no color DMD in that game still

1 month later
#706 7 years ago

Just wanted to share what I finished doing today, a mixture of Comet LED's and ones sourced locally (I wanted to get comet ones - add something special to the game!) Thoughts? Also added an LED OCD board and did superbands while I was at it.

20160513_215635_(resized).jpg20160513_215635_(resized).jpg

#709 7 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Very nice! And I'm far more on the "keep it original" side, but this is really well done.
The only thing i don't get is why I see purple in LotR again and again. It doesn't fit the machine or the theme at all. I'd exchange the 3 purple ones on the backboard behind the path of the dead with green ones and the machine would be perfect.

I'm giving it a go - the purple does actually make a nice contrast but I have green ones I might try substituting in

#726 7 years ago

Getting away from the ball times argument currently dominating this thread...

Does anyone know where I can buy a topper for LOTR? I think lasserric(?) used to produce this one but can't find it for sale anymore.

lotr_topper_(resized).jpglotr_topper_(resized).jpg

I'd like to get something similiar to match my T2 topper, I'm not keen on putting minifigs on top of my game (the last owner did this and it has left nasty patches where the hot glue kept them in place). Or if anyone has one of the above toppers and is willing to ship overseas I'd be greatful.

Thanks!

#730 7 years ago

Decided to get rid of the purple's and go back to green above the POTD, looks much better. Interesting to try though! Such a small thing but can make a lot of difference, also swapped the reds and oranges above the ring and mount doom around so it fits better.

20160517_210847_(resized).jpg20160517_210847_(resized).jpg

#733 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is a Matt McKee topper that has long been sold out.

At that's a shame, really liked the look of that one but would be after any with that sort of style.

10 months later
#1472 7 years ago

Possibly if there is shipping to the UK.

1 year later
#3038 5 years ago

Fitted my Mount Doom mod today from PinballCharlie - took 10 minutes and plugged nicely into the PowerTap I have set up in the game (too many mods that use the same connector!). I can claim first fitting in the UK too!

20180610_124416 (resized).jpg20180610_124416 (resized).jpg

#3055 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I've noticed a lot of games have the Galdalf on his horse figure, but mine has this one. Anyone know why?

Mine also has that Gandalf and I know for a fact it is a late run. (Early 2003 runs in the UK had skill posts, mine is I believe from 2006 as it has none, I wish I could verify but the manufacturing date sticker on the back is torn off). I'd say the explanation that they ran out of figures so this one was used in later runs is pretty plausible.

7 months later
#3615 5 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Curious question for all you LOTR owners. Why does the LE have lower ratings than the standard game. Is it because of the figures being absent? Is it the back glass “dick”? Do they play different? I would think the LE to be the better game because of the thicker clear coat. You can always add the figures and other mods to match the standard if that’s what your into, but gameplay wise is there a difference?

I guess it's just hard to think of the LE as an LE, as it's a from a time when Stern were only just starting to think about doing special editions of games. The actual gameplay and playfield doesn't vary at all, neither does the game's artwork. I believe what the LE had was the actual glass with the infamous dick, gold rails, a LE number? Gold legs and of course absent figures. I think it also has a shaker fitted too. Why it has a lower rating however, I have no idea, apart from the missing figures it's exactly the same game. And as you say, just buy figures and add them in. I don't understand why the LE has a lower rating at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Archytas.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=Archytas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.