IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1907 Service bulletin noting lock down bar change Posted by Jarbyjibbo (6 years ago)

Post #4404 The Valinor Strategy Video Posted by CLEllison (4 years ago)

Post #5383 LOTR documentation for silicone rings and LEDs Posted by Daditude (4 years ago)

Post #9244 TECH:PLAYFIELD Opto Driver replacement board warning Posted by PinMonk (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adaminski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3581 5 years ago
Quoted from SDTMinSTL:

So I am reaching out to ask for some help. I have been chasing an issue I keep having with balls becoming magnetized. I have searched and searched on pinside and I have done the following

Trying to think through the problem for root cause, and I wondered how all balls could get magnetized after only a small amount of games. It usually takes a while...

Then I thought - where do the balls hang out a lot? The trough. Google search showed someone else with this problem recently. Some suggestions there, but I would go further and try to find out how the trough gets magnetized, if that is the case.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-trough-is-magnetized-help

-Adam

3 months later
#4230 4 years ago

Hi-

Multi part question:

(1) I'm replacing rubbers and cleaning up as much as I can without a full playfield teardown. I note that the plastic behind the Gandalf switch, under the ring ramp, is bent upwards (see photo attached). Was it like that from the factory, in order to make ball mostly go towards pop bumpers and Barad Dur when it falls forward out of the ring magnet or off the top of the ramp on a weak shot? Or did a previous owner "mod" this in order to perform the aforementioned tasks?

I found some good playfield restoration pictures, but have not seen (or may have missed) a photo that shows how this plastic is supposed to go.

(2) The OCD part of me wants to just continue taking off all parts in order to do a really good cleaning. However, the practical part of me wants to take off just enough to get all new rubbers on, clean playfield surface and plastics/metals as best I can with naptha, use Novus 2 as best I can on available surface, wax, and put back together.

It looks like a challenging and time consuming task to remove enough to do a good playfield cleaning (and I've read that also on Pinside). Plus, I'd like to put LEDs in inserts sometime, and have not purchased LED OCD or researched in detail what bulbs to get, so it won't happen now.

My wife loves this game best of all, and I kind of want to minimize time down while we wait for her Willy Wonka LE. I've pretty much decided to let full teardown go, unless someone can advise otherwise...

Thanks,

-Adam
IMG_2979 (resized).JPGIMG_2979 (resized).JPG

#4232 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

I've pretty much decided to let full teardown go, unless someone can advise otherwise...

Quoted from PapaKilo:

Yep the plastic is supposed to be angled like that to kick the ball towards the pops/tower.

Thanks PapaKilo !

Also, I went ahead and took off enough to do a decent cleaning and replace a few incandescent lights with new for now!!! Looks OK to put back together after cleaning...

IMG_2987 (resized).JPGIMG_2987 (resized).JPG
#4236 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hi Adam,

Your plastic behind Gandalf looks good, however it looks like you might be missing another plastic protector (unless you removed it).

Here are a couple photos.

Thanks, snaroff that photo helps. I have the plastic in question and had already taken it off. It was not really affixed properly, so now I know how it's supposed to go.

#4249 4 years ago

The post in the photos below came off the left front of the sword ramp (player's perspective). It holds the right side of the Gimli VUK wire frame. See photo in post 4235 above https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/85#post-4989412 ). Note that the washer on my post does not come off - the top of the post has some metal flared out.

The manual shows no part like this. It shows 8 posts with 10-32 thread on the bottom and 6-32 thread on top (item 14 on page 69 of my manual). None of the other posts have the washer stuck on like this.

Can I just file off the top so I can remove the washer, then easily slip on the new Titan post sleeve? Or has somebody modded this because there are problems if the washer on top can go over the top of the post? To re-assemble, it is post with sleeve->washer->Gimli VUK wire form->washer->nylon lock nut.

I though that I had to get the post sleeve on as described here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-replace-rubber-posts-on-lotr

But even with further guidance from LTG I cannot get the post sleeve on.

Thanks for any further guidance.

IMG_2991 (resized).JPGIMG_2991 (resized).JPGIMG_2992 (resized).JPGIMG_2992 (resized).JPG
#4255 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Looks like that post has seen better days. The washer isn't supposed to be trapped on there by that lip. File the lip off and remove the washer, slip the sleeve on and you should be good to go.

Quoted from Neal_W:

I checked Marco for lord of the rings posts. Is this it?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5332-03

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The threads on the top of that post are trashed. Just replace the post. I'm not sure if that washer even belongs there. The post that neal_w linked above does appear to be the correct post.

Yes, that is the post. I didn't realize it was so bad, or I would have ordered some with my last PBL order. I did order the upgraded left ring ramp post. That puppy isn't going to bend.

I'm cleaning, waxing, checking screws & connections, and replacing all rubbers in an attempt to get my LOTR ready to volunteer for our local pinball/arcade show (deadline 5/15 if I want other volunteers to pick it up), and my wife wants me to get the Precious back up and running. So, I'm going to try and make it work for now, and order some replacement hardware on my next order.

Thanks for the help!

#4257 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey Adam,

Since you have your machine pulled apart, you might want to inspect/protect the wires to the right of the sword ramp. After 15 years, the sword switch wires were cut and the ramp gate were beaten pretty badly.

Thanks for the heads-up. A previous owner took care of the sword ramp wires. I will reinforce the ramp gate wires with some shrink wrap.

IMG_2995 (resized).JPGIMG_2995 (resized).JPGIMG_2996 (resized).JPGIMG_2996 (resized).JPG
#4262 4 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Speaking of the sword ramp, I recently picked up my LOTR and noticed sometimes when returning round the right orbit it looked like it changed direction and then went STDM. So I removed the glass today and took a closer look and I noticed there was an orange wire hanging in the orbit, does anyone know what this is supposed to be attached to (probably needs re-soldering)? But I'm not sure where. Maybe it's the orange wire from Adaminski picture above. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Yes, like snaroff , I expect that the orange wire is for the Aragorn sword ramp gate switch - the gate that is triggered upon entering the ramp. Re-solder to the bottom of the switch as in my photo. This is assuming that nobody randomly switched wire colors on a repair, and that the connector under the machine is plugged in correctly. Might be good to make connection without soldering (alligator clips are helpful), and use switch test mode in diagnostics. Dig down in menus until you find switch test grid. Manually move a couple switches so you can see how the switch test mode works, then move the ones in question.

When re-soldering, make sure you don't melt the switch.

-Adam

#4301 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Zero way that is 20 or fewer plays. On the other hand, 5k is probably what it is worth...in fact...that may still be low for it.

That's similar to what I was going to say. If it plays OK, then $4500-$5000 would be a fair price. Some TLC would make it look much better. I think working LOTR won't go much lower as long as it's not trashed.

But, you could wait for a better one and not have to put as much work into it. And also pay $5500-$6000 (or more).

1 week later
#4342 4 years ago

I tore down a lot of my LOTR upper playfield a few weeks ago, put on all new Titan rubbers, cleaned & waxed the playfield, and had it working perfectly. Volunteered it last weekend for the NWPAS (http://www.nwpinballshow.com/) and had a lot of plays. It came back in mostly good shape.

One problem that has me baffled is the right ramp (Aragorn sword ramp) enter switch is not working. It just won't register by activating switch. My wife had trepidations about sending the precious to play with all it's pinball friends, and I want to make sure it gets repaired quickly! Please help me if you can. Below I detail troubleshooting I've done and ask questions. If everything is OK, then maybe it's just the switch.

I know there is no diode on this switch (above or below playfield). I have photo of it in working condition before my partial shop (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/86#post-4995619) and after (first photo below, with heat shrink).

If I unplug and plug in the switch below the playfield, the switch toggles as if it's been closed. I note that one of the wires on the harness side of the switch does not go back to the harness, yet I cannot find another severed orange wire (2nd photo below). Can someone look at their wiring and see if it is the same? The other 2 switch connections below the playfield at this location (rail ramp exit and right ramp made) have both wires going back to the harness.

Thanks for any help you can give.

To give back, a quick report on the 2 other problems found after a high-play weekend:

1) Titan ramp post rubbers cannot handle a weekend of freeplay with thousands at the show (3rd photo below). Oh well, I'll replace them with harder basic black post rubbers. I would not even buy Titan post rubbers for home-only use. They won't last. I do like the Titan rubber rings so far.
2) Palantir switch got bashed so much the metal leafs behind it got stuck together. This was probably going to eventually happen, as we play a lot at home and my LOTR has upgraded (ie, higher power) flippers. This has been fixed.
IMG_3126 (resized).JPGIMG_3126 (resized).JPGIMG_3123 (resized).JPGIMG_3123 (resized).JPGIMG_3124 (resized).JPGIMG_3124 (resized).JPG

#4349 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

From what you say I would pronounce the switch dead and simply replace it.

Quoted from DumbAss:

For your information (and education) ... the switch in question is 25. It's labeled in the manual as "DOTS" = Diode On Terminal Strip. There is a diode. It's on the matrix and therefore has to have a diode.

Quoted from Neal_W:

Sounds like your switch is stuck closed or the actuator needs adjustment. It looks like the switch is wired to be normally open, but yours registers when connected.

Notice that your actuator is bent and mine is straight. I would start by checking that. You can also check the switch using a meter in continuity mode at the connector you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback!

DumbAss also helped me directly. Tested switch with multimeter and it is stuck closed. I think a friend has an appropriate replacement switch, which is great since Marco is currently sold out of direct replacement.

I have some extra Titan post rubbers that I will use to replace the battered ones for now, and order better ones, along with a couple switches.

#4352 4 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Since you have extra, make sure you add a post rubber to the deflecting post beneath the play field behind the tower. You’ll need to trim it a bit but it’s worth it. Over time my orbits have gotten more reliable with stopping the ball during Ents mode as a result of this install.

Already done last month. There was a rubber on that pop-up post behind Orthanc, but it had worn down so much it wasn't working anymore. Thanks, and good reminder for anyone else.

#4362 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

One problem that has me baffled is the right ramp (Aragorn sword ramp) enter switch is not working. It just won't register by activating switch.

If I unplug and plug in the switch below the playfield, the switch toggles as if it's been closed. I note that one of the wires on the harness side of the switch does not go back to the harness, yet I cannot find another severed orange wire (2nd photo below). Can someone look at their wiring and see if it is the same? The other 2 switch connections below the playfield at this location (rail ramp exit and right ramp made) have both wires going back to the harness.

Quoted from Nihonmasa:

From what you say I would pronounce the switch dead and simply replace it.

Quoted from Neal_W:

Sounds like your switch is stuck closed or the actuator needs adjustment. Notice that your actuator is bent and mine is straight. I would start by checking that.

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Not to state the obvious as it was already mentioned (but since you didn't mention that you tried adjusting the switch arm) are you 100% positive that it isn't just registering closed because your switch arm is bent in such a way as to always register as closed?

Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Throw the old switch away but keep the metal actuator from it. You never know when it will come in handy. Also, you can order about any microswitch from Marco and simply move the metal actuator on the broken switch over to it.

Thanks again to everyone with the help. It was a dead switch, not the actuator. I had a new fork switch for the Gimli/Shire VUKs. I carefully removed the fork, put the actuator from dead "right ramp enter" on the new switch, soldered, put heat shrink tubing on, and successfully bench tested, reinstalled, and play tested.

I also put new post rubbers on the 4 beat-up ones, and fixed the Palantir leaf switch. Good to go!

The new fork actuator is carefully stored. Now to order some better post rubbers and extra microswitches.

IMG_3137 (resized).JPGIMG_3137 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#4554 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

The shaker mod I wasn't impressed with for all the trouble it was to put in on a non LE game. I barely notice it at all especially with an external sub attached (which seems to shake the game more than the actual shaker).

Interesting. I don't have a sub, and love the shaker on LOTR.

LOTR (not LE) was our first pin in November, 2018, we played for awhile without shaker because the cord from shaker to backbox had become disconnected in the move. Once it was fixed and working, we all thought the shaker made the game much better. The feedback when you hit Balrog in FOTR multiball is great - get the rumble, and know you have to hit the ramp. We also liked the slight rumble when you collect fellowship members and during other parts of the game.

But, our LOTR came with upgraded ROM and shaker already installed by previous owner.

Someday, I'd like to get Pinsound and upgraded speakers, but don't feel the need for a sub. I've heard the different mixes, and would like to try them.

#4561 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Sillyoldelf side art is the only way to go especially if you're a fan of the books imo. It's not called "Lord of the Valcanos".....

Quoted from ktownhero:

This is true from a pure art standpoint, but I think it's important to mention that the sillyoldelf side art is extremely difficult to install and really requires that the whole playfield be taken out.

I bought these:
https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/lord-rings-path-pinball-sideblades/
SillyOldElf look just as good (maybe better), but many times they are listed as "Out of Stock." I ordered from Retro Refurbs on 4/24/19, they were shipped 5/3/19, and I received them 5/11/19.

I can confirm that the Retro Refurbs were also difficult to install on LOTR. The electrical connections from backbox to playfield are not as simple to remove (although I assume they are possible) as on a modern Stern. My wife helped me, but we did not take the entire LOTR playfield out. I'm pretty sure that we started at the front and worked toward the back, with playfield starting in vertical position. (It may be that it is easier to start at back - I'm unsure.) We went in sections, removing only several inches of the backing at a time. To get around the playfield in the vertical position we kept the backing on for about the last 1/3 (from back to vertical playfield), and bent/curled the decal between playfield and outer wall. Wish we had recorded the video.

For my Stern Star Wars, I removed all electrical connections, had someone help me take out the whole playfield, and then put inner art blades on:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/install-inner-side-art-on-stern-pro-spike-system#post-4950253

-Adam

Obligatory pictures:
IMG_3679 (resized).jpgIMG_3679 (resized).jpgIMG_3680 (resized).jpgIMG_3680 (resized).jpg

#4563 4 years ago
Quoted from Lazar:

We are excited to be a part of the club today. After a few games, we got a bunch of errors and none of the VUK are working. Anyone have an idea about the following switch errors:
1) Balrog hit
2) 4-ball trough #1 (left)
3) Balrog open
4) 4-ball trough #3
5) 4-ball trough #2

Here is some reading (from my bookmark list, including one of my posts) to get you started on Balrog and VUK switches (Gimli is same as Shire).I have not messed with trough issues.

Balrog switches:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-balrog-switch-activation-problem
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balrog-removal

If Balrog doesn't return correctly, or keeps trying to close, or goes back and forth, there is a board underneath that must have some solder reflowed:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/64#post-4540540
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/48#post-4200785
There is a summary post somewhere on pinside showing the PCB - I think there is a similar problem with DE Jurassic dinosaur.

Balrog light:
While you've got the Balrog open, see if the LED conversion has been done. If not, get the 44 socket, install, and get the correct red LED lamp.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb148.pdf
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/balrog-led#post-4935441 (my summary from 2019)
Older:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lord-of-the-rings-balrog-led

Gimli fork switch:
http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/lord-of-the-rings-gimli-vuk-issue.4260/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-gimli-vuk
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-gimli-hole-not-sensing-100

#4578 4 years ago
Quoted from Lazar:

Thanks for the extensive thoughts on potential issues. After reading through all of it, I found fuse F8 to be blown. I replaced it and then it blew immediately upon restart. Any thoughts about what this might be? I appreciate the help.

@lotr_breath suggested bridge rectifier. I can't help with details on that.

However, one other thought - if the game is new to you, that means it travelled. Blown fuse can be from short circuit. MAybe a nut/washer wiggled loose, or was already sitting somewhere loose. I'd lift up the playfield and jiggle it back and forth, listening for anything, and look around.

This is a less likely cause than something else like bridge rectifier or other circuit element, but a possible cause, especially if they worked in a play test before moving the pin.

#4586 4 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have had my LOTR for about 3 years now. Today I got to TABA for the first time. All I knew was the music was something I never heard before. I had just used my new digital level to set the pitch and tried a quick game. I hope to get to TABA again! And beyond.

We've had our LOTR for 8 months. My stepson and I have high scores (180-210 million), but my wife is the only one to start TABA (twice). She loves that music.

Full disclosure - we have our game set to 5 balls, with Special and Replay set to award extra balls. We do have the outlanes wide open (difficult).

#4595 4 years ago
Quoted from PinWoofer:

re:Pinsound - Nice of you to make some suggestions to a fellow pinsider! PinWoofer has a turnkey powered audio kit that's had great reviews on LOTR.

Here is our website link:

https://pinwoofer.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fpinwoofer-powered-super-kit

We have been spoiled with great sound (source and speakers) on 2 more modern machines (from 2017 and 2018), so have been thinking about upgrading sound on our LOTR, which already has color DMD and shaker.

(BTW I strongly recommend upgrading to shaker, although that involves some extra work on LOTR.)

One route is better amplification and speakers, which seems to be the Pinwoofer way. The other route is better amplification, speakers, and source material, which seems to be the Pinsound way. Pinsound also offers 3 other community remixes for LOTR.

I can't say which is better, because it is up to the user. Some like the original sounds (an important point which I can understand), and just want better quality playback. Others may want better quality playback and to be able to incorporate better source material (ie, higher bit rate, better samples from the soundtrack).

PinWoofer is much more affordable.

I'm leaning to Pinsound someday, since I like the remixes. LOTR isn't leaving our house for a long time.

#4612 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

color screen owners with lotr, is there a general consensus the color dmd or the color lcd is better for this game? (as it renders)
Its similar price, will be my first color screen and not sure which way to go.

I think it depends on the lighting where the game is located. Read about the pros and cons of each - there is a decent write-up on one of the sites that sells both types of color screens.

If you have some windows without good light-blocking shades, plan to play during daylight, and want others besides the player to easily see the feedback on the screen, then I might lean toward color LED. Otherwise, color LCD looks nice and is more versatile (as mentioned, you can get the "LED look" with the LCD).

Disclaimers:
I never had to buy one. Our LOTR came with a color LED and we never thought to change it. I've seen LOTR with color LCD and they look nice. We do have windows in our walk-out basement, but I think an LCD would be fine there too, based on game location and our shades. In our room, I would lean to color LCD if I had to replace a dead color LED. If I had no color display, any color option would be the first upgrade (OK, color and upgraded flipper coils). The color graphics are way cool, and I find myself still watching them and smiling, especially during start of a mode or multiball.

I mentioned in another thread recently that even though I love LOTR, after several months it does not have that "one more game" feel. Playing a game of LOTR is now a long adventure, and taking the time to watch the cool color animations gives you a break before starting to flip again.

-Adam

#4616 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The last topics on this have me thoroughly confused on what two displays are being discussed as ColorDMD is the name of a manufacturer not a display type. They make both ColorLCD and ColorLED displays.

Fixed. Sorry for confusion.

#4634 4 years ago

Looking for a pointer to help - I'm sure it's been discussed, but my searches on Pinside and bookmarks aren't showing anything.

Yesterday, while my wife was playing, the sound started to go wonky. Screeching, static, and sometimes the callouts were high pitched (sped up, or like they had sucked in helium). This happened a lot during modes, but also all the time. So the music/callouts were mostly there, but garbled and distorted. Kept going for a couple games.

Turned off overnight, and played a test game this morning. All sound worked fine - no problems.

Online I found lots of problems with no sound or static at lower levels, but not this problem, although I feel like I've read about it before. Anyone have links to a discussion?

1) Is this something normally solved by a reboot?

2) Is this the start of further sound issues?

3) If so, will Pinsound solve it?

I've been looking for an excuse to install Pinsound, but with Wonka being delivered soon, I was hoping to delay Pinsound expense a little longer.

Thanks!

#4636 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Yesterday, the LOTR sound started to go wonky. Screeching, static, and sometimes the callouts were high pitched (sped up, or like they had sucked in helium)....the music/callouts were mostly there, but garbled and distorted.

Quoted from hawknole:

Could be something is loose, check the back box

Thanks for the suggestion hawknole . I watched Pinsound Whitestar install video to see where sound connectors were located, and made sure they were all pushed in. I then checked all connectors in backbox. Most were not obviously loose, but a couple did tighten. I also checked the sound ROM, made sure it was seated well, and used compressed air to blow out any dust (it wasn't too dirty).

Sadly, the sound problems now seem to come and go every game. Examples in the YouTube videos below. Anyone else seen problems like this, and know how to fix them (or a link to the post/discussion on Pinside)? If PinSound is the answer, I'll get on their wait list, as PinSound+ is out of stock, with expected builds by the end of this month.

This video has squeaky and static sound for first ~10 sec, then OK sound for ~11 seconds.:

This video has bad sound at 10-14 seconds:

1 week later
#4678 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Another question, where do most people have their out lane posts set? Mine is set on the hardest hole which is apparently how it came from the factory but I am considering moving to the middle hole in a home environment.

Sorry I couldn't help on POTD switch issue. Hope you are able to solve it.

re:outlanes

I am firmly in the camp of "put them where ever the hell you want!"

No shame if you close them down. Have fun with the machine in your own home. And don't be afraid to talk about good games you've had, or that "1 shot away from DTR.". Don't worry about the purists who complain that you're using 5 balls or have your outlanes closed down, or whatever.

Unless you're trying to practice for tournaments. Than make your game wicked.

For the record, we've got LOTR with outlanes wide open (they came that way), and 5 balls. My wife enjoys it that way, and when she's playing pinball, I'm happy!

Our Stern Star Wars LE has outlanes closed down, and 3 balls.

Our Beatles has outlanes closed down, and 3 balls. Keeping default of 3 maximum extra balls for now, but that may change. I've gotten to Taxman multiball, but it is hard.

Just my $0.25.

1 week later
#4739 4 years ago

ALL HAIL THE UNPLUG-REPLUG FIX

Yup. Although I might have reflowed the solder just in case, because, you know, soldering is fun.

(Disclaimer - no I wouldn't if reseating worked. I guess it's not that hard to take the screws out again in a few thousand games after the shaker and normal use have their way with the machine.)

#4759 4 years ago

Received notification that my PinSound+ board and headphone station shipped yesterday. Since they offered sale price and free standard shipping to entice us to buy while stock was on back-order, I paid for upgraded shipping. Hope to see it in a little over a week, and that it solves my screwed up sound boards.

Also ordered PinWoofer powered super kit. Once I get sound PinSound+ installed and working, I'll install the PinWoofer. Looking forward to the full audio experience!

I think I need to get the one ring speaker cover and lights. Those look sweet.

#4760 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

I accidentally snapped the end off one of bolts for the slingshot.
I've had a look on a few websites but can't find the actual part / part number I need.

Quoted from chubtoad13:

I would take the broken one to a hardware store. Even if they don’t have a Phillips head you can get a replacement that will work until you can find the exact one. It looks like 8/32 or 10/32 thread 2” long, stainless steel.

chubtoad13 has the correct advice. It is an 8-32 screw. Get a nice wide pan head screw and a strong washer for underneath. Get a couple lengths, noting that the other screw mount for the slings must be a little longer (see photo). It doesn't have to be stainless, but make sure it's strong, since this screw sees a lot of stress over time. I just cover up the extra length with small rubber rings. Also, get a couple new 8-32 nylon lock nuts, so that they screw on easily and remain snug.

Finally, at the bottom of the sling is an 8-32 x 1/4 T-Nut (probably 1/4" shaft):
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=8-32%20x%201/4%20T-Nut&product_id=100

This looks OK in your picture, but I've needed to replace a couple on older machines. These may be available at a good hardware store, but not always. Next time ordering from one of our main pinball suppliers, you may want to get some just in case.

8-32 screws are the most common ones used to put handles and knobs on drawers and cupboards in the US.

-Adam
IMG_4058 (resized).jpegIMG_4058 (resized).jpeg

#4763 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Lazy and don't want to pull it out of your playfield to measure it? measure length on topside of playfield (1.5") and add .5" for the playfield, you need a 2" 6-32 screw.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...

My advice was fine, and even noted that you should get a couple lengths. I know mine are too long.

BTW, I checked the screws on my machine before posting and they are 8-32. The previous owner was someone that I trust and knows a lot - if he upgraded 6-32 to 8-32, I'll go with it. OP may want to get both, I guess.

Yeah, my long screws look ugly. They work, stop air balls from hitting the figures, and were what I had available and let me get back to playing the game.

1 month later
#5084 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

I have not heard Frodo say, "I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way" I assume he says this when you acquire him for fotr. Is this a pinsound mod.

If you have PinSound installed, yes.

At least one of the most popular sets of sound files for LOTR on PinSound does not use "I will take the ring to Mordor although I do not know the way". It uses (paraphrasing) "....is it left or right, Gandalf?"

1 week later
#5220 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

There are no other pins from the generation with these coils that have consistent lengthy games. They overheat because of the long nature of each play through. And that it's fun as hell and you never turn it off doesn't seem to help things either. Save yourself some time and trouble, buy the coils for $20 and cease to worry about it every again. I messed with fans but in the end it was still some janky contraption that would move and slide out of position regularly. Plus you have to wire them up and fiddle with that. I personally think replacing a coils is very easy compared to wiring an aftermarket fan set up. The ring shot is much more reliable with the med coils which is appreciated in DTR.

Quoted from AUKraut:

The mediums are just a touch stronger than stock and nowhere near as strong as the PInballLife coils. The best part is the mediums don’t start getting weak as you do have that long game and need to Destroy the Ring.

I up-voted these 2 responses. I would say same thing. Much better IMO to replace the coils than to muck around with fans and connecting them.

Previous owner of my machine installed PBL coils:
https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html

The PBL coils do not get weak after long games. They are powerful.

The only real problem shot is the Gimli VUK from the left flipper. Clean shots can go right through to the pops or beyond. Sometimes they only go a bit above, and fall back in time to be registered as a made shot to the VUK. I counter this by trying to hit inside a post next to the VUK from left flipper, and hoping it settles in. Or, better yet, backhanding the Gimli VUK from the right flipper, which is very makeable.

It may be that we get more bad bounces off targets or posts to drain, but I cannot quantify that.

Finally, even though I have a relatively new post sleeve on the pin behind Orthanc, we sometimes get orbit shots that will bypass the pin when it's supposed to divert the ball to Orthanc. This may be a result of the PBL coils, but I don't know.

I will say, that the PBL coils are great during Destroy the Ring. Being able to easily (well, not easily, but maybe "somewhat more regularly") make the ring shot from either flipper is nice. My game is set on 2-ball DTR, and I find that even with PBL coils, it's better to use the left flipper on second ring shot. It takes a lot of power and a clean shot, making the left geometry better.

If replacing stock flipper coils, it may be best to use the medium power coils, based on feedback from others in this thread. At this point in time, I don't see the need to replace the my PBL ones. ie, they are also an acceptable replacement, even though they may not be favored at present.

-Adam

1 week later
#5285 4 years ago
Quoted from nogoodnames222:

y ring (center shot) is occasionally registering false hits, I'll start a game and immediately get Frodo + start a mode before plunging the ball. Oddly it seems to only happen at the beginning of games, but I still suspect ring optos need to be replaced.

I had that for awhile also. My solution (suggested by a friend) was to use q-tip and 90+% rubbing alcohol to clean the transmitter and receiver on the optos in the ring. Try that first. (I probably did the whole mechanism because I likely have mild OCD.)

Does your LOTR have a shaker that rumbles at start when the Balrog rotates away from ring ramp?

3 weeks later
#5365 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

I have had LoTR for a while now...I want to now do a deeper clean / waxing, and replace all rubbers.

My question is: how much of a pain is this to do? Eventually I want to do a full LED conversion with an OCD board; does it make sense to do this right now along with cleaning / waxing / rubbers because of the difficulty of getting to all the playfield parts?

It's fairly easy. The right side with the sword and figures is a little fiddly but nothing you couldn't do in a few hours taking your time and being careful. I put Titan clears on mine.

Quoted from Lamprey:

It's not the worst game and not the easiest. Just take your time and lots of pictures and you should be fine. If you are going to LED and LED OCD it, you might as well do it all at once, but you don't need to. I believe all the lights can be changed without disassembly. It's been a while since I LED/OCDed mine, but I don't recall having to pull anything major apart to change bulbs.

I agree with the above sentiments. LOTR was the first game that I thoroughly cleaned the playfield by taking apart many of the top elements to access everything. "It's not the worst game and not the easiest." I put black titans on mine ('cause at the time I wasn't sure that I'd be able to get all the black off the game from the aging black rubber). I have not done LED OCD yet.

One thing I would add - once you have taken off enough elements to clean well, you may want to take a few more off in order to put warm white LED bulbs in for all the GI lighting (if it hasn't been done yet). I think it may be easier to do from the top... Make sure you get a frosted bulb for the one that shines at you from Legolas ramp. For the ones under plastics, I liked clearer bulbs because they gave off more light. Bulbs are kind of cheap - get a couple different types and see what you like.

#5378 4 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

And to add on to the previous two posts, an LED OCD board and warm white retro LEDs looks AMAZING there.

Thanks for following up with the info & recommendation. I put good LEDs in the shooter lane lights because a few were out and IMO it was a bit of a pain to change them. The LEDs look good to me, but I knew they were part of the controlled lamps. I look forward to an improvement someday when I LED OCD my LOTR.

Will wait until next year, though, because my sound board died a few months ago, and I installed PinSound to solve the problem rather than repair the board. I really like the PinSound options and the headphone jack. Yeah, I know it might be "best" to get the board fixed first....

#5381 4 years ago
Quoted from -ZZZ-:

I am considering getting Comet Pinball's full LED kit with the OCD board. Has anyone installed this particular kit? If so, what are the overall impressions?

See this thread and discussion. Very useful stuff.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-and-rubber-maps-for-lord-of-the-rings

Really should be a key post in LOTR club. Maybe make the post below a key post, since it references @flynnibus original thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/90#post-5071487

So much good info out there on a much-loved machine like LOTR, that it's sometimes hard to locate good or basic info.

#5389 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I don't know that I'd make that bulb "guide" a key post as there is a lot of color GI, which looks terrible IMHO. Also, no need to color match inserts. Meh..

It's a guide, not an edict. The rubber & LED maps & tables (in original thread) provide the info from the manual in a much more succinct format. Most people that use the LED section make their own substitutions and choices on colors (or not colors).

There are always new owners that can benefit from a quick pointer to some good information. It's a daunting task to wade through 5000+ posts in the LOTR club, or search the forum for other LOTR threads (many useful, many not).

1 month later
#5493 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Quick question about voltage... Some of my outlets measure around 121-122V, and others closer to 120V.

Could this 1-2V difference affect the power of the flippers?

No. US & Canada voltage mains are ~120VAC +/-6%. The AC voltage is converted to lower DC voltages inside cabinet. Measuring the voltage supply at flippers & comparing to spec would be a better indicator.

-Adam

1 month later
#5617 4 years ago
Quoted from MSLONEKER:

the fuse was fine, but the fuse holder was not making contact. thx.

Simple fixes are great!

2 weeks later
#5709 4 years ago
Quoted from ZfromEarth:

Someone know where can I order this Sideblade in U.S?

and Where I find cool Apron Instruction Cards?

Thanks

Quoted from pipes:

Pretty sure those are exclusive to Retro Refurbs. That’s where I bought mine. Not cheap for sure with shipping but they are the best IMO. They compliment the game perfectly. Better than any others I have seen.

Quoted from ZfromEarth:

Yes, I did not find on any US site....but now there isn't shipping from UK ( corona..... )

Yeah, they come only from Retro refurb. Shipping doesn't take too long. Unfortunately you'll have to wait for coronavirus to die down before things are opened up.

IMG_6787 (resized).jpegIMG_6787 (resized).jpegIMG_6788 (resized).jpegIMG_6788 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#5788 4 years ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Does anyone make an upgrade to this?

[Sword ramp switches photo]

Looks similar to the trough switches! Sadly I just replaced trough switch 13 (including new diode). Turns out it was unnecessary, and that there were more switches out in the switch matrix row (pink in photo). Now I'm trying to determine which wire/connection is bad, based on follow up to this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/41#post-4066891
LOTR trough switches (resized).jpegLOTR trough switches (resized).jpegLOTR switch matrix (resized).jpegLOTR switch matrix (resized).jpeg

#5797 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Looks similar to the trough switches! Sadly I just replaced trough switch 13 (including new diode). Turns out it was unnecessary, and that there were more switches out in the switch matrix row (pink in photo). Now I'm trying to determine which wire/connection is bad, based on follow up to this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/41#post-4066891

Turns out I had the exact same problem as pipes 2.5 years ago - one of the green/white wires came unsoldered at the Palantir switch under the playfield. Got my daughter to help hold wires while I re-soldered and all is working again. I even destroyed the ring on my first game back. Nice to feel "whole" again and have all 4 machines working!!

#5832 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Questions for you folks who might have installed a Pinsound into LOTR.

1- I know you can load custom sounds and packages, but if you left the original sounds does the Pinsound board make any sound quality difference with the original sounds.

2- What ohm speakers can we use the Pinsound board amps, will it handle 4 & 8 ohms? Not mixing the two, just capable wise for 4ohm or 8ohm speakers.

1) As said, maybe not enough to justify the expense. There is an "OST" mix that is very similar to the original but in better quality.

2) Unsure - but if you do buy speakers, look at Pinwoofer or something stateside. With shipping, it didn't make sense to get the Pinsound speakers due to price. I bought Pinwoofer setup, and while I haven't installed it yet, Dan Dean has been very helpful in answering questions and with follow up.

My LOTR sound board died last year, and after some research I decided to spend money on Pinsound + Headphone Station rather than board repair. LOTR is my wife's favorite game & likely staying in our house for a long time.

We have all 4 mixes (including original) on the card and (with Headphone Station) can switch between them on the fly. We think that the Wool & Hawknole mixes make it seem like playing a new game. There are a few choices they made that I don't agree with, and a few challenges with sound levels, but mostly I'm very impressed with the alternate mixes & almost always play with one of them loaded.

My advice would be to add the headphone station when buying the Pinsound+ board.

#5834 4 years ago

So just curious if I don't get the headphone package, is there no other way of switching them on boot up or on the fly? Another thing I was thinking of can we use a 10ft extended usb 3.0 cable in the pinsound board like we do on the spike systems for updating code so we don't have to constantly be going in to the backbox.

Sorry - you'll have to double check Pinsound or other Pinside threads - I cannot remember the answers. There may be a way to change the mix by opening the coin door and accessing the volume there.

I just know that the headphone station made sense for us, due to the combination of headphone jack, volume control, and ability to change mixes without opening front door (if that works) or switching out the USB flash drive and rebooting.

#5843 4 years ago

I'm really looking forward to it as there are some great original soundtrack scores for this movie which would be excellent in the game. Now that they released their shaker motor mod, one must wonder do you still need the v10.02 cpu and pal chip to use the shaker or do you now do it with their shaker and customize it through their software. Hmmm

In the description of the shaker (https://www.pinsound.org/motion-control/) they state:

"The Motion Control is a shaker kit (control board + shaker motor) designed to be easy to install. The Motion Control will be connected to the PinSound board (version 1 or PLUS), on the extension port."

I know some people move PinSound to different games, and some people don't care for it. If you think you may want to sell LOTR in the future, you may want to go traditional shaker route, so it can most likely be included with the game, and you have the option to sell/include or remove the PinSound board.

In our case, the PinSound board has become part of the game. If we ever sell LOTR, PinSound goes with it, and we will likely not recoup investment since the sound board is dead. We're OK with that.

#5882 3 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Opened the game up tonight and didn't see anything out of place. All switch look fine, and they do usually work.

Tonight I played a game, and while in Fellowship MB, no shots would register when I hit Balrog. In the same game, I started Fellowship again, and sure enough, it started working.

Any idea what that could be?

You get to have some Balrog fun. Could be wire broken inside insulation, sometime connecting, sometimes not:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-balrog-switch-activation-problem

Could be the small PC board ("DC Bi-Directional Relay Board") under playfield that has Balrog wires going to it. Sometimes you need to reflow the solder on the board. Likely not this, but including link for completeness.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-balrog-motorswitch-issues

After a couple repairs, I ended up making an entire new Balrog wire harness, using 18g (I think) wire that I fed through an appropriate size heat shrink, without heating the heat shrink.

-Adam

1 week later
#5918 3 years ago
Quoted from yyyyyikes:

was wondering if anyone's had trouble with their pop bumper flashers? none of mine work and i can't remember ever seeing them work...maybe.

As DCFAN said, check fuse first, but it seems like other flashers or things would also not work if fuses F7, F21, or F22 are blown. Flashers are tested in coils section of diagnostics, so I *assume* one of these fuses is for pop bumper flashers.

FYI I noticed GI lights along my LOTR backboard were out a couple weeks ago. Turns out that years of shaking and heat (I guess) had caused the metal fins/clamps in the F24 fuse holder to come loose - the fuse was loose in there. Just pinched the metal pieces together & reinserted the fuse.

I see in another thread that you verified bulbs work. That would have been my other thought. It's easy for 1 to be off and not notice it for a long time, then all 3 are out.

Wonder what the "odd construction" under playfield is (in https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-pop-flashers)

Be interested to know result.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 18.95
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 39.50
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Adaminski.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club?tu=Adaminski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.