IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 204.
#4901 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Having issues with making the ring shot. It just doesn't seem to have the juice or the spinner is slowing it down.
I've adjusted the spinner so it leans towards the back of the games bit, but still having lots of shots that just go 3/4 up the ramp and roll back down.
This is the second LOTR that I have owned and the previous one definitely shot better than this.
Any suggestions?

Just the basics. Have you rebuilt the flippers? Are you using upgraded coils?

#4902 4 years ago
Quoted from jchybro:

sound made from all VUKs. I thought 3214727385-eject was balrog, but listening to it a few times, it's more like a cow or pig or something. Yes....what to replace with is a challenge.

Others have mentioned the odd VUK sound supposed to be an orc. (grunting?) Maybe a snarl noise?

#4903 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’m looking for some cool rules cards. I can’t find much that I like for this game. Anyone have one that isn’t on pinball rebel or pinballcards.com?

Pingravings has a couple versions.

https://sites.google.com/view/pingravings/pingravings-home/gallery?authuser=0

LOTR 1 (resized).jpgLOTR 1 (resized).jpg

#4904 4 years ago

I'm not sure how I managed to conclude that my bridge rectifier was shorted. It was actually TIP122 Q32 that was blowing a fuse on my LOTR.

#4905 4 years ago
IMG_20190929_150234 (resized).jpgIMG_20190929_150234 (resized).jpgIMG_20190929_143239 (resized).jpgIMG_20190929_143239 (resized).jpgIMG_20190929_143333 (resized).jpgIMG_20190929_143333 (resized).jpg
#4906 4 years ago

I installed the speaker light kit w acrylics tonight, and it looks amazing. I have a question about ground strap placement. It was originally speaker panel -- grill -- ground strap -- speaker. Now it is speaker panel -- acrylic -- led box -- grill -- ground strap -- speaker. Is the ground strap ok there?

I also had one of my best games ever. I beat 5 modes including witch-king, beat 2 towers, and collected all 6 gifts. I wasn't close at all on fellowship multiball, which is the hardest for me.

MVIMG_20190929_203131 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20190929_203131 (resized).jpg
#4907 4 years ago

I beat FOTR for the first time a few days ago and it was like I won the super bowl. I had never come close before.

Who makes that grille kit? It looks amazing.

#4908 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I beat FOTR for the first time a few days ago and it was like I won the super bowl. I had never come close before.
Who makes that grille kit? It looks amazing.

Doug @

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/

#4909 4 years ago

When I first set up my game I put the back legs at the front and had very little slope. I completed FOTR on my first go and got 155M or so. I thought the game was a bit slow and easy! Then I set it up properly at 6.5° and I'm lucky if I can get more than 2 members across and Valinor seems like an impossible dream.

#4910 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I installed the speaker light kit w acrylics tonight, and it looks amazing. I have a question about ground strap placement. It was originally speaker panel -- grill -- ground strap -- speaker. Now it is speaker panel -- acrylic -- led box -- grill -- ground strap -- speaker. Is the ground strap ok there?
I also had one of my best games ever. I beat 5 modes including witch-king, beat 2 towers, and collected all 6 gifts. I wasn't close at all on fellowship multiball, which is the hardest for me.[quoted image]

The ground strap was originally between the grill and the speaker so having it there after the light kit install should be fine also.

I'm glad you like the light kit and it looks like you have everything installed as I would suggest. With the LOTR design, it really looks best if the grill is not between the acrylic design and the light source.

Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

#4911 4 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

The ground strap was originally between the grill and the speaker so having it there after the light kit install should be fine also.
I'm glad you like the light kit and it looks like you have everything installed as I would suggest. With the LOTR design, it really looks best if the grill is not between the acrylic design and the light source.
Doug (SpeakerLightKits.com)

Yeah, I remembered seeing a post you made about the layering years ago, so I went searching for that post before I installed. It looks incredible.

#4912 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I also had one of my best games ever. I beat 5 modes including witch-king, beat 2 towers, and collected all 6 gifts. I wasn't close at all on fellowship multiball, which is the hardest for me.[quoted image]

Just ordered the light kit. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. The acrylic looks great with the gold background! Can’t wait to install it.

#4913 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Just the basics. Have you rebuilt the flippers? Are you using upgraded coils?

The game was barely used when I got it. All coils were like new, so figured I didn't need to upgrade.

#4914 4 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

The game was barely used when I got it. All coils were like new, so figured I didn't need to upgrade.

The medium coil upgrade is a must IMO for LOTR.....

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

#4915 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Just ordered the light kit. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. The acrylic looks great with the gold background! Can’t wait to install it.

The instructions will probably tell you to layer it acrylic - grill - light box - speakers. Instead, layer it acrylic, light box, grill, speakers.

#4916 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

I installed the speaker light kit w acrylics tonight, and it looks amazing.

<sigh> You guys cost me so much money with these mod posts. </sigh>

#4917 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

This is probably more information than anyone cares about but it does explain why ground wires are where they are...

There is a requirement on all commercial appliances that any internal electrically conductive materials (metal) that are also exposed to the exterior be at ground potential; This is why the ground braid inside the cabinet/backbox touches every piece of metal that can conduct electricity to the exterior.

Since the outer surface of your speakers is no longer conductive, you don't need to install the ground strap at all.

#4918 4 years ago

Installed my Sting topper today. Probably the best topper you can buy that only costs $16?

Sure, its not as flashy as other toppers. But, I'm happy with it. Would look better with a color changing (or even just white) led strip illuminating it from below but I'm not going to worry about that right now.

20190930_150905 (resized).jpg20190930_150905 (resized).jpg

20190930_150914 (resized).jpg20190930_150914 (resized).jpg

#4919 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Installed my Sting topper today.

Your Dialed IN appears to be broken, you should sell it to me

#4920 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Installed my Sting topper today. Probably the best topper you can buy that only costs $16?
Sure, its not as flashy as other toppers. But, I'm happy with it. Would look better with a color changing (or even just white) led strip illuminating it from below but I'm not going to worry about that right now.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

It would be sick to tie some blue leds to maybe the Orc rollovers or something. Has anyone tried that?

#4921 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Your Dialed IN appears to be broken, you should sell it to me

Oh...lol. I had just turned on the machines for the pic...it was still booting up. That's funny. Yeah...right now I have the problem of I have no idea which pin I would swap out to try something new...which of course is a great problem to have.

#4922 4 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

The instructions will probably tell you to layer it acrylic - grill - light box - speakers. Instead, layer it acrylic, light box, grill, speakers.

The instructions actually describe all of the different acrylic mounting methods.

A general rule is if the acrylic is clear or mirrored and it has etched detail in it, the more etched detail area there is, the better it looks if you DO NOT have the grill directly behind it. If you have a clear acrylic like the Ghostbusters Slimer or a heavenly etched mirror acrylic like South Park or Family Guy......if you can't mount the grill behind the light frame, there really isn't any need to buy the acrylic design because it will look like crap with the grill right behind it. It actually just makes the design blend in with the grill and it's barely visible.

I guess some people are afraid of kids sticking gum or pennies in the speaker holes if the grill isn't there closing up the speaker hole, but even adding some washers as spacers to go between the back of the design and the front of the grill is better than having the grill directly behind that type of design.

The LotR design looks good mounted in the standard method (as it doesn't really have that much etched detail), but it looks much better if mounted in the 3D method.

Acrylic mounting (resized).jpgAcrylic mounting (resized).jpg
#4923 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Thanks, as always! Yeah, seems to have completely fixed the issue, though maybe looks a tiny bit hokey (but you can't really see/notice it unless you are looking for it). I used 2 pieces since I think sometimes it hits the upper "space" too. On hand I just had some felt that you would use on the bottom of chairs for wood floors, which is pretty thick. And you are correct...when pulling the playfield out, it dips down so completely misses the felt. You could put most any thickness on the wall there and you won't have clearance issues.
[quoted image]

What you can do about this is extend the screw holding the upper playfield to the post and put two ring rubbers on the screw. This is not permanent and doesn't look bad. Instead of getting that rubber piece, you can put a strip of the beer seal for under the lockdown bar on the top playfield along the right edge where the vuk shoots out. The ball will still go over this rubber, but it won't bounce back down into the vuk.

#4924 4 years ago

So just researching the sword a bit more. Some other options that you might want to check out. There is this one for $38 ->

https://www.amazon.com/Anglo-Arms-Hobbit-Sting-Sword/dp/B01N3PY93B/ref=sr_1_33_sspa

2019-09-30_2037 (resized).png2019-09-30_2037 (resized).png

It says its actually made of metal, and the sheath has suede and metal on it. If its actually not made of foam/plastic it seems pretty cheap.

What I was really looking for...was something transparent plastic but doesn't look like cheap plastic...so the sword could glow. There is this one for $15 ->

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bilbo-Baggins-Sword-Child-Halloween-Accessory/46302513?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227033798794&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=86487470088&wl4=aud-566049426705:pla-120072458688&wl5=9029555&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46302513&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItuOH6_755AIVdyCtBh1WRgL0EAQYAyABEgLz_fD_BwE

2019-09-30_2039 (resized).png2019-09-30_2039 (resized).png

I might just order it just to see what it really looks like. I could always return it.

It's battery powered...but I was thinking of just adding some LED lights to the opposite side of the blade to have it always powered on/glowing instead of trying to figure out how to wire the sword from the battery compartment to the pinball machine.

#4925 4 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

What you can do about this is extend the screw holding the upper playfield to the post and put two ring rubbers on the screw. This is not permanent and doesn't look bad. Instead of getting that rubber piece, you can put a strip of the beer seal for under the lockdown bar on the top playfield along the right edge where the vuk shoots out. The ball will still go over this rubber, but it won't bounce back down into the vuk.

Ok, that's an interesting idea to use a longer screw and put some rubbers on it, though there isn't a screw for the second place I put the felt (the one closer to the back of the playfield).

#4926 4 years ago

It's a funny old game. I've been struggling to get more than 2 or 3 across in FOTR but tonight I defeated Balrog and hit all the victory lap shots.

#4927 4 years ago

Finally in the club! Took a 20 hr round trip to Mordor to pick up this flawless game! I looked liked Gollum after I got home but it was worth the journey!

4555AE18-0D84-4ECF-A8BC-BA14AC141B43 (resized).jpeg4555AE18-0D84-4ECF-A8BC-BA14AC141B43 (resized).jpeg
#4928 4 years ago

I have the army of the dead figures just sitting around, is there a light and mounting kit available somewhere?

#4929 4 years ago

I splurged and bought a NOS LOTR pf to replace my badly faded one.

Once this gets installed, by cabinet is going to look quite bad by comparison. Has anyone had good results with cabinet decals?

#4930 4 years ago

Did a playfield protector and cliffies today. A lot of work but good peace of mind for the nicest game I own.

As a result of the protector and probably just me reinstalling the left ramp appropriately the balls are flying off of that thing like nobody's business. Is the guy still making those brass air ball guards for the left ramp?

#4931 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

As a result of the protector and probably just me reinstalling the left ramp appropriately the balls are flying off of that thing like nobody's business. Is the guy still making those brass air ball guards for the left ramp?

Yea, mine fly off the mid section of the left ramp and land in the shire fairly often, which started after waxing it 2yrs ago. (using original flipper coils, not high power) The protector keeps the ball on the ramp down by the lanes, which is not my issue, but not sure about your situation.

One trick I found was slightly loosening the ramp screws so it has a bit of wobble to absorb the balls energy, especially the screw securing the middle section of the ramp.

#4932 4 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Did a playfield protector and cliffies today. A lot of work but good peace of mind for the nicest game I own.

PM ryan1234 and he can let you know. If it, I believe laserrific (can’t remember for sure) makes a nice alternative plastic with elven engraving.

This is only for the lower section though... not the mid section.

#4933 4 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I have the army of the dead figures just sitting around, is there a light and mounting kit available somewhere?

Try pinbits

#4934 4 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I splurged and bought a NOS LOTR pf to replace my badly faded one.
Once this gets installed, by cabinet is going to look quite bad by comparison. Has anyone had good results with cabinet decals?

Have you checked out post #4740 of this thread? I got these, they look great but haven’t been installed so can’t really say much yet other than that they look great

#4935 4 years ago

I got new cabinet artwork courtesy of LIORILLUSION. It looks 100x better than old.

20191001_172125 (resized).jpg20191001_172125 (resized).jpg20191002_001323 (resized).jpg20191002_001323 (resized).jpg20191001_172101 (resized).jpg20191001_172101 (resized).jpg20191001_172125 (resized).jpg20191001_172125 (resized).jpg
#4936 4 years ago

I have created custom cards, that I will put your name on and email 300dpi high res versions to print out for $5 to [email protected] on PayPal.

fbd4d0d20ef1876d47d921461c54d3195fb91448 (resized).jpgfbd4d0d20ef1876d47d921461c54d3195fb91448 (resized).jpg8540d8aa02d5515a2c514104fcaf78aa8b8797e9 (resized).jpg8540d8aa02d5515a2c514104fcaf78aa8b8797e9 (resized).jpg
#4937 4 years ago
Quoted from LucidLight:

I have created custom cards, that I will put your name on and email 300dpi high res versions to print out for $5 to [email protected] on PayPal.[quoted image][quoted image]

Those look great!

#4938 4 years ago

For any interested, I just got an email from Mezel Mods, that the 2Niro Fire Rings for the original LOTR are back in stock!

https://mezelmods.com/collections/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-mods/products/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-fire-ring?variant=19875866804321

#4939 4 years ago

Thanks for that Pin_Guy. Wonder if there is a difference between the regular and the LE.

#4940 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Thanks for that Pin_Guy. Wonder if there is a difference between the regular and the LE.

There is, the LE needs a different wiring harness than the original.

#4941 4 years ago

So if you have an lotr limited the regular will not work?

#4942 4 years ago

You may be able to make it work but I don't know what the differences are.

The only thing I can say for sure is when I purchased mine from Franck Niro, he told me that there is a different connector between the Standard and LE machines and needed to know what machine I had so he can send me the correct connector.

#4943 4 years ago

Thanks
Stupid me, I ordered it and then had to cancel (unless Mezel) can hook me up. Too bad, I like that mod.

#4944 4 years ago

I am in the process of stripping down my LOTR playfield. One of the things that has always bugged me is when the ball is shot up to The Path of the Dead, the ball sometimes slams into the cabinet wall.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

I was thinking of adding two posts in this area, but I need to purchase plastic posts. For now, this is what I am planning on doing - not particularly elegant. I also don’t like putting sideways pressure on those relatively delicate plastic pieces.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4945 4 years ago

This seems to work, but I don’t like the look - although not as terrible as the other.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#4946 4 years ago

I just added an identical clear plastic post right between the other two, looks factory and solved the problem.

#4947 4 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

I am in the process of stripping down my LOTR playfield. One of the things that has always bugged me is when the ball is shot up to The Path of the Dead, the ball sometimes slams into the cabinet wall.
I was thinking of adding two posts in this area, but I need to purchase plastic posts. For now, this is what I am planning on doing - not particularly elegant. I also don’t like putting sideways pressure on those relatively delicate plastic pieces.[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/98#post-5218896

It's really small and you don't even notice it when you're standing in front of the machine. They're super cheap and you can find them at Home Depot / Lowes.

#4948 4 years ago
Quoted from lhammer610:

Yes, you can custom bend a piece of piano wire to fill the gap and it will match the original wire, I did something similar to keep balls from the VUK from falling off the POTD. I didn't extend it to the area you are talking about as it never bothered me.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4949 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

For any interested, I just got an email from Mezel Mods, that the 2Niro Fire Rings for the original LOTR are back in stock!
https://mezelmods.com/collections/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-mods/products/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-fire-ring?variant=19875866804321

I'm interested in getting this as well as the mount doom mod but $100 seems a little excessive to me. What all is involved in the mod that brings the cost that high?

#4950 4 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

Can anybody on here make me a overlay sticker that goes right in front of balrog? My screw came loose in balrog and scratched the playfield.

[quoted image]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 99 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/99 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.