lord1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 203.
#4751 4 years ago

I would say you got the right kit with the Stern version. It does not matter which way the board sits.

#4752 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

That’s crazy. I wonder if it was modified by the previous owner?
Send me a PM, if you cover shipping costs I’ll send you a new one free of charge.
I’m curious what is wrong with that one you have...

Here is the thing, when I first fitted it the light was very dim to the point you had to look very closely to see the red glow.
Started a game and very quickly crashed, f11 fuse gone. Now it blows the fuse instantly as it’s short circuit. There was no sign of any interference with the mod and cable was wrapped as new. Only thing I can think is the back of the volcano where you have to bend cable to miss wire rails has an issue, next time I pull the playfield out I will have a look. I’m an electrician so you would have thought I would have got this right☺️

Thanks for the offer very kind of you, I like it even without the red glow anyway so will keep it but will post an update when I get around to looking at it
I’m curious too and will let you know.

#4753 4 years ago

Speaker Lights and shaker motor installed on my LE today.

20190903_183634 (resized).jpg20190903_183634 (resized).jpg20190903_180844 (resized).jpg20190903_180844 (resized).jpg
#4754 4 years ago

Volcano mod looks great compared to standard on my LE even though mine isn’t lit.

A6C1C231-9239-4F8F-A378-A63D886853A3 (resized).jpegA6C1C231-9239-4F8F-A378-A63D886853A3 (resized).jpeg
#4755 4 years ago

I accidentally snapped the end off one of bolts for the slingshot.
I've had a look on a few websites but can't find the actual part / part number I need.
Please advise

20190903_190549 (resized).jpg20190903_190549 (resized).jpg20190903_191808 (resized).jpg20190903_191808 (resized).jpg
#4756 4 years ago

I don’t have a part number for you. It would surely be in the manual.

I would take the broken one to a hardware store. Even if they don’t have a Phillips head you can get a replacement that will work until you can find the exact one. It looks like 8/32 or 10/32 thread 2” long, stainless steel.

#4757 4 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I’m an electrician so you would have thought I would have got this right☺️
Thanks for the offer very kind of you, I like it even without the red glow anyway so will keep it but will post an update when I get around to looking at it
I’m curious too and will let you know.

Perfect that you are an electrician

That LED circuit is pretty simple, just three 5v LEDs and each one has a resistor. Maybe one of the resistors went bad? My bet is the solder points at the pad need to be reflowed. The harness can be completely removed by heating up the hot glue holding it in place and removing. Maybe check for obvious issues at the solder pads and reflow the joints. If it looks fine at the solder pads, then it's a circuit issue.

Anyhow, just let me know whenever you get the chance - I'll be happy to send you out a new one

And, damn, your LE looks awesome!!

#4758 4 years ago

Does anyone have a reliable fix for pinballs settling into the Barad-dur saucer? Mine pops out if hit with any speed at all and it leads to frustration. I’ve heard about putting in foam, but where would this go? Thanks in advance for the help.

#4759 4 years ago

Received notification that my PinSound+ board and headphone station shipped yesterday. Since they offered sale price and free standard shipping to entice us to buy while stock was on back-order, I paid for upgraded shipping. Hope to see it in a little over a week, and that it solves my screwed up sound boards.

Also ordered PinWoofer powered super kit. Once I get sound PinSound+ installed and working, I'll install the PinWoofer. Looking forward to the full audio experience!

I think I need to get the one ring speaker cover and lights. Those look sweet.

#4760 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

I've had a look on a few websites but can't find the actual part / part number I need.

Quoted from chubtoad13:

I would take the broken one to a hardware store. Even if they don’t have a Phillips head you can get a replacement that will work until you can find the exact one. It looks like 8/32 or 10/32 thread 2” long, stainless steel.

chubtoad13 has the correct advice. It is an 8-32 screw. Get a nice wide pan head screw and a strong washer for underneath. Get a couple lengths, noting that the other screw mount for the slings must be a little longer (see photo). It doesn't have to be stainless, but make sure it's strong, since this screw sees a lot of stress over time. I just cover up the extra length with small rubber rings. Also, get a couple new 8-32 nylon lock nuts, so that they screw on easily and remain snug.

Finally, at the bottom of the sling is an 8-32 x 1/4 T-Nut (probably 1/4" shaft):
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php?route=product/product&search=8-32%20x%201/4%20T-Nut&product_id=100

This looks OK in your picture, but I've needed to replace a couple on older machines. These may be available at a good hardware store, but not always. Next time ordering from one of our main pinball suppliers, you may want to get some just in case.

8-32 screws are the most common ones used to put handles and knobs on drawers and cupboards in the US.

-Adam
IMG_4058 (resized).jpegIMG_4058 (resized).jpeg

#4761 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Please advise

Looks a standard 6-32 screw, perhaps they made these #8s on the LE but not sure why they would ... I would just buy the cheapest one you can with the correct length and it will work great for a very long time.

Dislike leaving your home and mingling among strangers?
If you can't find it at https://www.mcmaster.com/ it's made from unobtanium.

Lazy and don't want to pull it out of your playfield to measure it? measure length on topside of playfield (1.5") and add .5" for the playfield, you need a 2" 6-32 screw.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#4762 4 years ago

Does this game benefit from upgrading speakers and/or adding a sub?

So many people talk about the audio quality lacking for LOTR I wasn’t sure if it would make a difference.

#4763 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Lazy and don't want to pull it out of your playfield to measure it? measure length on topside of playfield (1.5") and add .5" for the playfield, you need a 2" 6-32 screw.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...

My advice was fine, and even noted that you should get a couple lengths. I know mine are too long.

BTW, I checked the screws on my machine before posting and they are 8-32. The previous owner was someone that I trust and knows a lot - if he upgraded 6-32 to 8-32, I'll go with it. OP may want to get both, I guess.

Yeah, my long screws look ugly. They work, stop air balls from hitting the figures, and were what I had available and let me get back to playing the game.

#4764 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Does this game benefit from upgrading speakers and/or adding a sub?
So many people talk about the audio quality lacking for LOTR I wasn’t sure if it would make a difference.

I put in Flipper Fidelity system. Huge difference. I can now hear everything that is said. No more muddy speech.

#4765 4 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Looks a standard 6-32 screw, perhaps they made these #8s on the LE but not sure why they would ... I would just buy the cheapest one you can with the correct length and it will work great for a very long time.
Dislike leaving your home and mingling among strangers?
If you can't find it at https://www.mcmaster.com/ it's made from unobtanium.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

It's all factory and haven't changed. Confirmed They are 6-32 and I believe 2 or 2 1/4 length.
Unfortunately I'm in Australia so it's been proving difficult to get the right one in the right length.

#4766 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

It's all factory and haven't changed. Confirmed They are 6-32 and I believe 2 or 2 1/4 length.
Unfortunately I'm in Australia so it's been proving difficult to get the right one in the right length.

Trimming to the right length is easy if you have a pair of standard electrical pliers or a hacksaw. Mark the too-long screw, put a nut on it below the cut line, cut it, file it a little to take the burr off, remove the nut to straighten the threads. Boom - one custom and correct length screw ready to go.

#4767 4 years ago

I’ll be joining the club this weekend. I’m interested in the mod father sword mod. Those of you that have it on your game; can you still see the ball travel down the ramp? Also does it block the view of any other shots?
I like certain mods but I don’t want the gameplay to be affected negatively.

#4768 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

I’ll be joining the club this weekend. I’m interested in the mod father sword mod. Those of you that have it on your game; can you still see the ball travel down the ramp? Also does it block the view of any other shots?
I like certain mods but I don’t want the gameplay to be affected negatively.

You can bend the brackets so you can view the ball travelling if you like, mine is slightly bent so I can partially see below. Nothing else is obstructed.

#4769 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

Perfect that you are an electrician
That LED circuit is pretty simple, just three 5v LEDs and each one has a resistor. Maybe one of the resistors went bad? My bet is the solder points at the pad need to be reflowed. The harness can be completely removed by heating up the hot glue holding it in place and removing. Maybe check for obvious issues at the solder pads and reflow the joints. If it looks fine at the solder pads, then it's a circuit issue.
Anyhow, just let me know whenever you get the chance - I'll be happy to send you out a new one
And, damn, your LE looks awesome!!

Thank you for the info, will have a look at some stage and let you know what I find but honestly I’m not too worried about it at the moment.
And yes I’m lucky to have found a nice one with no work or mods needed well maybe some speakers

#4770 4 years ago

thanks to sparky I have a new bright shiny object in my LOTR, took off my sword ramp mod...but it is fun to watch during a lull in action while playing. I have a few other ideas for the frame graphics I might try

20190831_080623 (resized).jpg20190831_080623 (resized).jpg
#4771 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I have a few other ideas for the frame graphics I might try

Yup, maybe invert that image, and make the map black with gold text.

#4772 4 years ago

Can someone send me a picture of the wires connected to the two white pieces just inside the coin door? They became disconnected when I installed the shaker motor on the LE and now the flippers are weak and the balls are not kicking out strong enough. Thank you for your help.

#4773 4 years ago

Can anyone post a picture of the connections to the two white boxes just inside the coin door of the LE. Mine were disconnected while installing the shaker. Thank you!

#4774 4 years ago

Joined the club last night with a beautiful HUO.
C4C48FC0-C75F-493A-885B-CD7FBC07293A (resized).jpegC4C48FC0-C75F-493A-885B-CD7FBC07293A (resized).jpeg

#4775 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

It has a TOPS tournament topper installed. I don’t have a need for it. Does anyone know what these are worth? I can’t find any sales that are complete kits with the remote and power supply etc.[quoted image]

Nice machine, I got my LE NIB 6 weeks ago and have put 600 games on it lol! It's my first pin so been enjoying it way too much. Hope you enjoy yours!

#4776 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Nice machine, I got my LE NIB 6 weeks ago and have put 600 games on it lol! It's my first pin so been enjoying it way too much. Hope you enjoy yours!

Nice! That’s great you’re enjoying it so much. I’m sure you’ll have another game shortly. Just seems to work that way.
I can’t wait to dive into this one. I’m going in mostly blind. I’ve only played LOTR a couple dozen times. I’m trying not to spoil the fun of discovering the game by reading rule sheets or watching Bowen videos.

#4777 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballpaully:

Can anyone post a picture of the connections to the two white boxes just inside the coin door of the LE. Mine were disconnected while installing the shaker. Thank you!

not sure if you mean the safety interlock area or the coin slots . If you post a picture of what you are referring to I am sure someone will be able to provide a picture with the wiring or help you out .

#4778 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Nice! That’s great you’re enjoying it so much. I’m sure you’ll have another game shortly. Just seems to work that way.
I can’t wait to dive into this one. I’m going in mostly blind. I’ve only played LOTR a couple dozen times. I’m trying not to spoil the fun of discovering the game by reading rule sheets or watching Bowen videos.

That's always hard for me. While I enjoy discovering new things on my own, I also like knowing what shots to shoot to make said things happen.

#4779 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

[quoted image]

nice, enjoy it! is it unusual for a huo to have the tournament topper?

another option to dress up the sword ramp is the nice handle from rgp!

have fun learning the rules by playing! I think it will be a challenge without at least some glass off confirmation of things that don't come up that often.

#4780 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

It is unusual for sure. The original owner had a massive collection, over 100 games. My guess is it was an option his distributor offered and the cost wasn’t a consideration.

#4781 4 years ago

Or he bought it at a convention and it was in the tournament.

#4782 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

Its unusual for any machine to have the tournament topper; however, it's very unusual for a HUO machine to not have the original keys.

#4783 4 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Or he bought it at a convention and it was in the tournament.

That is a "TOPS" tourney system. You put in an extra dollar to enter the GC tournament for a set period like over 2 weeks, and it recorded who had the highest score, and the operator paid them cash at the end of the specified period. That displayed the score to beat, and the cash amount in the prize pool, etc. That is my recollection from what I read. I did see one running on Stern KISS back in 2015 at SFGE - can't remember if that used the digital display or just the cardboad sign.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5011-00

Retails for $400 and comes with a bunch of parts. Someone had one for T3 for sale on pinside for $200 back 2yrs ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-tops-betabrite-tournament-topper-perfect

#4784 4 years ago

In case any are interested in one, I just posted my laseriffic topper for sale for $135 shipped. Saves you $40 over buying one new from a vendor.

Will be putting more neon signs up so topper has to go.

#4785 4 years ago

I’ve had LOTR for a couple days now. I always enjoy the new game, but I’m enjoying this one more than usual. It’s easy to see why so many people love it. The modes, Fellowship MB, and DTR are so much fun. I don’t know the rules to the other 2 MBs yet. Right now they both seem like shoot everything MBs, with some bonus for combos? I’ll dig into them soon.
It’s also easy to see why people don't like it in group situations. My wife and I were playing last night and after 2 games she decided we should alternate single player games.
Anyway, I am glad I’m in the club. Most of my games have extremely short ball times. LOTR provides a nice balance in my collection.

#4786 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

It’s also easy to see why people don't like it in group situations. My wife and I were playing last night and after 2 games she decided we should alternate single player games.

I like keeping extra balls turned off on my pins which keeps thing moving better when playing with guests.

#4787 4 years ago

installed the ring of fire mod. check out the videos it is a great looking mod and a totally cool effect when the ball is trapped in the ring and the colors oscillate , i would put it right up there with the palintir and path of the dead mods !! worth the wait for mezel mods to get back in stock or direct from maker niro pinball in france.

also switched the graphic on the micro sd to a " warg battle" scene that seems to go with the warg and ringwraith theme of the right side.

my gimli vuk switch went bad , awkard bugger to replace!

021 (resized).jpg021 (resized).jpg017 (resized).jpg017 (resized).jpg
#4788 4 years ago

Have a question for all the lotr owners. Recently looked at an all original lotr. Low plays, never been shopped, original rubbers, no leds, glass is bad (large deep , long scratches. Whats the value of this? Fair offer etc etc. Thanks for everyones time

#4789 4 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

Have a question for all the lotr owners. Recently looked at an all original lotr. Low plays, never been shopped, original rubbers, no leds, glass is bad (large deep , long scratches. Whats the value of this? Fair offer etc etc. Thanks for everyones time

Around $4.5-5K unshopped, $5500 shopped and gone over is what I see for one like that on here and FB Marketplace...

#4790 4 years ago

Kinda what I was thinking as well. Thanks for the input

#4791 4 years ago
Quoted from Ozzy:

Quoted from AUKraut:

Around $4.5-5K unshopped, $5500 shopped and gone over is what I see for one like that on here and FB Marketplace...

Thy sounds about right. Keep in mind that if you upgrade to LEDs, they flicker like crazy on this era stern. An LED ocd board is a must imo.

#4792 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

installed the ring of fire mod. check out the videos it is a great looking mod and a totally cool effect when the ball is trapped in the ring and the colors oscillate

Mine came in today from 2NITRO, was well packaged, shipped right away, and only took 1 week to arrive from France which I feel is fairly quick!

Will install it this weekend if I have time.

#4793 4 years ago

The fire mod looks like a great mod. I wondering if I can install this with the other mods I have without any power issues arising; speaker lights, path of the dead, pinsound board, volcano mod, the blinking eye mod in the backboard, laserific topper and Jays palantir mod. Should there be any issues?

#4794 4 years ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

The fire mod looks like a great mod. I wondering if I can install this with the other mods I have without any power issues arising; speaker lights, path of the dead, pinsound board, volcano mod, the blinking eye mod in the backboard, laserific topper and Jays palantir mod. Should there be any issues?

I have all that (minus pinsound) and more,I don't think you will have any problems

#4795 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

The roll over switches in the through and sword are driving me nuts, can't manage to get them perfectly setup.
Is there a trick of some sort?

So, for the next one to have this issue:
Solved by buying the exact switch reference and replacing them all.
If you put a standard roller roll over switch, it just does not work correctly.

Lesson learned.

#4796 4 years ago

Are other/all modes and multiballs progressive like Fellowship MB?

Meaning, do you start from the beginning on second attempts or do you start where you left off the second time you play each?

#4797 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Are other/all modes and multiballs progressive like Fellowship MB?
Meaning, do you start from the beginning on second attempts or do you start where you left off the second time you play each?

The Two Towers multiball starts off where you left off. The ROTK multiball saves the last completed set of 4 shots but does not save partially completed sets.

#4798 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The Two Towers multiball starts off where you left off. The ROTK multiball saves the last completed set of 4 shots but does not save partially completed sets.

Thanks!

Do you know if any of the modes continue after There and Back Again?

#4799 4 years ago
Quoted from chubtoad13:

Thanks!
Do you know if any of the modes continue after There and Back Again?

Yes, TABA does not reset the movie modes

#4800 4 years ago

after taba all the ring modes are available to be played again completed or not , prior progress is not saved

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/96?hl=lazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.