IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240315-080458 (resized).png
IMG_8433.jpeg
IMG_2627 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,135 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 203.
#4651 4 years ago

Recently got my first pin, a lotr le. I'm really confused with the leveling? I've read up about 6.5 degrees and using a spirit level or the phone app.
My bubble in the shooter won't budge whatever I do though.
As a test.. Even with the front legs raised as high as it goes and the back legs wound all the way down, the bubble is still near the top line? Is my carpet not level?
Should note my pin was nib for 9+ years so perhaps the bubble is broken?
I used the app to set 6.5 and been great. But the bubble us still as shows.

Any advice appreciated.
20190814_152659 (resized).jpg20190814_152659 (resized).jpg

#4652 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Recently got my first pin, a lotr le. I'm really confused with the leveling? I've read up about 6.5 degrees and using a spirit level or the phone app.
As a test.. Even with the front legs raised as high as it goes and the back legs wound all the way down, the bubble is still near the top line? Is my carpet not level?
Any advice appreciated.
[quoted image]

Those bubbles are notoriously bad and should be completely disregarded - especially on LOTR for whatever reason. I've found the bubbles on modern machines to be much more accurate.

#4653 4 years ago

May have a loose screw on one side or something. Trust your playfield measurement.

#4654 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Any advice appreciated.
[quoted image]

I have seen games where the bubble was installed backwards and the bubble would not move regardless of how steep or shallow the playfield was set by the leg levelers because of it.
I have also seen the bubble cylinder pop out of the bracket and give false readings.

#4655 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

[quoted image]

auspin Download an app called pinguy. It is a specifically for leveling you pinball machines. You set the angle you want for that specific game. You can also calibrate it for each machine with the glass re installed. This way you don’t have to pull off your glass to re level if you move the machine around.

#4656 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have seen games where the bubble was installed backwards and the bubble would not move regardless of how steep or shallow the playfield was set by the leg levelers because of it.
I have also seen the bubble cylinder pop out of the bracket and give false readings.

Thanks for all your help guys, I used that app and I am happy with it. Out of interest how do I know if the bubble is installed backwards?

#4657 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Thanks for all your help guys, I used that app and I am happy with it. Out of interest how do I know if the bubble is installed backwards?

Here is an example of a backwards installed level:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dialed-in-assembly-line-set-up/page/13#post-3856014

#4658 4 years ago

Anyone have suggestions for powdercoating LOTR? Im doing a playfield teardown soon and would like to do both at once. Would love some pics suggestions on color matching

#4659 4 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Anyone have suggestions for powdercoating LOTR? Im doing a playfield teardown soon and would like to do both at once. Would love some pics suggestions on color matching

I like the hammered bronze look, see post 4639

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/93#post-5144192

#4660 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

It look correct, there is a small lip on the bracket that faces the shooter lane when installed correctly as yours is. for fun unscrew it and flip it around and see if the bubble is anywhere near your app reading

#4661 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I like the hammered bronze look, see post 4639
(how do you use the link button? I press it and then what? )

To link to a post:
The post number at the top of the post is a link.
Open that link in a new tab, and copy and paste that url here.

post #4639:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/93#post-5144192

#4662 4 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

To link to a post:
The post number at the top of the post is a link.
Open that link in a new tab, and copy and paste that url here.
post 4639:

got it!

#4663 4 years ago

Has anyone added a "Twilight Frodo" figure to their game? I know it's already loaded with figures, but I thought this one might look cool illuminated by the Ringwraith. I'm actually debating about removing the red flasher and just using a glowing figure instead.

s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

#4664 4 years ago
Quoted from Digduglus:

Here's mine, I had Robertstone0407 do it. Looks fantastic in person, you can't really see the coin door and shooter housing very well in the pics but they're black with gold flake.

20190720_155053 (resized).jpg20190720_155053 (resized).jpg20190720_155115 (resized).jpg20190720_155115 (resized).jpg20190720_155129 (resized).jpg20190720_155129 (resized).jpg20190720_155137 (resized).jpg20190720_155137 (resized).jpg20190720_155207 (resized).jpg20190720_155207 (resized).jpg
#4665 4 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Here's mine, I had Robertstone0407 do it. Looks fantastic in person, you can't really see the coin door and shooter housing very well in the pics but they're black with gold flake.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Whoa! The One Ring on your key fob is HUGE! It must have just been cut from Sauron's hand before Isildur wielded it (nerd hat is ON).....

#4666 4 years ago

Good eye ! Yes it's actual size as it should be imo with all the elven writing. It's beautiful

#4667 4 years ago

Prismatic Grecian Gold Vein

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/EVS-1512/grecian-gold-vein

Make sure a final gloss clear is applied as well. Seals it all up, smooths it out, and makes the color pop nicely.

#4668 4 years ago

Maintenance issue. LOTR can not find the balls. I tested the switches and it seems that 11 & 12 the ball trough ball micro switches are not working correctly. It doesn't seem to be the optos so I guess that is good. My question is how hard is it to replace these switches? What's the procedure? I am thinking of just ordering a new trough assembly and swapping it out. I can't say my mechanical skills are high. Anyone else run into this situation?

#4669 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me if the game saves your progress in the multiballs. When i play a multiball again does it pick up where I left off in terms of progress?

#4670 4 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Can anyone tell me if the game saves your progress in the multiballs. When i play a multiball again does it pick up where I left off in terms of progress?

Yes ,although I think for rotk and tt not to the exact shot made so for example if you have made 2 3/4 shots you will restart at level 2 when you restart

#4671 4 years ago

Thanks!

#4672 4 years ago

Thought last night was going to be Valinor glory!

Completed everything and started DTR. Made the two shots left, and then the right ramp. Tried to hit the right orbit and it rattled off the post, came and drained!!!

Sooooooooooooo close!!!

Still my favorite pinball machine ever!

#4673 4 years ago

Looks like I should get to pick up one of these next weekend. Has been on my short list since I got back into pins 5yrs ago. Pretty stoked.

Time to go back and read 94 pages of this thread. Don’t foresee much productivity at work this week...

#4674 4 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Time to go back and read 94 pages of this thread. Don’t foresee much productivity at work this week...

I just skip through the pictures in the gallery to see what's up with a new pin.

#4675 4 years ago

I got my new LOTR shopped and cleaned and the only issue I have at this point is that my path of the dead rollovers are not registering consistently. It started out as only rollover 3 and it would work ok if I reconnected the molex connector in the back. Then after the shop job and removing the path of the dead again it didn't want to register at all. I checked the switch with my meter and it seems to be ok. I checked for connectivity between the switch terminals and the molex pins and that seems ok. I was playing tonight and rollover 3 registered about 30% of the time and I did notice a couple times rollover 4 didn't register.

Bad molex connections in the back? Any ideas?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#4676 4 years ago

Another question, where do most people have their out lane posts set? Mine is set on the hardest hole which is apparently how it came from the factory but I am considering moving to the middle hole in a home environment.

#4677 4 years ago
Quoted from Kronlar:

Looks like I should get to pick up one of these next weekend. Has been on my short list since I got back into pins 5yrs ago. Pretty stoked.

Haha, I did the same thing when I was waiting for mine back on page 86 or so. Budget your time as you will also need to review interesting side threads on cool mods and other topics as well!

#4678 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

Another question, where do most people have their out lane posts set? Mine is set on the hardest hole which is apparently how it came from the factory but I am considering moving to the middle hole in a home environment.

Sorry I couldn't help on POTD switch issue. Hope you are able to solve it.

re:outlanes

I am firmly in the camp of "put them where ever the hell you want!"

No shame if you close them down. Have fun with the machine in your own home. And don't be afraid to talk about good games you've had, or that "1 shot away from DTR.". Don't worry about the purists who complain that you're using 5 balls or have your outlanes closed down, or whatever.

Unless you're trying to practice for tournaments. Than make your game wicked.

For the record, we've got LOTR with outlanes wide open (they came that way), and 5 balls. My wife enjoys it that way, and when she's playing pinball, I'm happy!

Our Stern Star Wars LE has outlanes closed down, and 3 balls.

Our Beatles has outlanes closed down, and 3 balls. Keeping default of 3 maximum extra balls for now, but that may change. I've gotten to Taxman multiball, but it is hard.

Just my $0.25.

#4679 4 years ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

My outlane posts are removed. Inlane posts have no rubber. Game is still plenty playable.

#4680 4 years ago

I'm honestly not even a huge fan of figures, but these additions were my first mods. I also plan to also upgrade the other figures to include the weapons. I assume Stern removed them to prevent them from falling off on routed games. I have everything ordered, which includes the daggers for Frodo, Pippin, and Merry, plus the staffs for Gandalf and Saruman.

"Army of the Dead" mounted between the lanes on the Path of the Dead.
20190819_080529 (resized).jpg20190819_080529 (resized).jpg

"Twilight Frodo" added to the Ringwraith
20190819_080503 (resized).jpg20190819_080503 (resized).jpg

#4681 4 years ago

I've recently got all the figurines for my LE.
Also got the pinbits LE mounting kit.

I have mounted all the figurines except white Gandalf on shadowfax, I just can't seem to work that one out..

Does anyone have some pics or can explain how to do this one?
The pinbits picture didn't help either as the bottom plastic is a color piece where as on mine it's a clear plastic.

Cheers

20190819_233557 (resized).jpg20190819_233557 (resized).jpg20190819_233606 (resized).jpg20190819_233606 (resized).jpg
#4682 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

I've recently got all the figurines for my LE.
Also got the pinbits LE mounting kit.
I have mounted all the figurines except white Gandalf on shadowfax, I just can't seem to work that one out..
Does anyone have some pics or can explain how to do this one?
The pinbits picture didn't help either as the bottom plastic is a color piece where as on mine it's a clear plastic.
Cheers[quoted image][quoted image]

Here are the pics from when I shopped my LOTR. Unfortunately I can’t take any other pics at this time as it’s on location at a friend’s house....
3057D59B-6EE7-48A5-9C87-AEEDA904ED0C (resized).jpeg3057D59B-6EE7-48A5-9C87-AEEDA904ED0C (resized).jpeg61F48CAB-58D7-4C96-8CDE-2EE9BF98E7EE (resized).jpeg61F48CAB-58D7-4C96-8CDE-2EE9BF98E7EE (resized).jpeg81317508-4E0D-4E5A-8080-AB9EBD42B88D (resized).jpeg81317508-4E0D-4E5A-8080-AB9EBD42B88D (resized).jpeg9ED1B08C-5B35-4D6C-95E4-40439D2994AC (resized).jpeg9ED1B08C-5B35-4D6C-95E4-40439D2994AC (resized).jpegD242AD94-41DA-4E4B-AD9E-991923E9FE3D (resized).jpegD242AD94-41DA-4E4B-AD9E-991923E9FE3D (resized).jpegD6D16494-33EE-4271-9555-5F7D7C5FBA1F (resized).jpegD6D16494-33EE-4271-9555-5F7D7C5FBA1F (resized).jpeg
1878F143-784E-4C71-BC10-0CF15D08FA60 (resized).jpeg1878F143-784E-4C71-BC10-0CF15D08FA60 (resized).jpeg

#4683 4 years ago

hey guys, would the magnet sloblo fuse affect the ability of the magnet's power (as in it sucks the ball in more consistently) if it's a 4amp? I have an original non-LE and i'm curious if it just makes it so it works or not, or if i replaced it would it improve the magnet's ability. Do fuses start to lose function/impact performance over time? Or is it more of a work/not work scenario?

#4684 4 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

hey guys, would the magnet sloblo fuse affect the ability of the magnet's power (as in it sucks the ball in more consistently)

The biggest factor that will effect this is magnet heat caused during the hold portion, this can be effected by the games pitch and level as well as if the game is on a stable surface (padded carpet vs concrete) as the magnet has to work harder to hold the ball.

#4685 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Here are the pics from when I shopped my LOTR. Unfortunately I can’t take any other pics at this time as it’s on location at a friend’s house....
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Is yours a standard lotr? I noticed yours has that pink and purple plastic piece as the base where as mine is clear. Is it the same piece?

#4686 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Is yours a standard lotr? I noticed yours has that pink and purple plastic piece as the base where as mine is clear. Is it the same piece?

Mine is a standard, and I'm not sure of the detail differences between it and your LE. Just thought I'd post my shopping pics to see if they help you.....

#4687 4 years ago

My NIB LE has about 250 games on it and I don't think the ring magnet is holding balls anymore.
Did a forum search and suggested it could be the fuse? This is my first ever pinball so new to any kind of troubleshooting.
I opened the backbox and the F7 fuse had some black in it, looks to be blown?
The suggestion seems to be replace with a 5A slow blow fuse on the LE.
Does that sound correct?

20190820_201249 (resized).jpg20190820_201249 (resized).jpg
#4689 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

My NIB LE has about 250 games on it and I don't think the ring magnet is holding balls anymore.
Did a forum search and suggested it could be the fuse? This is my first ever pinball so new to any kind of troubleshooting.
I opened the backbox and the F7 fuse had some black in it, looks to be blown?
Does that sound correct?[quoted image]

Try a 4 amp slow blow again. My NIB LE fuse blew early on (several years ago) and then the replacement fuse has held up ever since. I believe Stern had a bad batch of fuses.

#4690 4 years ago

I swapped out Gollum with the version from "The Capture of Smeagol" play set. Also moved him to over the Gollum's Cave shot. I mounted him by counter sinking the nut into the base of the figure.
20190820_081211 (resized).jpg20190820_081211 (resized).jpg

#4691 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

Does that sound correct?

I agree with DCFAN ... I would put another 4A SB in there, if it blows right away you have other issues, if it blows in a year, then its just fuse fatigue.

#4692 4 years ago

So my colordmd randomly went blank in the middle of a game. Rebooted. Still blank. It had power because I was able to get into the menu. Finally, I shut it down for an hour and rebooted. It came up and has been fine since. The only change I have made was to add the fancy new Palantir but i can’t imaging that’s messing with the power

#4693 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So my colordmd randomly went blank in the middle of a game. Rebooted. Still blank. It had power because I was able to get into the menu. Finally, I shut it down for an hour and rebooted. It came up and has been fine since. The only change I have made was to add the fancy new Palantir but i can’t imaging that’s messing with the power

The Palantir mod should not be the issue here, as it ties directly into the existing stock Palantir lighting plug & circuit only. Electrically it uses a Comet 4SMD Wedge bulb and a 1N4004 diode to help prevent any ghosting issues.

One guess at this point that while raising and lower the playfield it ever so slightly pulled on the ColorDMD wiring. I've also seen a ColorDMD on other games (SAM and WPC) randomly do what you described, then start working again without incident.

If it does reoccur ColorDMD's support is phenomenal, reach out to them and they will help diagnose.

#4694 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Sounds like a connection related issue ... There are only 3 things that will cause this (aside from the ColorDMD) and that's a loss of 12V to the display, a loss of 5V to the display driver, or a loss of data (ribbon cable) either to the display board or the display itself.

One thing I did to eliminate unnecessary connection was to perform a minor modification to eliminate all connection points to the plasma driver board since the only purpose this board serves with a LED or LCD display is to pass +5V to the display driver board.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/61#post-4442968

#4695 4 years ago
Quoted from auspin:

I don't think the ring magnet is holding balls anymore.
Does that sound correct?[quoted image]

No...it doesn't sound correct.

Verbiage...VERBIAGE!

#4696 4 years ago

Made a video on how to fix some ring issues on the game. I’ve had to fix it a couple times for random things.

#4697 4 years ago

Any ideas what would cause the game to randomly go to attract mode in the middle of playing a ball? This happens rarely, but it is extremely frustrating. There seems to be no pattern of switches or modes that cause it. Thanks in advance for the help.

#4698 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Has anyone added a "Twilight Frodo" figure to their game? I know it's already loaded with figures, but I thought this one might look cool illuminated by the Ringwraith. I'm actually debating about removing the red flasher and just using a glowing figure instead.
[quoted image]

Where would I get this figure? A search returns many Twilight Frodo's, but not that one. Thanks in advance.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4699 4 years ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Where would I get this figure? A search returns many Twilight Frodo's, but not that one. Thanks in advance.[quoted image]

Here you go. ebay.com link: Lord of the Rings Armies of Middle Earth Twilight Ambush at Weathertop

#4700 4 years ago

tyvm

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 12.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,135 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/94?hl=lazar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.