IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 204.
#401 8 years ago

hey gang

i installed the ledocd board last week and it makes a world of difference on LotR. no more led light flickering and no more ghosting. the leds look great!

#402 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hey gang
i installed the ledocd board last week and it makes a world of difference on LotR. no more led light flickering and no more ghosting. the leds look great!

Hey Busa,

Would you be able to post a video? I'd love to see it in action. I have some ghosting on the LEDs that were previously done to mine and I'm debating if I should try to replace them or just do LED OCD. Thanks.

#403 8 years ago

here is a quick video. the after part is around 1:10 i have my fade set to be a little longer than stock.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76irhynwnn96y7y/lotr.mp4?dl=0

#404 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

here is a quick video. the after part is around 1:10 i have my fade set to be a little longer than stock.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76irhynwnn96y7y/lotr.mp4?dl=0

Man that looks good, thank you for uploading the video! Nice looking machine too. I feel like this is one of those "can't unsee it" moments and my LOTR just won't look the same now.

#405 8 years ago

go fotr it. its 130. installing the board is easy. if you have a laptop it is easy to setup the software.

#406 8 years ago

I have owned LOTR for three years now and love it just as much now as when I brought it home. The rules, strategy, flow, callouts, and overall depth of the game is second to none. I am not a LOTR movie fan at all. I even tried to go back and watch the movies after I bought the machine and couldn't finish the first one. I can see how someone wouldn't like it in a public setting because it does have to be dialed in quite often. As mentioned earlier in this post, the center spinner and switch needs to be in perfect alignment or it will take the game from a 9.5 rated game to a chopping wood 6 rated game. For my machine the switch needs to be completely horizontal with the switch arm bent slightly up so that it activates the magnet in time. I have put many games on the ST premium and while it is pretty and an overall awesome game, LOTR is still the better pin. If anyone is debating whether to add this to their collection, plan on giving it a little love and care every once in a while, but it is well worth it.

#407 8 years ago
Quoted from bpeed99:

I have owned LOTR for three years now and love it just as much now as when I brought it home. The rules, strategy, flow, callouts, and overall depth of the game is second to none. I am not a LOTR movie fan at all. I even tried to go back and watch the movies after I bought the machine and couldn't finish the first one. I can see how someone wouldn't like it in a public setting because it does have to be dialed in quite often. As mentioned earlier in this post, the center spinner and switch needs to be in perfect alignment or it will take the game from a 9.5 rated game to a chopping wood 6 rated game. For my machine the switch needs to be completely horizontal with the switch arm bent slightly up so that it activates the magnet in time. I have put many games on the ST premium and while it is pretty and an overall awesome game, LOTR is still the better pin. If anyone is debating whether to add this to their collection, plan on giving it a little love and care every once in a while, but it is well worth it.

Dialled in there is nothing like it. A lot of people buy LOTR as their first machine, as I did. But when it's your fist machine Valinor is just a pipe dream. It can get frustrating as the goals are so lofty and be beyond a newer player's reach. I sold mine and moved on. But as I got better I realised I had left so much of what LOTR has to offer on the table. I then searched out a nice one and bought it back. And here it stays this time. Even more rewarding second time around.

#408 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Dialled in there is nothing like it. A lot of people buy LOTR as their first machine, as I did. But when it's your fist machine Valinor is just a pipe dream. It can get frustrating as the goals are so lofty and be beyond a newer player's reach. I sold mine and moved on. But as I got better I realised I had left so much of what LOTR has to offer on the table. I then searched out a nice one and bought it back. And here it stays this time. Even more rewarding second time around.

It really is a super game. I have completed all of the modes, TABA, the movies, and destroyed the ring at different times, but still haven't put a complete game together to get to Valinor. It stands the test of time. If I ever complete it, I am not sure if it will lose it's appeal or not. Congrats on getting it back, it would have been a shame not ever knowing you owned a gem.

#409 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

go fotr it. its 130. installing the board is easy. if you have a laptop it is easy to setup the software.

Sold. Ordered one tonight

#410 8 years ago

matt shoot me a pm if you have any trouble. i can walk ya through it.

#411 8 years ago
Quoted from KenEberhardt:

Any advice on the best LED backbox solution for LotR?
Not much feedback on my general post, except for an excellent DIY reply: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-led-backbox-for-lotr
Hope this is a better place to ask
Thx Ken

Here is what I did by tying into the 12V circuit. The back glass looks much richer with the warm LEDs. If you are into modding lighting up the path of the dead looks pretty cool too.

20160127_180050_(resized).jpg20160127_180050_(resized).jpg

20160127_180128_(resized).jpg20160127_180128_(resized).jpg

#412 8 years ago

Quick question, if anyone knows. What is the purpose of this post (circled in red)? I'm finding every 5 or 6 times the ball comes down the wireform out the ring so fast that it hops of at the last 'curve', over the edge and gets stuck between this post and the wireform and no amount of nudging or shaking will free it. I have to take the glass off and push the ball down into gollums cave. For the moment as a temporary fix I've removed it and put a rubber round the top of where it screws into to see if when it does hop over the edge it might just roll onto the hole instead, but I haven't had it happen again yet!

Post_(resized).jpgPost_(resized).jpg

#413 8 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

gets stuck between this post and the wireform

It looks like you have the post and washer mounted on the wrong screw. Check out mine.

IMG_9933_(resized).JPGIMG_9933_(resized).JPG

IMG_9932_(resized).JPGIMG_9932_(resized).JPG

#414 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

It looks like you have the post and washer mounted on the wrong screw. Check out mine.
IMG_9933_(resized).JPG
IMG_9932_(resized).JPG

Thanks, that was just an example picture as I couldn't get one on my machine but I will have a look when I get home.

#415 8 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

I will have a look when I get home.

OK, post a pic with the ball stuck. Looking at mine, I can't even see how it is possible.

#416 8 years ago
Quoted from bpeed99:

It really is a super game. I have completed all of the modes, TABA, the movies, and destroyed the ring at different times, but still haven't put a complete game together to get to Valinor. It stands the test of time. If I ever complete it, I am not sure if it will lose it's appeal or not. Congrats on getting it back, it would have been a shame not ever knowing you owned a gem.

After getting to Valinor it hasn't lost its appeal to me. Maybe if I was getting there consistently it would, but I still play it alot.

#417 8 years ago

Just joined the club and a happy member for sure. Had a chance to buy an LOTR as my first pin but chose TOM instead. No regrets on TOM but I'm really enjoying the LOTR. I've only played a few games but each time I've seen a new look, new mode, new sounds. I think it will be a keeper.

I grabbed this HUO one locally from a super nice guy that had owned since new in Jan 2004. Only PB he had ever owned. 1,475 plays total but other than the PF being dull and dirty (polished up nice with Treasure Cove kit), it looks like new.

What rubbers/superbands are you all using. It needs new rubber and I want to add the best

Any other must have mods?

Here is what is already on order:
- Jayspinball palantir ball mod
- Shaker motor
- PAL for shaker
- Wood rail protector
- Cliffys (all 3)
- Pinbits protectors
- Habitrail brass wire mod
- Shire image decals
- POTD figures/lighted (I'm mailing my figures to Pinball Refinery)

20160128_215152_(resized).jpg20160128_215152_(resized).jpg20160128_214202_(resized).jpg20160128_214202_(resized).jpg20160128_214155_(resized).jpg20160128_214155_(resized).jpg20160128_214226_(resized).jpg20160128_214226_(resized).jpg20160128_214908_(resized).jpg20160128_214908_(resized).jpg

#418 8 years ago

Finally made it to TABA for the first time, couldn't believe it. Made a couple shots then proceeded to lose the ball down the middle shortly after. Does this mode have to be completed and then you advance to Valinor? Excited to keep trying and advance further within the game.

#419 8 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

Finally made it to TABA for the first time, couldn't believe it. Made a couple shots then proceeded to lose the ball down the middle shortly after. Does this mode have to be completed and then you advance to Valinor? Excited to keep trying and advance further within the game.

Starting TABA is a requirement for Valinor. You don't have to beat it, though.

#420 8 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Any other must have mods?
Here is what is already on order:
- Jayspinball palantir ball mod
- Shaker motor
- PAL for shaker
- Wood rail protector
- Cliffys (all 3)
- Pinbits protectors
- Habitrail brass wire mod
- Shire image decals
- POTD figures/lighted (I'm mailing my figures to Pinball Refinery)

Thats a lot of mods!

Looks like you listed this already:
http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=464

I like the bass response of the FF speakers in my LotR.

Others might say the color DMD is a must.

Edit -
Sting shooter rod looks great installed IMHO.
http://cointaker.com/products/lord-of-the-rings-sword-custom-shooter-rod

#421 8 years ago

I was looking for the palantir mod. Where do you order that?

#422 8 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

I was looking for the palantir mod. Where do you order that?

http://www.jayspinball.com/

#423 8 years ago
Quoted from bpeed99:

It really is a super game. I have completed all of the modes, TABA, the movies, and destroyed the ring at different times, but still haven't put a complete game together to get to Valinor. It stands the test of time.

I think this is exactly why it stands the test of time. It is possible to do everything that is needed to get to Valinor, but it is almost impossible to do them all in the same game. That let's me kid myself that I can get there. All I have to do is put together that one game.

#424 8 years ago

Thank you. Ordered.

#425 8 years ago

I am looking for a topper for my LOTR.
I would prefer Matt McKee but I am open to something else.
Let me know if you have one you want to sell.

#426 8 years ago

I am thinking about removing everything from the playfield to replace worn and broken parts. If you have done this, how hard is it? I did a Monopoly and it was rather easy (not a complete tear down but enough to get what I needed done). LOTR seems to have more going on. Also thinking about a playfield protector - anyone installed one and your thoughts on it? Thanks!

#427 8 years ago

Bonanza, I have done a complete teardown on both of those machines. LOTR is definitely more involved, especially the sword ramp. Just take tons of pictures for reference, that's the only way I got mine back together.

#428 8 years ago

Hi all. Is there a way to mount the POTD figures without the clear plastic? I have seen it but would prefer not to have it on. Anyone have experience? They are not lighted, just adding them on. Thanks!!
Jimmy

#429 8 years ago
Quoted from bonanza:

I am thinking about removing everything from the playfield to replace worn and broken parts. If you have done this, how hard is it? I did a Monopoly and it was rather easy (not a complete tear down but enough to get what I needed done). LOTR seems to have more going on. Also thinking about a playfield protector - anyone installed one and your thoughts on it? Thanks!

With every game just follow the same process. Before you start take lots of pictures of all sections of the playfield from different angles. Repeat these as you get deeper and expose more. Never assume that the parts that are in your game are the correct parts. This is important with hex posts. Sometimes the game may have been taken apart by someone that just was not meticulous in putting it together. Take it slow, and loose fit everything before you lock it in. When ready to start the next part, make sure the last is secure. And when taking apart, measure hex posts and keep them organized. Avoid the desire to just throw all the parts in a bowl (I use a lot of bowls for different sections of the game).

It really ends up being a logical flow. Some games do require information (like the ramp installation order of Demo Man). But for the most part they come apart and go back together in a straightforward manner. Seeing you have taken apart a Monopoly, as long as you got it back together, LOTR shouldn't be that bad.

(Oh, and one thing I do on some parts, right when taking it out I snap a picture of it sort of in my hand, maybe pointing at a small feature or screw. Then when I look at those pictures later putting the part back it really focuses in my mind how it came out.)

#430 8 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

matt shoot me a pm if you have any trouble. i can walk ya through it.

Installed the LED OCD board the other day, the game looks so much better. Install is very simple and of course I read the instructions, saw the note about not installing the board over top of the mounting posts in the metal plate in the back box...and stuck the board right over top of them. I just had to pull off the feet and restick everything, then also pull my head out of my ass.

I had so much ghosting before I installed the LED OCD (as a note, I did not LED this game, I bought it that way). The skills shots, Orc letters, shoot again, and gift from the elves inserts all ghosted very badly. That is all taken care of now. The light shows that correspond with starting the various modes work now as intended, and the attract mode no longer gives me seizures. In short, I'm loving this thing.

#431 8 years ago

My four+ year journey for a minty LOTR at the right price finally concluded this week. Very happy to be a part of this club. While most of the game is dialed in very well, there are two things I was wondering if people could chime in quick on (sorry, didn't feel like sifting through 5000 posts):

1. Gollum/Gimli upkicker - looks like mine has plenty of oomph, where it kicks it strong enough the ball rolls around the arc and then back up and falls down about 25% of the time. Any suggestions to get this to be more "perfect?"
2. Left orbit shot bouncing out of Baradur - really fast shots sometimes bounce out instead of landing and staying in the saucer to read the orbit shot. Any suggestions to help keep fast shots stopped in the hole up there in the right corner?

Also just curious:
1. How many of you leave the "cave troll" intro part enabled to the fellowship multiball? It's fun and worth points, but at the same time it sucks if you use your palantir ball save during that part when it would come in more handy when you are actually trying to beat the multiball.
2. How many of you have the Destroy the ring set to have to use the second ball to knock the held ball through to destroy the ring?

Ordered about $400 in mods the day after - can't wait to spruce this baby up, one of the best parts of pinball.

#432 8 years ago

Gimli vuk - loosen the return ramp and slightly shift its positioning. This one will require a lot of trial and error but eventually you should find the sweet spot. Had to do this on mine and now it's about a 1% failure rate. Same thing goes for airballs off the Legolas ramp; shifting the ramp position has a huge effect on how that shot behaves.

Baradur bounce outs - I removed the small spacer that's screwed into the playfield behind the saucer and placed drop dead foam on the scoop. Near 100% retention rate now.

Cave troll is pretty easy to beat with the standard 3 balls, so I always try to leave the add a ball for later, and IMO 2 ball DTR is the only way to go! Such a satisfying shot when you hit it.

#433 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

1. How many of you leave the "cave troll" intro part enabled to the fellowship multiball? It's fun and worth points, but at the same time it sucks if you use your palantir ball save during that part when it would come in more handy when you are actually trying to beat the multiball.
2. How many of you have the Destroy the ring set to have to use the second ball to knock the held ball through to destroy the ring?

I have cave troll enabled and 2 ball DTR.

#434 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Ordered about $400 in mods the day after - can't wait to spruce this baby up, one of the best parts of pinball.

I have Cave Troll on and factory settings where you have to knock the first ball through with the second.

#435 8 years ago

Anyone direct me to the best toy/figurine for the witch-king to add as a mod? I want the version with the metal helm and the big mace. Seen a few different pics of various mods in games that look sweet.

#436 8 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I have Cave Troll on and factory settings where you have to knock the first ball through with the second.

I have Cave Troll on (I like it). However I went to a single ball DTR. I kept getting both balls stuck in the ring and it cost me DTR a couple times. I still have to hit it twice, but I don't have to pop the second through.

#437 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Anyone direct me to the best toy/figurine for the witch-king to add as a mod? I want the version with the metal helm and the big mace. Seen a few different pics of various mods in games that look sweet.

This is the one I used and is from the same toy run as the other LOTR figures:

ebay.com link: Lord Of The Rings Armies Middle Earth Battle Scenes PELENNOR FIELDS w Fell Beast

http://www.amazon.com/Rings-Battle-Scenes-Pelennor-Fields/dp/B0001GBQ8I/ref=sr_1_1

#438 8 years ago

Cave Troll On. Been on 1 ball DTR, but just changed it to 2 ball to try it out. Then, my next 3 games sucked of course and didn't get to DTR! Perhaps tomorrow I'll experience what the 2-ball is like...

#439 8 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I kept getting both balls stuck in the ring and it cost me DTR a couple times. I still have to hit it twice, but I don't have to pop the second through.

My LOTR would do this when I first got it, because the balls had been magnetized. Bought new premium pinballs from pinball life and have been enjoying 2 ball DTR since.

#440 8 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

My LOTR would do this when I first got it, because the balls had been magnetized. Bought new premium pinballs from pinball life and have been enjoying 2 ball DTR since.

I had trouble with the 2 balls sticking in the ring. I saw in my settings that the coil power was on high. I changed it to normal and no more problem. I'm guessing that it affected the power of the magnet as well as the coils.

#441 8 years ago

I finally destroyed the ring and beat the grand champion default score! I'm starting to get the flow of this game. This game is a keeper!

#442 8 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Thanks! I'll swap them out and give it a try.

#443 8 years ago

What is everyone's best destroy the ring time? I accomplished it in 15 seconds this week, couldn't believe it.

#444 8 years ago

2. Left orbit shot bouncing out of Baradur - really fast shots sometimes bounce out instead of landing and staying in the saucer to read the orbit shot. Any suggestions to help keep fast shots stopped in the hole up there in the right corner?

This might sound weird but my machine does this too but only when the playfield gets a little dirty and needs to be cleaned.

#445 8 years ago
Quoted from Pindufus:

This might sound weird but my machine does this too but only when the playfield gets a little dirty and needs to be cleaned.

Drop dead foam

#446 8 years ago

Can anyone please school me in on the proper way to play ring frenzy for max points, I never really payed much attention to it but cashed it in on 10 mil last night which I've never done before, my highest before that was 6 mil, but before was nothing worth being note worthy , so was hoping some one can tell me exactly what I did to get a 10 mil cash in on ring frenzy? Coz I was super stoked!! Cheers..

#447 8 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Can anyone please school me in on the proper way to play ring frenzy for max points, I never really payed much attention to it but cashed it in on 10 mil last night which I've never done before, my highest before that was 6 mil, but before was nothing worth being note worthy , so was hoping some one can tell me exactly what I did to get a 10 mil cash in on ring frenzy? Coz I was super stoked!! Cheers..

I believe it gives more points if you make the same shots three times in a row. Make all the shots that way and then shoot the ring.

#448 8 years ago

Thought I'd post a few pics of the recent mods/updates to my (new to me) LOTR

Added Shire decal
Added all 3 cliffys
Added sword decal
Habitrail brass wire mod
Arwen protector from Pinbits
Replaced the VUK switch in Gollum cave (was getting wonky)
Added new (upgraded PB Life) bumper post left of ring ramp
Bought the Army of the Dead figures off Ebay - going to send them away for POTD mod

20160204_220311_001_(resized).jpg20160204_220311_001_(resized).jpg
20160204_220331_(resized).jpg20160204_220331_(resized).jpg
20160204_220359_(resized).jpg20160204_220359_(resized).jpg
20160204_220325_(resized).jpg20160204_220325_(resized).jpg
20160205_182729_(resized).jpg20160205_182729_(resized).jpg

#449 8 years ago

You did a better job than I did installing that sword decal. That thing was a pain to get on correctly.

#450 8 years ago
Quoted from DadofTwins:

What is everyone's best destroy the ring time? I accomplished it in 15 seconds this week, couldn't believe it.

14 seconds.

Kidding. 56.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 39.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/9 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.