IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 204.
#4251 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

The manual shows no part like this.

I checked Marco for lord of the rings posts. Is this it?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5332-03

#4252 4 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

It could be an alignment issue. See the following post I made on this thread several years ago...

fyi...aligning it didn't work for me. I believe my wireform isn't as rigid after 15 years of use and has more play/bounce. The zip tie removes the bounce and works great. Hopefully it will be of use to others that may be bitten by this...

#4253 4 years ago

The threads on the top of that post are trashed. Just replace the post. I'm not sure if that washer even belongs there. The post that Neal_W linked above does appear to be the correct post.

#4254 4 years ago

PS, one of the rare instances that Marco is less $ than PBL. LOL

#4255 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Looks like that post has seen better days. The washer isn't supposed to be trapped on there by that lip. File the lip off and remove the washer, slip the sleeve on and you should be good to go.

Quoted from Neal_W:

I checked Marco for lord of the rings posts. Is this it?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/530-5332-03

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The threads on the top of that post are trashed. Just replace the post. I'm not sure if that washer even belongs there. The post that neal_w linked above does appear to be the correct post.

Yes, that is the post. I didn't realize it was so bad, or I would have ordered some with my last PBL order. I did order the upgraded left ring ramp post. That puppy isn't going to bend.

I'm cleaning, waxing, checking screws & connections, and replacing all rubbers in an attempt to get my LOTR ready to volunteer for our local pinball/arcade show (deadline 5/15 if I want other volunteers to pick it up), and my wife wants me to get the Precious back up and running. So, I'm going to try and make it work for now, and order some replacement hardware on my next order.

Thanks for the help!

#4256 4 years ago

Hey Adam,

Since you have your machine pulled apart, you might want to inspect/protect the wires to the right of the sword ramp. After 15 years, the sword switch wires were cut and the ramp gate were beaten pretty badly.

IMG_1912 (resized).jpegIMG_1912 (resized).jpeg
#4257 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey Adam,

Since you have your machine pulled apart, you might want to inspect/protect the wires to the right of the sword ramp. After 15 years, the sword switch wires were cut and the ramp gate were beaten pretty badly.

Thanks for the heads-up. A previous owner took care of the sword ramp wires. I will reinforce the ramp gate wires with some shrink wrap.

IMG_2995 (resized).JPGIMG_2995 (resized).JPGIMG_2996 (resized).JPGIMG_2996 (resized).JPG
#4258 4 years ago

Hey, isn't it awesome when you have a long first ball almost getting to DTR and think hell yeah! Then lose the 2nd and 3rd in a matter of seconds!?

Fuuuuuuuuu...

#4259 4 years ago

Speaking of the sword ramp, I recently picked up my LOTR and noticed sometimes when returning round the right orbit it looked like it changed direction and then went STDM. So I removed the glass today and took a closer look and I noticed there was an orange wire hanging in the orbit, does anyone know what this is supposed to be attached to (probably needs re-soldering)? But I'm not sure where. Maybe it's the orange wire from Adaminski picture above. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

20190516_144934_resized (resized).jpg20190516_144934_resized (resized).jpg20190516_144959_resized (resized).jpg20190516_144959_resized (resized).jpg20190516_145030_resized (resized).jpg20190516_145030_resized (resized).jpg
#4260 4 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Speaking of the sword ramp, I recently picked up my LOTR and noticed sometimes when returning round the right orbit it looked like it changed direction and then went STDM. So I removed the glass today and took a closer look and I noticed there was an orange wire hanging in the orbit, does anyone know what this is supposed to be attached to (probably needs re-soldering)? But I'm not sure where. Maybe it's the orange wire from Adaminski picture above. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's either the "ramp enter" switch or the "sword enter" switch. Go into switch test mode and see which are/aren't firing properly. Based on my photo above, it looks like the "ramp enter" switch is severed.

#4261 4 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Hey, isn't it awesome when you have a long first ball almost getting to DTR and think hell yeah! Then lose the 2nd and 3rd in a matter of seconds!?
Fuuuuuuuuu...

Haha, yup that's pinball!

I have had so many games like that on LOTR, I'm surprised I haven't flipped the machine over!

The worst for me was getting within 1 shot of starting Valinor, but the weak flippers wouldn't make the shot up the ramp

I didn't play pinball for a month after that!

#4262 4 years ago
Quoted from Red_Devils:

Thanks

Yes, like snaroff , I expect that the orange wire is for the Aragorn sword ramp gate switch - the gate that is triggered upon entering the ramp. Re-solder to the bottom of the switch as in my photo. This is assuming that nobody randomly switched wire colors on a repair, and that the connector under the machine is plugged in correctly. Might be good to make connection without soldering (alligator clips are helpful), and use switch test mode in diagnostics. Dig down in menus until you find switch test grid. Manually move a couple switches so you can see how the switch test mode works, then move the ones in question.

When re-soldering, make sure you don't melt the switch.

-Adam

#4263 4 years ago

My LOTR sound went out.
All help is appreciated.

It was working fine and just stopped during a game. No voices or sounds all the sudden.
There was no pop, it just stopped.

All fuses checked good. I reseated connections and they seem fine. The ribbons and wires were moved, so they should be the issue.

Any ideas??

#4264 4 years ago

Don't forget to try the forum search function. It can be pretty useful since most things have been covered before.

Here you go:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-sound-now-gone

#4265 4 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Don't forget to try the forum search function. It can be pretty useful since most things have been covered before.
Here you go:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-sound-now-gone

There were a couple of posts i found via the thread search function. Unfortunately, they don't seem to address my issue.

#4266 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

There were a couple of posts i found via the thread search function. Unfortunately, they don't seem to address my issue.

Likely the same U8 surface mount chip that others have had fail as in the thread listed two posts above.

#4267 4 years ago

I've owned my LOTR for a couple of months now and it has this really annoying issue the previous owner didn't experience. Mainly the left flipper (but on occasion the right one has shown the same symptoms) just dies on me.

I press the flipper button and nothing, no flip, I push it again and no flip and then push it frantically as I'm about to drain and it comes back to life and works fine. This naturally happens at the worst time, time to seek some help.

I'm not seeing anything wrong with the EOS switch on the flipper mech or the flipper switch either. Every register's fine in test... this can happen within minutes of turning the game on so I don't think it is a coil over heating, when it starts flipping again it comes back at full strength, it just dies on me... any thoughts?

#4268 4 years ago
Quoted from Adaminski:

Yes, like snaroff , I expect that the orange wire is for the Aragorn sword ramp gate switch - the gate that is triggered upon entering the ramp. Re-solder to the bottom of the switch as in my photo. This is assuming that nobody randomly switched wire colors on a repair, and that the connector under the machine is plugged in correctly. Might be good to make connection without soldering (alligator clips are helpful), and use switch test mode in diagnostics. Dig down in menus until you find switch test grid. Manually move a couple switches so you can see how the switch test mode works, then move the ones in question.

When re-soldering, make sure you don't melt the switch.

-Adam

Thanks Adam and @snaroff. After further inspection it is both wires have come off! I haven't noticed anything during game play so I'm not sure what the gate triggers as far as scoring or anything else, but I guess it's time to get the soldering iron out and get it fixed!

20190518_112556 (resized).jpg20190518_112556 (resized).jpg
#4269 4 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I've owned my LOTR for a couple of months now and it has this really annoying issue the previous owner didn't experience. Mainly the left flipper (but on occasion the right one has shown the same symptoms) just dies on me.
I press the flipper button and nothing, no flip, I push it again and no flip and then push it frantically as I'm about to drain and it comes back to life and works fine. This naturally happens at the worst time, time to seek some help.
I'm not seeing anything wrong with the EOS switch on the flipper mech or the flipper switch either. Every register's fine in test... this can happen within minutes of turning the game on so I don't think it is a coil over heating, when it starts flipping again it comes back at full strength, it just dies on me... any thoughts?

Happened to me a few times.

#4270 4 years ago
Quoted from roar:

I went through all the basics. Cleaned contacts, checked eos. Finally had to order a replacement (updated?) flipper switch. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can enlighten is both on the differences from stock. But I haven’t had the problem again since then.

#4271 4 years ago

LOTR is going to be the subject of the next PINCOMBO Pinball Comic Book for Proanoia.com and GameOfDepth.com . We teamed up with pinstadium and installed a sweet set of Pinstadiums at the LOTR machine at the East Lake Taproom and Brewery in MPLS, MN. One of the Bartenders said it was like playing a whole new machine. The lightning flashes hit off the side blade lightening art are gorgeous. and you can see the Blue of Frodo’s Eyes!

IMG_3286 (resized).jpgIMG_3286 (resized).jpg
#4272 4 years ago

Awaiting my minty HUO LOTR, in the meantime i have been wading thorugh all 85+ pages of this thread.... a lot of good info and at the rate i am going i should be about done reading by the time it arrives!

It already has a bunch of nice mods but does not have the palantir mod which looks great, good to see that pinsider has taken up making these again but the wait list is long so being an impatient man i have been messing with making one for me. thought some trial and error i have gotten something that looks pretty good but will have to await my machine for tweaking and figuring out the mounting.

with a globe the image is sensitive to vewing angle as well as light intensity , . the machine has the led ocd board and if i understand i will be able to adjust the light intensity to just that bulb ? not sure if the ocd board will allow effects such as flashing or twinkling or fades does anyone know about this?

enclosed is one of the more promising options for the projection( tapping a light on my hook for illumination ) , really hard to get a good picture with the cell phone it washes out the lightest area. will post pics of my grail pin when it comes and update on this project for now back to reading page 18!

042 (resized).jpg042 (resized).jpg

#4273 4 years ago

Looking for some advice.
Looking at a LOTR to buy from a non pinhead
Only machine they own and made a claim it has only been played 15-20 times ever
If anyone can take a moment,was wondering how exactly I could be completely sure of that during inspection.
Obviously the game will be in nice shape and I will ask if they have a receipt as they also say they bought the game “long time ago for the basement”
What would a good price on this game stock and in that kind of condition
I have to pay a friend to help and we are in the middle of negotiations
I hate asking here just looking for specifics on this particular game since I’ve never owned one but always have wanted to
Thanks

#4274 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Looking for some advice.
If anyone can take a moment,was wondering how exactly I could be completely sure of that during inspection.
Obviously the game will be in nice shape and I will ask if they have a receipt as they also say they bought the game “long time ago for the basement”
I hate asking here just looking for specifics on this particular game since I’ve never owned one but always have wanted to
Thanks

Post pics on here of the shooter lane, cabinet on all sides, details underneath the playfield, boards, playfield, and translite.

The shooter lane, area around the flippers, and the area around the coils underneath the playfield usually tell the tale. There is no way to 100% know for sure...but you xan make an educated guess.

FWIW, i very highly doubt it only has 15-20 plays.

#4275 4 years ago

Looking for some advice.
Thanks

Good price 5k. Probably more like 5.5-6k in today's market. I would assume original rubbers so it's going to need a shop job and don't forget to check the batteries.

#4276 4 years ago

Hi fellow owners! I'm looking for a NOS or good used right ramp (515-7319-00-80) for my game. Please shoot me a PM if you can help me. Much appreciated!

#4277 4 years ago

Looking for some advice.
Thanks

Pinside lists LOTR on the high end at $6,240. If the machine is as nice as one with 20 games on it would be it would be worth pretty much every dollar of that high end if not more.

With only 20 games on it my expectations would be that you should be able to run your finger across the playfield, ramps, flipper rubbers and not get any black coil dust on your finger. I would expect zero ball trails around the orbits or on the Aragon ramp, I would expect the Arwin plastic to not be broken and all the holes, shire, gimile, to perfect and not show wear.

Also check the boards and make sure the batteries haven’t leaked.

#4278 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I went through all the basics. Cleaned contacts, checked eos. Finally had to order a replacement (updated?) flipper switch. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can enlighten is both on the differences from stock. But I haven’t had the problem again since then.

I should probably just do this... was thinking the small disc cap on the flipper switch may be dried out and starting to fail but I don’t even know if that’s a thing

#4279 4 years ago
Quoted from roar:

Pinside lists LOTR on the high end at $6,240. If the machine is as nice as one with 20 games on it would be it would be worth pretty much every dollar of that high end if not more.
With only 20 games on it my expectations would be that you should be able to run your finger across the playfield, ramps, flipper rubbers and not get any black coil dust on your finger. I would expect zero ball trails around the orbits or on the Aragon ramp, I would expect the Arwin plastic to not be broken and all the holes, shire, gimile, to perfect and not show wear.
Also check the boards and make sure the batteries haven’t leaked.

Thank you
I will run my finger across these areas and check for dust
I appreciate the responses
I have bought some games and am pretty good at looking at them but when the claim is virtually no plays or very low I just don’t want to get home and see the hole in the back had a little wear on it
Also,I would like to be fair and honest with the couple,bit want to be fair to myself if all those things check out
Thanks again

#4280 4 years ago

Thank you
I will run my finger across these areas and check for dust
I appreciate the responses
I have bought some games and am pretty good at looking at them but when the claim is virtually no plays or very low I just don’t want to get home and see the hole in the back had a little wear on it
Also,I would like to be fair and honest with the couple,bit want to be fair to myself if all those things check out
Thanks again

Buy on condition not claims regarding quantity of games played since that can always be manipulated. If a 15 year old game looks like it's got 300 plays on it, you'll be able to tell. I can tell you from someone who has owned his LOTR from 2004 and only has about 500 plays on it, they are out there.... and I would expect a mint for it too (not that I would ever sell it).

Pay exactly what it's worth to you and no more. Then you can enjoy it with no regrets.

#4281 4 years ago

Hey there,

Got mine not long ago and have a question, probably missing something.

Regarding the skill shot, how do you chose between one and another? On my machineI see it going very fastr from top light to bottom and I always end up with the right orbit skill shot.
Would be nice to know how to solve this

#4282 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hey there,
Regarding the skill shot, how do you chose between one and another? On my machineI see it going very fastr from top light to bottom and I always end up with the right orbit skill shot.

The three lights that cycle will stop on whichever one is lit when the ball leaves the switch position at the bottom of the shooter lane (next to the plunger). So you have two options... either 1) plunge at the exact time you need to select the skill shot you want, or 2) do what I do and just bump the plunger with the palm of your hand just enough to make the ball leave that switch when your option is lit. This will lock in that light and allow you to take your time plunging.

#4283 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hey there,

Quoted from Pinzap:

The three lights that cycle will stop on whichever one is lit when the ball leaves the switch position at the bottom of the shooter lane (next to the plunger). So you have two options... either 1) plunge at the exact time you need to select the skill shot you want, or 2) do what I do and just bump the plunger with the palm of your hand just enough to make the ball leave that switch when your option is lit. This will lock in that light and allow you to take your time plunging.

Pinzap pretty much nailed it on the skill shot. The other thing to verify is to check which version of ROMs are installed on your LOTR. When I first got my LOTR I had many issues with the skill shots either freezing or running very fast, which were fixed when I installed the V10 ROMs.

#4284 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hey there,

Edit: nevernimd, you guys beat me to it.

#4285 4 years ago

The total plays audit count is reset when the battery is replaced. As mentioned above, condition is key. Maybe the playfield was replaced to make it look like a nice HUO pin. Seems like inside the cabinet would be super clean inside, as well as the lockdown bar, with only a few plays.

Give it some plays, to see if it plays like new, and everything works fine. A nice working LOTR with no cabinet wear, nice PF, and no board hacks is very desirable in any lineup.

#4286 4 years ago

Thanks for the feedbacks!

I have now understoof what's happening but still unsure on what to do to solve it
=> as soon as the ball is kicked from the feeder VUK into the shooter lane, the shooter switch is hit, thus blocking the skill shot on "lane".

Any idea on how I can manage that?

#4287 4 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

as soon as the ball is kicked from the feeder VUK into the shooter lane, the shooter switch is hit, thus blocking the skill shot on "lane".
Any idea on how I can manage that?

Maybe the switch is failing and sending a blip-blip signal, or maybe a wire is loose, causing the same issue. Try the 'active switch test' and see how it looks. (I think that is the switch test where the switch shows lit as long as you hold it.)

Also, it may just need to be adjusted a little, so it does not double blip.

#4288 4 years ago

Went to the switch test as a start actually, not activating until I push it, as expected.
The double signal is an idea, will have a closer look tomorrow

#4289 4 years ago

From a collecting standpoint,Is it that big a deal to have a LOTR with Gandalf on the white horse?
The one i am looking at does not have that figure
Thanks

#4290 4 years ago
C17CAF90-8666-42A5-AA3D-6F14517E9B7C (resized).jpegC17CAF90-8666-42A5-AA3D-6F14517E9B7C (resized).jpeg
#4291 4 years ago

This is the game that had been played “maybe 20 30 times”

#4292 4 years ago

From a collecting standpoint,Is it that big a deal to have a LOTR with Gandalf on the white horse?
The one i am looking at does not have that figure
Thanks

No, I don't think it is a big deal. Nobody says or asks which Gandalf is included when selling LOTR. Also the 500 LOTR LEs that were made a few years after the standard, don't have any figures.

The 'armies of middle earth' figures used in the standard were widely sold, and you can buy an NOS Gandalf and other figures from amazon or ebay.

#4293 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:This is the game that had been played “maybe 20 30 times”

Looks kinda chewed to me

#4294 4 years ago

No way that's 20 or 30 plays. Look at the shire vuk. It's pretty beat up in that area. Got a broken plastic on the left sling. The ring lights in the center look pretty bad or at least dirty. Also missing the metal piece by the sword lock where the ball is trapped by the wire ball guide. Hard to see, but Gandolf appears to be missing too. Metal sword ramp also shows wear from ball travel. I'd even have a tough time calling this one huo.

20190522_195421 (resized).jpg20190522_195421 (resized).jpg
#4295 4 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

No way that's 20 or 30 plays. Look at the shire vuk. It's pretty beat up in that area. Got a broken plastic on the left sling. The ring lights in the center look pretty bad or at least dirty. Also missing the metal piece by the sword lock where the ball is trapped by the wire ball guide. Hard to see, but Gandolf appears to be missing too. Metal sword ramp also shows wear from ball travel. I'd even have a tough time calling this one huo.[quoted image]

Thanks,that’s what I was seeing
This is the first picture I got sent to me
I think I will pass he is firm on 5 grand

#4296 4 years ago

In my experience non pinball people don’t want to hear that stuff

#4297 4 years ago

In addition to the comments already made, Arwen plastic looks cracked, inside walls are scuffed from raising the playfield (likely quite a few times), and Palantir target black from LOTS of hits..."20 to 30 plays" a day on location for a few years maybe is more accurate

#4298 4 years ago

How the hell does the top of the PF rail in the shire have that much wear. That has to have been routed.

Go find yourself one of these

20190522_183922 (resized).jpg20190522_183922 (resized).jpg
#4299 4 years ago

That game is beat to shit. It could be made decent with a lot of TLC. Probably has well over 10k plays on it.

#4300 4 years ago

Zero way that is 20 or fewer plays. On the other hand, 5k is probably what it is worth...in fact...that may still be low for it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/86?hl=pinballjj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.