Topic Stats

• 4,168 posts
  • 432 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Robertstone0407
  • Topic is favorited by 233 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 835 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190419_134544 (resized).jpg
20190419_134552 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20190309_153553 (resized).jpg
thumbnail_IMG_20190309_153537 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190410_160057 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190410_160016 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190410_162943 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
lottr (resized).jpg
DC8215BB-92D7-4280-8A1C-BEE0C7EA3954 (resized).jpeg
lot3 (resized).jpg
lotr2 (resized).jpg
lotr1 (resized).jpg
Lord wiring 5Volt 12 1 (resized).jpg
Lord wiring 5Volt 12 (resized).jpg
4147E3BE-9EDC-4BDC-8FA2-B6195C85FF64 (resized).jpeg

There are 4168 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 84.
#4151 7 days ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

for this game in particular, I prefer a warmer, dimmer look so will likely reduce the overall brightness as well.

Incandescent bulbs provide this exact this type of illumination. It's my personal experience that incandescent bulbs are not only significantly cheaper they also last a lot longer than their LED replacements.

I know LEDs are the trend right now and they look great in games that were designed for them, but I have to ask why everyone seems to think every game should have LEDs...<ponder>

#4152 7 days ago
Quoted from swilson143:

LOTR is a tough one for powder coat choices, since every side of the machine uses a different color pallet. I tried an oil rubbed bronze colored powder and I'm really pleased.

You made a good choice. That looks great!

#4153 7 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have an OCD in mine. I understand there are settings but I’ve never messed with it. In this game, does it make sense for me to learn and adjust the settings?

I guess the answer to this question lies i whether you have a condition similar to the board’s name. In other words, are you OCD about how things look? I was very OCD and spent a little time (but not much) tweaking a few bulbs for brightness so they blended in with the others. If you don’t see any issues then skip it and stick with the stock profile that you initially loaded.

#4154 6 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Incandescent bulbs provide this exact this type of illumination. It's my personal experience that incandescent bulbs are not only significantly cheaper they also last a lot longer than their LED replacements.
I know LEDs are the trend right now and they look great in games that were designed for them, but I have to ask why everyone seems to think every game should have LEDs...&lt;ponder&gt;

They consume less power, they are better for the life of the machine. It's a bonus that they look better (when tastefully done, IMO)

#4155 6 days ago
Quoted from red-line:

It's a bonus that they look better (when tastefully done, IMO)

They SO do - but you're on the money - it's got to be done right or not at all.

#4156 6 days ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have an OCD in mine. I understand there are settings but I’ve never messed with it. In this game, does it make sense for me to learn and adjust the settings?

certainly not mandatory to learn the settings, but i agree with the other comments that LOTR is a delicate flower when it comes to LEDs.

Personally i used Comet's 2SMD warm white frosted bulbs throughout - so they're all the same brightness, colour temp & profile. Also easier/quicker to buy a big bunch 75% wedge to 25% bayonet, roughly speaking, than it is to colour match and build a complex shopping list.

Brightness can be adjusted down to maintain that dimmer glow like incandescents. It's 85% peak by default i think with LED OCD, which is a good start.

There's also the delay which i think i set to 1, instead of the default 2.

In summary, you get out what you put in!

Sometimes i wish i could OCD Metallica Premium. It's way too blinky & bright for my eyes!

#4157 5 days ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I really, really wish I installed the NVRAM I got right before I did this but it has to go away forever. My best score yet by at least 2x.
[quoted image]

Isn't the high score capped at 250 million on the original production runs of this game?

Nice job btw, sorry you had to lose that.

btw, still having quirky issues with that right VUK. It knows the ball is there, but it takes it's good ol time sometimes kicking the ball up, usually ending up in ball search mode, and of course always right in the middle of a game.

Grrrr....

#4158 5 days ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

One bit of advice - if you go into the built-in help menu it takes you through a troubleshooting procedure, one of the later steps is to use a wire and short the tab of the magnet transistor to ground to test if the transistor is good and the magnet energizes. Mine tested bad (because the fuse was blown) but I decided to try shorting some nearby transistors to see what would happen. Well, what happened was that I got a spark and blew two transistors , so DON'T DO THAT! I had to replace the 2 transistors and the blown magnet fuse and now all is back to normal with no further issues after several games.

This exact scenario happened to me just recently.

#4159 5 days ago

Hello Lotr family,
Is it possible to reset the Destroy The Ring Champion time? I have searched with no luck

J.T.

#4160 4 days ago

I have to replace the original backbox speakers and wires (from a Pinsound card, long story) and wanted to make sure I have the wiring correct. Can anyone confirm how the wires run to each of the 2 backbox speakers? Thanks in advance.

#4161 3 days ago

Just joined the club today, are there any must have mods I need to have to enjoy the game? I plan on having it for a long time.

#4162 3 days ago

Color DMD, shire decal, cliffy’s, and palantir one are the must haves in my opinion

#4163 3 days ago

The palantir mod is one of the best in all of pinball. That's the one you need to have.

#4164 2 days ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Just joined the club today, are there any must have mods I need to have to enjoy the game? I plan on having it for a long time.

Color DMD in Scan mode really enhances the game a lot. I think the Shire Decal is much needed as that part of the playfield is so barebones without it. I'm also a fan of the Army of the Dead mod to add some character to that upper playfield. As stated above, the palantir mod is incredible but almost impossible to find. A new person is making them now but there's a back order list of at least a year already, and we don't even know if enough parts exist for him to make them all.

If you're into enhancing the art, there are some really great options for art blades: sillyoldelf's are my favorite, but there are also brass mirror blades which are cool and a few other art blades including ones that light up.

All in all, it's a great game. I'd suggest just giving it a good cleaning and enjoy the game.

EDIT: LEDs are controversial on this game, but IMO if you do them tastefully they really add to the game as well. You need to use an LED OCD though which is not cheap. Don't try to do LEDs without one, there is too much dimming in the game that will cause LEDs without the OCD to just flicker too much.

#4165 2 days ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

EDIT: LEDs are controversial on this game, but IMO if you do them tastefully they really add to the game as well.

The incandescent bulbs do look good in this game; however, LEDs are the way to go if done tastefully. I ordered the Cointaker complete kit. Once I had it installed, I made some modifications to suit my taste. Warm white in the GI is a must for this game! I also added spotlights on the slingshots to light up the middle of the playfield a little better. I'm in a pinball league with 20+ pinheads and they all said this was the nicest LOTR lighting they've ever seen.

thumbnail_IMG_20190309_153537 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_20190309_153553 (resized).jpg

#4166 2 days ago

Anyone have a spare soilders of the dead figure? I bought a game where the previous owner super glued the figures on and got finger prints and you name it all over jt and a white haze. Looks aweful. I bought another set but it only comes with 3. Not looking to spend another 60 for only 1 figure. Anyone able to help me out

#4167 1 day ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Anyone have a spare soilders of the dead figure? I bought a game where the previous owner super glued the figures on and got finger prints and you name it all over jt and a white haze. Looks aweful. I bought another set but it only comes with 3. Not looking to spend another 60 for only 1 figure. Anyone able to help me out

I can't help you with a figure, but are the finger prints something you can buff out with some novus or something?

#4168 1 day ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I can't help you with a figure, but are the finger prints something you can buff out with some novus or something?

They like used a heat gun or something and melted them too. No idea what they were thinking

20190419_134544 (resized).jpg20190419_134552 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Kansas City, MO
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
$ 11.95
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 68.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Boards
PinSound
6,150 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Sale Pending!
Pasadena, MD
$ 1,000.00
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 4168 posts in this topic. You are on page 84 of 84.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside