IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 204.
#3801 5 years ago

The post having the large washer should be where I circled it in red:
1c61bf094c8475243a74335dceae38c0077ed2da (resized).jpg1c61bf094c8475243a74335dceae38c0077ed2da (resized).jpg

There also should be a washer under the post to contain the wireform (in other words: post then washer then wireform).

#3802 5 years ago
IMG_1483 (resized).JPGIMG_1483 (resized).JPG
#3803 5 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Take out the balls, set them on a table and roll one against another and see if they stick. It can absolutely happen in a few games as long as the ring is doing its job.
I have toiled with that sword lock and though all the things already mentioned should be checked and re-checked, the actual lock mech should also be rebuilt AND repositioned. You can bend it freely and shift it on loosened screws. You can def add or remove milliseconds of delay in ball release that way.
Also make sure the switch rollers are super smooth for no rollover delay.

Thanks very much for the suggestion regarding the repositioning of the lock mechanism. TBH my wife mentioned this when she looked at the game herself . So, anyways, took it apart repositioned it and now the ball is going straight down the sword, no problems. Also took the balls out and they do have a very slight tendency to stick. I'm buying those other ones. Thanks again!

#3804 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Take a look at post #3376. The post with the washer is supposed to be holding the wireform down. I believe yours is on the wrong screw/threads.

Ahhhhh. Makes sense now, I guess the previous owner put the tall post on the wrong spot when he replaced the palantir? Thanks, everybody!!

#3805 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

[quoted image]

My post is on the threaded rod behind the Palatir. You can see the threads on the post in the picture.

#3806 5 years ago

So I should be joining the club this weekend if everything goes well. Very excited to say the least since it seems like a great game. Only paid it a handful of times but it was fun the times I did play it

#3807 5 years ago

I have a chance to buy a BEAUTIFUL HUO LOTR....I mean it is pristine. The seller seems amazing, just trying to decide. His machine is completely stock; does anyone know if there are any POtD mods or Jays palantir mods kicking around for sale?

#3808 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

I have a chance to buy a BEAUTIFUL HUO LOTR....I mean it is pristine. The seller seems amazing, just trying to decide. His machine is completely stock; does anyone know if there are any POtD mods or Jays palantir mods kicking around for sale?

A good deal on an immaculate HUO LOTR > Mods

Find the mods or don't later, you've still got a great example of one of the best games out there.

#3809 5 years ago

Awesome! Happy to help.

Quoted from the4Orr:

Thanks very much for the suggestion regarding the repositioning of the lock mechanism. TBH my wife mentioned this when she looked at the game herself . So, anyways, took it apart repositioned it and now the ball is going straight down the sword, no problems. Also took the balls out and they do have a very slight tendency to stick. I'm buying those other ones. Thanks again!

#3810 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

A good deal on an immaculate HUO LOTR > Mods
Find the mods or don't later, you've still got a great example of one of the best games out there.

Same game we talked about?

#3811 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Same game we talked about?

I have three I am looking at currently.....
What worries me is that I may buy, then Stern announces a Vault. That is why I sold mine 4 years ago. I mean, they HAVE TO make a vault right?

#3812 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

What worries me is that I may buy, then Stern announces a Vault. That is why I sold mine 4 years ago. I mean, they HAVE TO make a vault right?

LotR comes with it heavy licensing and one must imagine that JJP potentially has a lock on the LotR/Hobbit/Tolkien license at the moment. It's possible that the Hobbit and LotR are licensed separately, but nobody really knows. Also, you can find some pretty nice LotR's for sub 6k and I'm rather confident than a vault edition will cost more than that.

#3813 5 years ago

I have the same concern with a vault but one popped up local and at a decent price so I just took the plunge. If a vault comes, oh well.

#3814 5 years ago

Can't live your life saying "what if"....

#3815 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

You have to ask yourself, how would a vault even change your game IF they did make it? If it's an immaculate HUO example, then a vault would not be of greater quality. And no way they'd add figures to a vault, so if yours has those, you're ahead with an original. Only thing I can think of would be a possible upgrade to the audio quality, but would stern really spend the time to re-master all the original clips? Or could they even do this with licensing issues? Maybe it'd end up being like a SMVE with new audio callouts that everyone complains about. The jackpot callout alone is worth it's weight in gold (wait, do callouts really weigh anything? oh well, you get my point). I personally don't think they'll do a vault because finding an original is not very tough... you said it yourself that you're considering three separate ones. Sells would be lackluster at best for a vault. Now, a tron VE is more likely I think (if they can get disney licensing to agree) because of the difficulty in finding these. I'm not worried about that either, because my LE will still be way better than any vault they can release (unless they put Daft punk multiball in the vault, and then I'm gonna go ballistic).

TL;DR - Get the original LOTR now... you won't regret it.

#3816 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

They did, and it was sold as an LE in 2009.....

Quoted from Pinzap:

You have to ask yourself, how would a vault even change your game IF they did make it? If it's an immaculate HUO example, then a vault would not be of greater quality. And no way they'd add figures to a vault, so if yours has those, you're ahead with an original. Only thing I can think of would be a possible upgrade to the audio quality, but would stern really spend the time to re-master all the original clips? Or could they even do this with licensing issues? Maybe it'd end up being like a SMVE with new audio callouts that everyone complains about. The jackpot callout alone is worth it's weight in gold (wait, do callouts really weigh anything? oh well, you get my point). I personally don't think they'll do a vault because finding an original is not very tough... you said it yourself that you're considering three separate ones. Sells would be lackluster at best for a vault. Now, a tron VE is more likely I think (if they can get disney licensing to agree) because of the difficulty in finding these. I'm not worried about that either, because my LE will still be way better than any vault they can release (unless they put Daft punk multiball in the vault, and then I'm gonna go ballistic).
TL;DR - Get the original LOTR now... you won't regret it.

Pinzap nailed it......

#3817 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Pinzap hit it right on the head. You can't make a perfect game better.

If they remade this one, and as said by Pinzap they are very unlikely to reuse or remaster the original audio as it was pretty low quality. They would have a very very difficult time recreating or reimagining the epic callouts. Audio is a huuuuuuuge part of what makes this game such a classic.

I recently purchased a Spidey original because although the art package might be better on the SMVE, the audio is well worth sticking to the original.

I also let go of a Medieval Madness remake to hold on to an original, so at least as far as I'm concerned, originals will always be better.

They will also hold a place in pinball history.

#3818 5 years ago

I would pick an original LOTR playfield in good condition over Stern's current crop every time.

#3819 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I would pick an original LOTR playfield in good condition over Stern's current crop every time.

I dunno. I love my LotR but even with a perfect quality playfield the art is pretty atrocious. I'd take a high res version with correct colors any day.

EDIT: And I supposedly have one of the "good" playfields with Frodo's eyes correctly colored.

#3820 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I dunno. I love my LotR but even with a perfect quality playfield the art is pretty atrocious. I'd take a high res version with correct colors any day.
EDIT: And I supposedly have one of the "good" playfields with Frodo's eyes correctly colored.

I wasn't considering art rather durability. I own a lot of Stern's and the quality has dropped considerably in my opinion.

#3821 5 years ago
Quoted from BOBCADE:

I wasn't considering art rather durability. I own a lot of Stern's and the quality has dropped considerably in my opinion.

Word. I was thinking purely the playfield and not playfield parts or anything.

#3822 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

What batches were correctly coloured? What’s the difference?

#3823 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

What batches were correctly coloured? What’s the difference?

I'm no expert on the subject, I've just heard that there are certain early playfields where the color pallette is off -- apparently it makes Frodo's eyes look red. Someone else will have to chime in to give details.

#3824 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I'm no expert on the subject, I've just heard that there are certain early playfields where the color pallette is off -- apparently it makes Frodo's eyes look red. Someone else will have to chime in to give details.

Thanks.
Something to keep my eyes out for.
You know, I have to admit, I really don’t mind the art on LOTR. I always felt it looked middle earthy.
As for the potential Vault, it would be pretty sweet if they made the POTD more interactive....that’s the kind of updates/upgrades I’m worried about.

#3825 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I've owned two LOTRs. I don't know it was so much colour as it was resolution. The current one I have is noticeably clearer than the previous one where the art was fuzzy. It doesn't really matter to me, but there definitely were changes in the production in later games. I see that with my TSPP as well. It's also why I now never buy a game at launch. I like to wait 1-2 years for them to work out all the bugs. Perfect example would be BM66.

And on the topic of LOTR, I decided to have a quick game of pinball this afternoon while working at home (terrible idea, since "quick" and "LOTR" don't often go together).

Pissed away ball 1 and 2, and on the third ball, I finished FOTR, and TT multiball. I also got to level 6 on ROTK. Finished DTR and looked at the clock and decided to walk away and finish the game at some point tonight. I have 2 extra balls waiting for me, so maybe this is the Valinor game

Playing this afternoon, I also reminded myself why this game will always be bolted to my floor, and why in my opinion, this is the perfect game of pinball.

#3826 5 years ago

Installed the shaker motor today. I have to say I think this is the best shaker motor I've had. JP and IMDN it's too much but this one is just right to accent the action in the game.

#3827 5 years ago

LOTR is just a great game. My interest in pinball has been waning. I've played maybe ~80 total games over the last 8 months (when I used to do that in a week or even a night!). I almost sold my LOTR a few months ago. I am so glad I didn't. I've starting play more again this week and LOTR is the perfect package. I twice gotten to destroy the ring and missed the last shot on ball 3. I love it!

#3828 5 years ago

The issue on some(many) LOTR playfields was color registration. In order to create colors correctly, the Y,M,C,K have to lay EXACTLY on top of each other. When they don't, you get a magenta halo effect around the images. That is why my Frodo looks stoned out of his gourd. It also doesn't bother me because so many of them are like that and it still looks and plays great!

#3829 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The issue on some(many) LOTR playfields was color registration. In order to create colors correctly, the Y,M,C,K have to lay EXACTLY on top of each other. When they don't, you get a magenta halo effect around the images. That is why my Frodo looks stoned out of his gourd. It also doesn't bother me because so many of them are like that and it still looks and plays great!

Do you happen to have a pic for comparison?
You know....those hobbits had a propensity for weed....maybe yours is accurate!

#3830 5 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Installed the shaker motor today. I have to say I think this is the best shaker motor I've had. JP and IMDN it's too much but this one is just right to accent the action in the game.

Yeah I put a shaker in mine not long ago and it's such great integration. On my Star Wars, the shaker is way over-the-top and rattles loudly. On LotR I can't hear it unless I'm paying attention, only feel it -- which is perfect.

#3831 5 years ago

x2 on that, I just installed one last week and works very well with the game.

Quoted from Chalkey:

#3832 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I've owned two LOTRs. I don't know it was so much colour as it was resolution. The current one I have is noticeably clearer than the previous one where the art was fuzzy. It doesn't really matter to me, but there definitely were changes in the production in later games. I see that with my TSPP as well. It's also why I now never buy a game at launch. I like to wait 1-2 years for them to work out all the bugs. Perfect example would be BM66.
And on the topic of LOTR, I decided to have a quick game of pinball this afternoon while working at home (terrible idea, since "quick" and "LOTR" don't often go together).
Pissed away ball 1 and 2, and on the third ball, I finished FOTR, and TT multiball. I also got to level 6 on ROTK. Finished DTR and looked at the clock and decided to walk away and finish the game at some point tonight. I have 2 extra balls waiting for me, so maybe this is the Valinor game
Playing this afternoon, I also reminded myself why this game will always be bolted to my floor, and why in my opinion, this is the perfect game of pinball.

How do you walk away and restart the game where you left off?

#3833 5 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

How do you walk away and restart the game where you left off?

Between balls, either a drain or a lock. As long as you don't have auto plunge on, it will sit there until you play.

#3834 5 years ago

You don't restart. You just leave it there in that state for so many hours and come back to it.

#3835 5 years ago

You can pop the door open when the ball is resting somewhere like the Gimli hole, Orthanic or the Shire as well. Just don't close it until you're ready to go again

#3836 5 years ago

Ok. I get it. Not a bad idea. I got very close to valinor yesterday. Took me almost an hour... would have been nice to take a break. I got to "there and back again" for the first time, had FOTR and TT completed, but still needed 2 gifts and ROTK. 121M was my new high score. Still refining my strategy... what modes do you guys typically stack with which multiballs, and which modes do you try to tackle by themselves. I've found attack from shallob, Gandalf vs Saruman, and Warg Battle to be achievable in their own, but I find it hard to focus on modes when in multiballs (except for maybe ent battle).

#3837 5 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Ok. I get it. Not a bad idea. I got very close to valinor yesterday. Took me almost an hour... would have been nice to take a break. I got to "there and back again" for the first time, had FOTR and TT completed, but still needed 2 gifts and ROTK. 121M was my new high score. Still refining my strategy... what modes do you guys typically stack with which multiballs, and which modes do you try to tackle by themselves. I've found attack from shallob, Gandalf vs Saruman, and Warg Battle to be achievable in their own, but I find it hard to focus on modes during the frenzy of the multiball modes (except for maybe ent battle).

#3838 5 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Ok. I get it. Not a bad idea. I got very close to valinor yesterday. Took me almost an hour... would have been nice to take a break. I got to "there and back again" for the first time, had FOTR and TT completed, but still needed 2 gifts and ROTK. 121M was my new high score. Still refining my strategy... what modes do you guys typically stack with which multiballs, and which modes do you try to tackle by themselves. I've found attack from shallob, Gandalf vs Saruman, and Warg Battle to be achievable in their own, but I find it hard to focus on modes when in multiballs (except for maybe ent battle).

ROTK is the biggest obstacle. I've had many games where everything is checked off except that. When you have a good game going, and you finish ROTK, you know that could potentially be your Valinor game.

I had level 6 on ball 3 with 2 extra balls left, and when I got back to my game, I just wasn't in the zone and I pissed it all away.

I've been one final shot away from Valinor, and only failed because the flipper coils were all fizzed out.

I rarely play LOTR as it's such a time commitment, but I feel confident I'll get to the end of of these days.

Such a fantastic game!

#3839 5 years ago

Hey guys.
Anyone know who sells the POtD mod? I bought from Hemi years ago but I’m sure he is out. Are there any instructions how to make one? I have a ton of extra figures I purchased in the event of a remake/vault that are sitting waiting to be used....

#3840 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Hey guys.
Anyone know who sells the POtD mod? I bought from Hemi years ago but I’m sure he is out. Are there any instructions how to make one? I have a ton of extra figures I purchased in the event of a remake/vault that are sitting waiting to be used....

Why wait to play a great game? Why don't you pick up the original HUO that you've been looking at and if a remake ever happens (unlikely) you can always sell to an enthusiast like me that would take an original over a vault any day.

#3841 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

In both of my lotr pins I’ve owned, the status report seems wildly inaccurate or at best unhelpful. Is this a known bug? Has anyone modified the ROMs (I’m looking at you chadh ) to get the report to be more helpful?

Bumping my own question.

#3842 5 years ago

jsm172 -- You'll love it! I'm playing some of my last games on her, and she's she's still solid as a rock. Is it too late to raise my price?

#3843 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Hey guys.

I made mine very easily. I just took off the POTD mini PF and used a pattern trim router bit with a bearing in my router table to cut the plastic down to the exact size of the POTD. A few holes drilled for screw access, some stand offs and I was good to go.

#3844 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Do you happen to have a pic for comparison?
You know....those hobbits had a propensity for weed....maybe yours is accurate!

Some have also reported a green tint to the faces on their their playfield, like this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/55#post-4361525

#3845 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I made mine very easily. I just took off the POTD mini PF and used a pattern trim router bit with a bearing in my router table to cut the plastic down to the exact size of the POTD. A few holes drilled for screw access, some stand offs and I was good to go.

Not discounting this at all, but you can get the plastic from Pinbits for like $20. I found the figurines brand new in the box on mercari.com for $20 as well. Also found a Gandalf on Shadowfax there.

#3846 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Not discounting this at all, but you can get the plastic from Pinbits for like $20. I found the figurines brand new in the box on mercari.com for $20 as well. Also found a Gandalf on Shadowfax there.

I hear ya, definitely would be easier. I could pay to get my oil changed too, but I'm a DIY guy for good or for bad. I happened to have everything I needed to do it and enjoy working in my shop.

#3847 5 years ago

Ok, installed the shaker in my non LE LOTR following the directions here:

http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/install-a-shaker-on-a-lord-of-the-rings-lotr-pinball-machine/

Fairly straight forward, new PAL, new 10.02 rom, piggy back the red/white wire, and hook up #5 on the J9. All that but no shaking still. what solenoid is the shaker? #24 "optional"?

#3848 5 years ago

Do you have the transistor at Q12? Mine didn't and I had to add it. See post #27 of: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/install-a-shaker-on-a-lord-of-the-rings-lotr-pinball-machine/
Fairly straight forward, new PAL, new 10.02 rom, piggy back the red/white wire, and hook up #5 on the J9. All that but no shaking still. what solenoid is the shaker? #24 "optional"?

#3849 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Do you have the transistor at Q12? Mine didn't and I had to add it. See post #27 of: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-install-shaker-motor-in-lotr-standard-edition

Yep, sure does.

#3850 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I also put a shaker in a non LE LOTR. Mine would not work until I reset pin to factory settings. After it is working you can change the settings.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
$ 12.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/77?hl=chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.