IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240315-080458 (resized).png
IMG_8433.jpeg
IMG_2627 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,135 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 203.
#3701 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Perhaps, but these have that label as well: https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html
Aren't these the 'high power' coils people refer to? I've got these and they're a bit overpowered in my game.

Those say LOTR. His don't. That's the difference.

#3702 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Not sure if you have seen these, but invaluable if you have mirror blades;
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

Interesting, if they p/o had put felt it would have been fine, but will definitely look into those when the time comes.

Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

You might want to watch the recent Buffalo Pinball LOTR review before deciding to do that - You'll never be able to not see something!

Guessing you are referring to gandalf's member, and I know, but don't mind it.

#3703 5 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Perhaps, but these have that label as well: https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html
Aren't these the 'high power' coils people refer to? I've got these and they're a bit overpowered in my game.

Yeah, I have to imagine these are the high powered coils. They feel VERY strong. The post transfers is impossible because of the strength, the ball typically just goes flying

#3704 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Guessing you are referring to gandalf's member, and I know, but don't mind it.

Yes, and I could live with it too given the cool hardware, real backglass, and shaker motor that comes with it!

#3705 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Those say LOTR. His don't. That's the difference.

Here's a pic. I forgot, they also say "SOLID STATE". When I do a image search and find a pic that says that, it links to the high powered coil, I believe. Can anyone confirm these are high and not medium?

IMG_20190205_194826 (resized).jpgIMG_20190205_194826 (resized).jpg
#3706 5 years ago

Yes, and I could live with it too given the cool hardware, real backglass, and shaker motor that comes with it!

The necessary roms + shaker motor are an easy sub $150 upgrade to the original machine.

#3707 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Here's a pic. I forgot, they also say "SOLID STATE". When I do a image search and find a pic that says that, it links to the high powered coil, I believe. Can anyone confirm these are high and not medium?[quoted image]

Edit, I believe it is standard coil. After zooming in, It appears that the bobbin has quite a bit of space left on it for wire.

#3708 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Here's a pic. I forgot, they also say "SOLID STATE". When I do a image search and find a pic that says that, it links to the high powered coil, I believe. Can anyone confirm these are high and not medium?[quoted image]

Like I said, those are the stock flipper coils:

https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-090-5020-2ot-flipper-coil.html

These are the high powered ones:

https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html

The medium ones have a white wrapper with some nice elvish stylized font on them.

#3709 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Like I said, those are the stock flipper coils:
https://www.pinballlife.com/sternsegadata-east-090-5020-2ot-flipper-coil.html
These are the high powered ones:
https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html
The medium ones have a white wrapper with some nice elvish stylized font on them.

Oh wow. My flipper buttons are sticking, I wonder if that's why my post transfers aren't working.

The flippers still feel really strong, though. now I'm wondering how strong the medium ones are comparitively.

#3710 5 years ago

You do NOT want the high powered ones from PinballLife, they are WAY to powerful for LOTR. The medium strength ones advertised here on Pinside are the best all around for LOTR.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

#3711 5 years ago

Hey guys!

Looking to get my 2nd pin and have my heart set on LOTR. Is there any major differences between the 03 and 04/5/6 runs? Should I be holding out for a particular year? Figured this is the best place to ask thanks all!

#3712 5 years ago

I don't know about a production year, but there are 3 different playfield tint if I'm correct.
that's a first selection criteria.
and I can tell you that this will be a long journey , LOTR is a keeper for me.

#3713 5 years ago
Quoted from Chids:

Hey guys!
Looking to get my 2nd pin and have my heart set on LOTR. Is there any major differences between the 03 and 04/5/6 runs? Should I be holding out for a particular year? Figured this is the best place to ask thanks all!

I've owned two. The earlier one had a thinner clear coat and lower resolution print on the pf. My late production game has crisper graphics on the pf, and the clear looks closer to what Stern does today, which could be a good or bad thing depending.

In all honesty though, I liked how the early production one played more!

Not sure that answer was helpful at all

#3714 5 years ago
Quoted from red-line:

Is there an easy way to see if a balrog led kit has been installed? I tried to check last night, and got as far as taking the 2 screws out of the side of the balrog. I couldn't get the toy off from there so I gave up. I was scared I was gonna break it on my first night w the table lol.

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/sb148.pdf

Link to balrog light instructions

#3715 5 years ago

metal trim recently powder coated, just awaiting time to fit:
1CDDA130-99FD-457E-A18B-43A41EC74B47 (resized).jpeg1CDDA130-99FD-457E-A18B-43A41EC74B47 (resized).jpeg

A1B95A86-3D58-4B6C-8613-D96942901AFE (resized).jpegA1B95A86-3D58-4B6C-8613-D96942901AFE (resized).jpeg
#3716 5 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

I like that - enough gold but not too much!

#3717 5 years ago

I like that - enough gold but not too much!

cheers - very happy with it. It's Antique Gold. Appears aged & corroded, which seems to fit the theme quite well.

Can’t decide which colour bolt to use though: silver/standard, black or brass.

1st world problems.

8CE487AE-FC60-4549-AF85-8D4B451C0B8D (resized).jpeg8CE487AE-FC60-4549-AF85-8D4B451C0B8D (resized).jpeg
#3718 5 years ago

cheers - very happy with it. It's Antique Gold. Appears aged & corroded, which seems to fit the theme quite well.
1st world problems. [quoted image]

Use the black bolts.

#3719 5 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Use the black bolts.

Agreed. Looks awesome. I want that for mine!

#3720 5 years ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Very close to mine. I used Grecian gold vein and really like it

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/EVS-1512/grecian-gold-vein

grecian-gold-vein-evs-1512-dt20180702175144635-thumbnail (resized).jpggrecian-gold-vein-evs-1512-dt20180702175144635-thumbnail (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg
#3722 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Very close to mine. I used Grecian gold vein and really like it
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/EVS-1512/grecian-gold-vein[quoted image][quoted image]

Now that's sexy!

#3723 5 years ago

Today was the day, boys.

Almost 5 years after buying LOTR... Valinor!

20190207_171606 (resized).jpg20190207_171606 (resized).jpg20190207_172940 (resized).jpg20190207_172940 (resized).jpg
#3724 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Today was the day, boys.
[quoted image][quoted image]

And here I was feeling good about breaking 100M...

#3725 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Today was the day, boys.

!!!

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3726 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Today was the day, boys.

Congrats. I also finally got to Valinor on Jan. 24.
I have not been playing for score in the last few years, only for Valinor. One thing that hurts me is I am not good about giving in and holding the ball on the flipper to time out modes I don't need to finish like TABA which often causes me to lose a ball.

#3727 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I have not been playing for score in the last few years, only for Valinor. One thing that hurts me is I am not good about giving in and holding the ball on the flipper to time out modes I don't need to finish like TABA which often causes me to lose a ball.

Congrats.

Definitely smart to time out some modes.

That said, I went for it today, completed TABA for around 60M points. I actually collected all 7 gifts of the elves a second time. The DTR to start Valinor was the third DTR of the game.

#3728 5 years ago

Agree black looks sharp.

Quoted from fossmin:

Use the black bolts.

#3729 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Congrats.
Definitely smart to time out some modes.
That said, I went for it today, completed TABA for around 60M points. I actually collected all 7 gifts of the elves a second time. The DTR to start Valinor was the third DTR of the game.

I get enough rejects or rollbacks from the center ramp that could go straight down the middle that I usually don’t aggressively try to complete TABA. My game is on tile floor with plastic coasters under the feet so it is very hard to move/slide the front end sideways to avoid such drains if they are coming. It is a bit of a handicap similar to a tight tilt bob.

#3730 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

My game is on tile floor with plastic coasters under the feet so it is very hard to move/slide the front end sideways to avoid such drains if they are coming.

Loosen the front leg bolts a bit, so the cabinet has bit of sway, maybe about 1/8 inch or a little more. Leg bolts should not be too tight.

If you nudge too much, the tilt bob will let you know anyways.

#3731 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Today was the day, boys.

Nice!

#3732 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Loosen the front leg bolts a bit, so the cabinet has bit of sway, maybe about 1/8 inch or a little more. Leg bolts should not be too tight.
If you nudge too much, the tilt bob will let you know anyways.

I can nudge no problem, I just don't slide the legs across the floor like some do to avoid the STDM that can't be stopped any other way.
Everything I have ever read or have been told is you want the leg bolts very tight. Wobble in the legs from looseness of the bolts is probably not good for the cabinet.

#3733 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Congradulations DCFAN!! You’ve owned Lotr a long time, but you did it!
For anyone who wants tech help on Lotr, DC is the guy.

#3734 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I can nudge no problem, I just don't slide the legs across the floor like some do to avoid the STDM that can't be stopped any other way.
Everything I have ever read or have been told is you want the leg bolts very tight. Wobble in the legs from looseness of the bolts is probably not good for the cabinet.

OK, I see what you mean. I have rubber cups under my leg levelers to minimize sliding as well. ("Any player who moves a game to the point it slides off of a rubber foot beneath the game’s leg will be given a score of zero for the game." - IFPA rules)

As far a leg bolt tightness - I go by this old thread where the general consensus is go with snug, and not too tight.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-tight-are-leg-bolts

#3735 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

A couple months ago, I was one very final shot away from starting Valinor. My game is still running the factory coils, so it didn't have to power to get me into the ring. I actually shot it 7-8 times clean, but it just flopped over the ramp. Pretty much my most disappointing pinball moment haha.

Ended game at 430M, and really haven't had the urge to turn it on since!

I think I'll install the medium powered coils when I have a moment, and then get back to my quest for Valinor!

#3736 5 years ago

i'm at the same stage. waiting coils to ride again !

#3737 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Probably would be good idea to see if the 50 V DC is there next:

I never new DR existed. That is very cool. The problem is I got to the step where you connect ground to Q6 (magnet coil) and it fired. Then I tried it again and nothing. Now none of the coils fire. I checked all the bus fuses on the IO board and they are all good. Is there another general IO fuse or did I fry the board?

#3738 5 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I never new DR existed. That is very cool. The problem is I got to the step where you connect ground to Q6 (magnet coil) and it fired. Then I tried it again and nothing. Now none of the coils fire. I checked all the bus fuses on the IO board and they are all good. Is there another general IO fuse or did I fry the board?

Check fuse F6 and also the main fuse in the service outlet box at the front of the game. Turn the power off before doing this.

#3739 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Check fuse F6 and also the main fuse in the service outlet box at the front of the game. Turn the power off before doing this.

F6 and main fuse are good. Game does power up and flippers/balrog work but no other coils. I'm thinking that I need professional help. Replacing IO board is beyond my skill set.

#3740 5 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

F6 and main fuse are good. Game does power up and flippers/balrog work but no other coils. I'm thinking that I need professional help. Replacing IO board is beyond my skill set.

Perhaps, local to you, Borygard could fix your game.

#3741 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Perhaps, local to you, borygard could fix your game.

Thanks, I really appreciate all of your help! I learned a lot from this exercise

#3742 5 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

Check F21 with a meter to make sure its good.

If you have a good F21, verify that the 50V LED L201 is lit ... if it's not, AND you are positive F6 is good, you have a blown bridge rectifier (BRDG1)

Quoted from netman63129:

Replacing IO board is beyond my skill set.

If you are not comfortable working on this board, there are several highly skilled board repair technicians on Pinside (myself included) that can repair this for you.

#3743 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

i'm at the same stage. waiting coils to ride again !

Can you explain what you're talking about with different coils? Are you guys installing some type of more powerful flipper coils? Thank you

Glen

#3744 5 years ago

Well,
I’m pissed. I had a LOTR that I loved ( got to valinor once and dtr multiple times per game). Sold it. Regretted it. Bought another, supposedly in perfect condition. Two months later, still having terrible flipper strength problems. I changed switches. Added medium coils (still seem to get hot/weaker), but I think it’s better. Got to dtr. Hit all the shots. Locked the first ball. Hit a perfect, clean ring shot, both balls went through the ring and down to the right flipper but no dtr!!! I’m completely lost. Any thoughts on that one?

#3745 5 years ago

Possibly the eye spinner is not perpendicular/or vertical to the play field. It might be horizontal and the switch is not activated by the ball.

I know that was my problem.

#3746 5 years ago
Quoted from ninjabones:

Can you explain what you're talking about with different coils? Are you guys installing some type of more powerful flipper coils? Thank you
Glen

Yeah, they are slightly more powerful coil that doesn't get as hot and fade out like the stock ones during long games.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

There are some stronger ones that are sold by the major pinball places, but they are too powerful in most peoples opinion. The ones I linked to above seem perfect!

#3747 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Well,
I’m pissed. I had a LOTR that I loved ( got to valinor once and dtr multiple times per game). Sold it. Regretted it. Bought another, supposedly in perfect condition. Two months later, still having terrible flipper strength problems. I changed switches. Added medium coils (still seem to get hot/weaker), but I think it’s better. Got to dtr. Hit all the shots. Locked the first ball. Hit a perfect, clean ring shot, both balls went through the ring and down to the right flipper but no dtr!!! I’m completely lost. Any thoughts on that one?

The switch behind the ring is not sensitive enough.

#3748 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Yeah, they are slightly more powerful coil that doesn't get as hot and fade out like the stock ones during long games.
There are some stronger ones that are sold by the major pinball places, but they are too powerful in most peoples opinion. The ones I linked to above seem perfect!

Thank you. Ordered. Much appreciated. I'm having the same DTR issue as well. I'll recheck/adjust the spinner and ring switches and report back (the ring magnet works fine throughout the game, but DTR sometimes requires multiple ring shots to complete - very frustrating. )

#3749 5 years ago

1st world problems. [quoted image]

Still can’t decide between brass and black.

Now with matching feet..?

BA9F120A-B9E6-4855-B205-9D732E5D6DAD (resized).jpegBA9F120A-B9E6-4855-B205-9D732E5D6DAD (resized).jpegC07DC4C2-E958-432C-86B4-D5FD7272839D (resized).jpegC07DC4C2-E958-432C-86B4-D5FD7272839D (resized).jpeg
#3750 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Well,

Quoted from DCFAN:

The switch behind the ring is not sensitive enough.

There is switch located behind the Ring, in the trough. It’s only purpose is for DTR. If someone cannot finish DTR, it is ALLWAYS this switch. Check it in “switch test” mode- running a ball through the trough. This switch can be a pain in the ass, but it is definitely this switch.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 79.95
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 12.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
There are 10,135 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/75?hl=yokimato and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.