lord1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 203.
#3451 5 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Dude try it, it's freakin awesome. It's way better than just shooting the ball through the ring. When that first ball is just hanging there in mid air waiting for you to bash it through........ well, it's the ultimate pinball effect and adrenaline rush. I've been playing for 40 years and I think the 2 ball DTR is one of the best shot's ever.
Try it and come back here and let us know what ya think.
QSS

FWIW, Keith agrees.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

Keith, do you play with 1-ball or 2-ball settings for DTR?

Quoted from pinball_keefer:

2-ball, the only way to play, hence it is under the director's cut install as well. 1-ball was added much later due to unreliability in the field.

#3452 5 years ago

Hi all, FYI, I am very close to releasing my PinSound+ mix for LOTR. Some final tweaks, working with the PinSound guys & getting their feedback. Not a great video but here is a sneak peek...

#3453 5 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Hi all, FYI, I am very close to releasing my PinSound+ mix for LOTR. Some final tweaks, working with the PinSound guys & getting their feedback. Not a great video but here is a sneak peek...

Very nice, I’ll definitely give it a try

#3454 5 years ago

Does anybody have an unopened "LOTR goodies bag" to show or to list the parts that were included originally by Stern in it?

#3455 5 years ago

I just missed out on a LOTR this morning ..... too slow on the draw. What do you suppose is behind all of the recent for sale signs out on this title? This one always seemed to be bolted to every owners floor.

#3456 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

I just missed out on a LOTR this morning ..... too slow on the draw. What do you suppose is behind all of the recent for sale signs out on this title? This one always seemed to be bolted to every owners floor.

New companies, remakes, boredom....

#3457 5 years ago

BUMP!
Does anybody have an unopened "LOTR goodies bag" to show or to list the parts that were included originally by Stern in it?

#3458 5 years ago

Looking for the short scoop plastic on the left side of the Playfield if anyone has one they would sell . It's number 20 in the set.

Thanks.

IMG_4094 (resized).JPGIMG_4094 (resized).JPGfullsizeoutput_4e12 (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_4e12 (resized).jpeg
#3459 5 years ago

Im having a issue, the mode sometimes start random when i press the both flippers at the same time.Any ideia where to look?

#3460 5 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Im having a issue, the mode sometimes start random when i press the both flippers at the same time.Any ideia where to look?

Seen this before and it was a loose ring-plastic that trigged the opto in the ring/backplate.
If it is electrical it gets a little more difficult...

#3461 5 years ago

I also need plastic #20 if these are available.

#3462 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I also need plastic #20 if these are available.

It really should not be that hard for somebody to reproduce this plastic. It only has a little green hatching on it. It is probably the second most common plastic to break in LOTR besides the Arwen plastic.

I do recommend putting a protector in front of it.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/need-advice-on-protecting-lotr

#3463 5 years ago

My LotR is arriving today, shipped from UT to NJ. Can't wait to fire her up

#3464 5 years ago

Just spent about 10 minutes in TT MB. I couldn't believe how long it was going on for. Usually it's like 20 seconds, but somehow I was hitting all the shots.

Then when I got back to single ball, it was drain, drain, drain... Haha! F'ng pinball!

#3465 5 years ago

Do all of the “ action figures” come off of the plastics easily , without making a mark, or are the stuck on at the factory?

#3466 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Do all of the “ action figures” come off of the plastics easily , without making a mark, or are the stuck on at the factory?

Most of them are stuck on with zip ties. It wouldn't be too difficult to remove and reinstall them like stock.

#3467 5 years ago

Let me guess. Broken #20 plastic = PBL special flipper coils?

#3468 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Don’t think so. That plastic breaks from the ball falling off the path of the dead and bouncing into the vertical plastic which causes cracking around the rivets.

#3469 5 years ago

I put these posts in to stop the plastic from moving.

20181216_113517_resized (resized).jpg20181216_113517_resized (resized).jpg
#3470 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Let me re-phrase. That's how mine got broken.

#3471 5 years ago

I received my LotR this past weekend. Man, what an incredible machine.

Anyway, it's a mostly stock machine built in 2004 and is in solid shape. It has some plastic protectors around the field (arwen, shire, few others) and some extra figures, but otherwise all of the electronics, playfield and lights are stock. It definitely will benefit from a tear down and rubber replacement. While I am doing that I am thinking about one of these playfield protectors (link below). It's 0.05mm thick PET-G and seems like it would be worth it. The playfield right now has no signs of wear that I can find which is nice, though running my fingers over it it does feel a little rough rather than smooth. Naturally a good cleaning and waxing will resolve that, but does anyone have experience with using one of the full-field protectors for an LotR or LotR LE?

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/mCdues1kOECSJYIp70RMiQ?categoryid=22&category=Playfield%20Protectors&name=The%20Lord%20of%20the%20Rings%20%7C%202003

#3472 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

Naturally a good cleaning and waxing will resolve that, but does anyone have experience with using one of the full-field protectors for an LotR or LotR LE?

Not needed on a modern clear coat game in home use that gets regular upkeep. Just wipe down the PF every couple hundred games or so, keep the balls clean and cycle out when they get nicked, and wax it every few cycles.. and you'll be fine.

PF protectors are good for games with prior wear, no clearcoat, or where they get heavy usage like on location.

#3473 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Not needed on a modern clear coat game in home use that gets regular upkeep. Just wipe down the PF every couple hundred games or so, keep the balls clean and cycle out when they get nicked, and wax it every few cycles.. and you'll be fine.
PF protectors are good for games with prior wear, no clearcoat, or where they get heavy usage like on location.

I appreciate the response. Regardless of need, I am curious about anyone's experience using one of these on LotR.

#3474 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I appreciate the response. Regardless of need, I am curious about anyone's experience using one of these on LotR.

I have one on my Shadow and it is fine. It came with it when I bought it and it was first machine, so I left it on for extra protection. Now that I have other machines I don't see the need for a protector for home use. Heck a properly maintained machine shouldn't need on even if on location.

I get the desire to protect your playfield, but I really don't think they are needed.

#3475 5 years ago

It's a pain in the ass to install and changes the physics of the ball on the PF. I did it on exactly one game I have owned and never did it again. Not worth it (or necessary) in my opinion. BTW my LOTR I purchased new in 2004 and it is still in great shape. I bought a replacement PF, had it professionally clear coated, and it's hanging on the wall in case I ever need it down the line. To me, that is my protection since this game wont ever leave my collection (it was my first pin and a surprise Christmas present from my wife).

#3476 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

FWIW, I have one installed in my Tron and have no plans to remove it. I honestly forget the protector is there until I'm reminded for some reason. I'm an experienced player, I feel like I'd notice if it actually made the game play differently or less fun.

#3477 5 years ago

Agree 100%. I have used them on older games, especially when touching up the playfield, but would not put on a modern game that doesn't need it. The pain is the dust and dirt that gets trapped under the protectors, likely causing more damage than if you hadn't of used one. My 2 cents anyway.

<block quote cite="#4739581">

#3478 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's a pain in the ass to install and changes the physics of the ball on the PF. I did it on exactly one game I have owned and never did it again. Not worth it (or necessary) in my opinion. BTW my LOTR I purchased new in 2004 and it is still in great shape. I bought a replacement PF, had it professionally clear coated, and it's hanging on the wall in case I ever need it down the line. To me, that is my protection since this game wont ever leave my collection (it was my first pin and a surprise Christmas present from my wife).

That's exactly what I did too. I have a brand new clear coated playfield sitting in my in-laws basement. I'll pick it up one of these days haha.

#3479 5 years ago

I'm absolutely crestfallen. I had my best game of LOTR yet. Completed everything I needed and then started DTR to get to Valinor.

I had been there once before and my nerves got the best of me. Last time I hit one or two of the required shots and drained down the side. This time I took a little pause and tried to just chill.

Made the four required shots and then hit the first ring shot. Just one shot left and it was over. I must have shot that ring ramp 8 to 10 times. Every time it just seemed to fall short. The magnet just wasn't grabbing it.

Eventually my luck ran out and the ball drained. I just flopped back on the couch and facepalmed.

Not sure if my game is suffering from a weak magnet or the usual flipper coil weakness after a long game, but this one really hurt!

think I'm going to take a little break from pinball after this one. One shot away... One f**** shot haha!!!

#3480 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm absolutely crestfallen. I had my best game of LOTR yet. Completed everything I needed and then started DTR to get to Valinor.
I had been there once before and my nerves got the best of me. Last time I hit one or two of the required shots and drained down the side. This time I took a little pause and tried to just chill.
Made the four required shots and then hit the first ring shot. Just one shot left and it was over. I must have shot that ring ramp 8 to 10 times. Every time it just seemed to fall short. The magnet just wasn't grabbing it.
Eventually my luck ran out and the ball drained. I just flopped back on the couch and facepalmed.
Not sure if my game is suffering from a weak magnet or the usual flipper coil weakness after a long game, but this one really hurt!
think I'm going to take a little break from pinball after this one. One shot away... One f**** shot haha!!!

Ouch. I feel you.

#3481 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I hear you. I've destroyed the ring only 3 times in a couple hundred plays. I've had SO many games where I complete the 3 multiballs and then qualify DTR. I usually get very nervous trying to hit those 4 shots, I rarely get to shoot for the ring. Very exhausting pin, such an adrenaline rush and intense pressure during DTR. My wife doesn't care for LOTR (theme), but she played it today with me and she got to DTR for the first time ever for her. She hit 3 of the 4 shots, leaving only the tricky left ramp to complete. She hit the ramp 3 times, but not hard enough to make it all the way up and back around again. It was awesome to see how close she was to destroying the ring for the first time. One more ramp, then 2 ring shots and she was there! Next time, destroy that ring! It's crazy what happens when you do!

#3482 5 years ago

If anyone doesn't have the APB coils, please do yourself a favor and pick them up. It really helps when hitting the left ramp or center ramp during normal play but especially helps on those long playing sessions (with LOTR ball times, we all know how often that happens). Definitely the best $30 spent on a mod for your game.

#3483 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

I am curious about anyone's experience using one of these on LotR.

I have one on mine that I bought last month or so. It was there when I bought it. It is nice. I was told mine was a HUO machine and the playfield is perfect. I have not owned a lot of games and this is the first one that has a protector. I like it. It does not affect the gameplay at all as far as I can tell. Is it necessary??? I don't know. I like it knowing that it is there and that there will be no additional wear to the playfield.

#3484 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

If anyone doesn't have the APB coils, please do yourself a favor and pick them up.

Where is the best place to get these?

#3487 5 years ago

When the magnet in my ring catches the ball, it starts to shake and rattle a bit before being released. It's fairly loud like a chattering sound. Is that normal or do I need to adjust something?

#3488 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

If anyone doesn't have the APB coils, please do yourself a favor and pick them up. It really helps when hitting the left ramp or center ramp during normal play but especially helps on those long playing sessions (with LOTR ball times, we all know how often that happens). Definitely the best $30 spent on a mod for your game.

Just placed an order. I'm fairly new to owning LOTR but now that I've gotten to put a lot more playtime on it I can definitely see how new coils will change the game for the better. Thanks for the recommendation.

#3489 5 years ago
Quoted from ktownhero:

When the magnet in my ring catches the ball, it starts to shake and rattle a bit before being released. It's fairly loud like a chattering sound. Is that normal or do I need to adjust something?

normal

#3490 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Followed the link, but says doesn't ship internationally. Any spot for us Canadians?

I had to ship it to my US Post office box. I usually pick my mail up every few months. If you want to ship it to me I can forward it to you when I head out to Buffalo next time.

#3491 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Funny thing is, I have a set of them here. I was worried it would change the feel of the game (shots being harder/faster).

I'd love for the game to play the way it does now but remain the same strength during long gameplay.

Do the upgraded coils feel different?

#3492 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Funny thing is, I have a set of them here. I was worried it would change the feel of the game (shots being harder/faster).
I'd love for the game to play the way it does now but remain the same strength during long gameplay.
Do the upgraded coils feel different?

A little but nothing too crazy like the PBL coils and in my opinion worth the small change even for those who want it to feel 100% original because of what it gives you on long ball times. I actually prefer them a tad bit stronger at all times because it makes the ring shot and most notably the left ramp a little more reliable. I used to get 2ish roll backs for every one good shot on the left ramp with my original coils.

#3493 5 years ago

ktownhero:

I have the playfield protector for LOTR. I, unfortunately, have a ring plastic (the large one in front of the flippers) that wasn't flush with the playfield which created a dip spot. I decided to get the protector as the playfield had been routed and was worn well in some areas (I bought it when I was new to pinball and easy to take advantage of). Regardless, it is great and while the ball may act a bit different, I prefer it to trying to clearcoat the playfield or get a new playfield.

#3494 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I picked up a pair of these about 2 weeks ago. I read good things about them, and I used to have a different LOTR months ago that had them. Only slightly more powerful, but just enough to make the shots a bit crisper and the ring shot more confident. They don't seem to tire during long play either.

Question - can you give me a basic install 101 on how to replace these? I assume simply remove the original coils by de-soldering and then replace these and solder the wires back on? I'm new to soldering, just bought an iron and station. But I would like the stronger flipper coils if I can install them myself.

Any tips are appreciated!

#3495 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I picked up a pair of these about 2 weeks ago. I read good things about them, and I used to have a different LOTR months ago that had them. Only slightly more powerful, but just enough to make the shots a bit crisper and the ring shot more confident. They don't seem to tire during long play either.
Question - can you give me a basic install 101 on how to replace these? I assume simply remove the original coils by de-soldering and then replace these and solder the wires back on? I'm new to soldering, just bought an iron and station. But I would like the stronger flipper coils if I can install them myself.
Any tips are appreciated!

Yes. Even easier, just snip old ones, and leave a tiny piece so you can refer to the wire colours.

Watch a couple soldering videos on YouTube, and ask any questions you have here

I've never done it on a Stern but I've done it on many B/W games. Same idea though.

the only thing that I am unsure about is how you align the flipper bats. I know with B/W games, you can put a toothpick in the alignment hole and just rest the bottom of the bat on that. Not sure how you do it with Stern though.

#3496 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Yes. Even easier, just snip old ones, and leave a tiny piece so you can refer to the wire colours.
Watch a couple soldering videos on YouTube, and ask any questions you have here
I've never done it on a Stern but I've done it on many B/W games. Same idea though.
the only thing that I am unsure about is how you align the flipper bats. I know with B/W games, you can put a toothpick in the alignment hole and just rest the bottom of the bat on that. Not sure how you do it with Stern though.

Simply line them up with the ball return guides for the in lanes. Stern games still have an indentation for alignment as well but I prefer to line them up perfectly straight with the in lane guides as my reference point. Tighten the bat until you can just barely move it with some decent force. Adjust until straight and then finish final tightening.

#3497 5 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Simply line them up with the ball return guides for the in lanes. Stern games still have an indentation for alignment as well but I prefer to line them up perfectly straight with the in lane guides as my reference point. Tighten the bat until you can just barely move it with some decent force. Adjust until straight and then finish final tightening.

No, this is not good advice! Stern games don't all have flippers that align with the guides. Deadpool and Ghostbusters come to mind.

To do it properly, use the holes.

Stern uses holes like B/W, but unlike B/W you must point the tip of the bat towards the hole. Simple.

#3498 5 years ago

Need some help...
I have an EPROM chip Burner and i was trying to download the code to update my LORD, display and cpu, im still on the V6.00.
Any of you can send me the files, cant find them no more.
Thanks

#3499 5 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

ktownhero:
I have the playfield protector for LOTR. I, unfortunately, have a ring plastic (the large one in front of the flippers) that wasn't flush with the playfield which created a dip spot. I decided to get the protector as the playfield had been routed and was worn well in some areas (I bought it when I was new to pinball and easy to take advantage of). Regardless, it is great and while the ball may act a bit different, I prefer it to trying to clearcoat the playfield or get a new playfield.

Insightful, thank you. I decided to order one from Cointaker since I was already ordering LEDs anyway.

The machine I got is in good shape but needs a good teardown and cleaning. I'm going to have the playfield apart, so I figured I might as well just put a protector down while I'm there. The machine has some raised inserts that don't affect game play but still irk me.

#3500 5 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you have to re-align the flipper bats if your just replacing the coil? Just remove the coil stop, slide the old coil off, slide the new coil on. No need to take the plunger and link loose from the flipper bat, AFAIK.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
9,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life
Armor and blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
€ 7.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals
Flipper parts
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 70 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/70?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.