lord1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,141 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 203.
#3351 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Sounds very possible that it doesn't have the correct number of balls in it.

Had the same issue. Put in the fourth ball

#3352 5 years ago

Looking to get in touch with or purchase the Palantir mod. It's almost been like a quest for the ring itself.

Thanks for any assistance in this!

#3353 5 years ago
Quoted from Slingshot:

Looking to get in touch with or purchase the Palantir mod.

A lot of people think this is an attainable goal but its not. Jay makes maybe 3 a year and only brings them to select tournaments that he is competing in. Much better off making one from scratch, the materials cost less than 20 bucks and anybody with a little artistic skill should be able to pull it off.

#3354 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

A lot of people think this is an attainable goal but its not. Jay makes maybe 3 a year and only brings them to select tournaments that he is competing in. Much better off making one from scratch, the materials cost less than 20 bucks and anybody with a little artistic skill should be able to pull it off.

My game was purchased from the previous owner with a palantir mod that simply consisted of a new (glass?) orb that doesn't have the screw hole in it. It's kind of like an hour glass shape where the bottom is a small sphere below the larger one that's on display as the palantir. The bottom one is held onto the plate with a small rubber ring. At any rate, I have no idea where one acquires this, but assuming you can, the eye image in the orb is a simple matter of printing off a tiny picture of the Eye of Sauron on some printer paper, taping it (or some better adhesive - super glue for something permanent or hot glue for something that can be changed later) where you can see it from your normal playing position, and back light it with a flex led.

#3355 5 years ago

I'm spending too much on AOME figures here and there as I find what seem like deals on eBay! You buy one to replace an in-game piece and the rest look bad in comparison, so then you buy another set that has a couple you need... and another set... before you know it, you've spent more than a $100 on some old toys!

Luckily the supply of these toys hasn't dried up in all these years and probably the demand has died down a lot.

I did end up getting my Army of the Dead set NIB for about 20 shipped.

Not sure if I'll end up adding many extras, but it's easy to imagine going overboard with all the available figures.

I ended up 3D printing a staff for Saruman that I think helps bring his look together better.

IMG_20181011_1742220 (resized).jpgIMG_20181011_1742220 (resized).jpg
#3356 5 years ago
Quoted from Slingshot:

Looking to get in touch with or purchase the Palantir mod. It's almost been like a quest for the ring itself.

Thanks for any assistance in this!

I was curious to know where to get replacement palantirs, and found references to these:
https://www.cristalier.com/products/clear-smooth-crystal-ball

You'll want the 30mm one. I measured the stock palantir at about 31mm, so the size is pretty close to stock. Even if you didn't do an eye projection onto it, the clear orb looks way better than the one with a screw in it.

#3357 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I was curious to know where to get replacement palantirs, and found references to these:
https://www.cristalier.com/products/clear-smooth-crystal-ball
You'll want the 30mm one. I measured the stock palantir at about 31mm, so the size is pretty close to stock. Even if you didn't do an eye projection onto it, the clear orb looks way better than the one with a screw in it.

Jay's mod Palantir Crystal Ball is much larger than that at 50mm. As soon as I have a little time I'm going to play around and try to make one for a friend of mine who just picked up a mint LOTR, as I have one of the last run of Jay's to use as a guide. He would buy one as well, however the availability of these in any significant quantity has been slim and none in the last year......

#3358 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Jay's mod Palantir Crystal Ball is much larger than that at 50mm. As soon as I have a little time I'm going to play around and try to make one for a friend of mine who just picked up a mint LOTR, as I have one of the last run of Jay's to use as a guide. He would buy one as well, however the availability of these in any significant quantity has been slim and none in the last year......

I think that would look too big. I successfully (temporarily) had an image projected onto my 30mm one with a simple printout that was back lit with a flex bulb. It was just taped on and fell off, but I'll eventually make it more permanent.

#3360 5 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Just bought these to start building a projected Palantir
ebay.com link » Us Stock Clear Glass Crystal Ball Healing Sphere Photography Props Gifts 30 80mm
ebay.com link » Lord Of The Rings The One Ring Lotr Stainless Steel Fashion Mens Ring Size 6 13

If it's just a ball, it will be trickier to mount, I would think. The one I linked has a nub for stringing something through, and can aid in mounting. I'm pretty sure that's the kind that was in my game when I bought it. It ends up being an adhesive free installation.

#3361 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

I think that would look too big. I successfully (temporarily) had an image projected onto my 30mm one with a simple printout that was back lit with a flex bulb. It was just taped on and fell off, but I'll eventually make it more permanent.

Like I said, the ones that Jay has sold dozens of over the years is 50mm and looks fantastic!

#3362 5 years ago

I have two LOTRs at my place right now, and one of them seems to have an issue when the VUK fires the ball up to the POTD.

The ball fires out pretty forcefully, and usually walks against the side wall (cabinet) before making its way down past the switches. Often it comes out so quickly that the first set of switches don't even register the ball passing over.

There are also times when the VUK shoots it up, it hits the side wall and bounces right back down into the VUK.

Is this a common problem, and is there a suggested fix for it?

Thanks!

#3363 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Often it comes out so quickly that the first set of switches don't even register the ball passing over.

It has been mentioned that there is a delay and the POTD switches are not immediately active when the VUK shoots the ball up, so occasionally not registering in the top row is not unusual. (I guess that is done, so the VUK does not shake that upper playfield and cause a switch to register without a hit.)

It is also not unusual that the ball will sometimes hit the wall and bounce back down to the VUK again. There is a mod sold which is a flat plastic that lays in the upper right corner of the upper playfield to keep the ball from rolling back down the VUK.

Not sure why your VUK is kicking too hard. Did you check the coil and stopper and confirm everything is secure and looks OK? Does it have the same coil as your other LOTR?

#3364 5 years ago
Quoted from simplykind:

Just bought these to start building a projected Palantir
ebay.com link » Us Stock Clear Glass Crystal Ball Healing Sphere Photography Props Gifts 30 80mm
ebay.com link » Lord Of The Rings The One Ring Lotr Stainless Steel Fashion Mens Ring Size 6 13

I'm not sure what you plan is, but I'd love to see what you come up with.

With todays adhesives, you'll probably be just fine attaching a glass sphere. However, you may want to think about an acrylic sphere as they are more impact resistant than glass.

#3365 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

It has been mentioned that there is a delay and the POTD switches are not immediately active when the VUK shoots the ball up, so occasionally not registering in the top row is not unusual. (I guess that is done, so the VUK does not shake that upper playfield and cause a switch to register without a hit.)
It is also not unusual that the ball will sometimes hit the wall and bounce back down to the VUK again. There is a mod sold which is a flat plastic that lays in the upper right corner of the upper playfield to keep the ball from rolling back down the VUK.
Not sure why your VUK is kicking too hard. Did you check the coil and stopper and confirm everything is secure and looks OK? Does it have the same coil as your other LOTR?

I'll have to check the coil when I have a chance. Do you have a link to that mod?

#3366 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I think there is an option to disable this delay though if you want to.

#3367 5 years ago

new stainless steel panel for LOTR

$ 141 shipped

if you are interested send me a pm

e5a2645c82b3853112a2858424224eec81ae7749 (resized).jpge5a2645c82b3853112a2858424224eec81ae7749 (resized).jpg
#3368 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

Gotta make it gold! Looks cool tho, do you have any pictures on a machine?

#3369 5 years ago

Anyone have this issue where the ball get stuck on on the edge of the wireworm as it ejects from the VUK?

Also, the nuts on the left side of the wireworm is missing, is this intentional?

And the weird washer on top of the post, is that right?

IMG_20181027_010926 (resized).jpgIMG_20181027_010926 (resized).jpg

#3370 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone have this issue where the ball get stuck on on the edge of the wireworm as it ejects from the VUK?
Also, the nuts on the left side of the wireworm is missing, is this intentional?
And the weird washer on top of the post, is that right?

Mine rarely gets stuck there. There should be a nut holding the wireform.

Your washer is much larger than mine. It only needs to keep balls from trapping between the Palantir and Balrog. The smaller washer would probably let the ball fall out of there.

#3371 5 years ago

You need to put a nut there behind Palantir to hold the wireform down. Having no nut allows the wireform to raise slightly when the ball is launched upward. Thereby letting the ball get trapped. Just theory of course, but seems solid.

#3372 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Your washer is much larger than mine

It's also way larger then mine. Try swapping for a smaller one.

#3373 5 years ago

FWIW, I have no washer and no problem.

#3374 5 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

$ 141 shipped
if you are interested send me a pm
[quoted image]

Quoted from ruzeo:

Gotta make it gold! Looks cool tho, do you have any pictures on a machine?

Couldn’t agree more. Can’t image stainless steel on the LOTR backboard looking good at all. Change my mind with pics... I’m open.

#3375 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Mine rarely gets stuck there. There should be a nut holding the wireform.
Your washer is much larger than mine. It only needs to keep balls from trapping between the Palantir and Balrog. The smaller washer would probably let the ball fall out of there.

that's weird. The machine I have is home use only and rarely used from what I can see. The previous owner I doubt changed anything. Could it have come from the factory like this?

Can anyone share a photo of the same area of their game so I can compare. Thanks.

#3376 5 years ago

Photo. Now I see, your post is supposed to hold the ramp down. Move that post with the washer!!

IMG_6138 (resized).JPGIMG_6138 (resized).JPG

#3377 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Photo. Now I see, your post is supposed to hold the ramp down. Move that post with the washer!!
[quoted image]

Hmmmmmm... Is there a small washer between the post and wireform?

#3378 5 years ago

Mine's like this.

lotr (resized).jpglotr (resized).jpg
#3379 5 years ago

Never a problem - here’s mine.

A73ACEC4-7100-40AC-A8AE-21D12899317E (resized).jpegA73ACEC4-7100-40AC-A8AE-21D12899317E (resized).jpeg
#3380 5 years ago

Weird, seems everyone has a different setup.

Anyone an original owner that never changed it? Want to know how it was set out of the factory.

#3381 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Weird, seems everyone has a different setup.

Anyone an original owner that never changed it? Want to know how it was set out of the factory.

Yes, curious.

#3382 5 years ago

dmieczko and my photo are just about identical.

My top washer is bit larger than the lower while his are reversed. Probably either will correct your trap issue.

#3383 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Here you go. I bought my game NIB.

IMG_20181028_1323089 (resized).jpgIMG_20181028_1323089 (resized).jpg
#3384 5 years ago

Sorry for the bad pic. Took it on my way out to work.

#3385 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Here you go. I bought my game NIB. [quoted image]

Interesting... And you never changed anything?

#3386 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Interesting... And you never changed anything?

Nope. Came from the factory that way.

#3387 5 years ago

Anyone installed gold pop bumper bodies in their LOTR? If so, did you leave the white skirts or did you do something else? I was thinking maybe clear shirts might go Ok with gold bodies...?

If anyone has any pics they can sure of installed gold pop bumper bodies, please do!

#3388 5 years ago

It’s back! I finally found an original, one-owner LOTR to add to my collection for the 2nd (and last) time. I traded one away earlier this year and regretted it. This pin is a masterpiece. This one has 120 plays on it and 100% original bulbs, rubber (getting a bit faded and stiff) and zero mods. I’m starting from scratch, but it’s going to be fun! To Valinor this time?

12DCF9B2-CB9C-49EF-9F33-EE4511622CD4 (resized).jpeg12DCF9B2-CB9C-49EF-9F33-EE4511622CD4 (resized).jpeg16D23B84-5839-4626-B190-FC715B001438 (resized).jpeg16D23B84-5839-4626-B190-FC715B001438 (resized).jpegA2832184-D4D3-4361-B205-CC81CF05C578 (resized).jpegA2832184-D4D3-4361-B205-CC81CF05C578 (resized).jpegC363392D-FD36-4BCE-9BED-3798025B012C (resized).jpegC363392D-FD36-4BCE-9BED-3798025B012C (resized).jpegDA9A9C69-5E7A-42D2-9DE0-0C7567DD6922 (resized).jpegDA9A9C69-5E7A-42D2-9DE0-0C7567DD6922 (resized).jpeg
#3389 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It’s back! I finally found an original, one-owner LOTR to add to my collection for the 2nd (and last) time. I traded one away earlier this year and regretted it. This pin is a masterpiece. This one has 120 plays on it and 100% original bulbs, rubber (getting a bit faded and stiff) and zero mods. I’m starting from scratch, but it’s going to be fun! To Valinor this time?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love seeing a nice unmolested LOTR with proper GI lighting. Congrats, it's a beauty!

#3390 5 years ago

Sometimes when lock is lit on my LOTR, when the ball is kicked up from the Gimli hole to the sword lock it will award a lock. I'm pretty sure it didn't always do this. Anyone know what would cause this? Thanks!

#3391 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Sometimes when lock is lit on my LOTR, when the ball is kicked up from the Gimli hole to the sword lock it will award a lock. I'm pretty sure it didn't always do this. Anyone know what would cause this? Thanks!

First I would check the two switches on the right ramp in switch test to see if either is flakey.

#3392 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I have mine sitting next to POTC too. Two very different games that compliment each other in home collection.

F21714A1-2B0B-4ADB-8C41-7CD4A8BE77E7 (resized).jpegF21714A1-2B0B-4ADB-8C41-7CD4A8BE77E7 (resized).jpeg
#3393 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I have mine sitting next to POTC too. Two very different games that compliment each other in home collection.[quoted image]

Nice toppers! That’s one area I’m really lacking. I have only 1 topper (WOZ) and the only other one I had on Tron I broke.

I agree those two compliment each other. People say POTC is easy, but not if the angle is steep and the rules are set to hard! Then it’s short and punishing.

#3394 5 years ago

Looking for a bit of advice, I've rebuilt my flippers and they are usually nice and strong. However some times i feel it depends on how i press the flipper buttons (quick tap vs hard press etc). I'm wondering if the cab switches could be making a better consistent connection when pressed. They do look a bit rough and not smooth on the connector tabs (sorry I don't know the correct names). Can I file them down a bit with a metal file? Any other tips? Am I lookling in the wrong direction in terms of improving consistent flipper power?

#3395 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Looking for a bit of advice, I've rebuilt my flippers and they are usually nice and strong. However some times i feel it depends on how i press the flipper buttons (quick tap vs hard press etc). I'm wondering if the cab switches could be making a better consistent connection when pressed. They do look a bit rough and not smooth on the connector tabs (sorry I don't know the correct names). Can I file them down a bit with a metal file? Any other tips? Am I lookling in the wrong direction in terms of improving consistent flipper power?

Install new switches. The factory switches they used back then are garbage. I had to change them on mine, it made a world of difference.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-10A-48

#3396 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Take a 1$ bill put it in between the contacts push them together and pull the 1$ bill out the best way to get your contacts clean

#3397 5 years ago

Ha ha, remember our Canadian money is plastic! I use business cards and work just as well.

Quoted from Delta9:

Take a 1$ bill put it in between the contacts push them together and pull the 1$ bill out the best way to get your contacts clean

#3398 5 years ago

Advice on removing a sticker - I don't want to risk scratching the back or leaving residue that would look worse. Leave it or try to remove.

Happy I am part of the LOTR club, fantastic game.

IMG_20181110_0911227 (resized).jpgIMG_20181110_0911227 (resized).jpg
#3399 5 years ago
Quoted from jedi42:

Advice on removing a sticker - I don't want to risk scratching the back or leaving residue that would look worse. Leave it or try to remove.
Happy I am part of the LOTR club, fantastic game.
[quoted image]

Razor blade and WD-40.

#3400 5 years ago

Razor blade and rubbing alcohol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
$ 12.95
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,141 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/68 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.