IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 204.
#3251 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

Standard Figures Include:
Merry and Pippin on left sling
Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol on right sling
2 Orcs on the right side, one red one black. Aragorn on horseback above them.
Saruman upper left
Gandalf the white on horseback in middle
Orc with head in the back next to Barad-Dur
Ringwraith on horse, top of the sword

Cool, thanks for that. I think I have more than that, gotta go through it and then will end up listing it at some point.

#3252 5 years ago

Pippin seems to be missing his head in my game... I found a cheap-ish replacement on eBay, so I should be good to go with figures.

Did Stern ditch the removable weapons for these figures on the slings or were those perhaps lost along the way?

#3253 5 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

Pippin seems to be missing his head in my game... I found a cheap-ish replacement on eBay, so I should be good to go with figures.
Did Stern ditch the removable weapons for these figures on the slings or were those perhaps lost along the way?

Most of my weapons were missing. I took off the others knowing they would come off during play.

#3254 5 years ago

None had them from Stern on my NIB pin. I bought the big figure pack very early on (2004) and superglued them all in their hands. I think maybe one has fallen off in 14 years.

#3255 5 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Does anyone happen to have a list of the figures for the game? I have a set sitting in a box, but i need to figure out if it has everything. It also has a Sauron figure which I do not recall seeing anyone use?

I see the list has been posted, but if you wanted to see images of the figures and their placement, check page 90 of the manual.

#3256 5 years ago
Quoted from the_one:

Got a really cool DMD board cover.[quoted image]

Are you making these or someone selling them? I agree it looks great...

#3257 5 years ago

Question on the Arwen plastic, I've read that this plastic has broken for some folks.

Back in the day, I installed the POTD plastic diverter that sends the ball to the wireform instead of allowing it to flow off the end of the POTD. I did this mod because I liked the faster flow of the game.

Are folks having problems from the ball falling off the POTD on to the Arwen plastic or from a shot to the Shire? I have noticed that shots to the Shire are pretty hard from the right flipper, I could see it possibly bouncing up and hitting the edge of the Arwen plastic. If that is not the way the Arwen plastic is breaking for everybody, I won't worry about it.

#3258 5 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Back in the day, I installed the POTD plastic diverter that sends the ball to the wireform instead of allowing it to flow off the end of the POTD. I did this mod because I liked the faster flow of the game.

There is a clear piece of plastic that covers the arwen piece that will protect it just fine. The potd diverter mod increases the flow of the game but it actually is to your disadvantage. The game was designed to give you extra souls if the ball falls off the potd into the shire so you are actually making the game harder by using that mod.

#3259 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

There is a clear piece of plastic that covers the arwen piece that will protect it just fine. The potd diverter mod increases the flow of the game but it actually is to your disadvantage. The game was designed to give you extra souls if the ball falls off the potd into the shire so you are actually making the game harder by using that mod.

Ruzeo is correct. The best Arwen protector that also still gives you the gameplay and souls at intended is this one:

https://redshiftled.com.au/Plastic-stuff.php

I have it installed on my LOTR and it works perfectly.....

#3260 5 years ago

I finally joined the club with a very nice HUO machine. Does anyone have a topper they want to sell? PM me.

#3261 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Ruzeo is correct. The best Arwen protector that also still gives you the gameplay and souls at intended is this one:

I must have missed this mod when I took a pinside vacation. Thanks for posting it. Looks like it would really help this area.
Ordered it. Roughly $47 including shipping to US

#3262 5 years ago

Does anyone need one of these? PM me if interested.

Screenshot_20180916-233733 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180916-233733 (resized).png
#3263 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Just not sure the few extra souls you get is worth it over the diverter, it's another stop/start process in shooting the POTD.

#3264 5 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

Just not sure the few extra souls you get is worth it over the diverter, it's another stop/start process in shooting the POTD.

It starts at 200 souls and increments by 50 each following time, plus you get the Shire mystery award if it's available. It adds up after a few POTD and makes ROTK multiball much more accessible, as intended by the Gomez & Keefer......

#3265 5 years ago
Quoted from JONESDS:

I see it as simply nerfing the game or not.

I've owned LOTR for over 14years and taken it to shows too. And my ball falls down to the saucer. I've put the petg plastic under the factory plastic and it's held up fine.

#3266 5 years ago

Just picked up this HUO LOTR over the weekend. Did a complete shop job, added Cointaker premium LEDs, added spotlights at the top of the slingshots, and speaker LEDs and acrylics. I changed the Cointaker kit a little to have more warm white for the GI and I changed the coloring of several insert lights. I think it came out great and I couldn't be happier!

IMG_20180917_201300 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_201300 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_201542 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_201542 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_201555 (resized).jpgIMG_20180917_201555 (resized).jpg
#3267 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

Just picked up this HUO LOTR over the weekend. Did a complete shop job, added Cointaker premium LEDs, added spotlights at the top of the slingshots, and speaker LEDs and acrylics. I changed the Cointaker kit a little to have more warm white for the GI and I changed the coloring of several insert lights. I think it came out great and I couldn't be happier!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great... the warm whites really photograph well!!

Now, if I might be so bold, I would offer up that ColorDMD and mirror blades would make that baby even more beautiful. Oh yeah, don’t forget the Palantir Projected Eye mod. And Ryan’s habitrail mod for left ramp return. And... ok, the list gets too long... just play and have fun!!

#3268 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Looks great... the warm whites really photograph well!!
Now, if I might be so bold, I would offer up that ColorDMD and mirror blades would make that baby even more beautiful. Oh yeah, don’t forget the Palantir Projected Eye mod. And Ryan’s habitrail mod for left ramp return. And... ok, the list gets too long... just play and have fun!!

I'm considering the color DMD. My collection is made up of 6 Stern games. If I buy it for one, I'll have to buy it for all...that's just how it goes.

I would love to get the Palantir projected eye mod, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I haven't see that Jay is making them anymore, but would definitely buy one if I can find it.

I am on the list with Ryan for his next run of habitrail mods. I can't wait to get that clear plastic out of there!

I ordered the sword tip decal, the shire decal, and a topper from Tilttoper.com which should all be here in a few days. The topper purchase is like the ColorDMD...all my other games have them so I had to.

#3269 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I'm considering the color DMD.

It's fantastic on this game!

#3270 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I'm considering the color DMD. My collection is made up of 6 Stern games. If I buy it for one, I'll have to buy it for all...that's just how it goes.
I would love to get the Palantir projected eye mod, but can't seem to find it anywhere. I haven't see that Jay is making them anymore, but would definitely buy one if I can find it.
I am on the list with Ryan for his next run of habitrail mods. I can't wait to get that clear plastic out of there!
I ordered the sword tip decal, the shire decal, and a topper from Tilttoper.com which should all be here in a few days. The topper purchase is like the ColorDMD...all my other games have them so I had to.

Buy three and they throw in free shipping! What a steal

#3271 5 years ago

Now that the LED ColorDMD is available, has anyone used the LED version on LOTR? Any opinions on it vs the LCD in this game?

I'm really loving this game. I only played it a few times over the years prior to buying it, so never really learned the intricacies. I get to discover most everything as brand new in my home now.

I'm also not sure what's a mod and what's stock.

I've got these things installed that I'm confident are mods:
-Shaker Motor (and supporting roms)
-Side blades (that I actually hate the look of and will be removing...)
-Some kind of Palantir mod. It's a nicer looking orb with no screw thread going up through it, but it's not one with a projected image.
-Lit Gandalf staff - it's blue and my eyes can't stand blue lights, so I'm going to have to change it out to something else. I think I could actually improve upon the design of this mod.
-Plastic protector over the Arwen plastic and perhaps a couple others.
-decal at the sword tip - I saw someone mention this as a mod, so I guess it's a mod and not stock.
-some extra wraith models standing on either side of the sword handle. I'll probably remove or relocate these.
-it came with a terrible looking guy from the army of the dead and lighting for it down in the coin box, but I'll probably go with Armies of Middle Earth figures instead.

At any rate, I didn't realize I was getting some of those mods. I'd have wanted the shaker and nicer palantir anyway, so I guess I saved a bit of money with those included.

#3272 5 years ago

I'm also not sure what's a mod and what's stock.

All of those items listed are mods. LotR-LE(2009) came stock with a shaker, but those have gold armor and a special translite with gold outlines, so you don't have an LE.

#3273 5 years ago

Now that the LED ColorDMD is available, has anyone used the LED version on LOTR? Any opinions on it vs the LCD in this game?

It's all subjective. I don't like the LCD for any DMD game. Others feel the exact opposite. I only use the LED display coupled with the Comet "glare guard."

If you can view them in person at a (b)arcade or a friends house, that might help you decide what is right for you.

#3274 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

It's all subjective. I don't like the LCD for any DMD game. Others feel the exact opposite. I only use the LED display coupled with the Comet "glare guard

Do you have a LED in LOTR? If so, can you post video? I can't find one with the LED version installed. Thanks!

#3275 5 years ago

I’m debating about my winter project. I have a TSPP playfield cleared by Ron K and the LOTR cleared by Ron K.....which one do I do? I’m thinking LOTR

#3276 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Do you have a LED in LOTR? If so, can you post video? I can't find one with the LED version installed. Thanks!

My LOTR is under an LED light in my basement. I made a video of a 14 minute game but not close up to the LED display. I also made a 6 minute video with a close up. I think LED looks great in LOTR, TOM, and ST LE. I have LCD in Spiderman and STTNG. I have the Spiderman at large DOTs and the STTNG on the setting that blends the dots. I think I like LED better. Of course that is always a subjective personal opinion.

Close up video:

Longer video:

Hope this helps. Michael

#3277 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Hope this helps. Michael

This does help and looks great! Thanks a ton for posting the vids!

#3278 5 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

My LOTR is under an LED light in my basement. I made a video of a 14 minute game but not close up to the LED display. I also made a 6 minute video with a close up. I think LED looks great in LOTR, TOM, and ST LE. I have LCD in Spiderman and STTNG. I have the Spiderman at large DOTs and the STTNG on the setting that blends the dots. I think I like LED better. Of course that is always a subjective personal opinion.
Close up video:
Longer video:
Hope this helps. Michael

What the major difference between the LCD and LED? I put LCD in mine.

#3279 5 years ago

Anyone who have added the convolux mod?
Pinside thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/convoluxcom
Store options: http://www.shop.freddys-pinball-paradise.de/index.php?f=3&q=convolux%206578
It looks REALLY nice on other machines I have seen and want to add to my LOTR...
Any experience and color advice - red seems obvious!?

#3280 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

What the major difference between the LCD and LED? I put LCD in mine.

LCD provides more display options including larger dots and the blending of the dots to create solid text and pictures (high resolution upscaling). It looks good straight on but is dimmer. You can really see this at an angle. It is larger since it is basically a laptop display.

LED is brighter and just has the ability to display dots. The colors pop. The size is exactly the same as original display. The price is a little less.

Since I like the brighter display and the look of the dots, LED is better for me.

#3281 5 years ago

I prefer the hi rez or dots XL depending on the title so I always go with LCD on my games. Just a taste thing and what you happen to prefer.

#3283 5 years ago

I have it. I like it. It is stands out. In the video I posted above about the colordmd, you can sort of see it when display is not reflecting.

#3284 5 years ago

Wondering if someone can take a quick look at their game, and confirm if the speaker wires are the same as it my photos.

My TSPP has the black striped wires going to "+".

Would really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks

IMG_20180919_160044 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_160044 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_160106 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_160106 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_160120 (resized).jpgIMG_20180919_160120 (resized).jpg
#3285 5 years ago

Same as mine.

Quoted from Damien:

Wondering if someone can take a quick look at their game, and confirm if the speaker wires are the same as it my photos.
My TSPP has the black striped wires going to "+".
Would really appreciate any help on this.
Thanks
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

#3286 5 years ago

So you have black striped wires going to "+"?

Do you know if reversing the polarity (as I had done unknowingly) could have caused something to go on the CPU/sound board?

#3287 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

So you have black striped wires going to "+"?
Do you know if reversing the polarity (as I had done unknowingly) could have caused something to go on the CPU/sound board?

Yes, black stripe is positive. It shouldnt do any damage if you reversed them, it just won't work. The signal is going out to the sub, not flowing back in.

#3288 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Yes, black stripe is positive. It shouldnt do any damage if you reversed them, it just won't work. The signal is going out to the sub, not flowing back in.

The top amp gets much hotter than the one below it.

That normal?

#3289 5 years ago

Just joined the club!

Won't bore you all with the mods list, let's just say "extensive"
Don't want to add stuff for the sake of it, but most of the mods improve the light show or sound, or keep the ball in the right places/stop things from breaking so I figure why not. And modding is fun!

Bloody hell what a deep rule set though. I picked up Dracula in about an hour. After an hour of LOTR last night and I'm still "wait! What?"

Love it!

#3290 5 years ago

The topper from Tilt came today. It looks beautiful on LOTR. I know some people don't like toppers, but I have them on all my games.

IMG_20180920_141350 (resized).jpgIMG_20180920_141350 (resized).jpgIMG_20180920_141437 (resized).jpgIMG_20180920_141437 (resized).jpgIMG_20180920_141447 (resized).jpgIMG_20180920_141447 (resized).jpg
#3291 5 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

The topper from Tilt came today

I love the Ms Pac on the wall!

#3292 5 years ago

Anyone have any tips for when the sword ramp plunger assembly is sticking such that when two balls are locked and the ball returns from the vuk or ring, it drops both locked balls instead of only one. I assume it could be grime on the coil sleeve, old spring, mushroomed coil stop or mushroomed plunger assembly or any combination of them. Anyone have any suggestions what is likely to wear out first? Or am I better off just purchasing multiple parts of the assembly? I'd appreciate any help you can think of. Thanks.

#3293 5 years ago

Would try disassembling the mech, cleaning everything, replacing the coil sleeve and reassembling before ordering any parts.

#3294 5 years ago
Quoted from C_S_S:

Anyone have any tips for when the sword ramp plunger assembly is sticking such that when two balls are locked and the ball returns from the vuk or ring, it drops both locked balls instead of only one. I assume it could be grime on the coil sleeve, old spring, mushroomed coil stop or mushroomed plunger assembly or any combination of them. Anyone have any suggestions what is likely to wear out first? Or am I better off just purchasing multiple parts of the assembly? I'd appreciate any help you can think of. Thanks.

Just pull it apart first... won't take you long. More than likely just grimy or maybe the spring broke. Check its action in test mode too.

Flipper and pop bumper plungers and stops wear because of the high number of cycles they go through. Most other solenoid mechs don't ever wear out the plunger and stop. Just sleeves links and springs wear

#3295 5 years ago

Quick question, is the light bulb in Balrog supposed to be a 89 bulb? I just order a new bulb socket, but it's bigger than the one that I am replacing, which used a 44 bulb.

So one of them isn't right. Which one?

#3296 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Quick question, is the light bulb in Balrog supposed to be a 89 bulb? I just order a new bulb socket, but it's bigger than the one that I am replacing, which used a 44 bulb.

No it's a 44/47 socket. It's just a 12v bulb though, so they are harder to get in that size/voltage.

The socket part number is: 077-5003-00-80

Here is one bulb that fits the 44/47 and is 12 volts:
https://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/5smd12vba9s.htm

#3297 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

No it's a 44/47 socket. It's just a 12v bulb though, so they are harder to get in that size/voltage.

So this is wrong?

balrog (resized).pngbalrog (resized).png
#3298 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

So this is wrong?

It's correct for some machines. Early build LOTR's (like mine) have the 89 size base. Stern swapped this out because bulbs were blowing rather quickly with the bashing the mech gets.

#3299 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Quoted from Lamprey:

Quoted from Damien:

So this is wrong?[quoted image]

Quoted from Only_Pinball:

It's correct for some machines. Early build LOTR's (like mine) have the 89 size base. Stern swapped this out because bulbs were blowing rather quickly with the bashing the mech gets.

See Service Bulletin #148 (Balrog LED Module Installation) for more details:

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb148.pdf

#3300 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I have the original led service bulletin bulb, how does the comet bulb compare? I was wondering if it was brighter and lit the balrog more to give him a more fiery appearance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/66?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.