IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,197 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 204.
#3101 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have definitely had this happen. It happened to me when the vuk sends it just right and it starts immediately through the lanes (rather than bouncing around at the top a bit). It’s almost like the switches weren’t ready yet. Or the game isn’t counting them yet. Those same switches work fine when there is a pause after the vuk

That makes me feel better as im glad it’s not only me. I agree it’s probably a designed delay since the switches always register when tested. I dont know how else i can slow the ball down off the vuk without causing a possible spot for sticking. Sometimes frustrating though when not receiving the 500 souls that you should.

#3102 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I have definitely had this happen. It happened to me when the vuk sends it just right and it starts immediately through the lanes (rather than bouncing around at the top a bit). It’s almost like the switches weren’t ready yet. Or the game isn’t counting them yet. Those same switches work fine when there is a pause after the vuk

I remember an adjustment that was added, something like "Ignore path of the dead on kick". It is to prevent the path switches from registering when the upkicker fires the ball. Maybe try changing that setting and see what effect it has?

#3103 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

It’s almost like the switches weren’t ready yet.

That should be easy to test with the glass off.

In the past I had some intermittent issues with lane 2 not always registering, but I have not seen that in a long time. I don't recall if I did anything to make it go away.

#3104 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I remember an adjustment that was added, something like "Ignore path of the dead on kick". It is to prevent the path switches from registering when the upkicker fires the ball. Maybe try changing that setting and see what effect it has?

Oops I missed your post. Just tested with the glass off.... and yes, when the VUK fires the lanes are disabled for just a split second. Great memory @LOTR_breath!

Funny thing is, the rest of the time those switches always register, even without the VUK firing first. You can keep pressing them and it just keeps saying "100 more, 100 more, 100 more" until you reach 5000 souls.

#3105 5 years ago

I got lucky yesterday and found a, supposed, HUO Lord of the Rings. It is in just about perfect shape and unmodded, except for a color DMD and some cliffy's. I don't want to use the term "minty," but it looks just about brand new. Supper pumped!

RingFace (resized).jpgRingFace (resized).jpgplayfield (resized).jpgplayfield (resized).jpgshooterlane (resized).jpgshooterlane (resized).jpg
#3106 5 years ago

I still have a few sets of these for sale. PM me if interested.

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “These are brand new custom apron magnets. Very high quality!! Use these to cover up the girls on your LOTR Apron. Please see photos. $24 + $6 shipping. Sorry, magnets are expensive...”
2018-05-09
Howell, MI
24 (Firm)
Archived after: 60 days
Viewed: 260 times

#3107 5 years ago

Pingravings makes custom rule cards for LOTR. I got a set and they look great. There are 2 options for this game. FYI.

#3108 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I got lucky yesterday and found a, supposed, HUO Lord of the Rings. It is in just about perfect shape and unmodded, except for a color DMD and some cliffy's. I don't want to use the term "minty," but it looks just about brand new. Supper pumped!

Thing of beauty! You don't see many like that.

#3109 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Like the red Super Bands on the flippers!

#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from jchybro:

Has anyone experienced a path of the dead issue when the ball quickly pops through lane 1 or 2 and does not register souls? (when this happens it does register souls for lane 3 or 4). Most of the time everything is fine and the souls are counted - it seems to only happen when the ball heads very quickly down lane 1 or 2. Thanks.

Are you sure it's not registering? Looking at screen or listening to call-outs? The call-out doesn't always happen if there's other speech going on.

#3111 5 years ago

Not sure if this worked, so I re-listed. PM me if interested.

Mod - For Sale
New (selling multiple, business) - “These are brand new custom apron magnets. Very high quality!! Use these to cover up the girls on your LOTR Apron. Please see photos. $24 + $6 shipping. Sorry, magnets are expensive...”
2018-09-29
Howell, MI
24 (Firm)
Archived after: 42 days
Viewed: 273 times

#3112 5 years ago

Was about to install Pinball Pro speakers, but the instructions call for the connector on the speakers to be plugged into J10.

J10 is 9 pins, and the speaker connector only has 5.

Any know what to do?

MVIMG_20180708_000735 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180708_000735 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180708_000756 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20180708_000756 (resized).jpg
#3113 5 years ago

Could someone take a good photo of the Legolas ramp for me please, so I can see how it lines up etc thanks.

#3114 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Was about to install Pinball Pro speakers, but the instructions call for the connector on the speakers to be plugged into J10.
J10 is 9 pins, and the speaker connector only has 5.
Any know what to do?

Did you get the wrong kit from Pinball Pro? You may have bought the one for SAM games. You need the one for Whitestar games.

http://pinballpro.net/shop/stern-or-late-sega-swtr-4a/

#3115 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Did you get the wrong kit from Pinball Pro? You may have bought the one for SAM games. You need the one for Whitestar games.
http://pinballpro.net/shop/stern-or-late-sega-swtr-4a/

Nope, the kit should be correct.

Can someone confirm if it's J10, or is there another connector?

I think J10 is on the driver board, so maybe the install video was referring to SAM?

Please help!

#3116 5 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Pingravings makes custom rule cards for LOTR. I got a set and they look great. There are 2 options for this game. FYI.

Thanks for the shout out bane, here are some pictures of my rule cards: The map used in the laser etching is from the original prop map created for the movie trilogy. I made sure they included all the good locations, The Shire, Mt. Doom, The Lonely Mountain, etc.. They attach to the apron with magnet strips on the backside. Finally in a display of super nerdiness, I wanted them to be able to "connect" to create one larger map - so if you ever get a set of these, put the Mordor card on the right!

LOTR-Both (resized).jpgLOTR-Both (resized).jpgLOTR-Combined (resized).jpgLOTR-Combined (resized).jpgLOTR-Magnets (resized).jpgLOTR-Magnets (resized).jpg
#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Could someone take a good photo of the Legolas ramp for me please, so I can see how it lines up etc thanks.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but these should help.

IMG_1534 (resized).JPGIMG_1534 (resized).JPGIMG_1539 (resized).JPGIMG_1539 (resized).JPGIMG_1541 (resized).JPGIMG_1541 (resized).JPG
#3118 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Those are of the Aragorn Sword ramp.......

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Nope, the kit should be correct.
Can someone confirm if it's J10, or is there another connector?
I think J10 is on the driver board, so maybe the install video was referring to SAM?
Please help!

looking over the manual I think it is supposed to connect to CN4 on the soundboard.

Can anyone confirm?

#3120 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

looking over the manual I think it is supposed to connect to CN4 on the soundboard.
Can anyone confirm?

I dont have the instructions, but Cn4 is where mine is plugged into.

#3121 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

He had me for a second or so

#3122 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Designing a couple of home brew games and Zach & Greg reminded me how good the Left/Legolas ramp shot is, trying to get a couple of detailed photos of how the ramp is formed etc

#3123 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Designing a couple of home brew games and Zach & Greg reminded me how good the Left/Legolas ramp shot is, trying to get a couple of detailed photos of how the ramp is formed etc

Yes! My favorite ramp in all of pinball and a perfect shot comes screaming back at you if the game is setup properly. Difficult to get a good pic without disassembly, but hopefully this helps.

81D7BF70-6423-43B2-A1A1-4A36AC24D6F7.jpeg81D7BF70-6423-43B2-A1A1-4A36AC24D6F7.jpeg
#3124 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Yes! My favorite ramp in all of pinball and a perfect shot comes screaming back at you if the game is setup properly. Difficult to get a good pic without disassembly, but hopefully this helps.

Yes, the backwards ramp is one of Gomez's best design features that he has used a couple times.

#3125 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Dang, sorry about that...

IMG_1494 (resized).JPGIMG_1494 (resized).JPGIMG_1498 (resized).JPGIMG_1498 (resized).JPGIMG_1499 (resized).JPGIMG_1499 (resized).JPGIMG_1500 (resized).JPGIMG_1500 (resized).JPGIMG_1501 (resized).JPGIMG_1501 (resized).JPG
#3126 5 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

I dont have the instructions, but Cn4 is where mine is plugged into.

Sweet!

And for the volume control knob, do I actually have to screw it into the header? Would definitely prefer not to.

#3127 5 years ago

OMG...I actually forgot what a great game this is and its been a neglected item in my collection for far too long!

I recently decided to pull out the Lithium batteries and install NVRAM in this game (they have been in there for at least 5 years); I put this off so long as I didn't want to loose all of my game audits as they are original audits from 2003 when I received my NIB machine. Last week I had a bunch of folks over, probably the first time ALL of my machines were being played at the same time, and my neighbor was having problems with the game resetting on him.

This was an easy fix ... if you dont have a meter with a min/max setting get one! First I checked the 5V on the power board, it was 5.04. I then checked the battery test point on the processor board and it was 4.9, a little lower but still okay; I then played game with the meter hooked up and the meter beeped just as the game reset signifying a new max/min reading was stored. Ah ha! The min reading was 4.80, this is my games reset point, wiggling the power connector wires also made this voltage change so I repressed the wires into this connector and play tested the machine....

One play test was all it took and now I'm hooked on LOTR again!

#3128 5 years ago

The quest for Valinor is no more.

It was the best feeling I’ve had getting to a Wizard mode, and I’ve been to some good ones, this was arguably the hardest.
When I knew I had everything lined up my nerves kicked in. I had DTR lit but, I had to finish twin towers multiball, so I back handed the shit out of the right ramp to get 3 sets of KEEP locks and these were mostly shots on the fly, not stalled! You have to be so quick to do this. Finished it and grabbed a gift another gift just to be sure.
DTR time. I’ve been here before, I’ve hit that ball in the ring and drained shortly thereafter, but not this time. I tried not to over think it, balls just hanging in the ring, made the 4 shots good and boom.
Soft plunge to the right flipper and wouldn’t you know, I hit that ring twice, hit the ball again but did not jar it loose.
Regain composure, and this time it was dead eye, pop!
Destroyed and Valinor mode and music begins. My work here is finished.
Amazing game.

#3129 5 years ago

Thanks guys for the Legolas ramp photos, really appreciate those. So it rises out of the playfield during the 180 degree u turn. Thanks again.

#3130 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

It was the best feeling I’ve had getting to a Wizard mode, and I’ve been to some good ones, this was arguably the hardest.
When I knew I had everything lined up my nerves kicked in. I had DTR lit but, I had to finish twin towers multiball, so I back handed the shit out of the right ramp to get 3 sets of KEEP locks and these were mostly shots on the fly, not stalled! You have to be so quick to do this. Finished it and grabbed a gift another gift just to be sure.
DTR time. I’ve been here before, I’ve hit that ball in the ring and drained shortly thereafter, but not this time. I tried not to over think it, balls just hanging in the ring, made the 4 shots good and boom.
Soft plunge to the right flipper and wouldn’t you know, I hit that ring twice, hit the ball again but did not jar it loose.
Amazing game.

Congrats!

I was almost there last week! Had it all lined up, started DTR, hit two of the shots, went for the the third and it came back with a funny bounce and drained out on the left outlane. I was crestfallen! Ended up with a score of 509M which was almost double my previous GC.

Getting that close and failing forced me to take a little break from the game. In the interim, I've installed a ColorDMD, and have some Pinball Pro speakers to put in when I get some time.

I'll try again soon...

#3131 5 years ago

Looking for some tips on adjusting the ring spinner. Is this hanging ideally? Or should it be leaning forward more like "/"

To remove this and adjust the wire as it catches in one position on the microswitch do I just use pliers and bend the smaller section out? Was planning on using some oil on the metal arms to improve spin as well. Any other tips?

IMG_20180710_192239260 (resized).jpgIMG_20180710_192239260 (resized).jpg
#3132 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Looking for some tips on adjusting the ring spinner. Is this hanging ideally? Or should it be leaning forward more like "/"
To remove this and adjust the wire as it catches in one position on the microswitch do I just use pliers and bend the smaller section out? Was planning on using some oil on the metal arms to improve spin as well. Any other tips?

Yes, should lean /

No oil needed. Just bend it so it leans forward.

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from Junglist:

Looking for some tips on adjusting the ring spinner.

As Lermods said, it should definitely lean / in that photo or you will hammer the bottom of it, and lose all momentum on shots going to the ring.

The quick adjustment there is to bend the arms of the spinner forward or back depending on the lean. As a quick explanation, you are just trying to bias how the spinner hangs. Usually that just means a quick bend forward or backward (when looking from the TOP) of the arms. If you bend the arms just a bit towards the ring in that picture, the weight of the spinner itself will move towards the player. So it will start to lean the other way depending on how much you bend it.

I guess it is a lot easier to show that then describe it. If I have time later I'll grab a spinner and show it in pictures.

#3134 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Amazing game.

You should post your achievements in the Valinor Club thread... Now claim your rightful standing with the elite few.

#3135 5 years ago
Quoted from AJB4:

You should post your achievements in the Valinor Club thread... Now claim your rightful standing with the elite few.

didn't someone at some point create a t-shirt for those who reached the Promised Land?

#3136 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

didn't someone at some point create a t-shirt for those who reached the Promised Land?

I'll make a shirt for everyone that doesn't make it to Valinor, waymore potential customers.

#3137 5 years ago

Huhu..
A nice : 'I DID NOT MAKE IT TO VALINOR" shirt.. SUATMM

#3138 5 years ago

Is there too much pinball on the brain when you're washing your hands and think... A gift from the elves!

IMG_20180713_123450 (resized).jpgIMG_20180713_123450 (resized).jpg
#3139 5 years ago

Does anyone besides Pinbits make a Gandalf mount for Shadowfax? I have the "surfing" Gandalf and would like to mount Shadowfax but I don't seem to be seeing anyone selling plastic for that..

#3140 5 years ago

Has anybody here replaced the cabinet decals on their machine? I can only find them at Retro Refurbs and would love to know the quality of the replacements before I order.

#3141 5 years ago

Has anyone installed Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro speakers in their game? Just wondering if the upgrade is worthwhile.

#3142 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Has anyone installed Flipper Fidelity or Pinball Pro speakers in their game? Just wondering if the upgrade is worthwhile.

I’ve put in the FF kit with 10” sub. I would do it again in a heartbeat, as the original cheap speakers are now 15 years old and never were great to start with.i would not do the 10” sub again, had to install it in the low setting as it is and it’s still just a hair too much. Stick with the cheaper 8” cabinet speaker kit.

#3143 5 years ago

I can't comment on before/after since mine came with the FF kit w/ 8" woofer installed, but I can say that it does sound good.

I enjoy being able to crank up the sound and bring out the subsonic tones that have me looking over my shoulder when I'm playing alone on those late nights. The included tone control with the FF kits is a nice feature as well.

#3144 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

Does anyone besides Pinbits make a Gandalf mount for Shadowfax? I have the "surfing" Gandalf and would like to mount Shadowfax but I don't seem to be seeing anyone selling plastic for that..

Please let me know if you find this as well. I'm looking for one.

Quoted from ruzeo:

Has anybody here replaced the cabinet decals on their machine? I can only find them at Retro Refurbs and would love to know the quality of the replacements before I order.

If you find a good source for this please update us. The left side of my blackbox is scuffed.

#3145 5 years ago

Just curious to know what pegs setting was default for the outlane post?

Mine was on the bottom (easiest) when I got the game, but I've moved it to the middle.

When I watch the PAPA Vlainor tutorial, the peg is also on the bottom like mine was initially, so I have no clue.

#3146 5 years ago

Hey LOTR'ers!

To anybody that has made a Balrog topper using the votive... please can you tell me what you mounted it on? Also how did you secure it up there?

I was going to secure everything to some painted plywood and then screw it to the backbox, but didn't really want to use screws to make it fully reversible.

Thanks!

#3147 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I put in Flipper Fidelity in my LOTR. It was well worth it. You can hear more things now. Some stuff was hard to hear before.

#3148 5 years ago

I also have the 8" woofer. That is a good choice.

#3149 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I have it in my X-Men le and honestly can't tell the difference.

#3150 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Just curious to know what pegs setting was default for the outlane post?
Mine was on the bottom (easiest) when I got the game, but I've moved it to the middle.
When I watch the PAPA Vlainor tutorial, the peg is also on the bottom like mine was initially, so I have no clue.

Anyone?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 39.50
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,197 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.