IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,197 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 204.
#2901 5 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Lighting the Palantir and then collecting it via the Mystery award will usually (but not always) add-a-ball in the three movie multiballs. (To light Palantir, shoot the left orbit to reach the Barad-dur tower on the upper right corner of the playfield, and to collect Palantir, simply hit the white target below the globe next to the right VUK, a/k/a Gollum's Cave.)

Anyone know how many shots roughly need to be made in TTT and ROTK?

#2902 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone know how many shots roughly need to be made in TTT and ROTK?

ROTK is seven sets of the four lit shots. Completed sets carry over for each time you get to ROTK but partially made sets do not carry over.

#2903 5 years ago

Is there a manual specific to the LE or is there just one manual for both versions?

#2904 5 years ago

Heads up to all those on my list that ordered the Mt.Doom mod; they all have shipped! If you haven’t already received your mod, look for it to arrive soon.

Man, that sure was fun designing something sweet for LotR - looking forward to my next mod for this pin. Thanks for all the really great feedback I received from many of you. Pinside has a great, passionate community for mod makers

For those that didn’t make the list - you can buy it here on Pinside or my website starting today!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1139-pinworlds/01650-lighted-volcano-mod-for-mt-doom-lord-of-the-rings-pinball

https://www.pinworlds.com/lotr-volcano-mod

NEW VS OLD2 (resized).jpgNEW VS OLD2 (resized).jpg

#2905 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Well, that is certainly interesting. It happens to me, but only during Fellowship. What’s the fix?
Edit - Looks like replacements can be had for $30. I will tinker with them then replace if need be.
Thanks!

If you have the cave troll feature on you get ball saves during that, but not once the normal multiball/balrog shows up.

#2906 5 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

If you have the cave troll feature on you get ball saves during that, but not once the normal multiball/balrog shows up.

Good point. Cave trolls is the initial intro part of fellowship if you have it turned on in the settings, and it is merely a "points grab mode" where the ball is constantly saved until the Fellowship multiball actually starts.

#2907 5 years ago

Hey guys, I think my opto boards are busted lol:

4EC2A306-21C2-4DF3-AD4D-8D285679B74A (resized).jpeg4EC2A306-21C2-4DF3-AD4D-8D285679B74A (resized).jpeg

#2908 5 years ago

There’s definitely something off for me, more seriously. Sometimes the “Shoot Again” light flashes for a minute during multiball, sometimes not really at all. Sometimes balls kick back out even when it isn’t flashing. I dunno. I took them out and cleaned to no avail, I will replace next.

If that’s not it, any ideas?

#2909 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

Hey guys, I think my opto boards are busted lol:

How the hell did you put that score up???

I played almost an hour the other day and ended up with 305M!

#2910 5 years ago

Mmmmmm yes

I still haven’t played a game but damn it really makes the back pop

045E3943-C65D-4689-A544-8DF49DC77504 (resized).jpeg045E3943-C65D-4689-A544-8DF49DC77504 (resized).jpeg

#2911 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

How the hell did you put that score up???
I played almost an hour the other day and ended up with 305M!

I got to Valinor and the balls kept popping back up so I played Valinor for 15 minutes lol.

Then I played again right after and everything functioned normally. I dunno...

#2912 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Mmmmmm yes
I still haven’t played a game but damn it really makes the back pop

That really does look nice! I just got my game and can't wait to get one

#2913 5 years ago
Quoted from FlipsMcgee:

I got to Valinor and the balls kept popping back up so I played Valinor for 15 minutes lol.
Then I played again right after and everything functioned normally. I dunno...

Weird. Regardless, congrats on getting to Valinor!

Wondering if anyone can help... My right flipper keeps getting stuck in the up position.

With most games, I'd normally just go in and check the coil sleeve or flipper for binding. But I know LOTR has issues with overheating.

Does this sound like it's the coil? Seems to only happen on the right.

#2914 5 years ago

Check the return spring? Maybe it’s broken. Does it get stuck up there with the machine off and you move it manually?

Maybe a transistor blown? I can’t remeber my exact symptoms, but seems like it was something similar. Maybe a transistor being blown would be the effect rather than the cause.

#2915 5 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Check the return spring? Maybe it’s broken. Does it get stuck up there with the machine off and you move it manually?
Maybe a transistor blown? I can’t remeber my exact symptoms, but seems like it was something similar. Maybe a transistor being blown would be the effect rather than the cause.

Will check it out over the weekend.

Was looking to replace the flippers switches and sling switches. Manual shows that there are two switches:

180-5164-00
180-5160-00

Anyone know why there are two different? Can't seem to find 180-5160-00 on Pinball Life.

Also, for the slings, do I just need 4 of these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1033

I thought I saw a diode connected to one on each side.

Anyone?

#2916 5 years ago

Did a little more digging.. Is this the switch I need for both flippers?

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=153

#2917 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Wondering if anyone can help... My right flipper keeps getting stuck in the up position.

With most games, I'd normally just go in and check the coil sleeve or flipper for binding. But I know LOTR has issues with overheating.

This is likely mechanical, when its stuck up, remove the glass and push it down, if it falls its mechanical, if it stays up, or if you can feel it pushing back its electrical.

#2918 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Anyone know why there are two different? Can't seem to find 180-5160-00 on Pinball Life.

180-5164-00 is a double stack switch used for upper and lower flippers...this switch wasn't used on LOTR which is why the manual shows a qty. of 0

EDIT: Hmmm seems there is an error in the manual here as it shows the right flipper switch being both 23A and 23B ... now I have no idea what switch was actually used.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2919 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is likely mechanical, when its stuck up, remove the glass and push it down, if it falls its mechanical, if it stays up, or if you can feel it pushing back its electrical.

I'm thinking first it could be a broken flipper button. I sometimes hit my buttons very spiritedly, and I'm starting to remember this might have also happened to my MMR.

I just looked now, and the right button looks a little more resessed than the left.

#2920 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

I'm thinking first it could be a broken flipper button. I sometimes hit my buttons very spiritedly, and I'm starting to remember this might have also happened to my MMR.

I just looked now, and the right button looks a little more resessed than the left.

If that's the case, and the switch is sticking closed, you should be able to just bend it so that it works properly. This is really no different than adjusting the leaf switches for your slingshots.

#2921 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

If that's the case, and the switch is sticking closed, you should be able to just bend it so that it works properly. This is really no different than adjusting the leaf switches for your slingshots.

Thinking the button might be the issue. If it's locking up and not coming back out fully, it could be closing the switch and thus having the flipper stick in the up position.

I should have an extra button around, and will try swapping them out when I get some time this evening.

#2922 5 years ago

Can anyone tell me if these are stock coils?

IMG_20180520_225604 (resized).jpgIMG_20180520_225604 (resized).jpg

#2923 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Those look like the "Upgraded" coils i have in my lotr. They weren't a problem until i put in two new flipper rebuild kits. Now i call those coils the plastic breakers. I've replaced the inner ring plastic twice now since i did the rebuild.

#2924 5 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Those look like the "Upgraded" coils i have in my lotr. They weren't a problem until i put in two new flipper rebuild kits. Now i call those coils the plastic breakers. I've replaced the inner ring plastic twice now since i did the rebuild.

Agreed, those are the upgraded ones from PinballLife. Had them in my machine for a day before I ordered the ones sold here on Pinside by APB. The PBL coils are way to powerful, the APB are pin the just right category: more power without being too powerful and they don't overheat under heavy use.

Here is the link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

#2925 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

My right flipper keeps getting stuck in the up position.

Have you checked it in the switch test mode? See if it ever stays 'on' there.

#2926 5 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Have you checked it in the switch test mode? See if it ever stays 'on' there.

Switched out the flipper button last night, and it works perfectly. Looks like the spring might have popped inside. Switch looks perfectly fine, and played my best game after installing it!

Got all gifts, all MBs completed, and TABA. Just had to start up Two Tower again, and it would have been only DTR left to do! Soooooo close!

#2927 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Agreed, those are the upgraded ones from PinballLife. Had them in my machine for a day before I ordered the ones sold here on Pinside by APB. The PBL coils are way to powerful, the APB are pin the just right category: more power without being too powerful and they don't overheat under heavy use.
Here is the link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

You guys sure? The ones on PBL have "LOTR" labelled on them, unless these are older ones.

Either way, I bought a set from APB, so I'll see how those work out.

#2928 5 years ago

So a huge tree landed on my house during the Tornado this week right on top of my gameroom. Took forever to get everything out of there but I finally got the machine to my parents house that has power and was able to boot up LOTR with no problems at all. https://imgur.com/a/mPEtmSR

So then I cleaned the getway up, brought it inside and set it up and she wont boot. Checked all the fuses and the glass is broken on the 8amp fuse near coin door power supply. I replaced it when I got home today and still doesn't do anything, rest of the fuses look good but I am worried that it could have been a power surge before hand since the tree ripped the power from our house.

The 6 leds on the driver board are all lighting up but I am getting a solid red for d19 and d21 but d20 is never turning over. It looks like the game wants to boot with the dmd right when you turn it on but its just a microsecond and its gone, just making a wierd static noise when trying to boot.

Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated this is the only valuable from my house I care about.

edit * - woops meant to post this on getaway forum page, please disregard

#2929 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

So a huge tree landed on my house during the Tornado this week right on top of my gameroom. Took forever to get everything out of there but I finally got the machine to my parents house that has power and was able to boot up LOTR with no problems at all. https://imgur.com/a/mPEtmSR
So then I cleaned the getway up, brought it inside and set it up and she wont boot. Checked all the fuses and the glass is broken on the 8amp fuse near coin door power supply. I replaced it when I got home today and still doesn't do anything, rest of the fuses look good but I am worried that it could have been a power surge before hand since the tree ripped the power from our house.
The 6 leds on the driver board are all lighting up but I am getting a solid red for d19 and d21 but d20 is never turning over. It looks like the game wants to boot with the dmd right when you turn it on but its just a microsecond and its gone, just making a wierd static noise when trying to boot.
Any help on where to start would be greatly appreciated this is the only valuable from my house I care about.

Ouch. That's a big tree. Hopefully your insurance is taking care of everything. Pinball isn't as much fun without a roof over your head

#2930 5 years ago

Wow, that is a big Oak tree. Hope you can get things back together quickly.

#2931 5 years ago
Quoted from ruzeo:

You should probably be posting over in the Twister forum! Sorry, couldn’t resist... I’ll see myself out.

#2932 5 years ago

Thanks everyone, at least I am still in the club.

Quoted from Pinzap:

You should probably be posting over in the Twister forum! Sorry, couldn’t resist... I’ll see myself out.

I have money for another machine and it had already crossed my mind if you have a lead on one lol

#2933 5 years ago

I would go for a Whirlwind over a Twister..

#2934 5 years ago

I’m doing the tests before mounting it.

4D0B9738-157E-4CC0-AC0D-81C6DE76A953 (resized).jpeg4D0B9738-157E-4CC0-AC0D-81C6DE76A953 (resized).jpeg

I grabbed 3 of them at Pinfest. My LOTR hadn’t been setup in a while, so now it’s time! The one I stuck in BSD is amazing, so LOTR was next. This install is a tiny bit more involved than WPC, plus I still need to move other mods to fit it in the backbox. But I’m very excited to see how this sounds.

#2935 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I’m doing the tests before mounting it.

I grabbed 3 of them at Pinfest. My LOTR hadn’t been setup in a while, so now it’s time! The one I stuck in BSD is amazing, so LOTR was next. This install is a tiny bit more involved than WPC, plus I still need to move other mods to fit it in the backbox. But I’m very excited to see how this sounds.

Please post a video when you get it set up. Curious to see how it sounds.

#2936 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

Please post a video when you get it set up. Curious to see how it sounds.

The music is fantastic sounding, but the call outs have to be the old ones, so they still sound compressed.

#2938 5 years ago

Ohh ya be nice to have links to certain mixes

#2939 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

You guys sure? The ones on PBL have "LOTR" labelled on them, unless these are older ones.

Either way, I bought a set from APB, so I'll see how those work out.

This is an original NOS coil purchased by me, from my distributor, back in 2003 ...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2940 5 years ago
Quoted from Damien:

yes they are.

#2941 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

This is an original NOS coil purchased by me, from my distributor, back in 2003 ...

Ahhhhhhh, there we go! So then I have the stock coils?

The PBL ones looks the same right, except the label says LOTR?

I ordered the medium strength ones, so interested to see how that will improve gameplay.

I haven't noticed the coils dropping a lot of power. Maybe it's a little tough to make it into the ring at times, but never to the point that I can't make it after a couple of attempts.

#2942 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ohh ya be nice to have links to certain mixes

link is in the first lines of the webpage
https://www.mediafire.com/file/qqnsy2l5ih3dbgl/LOTR_Woolmix_+v1.rar

#2943 5 years ago

I mean gameplay video with the audio

#2944 5 years ago

Can someone tell me what bulbs were in the four spots for the path of the dead? Were they Green Incandescent's, Green LED's, Regular bulbs with Green Condoms? Something else? Same question for the ones for the modes above the center ring shot. Oh, and were they the same with the LE as with the Standard edition? Thanks, Dave

#2945 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsOnly:

Can someone tell me what bulbs were in the four spots for the path of the dead? Were they Green Incandescent's, Green LED's, Regular bulbs with Green Condoms? Something else? Same question for the ones for the modes above the center ring shot. Oh, and were they the same with the LE as with the Standard edition? Thanks, Dave

I'm 99% sure these were originally green-colored incandescent bulbs. My HUO had these installed, and that's what is called out in the manual.

#2946 5 years ago
Quoted from PinsOnly:

All incandescent: green for the path of the dead, clear for the ring modes, and the flasher above the sword ramp should be a red incandescent flasher. These are usually available at pinballlife but the red flasher is out of stock.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=44

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-0906R

#2947 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

» YouTube video
The music is fantastic sounding, but the call outs have to be the old ones, so they still sound compressed.

The mix in this video sounds like the OST mix which is a serious upgrade to the music. The Wool Mix is very good and takes it to the next level. The Wool has eliminated some of the more repetitive callouts, however, where they are kept in, for the most part, they are still the original legacy callouts.

With the pinsound+ board I get varying volume levels which I have communicated to The Wool, who has been responsive, so kudos to him. Also, I have communicated this to Nicolas at Pinsound and he informs me that a new version of the Pinsound studio is coming out soon that will help with leveling.

I have logged many hours (30+) on my own mix, so far so good, getting closer. I do have in my mind to upgrade all the callouts, however, I would like to see what the new pinsound studio can provide. I have toyed with 'remastering' the original callouts with Audacity but this is a one by one approach, is time consuming and I have had mixed results to this point. I did also discuss batch normalizing all the files with Nicolas and he did not recommend this, most likely due to the fact that some sounds should be lower or higher, not totally sure.

#2948 5 years ago

Loving the mount doom mod. Took 10 min to install. Caught an action photo for y’all.

02284822-9FDF-4F9C-A200-9CD3F7040381 (resized).jpeg02284822-9FDF-4F9C-A200-9CD3F7040381 (resized).jpeg

82D5EAA9-B3ED-4F0A-AD3F-3CA80498079F (resized).jpeg82D5EAA9-B3ED-4F0A-AD3F-3CA80498079F (resized).jpeg

#2949 5 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

The mix in this video sounds like the OST mix which is a serious upgrade to the music. The Wool Mix is very good and takes it to the next level. The Wool has eliminated some of the more repetitive callouts, however, where they are kept in, for the most part, they are still the original legacy callouts.
With the pinsound+ board I get varying volume levels which I have communicated to The Wool, who has been responsive, so kudos to him. Also, I have communicated this to Nicolas at Pinsound and he informs me that a new version of the Pinsound studio is coming out soon that will help with leveling.
I have logged many hours (30+) on my own mix, so far so good, getting closer. I do have in my mind to upgrade all the callouts, however, I would like to see what the new pinsound studio can provide. I have toyed with 'remastering' the original callouts with Audacity but this is a one by one approach, is time consuming and I have had mixed results to this point. I did also discuss batch normalizing all the files with Nicolas and he did not recommend this, most likely due to the fact that some sounds should be lower or higher, not totally sure.

Ya, the sound mods people have done have been giant labors of love. It takes hours to edit our podcast which is a couple hours of one file, I can’t imagine having to sift through and edit sound files for a game. I was wanting to redo tron but I don’t have time :/

I’m super sad we have such bad sound clips from the game itself. It would be nice if somehow pinsound could partner with stern for a paid licensed release of a original upgrade, no compression sound pack. I mean id pay $100 for that. But that is up to them....sounds like a good question to ask though.....

#2950 5 years ago

To all people playing with pinsound studio, do you know if the standard pinsound board allows no to drive a shaker via the extension port ?
Would be good to have more shaking opportunities than just Balrog..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 39.50
$ 18.95
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
$ 25.00
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,197 posts in this topic. You are on page 59 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/59?hl=aukraut and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.