IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240315-080458 (resized).png
IMG_8433.jpeg
IMG_2627 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,135 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 203.
#2501 6 years ago

You can use shipito..

#2502 6 years ago

When you guys change out the coils are you just doing the flipper coils or the vuk and others too?

#2503 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

When you guys change out the coils are you just doing the flipper coils or the vuk and others too?

Usually flippers only during a rebuild, unless a problem exists on the coil in question.

#2504 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

If you are referring to people installing the apb enterprise coils, just for the flippers. Deal is that a lot of people had trouble with original coils weakening over length of the game. So a lot of people installed the PBL coils which do not weaken but some find too powerful for the plastics, ball flying off ramp, etc. the apb ones are kind of in the middle of the 2. Don't weaken but not too powerful.

#2505 6 years ago

How do you remove the Balrog figure to change the bulb in there? I removed the two screws (one on either side) and it looks like that's all that's holding it to the mech but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I can pull it forward and partially expose the bulb socket but it doesn't want to come all the way off. I'm just scared I'm going to f*** it up. What am I missing?

#2506 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

How do you remove the Balrog figure to change the bulb in there? I removed the two screws (one on either side) and it looks like that's all that's holding it to the mech but it doesn't seem to want to come off. I can pull it forward and partially expose the bulb socket but it doesn't want to come all the way off. I'm just scared I'm going to f*** it up. What am I missing?

The manual really helps here so you can see how it goes together. I usually pull the mech after disconnecting the wires and then there’s a metal cover if I remember right with more screws holding the molded figure on. Someone will chime in, or check the manual

#2507 6 years ago

Just joined the club! For anyone who has installed Wool's pinsound file, do I just drag the .rar file onto the thumb drive and drop it in the board? On my other machines with pinsound, i've always dropped in zip files, ever .rar.

I'm sure this question has been covered but can't seem to find it on this thread.

#2508 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

The manual really helps here so you can see how it goes together. I usually pull the mech after disconnecting the wires and then there’s a metal cover if I remember right with more screws holding the molded figure on. Someone will chime in, or check the manual

Thanks, I'll do that. I was hoping I didn't have to take the whole thing out.

#2509 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Thanks, I'll do that. I was hoping I didn't have to take the whole thing out.

Really nothing to it. One connector under the playfield, a couple of screws and spacers, and up he comes. Be sure to take plenty of pictures to remember which spacer/screw/nut goes where, otherwise you'll have Balrog scraping a divot in the playfield.

Other thing is it may not be a bad bulb inside him, it may be a broken wire inside the Balrog cable......

#2510 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Just joined the club! For anyone who has installed Wool's pinsound file, do I just drag the .rar file onto the thumb drive and drop it in the board? On my other machines with pinsound, i've always dropped in zip files, ever .rar.
I'm sure this question has been covered but can't seem to find it on this thread.

I personally have always used pinsound studio to get my files setup before I plug the USB drive into my machine. Less chance of it failing to unpack properly, and you get to play right away.

#2511 6 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I personally have always used pinsound studio to get my files setup before I plug the USB drive into my machine. Less chance of it failing to unpack properly, and you get to play right away.

Thanks, unfortunately I'm running off MAC which I believe studio isn't compatible with. Will the pinsound board unpack the rar file?

#2512 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Thanks, unfortunately I'm running off MAC which I believe studio isn't compatible with. Will the pinsound board unpack the rar file?

If I remember right, that rar file is the unpacked version. It saves a ton of time vs. Having the board unzip it. It's a huge file right? If so, yeah just drop it on there and plug in the usb

#2513 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

If I remember right, that rar file is the unpacked version. It saves a ton of time vs. Having the board unzip it. It's a huge file right? If so, yeah just drop it on there and plug in the usb

I believe the Woolmix is already in .wav format. But when you guys say 'drop it on there', you do mean 'extract the files from the .rar archive' right?

#2514 6 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

I believe the Woolmix is already in .wav format. But when you guys say 'drop it on there', you do mean 'extract the files from the .rar archive' right?

I'll check my computer when I get home. I believe I just downloaded his file, created a folder called audio on my usb drive, and then put that file in there. No unzipping. If that's not right the pinsound will tell you no file found

#2515 6 years ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

The file name of the wool mix that i downloaded is LOTR_Woolmix_ v1.rar

Perhaps was using the wrong link?

#2516 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

The file name of the wool mix that i downloaded is LOTR_Woolmix_ v1.rar
Perhaps was using the wrong link?

If my memory serves me correctly, I uncompressed the .rar file and just had the files and folders on the memory stick. Pinsound web page had info on the right file structure also

#2517 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

If my memory serves me correctly, I uncompressed the .rar file and just had the files and folders on the memory stick. Pinsound web page had info on the right file structure also

This is what I did as well.

#2518 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

Uncompressed the file, labeled the folder AUDIO, insert the USB drive but when I fire it up pinsound tells me there is no audio files on flash drive. errrrgggg. Any thoughts? I'll check pinsound support

UPDATE: Following Pinsound's help page and got the correct folder structure. Still get "There are no audio files" Is it possible I may have installed the board incorrectly even if I'm getting this error message?

UPDATE 2: Continue to play with file/folder structure and got it working. Can't tell you exactly what I was doing wrong or how it got fixed, but happy to be up and running!

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.19.20 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-03-01 at 4.19.20 PM (resized).png

#2519 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Uncompressed the file, labeled the folder AUDIO, insert the USB drive but when I fire it up pinsound tells me there is no audio files on flash drive. errrrgggg. Any thoughts? I'll check pinsound support
UPDATE: Following Pinsound's help page and got the correct folder structure. Still get "There are no audio files" Is it possible I may have installed the board incorrectly even if I'm getting this error message?
UPDATE 2: Continue to play with file/folder structure and got it working. Can't tell you exactly what I was doing wrong or how it got fixed, but happy to be up and running!

Have you updated your Pinsound to the latest firmware version? If not try that.

#2520 6 years ago

Question about pinsound.
When you boot the piball, is it working directly, as the classical stern board, or is there a delay for the pinsound to initialize?
That's a point that would distinguish pinsound and raspisound for me, as the latter one has a 20 sec boot delay..

#2521 6 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Question about pinsound.
When you boot the piball, is it working directly, as the classical stern board, or is there a delay for the pinsound to initialize?
That's a point that would distinguish pinsound and raspisound for me, as the latter one has a 20 sec boot delay..

Pinsound takes at least 10s for the first generation to boot up. Idk about their new version. Much slower than stock

#2522 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Pinsound takes at least 10s for the first generation to boot up. Idk about their new version. Much slower than stock

It's worth the wait!!

#2523 6 years ago

Did not want to hijack the thread, but just got Silly Old Elf's Side Art Blades for LOTR.

Fantastic quality and artwork! I highly recommend them to anyone looking to dress up their cabinet sides!

Hijack over...

#2524 6 years ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Did not want to hijack the thread, but just got Silly Old Elf's Side Art Blades for LOTR.
Fantastic quality and artwork! I highly recommend them to anyone looking to dress up their cabinet sides!
Hijack over...

Pictures please

#2525 6 years ago

Can anyone suggest a good LOTR video tutorial for this noob?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2526 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Good question. I just googled you tube, one was decent but the person had a hard time getting though the game.

The other was about getting to Vallinor I think I watched half of that. Otherwise I googled questions like how to start a mode and what is There and Back etc.

I'm new also maybe had the game about 2 weeks. I've also read though the first 15 pages of this thread and eventually will read it all.

#2527 6 years ago

The basic rules, like how to start the multi balls and destroy the ring are easy to get but the path to Valinor is long and not easy to achieve. More on rules can be found eg http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt

#2528 6 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

The basic rules, like how to start the multi balls and destroy the ring are easy to get but the path to Valinor is long and not easy to achieve. More on rules can be found eg http://pinball.org/rules/lordoftherings.txt

Super helpful, thanks!

#2529 6 years ago

I'm running 3 LEDs for a Path of the Dead Mod. Going to wire to the 1-2-3-4 POTD lights.
LEDs are 3G 7" pre-wired - 12V applications.

The description says they have built-in resistors and says Input Voltage is 9-16 Vdc.

Do still need to use my own resistors even if the LEDs say "built-in resistors"? I have 100 Ohm Resistors, 1/4 W, 5% tolerance. Where do I attach these? + (red) or - (Black)?

Do I need to use Diodes? I have N4004 Diodes that are rated for 400V DC at 1A. And, do I attach to + (red) wires for each light?

thank you!!!

#2530 6 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Here ya go.

#2531 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

I'm running 3 LEDs for a Path of the Dead Mod. Going to wire to the 1-2-3-4 POTD lights.
LEDs are 3G 7" pre-wired - 12V applications.
The description says they have built-in resistors and says Input Voltage is 9-16 Vdc.
Do still need to use my own resistors even if the LEDs say "built-in resistors"? I have 100 Ohm Resistors, 1/4 W, 5% tolerance. Where do I attach these? + (red) or - (Black)?
Do I need to use Diodes? I have N4004 Diodes that are rated for 400V DC at 1A. And, do I attach to + (red) wires for each light?
thank you!!!

I used the following LED post lights for my Dead army without using resistors:

http://www.cometpinball.com/4-SMD-6-3V-LIGHTED-POST-LIGHT-p/mtxpost.htm

If you look at the installation instructions for this kit it should give you the basic idea of how and where to include the diodes:

https://www.pinballbulbs.com/installs/lord-rings-army-dead-install

#2532 6 years ago

Ok guys, will need some wisdom here.
My dad was playing on LOTR, and after one hour, shire VUK became ultra weak, not even able to throw the ball.
Then, nothing else worked.
I shutdown then restart. F21 blow.
I had a spare fuse, installed it, It worked again on coil test, but when the game was launched, suddenly blew again with a nice smoke coming from under the playfield.
Bottom bumper coil just burnt and fuse down !

As i was suspecting tranfo or diode dead on this one, i just cut the wires of this dead coil, and restart.
No more fuse blown, but coils 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11(obviously, as i cut this one) are not responding at all. all other ones are ok, flippers, flasher, slingshots..

What could be a root cause of all these coils to be out ? I've got my 50V, F21 fuse is ok..
can it be a simultaneous kill of 5 transistors ??

any help appreciated, i will for now just take the cards out and check them, but i wonder if there might be a common component or wire to check in addition.

thanks

#2533 6 years ago

Just take that bumper coil out of circuit. You want to temporarily remove the single wire. If you cut the daisy chained double wire, you will take out all coils downstream.

Most likely you need to repkace the coil and the corresponding tip102 transistor on the driver board. The manual will tell you what transistor number.

(Sorry answered on phone and forgot to quote previous post.)

Michael

#2534 6 years ago

Rejoining the club. This time a cc machine. Looking for the best topper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

#2535 6 years ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

Just take that bumper coil out of circuit. You want to temporarily remove the single wire. If you cut the daisy chained double wire, you will take out all cooks downstream.

Michael

Thanks, i did that already, but keeping the wires altogether, so i am wondering how it is possible that 4 coils are down in addition to the burnt one..

#2536 6 years ago

Some additional testing..
My Yel-Vio wire is not good.
I have two distinct circuits with the same wire

Coils 1, 3, 4 and 5
and
Coils 2, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11

are supposed to be all on the same 50v line, and that's not the case.
I've spent 30 minutes looking after the location of the possible connection between these two loops without success.
Any help appreciated, as i don't want to do a dirty bridge between coils 1 and 2..

EDIT: NOOB ERROR.. These two circuits arz connected at the j10 driver level.
Driver board reinstalled. Circuits are connected..

EDIT 2: i've got 76 VDC on my 50V, is it acceptable ??

#2537 6 years ago

The finishing touch: sillyoldelf's art blades for my LOTR!!

IMG_5939.JPGIMG_5939.JPG
IMG_5940.JPGIMG_5940.JPG

Here is the list of things done since the day I bought her last July 4th:

Repairs
Power Driver Board repair - Done
Ring Mode Opto - Done
Diverter adjustment - Done
Translite lift channel - Done
Replace Backbox lock - Done
Replace Ring plastic - Done
Replace Tiltbob - Done
Replace Palantir Target - Done
Flatten playfield plastic - Done
Replace yellow dome - Done
New Ball Trough - Done
Clean and polish playfield - Done
Refinish metal lane guides - Done

Mods
Cliffys Protectors - Done
Titan Silicone Rings -Done
LEDs - Done
LEDOCD - Done
LED GIZmo - Done
NVRAM - Done
Pinbits Plastic Protecters - Done
Arwen protector - Done
Path of the Dead Arwen Diverter - Done
Flipper Coil upgrade - Done
Ring cone plastic - Done
Ring Ramp Post Kit - Done
Army of the Dead - Done
Target Decals - Done
Sword Tip Decal - Done
Habitrail Guide Mod - Done
Missing Gimli, Legolas, Boromir - Done
Solid Lock bar and Lollipops - Done
Black T-Molding - Done
Palantir Mod - Done
ColorDMD - Done
Invisiglass - Done
Flipper Fidelity Speakers - Done
Speaker Ring and Lights - Done
Backbox LEDs - Done
Backbox Flasher - Done
Spare Driver Board - Done
Side blades - Done

Well, almost done, been thinking about Pinsound........LOL!!!

#2538 6 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Rejoining the club. This time a cc machine. Looking for the best topper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mike

This one appears to still be available. http://www.tilttopper.com/lord-of-the-rings.html
The Mckee topper has long been sold out but you might be a able to find somebody selling one.

#2539 6 years ago

Add links and pin this to the top!

Quoted from AUKraut:

Repairs
Ring Mode Opto - Done
Replace Tiltbob - Done
New Ball Trough - Done
Mods
LEDs - Done
LEDOCD - Done
LED GIZmo - Done
Arwen protector - Done
Ring cone plastic - Done
Army of the Dead - Done
Target Decals - Done
Sword Tip Decal - Done
Black T-Molding - Done
Palantir Mod - Done
ColorDMD - Done
Invisiglass - Done
Backbox LEDs - Done
Backbox Flasher - Done
Side blades - Done
Well, almost done, been thinking about Pinsound........LWell that covers every possible thing
Add links and pin this post!

Repairs
Ring Mode Opto - Done
Replace Tiltbob - Done
New Ball Trough - Done
Mods
LEDs - Done
LEDOCD - Done
LED GIZmo - Done
Arwen protector - Done
Ring cone plastic - Done
Army of the Dead - Done
Target Decals - Done
Sword Tip Decal - Done
Black T-Molding - Done
Palantir Mod - Done
ColorDMD - Done
Invisiglass - Done
Backbox LEDs - Done
Backbox Flasher - Done
Side blades - Done

#2540 6 years ago
Quoted from jorge5240:

Never heard of a cc machine?

#2542 6 years ago
Quoted from Delta9:

Never heard of a cc machine?

I'm thinking he meant cq for collector's quality. Unless he meant clear coated pf......

#2543 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I'm thinking he meant cq for collector's quality. Unless he meant clear coated pf......

Yes my mistake

#2544 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Repairs
Ring Mode Opto - Done
Replace Tiltbob - Done
New Ball Trough - Done
Mods
LEDs - Done
LEDOCD - Done
LED GIZmo - Done
NVRAM - Done
Arwen protector - Done
Ring cone plastic - Done
Army of the Dead - Done
Target Decals - Done
Sword Tip Decal - Done
Black T-Molding - Done
Palantir Mod - Done
ColorDMD - Done
Invisiglass - Done
Backbox LEDs - Done
Backbox Flasher - Done
Side blades - Done

Looking good. Gimli, Legolas & Boromir were not included in any LOTR pin, they are mods. You may consider a Sauron figure in the back right. The Uruk Hai back there bothered me because they are not part of Barad Dur but rather Orthanc.

87367D7C-E40E-4F7D-83DA-B83372EDFE59 (resized).jpeg87367D7C-E40E-4F7D-83DA-B83372EDFE59 (resized).jpeg

#2545 6 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I see

No worries i just couldn’t figure it out I recently picked up a lotr myself haven to put a lot of hours into it full shop job and a few mods cant wait to fully get it done

#2546 6 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Looking good. Gimli, Legolas & Boromir were not included in any LOTR pin, they are mods. You may consider a Sauron figure in the back right. The Uruk Hai back there bothered me because they are not part of Barad Dur but rather Orthanc.

Correct, that's why I have them in the Mod list, since they were missing from the figures included by Stern...

Hadn't considered Sauron, may do that swap.....

#2547 6 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Correct, that's why I have them in the Mod list, since they were missing from the figures included by Stern...
Hadn't considered Sauron, may do that swap.....

Gotcha. I moved that Uruk Hai at Barad Dur down near the shooter lane as he was better IMO than the other one with no sword.

Replaced my Shire Y switch today as the metal/plastic broke off last night. Also added some foam to the bottom of Orthanc on either side. There was a small piece of foam in the middle, took that off as the ball never really hit it & the outsides of the bottom front are what get slammed with the ball bouncing off from the flipper shots when open.

#2548 6 years ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

This post here is very close, with links:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-mods-2#post-2741667

#2549 6 years ago

OK, I need some help please. I replaced my Shire Y switch with a new switch because the metal Y broke off. I was attempting to adjust the old switch as it was not responding. The new switch worked fine for a couple games and then no response. I fiddled with it a little then got some intermittent response and now back to nothing. Bad switch or something else and if so what? I reseated the closest connector as well.

#2550 6 years ago

I'd check the solder joints on your new switch. Maybe you have a cold spot or the connection is bad.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 39.50
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
There are 10,135 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/51?hl=hawknole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.