Topic Stats

• 5,267 posts
  • 484 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by RGAires
  • Topic is favorited by 254 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,108 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20191110_095309 (resized).jpg
20190818_094127 (resized).jpg
9e38f6758f237db887b73f3b14d36a4fa9cbc097 (resized).jpg
20191105_194633 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191102_005114 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191030_195522 (resized).jpg
398FDFA5-3D41-428C-9016-362CC0F5F3C6 (resized).jpeg
20191030_174557 (resized).jpg
2019-10-25 23.18.55 (resized).jpg
2019-10-24 15.32.25 (resized).jpg
2019-10-24 15.31.51 (resized).jpg
20191028_192132 (resized).jpg
LOTR2.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5267 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 106.
#2351 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

LOTR is my favorite pin and I love the shaker I added. Some pins do not benefit from it but I think LOTR is one to have it. My Stern ST and LAH have shakers also.

How did you add it? Do you have an LE or was this the special PAL ROM setup? I’ve heard both sides - it’sa must-have, and it’s a dog and barely turns on...

#2352 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How did you add it? Do you have an LE or was this the special PAL ROM setup? I’ve heard both sides - it’sa must-have, and it’s a dog and barely turns on...

You add the pal and 10.02 ROM. I like it. It seems to fire the 'right' amount.
The only downside I've noticed is if you have a bad first ball, game-restart doesn't work (after adding this mod).

#2353 1 year ago

I love the shaker. If I played one without now I bet I would say it sucks....once you have it you forget when it comes on because it is normal...

#2354 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have the standard version. I got the shaker motor from Pinball Life, PBL-100-0019-00, 10.02 PAL chip from Pinbits, That Pinball Place had the 10.02 ROM and the 10.0 display ROM. After installing you must reset the pin to factory reset to get it to recognize the shaker. Check the post "How to install shaker motor in LOTR standard edition" by Markmon.

#2355 1 year ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have the standard version. I got the shaker motor from Pinball Life, PBL-100-0019-00, 10.02 PAL chip from Pinbits, That Pinball Place had the 10.02 ROM and the 10.0 display ROM. After installing you must reset the pin to factory reset to get it to recognize the shaker. Check the post "How to install shaker motor in LOTR standard edition" by Markmon.

Yeah I’ve read that post, just having trouble finding a resource for the ROM. Pinbits sold out, pinball place gives a 404. I’ll keep looking

#2356 1 year ago

Is it normal for the ring to make a loud buzzing noise when it grabs the ball and holds it? Mine does it and it's quite loud and distracting

#2357 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Is it normal for the ring to make a loud buzzing noise when it grabs the ball and holds it? Mine does it and it's quite loud and distracting

Yep, that magnet is pulling some amps holding that ball like that.....

#2358 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Is it normal for the ring to make a loud buzzing noise when it grabs the ball and holds it?

Mine doesn't. Coils normally buzz when their not super tight. Maybe the bracket is loose or you need to add a shim. (not sure how that coil is mounted)

#2359 1 year ago

My LOTR shut down today as I was playing and reset to start. Not sure why. It was like a Bally/Williams restart. Any thoughts?

#2360 1 year ago

Just found a previous post on this matter. May have been due to a long ball search. Ball was trapped and had to take off glass to get.

#2361 1 year ago

I just received my NOS playfield from BAA. Yay!

After unpacking it, it struck me how totally different this playfield looks from the one inside my machine. I mean, I know there are differences in quality for the playfields of this title, but dayum, to me, this is shocking!

Luckily, the NOS playfield looks much better than my original one. It's not perfect, but the color palette is much richer. Graphics are a lot nicer and less 'hard'. The playfield inside my machine has this green hue over the graphics, which the NOS one does not have. And Gandalf... well, see for yourself.

Of the following pictures, every first picture is the playfield that's inside my machine. Every second picture is the NOS playfield. All pictures were taken in similar lighting conditions. They were not edited, except for size.

original
NOS

original
NOS

original
NOS

original (wtf?!)
NOS

#2362 1 year ago

Wow, I had seen issues with color registration, where the small yellow letters with orange trim where obviously misaligned like where it says "light all rings for ring frenzy" at the bottom, but red nosed Gandalf sticking out his tongue is too much.

#2363 1 year ago
Quoted from Jappie:

After unpacking it, it struck me how totally different this playfield looks from the one inside my machine. I mean, I know there are differences in quality for the playfields of this title, but dayum, to me, this is shocking!
Luckily, the NOS playfield looks much better than my original one. It's not perfect, but the color palette is much richer. Graphics are a lot nicer and less 'hard'. The playfield inside my machine has this green hue over the graphics, which the NOS one does not have. And Gandalf... well, see for yourself.
Of the following pictures, every first picture is the playfield that's inside my machine. Every second picture is the NOS playfield. All pictures were taken in similar lighting conditions.

Wow, that's a pretty shocking difference. I just bought a NOS LOTR playfield from BAA a couple of months ago as well. I never bothered to do a comparison though. I'll have to do that.

#2364 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Wow, that's a pretty shocking difference. I just bought a NOS LOTR playfield from BAA a couple of months ago as well. I never bothered to do a comparison though. I'll have to do that.

Interesting. Will you post your findings here?

Also: When you bought your playfield at BAA, did you choose their 'Playfield Assurance Option'? If yes, what did they do for you?

#2365 1 year ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Interesting. Will you post your findings here?
Also: When you bought your playfield at BAA, did you choose their 'Playfield Assurance Option'? If yes, what did they do for you?

I did pay for that service. I figured if I'm paying a small fortune for this playfield already, another $50 or whatever it was, is worth it for a little peace of mind. Basically they opened the box and did a thorough inspection of the playfield, letting me know if there are any issues with it ahead of time. They also sent me many detailed pictures of all areas of the playfield. At that time I had the opportunity to approve it or ask for another one. It came exactly as described.

#2366 1 year ago

Thanks for the info! Very curious what your playfield looks like.

I didn't use the service, but it did get me curious. Guess I got lucky with what I got.

#2367 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Mine does not make any loud noises. The ring has worked great after I put in a new fuse after I got it home.

#2368 1 year ago
Quoted from Jappie:

Of the following pictures, every first picture is the playfield that's inside my machine. Every second picture is the NOS playfield. All pictures were taken in similar lighting conditions. They were not edited, except for size.

I have had a lot of lotr m’s trying to find the mint hou one. One thing I learned is the playfeilds changed with build date. I had three next to each all hou and the late games the graphics not as good. 2003-04 seemed to be the best.

#2369 1 year ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

I have had a lot of lotr’s trying to find the mint hou one. One thing I learned is the playfeilds changed with build date. I had three next to each all hou and the late games the graphics not as good. 2003-04 seemed to be the best.

#2370 1 year ago

Very interesting! Did you find one with a perfect playfield?

Playfield quality could indeed have something to do with build date. However, I'm not sold on that idea. I think it might be more random than that. Case in point: the original Pinball News post from when LOTR just came out.

This is one of the very first pictures of a LOTR; the playfield of the first test game they had in Chicago, taken from http://www.pinballnews.com/games/lotr/index4.html. It obviously has the green hue on it, especially noticable in Merry's blouse, Gandalf's beard and Legolas' hair.
7 (resized).jpg

The playfield of the sample game that Pinball News tested, did not have the green hue. This game might have left the production belt a bit earlier than the test game, though. It still has the prototype/sample stickers on the apron, where the test game had the production stickers. http://www.pinballnews.com/games/lotr/index5.html
IMG_0482 (resized).jpg

Last but not least, the game on Stern's press release photo also seems to have a pretty nice playfield, without any hue.
playfield (resized).jpg

#2371 1 year ago

I think the playfield color quality was an issue all through the early 2000s. I noticed the same thing on a couple of different TSPP last year.

#2372 1 year ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

I think the playfield color quality was an issue all through the early 2000s. I noticed the same thing on a couple of different TSPP last year.

I did find one with perfect playfeild. I had two 2006 machines that were made two days appart and the one had the green hue. As I started to look close I believe it was from light and a fading effect on the playfeild. TSPP was same way but the pink or on some the red car you tell the difference. That one the early Games we’re not as good. In 2005 mid production they ran out of Gandalf igures and he changed to Gandalf the grey with no horse.

FYI if anyone is looking for LOTR cabinet decs I do have a set which can be hard to find in next gen quality. I had one once that had a perfect playfeild but fading. I ended up selling as is.

#2373 1 year ago

Here are a couple pics of mine FYI. PF looks normal, and appears to be stamped 07 04 (Aug/2004 I assume). It's a LotR standard and has Gandalf w/horse figure.

IMG_5092 (resized).JPG

No green hue -
IMG_5096 (resized).JPG

"LIGHT ALL RINGS" has good yellow/orange registration.
IMG_5093 (resized).JPG

#2374 1 year ago

What's the story with Gandalf on the horse? I am fairly certain my game is a Standard, but I have the Surfing Gandalf. I thought he was supposed to be on Shadowfax?

#2375 1 year ago

Sounds like yours is standard. The LE version from 2009 does not have any figures.

It was posted above - 'In 2005 mid production they ran out of Gandoff figures and he changed to Gandoff the grey with no horse.'

#2376 1 year ago

I can't think of a playfield that deserves 're-mastering' or 're-envisioning' more than LOTR's playfield. For such a brilliant game, the quality of the playfield art (and printing) is a real shame. Frankly, it's kinda ridiculous that they'd remake playfields with that level of poor quality nowadays.

Was the source art lost or are they worried about legal approval of any modifications? Can they borrow a higher quality printer from JJP? lol Even a super-resolution process like this would go a long way: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/nvidia-super-resolution-tool-launch-2947926

#2377 1 year ago

Trying a new and unique powder coating for LOTR. I wasn't able to get it plated, so I'm choosing Transparent Copper. I'll post pics when it's rebuilt.

KIMG0760 (resized).JPG

KIMG0761 (resized).JPG

#2378 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Sounds like yours is standard. The LE version from 2009 does not have any figures.
It was posted above - 'In 2005 mid production they ran out of Gandoff figures and he changed to Gandoff the grey with no horse.'

Gotcha, thx! I think mine must be a standard from 2009 as noted.

#2379 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Trying a new and unique powder coating for LOTR. I wasn't able to get it plated, so I'm choosing Transparent Copper. I'll post pics when it's rebuilt.

Looks very cool

#2380 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Here are a couple pics of mine FYI. PF looks normal, and appears to be stamped 07 04 (Aug/2004 I assume). It's a LotR standard and has Gandalf w/horse figure.

No green hue -

"LIGHT ALL RINGS" has good
yellow/orange registration.

Yes most feel 2004-2005 was the best year on them. From what I see yes it was.

#2381 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What's the story with Gandalf on the horse? I am fairly certain my game is a Standard, but I have the Surfing Gandalf. I thought he was supposed to be on Shadowfax?

Yes ran out Gandalf grey came mid to late 2005.

#2382 1 year ago

One can buy figures on eBay. They are just lord of rings toy figures but getting harder to find. I added them all to my LE and switched grey to white on horse on one I sold as guy wanted it. There are threads on here on how to do it.

#2383 1 year ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

I did find one with perfect playfeild. I had two 2006 machines that were made two days appart and the one had the green hue. As I started to look close I believe it was from light and a fading effect on the playfeild. TSPP was same way but the pink or on some the red car you tell the difference. That one the early Games we’re not as good. In 2005 mid production they ran out of Gandalf figures and he changed to Gandalf the grey with no horse.
FYI if anyone is looking for LOTR cabinet decs I do have a set which can be hard to find in next gen quality. I had one once that had a perfect playfeild but fading. I ended up selling as is.

#2384 1 year ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

One can buy figures on eBay. They are just lord of rings toy figures but getting harder to find. I added them all to my LE and switched grey to white on horse on one I sold as guy wanted it. There are threads on here on how to do it.

I'm so confused when looking at eBay for the figures. Does anyone have a picture of the box or ad of what they bought? I have surfing gandalph and missing a few factory characters. Plus I heard you can buy the army of the dead on there

#2385 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I'm so confused when looking at eBay for the figures. Does anyone have a picture of the box or ad of what they bought? I have surfing gandalph and missing a few factory characters. Plus I heard you can buy the army of the dead on there

All of the characters are fairly easy to score Except the path of the dead army. Those sets you have to keep your eye out for as when they pop up they bring big dollars. Good luck with your search.

#2386 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Search for "armies of middle earth". That is the series from play along that the figures came from.

Gandalf on Shadowfax
ebay.com link » Lord Of The Rings Gandalf The White On Shadowfax Armies Of The Middle Earth

#2387 1 year ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Search for "armies of middle earth". That is the series from play along that the figures came from.
Gandalf on Shadowfax
ebay.com link » Lord Of The Rings Gandalf The White On Shadowfax Armies Of The Middle Earth

Yes those are them.

image (resized).jpg

#2388 1 year ago

There are 12 of them but a few come in sets.

#2389 1 year ago

Does he just fasten with zip ties

#2390 1 year ago
Quoted from jov9019:

Does he just fasten with zip ties

Yes I can take pictures if you want.

#2391 1 year ago

I just got one on eBay. That would be very helpful thank you!

#2392 1 year ago

I have a question and it's probably been brought up before. My Balrog switch seems to be intermittent. A lot of times he doesn't register. I've replaced the switch and wiring, but no change. It activates in switch test. Also Balrog doesn't seem to go all the way back, when it's moving into position to cover the spinner and it's not getting hung up on the wiring. I'm not sure if this is what's causing it. I thought I'd ask before dipping into it to deeply.
I've also played other LOTR's and it seems like this is a common problem. So, maybe it's normal.

#2393 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

I have a question and it's probably been brought up before. My Balrog switch seems to be intermittent. A lot of times he doesn't register. I've replaced the switch and wiring, but no change. It activates in switch test. Also Balrog doesn't seem to go all the way back, when it's moving into position to cover the spinner and it's not getting hung up on the wiring. I'm not sure if this is what's causing it. I thought I'd ask before dipping into it to deeply.
I've also played other LOTR's and it seems like this is a common problem. So, maybe it's normal.

There's a relay PCB that Balrog plugs into under the playfield. Reflow all the solder on it. That should help with the position not registering correctly.

#2394 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

You completely replaced the wiring that runs from the switch to the board under the playfield? That fixed my problem

#2395 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

You completely replaced the wiring that runs from the switch to the board under the playfield? That fixed my problem

Yes, all new wiring and a new switch.

#2396 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

There's a relay PCB that Balrog plugs into under the playfield. Reflow all the solder on it. That should help with the position not registering correctly.

Thank you, I'll take a look

#2397 1 year ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Couldn't find a PCB under the playfield

#2398 1 year ago

Is this the relay PCB?

1517184750468-1658588106 (resized).jpg

#2399 1 year ago

Looks pretty good

15171849747831385939229 (resized).jpg

#2400 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Is this the relay PCB?

Quoted from trk12fire:

Looks pretty good

That's the one, go ahead and reflow all those solder joints. It's the next step if you've already swapped out the wiring harness and switch on BalRog.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Phoenix, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, CO
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 5267 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 106.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside