IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 204.
#2201 6 years ago

I tried emailing this fellow but unfortunately no reply is there a specific part number for these types of coils, I would like to switch mine out to a little lower strength to see if I get less rejections on ring shot.

Quoted from pipes:

Pretty sure that setting is only to adjust the upkickers. I tried lowering the power on mine and noticed that the ball would not make it up to the POTD and even had trouble kicking up from the trough to the shooter lane. You're going to have to swap to the original coils or get the medium power ones from APB which I just installed in my game. Shoot an email over to Andrew @ APB and he'll hook you up.
[email protected]

#2202 6 years ago

Anybody get hang ups from the ring shot? Any ideas to stop this pretty annoying when you start a mode and it gets stuck.

3778C451-8264-4BAD-8680-DB2E97FB17ED (resized).jpeg3778C451-8264-4BAD-8680-DB2E97FB17ED (resized).jpeg

#2203 6 years ago

It did take a while to get a reply to my email when I first contacted him. He did reply the following day. You can try sending a PM to APB_Enterprises but he did mention to me that email was the best way to get a hold of him. There was no part number the coils I received, only a label saying “Lord of the Rings Medium Strength Coil”.

#2204 6 years ago
Quoted from pins4life33:

Anybody get hang ups from the ring shot? Any ideas to stop this pretty annoying when you start a mode and it gets stuck.

What is the ball getting hung on? Are the balls magnetized? Also what pitch do you have the game set at?

#2205 6 years ago

Around 8.0

Quoted from DCFAN:

What is the ball getting hung on? Are the balls magnetized? Also what pitch do you have the game set at?

#2206 6 years ago

Sounds like it is catching on something, your wireform is slightly bent, or possibly the rails are slightly Pinched together at that point causing the ball to rise and slow. At 8 degrees (hopefully measured from the Playfield!) you should have plenty of speed to ride down that rail.

#2207 6 years ago

Ya game plays super fast, for some reason every tenth ball in that wire form gets stuck. Will check out the wire form and see if there is an issue there

Quoted from Yelobird:

Sounds like it is catching on something, your wireform is slightly bent, or possibly the rails are slightly Pinched together at that point causing the ball to rise and slow. At 8 degrees (hopefully measured from the Playfield!) you should have plenty of speed to ride down that rail.

#2208 6 years ago

I was getting hang-ups just before the opening in the backboard when I first got the game. I changed the pitch and it solved the problem. If you're at 8.0 pitch that should be plenty to keep the ball moving down the wire form. Magnetization may be the issue if you don’t see anything obstructing the path of the ball.

#2209 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It did take a while to get a reply to my email when I first contacted him. He did reply the following day. You can try sending a PM to APB_Enterprises but he did mention to me that email was the best way to get a hold of him. There was no part number the coils I received, only a label saying “Lord of the Rings Medium Strength Coil”.

Sorry about that, I am not on Pinside much.

We did not make a part number for this coil. If you want some, they are on our eBay store.

Pinside Shop Link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr

LE: ebay.com link: itm

Regular: ebay.com link: itm

Thank you for the business! I hope you liked them.

Andrew

LOTRMP (resized).jpgLOTRMP (resized).jpg

#2210 6 years ago

I have also listed them in my shop here on Pinside.

Andrew

#2211 6 years ago

Awesome thanks!!!

Quoted from APB_Enterprises:

I have also listed them in my shop here on Pinside.
Andrew

#2212 6 years ago

Thanks Andrew, I just put in my order! I have to say the Pinside Shops were a genius move.

#2213 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks Andrew, I just put in my order! I have to say the Pinside Shops were a genius move.

No worries! I do like the idea as well, and it's easy to use which is a bonus.

Most of what we sell we like selling through our distribution network, but some coils (like the LOTR ones here) are not carried by any of the big pinball part distros. That is the kind of stuff I will load into the shop. Plus any seconds we may have.

Thank you for the business!

Regards,

Andrew

#2214 6 years ago

Looking forward to more APB stuff on the shops!

Just put in a Pinbits order as well, for the figure mounting plastics (good to have as a backup! Right now I don't have a plastic to mount Saruman or Gandalf, so that will come in handy), and the magnetizing plastic thing for the sword ramp, the wood rail protector, some foam for the cabinet, and the extra ring ramp plastics. Eventually I need to fix the cabinet and order the decals too!

Once I get this game working 100% again it's back the Monster Bash restore...

#2215 6 years ago

I don't remember the specifics as far as count (nor the context it came up or if it was even on Pinside or RGP) but cant we net the same thing just by removing a few winds from the original coils? Less winds=stronger coils if I remember correctly. Has anyone with coil issues attempted it?

#2216 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I don't remember the specifics as far as count (nor the context it came up or if it was even on Pinside or RGP) but cant we net the same thing just by removing a few winds from the original coils? Less winds=stronger coils if I remember correctly. Has anyone with coil issues attempted it?

I believe you have it opposite in that the number of windings/turns is proportional to the field strength meaning that more turns means more strength.

#2217 6 years ago

yes, more turns means stronger electromagnet

#2218 6 years ago
Quoted from Raegor:

yes, more turns means stronger electromagnet

So if someone has the powerful coils, all they need to do is remove windings until they are happy with the strength.

#2219 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

So if someone has the powerful coils, all they need to do is remove windings until they are happy with the strength.

Certainly this is correct - but I’m happy paying the $20 for the coil which have been tested and measured already

#2220 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

Yes but you should know what you're doing. I don't suggest experimenting with electromagnets, especially when they're so cheap to buy the right version. And you'd have to rewrap with something, they do heat up when in use.

#2221 6 years ago

I have always heard that removing windings will increase the current which will make the magnet stronger. I found this that makes me believe that is correct.

Quote:
More current = more magnetic pull

Ohm's Law ... I = V/R where,
...I = Current
...V = Voltage
...R = Resistance

Holding voltage constant, reducing resistance (with fewer windings), increases current.
There are tradeoffs.

I'm sure a bonafide EE can chime in.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#2222 6 years ago

For solenoids the more coils/windings, the stronger the magnetic field it produces, therefore the stronger the movement of the plunger in that field.

.....and yes, I'm bonafide.....

#2224 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I have always heard that removing windings will increase the current which will make the magnet stronger. I found this that makes me believe that is correct.
Quote:
...I = Current
...V = Voltage
...R = Resistance
Holding voltage constant, reducing resistance (with fewer windings), increases current.
There are tradeoffs.
--

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solenoid

#2225 6 years ago

Can anybody provide some guidance and destroying the "ring?" I have gotten there many times, hit the four shots, nail the shot through the ring and back through the wire path...even several times, but never got to destroy it. Am I missing something?? thanks!!! Love the game...awesome!! Want a second, faster game soon, but this is a keeper!!

#2226 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Can anybody provide some guidance and destroying the "ring?" I have gotten there many times, hit the four shots, nail the shot through the ring and back through the wire path...even several times, but never got to destroy it. Am I missing something?? thanks!!! Love the game...awesome!! Want a second, faster game soon, but this is a keeper!!

Switch test the ring, I'm sure it's just not registering 100% of the time therefore not giving you credit for the final shots in the mode.

#2227 6 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Switch test the ring, I'm sure it's just not registering 100% of the time therefore not giving you credit for the final shots in the mode.

Thank you!! It registers for most, if not all, hits. Just seemed odd to have to hit it so many times and never "destroy" the mother!!

thanks!!!

#2228 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

Thank you!! It registers for most, if not all, hits. Just seemed odd to have to hit it so many times and never "destroy" the mother!!
thanks!!!

Does the magnet work? In other words, if you shoot into the ring, is the ball captured by the magnet right at the entrance?

It sounds to me like it's not, so the first ball never gets captured there. So the second ball is never being launched.

Destroy the ring is (on factory settings) a two ball thing. First make the four shots. Then capture a ball in the ring. A second ball is launched into play. The objective is then to hit the first ball through the ring by hitting it with the second. When you do... (sorry, no spoiler here).

Run the magnet test. Then (most likely) replace the fuse for the magnet. As an alternative you can set DTR to be one ball destroy if you can't get the magnet working.

#2229 6 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Quote:
...I = Current
...V = Voltage
...R = Resistance
There are tradeoffs.
--

Each wire loop that is wound on top of each other contributes individually to the magnetic field strength. The length of a pinball coil is fixed by the coil bobbin dimensions so the more turns the more they are wrapped over each other. The current and number of turns sort of cancel each other out when removing or adding loops because the current is inversely proportional to the resistance in the wire. Thus adding additional turns does not increase the field by itself since the field from each turn will go down because it is supplied with a fixed voltage and V=IR (R goes up with more turns). The main factor is the concentration of the wire loops in a small length with each combining to provide a magnetic field which only extends a short distance. If you were to have a 100 loops on a 1 inch core/bobbin it would provide a much stronger field along the length of the cool than if you wrapped the same 100 loop wire on a 2 inch core/bobbin. Obviously the wire gauge is a factor in the design of a coil's strength, but does not really help with modifying an existing coil like in this thread.

#2230 6 years ago

Remove wire for a stronger coil. Decrease gauge for a stronger coil (IE 30 awg to 28 awg, 28 will be stronger.) There is a point of diminishing returns though, be careful.

The medium ones in specific we are selling now were tested in a few machines for months before we started selling them. LOTR is one of my favorites, so I enjoyed making something for it and testing them. I think we made 8 or so varieties before we found a happy medium. Different gauges and turns. I think the last set we made that we ended up using we were tweaking by around 25 turns or so.

Flipper power is a bit subjective to the user, and obviously the game as well... pitch and PWM settings. Not for everyone, but we have had a fair amount of positive feedback on this specific coil vs. the high power ones (which we also make.) I want people to like them, and welcome all feedback with the caveat about machine variables in mind.

Happy flipping!

Andrew

#2231 6 years ago

Remove wire for a stronger coil. Decrease gauge for a stronger coil (IE 30 awg to 28 awg, 28 will be stronger.) There is a point of diminishing returns though, be careful.
The medium ones in specific we are selling now were tested in a few machines for months before we started selling them. LOTR is one of my favorites, so I enjoyed making something for it and testing them. I think we made 8 or so varieties before we found a happy medium. Different gauges and turns. I think the last set we made that we ended up using we were tweaking by around 25 turns or so.
Flipper power is a bit subjective to the user, and obviously the game as well... pitch and PWM settings. Not for everyone, but we have had a fair amount of positive feedback on this specific coil vs. the high power ones (which we also make.) I want people to like them, and welcome all feedback with the caveat about machine variables in mind.
Happy flipping!
Andrew

OK, you convinced me....ordering now!!!

#2232 6 years ago

Happy flipping!
Andrew

See, this is what I’m talking about! It’s worth the cost for all the testing alone!

#2233 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

See, this is what I’m talking about! It’s worth the cost for all the testing alone!

Yup, they're great! The game plays perfect now....huge improvement! Great product Andrew, thanks.

#2234 6 years ago
Quoted from Morhaus:

There is a wire switch behind the ring- it is located in the trough behind the ring. This needs to work to be able to “destroy the ring.”

#2235 6 years ago

I've had my LOTR for about ten years and today, finally, finally I got There and Back Again! Of course, I didn't get anywhere near to completing it, but it was so great to finally see it. Pretty decent 167m score on a three ball game, the only thing I did was max the ball save timer, everything else on defaults. I was soooo close to Valinor, too. I think my quest for Valinor is almost at an end...

#2236 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Yup, they're great! The game plays perfect now....huge improvement! Great product Andrew, thanks.

Did you go from high power to the mid, or low power to mid? I just ordered the mids and am currently running the high power. I love the high power "kick" but a few times it is too much.

#2237 6 years ago
Quoted from voltron88x:

Did you go from high power to the mid, or low power to mid? I just ordered the mids and am currently running the high power. I love the high power "kick" but a few times it is too much.

I went from High to Mid. It still has good "kick" for sure, but not so much that you literally feel as though you're trying to demolish everything on the playfield. The ball rarely skips off the left ramp anymore. That was a huge problem for me.

#2238 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

I went from High to Mid. It still has good "kick" for sure, but not so much that you literally feel as though you're trying to demolish everything on the playfield. The ball rarely skips off the left ramp anymore. That was a huge problem for me.

That is exactly how my game feels. And it came with a million broken plastics to prove it!

#2239 6 years ago

FYI Pinballlife has the center golden ring/jump ramp for sale

#2240 6 years ago

They also have a ramp post upgrade kit. This will help protect the ramp from being damaged when the existing post on a screw that is installed in the game gets bent back allowing the left front edge of the ramp to get smashed. It will also prevent damage to the playfield as the post gets bent back, jamming the existing post sleeve into the playfield. It's cheap, and a worthwhile upgrade to protect your ramp and your game.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1045

Also, here is a link to the ramp mentioned in the post above: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4723

Andrew

#2241 6 years ago

They also have a ramp post upgrade kit. This will help protect the ramp from being damaged when the existing post on a screw that is installed in the game gets bent back allowing the left front edge of the ramp to get smashed. It will also prevent damage to the playfield as the post gets bent back, jamming the existing post sleeve into the playfield. It's cheap, and a worthwhile upgrade to protect your ramp and your game.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1045
Also, here is a link to the ramp mentioned in the post above: http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=4723
Andrew

I just bought this kit, only to find out it had already been installed!! Only $4 and an hour of trying to get it off without damaging the PF! It is a seriously needed upgrade.

It astounds me that this pin, as great as it is, needs SO much to be a long-term, good player. The thing with the coils getting too hot still stumps me. It’s like Stern did no playtesting before they shipped. Good thing the code and rules are so good!

#2242 6 years ago

Hello,
If someone needs to fix the ring on this machine, send me a message, im doing another run of the ring decal.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57982

Regards

#2243 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

Hello,
If someone needs to fix the ring on this machine, send me a message, im doing another run of the ring decal.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/57982
Regards

I was thinking this was the decal around the ring at the back of the game, which is peeling off a bit on mine. Does this ring area also wear easily?

#2244 6 years ago

Since I’m asking - has anyone had to repair or repaint the ring at the back of the game? Mine has gold worn off, and I’d like to re spray it. Anything I need to know?

#2245 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Since I’m asking - has anyone had to repair or repaint the ring at the back of the game? Mine has gold worn off, and I’d like to re spray it. Anything I need to know?

You can repaint it with a airbrus easy pm me if you need some help

#2246 6 years ago
Quoted from RGAires:

You can repaint it with a airbrus easy pm me if you need some help

Thanks man, I have been looking for an excuse to get one. I might take you up on that!

#2247 6 years ago

After getting very close several times the past few weeks I finally got to Valinor. Very cool wizard mode. Now I need to rest for a few days. Those were some long games.

#2248 6 years ago

Sorry about that, I am not on Pinside much.
We did not make a part number for this coil. If you want some, they are on our eBay store.
Pinside Shop Link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1065-apb-enterprises/01414-new-stern-pinball-medium-power-coil-lord-of-the-rings-gnr
LE: ebay.com link
Regular: ebay.com link
Thank you for the business! I hope you liked them.
Andrew

Just ordered a set.

#2249 6 years ago

I used to think Lotr was to easy, but something about my game or the way I have it set up is kicking my butt. I think I'm going to check the angle. Enjoying the butt kicking though and can't wait to put up a big score. I'm waiting on a fork switch right now before I get to try again

#2250 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I used to think Lotr was to easy, but something about my game or the way I have it set up is kicking my butt. I think I'm going to check the angle. Enjoying the butt kicking though and can't wait to put up a big score. I'm waiting on a fork switch right now before I get to try again

Funny you should say that - the very second game I played before an extensive shop job when the game came into the house, i got Destroy the Ring! Have not even come close since then; I can’t even start 2 of the multiballs half the time! Kicking my butt indeed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 25.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/45?hl=raegor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.