Topic Stats

• 5,317 posts
  • 485 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by Chalkey
  • Topic is favorited by 255 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,114 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191116_225515 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191114_180258 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
lotr ring opto (resized).jpg
03B116CB-74C5-408A-B82E-9855DFB91B84 (resized).jpeg
8959ADB3-74DE-46AE-B038-9E3BAC78DF36 (resized).jpeg
20191110_095309 (resized).jpg
20190818_094127 (resized).jpg
9e38f6758f237db887b73f3b14d36a4fa9cbc097 (resized).jpg
20191105_194633 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191102_005114 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191030_195522 (resized).jpg
398FDFA5-3D41-428C-9016-362CC0F5F3C6 (resized).jpeg
20191030_174557 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5317 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 107.
#2151 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gotcha - thanks for keeping me from making a mistake. Damn this game is getting expensive !!!

lol, no worries. I don't even want to know how much I've dropped on this game so far. I plan on being buried in it so that helps me justify everything.....and now a Pinsound board and ColorDMD....

#2152 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Pretty sure that setting is only to adjust the upkickers.

OK, now I'm curious!

#2153 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

I just installed this from Pinbits and it works great. The ball will not get stuck between that post and the tower anymore. It does also help to minimize the amount of times the ball will fall back into the tower but does not eliminate that problem completely.
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=491&zenid=0b110f5c1c0bddcfe578f6d240c514fd

Cool! Will it still work with POTD Mod?

#2154 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I think he means the right ramp. That is where the sword is.
Mine does not hit the side of the cab when I shoot it up the right ramp from the left flipper, it hits the large switch there and heads down the ramp fairly quietly. If I backhand that shot, I then get a satisfying clunk. It might be that the ramp is tapered, putting spin on one side or the other side of the ball.

I would have to watch a video, but I believe from the left flipper on most LOTRs typically hits the target and then the sidewall of the cabinet because the ramp is angled about 45 degrees to the target. If you have mirror blades they are likely dinged up in the area to the right of the target.

#2155 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Gotcha - thanks for keeping me from making a mistake. Damn this game is getting expensive !!!

It's expensive but you're making it bulletproof and it should play great for years. Plus you got it for a good price. I feel like I'm dumping in a lot of money on the one I picked up too, but it will look great, play great, and sound great so it's worth it to me. Now if I had picked it up at the going rate of 6000...probably wouldn't be so happy

#2156 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Cool! Will it still work with POTD Mod?

Yes it will. I have the POTD mod from PinballBulbs and only had to trim a little bit off of the bottom of the post that came with the mod to make the Pinbits piece fit properly.

#2157 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

It's expensive but you're making it bulletproof and it should play great for years. Plus you got it for a good price. I feel like I'm dumping in a lot of money on the one I picked up too, but it will look great, play great, and sound great so it's worth it to me. Now if I had picked it up at the going rate of 6000...probably wouldn't be so happy

All good points ... I was being a little bit facetious but I still have to add a PinSound, which was originally for This game but I added it to another game as I didn’t have the Whitestar adapter... and decals.. but first I want to protect the dang thing!

#2158 1 year ago

I think my ring magnet went bad. Is this a common thing with a common fix? If so, what is it? Of course it happened as I was about to destroy the ring!

#2159 1 year ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

I think my ring magnet went bad. Is this a common thing with a common fix? If so, what is it? Of course it happened as I was about to destroy the ring!

It's common that when two balls get stuck there, the magnet fuse can blow.

#2160 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Pretty sure that setting is only to adjust the upkickers. I tried lowering the power on mine and noticed that the ball would not make it up to the POTD and even had trouble kicking up from the trough to the shooter lane. You're going to have to swap to the original coils or get the medium power ones from APB which I just installed in my game. Shoot an email over to Andrew @ APB and he'll hook you up.
andrew.barney@apbenterprises.com

This isn’t true. LOTR has specific adjustments for the flippers to try and keep the coil temperatures
under control.

http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb151.pdf

#2161 1 year ago

Switch the ring magnet fuse to 4 amp. Approved by Stern.

#2162 1 year ago
Quoted from stoptap:

This isn’t true. LOTR has specific adjustments for the flippers to try and keep the coil temperatures
under control.
http://www.sternpinball.com/upload/downloads/sb151.pdf

The adjustment I was referring to is the "coil pulse power". The adjustments you are referring to are basically to help prolong the strength of the flippers by keeping the STOCK coils from overheating so quickly but they do not allow you to adjust the strength at which the coil is firing. Those adjustments will do little to help you keep the ball from flinging off the ramps if you have the high powered coils installed. Rdoyle1978 has the "upgraded" coils installed.

#2163 1 year ago

and how can I reduce the strength a bit? Cause the upgradecoils are a bit heavy sometimes

#2164 1 year ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

and how can I reduce the strength a bit? Cause the upgradecoils are a bit heavy sometimes

I think the answer for both of us is to order the “medium” strength coils from APB

#2165 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

The adjustment I was referring to is the "coil pulse power". The adjustments you are referring to are basically to help prolong the strength of the flippers by keeping the STOCK coils from overheating so quickly but they do not allow you to adjust the strength at which the coil is firing. Those adjustments will do little to help you keep the ball from flinging off the ramps if you have the high powered coils installed. Rdoyle1978 has the "upgraded" coils installed.

He could try reducing the pulse time to the minimum and see how that effects the power.

#2166 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

It's common that when two balls get stuck there, the magnet fuse can blow.

Quoted from trk12fire:

Switch the ring magnet fuse to 4 amp. Approved by Stern.

Thanks guys!

#2167 1 year ago

All right.. next question.

I have balls that are getting stuck on the switches on the right (sword) ramp.
It’s so frustrating! How do those “ball detect” switches have to be set up? The balls are hitting the switches and getting trapped; even a second/third ball doesn’t carry enough force
To bounce them down. The balls are not touching the white plastic post so it’s definjtely the switch. Help! Lol

#2168 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It’s so frustrating! How do those “ball detect” switches have to be set up? The balls are hitting the switches and getting trapped; even a second/third ball doesn’t carry enough force
To bounce them down. The balls are not touching the white plastic post so it’s definjtely the switch. Help! Lol

Can you post a picture with the balls stuck there? They should be rollover switches with the little round ends.

#2169 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Sounds like you might need to adjust your switches or possibly raise the sword a bit? Have to look at mine not sure if there is an adjustment on the sword?

#2170 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The balls may be magnetized and sticking together.

#2171 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The balls may be magnetized and sticking together.

This was my problem. I replaced the balls and it fixed the problem.

#2172 1 year ago

^^^ Ditto. Replaced magnetized balls and stuck on sword problem went away.

#2173 1 year ago
Quoted from DavidMP:

Pinbits also sells a small plastic wedge that helps to keep the balls from sticking to the ramp. I was having the same problem and haven't had it since installing it.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=463&zenid=4db2cdd9f52941d2b20850bb59a17dd9

Pics here:
https://mrtn.smugmug.com/Photos/Pinball/2010-04-27/i-9FdZDKF

Damn, there's just so many things you need to do to get this game playing properly.

#2174 1 year ago
Quoted from DavidMP:

Triple Ditto

#2175 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Damn, there's just so many things you need to do to get this game playing properly.

Not from my experience. All I did was rebuild my flippers and solder a wire back onto the Gimli upkicker. 10 years later and a couple of fork switches and that's about it.

#2176 1 year ago

I think that you can make the argument that LOTR is the greatest pinball machine of all-time. It requires strategy, has flow yet requires shot-making with shots that change, a deep ruleset, great dots with excellent sound package, interesting modes with several mini-wizard modes, and an immersive & well integrated theme. I understand the love for MM, AFM, and MB but if we are being honest LOTR just outshines them all. Really the only weakness I can think of is that upper playfield which just could have been better. It is back in my collection and never leaving again...

#2177 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Pinbits also sells a small plastic wedge that helps to keep the balls from sticking to the ramp. I was having the same problem and haven't had it since installing it.
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_48&products_id=463&zenid=4db2cdd9f52941d2b20850bb59a17dd9
Pics here:

I don't think the ball-lock problem should happen at all if you have the carbon core balls rather than the chrome balls.

#2178 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't think the ball-lock problem should happen at all if you have the carbon core balls rather than the chrome balls.

I've only used Silverjets in my game. You are probably right. That $4 piece of plastic seems to have done the trick so it's all good.

#2179 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

I've only used Silverjets in my game. You are probably right. That $4 piece of plastic seems to have done the trick so it's all good.

Yeah. Silverjets don't do well with magnets. I would expect there are other areas where the magnetism causes some problems such as sticking a little in the VUKs and ball trough.
In WOZ, it has been reported by many that Silverjets are unplayable.

#2180 1 year ago

SilverJets are to be avoided on any games that have magnets.

#2181 1 year ago

Looks like my problem is that the switches are actually -bent- I have sort of fixed one but they are too hard to get to, to be able to fix it easily and get it dialed in perfectly. I’ll remember that about the magnetized balls! I just replaced them about 4 days ago, maybe 2 plays on them, so I think that’s unlikely the issue. Plus I can see the switch physically impeding the ball.

#2182 1 year ago

Anybody install the new PinSound mix? I would love to hear that thundering soundtrack in Technicolor Stereo!!

#2183 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Anybody install the new PinSound mix? I would love to hear that thundering soundtrack in Technicolor Stereo!!

I attempted to install the pin sound mixes last night. I had an issue because at this time you can only have one mix on the flash drive for white star. Now that i know that I’m going to try the original first

#2184 1 year ago

I have a few other issued as well. I have a loud hum from the speakers, almost like the sound is turned way up. Tech support told me to turn the sound down on pinsound but up on the machine and it still seems to be there. Anyone else have this issue with lotr or pinsound on a white star?

The sounds also seemed to be delayed and certain ones missing, but I’m going to load the original mix and try again

#2185 1 year ago

I purchased one last night. It will get here however long it takes. I'm going to use thewool's mix as can't imagine the original mix can be better. But would like to know, so post how you like it when you get it loaded.

#2186 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Looks like my problem is that the switches are actually -bent- I have sort of fixed one but they are too hard to get to, to be able to fix it easily and get it dialed in perfectly. I’ll remember that about the magnetized balls! I just replaced them about 4 days ago, maybe 2 plays on them, so I think that’s unlikely the issue. Plus I can see the switch physically impeding the ball.

The balls get magnetized as soon as they go into the ring one time.

#2187 1 year ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The balls get magnetized as soon as they go into the ring one time.

What! Wtf this seems like a fairly bad design flaw

#2188 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I purchased one last night. It will get here however long it takes. I'm going to use thewool's mix as can't imagine the original mix can be better. But would like to know, so post how you like it when you get it loaded.

Thewool’s mix is better, but really they are both pretty good

#2189 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thewool’s mix is better, but really they are both pretty good

Thanks. Is there someplace I can listen to it? (the original)

#2190 1 year ago

Can someone take a picture of the board behind the backpanel of their playfield? I've got a bunch of open slots for connectors on there and some bent pins. Looked like 2 smaller gauge connectors were plugged in

#2191 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

Here is wools mix thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-lotr-wool-movie-mix

#2192 1 year ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

I think (not 100%) that this is what people were referring to as “the original”

#2193 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballTilt:

I have a few other issued as well. I have a loud hum from the speakers, almost like the sound is turned way up. Tech support told me to turn the sound down on pinsound but up on the machine and it still seems to be there. Anyone else have this issue with lotr or pinsound on a white star?
The sounds also seemed to be delayed and certain ones missing, but I’m going to load the original mix and try again

This could be 2 things -
1) double-amplified sound, in which case turning down either the PinSound board or the game volume itself would help, or

2) you have a ground hum, in which case this is an issue related to the
Power coming into your house and you’ll need to buy and add a ground loop isolator from Amazon or wherever

#2194 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It is physics. If you use a ball made of the wrong material such as Silverjets it will become essentially a permanent magnet when it comes in contact with an electromagnet in any pinball game that has such a magnet.

See "permanent magnet":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet

#2195 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I use the 5 for $5 balls from marco, and have never magnetized one yet.

#2196 1 year ago
Quoted from pipes:

Pics here:

Or just use the correct kind of balls.

#2197 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yes, people choosing bling over functionality is definitely a design flaw

Stop using the wrong balls.

#2198 1 year ago
Quoted from trk12fire:

Wow, that LOTR topper at Cointaker is insane!

It looks good!
I have one coming for when i get another LOTR in the next year.

#2199 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Or just use the correct kind of balls.

lol, I suppose that's the best way to avoid the problem.

I used a degaussing wand that I had for de-magnetizing the CRT monitors in my arcade games and it definitely works on Silverjets too. I was having issues with the balls not rolling down the trough consistently because they were getting stuck together. This worked.....for the time being. As mentioned previously, they will get magnetized again. I don't notice an issue using Silverjets in my TWD Pre or Star Trek games but I guess the ring magnet is a tad stronger than those? Anyway, I'll be switching those balls out at some point. At least I have a temporary fix for the time being.

#2200 1 year ago

There is literally years worth of posts about people arguing which strength flipper coils to get. Just use the original coils and install a couple of 120mm silent fans on them. I've done that to both my LOTR and TSPP. Both play exactly how they are supposed to for hours on end. Shots aren't too weak, they aren't crazy powerful like the "strong" coils, just exactly how they were intended to be.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 1,000.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, CO
There are 5317 posts in this topic. You are on page 44 of 107.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside