Topic Stats

• 4,532 posts
  • 450 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Prophet
  • Topic is favorited by 242 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 936 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Path2 (resized).jpg
Path1 (resized).jpg
IMG_0978 (resized).JPG
IMG_20190710_165420 (resized).jpg
024 (resized).jpg
038 (resized).jpg
033 (resized).jpg
046 (resized).jpg
045 (resized).jpg
023 (resized).jpg
040 (resized).jpg
017 (resized).jpg
012 (resized).jpg
421D9CFF-FC96-411D-97B3-F697B3DBB2CC (resized).jpeg
9FB3AA51-7484-4555-ADE5-479412AF3D58 (resized).jpeg
20190706_203334 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4532 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 91.
#1651 2 years ago

Hello, I got a LotR LE this week and more often than not the game kicks 2 balls into the shooter lane (coil fires twice). Is this a known issue, and is there a recommended fix? Thanks!

#1653 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Trough opto board failing.

If it doesn't do it all the time, but seems to do it only when it doesn't kick the ball all the way up smoothly the same time and comes back down into the trough. Would that still be the opto? It seems to be working good looking in on it.

#1654 2 years ago
Quoted from DatNoobAdam:

If it doesn't do it all the time, but seems to do it only when it doesn't kick the ball all the way up smoothly the same time and comes back down into the trough. Would that still be the opto? It seems to be working good looking in on it.

That wouldn't sound like an opto issue and more like a misaligned/loose trough or coil.

#1655 2 years ago

I've joined the club!! 1100 play CUO (Church use only) Standard.....off to Valinor!!!!

IMG_5048 (resized).JPG

#1656 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I posted the picture under LOTR Gimli vuk. Check it out.

could you post it here or post a link? I couldn't find what you were talking about. I definitely need a fix for this...

#1657 2 years ago

All I did was bend the tip so it does not go over the vuk.

Gimli Switch (resized).jpg

#1658 2 years ago

I would put the new switch in and see if it clears before bending. It may clear the vuk.

#1659 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

... CUO (Church use only)

Wait... what??

#1660 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

All I did was bend the tip so it does not go over the vuk.

That's fantastic. I'm on it

#1661 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Wait... what??

Yep, it was a trade-in from a local church who purchased it new. So, not quite HUO, but CUO....LOL!!

Showed up at our local gameroom supply store & arcade last Friday. Saw it Saturday, bought it today.

#1662 2 years ago

Playing my new-to-me LOTR some, doing some adjustments here and there. A Couple of Questions for the collective:

1) What would cause a Mode like Warg Battle just start on it's own without hitting the ring?? Seems like the modes just start on their own, especially after a quick 1-2 hit on both flippers (but not every time).

2) Does anybody have a spare red plastic that surrounds the right yellow flasher dome by the right flipper?? Mine is warped from a flasher bulb that overheated.....

#1663 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Playing my new-to-me LOTR some, doing some adjustments here and there. A Couple of Questions for the collective:
1) What would cause a Mode like Warg Battle just start on it's own without hitting the ring?? Seems like the modes just start on their own, especially after a quick 1-2 hit on both flippers (but not every time).
2) Does anybody have a spare red plastic that surrounds the right yellow flasher dome by the right flipper??2 Mine is warped from a flasher bulb that overheated.....

1. Could be the optos at the ring entrance are flakey.
2. I can ck and see. I do have a few spare plastics for LOTR.

#1664 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Quoted from LOTR_breath:

1. Could be the optos at the ring entrance are flakey.

Confirmed: Switch 47 (Ring Made) is showing up intermittently during the switch test, especially when slapping the flippers/cabinet. I can see the red LED on the transmitter Opto stays constantly on without flickering, so I'm assuming it is the receiver opto. I've cleaned the lens with a q-tip & some alcohol with no luck. Also traced the wire back to the opto board behind the back panel and it looks fine. So I figure the next step is to uninstall the optos and reflow the solder, and if that doesn't work replace the optos.

Big question: looks like the easiest way to get to the optos to remove them is to remove the playfield from the cabinet to get at the back of the back panel. I'm open to suggestions from you LOTR owners who have done this before if there is an easier way.....

#1665 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Confirmed: Switch 47 (Ring Made) is showing up intermittently during the switch test, especially when slapping the flippers/cabinet. I can see the red LED on the transmitter Opto stays constantly on without flickering, so I'm assuming it is the receiver opto. I've cleaned the lens with a q-tip & some alcohol with no luck. Also traced the wire back to the opto board behind the back panel and it looks fine. So I figure the next step is to uninstall the optos and reflow the solder, and if that doesn't work replace the optos.
Big question: looks like the easiest way to get to the optos to remove them is to remove the playfield from the cabinet to get at the back of the back panel. I'm open to suggestions from you LOTR owners who have done this before if there is an easier way.....

I can't remember exactly (through the back and/or underneath) but I was able to work in the back PF assembly for the switch without taking the PF out.

#1666 2 years ago

If you slide the playfield all the way out on the rails, you can get to switches and flasher in the back. (mostly)

#1667 2 years ago

I completed my POTD mod yesterday. 3 figures acquired off eBay, clear acrylic with posts & green rubbers from pinbits, 3 green matrix light posts with 3 way splitter and some extensions from Comet tied into the rear left bulb. I am happy with the results.

IMG_20170703_235443 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170705_001648 (resized).jpg

#1668 2 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

I completed my POTD mod yesterday. 3 figures acquired off eBay, clear acrylic with posts & green rubbers from pinbits, 3 green matrix light posts with 3 way splitter and some extensions from Comet tied into the rear left bulb. I am happy with the results.

Hawknole Thank you So much for this post! I was just putting all my pieces together to do the same setup next week. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on paying $250 for this mod. All in with the Pinbits setup and a flexible eBay seller I should have this done for roughly $75 with your helpful pictures. I do love the Comet Matrix setup, opens up many simple solutions. Thanks for the post and sharing your work! One question, in attaching it to the bulbs did you use their clamps or direct wire it? I was thinking to direct wire each lighted figure to their own bulb (3 of 4 green). Just curious how you made your final connection. Thanks!!!

#1669 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Hawknole Thank you So much for this post! I was just putting all my pieces together to do the same setup next week. Just couldn’t pull the trigger on paying $250 for this mod. All in with the Pinbits setup and a flexible eBay seller I should have this done for roughly $75 with your helpful pictures. I do love the Comet Matrix setup, opens up many simple solutions. Thanks for the post and sharing your work! One question, in attaching it to the bulbs did you use their clamps or direct wire it? I was thinking to direct wire each lighted figure to their own bulb (3 of 4 green). Just curious how you made your final connection. Thanks!!!

Hey Yelobird, I used a bayonet matrix quick connect into a bulb hole with a 6" matrix extension. That bulb was basically hidden in the rear left of the playfield, under a little plastic piece. I then tucked the wire with a velcro wire strip behind the ring back panel. The lights flash with the playfield so it works well. I also drilled some holes (not pictured) in the 2 brown bases aligned with 2 or 3 of the matirx LEDs, no need to drill all 4 and be careful of placement due to the stand and light. I might diffuse the light a little in the front figure.
Also, those cables need to be taped to the top of the clear acrylic so the ball can fit. I then tied the 3 way splitter wires to the back of the left rear figure to keep them tight to the acrylic. If you have other questions feel free to PM me. Thanks.

#1670 2 years ago

As another option, I did mine for about $20 back in the day. Got a piece of plastic from ace hardware. Stripped my potd and used it as a guide with my template router bit. Bought a few spacers from Terry at pbl. Screws I already had but could have been picked up at ace too. For the lighting, I just used a standard led in a 555 base hot glued into the fig. I drilled a hole into the back of the figure where you couldn't see it and hooked it on to the back board lighting. I personally only did one figure because I didn't like how all 3 blocked my view of the potd.

Just another option for those DIYers out there.

#1671 2 years ago

You guys with your POTD DIYs are making me jealous!

#1672 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

For posterity purposes and to help the next person trying to figure out how to do this:

1. Power off the pin, remove the lockbar and playfield glass, and pull the playfield all the way forward.
2. Remove the 6 red mode screened plastic from the backpanel by removing the two locknuts.
3. Using a makeup mirror (or any small magnifying mirror on a stand) set the mirror in the back bottom of the cabinet
so you can see the ball trough on the back of the backpanel in the mirror.
4. Remove the rear ball trough by removing the two phillips pan screws on the top of the trough that attach it to the backpanel.
5. Hang ball trough out of way over the top of the panel.
6. Reposition mirror to see back of magnet and ring assembly.
7. Remove the two screws holding the two brass magnet brackets.
CAREFUL - Magnet can and will fall once brackets are removed. Unplug and set magnet aside.
8. Unplug the two opto wires from the opto PCB on the back of the backpanel, taking care to note where each opto plugged in.
9. Remove full ring assembly from front of backpanel.

You now have access to disassemble/assemble the whole ring, i.e. optos, funnel, and the gold ring itself. Reassemble in reverse order.

In my case the optos were good, the mounting screws on the black receiver opto had worked their way loose, so with any cabinet vibration the opto would start to flicker. Solved that issue by using some blue Loctite on the screw threads and remounted the optos.

#1673 2 years ago

Make an offer, you pay shipping of your choice. Shoot me a PM.

IMG_0378 (resized).JPG

#1674 2 years ago

I finally managed to locate a Balrog votive to make that cool topper... does anyone have a list of what i need? From a while ago I had written down:

2 x #44 red LEDs for general lighting
1 x #89 flasher (positioned to be near his big mouth)

Also any suggestions on where to tie these into. I would have thought the 44s into the GI and 89 into the Balrog flasher?

#1675 2 years ago

And then...I was in the club!

Found this virtually untouched LOTR on Atl Craigslist. In an incredible mansion basement 5 miles from me. Owner said it was bought new by house seller, who sold it with the house back in 2003-2004. Couple hundred plays. Looks brand new.

So...what do I need?!? Code? Fixes? Mods? I do notice that balls in left lane on Path of the Dead stays left and fall into left trough area instead of hitting rail ramp.

Thanks!!

20170712_222707 (resized).jpg

20170712_222718 (resized).jpg

20170712_222739 (resized).jpg

#1676 2 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Found this virtually untouched LOTR on Atl Craigslist. In an incredible mansion basement 5 miles from me. Owner said it was bought new by house seller, who sold it with the house back in 2003-2004. Couple hundred plays. Looks brand new.
So...what do I need?!? Code? Fixes? Mods? I do notice that balls in left lane on Path of the Dead stays left and fall into left trough area instead of hitting rail ramp.
Thanks!!

Welcome to the club. I really do enjoy this machine. The pin looks good. Not sure on code. Mods are solely up to you. My guess is it does not have LEDs so some warm whites from Comet should do the trick. I added some colored ones here and there for effect, most noticeably I colored the fellowship members like others have. I added Legolas, Gimli & Boromir figures above the playfield near their spots. I also added the POTD acyrlic and figures. There are a couple options you have for the ball travel on the Paths of the Dead. There is a plastic diverter that will always send it to the habitrail. I did not go with that option as I like the ball randomly dropping in the Shire hole. Instead when I got my LOTR the final screw in the POTD plastic closest to the Shire along the cabinet was replaced with a longer screw and 2 clear bumpers. I really like the way this plays as I have removed this twice and put it back in both times. I also added the clear ramp from Australia over Arwen.

LOTR (resized).jpg

#1677 2 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

I do notice that balls in left lane on Path of the Dead stays left and fall into left trough area instead of hitting rail ramp.
Thanks!!

It's supposed to. There is a souls payout when it lands there which you miss when you ride the rails. There should still be a plastic/drop protector out there for purchase, I read someone else bought the mold and rights.

#1678 2 years ago

You want v10.00 for code.

#1679 2 years ago

Thanks for the info ...lovin this game so far!

#1680 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's supposed to. There is a souls payout when it lands there which you miss when you ride the rails. There should still be a plastic/drop protector out there for purchase, I read someone else bought the mold and rights.

Yep, Mike from Australia makes the new & improved POTD/Arwen ramp now. His pinside name is Time Bandit.

#1681 2 years ago

I just joined the club ! Does anyone have a jays mod palantir v6 valinor wanted to get one but their out on jays pinball page or does anyone know how to contact jay I wanted to see if he can make one for me?

#1682 2 years ago
Quoted from Djsandoz:

I just joined the club ! Does anyone have a jays mod palantir v6 valinor wanted to get one but their out on jays pinball page or does anyone know how to contact jay I wanted to see if he can make one for me?

Second this question...would love to know!

#1683 2 years ago
Quoted from Djsandoz:

I had sent PM to Jay regarding this, he said the mod is difficult to make or hard to find parts etc..

And he won't take a waiting list (I don't know why) you just have to be extremely lucky, he'll post on the Palantir thread and if you don't see it within 1-2 hours they'll sell our and won't appear for months.

#1684 2 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

Thanks!!

Sweet! Beauty machine - doesnt need much, just make sure to get a aerwin protector and some mylar for around the flipper buttons as you can see those screened cabs were bad

I did warm white single smd frosted from comet, and they look great, cool or colours dont really work in this game imo. Oh and this games inserts tent to ghost so get non ghosting ones for inserts.

#1685 2 years ago

My baby

2017-07-18 09.22.10.jpg

#1686 2 years ago

I think the real question is can someone come up with a DIY Palantir Mod that is almost as good as Jay's? I am guessing that unless you have a bot watching his page you may never get one. They look awesome but I am willing to compromise if I can put something together that will not fall apart and looks pretty good.

#1687 2 years ago

libtech Where did you get those instruction cards? I've looked and found several online, but not those.....

#1688 2 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

can someone come up with a DIY Palantir Mod

Yup, I swapped my Palantir bulb for a slow color change bendy LED. It was initially too bright so I put some white paper around the LED to diffuse it, with scotch tape.

The view of the paper grain and tape edge with the LED behind, gives a bit of a veiny eye effect. I need to try drawing on the paper to make it a bit cooler.

#1689 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

libtech Where did you get those instruction cards? I've looked and found several online, but not those.....

Dont really remember sorry, thats one thing I wish I was better with photoshop, as there are no cards that I love for this game.

#1690 2 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Dont really remember sorry, thats one thing I wish I was better with photoshop, as there are no cards that I love for this game.

Thanks, agree with you on the cards thing: found one good single card I liked, but no pair that was great....

#1691 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Thanks, agree with you on the cards thing: found one good single card I liked, but no pair that was great....

You might have seen these but this is my favorite set so far. The quality is great and I think the colors fit well with the machine.
http://pinballboy.com/rulecards/lotr-v1?rq=lord%20of%20the%20rings

20170718_134632 (resized).jpg

#1692 2 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

If you are card shopping, here are the ones I made.

EDIT: Uploaded at original size, no rescaling. Double-check your print settings to make sure you get the right size for the Stern cards. To make these I located an Elven font, scanned bits and pieces off the DVD cover, and mashed it all up in Photoshop. Enjoy!

LOTR Free Play card.png

LOTR rule card.png

#1693 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

Hmm, looks like the forum resizes the files... I can find another place to post them if anyone wants.

Those look great. I'd love to print a set and see what they look like on my machine. When you upload the images there is a drop down box where you can select Original Size (no rescaling).

Note: I downloaded the images you posted and they look like they will print correctly once I rescaled them to 300dpi to get the size correct.

#1694 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

You might have seen these but this is my favorite set so far. The quality is great and I think the colors fit well with the machine.
http://pinballboy.com/rulecards/lotr-v1?rq=lord%20of%20the%20rings

Like those, with one exception: I can do without the Pinball Boy logo........

#1695 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

Hmm, looks like the forum resizes the files... I can find another place to post them if anyone wants.

Nice!!! If you could post them original size or on a share site I'll give those a shot!

#1696 2 years ago

It drives me nuts when I see people post pictures of blinged out games with colordmds, custom shooter rods, lighted speakers, etc, but still have those fugly yellow Stern price cards. I mean, almost anything is a step up from that!

#1697 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

When you upload the images there is a drop down box where you can select Original Size (no rescaling).

Missed that! Post fixed, thanks.

#1698 2 years ago

Has anyone seen this problem? It typically happens during a multi ball. One of the balls gets lodged just above the shooter rod to the left.

See pic

IMG_2278 (resized).JPG

#1699 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

EDIT: Uploaded at original size, no rescaling. Double-check your print settings to make sure you get the right size for the Stern cards. To make these I located an Elven font, scanned bits and pieces off the DVD cover, and mashed it all up in Photoshop. Enjoy!

Yours look great only are too light for the game, I always thought a continuation of the center graphic on the apron would be cool, maybe a shadow of the sire on the left, and a shadow of mordor on the right? Then a sweet ass font like you used on yours? Like I said, wish I was better at photo shop!

#1700 2 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Has anyone seen this problem? It typically happens during a multi ball. One of the balls gets lodged just above the shooter rod to the left.

That skinny red plastic along the shooter lane that blocks that area is broken on your pin.

Is the auto plunger working OK? Maybe, take the glass off and start a Return of the King Multiball to see what occurs when it starts adding balls.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
There are 4532 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 91.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside