New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 112137)

The Lord of the Rings LOTR Journey begins here members club

By skywalker

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6,606 posts
  • 552 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by RobDutch
  • Topic is favorited by 283 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,493 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20201201_215525 (resized).jpg
FF9B3710-A2EF-4FC5-8133-C99C8EF8C680 (resized).jpeg
bundle1 (resized).jpg
LoTR+Hobbit (resized).jpg
LoTR3 (resized).jpg
LoTR2 (resized).jpg
LoTR1 (resized).jpg
D3B49811-E706-4DDD-AA0A-815ADC0F7534 (resized).jpeg
763D59EC-5DDC-403E-BB70-B71BF1596D55 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9086 (resized).jpg
IMG_9084 (resized).jpg
2AA3412A-B325-4F6E-9DE4-6C40E91E0F54 (resized).jpeg
86F20202-ABA7-4CC9-BEDD-90AE3090E470 (resized).jpeg
220E459A-770F-4322-BBBD-EEF35BD4DDDF (resized).jpeg
63512975-2B2D-4081-95B0-3D1ADF7D5653 (resized).jpeg
510E7D60-B5B9-41E5-81E5-18ADF4E3AD19 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 6606 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 133.
#1551 3 years ago

Question: does anyone have/prefer Path of the dead mod without LED's in the figures? The reason I ask is the cost of purchasing the supplies plus sending to someone to mod is over $200 and supplies can get for less than $100. I did the color DMD mod which was worth every penny, but wondering if this mod is worth the money.

#1552 3 years ago

I installed the PinGraffix blades, sword tip and shire patch. They look great. I took out mirror blades that came with the pin and put them in LAH. I don't care for the mirrors. I have PG blades in all my pins except LAH (none made) and TZ that had mirror blades when I picked it up.

#1553 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Question: does anyone have/prefer Path of the dead mod without LED's in the figures? The reason I ask is the cost of purchasing the supplies plus sending to someone to mod is over $200 and supplies can get for less than $100. I did the color DMD mod which was worth every penny, but wondering if this mod is worth the money.

i had the Path of the Dead mod installed on the last machine i had, with no leds and it was fine. The current one i have doesn't have the mod, but i am thinking of getting it. the install on the regular (non led) version is pretty simple, so i would install that until your confidence level increases to the point where you are comfortable doing the led kit.

#1554 3 years ago

My spinner snapped off last night. New one ordered. Is there any trick to putting the new one in? Or do you just kinda wedge/shove it in?

#1555 3 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Any one have any experience with the PinGraffix kit for LOTR? Thinking about the pinblades and noticed the "package" they sell. Wondering if the pingrill and other stickers are worth the additional $.....any thoughts? Thanks.

No offense to anyone that has them but 30 mountains spewing lava all over the place just does not remotely fit the theme for me. One mount doom and some other art would have been much better. I have their blades on every other game I have that doesn't have Stern blades available but I guess my LOTR just means too much to me being my first and a gift from my wife (or I'm that big of a Tolkien nerd). Thankfully after 13+ years, a set of blade art befitting an amazing pin was finally released:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-lord-of-the-rings-custom-side-board-decals

These things are absolutly amazing!

#1556 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

You may not be comfortable doing it yourself but it's really not that difficult with a little creativity. I bought the raw plastic, stand offs, and figs for under $20 and completed the mod. I left only one fig on however, three was a little crowded for my taste.

#1557 3 years ago

I thought I would posted this up on this thread as some of you guys might be interested in this mod. I had many dark nights with my LOTR and installed the Pin Stadium kit on LOTR. Here is a before and after, keep in mind that this pic is in a dark room and the camera made the playfield about 15% darker than it really looks. But you get the idea.

LOTR_before_after_pin_stadium (resized).png

#1558 3 years ago
Quoted from pinstadium:

I thought I would posted this up on this thread as some of you guys might be interested in this mod. I had many dark nights with my LOTR and installed the Pin Stadium kit on LOTR. Here is a before and after, keep in mind that this pic is in a dark room and the camera made the playfield about 15% darker than it really looks. But you get the idea.

I can almost "taste the rainbow". I don't seem to have this problem with my machine, but that may be because I used daylight and warm white LEDs mixed with some oranges and other colors where appropriate. People seem to want to put blue and green into this machine, but outside the path of the dead I don't see a place for green and blue just doesn't fit. Just my opinion.

#1559 3 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I can almost "taste the rainbow". I don't seem to have this problem with my machine, but that may be because I used daylight and warm white LEDs mixed with some oranges and other colors where appropriate. People seem to want to put blue and green into this machine, but outside the path of the dead I don't see a place for green and blue just doesn't fit. Just my opinion.

I have stock incandescent bulbs in my LOTR and I have never experienced dark areas that the ball cannot be clearly seen. If I ever did convert it to LEDs it would definitely be something like warm white retros to keep the foreboding mood and tone of the game.

#1560 3 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

It's configurable, you can just turn on warm whites only and control them from 0-100% with the app. The RGB is independent and can be dialed into any color at any brightness level, or can be turned off. So I think this would work great for you. I agree about the colors you mentioned to with the blue and green, they just aren't bright enough and the playfield does well with the ones with the ones you mentioned.

#1562 3 years ago
Quoted from joeraptor2003:

We now have animated LOTR PowerBladez if anyones interested...
» YouTube video
https://www.pingraffix.com/product-page/lord-of-the-rings-pinball-powerbladez
Best!
-JR

Those look incredible. Great job!!

#1563 3 years ago

» YouTube video
Best!
-JR

Those look unreal!
Does it make them much thicker and make it hard to get the playfield out at all?

#1564 3 years ago

Installed new spinner (old one broke) and finally destroyed the ring for the first time! What a light show and experience. Yes, I jumped up and down like a little kid. This is why I love pinball.

#1565 3 years ago

» YouTube video
Best!
-JR

The idea and technology are very impressive but the colors seem off to me. I would have liked a warmer / redder / more orange feel.

#1566 3 years ago

Yes, I have the Same view. They are too Blue, which is not the Game color. Red/orange is the Main Game color.

#1567 3 years ago

Need some guidance....
I had the weak left flipper thing going on so decided to rebuild flippers and replace cabinet switches. Bought p/n SW-10A-48 as they were suppose to be a replacement for the original p/n 180-5160-00 which was replaced by 500-6889-01. There is a stern bulletin 156 that talks about cabinet switches also.
The SW-10A -48 is different from the original cabinet switch....extra wafer so thicker and no cap. I did get them to work but don't think they are correct. Saw a "Paliney" switch which looked close. Anybody know the correct replacement for the cabinet switch?
Thanks in advance for the help.

#1568 3 years ago

Here is the correct switch for the cabinet buttons.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=597

#1569 3 years ago

anybody make decals that cover balrog drag on the playfield?

#1570 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

anybody make decals that cover balrog drag on the playfield?

yuck Not at the decal question, but that your machine has that dreaded wear

#1571 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thanks....actually had those in my cart but needed some reassuring ....I guess

#1572 3 years ago

I will order some Panels today

Euro 105,- free shiping to USA

1lord (resized).jpg

#1573 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

How does this install?

#1574 3 years ago

with double sided mirror tape

#1575 3 years ago

Just a picture of my ultimate LOTR ball hangup (I know there are many others, this one just made me smile) .

And of course at the end of a decent multiball!

And a bonus cross reference to the LOTR Habitrail mod thread, this helped me out though I definitely rolled that project out slowly on my end:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod

20160312_162125 (resized).jpg

20160312_162107 (resized).jpg

#1576 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Just a picture of my ultimate LOTR ball hangup (I know there are many others, this one just made me smile) .
And of course at the end of a decent multiball!
And a bonus cross reference to the LOTR Habitrail mod thread, this helped me out though I definitely rolled that project out slowly on my end:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod

Gasp, no color DMD?!?!? It adds a lot to this title, I highly recommend it

#1577 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I know but at ~$700Cad for one shipped with taxes I just can't justify it right now .

#1578 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I know but at ~$700Cad for one shipped with taxes I just can't justify it right now .

Ouch... however...

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

So true. I'd almost say LOTR requires one. Such a nice mod in this game.

#1579 3 years ago

So I had the game of my life today. 5 ball game but the action was all done at ball 4. Valinor!!!! I dtr all 4 times I went there. Crazy game. Played off and on all morning. First ball I couldn't hit a shot at first. Then all the multiballs went my way. I got one ball stuck behind the Balrog so that helped me finish fellowship (but I did it another time too). Wild game. Too fun. I confirmed that after you make it to Valinor, it all starts over (meaning you don't get to keep credit for finishing the multiballs--- I started them all one more time and dtr but was told I still had to complete fellowship).

IMG_1951 (resized).JPG

IMG_1953 (resized).JPG

IMG_1954 (resized).JPG

IMG_1955 (resized).JPG

#1580 3 years ago

congrats! That is an insane score.

#1581 3 years ago

That's so great.

How long did it take?

I wish I could do even half that well.

#1582 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

That's so great.
How long did it take?
I wish I could do even half that well.

Seconded, was that closer to an hour, or more like a 2 hour game ? . That's just nuts, but congrats!

#1583 3 years ago

Hi Everyone, just became a proud owner of lotr this past weekend. I have put a few games on it and just noticed this evening that the playfield shot lights go dark during the fellowship multuball and dont come back on until the last ball is drained. This includes after the multi ball is over, therefore i dont know what shots need to be hit. Anyone experience or heard of a similar problem? Does anyone have a thought on what the problem might be?

#1584 3 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

Hi Everyone, just became a proud owner of lotr this past weekend. I have put a few games on it and just noticed this evening that the playfield shot lights go dark during the fellowship multuball and dont come back on until the last ball is drained. This includes after the multi ball is over, therefore i dont know what shots need to be hit. Anyone experience or heard of a similar problem? Does anyone have a thought on what the problem might be?

Do you mean lit mode shots or ? Mode shots generally are not lit during the multiballs, though there are some exceptions I think (like ring frenzy?) that have "insert light priority" even over the multiballs.

Lots to learn about this game. Congrats on picking one up!

#1585 3 years ago

No shots are lit. I know that during fellowship the balrog center insert light should be lit. Also, when i hit balrog the ramp inserts should light up, but nothing. Also, after multi ball ends no inserts light up. This persists even if I start a new mode. It resets after I start a new ball. I searched for fellowship in previous posts and found one post that said they were having the same problem and it turned out to be the rom they were running. Im still running 4.xxx and for them upgrading to 10.xxx resolved the issue. I will order and post whether this resolves my issue.

#1586 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

only 1 left to order

1lord (resized).jpg

#1587 3 years ago
Quoted from Scot0308:

No shots are lit. I know that during fellowship the balrog center insert light should be lit. Also, when i hit balrog the ramp inserts should light up, but nothing. Also, after multi ball ends no inserts light up. This persists even if I start a new mode. It resets after I start a new ball. I searched for fellowship in previous posts and found one post that said they were having the same problem and it turned out to be the rom they were running. Im still running 4.xxx and for them upgrading to 10.xxx resolved the issue. I will order and post whether this resolves my issue.

It does sound like it may be old code.

#1588 3 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Seconded, was that closer to an hour, or more like a 2 hour game ? . That's just nuts, but congrats!

So it's sad that I have no idea how long the game took! I have to play between patients, a ball or two at a time (it's in my office). So it was spread out through the morning. I know I played about 30 minutes at lunch when Valinor went down. To be clear, my outlines are on easiest (they are still vacuums) and it was 5 ball.

Thanks for the kind words!

#1589 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

FYI....Just got the new switches and guess what....not the correct ones. The leaf spring is way too short to reach the button.

#1590 3 years ago
Quoted from kapsreiter:

only 1 left to order

Like the use of negative space.

#1591 3 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

Those look unreal!
Does it make them much thicker and make it hard to get the playfield out at all?

The PowerBladez are actually very thin. It's actually easier to install these then the PinBlade Decals. They just slip in between the play field into place and stick'em..your done.

#1592 3 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

FYI....Just got the new switches and guess what....not the correct ones. The leaf spring is way too short to reach the button.

The manual on page 63 says the flipper switches are item 23A part number 180-5160-00. Marco says use part SW-10A-48.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-10A-48

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=153

#1593 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The manual on page 63 says the flipper switches are item 23A part number 180-5160-00. Marco says use part SW-10A-48.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-10A-48
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=153

Posting this as FYI only....hopefully it helps someone.
I initially bought two SW-10A-48 based on the info I've seen. They looked good in the bag but had no caps...no big deal. But as I went to install them noticed they are thicker than the original so I removed a wafer, cut the plastic tubes, and installed them. They work but not without some bending and shaping. Wanted to try and put the correct switches in so ordered the http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=597 500-6889-01. These came with caps but are too short (2 3/4 in.) to reach the buttons. I assume I could mount them higher on the cabinet and get them to work. So....there is one left to try I think
SWITCH - FLIP CAB "PALINEY"
#500-6889-01
Single flipper button cabinet switch assembly with the new low-arcing "Paliney" alloy contacts.
Replaces:
500-6889-01
180-5160-00
Replaces the 500-6889-00....but these look too short also. Original switch is roughly 3.5 in long. I've attached a pic of my original switch and the 500-6889-01 switch. Welcome any comments and help.

IMG_5091 (resized).JPG

#1594 3 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Posting this as FYI only....hopefully it helps someone.
I initially bought two SW-10A-48 based on the info I've seen. They looked good in the bag but had no caps...no big deal. But as I went to install them noticed they are thicker than the original so I removed a wafer, cut the plastic tubes, and installed them. They work but not without some bending and shaping. Wanted to try and put the correct switches in so ordered the http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=597 500-6889-01. These came with caps but are too short (2 3/4 in.) to reach the buttons. I assume I could mount them higher on the cabinet and get them to work. So....there is one left to try I think
SWITCH - FLIP CAB "PALINEY"
#500-6889-01
Single flipper button cabinet switch assembly with the new low-arcing "Paliney" alloy contacts.
Replaces:
500-6889-01
180-5160-00
Replaces the 500-6889-00....but these look too short also. Original switch is roughly 3.5 in long. I've attached a pic of my original switch and the 500-6889-01 switch. Welcome any comments and help.

You could try prying the switch stack apart. Put the longer actuator leaf onto the stack with the correct cap and contacts. It was years ago when I replaced mine and I believe I went through the same trouble you're having.

#1595 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

You could try prying the switch stack apart. Put the longer actuator leaf onto the stack with the correct cap and contacts. It was years ago when I replaced mine and I believe I went through the same trouble you're having.

Good idea....thanks.

#1596 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I like this idea; better than my idea of just mounting this switch into new (slightly higher?) holes? I hate drilling cabinets when I don't have to; rebuilding the switches seems less risky.

#1597 3 years ago

Just joined the club, but I've been looking at mods and tweaks for quite awhile. Some amazing toys for this game.

I recently saw an apron mod, but I can't seem to find the post. It was black with the words "the lord of the rings" and had Golum's face translucent in the background. I don't think it was the expensive black mirror illuminated one. It looked more like a magnet overlay. Has anyone else seen this?

#1598 3 years ago

I want to ask a probably stupid question. Are there any lane indicators showing which members in the fellowship still need to be picked up? I don't think there are but want to make sure my game is operating right. I have a difficult time remembering and it is hard to read the names on the play field during a game. I not talking about the lights across at the middle of the playfield, but is there a light on each lane.

#1599 3 years ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

I want to ask a probably stupid question. Are there any lane indicators showing which members in the fellowship still need to be picked up? I don't think there are but want to make sure my game is operating right. I have a difficult time remembering and it is hard to read the names on the play field during a game. I not talking about the lights across at the middle of the playfield, but is there a light on each lane.

I think you pretty much have to memorize the character that each shot represents or read the inserts. Merry and Pippen (the two orbits) are really the only ones that are a little hard to remember which is which. Also you need to remember Boromir is the pop bumpers. Obviously, the middle playfield white inserts show which ones of the fellowship have already been gathered.

#1600 3 years ago

Thanks it does take a little bit of memorization. I thought as well but am kind of surprised they aren't better labeled.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 25.00
There are 6606 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 133.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside