IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 204.
#1251 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Wow. I was about to post the exact same thing. Literally replaced mine soon after buying. And 100 games later having the same issue!
The weird thing is is registered 100 percent of the time. Its just when it goes to kick the ball up it only kicks it half way in the air....
Tired about 15 times and then give an operator error. Thrn does ball search and kicks it up perfectly.
This is the same thing that happened when I got it and replacing it fixed the issue....
But what's actually happening here incorrectly? Why is the solenoid being so weak and what's it got to do with the switch?
Thanks.

Switch is separate from your Actual kick action. Look for loose bracket, wire on coil, etc. could be alignment or broken/loose wire

#1252 7 years ago

Hi everyone,

I joined the club with you all yesterday!

20161229_202201 (resized).jpg20161229_202201 (resized).jpg

20161230_091949 (resized).jpg20161230_091949 (resized).jpg

I was hoping that I could get some information from the group on some things on mods:

1. What are the more popular mods that are available for LOTR? Is there something that is considered a "must-have"? (Note, I already have a ColorDMD on the way). Things that look interesting to me are the POTD mod and the Palantir mod.

2. Are there parts specific to the game to keep on-hand? It seems that the VUK switches are a constant source of issue. Anything else noticeable?

3. One final question: I've noticed when the Balrog moves, the motor makes a pretty loud sound. Is that a normal sound? If not, is there any maintenance that can be done to decrease the sound. If needed, I can take a video to see if that's normal.

#1253 7 years ago

comment23 Welcome to the club! Here are a couple threads re #LOTR mods.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/best-mods-for-lotr

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-mods-2

Those forked VUK switches are to be kept on hand for sure. Nothing else LOTR-specific comes to my mind.

If my Balrog motor makes any noise, it must be getting drowned out by the "roar" sound effect. Never noticed much motor sound. FWIW.

#1254 7 years ago

This pinsider is selling some used LOTR plastics here if anyone needs them:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-plastics-1

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

Hi everyone,
I joined the club with you all yesterday!

I was hoping that I could get some information from the group on some things on mods:
1. What are the more popular mods that are available for LOTR? Is there something that is considered a "must-have"? (Note, I already have a ColorDMD on the way). Things that look interesting to me are the POTD mod and the Palantir mod.
2. Are there parts specific to the game to keep on-hand? It seems that the VUK switches are a constant source of issue. Anything else noticeable?
3. One final question: I've noticed when the Balrog moves, the motor makes a pretty loud sound. Is that a normal sound? If not, is there any maintenance that can be done to decrease the sound. If needed, I can take a video to see if that's normal.

Welcome to the club Comment23!

1)A color DMD was a great choice. It probably is one of the best mods for any game where available.
I personally love the POTD mod. I got mine from Hemi http://www.pinballrefinery.com/store#!/Complete-LOTR-Pinball-PoTD-modification/p/20527694/category=4730921
I also recently got the interactive sword mod from Modfather and love it. http://modfatherpinball.com/collections/mods/products/lotr-interactive-sword-mod
I have the eye planitir mod from Jay. Couldn't find the link but just do some searchng.
I really love the custom intereactive backbox from cointaker. Just email Chris and he can hook you up.
I bought a real cool topper that I made myself. Sauron helm and Chris from Cointaker made a custom interactive led that fit inside the helm and lights up. My favorite out of all of them. I think Lasseriffic does a great job with toppers so check out their site. Joe is really cool and may have a design not on his sites lineup. http://shop.laseriffic.com/collections/pinball-toppers/products/lord-of-the-rings
Speaker lights and acrylic inserts are real nice. I buy most of that stuff from cointaker.
There are so many cool mods out there but these are my favorites.
I just bought led leg protectors and shooter housing from mustangPaul and Beatmaster respectfully. Also picked up under cab lighting from Tim Mezel.

2) VUK switches are a issue. I replaced 2 on my machine but for having it 5 years not too bad.

3)My Balrog isn't really all that loud so you might want to check out for binding. In fact, I only really notice the motor when the game first boots up after that the speakers pretty much drown any sound out from the motor.

Enjoy the game! It's a great game even without any mods.

#1256 7 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

This could be a problem since those fork switches are so unreliable. Marco is oos, pbl has a few it looks like

Thanks for the heads up, I bought 2 for future need.

#1257 7 years ago

i bought a huo lotr sometime ago and had a question for the guys that have a colordmd in there game
which looks better in the game lcd or led? just not sure on this before i order one
thanks in advance for the input

#1258 7 years ago

LCD in mine and it looks awesome. Haven't seen an LED version in LOTR, but based on other impressions of LED displays, the brightness would be overpowered for the dark theme of this game. Can't imagine it would look good... but would love to hear from someone who has tried.

#1259 7 years ago

Scored two HUO LOTR with in three months. Passing one off to a good friend.

019 (resized).JPG019 (resized).JPG

#1260 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

LCD in mine and it looks awesome. Haven't seen an LED version in LOTR, but based on other impressions of LED displays, the brightness would be overpowered for the dark theme of this game. Can't imagine it would look good... but would love to hear from someone who has tried.

I've had the LED in mine for about a week and really like it. I did need to turn down the brightness quite a bit but all of the colors look great. The fiery eye of sauron and Balrog cuts look very nice and it makes the gold text really shine.

Don't really know how it directly compares to the LCD yet but after a few weeks, I'll probably swap it with the LCD that i have in WH2O to see which looks best in which game. It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but at this point the LCD in WH2O just looks a little washed out next to the LED in LotR now.

#1261 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

If you want to use the Hi-res or Scan modes, you'll need the LCD display. If you are going to stick with Dots, then you can use the LED display.

The video below shows what the LCD looks like in Scan mode...

#1262 7 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Thank you for asking - and sadly no answers as yet.
I was just playing mine - same thing. Every ring shot registered for mode start - magnet held the ball, then got to DTR, hit all the lit shots, lit the ring again, and went though that sucker about 5 times scoring 1 mil each time, but no progress towards destroying it. Any ideas?

Seems off, the magnet doesnt help, but if you get it through (even on the 1st ball in single ball mode) it should destroy the ring

#1263 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Switch is separate from your Actual kick action. Look for loose bracket, wire on coil, etc. could be alignment or broken/loose wire

Thanks. The issue is so temperamental. Which is what happen the first time. The coil and bracket look ok.
It just refused to kick up at all just now until 'coil malfunction.
Went to take video and it's started to work most of the time.

I went into switch test and noticed that when I press the switch with my finger it makes the switch sound once. When I roll the ball in it seems to go off about 3 times before kicking. The gimli switch does exactly the same thing but never has any issues kicking the ball up.

Here is a small video in switch test.

I have no issues replacing the switch again... Just don't want to keep doing it if it's something else. The switch arm does have a little bit of sideways action which I don't think it had when I replaced it.

#1264 7 years ago

Headed to Reno, NV (Mordor?) on a heroes journey right now. We'll see if anything ends up in the back of my truck

#1265 7 years ago

Hello,

Don't want to hijack any thread but not sure where I should post as a first time poster. Usually read some forums but don't post .
Any way....just bought a basket case LOTR and will be started the repair process. Hopefully with help from you guys I can keep the frustration down and have success. Apparently this machine was in Italy at one time so I have some major work to get back to where it should be. Thanks in advance for providing so much info on these games....BTW....my first pin....gotta love it.

IMG_4892 (resized).JPGIMG_4892 (resized).JPG

IMG_4893 (resized).JPGIMG_4893 (resized).JPG

#1266 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Headed to Reno, NV (Mordor?) on a heroes journey right now. We'll see if anything ends up in the back of my truck

Guys, it's official. I'm in love. <3

IMG_1707 (resized).JPGIMG_1707 (resized).JPG
IMG_1698 (resized).JPGIMG_1698 (resized).JPG

I've met the girl of my dreams, and her name is LOTR. Or Lotter. Something like that.

This was the holiest of grails for me. At least a 3-4 year wait. And it was worth it.

The journey to Mordor proved long and difficult, but we returned to the shire with a big stein of mead and a new beautiful friendship has blossomed.

IMG_0015 (resized).JPGIMG_0015 (resized).JPG
IMG_0017 (resized).JPGIMG_0017 (resized).JPG
IMG_0018 (resized).JPGIMG_0018 (resized).JPG
IMG_0020 (resized).JPGIMG_0020 (resized).JPG
IMG_0021 (resized).JPGIMG_0021 (resized).JPG
IMG_0024 (resized).JPGIMG_0024 (resized).JPG
IMG_0027 (resized).JPGIMG_0027 (resized).JPG
She's nearly perfect. I was shocked at how easily the leg bolts would unscrew on this one. I've never seen/had a second-hand HUO game where the leg bolts were basically finger tight once you did a quarter turn to loosen them!

This means nobody ever got that impatient and just stripped the leg bolt threads by forcing them. I will take care of this similarly. In fact, it didn't even have leg standoffs on it, and the cabinet art under the legs barely showed any wear.

Scott took really good care of her... and as far as me taking care of her now, "You have my sword."

IMG_1700 (resized).JPGIMG_1700 (resized).JPG
IMG_1701 (resized).JPGIMG_1701 (resized).JPG
IMG_1703 (resized).JPGIMG_1703 (resized).JPG
IMG_1704 (resized).JPGIMG_1704 (resized).JPG
IMG_1706 (resized).JPGIMG_1706 (resized).JPG
IMG_1708 (resized).JPGIMG_1708 (resized).JPG
IMG_1710 (resized).JPGIMG_1710 (resized).JPG
IMG_1712 (resized).JPGIMG_1712 (resized).JPG
IMG_1713 (resized).JPGIMG_1713 (resized).JPG

There are little spots of wear around the flipper buttons but tbh, that's the only flaw. Guess I could read up on one of vid's posts... maybe I'll "shoot it full of clear" or something... something nutty.

Proud to be among the fellowship of the ring here!

I mean... check out that ass! (ETA: The sticker at the top was just a random sales sticker it looks like, and all other "blemishes" just wiped off (dirt)).

IMG_1714 (resized).JPGIMG_1714 (resized).JPG

#1267 7 years ago
Quoted from gcmess:

Any way....just bought a basket case LOTR and will be started the repair process.

Quoted from chadderack:

Guys, it's official. I'm in love.

Welcome! So it begins.

#1268 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

I've met the girl of my dreams, and her name is LOTR

I keep coming back to this old girlfriend time after time after time. May the two of you live happily ever after.

#1269 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I keep coming back to this old girlfriend time after time after time. May the two of you live happily ever after.

Not sure what to think of this though

drugs.JPGdrugs.JPG

#1270 7 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Not sure what to think of this though

Custom message you can change or turn off.

#1271 7 years ago

I got a standard LOTR on July 31,2016. It is my all time favorite. I am having trouble locating a PAL chip to use with a shaker install. Pinbits no longer has them. Coin Taker has the motor and That Pinball Place has both rom's. I was also recently told this chip is not needed to run the motor. Any help to clear up what is needed to get this pin shaking is welcome.

#1272 7 years ago

My Gimli vuk has the second new switch I put in. The design is poor. If it goes again I am going to put a switch in like the one in the Star Trek pro left side vuk. I will have to modify the mounting bracket by cutting out a slot for the new type switch. The ball will activate the switch when it is sitting in the bowl on top of the switch. I think this will be more reliable.

#1273 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Custom message you can change or turn off.

I'm pretty sure he knew that.

#1274 7 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I am having trouble locating a PAL chip to use with a shaker install.

I believe it is needed. PALs are burned like ROMs.

If it came to it, you should be able to burn one yourself or find someone who can.

#1275 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Thanks. The issue is so temperamental. Which is what happen the first time. The coil and bracket look ok.
It just refused to kick up at all just now until 'coil malfunction.
Went to take video and it's started to work most of the time.
I went into switch test and noticed that when I press the switch with my finger it makes the switch sound once. When I roll the ball in it seems to go off about 3 times before kicking. The gimli switch does exactly the same thing but never has any issues kicking the ball up.
Here is a small video in switch test.
» YouTube video
I have no issues replacing the switch again... Just don't want to keep doing it if it's something else. The switch arm does have a little bit of sideways action which I don't think it had when I replaced it.

Just bend the leg of the switch up more so it gets a more solid push down on the switch. Struggles with the ball's travel will usually be the kicker's plunger not being centered on the ball (or the metal guide out of alignment).

#1276 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm pretty sure he knew that.

Well, RobT has a sense of humor

#1277 7 years ago

Hey guys, to be clear, are the movie multiball goals cumulative? In other words, if you start a movie multiball more than once, do you pick up where you left off?

#1278 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey guys, to be clear, are the movie multiball goals cumulative? In other words, if you start a movie multiball more than once, do you pick up where you left off?

The movie multiballs continue over to the next ball until you complete them and destroy the ring or not..

#1279 7 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

The movie multiballs continue over to the next ball until you complete them and destroy the ring or not..

It does save the progress with the caveat that the Return of the King only saves completed sets of the four shots.

#1280 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

It does save the progress with the caveat that the Return of the King only saves completed sets of the four shots.

Good clarification. If you finish one or two and then dtr does the incomplete one reset? Or will it continue with progress? Do you have to complete them all in the same dtr cycle to count toward valinor? Because there is no way I'm going to get all three done and then dtr without some continued progress...

#1281 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Good clarification. If you finish one or two and then dtr does the incomplete one reset? Or will it continue with progress? Do you have to complete them all in the same dtr cycle to count toward valinor? Because there is no way I'm going to get all three done and then dtr without some continued progress...

You have to win all the movie multiballs, but not in the same cycle leading up to the DTR. You could win Fellowship, then play DTR, then win the other two multiballs (TT and Return of the King) and destroy the ring. Then, if you have also already received 7 gifts from the elves and played There and Back Again you will go to Valinor when DTR is won.

#1282 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

You have to win all the movie multiballs, but not in the same cycle leading up to the DTR. You could win Fellowship, then play DTR, then win the other two multiballs (TT and Return of the King) and destroy the ring. Then, if you have also already received 7 gifts from the elves and played There and Back Again you will go to Valinor when DTR is won.

Ok. That is great clarification. Thanks again. Better get back to it. I'm finally getting pretty consistent beating tt. Still only beat fotr once. Not sure I've ever beat rotk. Any tips on those two miltiballs?

#1283 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Ok. That is great clarification. Thanks again. Better get back to it. I'm finally getting pretty consistent beating tt. Still only beat fotr once. Not sure I've ever beat rotk. Any tips on those two miltiballs?

ROTK is the bear of LOTR. During the multiballs try to get good at making shots without needing to look up. It needs to become instinct where to aim and take quick glances to see which shots need to be made. Also, don't use an add-on diverter that shifts the ball away from the shire on the path of the dead, and make sure your path of the dead is level or slightly leaning left to give a fair chance of the ball landing in the shire. It is ideal to get to ROTK three or four times in a good game to have a great chance of winning the multi-ball.

#1284 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

ROTK is the bear of LOTR. During the multiballs try to get good at making shots without needing to look up. It needs to become instinct where to aim and take quick glances to see which shots need to be made. Also, don't use an add-on diverter that shifts the ball away from the shire on the path of the dead, and make sure your path of the dead is level or slightly leaning left to give a fair chance of the ball landing in the shire. It is ideal to get to ROTK three or four times in a good game to have a great chance of winning the multi-ball.

Excellent tips. Thanks! I feel I have hope for valinor now that I know I can start each multiball a few times.

Another quick question. In the ents mode, is a shot to the right orbit always supposed to stick in the tower? Mine catches on something but always dribbles out the left orbit. Never goes into the tower. Is there a diverted up there that is not working?

#1285 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

In the ents mode, is a shot to the right orbit always supposed to stick in the tower? Mine catches on something but always dribbles out the left orbit. Never goes into the tower. Is there a diverter up there that is not working?

In short, yes:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-question-about-lotr-war-of-the-ents-mode

#1286 7 years ago

The LOTR flyer shows black flipper rubbers, so I assume they shipped with black?

I want to keep mine as close to factory as possible... but red looks so much better.

#1287 7 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

The LOTR flyer shows black flipper rubbers, so I assume they shipped with black?
I want to keep mine as close to factory as possible... but red looks so much better.

Use red Superbands (or any other color Superbands) and it will play fairly similar to the original black rubber.

#1288 7 years ago

I have black superbands on mine. One of the very few of my games that I left superbands on. They look and play great on LOTR.

#1289 7 years ago

Finally got another LOTR. Long story..

Anyways, I was thinking of trying out the etched gold mirror speaker acrylics on speakerlightkits.com. Has anyone else tried these? Pics perhaps?

Thanks!

#1290 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Finally got another LOTR. Long story..
Anyways, I was thinking of trying out the etched gold mirror speaker acrylics on speakerlightkits.com. Has anyone else tried these? Pics perhaps?
Thanks!

I believe that's the one I have. It's at my office. I'll take pics Monday if no one beats me to it.

#1291 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I believe that's the one I have. It's at my office. I'll take pics Monday if no one beats me to it.

Sweet.. Thank you.

#1292 7 years ago

A few weeks ago I replaced Q15 and Q16 transistors on my LOTR LE driver board (it's different than the standard edition).

Game played fine, no problems. Turn it on today and it starts a game then freezes up. I open up the head and whoa tons of lights are off!

No 5V, 20V, or 50V
F5,F7,F8,F10,F11 all blown

What da funk happened?! BR blow up maybe? Where should I start looking for trouble?

IMG_0729 (resized).JPGIMG_0729 (resized).JPG

#1293 7 years ago

Regarding my problem above, I just noticed I never fully screwed the board back in. It was just hanging on the screws. I'm guessing that might be part of the problem and could have cause a short or missed ground connection or something... Yay for fuck ups

#1294 7 years ago

Replaced all the blown switches and F11 the 5V Logic Power still blows about 10 seconds after powering on. Sure hope I didn't somehow fry the CPU.

#1295 7 years ago

Hi guys, joined the club recently and i'm very happy, LOTR is a really great game.
I would like to know something:
When you plunged the ball strong from the shooter lane or make a solid shot in the right orbit, is the ball supposed to touch sometime the right top side of the Orthanc tower then feed the left flipper? It slows the ball and it's not smooth, that bother me a little... I like clean and fast orbit shot and it's not the case here.
I rebuild the flippers and they are strong. So i will try to bend the right top ball guide to make the shot smoother but if it's "normal" maybe i will not.
Thanks

#1296 7 years ago

Should be clean.

#1297 7 years ago

Anyone have any suggestions for LEDs on LOTR?

I usually use the Comet frosted 2-LED bulbs in warm white. I like these LEDs bacause they are just a little brighter than incandescent and the warm white is not "too" white. I also like the Comet parts because I think they are reasonably priced and good quality. That being said, I tried some out on the inserts in front of the sword ramp and they are *barely* brighter than the stock bulbs. Except for the white insert. Plenty bright there.

I also don't want to go totally overboard either.

Oh, and are the non-ghosting LEDs good enough to take care of the ghosting problem on this game or is the OCDLED board actually needed.

Thanks.

#1298 7 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Anyone have any suggestions for LEDs on LOTR?
I usually use the Comet frosted 2-LED bulbs in warm white. I like these LEDs bacause they are just a little brighter than incandescent and the warm white is not "too" white. I also like the Comet parts because I think they are reasonably priced and good quality. That being said, I tried some out on the inserts in front of the sword ramp and they are *barely* brighter than the stock bulbs. Except for the white insert. Plenty bright there.
I also don't want to go totally overboard either.
Oh, and are the non-ghosting LEDs good enough to take care of the ghosting problem on this game or is the OCDLED board actually needed.
Thanks.

I used Comet's 2-SMD warm white bulbs for the GI, and Comet's 2-SMD color-matching bulbs for the inserts (except for the yellow inserts, where I substituted warm white instead). I'm very pleased with the result.

I also installed the LED-OCD board, which makes a huge difference for the fading and transitions of the light show on this particular pin. It's definitely worth the investment. Herg rocks!

#1299 7 years ago

OK...after three weeks working on the playfield I fired up the machine. But let me digress....was a Italian machine and the coin door was/is a disaster. I've disconnected the coin mech and and basically have everything just hanging there. Door closed still says insert coins. Door open looking for balls and counts down. Diagnostics seem to work with buttons. How can I put this thing in free play until I can get a door and harness? Any help would be appreciated....thanks.

#1300 7 years ago

Never mind....all good. Seems things are working....have to run through the diagnostics now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.