IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 204.
#1201 7 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Anyone with regrets going to LEDs instead of the stock incandescents? Everyone of my pins is LED'd, but my LOTR just looks so natural and at home in incandescents.

I'm very happy with LEDs, but you absolutely need an LED OCD. Without it, I had a ton of ghosting and things just didn't look right.

#1202 7 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Anyone with regrets going to LEDs instead of the stock incandescents? Everyone of my pins is LED'd, but my LOTR just looks so natural and at home in incandescents.

All my games are LED'd except LOTR. I love the warm glow of incandescents in this game.

#1203 7 years ago

Anyone here install the Modfather Interactive sword mod on their LOTR?

http://modfatherpinball.com/products/lotr-interactive-sword-mod

Of all the mods I am still wanting for mine, I'm thinking this one might be tops on the list, but I've only seen pics and not in person. Want to make sure it doesn't block to much because it appears to be quite a large object. I really don't care about seeing the balls in the sword trail below, but I don't want it to block the ringwraith, shooter lane, or anything else too much that it detracts. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I'm also looking to do the path of the dead with the translucent green armies of the dead figurines... and possibly a shooter rod, though can't decide between the red knob with gold ring or the round globe that looks like earth tone layers. Leaning toward red knob with gold ring, but again, haven't seen it in person.

Decisions, decisions!!

#1204 7 years ago

Is there any way to reset the 'destroy ring champion' I was testing the game once with glass off and it kept the time with no name.
I just went into 'reset high scores' to see of there was a sub menu... No menu, it took of 1 to 4. Left GC Atleast. Don't really want to do a factory reset since my GC game was pretty good!

#1205 7 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Agree, LOTR is my only pin with bulbs, flashers are Leds, also try this use yellow bulb condoms for under the brass ramps

#1206 7 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Agree, LOTR is my only pin with bulbs, flashers are Leds, also try this use yellow bulb condoms for under the brass ramps

Really? Even the bulb above the ring wraith on the right ramp? That fade is why I left it as the only incandescent in the game. Everything else is LED with a mix of daylight and warm white LEDs.

#1207 7 years ago

I've been asked to increase the difficulty on LOTR for an upcoming PAPA tourney. Aside from software and outlanes, I could use some creative suggestions to make game times shorter.

Thicker ramp entrance rubbers? Please let me know what you think...

#1208 7 years ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

I've been asked to increase the difficulty on LOTR for an upcoming PAPA tourney. Aside from software and outlanes, I could use some creative suggestions to make game times shorter.

Increase the pitch. Remove the outlane posts. Put thicker rubbers on the posts on the center ramp and right ramp. Adjust your sling sensitivity to make them hyper sensitive. Rebuild your flippers and make sure they snap.

#1209 7 years ago

Clean and wax the playfield. Also, set the tilt bob sensitive.

#1210 7 years ago

lighting flipper is the kicker but no out lane post and sensitive slings is the what drains most

#1211 7 years ago

Great advice, all. Removing outlane posts entirely just didn't occur to me. What are the thicker post rubbers? I feel like I've only seen one size, although I suppose there are the shorter, very slightly thicker yellow ones... and the upside-down cones.

#1212 7 years ago

https://vimeo.com/34448364

This is footage of a LOTR at PAPA. They talk about all the things that make it harder. Take note that with the removed outlane posts they actually reduce the tilt sensitivity to allow the possibility of some nudge saves.

#1213 7 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

All my games are LED'd except LOTR. I love the warm glow of incandescents in this game.

You can have an even warmer glow with LEDs if you use the right ones...

#1214 7 years ago

Great advice, all. Removing outlane posts entirely just didn't occur to me. What are the thicker post rubbers? I feel like I've only seen one size, although I suppose there are the shorter, very slightly thicker yellow ones... and the upside-down cones.

those:
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=65
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=537

#1215 7 years ago

Hey guys, does anyone have a difinitive list of ways to get extra balls on this game? I've done a lot of searching and can't find anything. I'm going to need a bunch of extras if im ever going to get to Valinor.

#1216 7 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Hey guys, does anyone have a difinitive list of ways to get extra balls on this game? I've done a lot of searching and can't find anything. I'm going to need a bunch of extras if im ever going to get to Valinor.

From my experience:
After 5 hits to Barad Dur (varies depending on difficulty setting I think). And again after many many more but I haven't got to that number yet.
Random - Shire Mystery Awards Extra Ball and Special which can be set to award extra ball.
Gift of the Elves awards by completion of modes or multi balls - extra ball and special.

Any others I missed?

#1217 7 years ago

You can get an extra ball by completing at least 2 of the 4 circuits of ring frenzy or super ring frenzy and then hitting the center shot to complete the mode. You need to get the extra ball in the same turn as you light it, it wont carry over to the next ball.

#1218 7 years ago
Quoted from db666:

After 5 hits to Barad Dur (varies depending on difficulty setting I think). And again after many many more but I haven't got to that number yet.

mine is set to 7 hit and I think after that it's like 30-70? It shows in PAPA's Mark attempt to do Valinor

#1219 7 years ago

Anyone have a spare shire VUK plastic number "-20" shown in the pic?

Let me know if you have an unused one or used unbroken one your willing to part with. Thanks!

SHIRE PLASTIC (resized).jpgSHIRE PLASTIC (resized).jpg

#1220 7 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Not with the cointaker warm whites. My TZ and HS2 look ghetto now with the other LED games next to them.

#1221 7 years ago

@ Neal_W:

I also looking for this... If i could get a scan i would try to create an repro.

#1222 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Let me know if you have an unused one or used unbroken one your willing to part with. Thanks!

That is the exact plastic I broke after installing the PBL stronger flipper coils! I had to buy an entire plastic set just to get the one plastic. I swapped the normal coil back into the right flipper and left the stronger coil on the left.

#1223 7 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I swapped the normal coil back into the right flipper and left the stronger coil on the left.

Yup, I might end up doing that too. (or probably the medium coil mentioned on the previous page)

#1224 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That plastic breaks due to the bounce down from the path of the dead along with the crappy rivet placement. I removed the rivets and replaced with screws and nylon nuts and at the bottom where the screws go into the playfield, I put two L brackets that absorb the hit.

#1225 7 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

That plastic breaks due to the bounce down from the path of the dead along with the crappy rivet placement. I removed the rivets and replaced with screws and nylon nuts and at the bottom where the screws go into the playfield, I put two L brackets that absorb the hit.

Did you have some pictures??

#1226 7 years ago

Someone on this thread already had the cool idea to put more wraiths in the game, so I decided to do it as well. If anyone wants the drawing for the clear plastic plate feel free to PM me and I'll send it to you, if there's enough interest I can see if Laseriffic will cut them.

Easy install - I just removed the four nuts off of the top of the sword handle plastic, added 4 spacers (with male and female ends), the plastic and then the nuts. Figures are held in place with 3M Command adhesive (removeable by pulling on it with zero residue behind). Figures are from the same AOME collection. I did the same thing with the Sauron figure - just used some 3M Command and stuck him right on top of one of the lane guides, as well as the POTD figures on top of pinbits' plastic. The ambient light from the POTD lights seems to light the dudes up pretty well without LEDs underneath them. A much cheaper option if you don't want the deluxe POTD mod.

20161210_204122 (resized).jpg20161210_204122 (resized).jpg
20161210_204028 (resized).jpg20161210_204028 (resized).jpg

#1227 7 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Did you have some pictures??

I'll try to take some better ones later in the week, but here is one where you can see the two little L brackets. They absorb the impact of the ball. If your plastic didn't already break around the left rivet, this should prevent it from cracking.

LOTR Left VUK (resized).jpgLOTR Left VUK (resized).jpg

#1228 7 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Someone on this thread already had the cool idea to put more wraiths in the game, so I decided to do it as well.

Those two wraiths look absolutely sick there!! Awesome mod and a must have for my LOTR.

#1229 7 years ago

LOTR LE . LED Conversion

100_0044 (resized).JPG100_0044 (resized).JPG

#1230 7 years ago

I'm reading the rules again now that I've had the game a short time.

I'm curious if people gave the cave troll part allowed on the FotR MB?

Also what the easiest and hardest ring modes?

I guess Ents is the easiest and Witch King hardest ?

#1231 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm reading the rules again now that I've had the game a short time.
I'm curious if people gave the cave troll part allowed on the FotR MB?
Also what the easiest and hardest ring modes?
I guess Ents is the easiest and Witch King hardest ?

I leave the Cave Troll part on. I think it is fun to just wail away for a minute and I like the Boromir call out. As a downside, I think it can eat up your ball save.

Ents is regularly doable and I may finish Escape the Ringwraiths more often. Even though the shots are a little harder, it is only four total. I'll have to check the audits to see.

I feel like I will reach Valinor before defeating the Witch King, but making him pretty much impossible to beat does fit perfectly with Lord of the Rings lore, "...not by the hand of man will he fall." I'll give myself a wedgie for dropping that quote.

#1232 7 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

LOTR LE . LED Conversion

Looks awesome. What kit did or whose bulbs did you use?

#1233 7 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

I feel like I will reach Valinor before defeating the Witch King

Start a multiball (Fellowship MB makes sense) immediately after starting witch king mode. (this was posted a few pages back, and helps me kill that flying monster.)

I have not researched much LotR strategy, but since you can always start a MB after starting a ring mode, I always do it in that order. (AKA stacking) Hit Elf rings to light "start mode", then start the mode, and usually end up qualifying and starting a MB while working on a ring mode. Once the MB is started, I concentrate on the MB goal, since you have to complete all 3 MB objectives to reach Valinor, and I often happen to complete the ring modes while working on the MB objectives. (You must complete the MB objectives, not the ring mode objectives to reach Valinor.)

#1234 7 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Start a multiball (Fellowship MB makes sense) immediately after starting witch king mode. (this was posted a few pages back, and helps me kill that flying monster.)
I have not researched much LotR strategy, but since you can always start a MB after starting a ring mode, I always do it in that order. (AKA stacking) Hit Elf rings to light "start mode", then start the mode, and usually end up qualifying and starting a MB while working on a ring mode. Once the MB is started, I concentrate on the MB goal, since you have to complete all 3 MB objectives to reach Valinor, and I often happen to complete the ring modes while working on the MB objectives. (You must complete the MB objectives, not the ring mode objectives to reach Valinor.)

I hear ya, I think I was part of that last discusion too

Stacking a MB with Witch King just feels like a waste to me; the mode is just very demanding even with the help of a MB. Gandalf vs Sauruman is one I like to pair with FOTR.

#1235 7 years ago

Anyone put one of the ColorDMD Led diplays in their LotR? If so, can you say how it compares to the LCD?

#1236 7 years ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Looks awesome. What kit did or whose bulbs did you use?

Thank you . I don't use kits . I hand pick all my LED's . LOTR has clear inserts so I used different colors for the character inserts and the mode inserts . Color matched the rest . Incandescent 'orange' for the nine GI inserts along the shooter lane . LED do not work there as they flicker to much . Around the Ring hole on back board use Incandescent of the modes as well they flicker to much. I do not use OCD board or what ever it is called . You may opt to. Under Right ramp I used CoinTaker Ultra Brite Orange 47 GI Under and off to left of Center Ramp CoinTaker Red 47 Ultra Brite LED . Shooter lane SKILL Shot x3 inserts I used PinBalllife slowfade Color changing LED . The rest of the LED came from Germany The PinballCenter T10 Nofix Superflux they give a great color spectrum for clear inserts . Link : http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/noflix-pinball-leds/wedge-base-t10/superflux/341/t10-noflix-plus-turquoise-l-superflux?c=2917
Coin Taker Ultra Link http://cointaker.com/t/ultra Art at CometPinball now carries the German SuperFlux style of Bulb now. He would be an good vender . CometPinball was not formed yet when I did my LED Conversion . Comet Link to Superflux :
http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1-flux-wired.htm One Note : The Link to German style SuperFlux all have extended wires . That is just an example . They also come as a normal 555/47 with out the extended wire . Most of the inserts will use the same SuperFlux but with out the extended wire . Link http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1-flux.htm I hope this helps you out . Rob Knapp

100_0027 (resized).JPG100_0027 (resized).JPG
100_0025 (resized).JPG100_0025 (resized).JPG
100_0024 (resized).JPG100_0024 (resized).JPG

#1237 7 years ago

Can someone please confirm what belongs on this gate switch. Is it just some nuts, or more hex posts? I'd appreciate any pictures of this area or the wraith area/side view next to the cabinet. Thanks.

LOTR (resized).jpgLOTR (resized).jpg

#1238 7 years ago

A hex post on mine. Looks to be about 1.5" long or so. The wires from the ring wraith flasher and switch appear to be zip tied around the hex post to probably prevent pinching when raising/lowering the playfield.

IMG_2766 (resized).jpgIMG_2766 (resized).jpg

#1239 7 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

please confirm what belongs on this gate switch

Yes, a post that sticks up about 35mm. (looks like I also have a broken wire keeper there, but the wire is not currently routed that way)

gate (resized).JPGgate (resized).JPG

#1240 7 years ago

Perfect, thank you. As usual I did not take quite as many photos as needed during teardown.

#1241 7 years ago

I joined the club last weekend. I've been playing a buddy's machine about once a month for the last year, and I think he's getting annoyed at seeing my initials clogging up his leaderboard. So he helped me find my own. It's a two-owner HUO game from late 2005. It's in great shape. It's mostly LEDs, and only a few mods. There is an LED topper, and it has the stickers on the four targets. I'm not sure, but I do think there is an extra plastic piece on top of Arwen. I traded a non-functioning Sorcerer that I'd been storing and a bunch of cash, but I hope to get much of the cash back this week as I have someone coming to take my Monopoly (Nov 2001) away. I'll miss it, as it is the only NIB pin I've owned, but frankly I've stopped playing it.

I'm a player and not a collector. That said, I'll probably put in a Color DMD (my friend has one and it looks fantastic). The machine already has lollipops, but I might add LED flipper buttons just for the look.

The only issues I've identified so far is that it looks like there's a flasher behind the ring. If there is, mine isn't working. It also took me going into the test mode to figure out that there is, in fact, a light inside the Balrog. It works, but you can't see it while playing the game. I'll have to experiment with something brighter.

I've got most of the settings at the default except for I've got it on 5 ball. It'll stay there until I get to Valinor, then I might move it to 3 ball. The audits tell me I'm averaging over two minutes/ball, but I don't see that as a problem. If I want a hit and run game, I'll just play my precious - Sorcerer.

It's taken me a few days to make it through all 25 pages. Interesting reading. I'll get around to posting some photos soon enough. Cheers

#1242 7 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

LOTR LE . LED Conversion

I can almost taste the rainbow.

#1243 7 years ago

I'm getting air balls on left ramp shots -- but not on the wire form (I fixed that with a self-made poly protector). The ball is somehow jumping to to loop. Any idea what could be causing this? I can fix it with foam, but I'll probably make a cover for that whole area eventually unless there's another known fix. Have the high power coils in there btw.

#1244 7 years ago

Have the high power coils in there btw.

There is the cause.

#1245 7 years ago

Modified back box, tube replaced with led strips, eye flashes when tower shot is hit. Color changers. hard backbox to mod as its a pretty dark translite, but still much more vivid than with the tube.

#1246 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I've had to replace my Shire VUK switch twice in the last 2 years. I've only had to adjust my Golum VUK switch in the same period, but haven't had to replace it.

I replaced my Shire VUK and it's flaking out again less than 3 months later. It's weird because it clicks (adjusted properly) but flat out doesn't register maybe 15% of the time.

I saw in this thread that the diode should be removed from the pinball life replacement. I don't remember if I did this or not when I installed the replacement. Would it have an effect on the longevity/reliability of the switch if left on? Any suggestions on taking care of this once and for all? Thanks!

#1247 7 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

I replaced my Shire VUK and it's flaking out again less than 3 months later. It's weird because it clicks (adjusted properly) but flat out doesn't register maybe 15% of the time.
I saw in this thread that the diode should be removed from the pinball life replacement. I don't remember if I did this or not when I installed the replacement. Would it have an effect on the longevity/reliability of the switch if left on? Any suggestions on taking care of this once and for all? Thanks!

these Y fork switches have just been notoriously unreliable since the beginning. They fail often.

#1248 7 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

The diode should not be removed if you have a standard LOTR, only when you have an LE should it be removed.

The microswitches with the fork seem to go bad easily. It is a poor design. When hit by the ball, the fork causes a side-to-side twisting movement on the microswitch casing and that appears to cause the failures inside the switch.

#1249 7 years ago

This could be a problem since those fork switches are so unreliable. Marco is oos, pbl has a few it looks like

Screenshot_2016-12-30-00-25-47 (resized).pngScreenshot_2016-12-30-00-25-47 (resized).png

#1250 7 years ago
Quoted from JordanB:

Wow. I was about to post the exact same thing. Literally replaced mine soon after buying. And 100 games later having the same issue!

The weird thing is is registered 100 percent of the time. Its just when it goes to kick the ball up it only kicks it half way in the air....
Tired about 15 times and then give an operator error. Thrn does ball search and kicks it up perfectly.
This is the same thing that happened when I got it and replacing it fixed the issue....
But what's actually happening here incorrectly? Why is the solenoid being so weak and what's it got to do with the switch?

Thanks.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/25?hl=cyw6850 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.