lord1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0841 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0840 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2852 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240315-080536 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 203.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Thank you for asking - and sadly no answers as yet.
I was just playing mine - same thing. Every ring shot registered for mode start - magnet held the ball, then got to DTR, hit all the lit shots, lit the ring again, and went though that sucker about 5 times scoring 1 mil each time, but no progress towards destroying it. Any ideas?

On mine I wasn't making it through the ring at all. Since the magnet doesn't activate then, it wouldn't pull it in. Now that i've been playing more, I've found you just have to make sure it's a good shot. I DTR many times last night without a problem.

1 month later
#52 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

1) Complete FOTR MB (All eight members+Gandalf Balrog Strike),
achieve Super Jackpots for an Elf Gift at minimum
2) Complete TTT MB (Survive the Assault to the end, new level every 5
jackpots achieved), achieve Super Jackpots for an Elf Gift at minimum
3) Complete ROTK MB (All Seven Levels), achieve Super Jackpots for an
Elf Gift at minimum
4) Play all 6 Rings Modes (Completion not required)
5) Play There and Back Again (Completion not required)
6) Collect all six Elf Gifts
7) Destroy the Ring (2X Required, or ONCE if you are SUPER SUPER HOT!)
Valinor starts automatically the moment you have destroyed the ring AFTER having achieved goals 1-6 above.
Basically you should play through all the modes before starting the last of the three main multiballs. If you by mistake start all three multiballs without having played all the modes you can back out of "Destroy the Ring" by starting Gollum Multiball (which will change the ring shot from "Destroy the Ring" to "Mode Start" for the time Gollum Multiball is active). This makes sense to go for if you only have one or two modes left to play. If there are to many unplayed modes left it makes more sense to destroy the ring once, finish the modes and play all main mulitballs again.

FYI, there is a "secret" 7th Elf Gift that must be acquired before reaching Valinor.

Source: Keefer

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/valinor-awaits-but#post-2162216

It lights the "Gift" arrow itself, and it triggers a cool secret mode.

1 week later
#53 9 years ago

Hey guys -

I should be getting my LOTR on Sunday. Any stuff I should look at or adjust first thing to get started?

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Hey guys -
I should be getting my LOTR on Sunday. Any stuff I should look at or adjust first thing to get started?

Get the Palantir mod! The game is not complete without it!

Other than that at least my LotR is a very reliable game, never had any problems except the rear stop post not stopping the ball correctly in "War of the Ents".

#55 9 years ago

As mentioned above, you'll probably need to add some rubber onto that pop-up post in the orbit to get War of the Ents to work correctly. It also helps when initiating ROTK multiball.

I'd recommend the target decal set if your game doesn't have it. It's like 20 bucks. The patantir mod is nice, but expensive.

Make sure that the spinner for the ring shot is aligned properly as a misaligned spinner can lead to confusing issues.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Hey guys -
I should be getting my LOTR on Sunday.

Congrats man, I'm glad you found one.

Just to add a few more things. I'd upgrade the flipper coils to pinball life's LOTR coils. I'd also make sure the left side ring ramp post has been upgraded to keep your ring ramp from getting damaged. Pinball life sells the fix for that as well. lotr_post.jpglotr_post.jpg

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

As mentioned above, you'll probably need to add some rubber onto that pop-up post in the orbit to get War of the Ents to work correctly. It also helps when initiating ROTK multiball.

Aha! How does this "rubber-fix" work? I only just learned about the "tilt the whole post assembly by adding washers unter the front screws so that the post tilts towards the front of the game" fix. Haven't done it yet, so any easier fix is welcome.

#58 9 years ago

Thanks guys. The game comes with a new spinner I can install, as well as a new plastic ring scoop. I sort of want a color DMD at some point...Haven't seen that talked about much on this game.

I will purchase the upgraded coils and that post, thanks! What about the PotD mod? Is there a kit for that or can you make your own? Also, there is some wear at the back of the shire scoop from flipper huts. Is there a protector for that? Or maybe that's a fix I can do myself somehow?

Is there a picture of the rubber post fix by chance?

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Also, there is some wear at the back of the shire scoop from flipper huts. Is there a protector for that? Or maybe that's a fix I can do myself somehow?

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=30&pg=1

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

sort of want a color DMD at some point...Haven't seen that talked about much on this game.

Trust me, you don't sort of want the color DMD, YOU NEED IT. HAHA. But seriously, with the recent updates, it looks really amazing.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

What about the PotD mod?

Pinbits has the mounting kit I have on mine. You can find the figures on Amazon.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

there is some wear at the back of the shire scoop from flipper huts. Is there a protector for that?

Cliffy makes a protector for this, the Gimli hole, and Orthanc Tower. Pinbits plastic protector kit is also a nice touch.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Thanks guys. The game comes with a new spinner I can install, as well as a new plastic ring scoop. I sort of want a color DMD at some point...Haven't seen that talked about much on this game.

The ColorDMD for LOTR is probably the best mod available for this game, IMO. Absolutely stunning!

Quoted from nicoga3000:

I will purchase the upgraded coils and that post, thanks! What about the PotD mod? Is there a kit for that or can you make your own? Also, there is some wear at the back of the shire scoop from flipper huts. Is there a protector for that? Or maybe that's a fix I can do myself somehow?

Steve Groothuis at Pinball Refinery makes a nice PotD mod. I have one and can personally vouch for it's quality.

http://pinballrefinery.bravesites.com/store#!/Complete-LOTR-Pinball-PoTD-modification/p/20527694/category=4730921

FYI, it says it is "In Stock" on the above page, but "(Sold Out), Taking Pre-orders for next Production Run" on the "Sample Videos of Our Mods" page. I would contact Steve via email to determine current status.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Aha! How does this "rubber-fix" work? I only just learned about the "tilt the whole post assembly by adding washers unter the front screws so that the post tilts towards the front of the game" fix. Haven't done it yet, so any easier fix is welcome.

Take a standard black post rubber, cut it down so that it fits through the playfield while on the post. IIRC, I basically cut a post rubber in half and shaved down the overall thickness of it with a razor blade.

Both solutions are viable, IMO.

#64 9 years ago

Count me as a vote AGAINST the pinball life enhanced coils. They are not needed and make the flippers way too powerful. My LOTR came with them and I couldn't get them off fast enough. YMMV.

Also, with regards to the spinner, having a brand new spinner alone will not solve all issues. The key is that it is aligned properly and not tilted too far in either direction.

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Count me as a vote AGAINST the pinball life enhanced coils. They are not needed and make the flippers way too powerful. My LOTR came with them and I couldn't get them off fast enough. YMMV.

FWIW, I have the PBL upgraded coils AND two cooling fans under the playfield. Coil fade becomes obvious during lengthy games, even with the upgraded coils. It not only affects whether you can hit the One Ring consistently, but it also affects the accuracy of all of the other shots on the playfield. JMHO.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

FWIW, I have the PBL upgraded coils AND two cooling fans under the playfield. Coil fade becomes obvious during lengthy games, even with the upgraded coils. It not only affects whether you can hit the One Ring consistently, but it also affects the accuracy of all of the other shots on the playfield. JMHO.

I don't intend to get that far anytime soon, but can you take a picture of your cooling setup? I may take this route.

Also, wasn't there a guy who did a custom PotD mod for considerably cheaper?

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Thank you for asking - and sadly no answers as yet.
I was just playing mine - same thing. Every ring shot registered for mode start - magnet held the ball, then got to DTR, hit all the lit shots, lit the ring again, and went though that sucker about 5 times scoring 1 mil each time, but no progress towards destroying it. Any ideas?

I am no expert in this game. I had a similar problem. I think it was the result of the switch after the ring not registering the ball. This switch is located a 4 cm to the right of the ring hole behind the back board. Just bend the switch down a little with your finger or a switch leaf tool. It is easier to get to if you pull the PF up and angle it so it rests on the side rails. Put a towel down on the rail first and have an extra set of hands to help you angle the to the right resting on the right side rail.
Good luck.

#68 9 years ago

Great Tip, will look into this mine had the same issue when DTR

#69 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

FWIW, I have the PBL upgraded coils AND two cooling fans under the playfield. Coil fade becomes obvious during lengthy games, even with the upgraded coils.

Must vary from machine to machine. Obviously, I have plenty of long games on LOTR. I can easily make the ring shot from either flipper with standard coils, even 45 minutes into a game.

Quoted from Razorbak86:

It not only affects whether you can hit the One Ring consistently, but it also affects the accuracy of all of the other shots on the playfield. JMHO.

Exactly, you are "fixing" an issue with one shot (ring) and in turn, messing with all of the other shots. Making them overly easy is not a good thing, IMO. My Legolas ramp was stupid easy with the upgraded coils, no challenge at all. It might make the Gimli shot tougher, at least. Lol.

The ring shot is greatly affected by the spinner, all of my "difficult ring shot" issues were resolved by making sure that the spinner is properly aligned. If the spinner is leaning backwards, the ring isn't going to shoot very nicely.

Definitely sounds like some machines need the coils, I just haven't found that to be the case with my own HUO 2004 LOTR.

I'd love to hear keefers thoughts on the upgraded coils, if he can spare a moment or two.

#70 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Exactly, you are "fixing" an issue with one shot (ring) and in turn, messing with all of the other shots.

No, the fans are preventing coil fade during long games. Coil fade (not coil strength) affects the accuracy of ALL of the shots on the table.

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Pindufus: did you hook yours to only the flasher? I have seen people a while back either hook it to GI or a the flasher, but not both like I did. There is orange GI lighting it, like in the first two photos, and then the red high power with a cone flashlight reflector in the mouth attached to the flasher, like in the last pic.
Took me a total of 10 hours to complete, what a PITA, but man, am I happy with the results.

Only to the flasher. Pretty easy to do with the flasher kit that's available. I wouldn't have a clue how to get the GI to work with it but that would be cool.

#72 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

No, the fans are preventing coil fade during long games. Coil fade (not coil strength) affects the accuracy of ALL of the shots on the table.

The fans make sense to me, if your machine needs them.

#73 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Per my email, I'd love to see pics of what I can expect to do to keep the coil fade down.

#74 9 years ago

I made my topper, I'm away on spring break, will ad pics when I return. Check eBay for "crack of doom" statue done by Sideshow. They do great work. I have flickering LEDs from a collerado train company plus a few extra reds and an orange to light it up. Flicker mimics moving fire or lava, nice effect. Then I wired a couple of flashers from the destroy the ring flasher to the top if the pin, pointed at Gilliam and frodo so when you go into destroy the ring mod, everyone in the room knows it. Very bright, very cool. All tolled, cost less than $100.

#75 9 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Per my email, I'd love to see pics of what I can expect to do to keep the coil fade down.

Sorry, man. I'm away from home right now, so I can't take pics, but my setup is very similar to the one described by MRWIZZO in the following thread, which was my original inspiration...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-flipper-cooling-fans

#76 9 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Sorry, man. I'm away from home right now, so I can take pics, but my setup is very similar to the one described by MRWIZZO in the following thread, which was my original inspiration...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-flipper-cooling-fans

This is fantastic, thank you mate!

#77 9 years ago

The Professor Pinball Team just finished writing the code for some lighting effects tied into gameplay for LOTR using the Pinduino. I really like how it turned out. Thought folks watching this thread might enjoy seeing this. The code is easily modified (and freely available: http://goo.gl/AdgGNg) so if you have any ideas on how to make it better, please let me know.

#78 9 years ago

Hey guys just wanted to chime in and say it's possible to hook up cooling fans without permanently altering your game by screwing the fans in. I simply used two zip ties per fan and attached right to the coil stops (see two blue zip ties). Easily removable by cutting the zip tie. The pictures here are from my Simpsons Pinball Party but I have done the exact same thing on my LOTR. All fans connect together under the playfield and plug into the 12v adapter in the coin door. That USB cord is from my LED OCD board and unrelated.

IMG_20141228_160653.jpgIMG_20141228_160653.jpgIMG_20141228_163516.jpgIMG_20141228_163516.jpgIMG_20141228_163600.jpgIMG_20141228_163600.jpgIMG_20141228_163733.jpgIMG_20141228_163733.jpg

#79 9 years ago

Just picked mine up last night. First pin..

The person I bought it from got it new and due to a medical issue shortly thereafter, was unable to play the game again. It has a few hundred plays now, including what we have put on it over the last 24 hours. Bit dusty, but really nice! Price was right to say the least...

I need to read up on how to update the code as he never did it and it is a late 2005 release. I also want to turn off the knocker as that noise is just awful...

A few items I'm hunting for. I see a lot of posts regarding them, but they are kind of old so I'm not sure what is still available these days.

I saw the POTD mod which looks cool - not sure it's $240 cool, but maybe. The drops have zero wear, so I suppose I should get some cliffys? Any cool toppers still being produced? How about shooter rods? I'm not a fan of the LEDs based on some vids I have seen. Given the colors of the game, I'm not really sold on the color DMD either. The original just seems to fit the look better imo.

Any other "must haves"? Thanks!

IMG_1868.JPGIMG_1868.JPG IMG_1869.JPGIMG_1869.JPG IMG_1871.JPGIMG_1871.JPG
#80 9 years ago

Real nice pick up,
IMHO Bulbs look way better than Leds in this machine, Even tho i luv Led's & i put them everything, Throw in some Led Flashes for sure, i put a 5 sided Red Led in behind the ring,
I full cliffy set is a wise move with shooter lane kit, I got Joe to make up a topper, simple design but effective its on the 1st page here,
I'm staying away from to many mods
color DMD looks Ace worth every cent Its the Best Mod of them all & you will not regret it

link to the shooter rods, i have a Dagger handle looks good but it a bit of a pain spins around alittle while playing & gets in the way

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-lotr-shooter-rod

Also mine came with mirror blades Ok i guess, Has also speaker light kit with inserts Ok but not a must

#81 9 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Real nice pick up,
IMHO Bulbs look way better than Leds in this machine, Even tho i luv Led's & i put them everything, Throw in some Led Flashes for sure, i put a 5 sided Red Led in behind the ring,
I full cliffy set is a wise move with shooter lane kit, I got Joe to make up a topper, simple design but effective its on the 1st page here,
I'm staying away from to many mods
color DMD looks Ace worth every cent Its the Best Mod of them all & you will not regret it
link to the shooter rods, i have a Dagger handle looks good but it a bit of a pain spins around alittle while playing & gets in the way
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-lotr-shooter-rod
Also mine came with mirror blades Ok i guess, Has also speaker light kit with inserts Ok but not a must

Who makes the speaker lights with LOTR specific inserts? When you mention the shooter lane protector, are you talking about this?
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2120

Thanks

#82 9 years ago

pretty sure it came from here,

http://www.speakerlightkits.com/

shooter lane set came from Mr Cliffy, rail guard & shooter lane @ bottom both sides,

http://www.passionforpinball.com/ballejects.htm

#83 9 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Take a standard black post rubber, cut it down so that it fits through the playfield while on the post. IIRC, I basically cut a post rubber in half and shaved down the overall thickness of it with a razor blade.
Both solutions are viable, IMO.

Thanks for this! Used a standard post rubber, worked right "out of the box" without shaving down thickness.

After this fix I finally understand why the Orthanc diverter closes whenever the loop diverter post goes up.

#84 9 years ago

I want one so bad. Just a beautiful pin and so deep.

#85 8 years ago

Hey guys,

I am admittedly terrible at pinball since this is my first one. I'm finding it hard to avoid the left and right side drains. I see that the post there has an option for 3 locations. Mine are set at the top right now. Is this where they should be or do you guys move them down some? Is there an "official setting"?

Thx.

#86 8 years ago

If you are having trouble reaching lots of modes or destroying the ring, you should probably move them in (down) to make the outlane gaps smaller and prolong your ball times.

LOTR is a long game though, so on my personal machine, I would want the outlane posts to be set as you currently have them - or removed altogether.

I'm the 3rd owner on mine, so I'm not sure what the factory setting was.

#87 8 years ago

I finally completed There And Back Again (TABA) for the very first time this weekend, and I did it, surprisingly, with a stacked Gollum Multiball.

Now that my skills have improved, I reach TABA pretty frequently, but because it's a high-risk mode (multiple Ring shots required) and completion is not necessary to reach Valinor, I often play it conservatively just to avoid drains. So I had no idea that Gollum could be stacked with TABA, because it's a mini wizard mode mode like Destroy The Ring (DTR), and DTR can't be stacked with anything else.

Needless to say, I was surprised when I found myself shooting TABA shots with two balls in play, but it definitely made it much easier to complete.

#88 8 years ago

Congrats on completing TABA! I played a game the other day and made it to TABA for the first time. Honest to god, that's the best mode in pinball that I have ever played. A+

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

I finally completed There And Back Again (TABA) for the very first time this weekend, and I did it, surprisingly, with a stacked Gollum Multiball.

Nice, now do it with double scoring stacked with it.

Quoted from nicoga3000:

I played a game the other day and made it to TABA for the first time.

I absolutely love the music for TABA. It's one of many reasons why it's my favorite machine.

#90 8 years ago

Congrats Skywalker & thearcadegeek with your new purchases - you really can't go wrong with LOTR!

#91 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Congrats on completing TABA! I played a game the other day and made it to TABA for the first time. Honest to god, that's the best mode in pinball that I have ever played. A+

Quoted from Snurdley:

Nice, now do it with double scoring stacked with it.

I absolutely love the music for TABA. It's one of many reasons why it's my favorite machine.

Thanks, guys. Yes, TABA is a fantastic mode, as is FOTR Multiball and DTR.

FWIW, I rarely focus on score in LOTR. All I really care about is progress towards Valinor (i.e., TABA + 3 MBs + 7 Elf Gifts + DTR). I'd much rather reach Valinor with only 200,000,000 points than post a score four times higher than that (800,000,000+).

#92 8 years ago

Well, the Elves must be smiling on me. I just completed TABA for the second time, but with a single ball this time. WooHoo!

#93 8 years ago

Congrats. I've only done it with gollum stacked.

#94 8 years ago

Cave Troll multiball info,

Just in case you missed it

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/good-grief

1 week later
#95 8 years ago

Added some more mods to my LOTR, PoTD figures, cliffy protectors, and Jay Robinson's Palantir mod. I love it - so much better than the stock Palantir. I used the included fader module to reduce the brightness and it looks great.

http://www.jayspinball.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=198

Highly recommended.

RussMyers

IMG_5854.JPGIMG_5854.JPG IMG_5855.JPGIMG_5855.JPG IMG_5856.JPGIMG_5856.JPG
#96 8 years ago

Just moved my machine from Washington State to Florida. The machine seemed to have survived the trip well but whenever I stick a ball into the ring magnet, the ball falls back out onto the playfield instead of being sucked back into the trough. The modes are activated but the ball always fall back out. Probably a connection that came loose but before I start fiddling around, thought I'd run this past the group to see if anyone can point me in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance for any advice that's offered.

larry

#97 8 years ago

Have you tested this by hand with the glass off? Is the magnet grabbing the ball? Are you activating the spinner switch before the ball hits the ring?

#98 8 years ago

What's required for TABA? I was able to find the requirements for valinor but not for TABA

#99 8 years ago
Quoted from Kkuoppamaki:

What's required for TABA? I was able to find the requirements for valinor but not for TABA

Complete all 6 ring modes, light mode start, shoot ring -> TABA time!

#100 8 years ago
Quoted from nicoga3000:

Complete all 6 ring modes, light mode start, shoot ring -> TABA time!

Actually, all you have to do is START the 6 ring modes. Completion of the modes is not necessary.

To complete TABA itself, you have to hit the ring ramp a 1st time, hit one of the flashing lanes a 1st time, hit the ring ramp a 2nd time, hit a 2nd flashing lane, hit the ring ramp a 3rd time, hit a 3rd flashing lane... etc.... until you hit the last flashing lane, and then hit the ring ramp one last time. TABA complete.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
Under cabinet
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, MI
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
Plastics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
There are 10,138 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 203.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.