Topic Stats

• 5,509 posts
  • 494 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Vyzer2
  • Topic is favorited by 255 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,162 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200121_142447 (resized).jpg
783701B7-C241-4BF3-8E0B-3114214E7A33 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200118_181934 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200118_182356 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200111_172031 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200111_172026 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200111_172017 (resized).jpg
$_867 (resized).jpg
i-SBRpLS4-X2 (resized).jpg
IMG-20200108-WA0000 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200108_114300 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200104_104939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200104_105011 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200104_105047 (resized).jpg
IMG_4750.JPG
IMG_4747.JPG

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 5509 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 111.
#901 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am still learning the rules and strategy for LOTR. I ordered the pinbits POTD diverter to make the ball not fall on Arwen plastic and into Shire and always go to habittrail. Is there an advantage to have the ball divert into Shire instead of habittrail return to flipper. Was the game originally designed to go either way? I have always thought it was a poor design with the drastic drop. Any feedback is appreciated.

You earn extra souls for the ball diverting into the Shire and the number of souls you earn will increase each time the ball goes that way.

#902 3 years ago

You collect extra souls when the ball ends up in the shire. ROTK is hard enough as it is.

#903 3 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

You earn extra souls for the ball diverting into the Shire and the number of souls you earn will increase each time the ball goes that way.

Ok that makes sense, but again my question lies "Is the ball going into the Shire from POTD an original part of the design of the layout, or was it meant to always be returned to the habittrail?" If it was originally designed to go to the habittrail (which I thought it was because on certain LOTR runs the POTD has a post diverter from factory) then would it technically be cheating to have it divert to the Shire to increase your soul counts? Was ROTK meant to be difficult?

#904 3 years ago

Are there other ways to get the ball onto the POTD other than a skill shot or War Of The Ents ?

#905 3 years ago

Any ball drop into the left tower will VUK the ball into the POTD.

Also, the right return lane will "light the POTD." Meaning, the left orbit shot will get diverted into the tower and hence the POTD.

#906 3 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Any ball drop into the left tower will VUK the ball into the POTD.
Also, the right return lane will "light the POTD." Meaning, the left orbit shot will get diverted into the tower and hence the POTD.

Does the right return lane light the POTD for a short period or does it stay lit until you shoot the left orbit ?

#907 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Ok that makes sense, but again my question lies "Is the ball going into the Shire from POTD an original part of the design of the layout, or was it meant to always be returned to the habittrail?" If it was originally designed to go to the habittrail (which I thought it was because on certain LOTR runs the POTD has a post diverter from factory) then would it technically be cheating to have it divert to the Shire to increase your soul counts? Was ROTK meant to be difficult?

I obviously can't speak for Gomez and the team, and I gotta think if they put the soul bonus that grows in value with each Shire hit from the POTD into the code, it was factored into the design. Also, it's not really rare for the ball to fall into the Shire, so I'm sure they had it happening during design and testing.

The Arwen plastic was broken before I even got my machine, so I never had to worry about protecting it

#908 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Does the right return lane light the POTD for a short period or does it stay lit until you shoot the left orbit ?

Not sure, it's either a short period or stays available until you hit *something*. Be it the left orbit or something else. I'd have to test.

#909 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Is the ball going into the Shire from POTD an original part of the design of the layout, or was it meant to always be returned to the habittrail?

The original design allows the ball to go to either: (a) the Shire and then to the habitrail via the Shire VUK, or (b) directly to the habitrail. Eventually, all balls that reach the POTD will end up on the habitrail feeding the left flipper.

Quoted from pinmister:

If it was originally designed to go to the habittrail (which I thought it was because on certain LOTR runs the POTD has a post diverter from factory

To the best of my knowledge, no diverters from the POTD to the habitrail were ever installed on factory LOTRs. Those were all aftermarket mods installed by owners. Most people that installed the diverters simply didn't want to suffer through the gameplay delays of the POTD miniplayfield, and they were willing to live with fewer Souls gained by the additional delay in the Shire in exchange for a shorter POTD cycle time.

#910 3 years ago

I installed the diverter in my LOTR but took it out. It inhibits how the game is supposed to play. I have since installed and Arwen plastic protector, a thick Shire decal and a Shire protector. That will do quite nicely for home use.

Just about the best mod you can install around the Shire is the brass rail guide mentioned earlier in this thread and made by ryan1234. It gets rid of the awful 'plastic shelf' and really tidies up the look of the game around the left inlane/outlane area.

image_(resized).jpeg

#911 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Just about the best mod you can install around the Shire is the brass rail guide

Totally the best non-powered mod in all pinball.

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

The original design allows the ball to go to either: (a) the Shire and then to the habitrail via the Shire VUK, or (b) directly to the habitrail. Eventually, all balls that reach the POTD will end up on the habitrail feeding the left flipper.

Thank you for the clarification. I still am having difficultly believing that Gomez designed the ball to take a 1" straight drop off POTD to fall onto a plastic and then into a hole. Not only is it clunky but it also tears the shit out of the shire. I do not think this was an intentional part of design, but I could be wrong? I would love to hear from Gomez himself on his thoughts on this issue.

#913 3 years ago

Maybe Gomez doesn't like Liv Tyler.

#914 3 years ago
Quoted from scottslash:

Maybe Gomez doesn't like Liv Tyler.

...or just wanted his balls in her face.

#915 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

...or just wanted his balls in her face.

Who wouldn't ?

#916 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Thank you for the clarification. I still am having difficultly believing that Gomez designed the ball to take a 1" straight drop off POTD to fall onto a plastic and then into a hole. Not only is it clunky but it also tears the shit out of the shire. I do not think this was an intentional part of design, but I could be wrong? I would love to hear from Gomez himself on his thoughts on this issue.

I think you are over estimating George Gomez.

#917 3 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Why not? On Shadow the ball also falls onto the plastics when it leaves the Battlefield.

Since all the shots resemble their character/scenes quite nicely maybe he wanted to mimic the options of either falling down the huge steps all the sculls and bones are poured down during the PotD scene or you can take the "standard exit" as they finally do in the movie after escaping the huge steps scull avalanche by a close call.

#918 3 years ago

I have a chance to pick up a LOTR. I want to make sure I am not paying too much, I am out of the loop on what one goes for these days. The game is a little dirty with no mods or leds. The owner says its HUO but there is a little flipper button ware that have been covered with ugly black proctors so I am wondering if that's true. The game works as it should. The seller is keeping the translite(it has some of the actors autographs on it). Looks like 4500 will bring it home and I will need to pick up a translite.
Is 4500 fair?
Does anyone have a translite for sale? It will look funny with my 3D TRON one in there

Resized_Resized_20160719_213510_resized_(resized).jpeg

Resized_Resized_20160719_213445_resized_(resized).jpeg

#919 3 years ago

Id say grab it. $4500 is a pretty good deal in my neck of the woods. The wear around the flipper buttons is pretty normal for this title, even for home use.

#920 3 years ago

I'd try and get $100 knocked off the price to offset the cost of a replacement translite. If he doesn't want to then fair enough but worth a try.

#921 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

I have a chance to pick up a LOTR. I want to make sure I am not paying too much, I am out of the loop on what one goes for these days. The game is a little dirty with no mods or leds. The owner says its HUO but there is a little flipper button ware that have been covered with ugly black proctors so I am wondering if that's true. The game works as it should. The seller is keeping the translite(it has some of the actors autographs on it). Looks like 4500 will bring it home and I will need to pick up a translite.
Is 4500 fair?
Does anyone have a translite for sale? It will look funny with my 3D TRON one in there

Looks like a translite is $149 so you are actually paying $4650. How many HUO games have flipper wear and then someone put flipper wear protectors on it to stop the wear from getting worse? Pretty black and worn flipper rubbers on it. I know people say that means nothing, but HUO games I buy look better than this LOTR.

I paid $5600 for a huo one with ledocd, led lights, color dmd, the staff light, jays mod, topper and some other minor mods. It had zero flipper wear also.

You have a nice collection of games. I would pay more for a better game with some mods or a better looking one. Lotr is a good value game for how good it is compared to a lot of Premium and LE's out there that cost a lot more, so you think you are overpaying for one, but you are getting it at a fair price compared to other games lower tanked with a lot less going on on the play field. Just me though.

#922 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

The seller is keeping the translite(it has some of the actors autographs on it). Looks like 4500 will bring it home and I will need to pick up a translite.

I have a spare translite (used) that I can sell. If you decide to buy that machine, I'm sure we can work out a reasonable price.

#923 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

Just about the best mod you can install around the Shire is the brass rail guide mentioned earlier in this thread and made by ryan1234. It gets rid of the awful 'plastic shelf' and really tidies up the look of the game around the left inlane/outlane area.

Can you please point me in the right direction - I searched this complete thread but can't find the slightest hint to the brass rail guide nor can I even find a user "ryan1234" on Pinside in general.

Love that mod, never seen it before but going through the tread I noticed that a lot of people seem to have it installed. I'm not a huge modder, but I definitely need this one!

#924 3 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

Can you please point me in the right direction - I searched this complete thread but can't find the slightest hint to the brass rail guide nor can I even find a user "ryan1234" on Pinside in general.
Love that mod, never seen it before but going through the tread I noticed that a lot of people seem to have it installed. I'm not a huge modder, but I definitely need this one!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-habitrail-mod

#925 3 years ago

$4500 is a steal, if its in good shape, even huo have flipper wear. Lollipop rails for $60 from pinball life fixes that real quick.

#926 3 years ago

Can't really tell much from those photos, other than it is in a sketchy basement or garage. Why would they want to keep the autographed translite? Do they have a nicer LotR to move it to? Ask them how much extra for it.

Look it over closely with good lighting and note everything that is not in good condition everywhere on the cab, everywhere on the playfield, in the back box, and inside the cab. Play more than one game to get a feel for any and all operation issues. (gives you a chance to chat with the seller) $4500 is good for a HUO LotR, but things are often not as described.

#927 3 years ago

Who wants out of the club? I have a Godzilla that would like to exit so that I can visit the Shire.

#928 3 years ago

Just bought mine, I'm in the club!!

#929 3 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Can't really tell much from those photos, other than it is in a sketchy basement or garage. Why would they want to keep the autographed translite? Do they have a nicer LotR to move it to? Ask them how much extra for it.
Look it over closely with good lighting and note everything that is not in good condition everywhere on the cab, everywhere on the playfield, in the back box, and inside the cab. Play more than one game to get a feel for any and all operation issues. (gives you a chance to chat with the seller) $4500 is good for a HUO LotR, but things are often not as described.

Hey says hes a big LOTRs fan and wants to frame the translite, I would rather have one with out the autographs anyway.
I am going to look at it this after noon so we will see how it goes.

Quoted from Razorbak86:I have a spare translite (used) that I can sell. If you decide to buy that machine, I'm sure we can work out a reasonable price.

Thank you, I may be hitting you up for it soon.

Quoted from pinnyheadhead:Looks like a translite is $149 so you are actually paying $4650. How many HUO games have flipper wear and then someone put flipper wear protectors on it to stop the wear from getting worse? Pretty black and worn flipper rubbers on it. I know people say that means nothing, but HUO games I buy look better than this LOTR.
I paid $5600 for a huo one with ledocd, led lights, color dmd, the staff light, jays mod, topper and some other minor mods. It had zero flipper wear also.
You have a nice collection of games. I would pay more for a better game with some mods or a better looking one. Lotr is a good value game for how good it is compared to a lot of Premium and LE's out there that cost a lot more, so you think you are overpaying for one, but you are getting it at a fair price compared to other games lower tanked with a lot less going on on the play field. Just me though.

If its really bad I am out, but if it just needs to be cleaned up I will be happy with that. I like cleaning up and machine and doing mods myself. I had a LOTR a few years ago and let it go; I was new to pinball and did not know what I had. This will be a game I keep for a long time so I will be thinking about what you said, would not want to regret having a junkie one.

The games I have are fast and tend to have shorter games so I think a longer playing LOTR will fit in really nice.
Thanks you for everyone's input and I will report back.

#930 3 years ago
Quoted from Neuromancer87:

Congratulations and welcome!

#931 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotronx:

If its really bad I am out, but if it just needs to be cleaned up I will be happy with that. I like cleaning up and machine and doing mods myself. I had a LOTR a few years ago and let it go; I was new to pinball and did not know what I had. This will be a game I keep for a long time so I will be thinking about what you said, would not want to regret having a junkie one.
The games I have are fast and tend to have shorter games so I think a longer playing LOTR will fit in really nice.
Thanks you for everyone's input and I will report back.

Remember to keep your eyes peeled as some LOTR machines have poor color registration, where oftentimes the playfield is some off-color tone like yellow. Can't tell in the picture but just something to watch out for.

Later run games also have the figure of Gandalf the Gray on the playfield instead of the rarer Gandalf the White on Shadowfax. Minor difference but worth mentioning.

Can't tell much in the picture, but also watch out for any wear on the three scoops. Arwen plastic that the ball bounces on when exiting the Paths of the Dead can sometimes be damaged, too.

Good luck! Great game nonetheless.

#932 3 years ago

Is LOTR your first pin? Wow!

#933 3 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Is LOTR your first pin? Wow!

Yes, I figured I loved it so much it had to be my first. It was pricey, but I got a decent deal on a HUO machine for 5800. I'm already thinking what will be next... I love Champion Pub, so it'll either be that or an Xmen or Spiderman.

#934 3 years ago

Yes, I figured I loved it so much it had to be my first. It was pricey, but I got a decent deal on a HUO machine for 5800. I'm already thinking what will be next... I love Champion Pub, so it'll either be that or an Xmen or Spiderman.

LOTR is such a perfect first pin. I also then went SM as the second. Those two together form a two machine collection that will keep you going for ages.

#935 3 years ago

I'm in and spent the cash on HUO minty!! It joins in with WOZ and Hobbit yes of course I'm going to add more LED's to LOTR lol

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#936 3 years ago

Was playing LOTR tonight, hadn't played it in a while. I forgot how funny the mode complete animation and sound effects are on Gandalf vs. Saruman as Saruman flies away! "WAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa"

#937 3 years ago
Quoted from multibrawlr:

Remember to keep your eyes peeled as some LOTR machines have poor color registration, where oftentimes the playfield is some off-color tone like yellow. Can't tell in the picture but just something to watch out for.
Later run games also have the figure of Gandalf the Gray on the playfield instead of the rarer Gandalf the White on Shadowfax. Minor difference but worth mentioning.
Can't tell much in the picture, but also watch out for any wear on the three scoops. Arwen plastic that the ball bounces on when exiting the Paths of the Dead can sometimes be damaged, too.
Good luck! Great game nonetheless.

Hey so Arwen has a small crack in it and the yellows look really good. The Gandalf is the gray one and I at some point switch it out.

The game really looked better in person, needs a good cleaning and fresh rubbers but other then that it's nice. There does not appear to be much button ware underneath the black protectors. The seller is keeping the Translite glass and all. A friend had it autographed at com-con. I got the price down some more and going to pick it up today.
Thanks everyone

#938 3 years ago

I'm almost 100% done with my LOTR restoration, but I'm in need of the three screws that connect Balrog with the bushing.

According to the manual, I need these (currently out of stock at Marco):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/237-5976-02

Marco's site mentions these as a possible replacement in the description:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4006-01113-06

My question to you savvy folks is, will these replacements do the trick? If not, can someone point me in the right direction for the appropriate replacement?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

#939 3 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

I'm almost 100% done with my LOTR restoration, but I'm in need of the three screws that connect Balrog with the bushing.
According to the manual, I need these (currently out of stock at Marco):
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/237-5976-02
Marco's site mentions these as a possible replacement in the description:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4006-01113-06
My question to you savvy folks is, will these replacements do the trick? If not, can someone point me in the right direction for the appropriate replacement?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

The replacements should work fine (cheaper at pinballlife):

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2843

#940 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

The replacements should work fine (cheaper at pinballlife):
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=2843

You are the man!

I have some other things to order through Pinball life regardless, so this works out nicely.

#941 3 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

You are the man!
I have some other things to order through Pinball life regardless, so this works out nicely.

The original screw has a serrated face, I assume so it will not vibrate loose. You might want to throw a lock washer on there.
amazon.com link »

Pinball Life also has these screws if you don't care which style screw head you use.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=235

It may not matter much since Balrog doesn't have the same vibration a flipper would.

1 week later
#942 3 years ago

I just posted this for sale if anyone here is interested:

Archived after 2 days
Sold (amount undisclosed)
Mod - For Sale
New “Gandalf lighted staff mod, $25 shipped. PM me if interested.”
2016-08-11
Indianapolis, IN

Added over 3 years ago: Sold

#944 3 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

LOTR is such a perfect first pin. I also then went SM as the second. Those two together form a two machine collection that will keep you going for ages.

Thanks! I knew I did the right thing! I wonder about adding TZ to the mix? This is just blue-sky dreaming... tut LOTR next to TZ, forget about it. My concern is that TZ would be more maintenance though, compared to the newer Stern.

#945 3 years ago

For those that have the hobbit and LOTR. Do you find yourself still playing LoTR? How does it feel after the hobbit?

#946 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

For those that have the hobbit and LOTR. Do you find yourself still playing LoTR? How does it feel after the hobbit?

Play both a lot! But haven't had either one more than a month...loving them both and don't see either leaving for a looooooong time, sad to say if I decide to totally trick out my LOTR and Hobbit SE I might have to sell my Centaur.....ugh decisions decisions! It's bad having a MOD addiction.

#947 3 years ago

Thanks! I knew I did the right thing! I wonder about adding TZ to the mix? This is just blue-sky dreaming... tut LOTR next to TZ, forget about it. My concern is that TZ would be more maintenance though, compared to the newer Stern.

TZ is the only game out of the ones I've sold that I will definitely be buying again and keeping for the long haul! I had no maintenance issues with the one I had....

#948 3 years ago

I had my best ever game on LOTR today! Got to There and Back again! 185,000,000 Grand Champion

#949 3 years ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

I had my best ever game on LOTR today! Got to There and Back again! 185,000,000 Grand Champion

Good play. I haven't had my LOTR long and really struggle with playing to a settled strategy. There is just so much to shoot for I end up getting side tracked and inevitably lose balls. I've had TSPP the same amount of time and that is exactly the same. I really need to knuckle down and put some hours on each one.

#950 3 years ago

New owner question ... When you collect Aragorn, or Gimli, or any of the other characters, it is shown on the DMD and they make some sort of statement (e.g. "You have my axe.) I have not seen Boromir though or heard him. Is something wrong, or is he not included? I collect all of the characters for Fellowship, but he just seems to show up unannounced.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Billings, MT
$ 50.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Akron, OH
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 269.00
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
Apparel - Unisex
ArcadeMade
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 39.50
$ 219.99
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 1,000.00
There are 5509 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 111.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside