IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 204.
#9401 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I finished painting the fellowship and adding/reading.
I started with all new AOME figures except Aragorn and the Orks. Gollum I 3d printed from a free model I found. Really proud of his paint job. The other models I just added some shading and highlighting to try to bring them to live. A lot of them I created custom bases for and replaced original plastics. Also recently added the volcano, tower, and bag end from pinworlds.
Oh Gandalfs staff I made myself and am somewhat proud of. I don't know if I really did the circuit right, so maybe the led will burn out before long, we'll see!
Still to do is spruce up my path of the dead, play with my ocdled/lighting, and a couple of other ideas I have.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks great! Maybe only thing better than your painting skill is your photography skill!

#9402 1 year ago

Question not necessarily to do with LOTR.

I turn my LOTR on and it goes through the menu "setup", location ID, etc...all lights come on like its ready to play, then goes dark and restarts the process again. Stern Pinball, location ID, Lord of the Rings etc... What might cause this? Basically just keeps resetting itself. Should I be looking for a short? Just looking for suggestions where to begin.
Thanks

#9403 1 year ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Question not necessarily to do with LOTR.
I turn my LOTR on and it goes through the menu "setup", location ID, etc...all lights come on like its ready to play, then goes dark and restarts the process again. Stern Pinball, location ID, Lord of the Rings etc... What might cause this? Basically just keeps resetting itself. Should I be looking for a short? Just looking for suggestions where to begin.
Thanks

You could check 5v on both the boards in the backbox as an easy starting point. For me this was an issue when a lot of coils were firing, such as in multiball ( https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Low_5VDC_and_Game_Resets )

#9404 1 year ago

Looking to sell a pinsound kit. It would work great in LOTR.

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
Used, good condition - “This entire kit came in a game I recently purschased. I prefer my games original. So, Im looking to pass this on to someone who would appreciate it. This kit is for the Stern Wh...”
2023-03-26
Blandon, PA
500 (OBO)
Archived after: 7 days
Viewed: 158 times

#9405 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

You could check 5v on both the boards in the backbox as an easy starting point. For me this was an issue when a lot of coils were firing, such as in multiball ( https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Low_5VDC_and_Game_Resets )

Thank you....seems to be written in greek! lol. I will have to figure out what that is saying. I appreciate the response

#9406 1 year ago

My new high game! Missed destroying the ring. My right flipper is weak. Scheduling a flipper rebuild.

Grand Master (resized).jpgGrand Master (resized).jpg I was so excited until I posted my score on Pinside and got #188th place LMAO

#9407 1 year ago

Hey all, just experienced an interesting issue tonight playing my LOTR. Hoping someone can advise on what may be causing or how to best investigate. Likely someone has experienced this. Thanks in advance!

I have had my LOTR for over a year, purchased it used but in very good condition, have had no issues at all other than some LEDs needing to be replaced.

But tonight, during play, it is starting modes somewhat randomly, without hitting the ramp/ring shot ?!? Doesn't happen every game, and isn't consistent to one event causing it. Once while ball in pops, the warg mode started. Once when I plunged another mode started. and a couple of times when I started a game, a mode was already active. Has never done any of this prior to tonight.

I'm assuming something problematic with my ring switch ?!? but first time I will be investigating

thanks again for any suggestions

#9408 1 year ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

But tonight, during play, it is starting modes somewhat randomly, without hitting the ramp/ring shot ?!? Doesn't happen every game, and isn't consistent to one event causing it. Once while ball in pops, the warg mode started. Once when I plunged another mode started. and a couple of times when I started a game, a mode was already active. Has never done any of this prior to tonight.

Ring or Balrog switch likely. In the service menu select Diagnostics -> switch test and knock on the playfield in different areas and see if any switches start blipping and making a ding sound in the switch test screen.

#9409 1 year ago

hello does anyone know where the "balrog whip mod" is available?

#9410 1 year ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

Hey all, just experienced an interesting issue tonight playing my LOTR. Hoping someone can advise on what may be causing or how to best investigate. Likely someone has experienced this. Thanks in advance!
I have had my LOTR for over a year, purchased it used but in very good condition, have had no issues at all other than some LEDs needing to be replaced.
I'm assuming something problematic with my ring switch ?!? but first time I will be investigating
thanks again for any suggestions

Check connector on back of playfield for the ring opto, if it comes loose a mode will start right away.

#9411 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Ring or Balrog switch likely. In the service menu select Diagnostics -> switch test and knock on the playfield in different areas and see if any switches start blipping and making a ding sound in the switch test screen.

Thanks! Can you advise on how the balrog switch interacts with the mode starts? What I have not verified yet, but will tonight is that a mode is not starting before the 3 elf rings are lit - if that was the case, I assume there might be something else beyond the two switches involved ??

#9412 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Check connector on back of playfield for the ring opto, if it comes loose a mode will start right away.

Thanks, will check that tonight!

#9413 1 year ago

The Balrog switch is a normally closed switch and is difficult to adjust the sensitivity just right. Too hard and hits to the Balrog don't register. Too easy, then often at game start when the Balrog moves, a mode will immediately start.

Same issue can be caused by the wiring getting cracked or broken in the harness that goes to the Balrog. All that motion can and will cause the wires to break.

#9414 1 year ago
Quoted from mjmpin:

Thanks! Can you advise on how the balrog switch interacts with the mode starts?

As a safeguard of sorts for if the Balrog gets stuck in place swung out, if the Balrog registers a hit the game will treat it the same as if the ring shot is made at least re: starting a mode

#9415 1 year ago

Thanks all!

now I have some solid identified things to specifically look at when I pop the playfield up & investigate this

appreciated & I will advise what I find

#9416 1 year ago

Didn't have to dig too deep. looks like the Balrog hit switch is bad, ordered a new microswitch. if you touch the center wire/center connector on the back of the switch it goes crazy, switch is normally closed & opens when hit, so I anticipate the internal switch connection to the middle solder tab is broken.

Any agitation to the Balrog opens the switch - so I am hoping that is what is starting modes randomly, still not quite sure I understand how the Balrog switch(es) interact with the ring switch, but still, seems like a smoking gun.

thanks again for your comments!

#9417 1 year ago

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere in the thread but I'm putting together a list of parts for my friends LOTR. One thing it needs is the support bracket behind the planatir target. His is bent to hell and causes crazy airballs. I've been searching all over the manual for a part number but no luck. Searching through Marco's too but haven't stumbled across it yet. Does anyone have a link or know the part number for that target stop?

#9418 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

I'm sure this has been covered elsewhere in the thread but I'm putting together a list of parts for my friends LOTR. One thing it needs is the support bracket behind the planatir target. His is bent to hell and causes crazy airballs. I've been searching all over the manual for a part number but no luck. Searching through Marco's too but haven't stumbled across it yet. Does anyone have a link or know the part number for that target stop?

I'm pretty sure the PBL anti-sway bracket will work for this (and if things need replacing now would be a good time to switch over anyways)

#9419 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I'm pretty sure the PBL anti-sway bracket will work for this (and if things need replacing now would be a good time to switch over anyways)

Perfect, I was wondering if that would work or not

#9420 1 year ago

Cointaker deluxe backbox led panel.

Could someone post a picture of the connector into the board. I'm pretty sure mine is pinned incorrectly. The blank spot is on opposite sides.

20230329_163129 (resized).jpg20230329_163129 (resized).jpg
#9421 1 year ago
Quoted from Turtlepower169:

Cointaker deluxe backbox led panel.
Could someone post a picture of the connector into the board. I'm pretty sure mine is pinned incorrectly. The blank spot is on opposite sides.
[quoted image]

20230330_101255 (resized).jpg20230330_101255 (resized).jpg20230330_101301 (resized).jpg20230330_101301 (resized).jpg20230330_101318 (resized).jpg20230330_101318 (resized).jpg
#9422 1 year ago

Can someone recommend me some hardware for my path of the dead? I have a laser etched acrylic piece to go on top, to put aome models on.. it has 5 mounting holes. So I guess I need to replace the posts in those 5 spots with something that has a threaded top. But also has rubber/silicon on it for the ball. As bouncy as possible so I can try to nudge the ball around. And for the posts not used for mourning, what should I use? Currently have some after market things but want to replace with maybe clear posts? With again some bouncy rings.

#9423 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Can someone recommend me some hardware for my path of the dead? I have a laser etched acrylic piece to go on top, to put aome models on.. it has 5 mounting holes. So I guess I need to replace the posts in those 5 spots with something that has a threaded top. But also has rubber/silicon on it for the ball. As bouncy as possible so I can try to nudge the ball around. And for the posts not used for mourning, what should I use? Currently have some after market things but want to replace with maybe clear posts? With again some bouncy rings.

I would imagine you're probably going for something like this right?

20230331_175621 (resized).jpg20230331_175621 (resized).jpg
#9424 1 year ago

Here is what I did to my paths of the dead.

IMG_5098 (resized).JPGIMG_5098 (resized).JPG

#9425 1 year ago

Path of the dead exit ramp mod . Can anyone advise if this is available anywhere? Cheers

03F325FA-155B-4E24-84C1-3D2FCB7F4EEC (resized).png03F325FA-155B-4E24-84C1-3D2FCB7F4EEC (resized).png
#9426 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I would imagine you're probably going for something like this right?
[quoted image]

yeah. and thats easy enough to figure out on PBL. thanks!

#9427 1 year ago
Quoted from flipper73:

hello does anyone know where the "balrog whip mod" is available?

PersonX99 is the pinsider who used to sell them.

#9428 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

PersonX99 is the pinsider who used to sell them.

yes - we have contact and he will check if he has one still available

#9429 1 year ago

Here are pictures of figures I added to the pinball.
- orc on warg
- army of dead (3 of them)
- legolas
- boromir
- gimli
- 2 nazgul
- orc

altogether with the figures that are normally with the game i have now 22 figures. I think I have space for one more on the third bumper. I don‘t know which one? maybe you have an idea?

0C6E12C4-B44A-44CF-93EF-EB4B601A04D2 (resized).jpeg0C6E12C4-B44A-44CF-93EF-EB4B601A04D2 (resized).jpeg36A98FC5-FF59-49AC-BE5B-4D01E80C3EF2 (resized).jpeg36A98FC5-FF59-49AC-BE5B-4D01E80C3EF2 (resized).jpeg3883F1F6-5F8C-40DD-8F32-2C9F9A528D4A (resized).jpeg3883F1F6-5F8C-40DD-8F32-2C9F9A528D4A (resized).jpeg4F92BD20-07CD-4533-B118-79C88E866692 (resized).jpeg4F92BD20-07CD-4533-B118-79C88E866692 (resized).jpeg538E98D1-6793-4C87-A45D-553C4E559FEB (resized).jpeg538E98D1-6793-4C87-A45D-553C4E559FEB (resized).jpegA33962E1-45A0-40D3-A2ED-9678C227AF46 (resized).jpegA33962E1-45A0-40D3-A2ED-9678C227AF46 (resized).jpegCDF7E2A1-6BFA-44EC-91DB-2BD1563F6E1F (resized).jpegCDF7E2A1-6BFA-44EC-91DB-2BD1563F6E1F (resized).jpegECA793A8-5145-4962-972B-20C233992B6F (resized).jpegECA793A8-5145-4962-972B-20C233992B6F (resized).jpeg
#9430 1 year ago

Restore almost complete!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Beautiful job!

#9431 1 year ago

Which backbox led panel is recommended?
Flipper Fidelity or Cointaker?
[quoted image]

Where did you get your powder coat done? Looks amazing

#9432 1 year ago

Planning to replace the center ramp.

Does anyone know what is required to take out and replace the ramp?

#9433 1 year ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Planning to replace the center ramp.
Does anyone know what is required to take out and replace the ramp?

TLDR: Its very easy. The only annoying part is getting the spinner out/back in otherwise its much less painful than other ramps.

#9434 1 year ago

I broke a wire on the gate on my right wireform, right past the gimli vuk. I believe I soldered it back to the correct location however would like confirmation. Also, there was only a single thread of wire left so it's a weak connection. That may be my problem:

Previously on my game, when lock was lit. A shot to the vuk would lock the ball. Now, I have to hit the stand up at the back of the ramp for it to lock. Otherwise it just lets the ball down. The old behavior is correct right? If the ball gets up there via vuk, it locks?

In the switch test it's an interesting behavior. I pulled glass and rolled ball 20 times..always triggers, but it is also triggering a switch in the trough?
The sequence on trigger is always (in quick succession):
"4 ball trough #1 (left)"
"Rail ramp exit"
"4 ball trough #1 left)"

What could be the issue here? I guess I should probably put the playfield up and fix this properly, stripping some fresh wire and making a better connection. But I want to verify where it goes and what behavior I should expect from the ball lock
PXL_20230402_135820462.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20230402_135820462.MP (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230402-090316 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230402-090316 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230402-090508 (resized).pngScreenshot_20230402-090508 (resized).png

#9435 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I posted my design a few posts back if you search my name. I think I put part numbers in there. If not, I can look them up.

#9436 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

I broke a wire on the gate on my right wireform, right past the gimli vuk. I believe I soldered it back to the correct location however would like confirmation. Also, there was only a single thread of wire left so it's a weak connection. That may be my problem:
Previously on my game, when lock was lit. A shot to the vuk would lock the ball. Now, I have to hit the stand up at the back of the ramp for it to lock. Otherwise it just lets the ball down. The old behavior is correct right? If the ball gets up there via vuk, it locks?
In the switch test it's an interesting behavior. I pulled glass and rolled ball 20 times..always triggers, but it is also triggering a switch in the trough?

My game has never locked a ball from a vuk shot. That seems like it would be far too easy.

From a rule sheet I looked up re: the right ramp:

"The "made" switch for this shot is under the hilt of
the sword, so the white target isn't essential to making this shot. Can
award Aragorn (FotR MB), TTT MB locks and TTT MB start. This ramp feeds
the right inlane. The sword metalform holds locked balls with a nylon
post. If a ball is shot here when lock is not lit, and there are locked
balls held by the post, the game will release a locked ball as soon as the
first ball closes the "shot made" switch. If there are locked balls here
and a ball comes from Gollum's wireform, the game will release a locked
ball as soon as the switch just below Gollum's VUK is made."

#9437 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

The sequence on trigger is always (in quick succession):
"4 ball trough #1 (left)"
"Rail ramp exit"
"4 ball trough #1 left)"
What could be the issue here? I guess I should probably put the playfield up and fix this properly, stripping some fresh wire and making a better connection. But I want to verify where it goes and what behavior I should expect from the ball lock
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Signal wire should always go to the non-banded side of the diode. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it may be on the banded side?

Also, no, the ball should not lock on the sword from the Gimli VUK. Only from the ramp shot.

#9438 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Signal wire should always go to the non-banded side of the diode. Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like it may be on the banded side?
Also, no, the ball should not lock on the sword from the Gimli VUK. Only from the ramp shot.

Interesting. I have not changed any settings, but it was definitely locking balls from the gimli vuk before. For hundreds of games.. since I got it. I did think it was a bit too easy.

Yeah you're right I have the signal on the cathode.
What does the gate switch do?

In gameplay, how can I tell if it's working as intended?

#9439 1 year ago

The gate switch pretty much only does one important thing. It lets the game know that a ball coming into the sword lock came from the Gimli VUK, therefore not a lock.

Mine stopped working a while back and I got exactly what you described. I started getting locks from the upkicker. On mine I had to replace the switch.

#9440 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

The gate switch pretty much only does one important thing. It lets the game know that a ball coming into the sword lock came from the Gimli VUK, therefore not a lock.
Mine stopped working a while back and I got exactly what you described. I started getting locks from the upkicker. On mine I had to replace the switch.

Oooh. So my wire was probably broken the whole time, allowing ball locks and I just now noticed. I have fixed it which gave me the weird behavior..but I should probably move the wire to the anode and not the cathode, which may cause some other switches on the matrix to trigger...

#9441 1 year ago

Getting close…not sure what will feel more like Valinor: fully clearing the PF & polishing or securing the last fastener on reassembly

D49D0ACB-E34D-4F3A-9FDF-E07B1D44BF5A (resized).pngD49D0ACB-E34D-4F3A-9FDF-E07B1D44BF5A (resized).png
#9442 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Getting close…not sure what will feel more like Valinor: fully clearing the PF & polishing or securing the last fastener on reassembly
[quoted image]

Clearing the pf is Destroy the Ring. Repopulating is finishing all the multiballs.

#9443 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

[quoted image]

Nice! Are you clear coating it with the bottom of the playfield still intact or are you removing all that as well? I'm curious about the process...

#9444 1 year ago
Quoted from WildRover:

Nice! Are you clear coating it with the bottom of the playfield still intact or are you removing all that as well? I'm curious about the process...

Just doing a top teardown so I can clean and polish the PF. I'm hoping polishing it gets the entire PF looking similar to how vibrant the areas where the ball can't roll look. Underside, probably just cleaning, resleeving, and replacing any broken parts on any coil-driven mechs. Probably should get an ultrasonic cleaner and do all of the wire looms, etc, but have to stretch my comfort zone one shop job at a time.

#9445 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Just doing a top teardown so I can clean and polish the PF. I'm hoping polishing it gets the entire PF looking similar to how vibrant the areas where the ball can't roll look. Underside, probably just cleaning, resleeving, and replacing any broken parts on any coil-driven mechs. Probably should get an ultrasonic cleaner and do all of the wire looms, etc, but have to stretch my comfort zone one shop job at a time.

Cool. Is it possible to re-clear the top of a playfield without removing all the bottom stuff? I'm a noob in this arena so I appreciate any thoughts.

EDIT: AHhh you meant 'clearing' as in clearing it of stuff not "clear-coating".

#9446 1 year ago

What is the best flipper rebuild kit for LOTR? My right flipper is really weak. Thanks

#9447 1 year ago
Quoted from Golgotha:

What is the best flipper rebuild kit for LOTR? My right flipper is really weak. Thanks

If the flippers needed rebuilding, they would typically both be worn out. Did you inspect your flipper mech? Anything mechanically loose, broken, stiff, disconnected, wobbly, sticky? All wires secure?

#9448 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

If the flippers needed rebuilding, they would typically both be worn out. Did you inspect your flipper mech? Anything mechanically loose, broken, stiff, disconnected, wobbly, sticky? All wires secure?

I will check it hopefully tonight.
The right flipper is not consistent which means it's not the solenoid but probably switch related. The odd thing is that on one flip it flies up the legolas shot and others barely gets higher than the mystery.

#9449 1 year ago

What are you using to polish? Do you have any before/after pics? Got my LotR in 2006 as second owner. Was manufactured in 2003. The playfield has dulled over the years, and I never really noticed until I started adding some new pins the last couple of years. Mine still has some nice shiny areas where the ball doesn’t travel. I’m trying to figure out how to give it back some shine and make sure it lasts longer than me.

Quoted from blizz81:

IMG_2060 (resized).jpegIMG_2060 (resized).jpeg
#9450 1 year ago

Looking to join the club, does anyone know of a LOTR that will be coming up for sale? I'll be at Allentown next month.

All conditions considered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 10,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 189 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/189?hl=ripit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.