IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 204.
#9151 1 year ago

I just wrapped up this project. Found a nice huo example down in Kentucky from a guy that bought it new for the grandkids. They didn’t play it much lol. I went a bit over board on this one…still need to get art blades but I was able to upgrade the sound to flipper fidelity all around. I added the pinsound package with shaker and external volume control. New glass new rubber plus fresh lolly pop rails. Led backbox light show integrated with gameplay and full non ghosting LEDs. Speaker lights and an aux 12v that runs the majority of the mods. Check out the video here

I’m happy with how it came out. The custom sound package is really something to experience. Lemme know what you think in the comments. Cheers! Here’s part two

#9152 1 year ago

Quick video on turning on Cinematic Mode for the "Cave Troll" sequence and expanded attract mode.

#9153 1 year ago

Well, I’m finally mustering up the courage to try to install the 2Niro Palantir v2 mod. My only modding experience this far has been successfully swapping out the Cointaker plastic with elvish writing on it…just for reference of how limited my skills are.

I’ve watched the YouTube videos and read the instructions. Not sure if it’s totally straight forward because the YouTube was made for v1 but hoping I’m following correctly.

Here’s my plan of attack so please call me out where I’m off.
Here’s what came in the package. My first thing to do is to swap out the control board from the original, which seems to be the this other pic.
Second is to follow the instructions to put on the globe and put the yellow connections cable underneath.

Now for the part I’m hoping someone can provide clarification. The YouTube video shows the yellow 2Niro part plugging into the power cable from the original bulb at the top of the 2Niro block but this version has a 5 prong cable that looks like it should feed into the control board. Is that correct? The original bulb power seems to be a 2 prong so not sure where I’m supposed to connect that to any of the parts that came with the Palantir.

3F0B615A-4854-4E29-90B6-34497923CE6F (resized).jpeg3F0B615A-4854-4E29-90B6-34497923CE6F (resized).jpeg939A4868-904C-4F70-91FD-6A8BCCD37F17 (resized).jpeg939A4868-904C-4F70-91FD-6A8BCCD37F17 (resized).jpegD1F95732-D6ED-45D8-9246-E7A382586F06 (resized).jpegD1F95732-D6ED-45D8-9246-E7A382586F06 (resized).jpeg

#9154 1 year ago

Ok, after re-watching the New Control System video my understanding is that all 3 parts plug into each other, as shown in the pic below. Is that correct?

That would mean I would uninstall the original Palantir bulb and nothing gets re-attached to it so it is an open / unused cable going forward?

7C65B615-B7F2-4F42-ADCA-49A1175AAEC8 (resized).jpeg7C65B615-B7F2-4F42-ADCA-49A1175AAEC8 (resized).jpeg
#9155 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Ok, after re-watching the New Control System video my understanding is that all 3 parts plug into each other, as shown in the pic below. Is that correct?
That would mean I would uninstall the original Palantir bulb and nothing gets re-attached to it so it is an open / unused cable going forward?
[quoted image]

I think you are right - I watched the 2:06 video and towards the end (1:50 mark) you can see the original Palantir cable just hanging there (presumably unused going forward). Good luck and let us know how it works out! I'm thinking of getting this mod - it looks great.

#9156 1 year ago
Quoted from Williams95:

I think you are right - I watched the 2:06 video and towards the end (1:50 mark) you can see the original Palantir cable just hanging there (presumably unused going forward). Good luck and let us know how it works out! I'm thinking of getting this mod - it looks great.

Yeah you’re right, good catch. I’m glad to report that the install was successful and pretty straight forward! Attached is the picture of the control board I replaced, only providing because it is upside down compared to the New Control Board video so YMMV.

I will say this is a sweet mod. Seeing the eye as expected is a cool upgrade against the stock Palantir. I was expecting the Gollum visual to only come up when I’ve captured the 9 rings of men and initiate only when the Gollum multiball is triggered but the video appears every time the ball gets into the Gollum/Gimli shot. Definitely not complaining. Also, the one time I was looking when I did activate the Gollum multiball it did appear the video was in sych with the audio which was cool.

Definitely recommend this mod. If I can install then I’m sure anyone can as this was my first real mod ever to put in.

B17C013A-B3E0-4AC2-A415-DBBA467B6989 (resized).jpegB17C013A-B3E0-4AC2-A415-DBBA467B6989 (resized).jpeg

#9157 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Yeah you’re right, good catch. I’m glad to report that the install was successful and pretty straight forward! Attached is the picture of the control board I replaced, only providing because it is upside down compared to the New Control Board video so YMMV.
I will say this is a sweet mod. Seeing the eye as expected is a cool upgrade against the stock Palantir. I was expecting the Gollum visual to only come up when I’ve captured the 9 rings of men and initiate only when the Gollum multiball is triggered but the video appears every time the ball gets into the Gollum/Gimli shot. Definitely not complaining. Also, the one time I was looking when I did activate the Gollum multiball it did appear the video was in sych with the audio which was cool.
Definitely recommend this mod. If I can install then I’m sure anyone can as this was my first real mod ever to put in.
[quoted image]

I don’t want to mislead anyone as it seems the video synching with the Gollum audio may have been a coincidence as I haven’t experienced it again the few times I’ve initiated Gollum multiball.

Still recommend the mod regardless.

#9158 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Quick video on turning on Cinematic Mode for the "Cave Troll" sequence and expanded attract mode.

Turn off the consolation Balrog! Keefer would approve.

I keep notes for settings I used for each of my pins in case the batteries die, etc it is easy to find them all again. LotR -

Standard Adjustment 3 replay award = EB / replay
SA 4 replay levels = 4 (tiers of replays or EBs) ->1
SA 6 Sepecial Award = EB
SA 9 EB Limit = Unlimited -> 0 (extra balls off)
SA 13 Match on/off
SA 15 Tilt Warnings = 3
SA 29 High Score = 10 letters
SA 30 Free Play = Yes
SA 31 Custom Message - on
SA 34 Knocker = OFF
SA 38 Ball save
SA 42 Coindoor Ball save => Yes
SA 45 fast boot = YES
SA 49 Tech Alert = coint door and startup
flipper settings - not implemented(?) SA 53 54 54 = 10,40,0 (mimimum flipper power)

FA 33 Cave Troll = ON
FA 34 = consolation balrog = none
FA 35 = 2 ball destroy the ring DTR = 1
FA 36 = Extend attract = Yes

Total Number of Plays: AUD, SPI (standard audits), 14

custom message hit right svc button at end

#9159 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I keep settings notes for each of my pins in case the batteries die, etc . LotR -
Standard Adjustment 3 replay award = EB / replay
SA 4 replay levels = 4 (tiers of replays or EBs) ->1
SA 6 Sepecial Award = EB
SA 9 EB Limit = Unlimited -> 0 (extra balls off)
SA 13 Match on/off
SA 15 Tilt Warnings = 3
SA 29 High Score = 10 letters
SA 30 Free Play = Yes
SA 31 Custom Message - on
SA 34 Knocker = OFF
SA 38 Ball save
SA 42 Coindoor Ball save => Yes
SA 45 fast boot = YES
SA 49 Tech Alert = coint door and startup
flipper settings - not implemented(?) SA 53 54 54 = 10,40,0 (mimimum flipper power)
FA 33 Cave Troll = ON
FA 34 = consolation balrog = none
FA 35 = 2 ball destroy the ring DTR = 1
FA 36 = Extend attract = Yes
Total Number of Plays: AUD, SPI (standard audits), 14
custom message hit right svc button at end

LOTR so far is the only one I would need notes on since I didn't see any notation indicating factory default. Or did I miss something?

#9160 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

The original bulb power seems to be a 2 prong so not sure where I’m supposed to connect that to any of the parts that came with the Palantir.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

indeed this two-pin connector is used for the animation of the bulb which is under the original globe.
you have to remove this socket bulb which is no longer useful, the female connector just being used to connect the trigger of the palantir V1.
I made an additional video just for the electrical connection part in French but I added explanations in pictures which are very well detailed on my site section pinball mods / palantir.

in case of doubt, I respond quickly to questions asked by email to [email protected]
thanks for the feedback

#9161 1 year ago

Certain things you just can't see when you buy a machine. Previous owner had a basterdized home-grown Palatir mod that ruined the metal piece it sits on.

I am trying to install the F2Niro Palatir and not sure how to approach this. Does this metal piece have a replacement? Appreciate any advice.

20230108_163237_resized (resized).jpg20230108_163237_resized (resized).jpg20230108_163257_resized (resized).jpg20230108_163257_resized (resized).jpg20230108_165042_resized (resized).jpg20230108_165042_resized (resized).jpg
#9162 1 year ago
Quoted from Dezman:

Certain things you just can't see when you buy a machine. Previous owner had a basterdized home-grown Palatir mod that ruined the metal piece it sits on.
I am trying to install the F2Niro Palatir and not sure how to approach this. Does this metal piece have a replacement? Appreciate any advice.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You are in luck! Marco Specialties…$20

F6660BBC-1047-4307-AF47-092CE0F59861 (resized).jpegF6660BBC-1047-4307-AF47-092CE0F59861 (resized).jpeg
#9163 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

I just wrapped up this project. Found a nice huo example down in Kentucky from a guy that bought it new for the grandkids. They didn’t play it much lol. I went a bit over board on this one…still need to get art blades but I was able to upgrade the sound to flipper fidelity all around. I added the pinsound package with shaker and external volume control. New glass new rubber plus fresh lolly pop rails. Led backbox light show integrated with gameplay and full non ghosting LEDs. Speaker lights and an aux 12v that runs the majority of the mods. Check out the video here I’m happy with how it came out. The custom sound package is really something to experience. Lemme know what you think in the comments. Cheers! Here’s part two

Fantastic! I found my current LOTR in 2018 from the original owner, who rarely played it. It was absolutely stock. Since then, I’ve added so many mods (my fav pin to mod) including Niro Palantir mod, flaming ring, potd platform and figures, Cliffys, LEDs with OCD board, color DMD, ring shooter rod with red acrylic, alternate translite, etched acrylic, volcano mod, Arwen ramp/slide by RedShiftLED, and more. I have the shaker you can customize to react by triggering specific switches, but haven’t installed yet. I should install my separate power supply first. The one major mod I don’t have yet is Pinsound. I’m tempted after hearing yours!

#9164 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Fantastic! I found my current LOTR in 2018 from the original owner, who rarely played it. It was absolutely stock. Since then, I’ve added so many mods (my fav pin to mod) including Niro Palantir mod, flaming ring, potd platform and figures, Cliffys, LEDs with OCD board, color DMD, ring shooter rod with red acrylic, alternate translite, etched acrylic, volcano mod, Arwen ramp/slide by RedShiftLED, and more. I have the shaker you can customize to react by triggering specific switches, but haven’t installed yet. I should install my separate power supply first. The one major mod I don’t have yet is Pinsound. I’m tempted after hearing yours!

DUDE, WITHOUT PINSOUND, NONE OF THESE OTHER MODS MATTER

#9165 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Dang that end credits music gave me chills. What’s the best way for me to purchase this so called Pinsound?

Does it come with the audio already included or is there an entirely separate process to download preferred tracks? I guess I should search for the Pinsound forum.

#9166 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Dang that end credits music gave me chills. What’s the best way for me to purchase this so called Pinsound?
Does it come with the audio already included or is there an entirely separate process to download preferred tracks? I guess I should search for the Pinsound forum.

You can buy the preloaded USB flash drive that comes with three tracks. You can lower the volume to zero then turn the knob up and down quickly to change tracks on the fly using the headphone station. If I did the project again, I would have just purchased the ultimate kit from pnsound that comes with literally everything you'd need. Speakers, PinsoundBoard, Shaker Board, Headphone station, cables etc..

#9167 1 year ago

Does anybody know where I could find the adjustment on LOTR to turn down the flipper power? My flippers are so strong they hit the target under the crystal ball and flies back hitting the glass. One time it hit the target and flew over the flippers! Yikes!

#9168 1 year ago
Quoted from Indypin:

Does anybody know where I could find the adjustment on LOTR to turn down the flipper power? My flippers are so strong they hit the target under the crystal ball and flies back hitting the glass. One time it hit the target and flew over the flippers! Yikes!

It's in settings but it's not flipper specific. It
Turns down all the coils strength. Don't recall the exact name of the setting.
Check that setting but could also be that someone put in stronger flipper coils to make the ring shot easier. So turning down coil strength could solve your flipper problem but then maybe the trough launcher won't be strong enough.

#9169 1 year ago

I started removing

Quoted from Indypin:

Pinball life sells lower strength flippers for lotr. Not sure they are in stock

#9170 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

DUDE, WITHOUT PINSOUND, NONE OF THESE OTHER MODS MATTER

Is there video of your pinsound mix? I haven’t going anything on Lotr that I like.

#9171 1 year ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Is there video of your pinsound mix? I haven’t going anything on Lotr that I like.

I'd have to take a video of it..I just sold it, but it hasn't left yet..I have 3 sountracks on mine..the original, and the two others that are on Pinsound..If I had kept the machine, I would have made my own (made a cool mix for Demo Man) . Both have good stuff going on..but one sounds better, but a bit darker in theme with the OST. I'd do a mix that suited both. If you want a vid, pm me

#9172 1 year ago

Thanks fellas!

#9173 1 year ago

here's my google drive link to the pinsound mixes..these are just basic demonstrations of the feel of each one..The first 2 videos are the first soundtrack, the 3rd is the 2nd ST. This is a last minute throw together thing..now I see that my machine is freezing (flashing back pf lights (you can briefly see it at the end of the last video (when I throw my hands in the air, lol) ..now I have to figure out this issue before it gets shipped out It could be the massive usb drive I have in this machine, for the sound files..If anyone can tell or help me with what that is, I'll buy ya a 6pack! Anyways, blessing in disguise before it gets shipped out. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E2Oy6LdIfguaV9yzGZ2K6_9OBadqMKmZ?usp=share_link

#9174 1 year ago

Now it won't boot up..just boots to the Stern logo..I've had this issue a while back..pretty sure it's the ring mag fuse..which I've replaced a few times already..If anyone can help me fix this, I'd really appreciate and help return the favor..I'd rather have the problem than my buyer!!!!

#9175 1 year ago

#9176 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

here's my google drive link to the pinsound mixes..these are just basic demonstrations of the feel of each one..The first 2 videos are the first soundtrack, the 3rd is the 2nd ST. This is a last minute throw together thing..now I see that my machine is freezing (flashing back pf lights (you can briefly see it at the end of the last video (when I throw my hands in the air, lol) ..now I have to figure out this issue before it gets shipped out It could be the massive usb drive I have in this machine, for the sound files..If anyone can tell or help me with what that is, I'll buy ya a 6pack! Anyways, blessing in disguise before it gets shipped out. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1E2Oy6LdIfguaV9yzGZ2K6_9OBadqMKmZ?usp=share_link

Make sure pinsound has latest firmware?

#9177 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

actually haven't even checked that! I better go on their site to see how-to do that, etc..I think that's a BIG possiblilty..or check 5v on the driver board/connectors..it's weird, it plays great until a certain shot or something is made, then it freezes..

#9178 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

I owe you a 6-pack... Sure as shit, that did it (and a factory reset). It's flawless now..WILD..You know what's wild? The fact that I was willing to share the joy of a pinsound (via google drive) in LotR, and had I not done that, I would have shipped out a 'flawed' machine, meaning I would have had to try to troubleshoot with the new owner..that's Karma I guess! Thanks Mate!

#9179 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

You can buy the preloaded USB flash drive that comes with three tracks. You can lower the volume to zero then turn the knob up and down quickly to change tracks on the fly using the headphone station. If I did the project again, I would have just purchased the ultimate kit from pnsound that comes with literally everything you'd need. Speakers, PinsoundBoard, Shaker Board, Headphone station, cables etc..

Any USB drive should work (well, with the caveat of cross compatibility)

All pinsound mixes are available here (there are more than three):
https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/92-the-lord-of-the-rings/

#9180 1 year ago

OT, but if anyone here owns a Demolition Man, here is the mix that I made for a Pinsound setup...Game-Changer! (and not looking for donations, just try it out and lmk what you think https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/file/367-demo-man-king-henrys-ost-remix/ I'll post this on the demo man thread as well. AND I HIGHLY SUGGEST UPDATING THE FIRMWARE ON YOUR PINSOUND BOARD..now my LotR plays steller, and even better than before (ring magnet etc isn't wonky).

#9181 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Any USB drive should work (well, with the caveat of cross compatibility)
All pinsound mixes are available here (there are more than three):
https://www.pinsound-community.org/index.php?/files/category/92-the-lord-of-the-rings/

It should be noted that you need a PC to download the Pinsound Software. I have a Mac, hence the purchase of the preloaded flash drive.

#9182 1 year ago

First, thanks to all of you for your helpful LOTR posts in general, & more specifically, for responding to my newbie questions. I sincerely appreciate you!

I absolutely love this pin! My wife, grandkids & friends love to play it because of the fantastic (especially for a 20+ yr old pin) mechanicals, the theme, the shots…it is definitely our favorite. We have enjoyed it daily, consequently, I haven’t yet changed the original rubber, installed a PinSound system, or many other mods I bought for it. Time to open her up & get busy with repairs, maintenance & mod installation! But…I hate to take it out of commission!

** I need to ask your help again, plz: I acquired my LOTR about 4 months ago & have aways had a problem with the spinner. It defaults to a horizontal position & consequently, seldom registers an increase in the Ring value. If I pull back the glass & spin it by hand, it does register correctly, but refuses to rest in the vertical position with the heavier “half” hanging down as a target. Do I need to replace just the spinner itself, or is it most likely the whole spinner mechanism? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Again- thanks! I have 5 pins now, & have found this owner’s club to be the most informative & supportive.

#9183 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

It should be noted that you need a PC to download the Pinsound Software. I have a Mac, hence the purchase of the preloaded flash drive.

You don't need to download or run Pinsound SW to install the soundpacks on the USB stick, it's just a matter of uncompressing in a folder each zip file and put it on the USB stick.

Pinsound SW is only needed if you want to play around and change these packs. I actually don't think I ever used it myself (not in any meaningful way)

#9184 1 year ago
Quoted from -Gramps:It defaults to a horizontal position

That's a big collection for 1yr!

There are lots of generic threads about spinner balance and spinner tuning. Easy way to pull those up is google: pinside spinner adjustment

#9185 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

You don't need to download or run Pinsound SW to install the soundpacks on the USB stick, it's just a matter of uncompressing in a folder each zip file and put it on the USB stick.
Pinsound SW is only needed if you want to play around and change these packs. I actually don't think I ever used it myself (not in any meaningful way)

yeah, the pinsound software is NOT necessary..the only feature I saw that was convenient, was the volume-matching from various tracks/callouts. Of course, I'm a music composer, so ymmv..I throw everything into Logic Pro (mac) and edit, mod, engineer, and export to any format is needed (.wav or .og etc). Then just replace the orig. file in the appropriate folder, throw it on a thumbdrive, and bingo.

#9186 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:That's a big collection for 1yr!
There are lots of generic threads about spinner balance and spinner tuning. Easy way to pull those up is google: pinside spinner adjustment

I might have that beat, lol..3 years into pinball (4.3 years collecting vids) and at 21 or 22 pins

#9187 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

I just wrapped up this project. Found a nice huo example down in Kentucky from a guy that bought it new for the grandkids. They didn’t play it much lol. I went a bit over board on this one…still need to get art blades but I was able to upgrade the sound to flipper fidelity all around. I added the pinsound package with shaker and external volume control. New glass new rubber plus fresh lolly pop rails. Led backbox light show integrated with gameplay and full non ghosting LEDs. Speaker lights and an aux 12v that runs the majority of the mods. Check out the video here I’m happy with how it came out. The custom sound package is really something to experience. Lemme know what you think in the comments. Cheers! Here’s part two

Jkush18 what Pinsound mix is that ?

#9188 1 year ago
Quoted from -Gramps:

First, thanks to all of you for your helpful LOTR posts in general, & more specifically, for responding to my newbie questions. I sincerely appreciate you!
I absolutely love this pin! My wife, grandkids & friends love to play it because of the fantastic (especially for a 20+ yr old pin) mechanicals, the theme, the shots…it is definitely our favorite. We have enjoyed it daily, consequently, I haven’t yet changed the original rubber, installed a PinSound system, or many other mods I bought for it. Time to open her up & get busy with repairs, maintenance & mod installation! But…I hate to take it out of commission!
** I need to ask your help again, plz: I acquired my LOTR about 4 months ago & have aways had a problem with the spinner. It defaults to a horizontal position & consequently, seldom registers an increase in the Ring value. If I pull back the glass & spin it by hand, it does register correctly, but refuses to rest in the vertical position with the heavier “half” hanging down as a target. Do I need to replace just the spinner itself, or is it most likely the whole spinner mechanism? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Again- thanks! I have 5 pins now, & have found this owner’s club to be the most informative & supportive.

Can you post a picture of how the arm of the spinner sits on the little metal lever to the left of the ramp? (The switch)

The switch lever pushing down on that little button on the switch box to which it’s attached is how it registers spins.

You probably need to troubleshoot how that sits and how it presses down on the lever/button when spun.

#9189 1 year ago

Pinball Life sells the spinner with stickers on if you need one.

#9190 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

I started removing

Pinball life sells lower strength flippers for lotr. Not sure they are in stock

Pinball life actually sells the high strength coils on the LOTR page which sounds like are possiblly already in the game. Not that they don't sell a version of the 22-900 coil which is what came in stock but it's listed under a spooky coil. I would check what coils are already in there before you do anything. You basically have 3 options; stock coils, the APB medium strength coils, or the PBL high strength coils.

I always advise (from personal experience with all 3) to never buy the PBL high strength coils as they are far too strong. The APB coils can be found on eBay when they have them in stock which I highly recommend.

#9191 1 year ago
Quoted from adrock:

Jkush18 what Pinsound mix is that ?

It's one of the preloaded soundtracks. At checkout you can select a preloaded flash drive. That's the one I got. I like to switch between the tracks on the fly using the headphone station.

#9192 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I always advise (from personal experience with all 3) to never buy the PBL high strength coils as they are far too strong. The APB coils can be found on eBay when they have them in stock which I highly recommend.

I’ve been waiting a long time for the APB coils so good luck if that’s anyone’s plan. My current plan is precision flippers + stock coils & maybe DIY coil fans. In the middle of my tear down so not sure if that will be a nice goldilocks as the precision bushings tend to make people turn power down on other games.

#9193 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

That's a big collection for 1yr!

Thank you! I appreciate the direction.

#9194 1 year ago
Quoted from adrock:

Can you post a picture of how the arm of the spinner sits on the little metal lever to the left of the ramp? (The switch)
The switch lever pushing down on that little button on the switch box to which it’s attached is how it registers spins.
You probably need to troubleshoot how that sits and how it presses down on the lever/button when spun.

Will do. Thanks!

#9195 1 year ago
Quoted from -Gramps:

...a problem with the spinner. It defaults to a horizontal position.

Hold the spinner in the vertical position with one hand, and with the other hand gently push forward (towards the back of the machine) on the spinner face. Keep pushing a little, then spinning the spinner with your hand to test the rest position. Rinse and repeat until it rests in the vertical position (or slightly past).
Terry.

#9196 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Pinball life actually sells the high strength coils on the LOTR page which sounds like are possiblly already in the game. Not that they don't sell a version of the 22-900 coil which is what came in stock but it's listed under a spooky coil. I would check what coils are already in there before you do anything. You basically have 3 options; stock coils, the APB medium strength coils, or the PBL high strength coils.

You only need the left flipper coil replaced with the Pinball Life one. I got this advice from another LOTR owner and I can confirm it's perfect. The left is what you need to get a clean ring shot anyway. The right coil would be overkill on the Legolas shot causing a lot of airballs. My LOTR works perfect now.

#9197 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

The Tibetan Breeze flipper plug and play cooling kits will finally be available for all Whitestar and SAM-based Stern pins within a month or so as that's the next system I'm concentrating on supporting.

With active flipper coil cooling the kit provides, you can put stock flipper coils back on and have the same strength for as long as you play the game without losing power. The need to put over-powered flipper coils on so you have enough power to make the ring shot when you really need it later in the game will disappear.

#9199 1 year ago

Think I should be ok removing the factory inlane and pops mylar and replacing? Also, any tips on cleaning the carbon gunk out of wood that has some wear like on the rollover switch here? Shooter lane and shire have some similar black staining into wood fibers - maybe just light sanding? Figured I could attempt to clean it up before maybe putting some mylar down (shooter lane, maybe inlane rollovers) / epoxying and cliffying the shire.

9E1EBF4F-367C-40B1-BB58-873C6558A2B6 (resized).jpeg9E1EBF4F-367C-40B1-BB58-873C6558A2B6 (resized).jpeg
#9200 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I tried the high strength coil but found them too much. I would get serious air balls off these and they beat the Palantir target to a pulp.

I decided to go back to stock coils and print out a fan bracket.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5788725

I find this works much better. Making DTR seems to be easier now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
There are 10,198 posts in this topic. You are on page 184 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/184 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.