IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,194 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 204.
#9101 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Nice packaging! I have mine in transit.

Does anyone have a link for the install instructiona for the 2 Niro ring and palantier mods? Checked his site but no luck.

#9102 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Does anyone have a link for the install instructiona for the 2 Niro ring and palantier mods? Checked his site but no luck.

https://www.2niro-pinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/ring_lord_english.2pdf.pdf

https://www.2niro-pinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/Palantir.pdf

#9103 1 year ago

My Christmas miracle came true today, with the delivery of my LOTR machine. All original, looking forward to adding some mods.

#9105 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Nice packaging! I have mine in transit.

You'll love it. I install both and they are awesome! You won't be disappointed.

#9106 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Pics or it never happened lol

#9107 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Looks a little involved, how difficult was it? I guess mainly getting the cabling correct.

#9108 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

to install Palantir , you must follow the link below,
the first tutorial is for the V1 but good to install the sphere for V2
to connect electronics parts, there an onther video in french but easy to understand the process with the additional picture for the board which replaces the Z connector

https://www.2niro-pinball.com/palantir-lord-of-the-rings/1883/

#9109 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Looks a little involved, how difficult was it? I guess mainly getting the cabling correct.

It's not hard. The fire ring took about 30 minutes max. Follow the instructions and it will go fine. The palantir took about 20 minutes. It was easy except I had trouble getting it to face the players and give the best view of the video. I'll try to post pics next chance I get to my gameroom. Right now I'm getting the house ready for Christmas.

#9110 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

It doesn't sound like a DMD issue to me..sounds more like a fuse/and/or harness issue. Please test all the fuses out of the cuircut (fuses can look and test fine, in cuircut!)...even check the main fuse at the transformer. Then test continuity on the wires AND connectors going to the DMD..sometimes the connectors get pulled out from the seats of the wires (and in your case, this stretching could have done this). That's about all I can give you at this point..Chris Hibler is a good repair guy if you end up having board issues.

Update on my issue, got a new dmd controller board, plugged it in and it’s working as it should again. Not sure why/how it happened and lost all my settings/scores but its up and running again. Thanks for the input

#9111 1 year ago

Started doing a little work on my newly acquired LOTR, how odd is it that everyone of the GI bulbs were burned out?

#9112 1 year ago

Not odd at all, especially if it was on location powered on for 12 hours a day and no maintenance ever done to it.

#9113 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Not odd at all, especially if it was on location powered on for 12 hours a day and no maintenance ever done to it.

It was a HUO machine but the original owner never replaced the batteries. He took them out but never replaced them, so it seems logical he wouldn't replace burned out bulbs.

#9114 1 year ago

I was reading an old post in here about a habtrail mod? Would that help dial in the inner orbit shot?

#9115 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

I was reading an old post in here about a habtrail mod? Would that help dial in the inner orbit shot?

I think the primary reason for that mod, was to reduce or eliminate the ball dropping on to the Arwen plastic from the POTD. Unless there is another mod to that rail, or the rail on the right side. There are a lot of mods for this machine, I can't keep up with them all, nor justify affording those I wouldn't mind having.

#9116 1 year ago
Quoted from DarthPaul:

It was a HUO machine but the original owner never replaced the batteries. He took them out but never replaced them, so it seems logical he wouldn't replace burned out bulbs.

Weird, but it sounds like the original owner had the foresight to at least get the batteries out of there before they caused damage. Or maybe they were just lazy.

IDK

I guess I could understand not replacing burnt out bulbs, depending upon which bulb is burned out. Some of the bulbs on this game are very hard to get to, without disassembling significant areas that surround them.

Edit to add:

DarthPaul, are you going to put batteries back on the board, or go with NVRAM? My unsolicited advice would be to go the NVRAM route.

#9117 1 year ago

Such a fabulous machine
Mine is “bolted” to the floor

#9118 1 year ago

Making progress. My long & perilous quest continues.

FE2C8384-59F1-4980-A598-65D0C4D5D3A0 (resized).jpegFE2C8384-59F1-4980-A598-65D0C4D5D3A0 (resized).jpeg
#9119 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Weird, but it sounds like the original owner had the foresight to at least get the batteries out of there before they caused damage. Or maybe they were just lazy.
IDK
I guess I could understand not replacing burnt out bulbs, depending upon which bulb is burned out. Some of the bulbs on this game are very hard to get to, without disassembling significant areas that surround them.
Edit to add:
DarthPaul, are you going to put batteries back on the board, or go with NVRAM? My unsolicited advice would be to go the NVRAM route.

Quoted from jlbintn:

IDK
Edit to add:

NVRAM is already in. The Pinsider I purchased the machine from, realized there was a problem because the machine wasn't saving "free play" and ordered an NVRAM for me. Problem is solved with the NVRAM installed.

#9120 1 year ago
Quoted from BigBlockFever:

Such a fabulous machine
Mine is “bolted” to the floor

As will mine be, right next to the Hobbit.

#9121 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

[quoted image]

Nice! I have the precision flippers on mine too.
096131C4-C4D0-41EB-8169-99BCE741193D (resized).jpeg096131C4-C4D0-41EB-8169-99BCE741193D (resized).jpeg

#9122 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

[quoted image]

Welcome to the Dark Side

#9123 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Quoted from jlbintn:

I think the primary reason for that mod, was to reduce or eliminate the ball dropping on to the Arwen plastic from the POTD. Unless there is another mod to that rail, or the rail on the right side. There are a lot of mods for this machine, I can't keep up with them all, nor justify affording those I wouldn't mind having.

The habit trails are the wireform ball returns on the ramps. So, no modification to them will help either of those things..

The common mod for the left habit trail is to fix the design flaw of the ball jumping out of it that necessitated the large square plastic near the left in/outlanes. You just add a brass rod to keep the ball on the return and to go into the inlane

#9124 1 year ago

Turned on my game and the sound is dead. Game plays perfect. Measured voltages and all are there and correct. Amplifier makes initial noise. I reset all Eproms and connectors. I pulled fuses and checked them. None blown. Speakers are still attached properly. I'm completely stumped. Anyone have a similar issue and possible fix? I've had this game since it was NIB in 2003. It's been HUO in my game room. I've had had pretty much no issues all of these years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#9125 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Turned on my game and the sound is dead. Game plays perfect. Measured voltages and all are there and correct. Amplifier makes initial noise. I reset all Eproms and connectors. I pulled fuses and checked them. None blown. Speakers are still attached properly. I'm completely stumped. Anyone have a similar issue and possible fix? I've had this game since it was NIB in 2003. It's been HUO in my game room. I've had had pretty much no issues all of these years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't want to assume any skill level here, but are you using batteries on your game? I'm assuming you very well know what alkiline batteries can do to boards over time..anyways, have you gone into the sound settings in the system to verify there are no sounds? Have you played with the volume controls in the coin door? Maybe the amp section on the audio board needs a recap? A hum suggests that it is still amplifiying, so I'm just throwing some potential food for thought here...Have you checked speaker connections? I believe it starts with one of the backbox speakers, then gets fed down to the woofer..see if any of those +/- leads have fallen off...good luck, hopefully someone else can chime in with better suggestions..I currently have a pinsound board in mine (hightlly suggested with different soundtracks/better sound etc).

#9126 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Don't want to assume any skill level here, but are you using batteries on your game? I'm assuming you very well know what alkiline batteries can do to boards over time..anyways, have you gone into the sound settings in the system to verify there are no sounds? Have you played with the volume controls in the coin door? Maybe the amp section on the audio board needs a recap? A hum suggests that it is still amplifiying, so I'm just throwing some potential food for thought here...Have you checked speaker connections? I believe it starts with one of the backbox speakers, then gets fed down to the woofer..see if any of those +/- leads have fallen off...good luck, hopefully someone else can chime in with better suggestions..I currently have a pinsound board in mine (hightlly suggested with different soundtracks/better sound etc).

Batteries are good. No acid damage. This game is my crown jewel, so I've maintained it well. It still looks like new. I went through the sound settings and verified no issues there. I messed with the volume control as well. I was hoping there was someone who has had the same problem and found a fix. Otherwise I may have to send my board off.

#9127 1 year ago

I got the "full Niro" last week (palentir, baradur, and ring of fire)! Can't wait to get them installed after all this holiday craziness calms down.

#9128 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShadowsNose:

I got the "full Niro" last week (palentir, baradur, and ring of fire)! Can't wait to get them installed after all this holiday craziness calms down.

what's the baradur mod? Dammit, I didn't need to know he had another mod..lol

#9129 1 year ago

Its the Eye of Sauron behind the baradur tower.

#9130 1 year ago

I'm getting ready to install some art blades. Any tips on installing on this machine? It doesn't look like the main set of wires disconnects from the playfield

#9131 1 year ago
Quoted from DragonLord:

I'm getting ready to install some art blades. Any tips on installing on this machine? It doesn't look like the main set of wires disconnects from the playfield

I always use "the wet method" and have had good luck.

If you bought vinyl blades from Tilt or Pinball Graphix this is what I would recommend. If you are using older and thinner silly old elf blades I would not use this method.

Quick version: Unplug the machine, spray down the sides and back of the decal with windex, slide it until it is in the right spot, hold it down until it is firm and push out excess liquid.

Long version / don't believe me? I got my install method from this video.

I don't take my playfields out to install anymore.

#9132 1 year ago

I just did a set of Tilt graphic blades in another machine with the playfield in service position, dry. Just lightly tacked top in a few places, worked out air bubbles, was able to lift and reset a little bit. Worked fine. Was assuming that would work for my thinner silly old elf LOTR set as well? If not could go the painter’s tape and peel the backing route.

#9133 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I just did a set of Tilt graphic blades in another machine with the playfield in service position, dry. Just lightly tacked top in a few places, worked out air bubbles, was able to lift and reset a little bit. Worked fine. Was assuming that would work for my thinner silly old elf LOTR set as well? If not could go the painter’s tape and peel the backing route.

The sillyoldelf sideart is printed on real thin vinyl, much thinner than any other makes out there. Best way is to remove the playfield, as even wet it is very tough to get right. Once in it looks fantastic, however putting it in was a hassle. I've installed 10+ pieces of sideart and many cabinet's exterior vinyl, and sillyoldelf vinyl is the only one I've done twice due to the first set messing up....

#9134 1 year ago

All the wire harnesses are long enough for you to be able to take the entire playfield out of the cabinet and set it *face first* in front of the cabinet.

#9135 1 year ago

Just put the playfield on the service rail position and have a second person push down on the apron to pivot the entire pf out of the cabinet. Lean in, hold the top two edges taught and position them at the top edge. Use a rag to rub it down from the top down.

#9136 1 year ago

Okay... I've played around with my settings and am not sure if I have a switch broken or there is an option somewhere to start a game with the mode started on the first ball. You hit start and the first mode immediately starts.

Still loving this game. 2nd longest in my collection. My homemade flipper fans make a huge difference in playability and I can tell when they are having issues.

#9137 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

All the wire harnesses are long enough for you to be able to take the entire playfield out of the cabinet and set it *face first* in front of the cabinet.

Can you please describe "face first" for me?

#9138 1 year ago

Thank you all for the suggestions. It looks like there are a lot of options.

#9139 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Okay... I've played around with my settings and am not sure if I have a switch broken or there is an option somewhere to start a game with the mode started on the first ball. You hit start and the first mode immediately starts.
Still loving this game. 2nd longest in my collection. My homemade flipper fans make a huge difference in playability and I can tell when they are having issues.

I had a similar situation. Check the cables on the backboard right behind the tower.

#9140 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Mine does this sometimes. The Balrog hit switch is a normally closed switch, meaning when you hit the Balrog the Balrog must move enough to open the switch. Mine was very insensitive, meaning you bash the Balrog and it doesn't register. I adjusted the switch to be more sensitive and that is when my issue of modes starting when beginning a game began. Since mine only does it occasionally I have chosen to live with it since my Balrog now registers every time it's hit.

#9141 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

r. I adjusted the switch to be more sensitive and that is when my issue of modes starting when beginning a game began.

Yup, mine used to do that with worn balrog wires. Balrog registers a hit when he moves at the start of a game which starts a mode. (software detects a balrog hit when it should be out of the way so it assumes he must be stuck in the way and awards a ring shot)

It never happens on the second game because the balrog is already open if you start another game quickly. I wondered for a long time why I only see it on the first game.

#9142 1 year ago
Quoted from DragonLord:

Can you please describe "face first" for me?

With the help of a friend, lift the playfield entire playfield up and over the front end of the machine. *Face First* would be the front end of the playfield sitting on the floor with the back end sticking up in the air. The Stern wiring harnesses are long enough that you do not have to unplug them when you do this.
Terry.

#9143 1 year ago

Is it just me that it seems like the instant info is wrong and practically useless on all the lotrs I’ve owned? I really want practical info that could help me on the quest to Valinor…

#9144 1 year ago

Is this the most Meched out stern game?

#9145 1 year ago

The perfect duo from the dmd era.

20230101_201516 (resized).jpg20230101_201516 (resized).jpg
#9146 1 year ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

The perfect duo from the dmd era.
[quoted image]

Love love LOVE the Tron theme.... however.... if you swap Tron 2.0 for Metallica then I'm with you.

#9147 1 year ago
Quoted from Reznnate:

Love love LOVE the Tron theme.... however.... if you swap Tron 2.0 for Metallica then I'm with you.

My good local buddy has the metallica its amazing too. thats my number 3 for the era haha

#9148 1 year ago

Well, #3 is obviously Spiderman then.. Still lurking here, like Golem..not sure why..maybe becuase I put so much effort into my pin..but sold it, and getting an Alien LV. I just didn't play LotR much after my collection grew. Different strokes..

#9149 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

With the help of a friend, lift the playfield entire playfield up and over the front end of the machine. *Face First* would be the front end of the playfield sitting on the floor with the back end sticking up in the air. The Stern wiring harnesses are long enough that you do not have to unplug them when you do this.
Terry.

Thank you! I'll use this method.

#9150 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Well, #3 is obviously Spiderman then.. Still lurking here, like Golem..not sure why..maybe becuase I put so much effort into my pin..but sold it, and getting an Alien LV. I just didn't play LotR much after my collection grew. Different strokes..

I just got a Spider-Man. I have to agree! Go-ll-u-m <cough>

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 39.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,194 posts in this topic. You are on page 183 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/183?hl=theshaft and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.