IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 204.
#9051 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Took glass and speaker panel out tonight, put back in now I don’t have anything on color dmd. Didn’t disconnect anything and dmd board “done” led is lit. I can see settings to adjust and that lotr is loaded to it in settings. Reseated ribbons just in case but still nothing, any suggestions?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Still looking for help with this, thought the rest of the game was working correctly but tried to start a game tonight and it’s just makes a clicking noise through the speakers, can’t see the screen to see what the error is

#9052 1 year ago

Has anybody ever tried to put a post on this spot on the POTD mini playfield? I am guessing that the ball drops on to Arwen would be reduced significantly.
[quoted image]
ebay.com link: itm

Worked
For
Me

#9053 1 year ago

Ya, the plastic use to break, and it was to save it from the drop on to it and the hobbit hole. Miss out on souls from drop into the hobbit hole too

#9054 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Still looking for help with this, thought the rest of the game was working correctly but tried to start a game tonight and it’s just makes a clicking noise through the speakers, can’t see the screen to see what the error is

I have the stock DMD on mine. So apples to oranges probably. I had an issue with mine a few years ago. Ended up replacing the capacitors on the DMD and it has been fine since.

It sounds like a connector, or a fuse, based on your description. You checked the connectors, and am assuming you checked fuses. Did something else somewhere in the vicinity get jarred and you just missed it? What about the main board, what type of flashes are you getting from the board LED's on power up?

Edit to add:

Can you get into the diagnostics at the coin door, or is that "dead" as well?

#9055 1 year ago

Fuses are good, think I can get into diagnostics but can’t see what I’m doing because dmd is out.

#9056 1 year ago

Think my issues are beyond my ability and would like someone with experience on these boards to go over them. Any suggestions on where to get circuit board work done, around the twin cities would be nice but would ship if needed, thanks

#9057 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Fuses are good, think I can get into diagnostics but can’t see what I’m doing because dmd is out.

Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be able to see the screen, was just wondering what else might not be working. I guess a quick and dirty would be to remove the translite and power the game up and check the main board flashes. Or just to see that the game is booting up properly. Sorry for asking what might seem to be irrelevant questions, but.... are you using an NVRAM on the main board or are you still on batteries?

#9058 1 year ago
Quoted from DragonLord:

I love the art blades btw. I just picked those same ones up and am just waiting for the opportunity to install them.

Be careful. they are very thin compared to other blades.

#9059 1 year ago

Does anyone have a link to the hockey puck that goes under the rings LEDs to stop the light from bleeding into the other rings?

#9060 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Be careful. they are very thin compared to other blades.

I feel like blades have to be thin on LOTR - man, it seems like tight clearance on both sides lifting the PF. I got a set of these blades to install at the end of my teardown/shop, and got a pair of art blade protectors for once they’re on.

#9061 1 year ago
Quoted from ryandimx:

Does anyone have a link to the hockey puck that goes under the rings LEDs to stop the light from bleeding into the other rings?

I just got one of those. Let me look to see where I got it. I hope to install it this weekend.

EDIT- Pinball Life $40

#9062 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

I feel like blades have to be thin on LOTR - man, it seems like tight clearance on both sides lifting the PF. I got a set of these blades to install at the end of my teardown/shop, and got a pair of art blade protectors for once they’re on.

I've had mirror blades on mine for 8 years without issue. But I'm the only owner, bought NIB in 2003, so the playfield doesn't get opened much.

#9063 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I just got one of those. Let me look to see where I got it. I hope to install it this weekend.
EDIT- Pinball Life $40

Didn't see it under game specific parts, you got a link to the part? Or a name to search. Hockey puck isn't getting it

#9064 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Didn't see it under game specific parts, you got a link to the part? Or a name to search. Hockey puck isn't getting it

Not sure how you missed it, it's definitely under LOTR game specific parts: https://www.pinballlife.com/light-puck-for-lord-of-the-rings.html

#9065 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Not sure how you missed it, it's definitely under LOTR game specific parts: https://www.pinballlife.com/light-puck-for-lord-of-the-rings.html

It was hiding in plain sight

Thanks, not sure how I missed it.

#9066 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Has anybody ever tried to put a post on this spot on the POTD mini playfield? I am guessing that the ball drops on to Arwen would be reduced significantly.
[quoted image]
Speaking of the POTD, at the back of the playfield, where that plastic has a tab that has to be inserted into the back panel. After I got the slope where I wanted it to be, balls started hanging between the top post and Orthanc, where even rocking the game a bit wouldn't get it to roll out. It has always done this, but not as often as it did once I made the adjustment to the legs.
I came up with what I call the five cent solution.
Literally, a nickel sandwiched between that plastic edge and the lip it rests on. It's snug, but it is only a short term fix. It will do until I come up with a more expensive and permanent solution.
Thinking about shorter spacer posts on the cabinet edge. Anybody found a way to avoid that issue, at least most of the time?

this worked for my game..mostly..I did this about 8 months ago or more, when the ball would hang up at the SAME EXACT SPOT. So I wedged some dense foam, where you put your 5 cents in it pretty much solved it, and haven't had really any hangups..just a few 'stalls'..so I'm not the only one that thought this (issue and fix/hack)...cheers..

#9067 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

Yeah, I knew you wouldn't be able to see the screen, was just wondering what else might not be working. I guess a quick and dirty would be to remove the translite and power the game up and check the main board flashes. Or just to see that the game is booting up properly. Sorry for asking what might seem to be irrelevant questions, but.... are you using an NVRAM on the main board or are you still on batteries?

Nvram has been installed for years, sounds like I was able to move around in the service menu. Took cpu off and inspected, no damage, took all fuses out, verified all are working. All the leds on boards I see appear to stay constantly lit

#9068 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

EDIT- Pinball Life $40

Just installed it on mine and it came out great. I would suggest using the new standoffs included so you can really dial in the ring illumination.

4AEC83E8-B4F1-49FF-AD4A-C5F9FD7725AF (resized).jpeg4AEC83E8-B4F1-49FF-AD4A-C5F9FD7725AF (resized).jpeg
#9069 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Just installed it on mine and it came out great. I would suggest using the new standoffs included so you can really dial in the ring illumination.
[quoted image]

The standoffs also keep the puck further away from the insert so as to not risk any pushing on it.

#9070 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Nvram has been installed for years, sounds like I was able to move around in the service menu. Took cpu off and inspected, no damage, took all fuses out, verified all are working. All the leds on boards I see appear to stay constantly lit

And all you did was take off the glass and speaker panel. Damn, routine maintenance, or whatever, and this happens. There is some tech information in the manual that may be helpful. I wonder if a full reset of the game would fix the issue.

I don't know enough about the boards to offer top notch technical help, so sorry about that. I can replace stuff on the boards, even track the problem down, the manual is relatively decent with diagramming where everything is and how it interconnects, but the deep tech on how it works, not as good at that as I would like to be. This kind of problem, in my personal experience, is usually always something simple.

#9071 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

[quoted image]

Wow that looks great! I may have to move up the install to tonight!

#9072 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Have you tried completely disconnecting the color dmd and see if the game boots? Do you still have the original dmd? You could install that and see if anything changes. You would need to follow the color dmd instructions to get the wiring correct.(high voltage vs. 5 vdc).

When you originally took off your backglass and speaker panel, what did you do? What was the reason for taking those off?

One more thing, I've seen whitestars not boot due to a bad backbox lamp, starter, or transformer.

#9073 1 year ago

This is regarding an older video Palantir mod. I have one on my machine that's been working well, but it wasn't mounted well and would fall onto the playfield if I nudged a lot. So I put 2 wraps of electrical tape on the post it's on to make it a tighter fit, and now it just completely doesn't work. I checked connections, and everything is fine there. I'm guessing I crushed the ribbon cable on the top, but it's really hard to tell. I've attached pictures.

If anyone has any advice for what other troubleshooting I could try, I'd appreciate it. I'm thinking I'm just going to have to purchase the new version.

72FC9944-DEB5-4FB6-B29B-987D4126FC15 (resized).JPG72FC9944-DEB5-4FB6-B29B-987D4126FC15 (resized).JPG52406CE5-E7BD-4BD4-B907-9ADD68567C5A (resized).JPG52406CE5-E7BD-4BD4-B907-9ADD68567C5A (resized).JPGD315B72E-9D94-42DD-9B6C-189CC050332A (resized).JPGD315B72E-9D94-42DD-9B6C-189CC050332A (resized).JPG
#9074 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Have you tried completely disconnecting the color dmd and see if the game boots? Do you still have the original dmd? You could install that and see if anything changes. You would need to follow the color dmd instructions to get the wiring correct.(high voltage vs. 5 vdc).
When you originally took off your backglass and speaker panel, what did you do? What was the reason for taking those off?
One more thing, I've seen whitestars not boot due to a bad backbox lamp, starter, or transformer.

I was going to install a flasher strip that mounts on the back of the game and bottom of the cabinet. Never got that far, once I realized I lost power to the dmd I started looking into that. I have lighted speakers and upgraded speakers so it’s particularly tight in the bottom right side of backbox so maybe something got pinched or shorted but I don’t see any signs of that and ive taken it out plenty of times with no issue. I put in an old dmd from a b/w game I had but nothing came up on dmd

#9075 1 year ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

I was going to install a flasher strip that mounts on the back of the game and bottom of the cabinet. Never got that far, once I realized I lost power to the dmd I started looking into that. I have lighted speakers and upgraded speakers so it’s particularly tight in the bottom right side of backbox so maybe something got pinched or shorted but I don’t see any signs of that and ive taken it out plenty of times with no issue. I put in an old dmd from a b/w game I had but nothing came up on dmd

It doesn't sound like a DMD issue to me..sounds more like a fuse/and/or harness issue. Please test all the fuses out of the cuircut (fuses can look and test fine, in cuircut!)...even check the main fuse at the transformer. Then test continuity on the wires AND connectors going to the DMD..sometimes the connectors get pulled out from the seats of the wires (and in your case, this stretching could have done this). That's about all I can give you at this point..Chris Hibler is a good repair guy if you end up having board issues.

#9076 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

It doesn't sound like a DMD issue to me..sounds more like a fuse/and/or harness issue. Please test all the fuses out of the cuircut (fuses can look and test fine, in cuircut!)...even check the main fuse at the transformer. Then test continuity on the wires AND connectors going to the DMD..sometimes the connectors get pulled out from the seats of the wires (and in your case, this stretching could have done this). That's about all I can give you at this point..Chris Hibler is a good repair guy if you end up having board issues.

Chris Hibler does great board repair.

#9077 1 year ago

Is the Consolation Balrog LOTR game adjustment 34 the one to control whether the Balrog blocks the ring path? If so I should turn to No to disable I presume?

#9078 1 year ago

Destroyed the ring for the first time today since getting my game a few months ago (been busy and unable to play much.) I love that the "main objective" was fairly easy to get, and felt satisfying, yet there's so much more to do in the game.

#9079 1 year ago
Quoted from briyau15:

Is the Consolation Balrog LOTR game adjustment 34 the one to control whether the Balrog blocks the ring path? If so I should turn to No to disable I presume?

Yes, I recommend turning off the consolation balrog. Feature Adjust 34 -> no. That disables the random 'bash the balrog' during play.

It does not affect the balrog coming out during fellowship multiball.

#9080 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Please test all the fuses out of the cuircut (fuses can look and test fine, in cuircut!)...even check the main fuse at the transformer.

This has happened to me on fuses on my Fireball II rectifier board.

#9081 1 year ago
Quoted from DragonLord:

I love the art blades btw. I just picked those same ones up and am just waiting for the opportunity to install them.

Where can I purchase the art blades?
If they are thin I think I will mylar them before putting them on. It will be a lot of extra work, but probably worth it in the long run.
Terry.

#9082 1 year ago

Fresh out of the oven art blades. They look soo good.

20221217_131535 (resized).jpg20221217_131535 (resized).jpg20221217_131540 (resized).jpg20221217_131540 (resized).jpg20221217_131544 (resized).jpg20221217_131544 (resized).jpg20221217_131550 (resized).jpg20221217_131550 (resized).jpg20221217_131554 (resized).jpg20221217_131554 (resized).jpg
#9083 1 year ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Link to purchase?

#9085 1 year ago

The ad won't let me purchase the pre-order for some reason. That's too bad. I really want these on my machine.

#9086 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

The ad won't let me purchase the pre-order for some reason. That's too bad. I really want these on my machine.

I think I had a similar issue, reached out to the seller and I can’t remember if they had to change something but we made it work somehow.

#9087 1 year ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

I love those. One of the best uses of art blades I've seen. I also love the mirror blades I've had on mine for years. I won't be switching. But if I did these would be my choice.

#9088 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

CAVE TROLL MULTIBALL?
BASH THE BALROG?
So, long story short, after a year and a half with my pin I just discovered a whole new set of features that were turned off by the factory so far as I can tell with my machine. There is an option in the menu for "Cave troll sequence". What the hell is this? It was off by default on mine, but after turning it on there is a whole new sequence with new graphics at the beginning of the Fellowship Multiball. "They have a Cave Troll!". I also changed the mystery from the default hard to medium, and I now get awarded "bash the ballrog" with a score countdown for hitting the balrog randomly in the middle of the game. I've only gotten in a few games so far but there are a few other nuggets. Have not gotten to "destroy the ring" but mine has always been a 1 ball feature where apparantly this can be a 2 ball feature? Excited to find some new stuff on the pin after all this time.

Quoted from pinballlife:

Msg him directly.

#9089 1 year ago

OK, thanks for the tip!
I have messaged him directly.

#9090 1 year ago

How is Gandalf mounted on his plastic? Trying to remove the plastic - I took the hex standoffs off but the plastic is still tight on that side / feels like I’m gonna snap it if I try to pull it up over those 2 screws any harder. Seems the front of the foot of the Gandalf plastic isn’t mounted but guessing maybe a screw on the back?

DDC9ACF2-909D-4BFA-BAAA-6CB3C68B75AC (resized).jpegDDC9ACF2-909D-4BFA-BAAA-6CB3C68B75AC (resized).jpeg

#9092 1 year ago
Quoted from Ranpastrana:

We’re they as easy as this video shows to install?

#9093 1 year ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

We’re they as easy as this video shows to install?

Well the thinner ones are not quite that easy but if you spray them with soapy water or windex first yiu can slide them around easily and then use a card to squeeze the water and bubbles out.

#9094 1 year ago

I have the ones in the picture for LOTR but I have hesitant to try them by myself as I didn’t want to ruin them.

#9095 1 year ago
Quoted from DrWaz:

I have the ones in the picture for LOTR but I have hesitant to try them by myself as I didn’t want to ruin them.

Side blades are really not that complicated to install. I've done every pair dry (because I'm a woodworker and am not a fan of wood and liquid meeting) and have never had any issues. Just get someone to push down on front of the pf while it's resting above the LDB which will lift the entire thing out of the cabinet.

#9096 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

How is Gandalf mounted on his plastic? Trying to remove the plastic - I took the hex standoffs off but the plastic is still tight on that side / feels like I’m gonna snap it if I try to pull it up over those 2 screws any harder. Seems the front of the foot of the Gandalf plastic isn’t mounted but guessing maybe a screw on the back?
[quoted image]

I just had that piece off, to make access for cleaning easier. It was on snugly, and I had to jiggle it a bit. Those two mounting posts are secured under the playfield. If they work loose over time, and they can and will, the plastic is having more of the burden of holding them in the correct position, or alignment, as it were. This will make it harder to get off, especially if that piece has never been removed in the almost twenty year life of the machine. I had to correct this type of issue on the left side sling. It came off very hard, while the right side was pretty normal. The left side sling posts, especially the upper.... were pretty loose. This also had the added effect of increased chatter from that sling during game play, which tightening eliminated.

See if you have any slop in the posts, by trying to move one with your fingers. It doesn't take a lot of force, and if there is movement I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the plastic off quite easily from the post that has the slop. Gandalf is mounted directly to the plastic with a small zip tie. It may have never been off, the game is close to twenty years old, has been played, moved around, etc. Stuff changes and works its way loose.

Take your time and don't be afraid to put a small amount of elbow grease into getting it off. The biggest problem you may run into is if it pops free suddenly and other stuff in the area gets blasted by an elbow or the side of a wrist or crap like that. I hate when that happens

The plastics that came with the game, at least in my experience, are pretty tough.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

#9097 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:I just had that piece off, to make access for cleaning easier. It was on snugly, and I had to jiggle it a bit. Those two mounting posts are secured under the playfield. If they work loose over time, and they can and will, the plastic is having more of the burden of holding them in the correct position, or alignment, as it were. This will make it harder to get off, especially if that piece has never been removed in the almost twenty year life of the machine. I had to correct this type of issue on both of the sling plastics on mine. They came off hard, but once I re-tightened the posts from under the playfield, they popped right on with no effort. I did not have to tighten the right side posts, they were still solid, however.com the left side, especially the upper post.... was pretty loose. This also had the added effect of increased chatter from that sling during game play, which tightening eliminated.
See if you have any slop in the posts, by trying to move one with your fingers. It doesn't take a lot of force, and if there is movement I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the plastic off quite easily from the post that has the slop. Gandalf is mounted directly to the plastic with a small zip tie. It may have never been off, the game is close to twenty years old, has been played, moved around, etc. Stuff changes and works its way loose.
Take your time and don't be afraid to put a small amount of elbow grease into getting it off. The biggest problem you may run into is if it pops free suddenly and other stuff in the area gets blasted by an elbow or the side of a wrist or crap like that. I hate when that happens
The plastics that came with the game, at least in my experience, are pretty tough.

#9098 1 year ago
Quoted from jlbintn:

I just had that piece off, to make access for cleaning easier. It was on snugly, and I had to jiggle it a bit. Those two mounting posts are secured under the playfield. If they work loose over time, and they can and will, the plastic is having more of the burden of holding them in the correct position, or alignment, as it were. This will make it harder to get off, especially if that piece has never been removed in the almost twenty year life of the machine. I had to correct this type of issue on both of the sling plastics on mine. They both came off hard, but the right side was fairly normal, didn't take a lot of effort. The left side sling posts, especially the upper.... were pretty loose. This also had the added effect of increased chatter from that sling during game play, which tightening eliminated.

#9099 1 year ago

Woohoo! Get to install these tonight!

BD055623-1DEF-4C3B-94F5-5D428D54D7A2 (resized).jpegBD055623-1DEF-4C3B-94F5-5D428D54D7A2 (resized).jpeg
#9100 1 year ago
Quoted from TheBeefSupreme:

Woohoo! Get to install these tonight![quoted image]

Nice packaging! I have mine in transit.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.50
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 18.95
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

€ 7.50
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 18.95
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 25.00
9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,199 posts in this topic. You are on page 182 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/182?hl=thebeefsupreme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.