IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 204.
#8701 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

After 10 years I finally got to Valinor. Bonus: on ball 1 Bonus 2: I scored like 37m as I didn’t know what I was doing. Got through most of the gifts and multiballs again, TABA a 2nd time, but ultimately fell.
[quoted image]

You need to put that in the scores section on pinside..you rank #18 buddy..CONGRATULATIONS!! how long was the game? that must have been one wild ride

#8702 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

After 10 years I finally got to Valinor. Bonus: on ball 1 Bonus 2: I scored like 37m as I didn’t know what I was doing. Got through most of the gifts and multiballs again, TABA a 2nd time, but ultimately fell.
[quoted image]

Wow. A top 20 score on LOTR is impressive. And reaching Valinor puts you in select company. I need to start playing my LOTR more! Heckuva game!

#8703 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

You need to put that in the scores section on pinside..you rank #18 buddy..CONGRATULATIONS!! how long was the game? that must have been one wild ride

Thanks! Not exactly sure on length. Probably in the 45-50 minute range. Ended up with 2 EBs from gifts, an EB from ring multiball, and I think one from Barad-Dur. I have my machine set to give an EB in lieu of a replay at a static 50mil. I also still have the tilt bob out for now as I need to address a ball hangup on the POTD, and the wife wants to learn the physics of nudge and slide (I try to give myself 2 warnings in my head). Wouldn't want to post on any sort of universal leaderboard as a result.

The 2nd run of Fellowship often takes a long time to qualify for me - this time it was surprisingly the last thing left, usually I'm still behind on ROTK. But I was hustling to finish Fellowship and had the other ball drain, had one more shot left, hit the balrog, and that was the final shot luckily. Cutting it close.

#8704 1 year ago

Anyone running the precision pinball aluminum flippers? I got mine today - I haven’t been able to get ahold of the medium strength coils so I’m hoping these + OEM coils achieves a similar result. I have been running the strong coils for a little while & they are definitely too much - in the game before the Valinor game last night, I had a ball spin off the left ramp rail right into the left outlane.

DFC7A48E-5A4A-4FDA-B386-328E00B0E812 (resized).jpegDFC7A48E-5A4A-4FDA-B386-328E00B0E812 (resized).jpeg
#8705 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Love the diagram! . Time to go to the hardware store and see what I can find

The have nice looking wood horizontal knife stands that are only $15-$20

#8706 1 year ago
Quoted from blizz81:

Anyone running the precision pinball aluminum flippers? I got mine today - I haven’t been able to get ahold of the medium strength coils so I’m hoping these + OEM coils achieves a similar result. I have been running the strong coils for a little while & they are definitely too much - in the game before the Valinor game last night, I had a ball spin off the left ramp rail right into the left outlane.
[quoted image]

I have the precision flippers in my LOTR. Immediately noticed more power. Then the fade came. Also the stock spring to return the flipper to resting isn't strong enough now.
All in all, I'd say it was an improvement. I need to do more tweaks and probably get coil fans.

#8707 1 year ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

I have the precision flippers in my LOTR. Immediately noticed more power. Then the fade came.

I know the hope in the thread was that these resisted fade more than the OEM assembly, but nobody had done any temp recording, etc. Was thinking DIY fans might be in my future.

#8708 1 year ago

I have precision flippers in my game. Using standard coils and DIY coil fans. Also, my flippers have been rebuilt, new sleeves, plunger, and coil stops.
Game plays great, no power or fade issues that I can tell.

#8709 1 year ago

I have these..https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1113-arcademade/05673-lit-kit-flippers-for-lord-of-the-rings-stern-pinball-mod
which I installed in my LotR..it actually got me a quick 75million..highest score so far (haven't had a lot of time on that pin)..anyways, I think they look great, but they are too powerful for the machine, imo..so I'm selling these..pm if interested. (I would rather have a light option on stock, hollow bats-if I had it my way)
$80 shipped CONUS.

IMG_8831 (resized).jpegIMG_8831 (resized).jpeg

#8710 1 year ago

sold my LOTR and I have a brand new set of cliffy protectors available.
The complete kit without the enhanced ramp flaps.

Asking 100$ usd + shipping

please PM me

#8711 1 year ago

Thinking of buying a LOTR. Trying to think of fitting in car. is it easy enough to remove the head on this game? Disconnect several connectors under playfield, undo hinge bolts, undo rear head bolts? 10 minutes?

#8712 1 year ago

i did some days ago, there is a bit less cables than a bally / williams from 95, still add tags to each cable, will be easy to match the cables , i did that and it took me around 15 minutes to take it off, and around 20 to 30 minutes to mount all again

#8713 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

Thinking of buying a LOTR. Trying to think of fitting in car. is it easy enough to remove the head on this game? Disconnect several connectors under playfield, undo hinge bolts, undo rear head bolts? 10 minutes?

You would unplug the connectors inside the backbox since the wires under the playfield are secured and may not all have connections and there are also wires going around cabinet. Take lots of photos and note connectors not used, etc.

Best way is track down friend or family member with a van or decent sized SUV. (32" tall opening back door is plenty)

Here is a LotR backbox pic:

IMG_1841 (resized).jpgIMG_1841 (resized).jpg

#8714 1 year ago

Hi all, having a strange issue with the post that holds the balls on the Aragon ramp
It's started stuttering up and down before finally releasing a ball sometimes. Any ideas?

#8715 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi all, having a strange issue with the post that holds the balls on the Aragon ramp
It's started stuttering up and down before finally releasing a ball sometimes. Any ideas?

I'd first test your (pin)balls with a small washer and see if any of them have started to magnetize (which may esp be an issue if you just replaced them and put normal chrome balls in - I did that and it only took a few games for the ramp post to stop reliably letting balls through). If that's not it, you can remove the mechanism pretty easily and test for any binding or issues with the plunger hanging up / clean it all up.

#8716 1 year ago

.... solved

#8717 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

Hello, just installed a LCD color dmd, i installed the rom, it appears "Lord of the rings" correctly when I install the rom but after it makes this
[quoted image]

Reversed ribbon cable?

#8718 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Use a few balls and test the switches there. If the switch is misadjusted or has a loose wire it might make the lock behave abnormally.

#8719 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Reversed ribbon cable?

Yes, it was that!
I thought i had deleted my post since i discovered that some minutes after posting. But apparently the "bin" doesn't delete the comment.

#8720 1 year ago

Hi. Can anyone tell me how many volts go to the bulb inside balrog? I tried measuring the volts during flasher test and it quickly goes to something around 3-4 volts but it’s also flashing. Not sure if it’s 12 or 5v. My goal is to add a light strip to it to interact with balrog but not sure it can handle a light strip and also not sure if I should use a 12 or 5v led light strip. Thank you for your help.

#8721 1 year ago

Any suggestions for improving the lighting? My LOTR is so dark when I have my roo lights off and only my neon sign lighting the room. I have real trouble following the ball. My LOTR has incandecent bulbs. This one and my WOZ are pretty dark compared to my other games. Thanks

#8722 1 year ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

Any suggestions for improving the lighting? My LOTR is so dark when I have my roo lights off and only my neon sign lighting the room. I have real trouble following the ball. My LOTR has incandecent bulbs. This one and my WOZ are pretty dark compared to my other games. Thanks

I bought the led kit from comet including the OCD board and can see perfectly now in a dark room.

20220604_142753 (resized).jpg20220604_142753 (resized).jpg
#8723 1 year ago

Pinstadiums?

#8724 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hi. Can anyone tell me how many volts go to the bulb inside balrog? I tried measuring the volts during flasher test and it quickly goes to something around 3-4 volts but it’s also flashing. Not sure if it’s 12 or 5v. My goal is to add a light strip to it to interact with balrog but not sure it can handle a light strip and also not sure if I should use a 12 or 5v led light strip. Thank you for your help.

It's a 12V flasher. It's an #89 bayonet.

Screenshot_20220926-074620_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220926-074620_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220926-074809_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220926-074809_Gallery (resized).jpg
#8725 1 year ago

Nope just the LED kit.

#8726 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Nope just the LED kit.

Does the LED kit include the extra spotlights? I feel the stock spotlight placements a little underwhelming. What bulbs do you have in the spotlights?
I went with pinstadiums, but understand those that prefer incandescent lighting on this game probably would prefer not to as it would wash out the warm feel.

#8727 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

There are 2 styles. Incandescent and LED. Note the warning just above the picture of the Balrog. You will need to check your machine.

I don't know the specs about the LED version but the incandescent bulb is 12V as mentioned by @vernisious. HOWEVER!!! The voltage sent to it is much higher than 12V. It's identified as 20V but can be higher because it's unregulated. It gets pulsed ON/OFF rapidly (100's or 1000's times per second) which is why an incandescent bulb can handle it. If you connect a 12V LED strip you will blow it.

Manual (resized).pngManual (resized).png
#8728 1 year ago
Quoted from TheShaft:

Does the LED kit include the extra spotlights? I feel the stock spotlight placements a little underwhelming. What bulbs do you have in the spotlights?
I went with pinstadiums, but understand those that prefer incandescent lighting on this game probably would prefer not to as it would wash out the warm feel.

Yep includes the two spotlights. I do not exactly recall what the bulb is, probably cool white or similar.

#8729 1 year ago

Finished the interactive topper. Soldered two wires to B and common on 12v led strip and spliced into balrog light. Lights up blue when balrog is lit.

FC624FA2-6B4A-4F43-87E8-B5259C621B8A (resized).jpegFC624FA2-6B4A-4F43-87E8-B5259C621B8A (resized).jpeg
#8730 1 year ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

Pinstadiums are incredible on this pin. Fun fact, Pinstadiums were first designed for Lord of the rings. So not only do they brighten it up a ton but also they are interactive. The effects with the path of the dead UV and the Balrog are super cool.

#8731 1 year ago

Joined the club! I'm a bit jealous of the few amazing condition HUO games I've seen here recently. This one definitely has some miles on it and needs some work, but price was right and the playfield seems decent. Will be back in the upcoming days with lots of questions!

PXL_20220927_000608937 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_000608937 (resized).jpg
#8732 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Finished the interactive topper. Soldered two wires to B and common on 12v led strip and spliced into balrog light. Lights up blue when balrog is lit.
[quoted image]

Good Job, well done! glad you were able to get the sword mounted, and go even farther with the lighting! looks really cool man.

#8733 1 year ago

Hi everyone,

I'm replacing rubbers and I'm getting intimated by the center ring ramp. There's a lot piled on top of the rubber which separates the center loop and the ring ramp, and of course the spinner's mechanical switch is also on that side.

From the perspective of someone who's a bit of a novice at removing ramps, much less ones with "complications" like this one, do you have any advice? I'm happy to take the whole center ramp off to replace the rubber if it's necessary, but can I sneak around that spinner switch and get a new rubber on there without a full removal? And if there's no way around it, any tips on a ring-ramp-ectomy?

Thanks as always,

Evan

#8734 1 year ago

The center ramp is only held in by two bolts if I remember correctly. I would just remove it and set it aside.

#8735 1 year ago

Sharing some more pics of the LOTR I just acquired. I will probably be back for gameplay/mechanical/electrical advice but first focusing on cleaning/repairing/preserving playfield.

It needs some cleaning and waxing but overall pretty happy with the playfield surface itself. But this i my first older game. I am not sure what I need to do to maintain it. for my GZ I just use novus 1 and carnauba wax. Should i do the same for this playfield?

As far as stuff mounted to playfield anyone see any glarinmg issues, missing pieces? (besides figures/figure bits, i'll figure that out).

I'm going to install the cliffy set. anything else important to preserve the machine? One spot im concerned about is wireform drop over right inlane. There's mylar there, the mylar feels a bit worn also though. Not sure if should leave it or try to put fresh mylar there.

Interest in getting this machine into good shape and keeping it that way. Any feedback/critiques/comments very appreciated!

PXL_20220927_145314925 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145314925 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145321235 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145321235 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145337220 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145337220 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145328207 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145328207 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145226246 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145226246 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145430247 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145430247 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145232482 (resized).jpgPXL_20220927_145232482 (resized).jpg
#8736 1 year ago

refer to vid's guide to cleaning the playfield

vacuum up all the lose dust and debris. give it a wipe down with naphtha and see how it looks. Maybe if there's some real caked on grime you may need to use novus 2 but it may not be necessary. Then give it a good wax with carnuba wax.

It looks like it's in pretty good shape. If you want to replace that mylar there's guides for that too. I've used the compressed air method with good results. You also may want to look into a set of cliffy protectors.

#8737 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Good Job, well done! glad you were able to get the sword mounted, and go even farther with the lighting! looks really cool man.

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up using strong tape to hold that mount so no drilling

#8738 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

sold my LOTR and I have a brand new set of cliffy protectors available.
The complete kit without the enhanced ramp flaps.
Asking 100$ usd + shipping
please PM me

sold

#8739 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Thanks for the ideas. I ended up using strong tape to hold that mount so no drilling

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you drill ANYTHING to the cabinet ..which I think I mentioned before. Glad I could give you some ideers, as the other guy about the knife holder velcro is also an option, but some styles of velcro can leave a nasty mess after time. BTW, I use progressive strips? cut to size, to place toys on playfield ramps, plastics, etc...removal is very painless, and doesn't hurt those materials.

#8740 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Oh, I wasn't suggesting you drill ANYTHING to the cabinet ..which I think I mentioned before. Glad I could give you some ideers, as the other guy about the knife holder velcro is also an option, but some styles of velcro can leave a nasty mess after time. BTW, I use progressive strips? cut to size, to place toys on playfield ramps, plastics, etc...removal is very painless, and doesn't hurt those materials.

I know you weren’t suggesting drilling, I was. I figure it would make you happy that I didn’t drill

#8741 1 year ago
Quoted from ShineSpark:

Hi everyone,
I'm replacing rubbers and I'm getting intimated by the center ring ramp. There's a lot piled on top of the rubber which separates the center loop and the ring ramp, and of course the spinner's mechanical switch is also on that side.
From the perspective of someone who's a bit of a novice at removing ramps, much less ones with "complications" like this one, do you have any advice? I'm happy to take the whole center ramp off to replace the rubber if it's necessary, but can I sneak around that spinner switch and get a new rubber on there without a full removal? And if there's no way around it, any tips on a ring-ramp-ectomy?
Thanks as always,
Evan

Just take lots of reference photos from different angles and set your parts down aligned to how they came out of the machine. You'll do great!

#8742 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

The center ramp is only held in by two bolts if I remember correctly. I would just remove it and set it aside.

Thanks! Will very slowly and carefully give it a try.

#8743 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Just take lots of reference photos from different angles and set your parts down aligned to how they came out of the machine. You'll do great!

Thank you!

#8744 1 year ago

Welcome to the Fellowship!

#8745 1 year ago

I ended up buying pinstadiums. Did I make a mistake not getting the upgrade to neo?

#8746 1 year ago
Quoted from Farmboss:

I ended up buying pinstadiums. Did I make a mistake not getting the upgrade to neo?

Yes. Once you see the striping on the sword(or any other metal reflective surface) you will never unsee it.

#8747 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hi. Can anyone tell me how many volts go to the bulb inside balrog? I tried measuring the volts during flasher test

This the Balrog LED upgrade kit from service bulletin 148 that includes the flasher and socket. I installed one of these 5yrs ago and it has worked fine since. It's not supper bright but lights up the Balrog OK.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5022-00

#8748 1 year ago

This the Balrog LED upgrade kit from service bulletin 148 that includes the flasher and socket. I installed one of these 5yrs ago and it has worked fine since. It's not supper bright but lights up the Balrog OK.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-5022-00</blockquote

Pinball Life has a better replacement LED bulb.

#8749 1 year ago

Anyone have a recommendation for lighted speakers?

#8750 1 year ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Anyone have a recommendation for lighted speakers?

https://speakerlightkits.com/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 7.50
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 175 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/175 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.