IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,195 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 204.
#8601 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

thx for elaborating.

Sure, one thing that may not come through as well in the pics is the amount of green glow the star posts give to the laser etching. It's pretty sweet

#8602 1 year ago

Many months ago I started a journey to perform a playfield swap. Of course, family and work got in the way, so one thing led to another, and one year later the machine is still not operational...

Basically, here's where I stand: all inserts and electronic mechs beneath the playfield are assembled. It's the topside that I need to assemble.

But of course, every time I want to work on it, I'm wondering... where in the world do I start ?? Because it's been so long that I can't remember in which order should I reassemble everything.

So after a few months hiatus, I really want to get back to it, so guidance would be welcome

Cheers

#8603 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

As a follow-up to the post of Pinball_Gizzard, I'm going to do a one-time run of custom plastics for the 2003 version of LOTR (I know the Path of the Dead plastic will NOT fit the 2009 version, but do not know if the other plastics will or not).
Pricing is as follows and includes US shipping (will quote international shipping as needed).
- Path of the Dead Plastic with etching (2003 version only) | $46
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
- Arwen Plastic (made from extra thick 1/8" extruded acrylic) | $22
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
- Wireframe ball bracket plastic (single mount point plus adhesive to secure in place) | $12
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Total for the 3 pieces priced separately is $80 but if you order together, I will discount to $75 including US shipping.
Please PM me if interested in purchasing during this one-time run, and I will close orders in a week or so (I'll post updates regarding cut-off times).
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/172#post-7085389

Couple of orders for custom plastics so far. Orders will be cutoff sometime no later than next Friday depending on response.

#8604 1 year ago
Quoted from PantherCityPins:

I used Comet Matrix for the lighting. There are three green star post LEDs which are affixed to the underside of the upper clear acrylic piece with double sided tape. The wires run down underneath the laser etched path and aren't visible from above. The wires are routed out through the same slot the main connector goes through and then alligator clipped to a GI bulb under the playfield. If you wanted to link the lights to the flashers at the rear of the POTD you could do so fairly easily.
The figures are attached with the same Gorilla mounting tape to the top of the etched acrylic piece and just placed over top of the star posts below.

Quoted from flynnibus:

thx for elaborating.

FYI if you do attach those to the POTD lights (I have the same setup) you do need diodes for them to light correctly because POTD are matrixed lights

#8605 1 year ago

Anybody using these solid resin lit flippers? I like the look of them, and liked my score after installing them! BUT I feel like they are going to wear out my machine if I use these for much longer. Because they really blast through everything (more power because they are solid). Plus I feel like it’s cheating. Anybody care to chime in on these?

67226834-7F1F-4D41-A996-EA1DDF3CCA7A (resized).jpeg67226834-7F1F-4D41-A996-EA1DDF3CCA7A (resized).jpeg
#8606 1 year ago

My journey just began! I have what looks to be an almost new LOTR machine with a color DMD with what otherwise looks like a blank slate when it comes to mods. It looks like there are a lot of great options for this one, so this should be fun!

One thing I noticed is that it looks like a bulb is missing. Does anyone know where I should look to find the replacement part?

I was also wondering if there was a figurine missing where this vertical nail-like post is sticking up.

Finally, it looks like the Palantir target (which is begging for a decal of some sort) is really off-centered. Is this atypical?

20220819_153622 (resized).jpg20220819_153622 (resized).jpg20220819_155856 (resized).jpg20220819_155856 (resized).jpg
#8607 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

My journey just began! I have what looks to be an almost new LOTR machine with a color DMD with what otherwise looks like a blank slate when it comes to mods. It looks like there are a lot of great options for this one, so this should be fun!

One thing I noticed is that it looks like a bulb is missing. Does anyone know where I should look to find the replacement part?

I was also wondering if there was a figurine missing where this vertical nail-like post is sticking up.

Finally, it looks like the Palantir target (which is begging for a decal of some sort) is really off-centered. Is this atypical?

Welcome to the club!

No bulb missing. Originally there was a Red Flasher bulb there, and yours has been replaced with an LED flasher. I found a red bulb condom to cover the LED flasher installed there on mine.

No Figurine missing. That post is just there to keep balls from getting stuck.

Targets get pushed sideways sometimes. The leaning standup target can be removed from the bottom, and then you loosen up the leaf switch stack and make it straight.

Your pin looks to be in great condition. The Gimli saucer shown in your photo has no wear.

#8608 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Congratulations and welcome to The Fellowship! I scored my huo lotr really modded for 7K. Yeah, got lucky (how much did you get yours for??) and have installed yet even more mods paths of the dead, palantir globe, ring of fire mod, balrog lit whip. It’s pretty modded up. Color dmd, pinsound board (highly recommended!), orthanc tower, mt doom back insert, led ocd board, etc. it’s truly an epic pin, stock or modded!

#8609 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

I put in an 8 SMD red #906 flasher. I think it looks better.

#8610 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

All your questions look to have been answered, but the target is probably bent due to poor design. They make a much stronger version of that.

#8611 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

They make brackets to correct the leaning stand up targets. I’ve installed a few on some other Stern pins (Tron, etc) and they work well. LOTR is one of the very best pins to modify. There are so many great options from the path of the dead mod, volcano, fire ring, etched plastic, Palantir mod, and many more. Have fun!

#8612 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

All your questions look to have been answered, but the target is probably bent due to poor design. They make a much stronger version of that.

Quoted from Pinkitten:

They make brackets to correct the leaning stand up targets. I’ve installed a few on some other Stern pins (Tron, etc) and they work well. LOTR is one of the very best pins to modify. There are so many great options from the path of the dead mod, volcano, fire ring, etched plastic, Palantir mod, and many more. Have fun!

Got a link for that target and bracket? I have a huo lotr too.
Thx

#8613 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Thx

Marco sells them.

#8615 1 year ago
Quoted from rdleifriaf:

Quoted from Neal_W:

Welcome to the club!
No bulb missing. Originally there was a Red Flasher bulb there, and yours has been replaced with an LED flasher. I found a red bulb condom to cover the LED flasher installed there on mine.
No Figurine missing. That post is just there to keep balls from getting stuck.
Targets get pushed sideways sometimes. The leaning standup target can be removed from the bottom, and then you loosen up the leaf switch stack and make it straight.
Your pin looks to be in great condition. The Gimli saucer shown in your photo has no wear.

Quoted from drummermike:

I put in an 8 SMD red #906 flasher. I think it looks better.

I lot of people (myself included) keep that bulb as incandescent because it’s supposed to fade on and off gradually during the wraith mode. LEDs wouldn’t do that… unless maybe you had an LED OCD board, youd have to try it.

Marco carries the incandescents for fairly cheap if you’re already ordering and can justify the shipping.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-0906R

#8616 1 year ago
Quoted from adrock:

I lot of people (myself included) keep that bulb as incandescent because it’s supposed to fade on and off gradually during the wraith mode. LEDs wouldn’t do that… unless maybe you had an LED OCD board, youd have to try it.
Marco carries the incandescents for fairly cheap if you’re already ordering and can justify the shipping.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-0906R

wonder if just sticking the right capacitor in series would help mimic the effect a little??

#8617 1 year ago
Quoted from Sorokyl:

wonder if just sticking the right capacitor in series would help mimic the effect a little??

Not likely. LEDs tend to be on or off. Very little dimming possible.

You could just stick the correct incandescent bulb in. No mods. No flickering. And you'll get a pulsing flasher as designed.

#8618 1 year ago

This game looks beautiful with incandescents. I haven’t seen what an led ocd board can do but when I first got my game it had leds and looked terrible.

#8619 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

This game looks beautiful with incandescents. I haven’t seen what an led ocd board can do but when I first got my game it had leds and looked terrible.

Agree ^
To each their own, of course, and I've seen it first hand and up close both ways, but I'm also in the camp that really thinks this game looks best with incandescent lighting throughout.
The warm glow and the way the lights pulse at times looks like embers burning across the playfield and it really puts me in the right mood for this game.

#8620 1 year ago
Quoted from Tommy_Pins:

LEDS are not created equal! Mine came with comet LEDs plus an ocd board. It looks beautiful. Otoh, i just got a Spiderman shipped to me with led pinball bulbs and it looks lame. There are differences in LEDS

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#8621 1 year ago

Warm white comet led with ocd board and gizmo
Flashers still incandescent

00552D55-428F-4873-8E32-BEF1A2185944 (resized).jpeg00552D55-428F-4873-8E32-BEF1A2185944 (resized).jpeg
#8622 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Warm white comet led with ocd board and gizmo
Flashers still incandescent
[quoted image]

yeah same here, great combo.

#8623 1 year ago

I’m an led guy, but not in lotr. The ocd board probably helps but I haven’t seen it in person.

#8624 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

LEDS are not created equal! Mine came with comet LEDs plus an ocd board. It looks beautiful. Otoh, i just got a Spiderman shipped to me with led pinball bulbs and it looks lame. There are differences in LEDS

Yup, I like the cool white GI in my Fish Tales with the green/blue art, but on some pins it looks too much like a refrigerator. Some warm white or sunlight GI bulbs around the slings on Spiderman would help.

#8625 1 year ago

Incandescents on this game with some extra double spotlights (also incandescent) about the pf to add in overall lighting.

PXL_20220709_131748814~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220709_131748814~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220709_131813000~2 (resized).jpgPXL_20220709_131813000~2 (resized).jpg
#8626 1 year ago

Warm white or Sunlight LEDs look pretty nice on LOTR, if you have the inserts OCD board. I installed one last year and it made a huge difference. The LEDs flickered badly before I added the OCD board. Incandescent bulbs do look great in LOTR tho.

#8627 1 year ago
Quoted from Paseb:

Thx

These work well too, for $6 from Mezel Mods. You can get them for narrow stand ups or the wider/square ones like the Palantir. Takes maybe 15 mins to install.

25E1ABEB-1658-4205-9282-969FF52FAEBA (resized).png25E1ABEB-1658-4205-9282-969FF52FAEBA (resized).png
#8628 1 year ago
Quoted from adrock:

FYI if you do attach those to the POTD lights (I have the same setup) you do need diodes for them to light correctly because POTD are matrixed lights

Excellent point!

#8629 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/172#post-7085389
Couple of orders for custom plastics so far. Orders will be cutoff sometime no later than next Friday depending on response.

Cutoff for plastic orders will be This Wednesday at end of day (i.e. Thursday morning is too late). Thanks to those who have ordered thus far, and if you are on the fence you need to make a decision very soon.

#8630 1 year ago

Hello I have a 2006 Lotr. I’m thinking of adding nvram. Is this the right version? I see two of them at pinball life. Do I just replace it with the u212 chip? Also do I need to remove the battery holder or just removing the batteries is fine? I don’t know how to remove battery holder if necessary. Scores will still be kept with nvram right? Sorry for the multiple questions https://www.pinballlife.com/anypin-dmd-nvram-battery-eliminator.html

#8631 1 year ago

Cutoff for plastics orders is tonight at midnight - no exceptions. Please PM me today if you want to take part.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#8632 1 year ago
Quoted from Medic:

Hello I have a 2006 Lotr. I’m thinking of adding nvram. Is this the right version? I see two of them at pinball life. Do I just replace it with the u212 chip? Also do I need to remove the battery holder or just removing the batteries is fine? I don’t know how to remove battery holder if necessary. Scores will still be kept with nvram right? Sorry for the multiple questions https://www.pinballlife.com/anypin-dmd-nvram-battery-eliminator.html

This is the one I used

Ramtron FM1608 NVRAM - 28 Pin DIP (Replaces 6264 RAM)

From Matt’s basement arcade. Check the number on your current chip, mine said 6264 so this was the replacement. Just pull the old one out and stick this in, but be careful of bending pins (or use a chip puller).

I would advise against removing the battery holder. You don’t need to. Just take out the batteries. I cut the little cable tie thinking that would remove it and it didn’t. I think you’d have to go behind the head board. Just leave it.

#8633 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

I can’t wait until the fire ring is made again. Coolest mod on LOTR

#8634 1 year ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I can’t wait until the fire ring is made again. Coolest mod on LOTR

I can’t imagine my machine without it, and the balrog whip. And..and........lol. It is a truly rad mod.

#8635 1 year ago

Plastics orders are closed. Thank you to everyone who ordered, and I'll let everyone know when shipped (please allow up to two weeks, but may be sooner).

#8636 1 year ago

I've got an uninstalled Balrog Whip mod, and I can't find any installation instructions for it. Would anyone be able to point me to where I can find the instructions? Thanks!

#8637 1 year ago

Hello all you Lords out there!
Next friday i will turn into a Lord too!
Meanwhile i have some minor questions:
-What's the difference from the version from 2003 and 2009, i saw that there is two different versions but i can't find the differences.
-EDIT ( already found some photos on the forum, so it's almost like a bally / williams dot, i will just rent a bigger car ) EDIT Can someone show me a photo of the electronics in backbox, so i can see if is easy to remove the cables and unmount the backbox from the main box, to put it in my car, i do that with the new stern since there is not too much cables, but for the old bally / williams there is a bit too much cables to remove and i prefer to rent a car. EDIT

Thank you all in advance

#8638 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

-What's the difference from the version from 2003 and 2009, i saw that there is two different versions but i can't find the differences.
-EDIT ( already found some photos on the forum, so it's almost like a bally / williams dot, i will just rent a bigger car ) EDIT Can someone show me a photo of the electronics in backbox, so i can see if is easy to remove the cables and unmount the backbox from the main box, to put it in my car, i do that with the new stern since there is not too much cables, but for the old bally / williams there is a bit too much cables to remove and i prefer to rent a car. EDIT
Thank you all in advance

Search the thread, this question has been asked at least a couple of times before

#8639 1 year ago
Quoted from blazingsaddlz:

I've got an uninstalled Balrog Whip mod, and I can't find any installation instructions for it. Would anyone be able to point me to where I can find the instructions? Thanks!

It’s a Dropbox link and he has to share it with you. PM PersonX99

#8640 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

Thank you all in advance

Question..why would you need to take the backbox off?? Is this a geo metro? Because folding the backbox down gives most cars plenty of headroom left. Forgive my curiosity, but you DO know these backboxes fold down over the main cabinet, right? Yeah, the old pins bolted in and needed to be taken off. But anything above ‘82 or around there, folded down.

#8641 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Question..why would you need to take the backbox off?? Is this a geo metro? Because folding the backbox down gives most cars plenty of headroom left. Forgive my curiosity, but you DO know these backboxes fold down over the main cabinet, right? Yeah, the old pins bolted in and needed to be taken off. But anything above ‘82 or around there, folded down.

Hello, because the height doesn't let me put all inside. I once tried with the backbox folded and doesn't fit by 3 cm
But when i take the
I have a small car, Citroen C3.

adrock , yes found it after posting , and i thought "draining" my message would delete it, but apparently you can see it

#8642 1 year ago

Recently raised my play field to change out a bulb. When I fired it back up the Pop bumpers don’t work. I checked the wires to the little fuse block, everything seemed OK. It might be from that fuse to the board, where does it go into the board from the fuse?

EE55F158-F92A-4F2E-B5C6-606AA09826C4 (resized).jpegEE55F158-F92A-4F2E-B5C6-606AA09826C4 (resized).jpeg
#8643 1 year ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Simply because in France many many cars (actually the majority) cannot accommodate a folded down pinball machine.

Mine does, but it's not the majority by far.

#8644 1 year ago
Quoted from Days:

. I once tried with the backbox folded and doesn't fit by 3 cm

Some undo the hinge bolts and then lay down the head and slide the head toward the lock bar a bit, since there is slack in the cables. That should save you 3cm, but I have not done it myself.

#8645 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Simply because in France many many cars (actually the majority) cannot accommodate a folded down pinball machine.
Mine does, but it's not the majority by far.

Yeah, I imagine that’s an issue alright. I’d immediately get a hatchback, and let that pin hang out, with tie downs. Preferably in dry weather lol. I’d be modding the car, way before taking pins apart!

#8646 1 year ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Some undo the hinge bolts and then lay down the head and slide the head toward the lock bar a bit, since there is slack in the cables. That should save you 3cm, but I have not done it myself.

Hooooo this could work!!!!!!
thank you for the advise!
I will try sunday!
Thanks!

#8647 1 year ago

Joined the club today, game was only 30 minutes from me, people bought it brand new and it never moved. I don't think they ever played it after the first few years. Needs cleaned and waxed, rubbers, , older coupl, I don't think they ever had the playfield up.. looking forward to spending some time on it

PXL_20220831_200125343 (resized).jpgPXL_20220831_200125343 (resized).jpgPXL_20220831_230546109 (resized).jpgPXL_20220831_230546109 (resized).jpg
#8648 1 year ago

I am the proud owner of a LOTR for about a month. 20 yr HUO & has original posts, rubbers, etc. While I am waiting for my Plantir Mod, titans, & hopefully, Mr Tantrum’s acrylics, etc, I have read many of your comments, suggestions, & how-to responses. Without a doubt, you constitute the most supportive, knowledgeable, & helpful forum I have scanned. As I begin my minor refurb, I want to thank you all, in advance for all that you have contributed. There, now I won’t feel so bad when I return to ask dumb questions. But, I promise to search the forum before I ask!

#8649 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

Joined the club today, game was only 30 minutes from me, people bought it brand new and it never moved. I don't think they ever played it after the first few years. Needs cleaned and waxed, rubbers, , older coupl, I don't think they ever had the playfield up.. looking forward to spending some time on it

Holy Crap! What a find! I bet you got a good price on it as well! Im a third owner of a HUO unit. I feel lucky. And it’s now modded to kingdom come.

9D12802F-440E-4BDE-9025-112449F7A893 (resized).jpeg9D12802F-440E-4BDE-9025-112449F7A893 (resized).jpeg
#8650 1 year ago
Quoted from Mitoska:

man.. where do you guys find these gems?? some site? local community / word of mouth?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 18.95
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 39.50
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 10,195 posts in this topic. You are on page 173 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/173 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.