IMG_7027 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7019 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3090 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4036 (resized).jpg
IMG_4034 (resized).jpg
IMG_3077 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20240331_163644 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 204.
#7851 2 years ago

Is it still possible to buy a whip for balrog?

#7852 2 years ago

Installed sillyoldelf LOTR art blades. Turned out great!

The Prancing Pony
pp (resized).jpgpp (resized).jpg

Gandalf and the Shire
sh (resized).jpgsh (resized).jpg

POTD
potd (resized).jpgpotd (resized).jpg

#7853 2 years ago
Quoted from ginmd:

The Prancing Pony
[quoted image]
Gandalf and the Shire
[quoted image]
POTD
[quoted image]

Very nice!

#7854 2 years ago
Quoted from Medic:

Is it still possible to buy a whip for balrog?

Just bought one from PersonX99 yesterday! He just “whipped” up a batch.

#7855 2 years ago

Sad.....the top plastic ring of my barad-dur broke off. I don't remember seeing any comments/posts about broken barad-durs in this thread. Am I mistaken? Anybody have an idea how to creatively reattach this without buying another one for $50?

20211207_190319 (resized).jpg20211207_190319 (resized).jpg

#7856 2 years ago

Could someone post me a picture of the socket cabling on a LOTR shooter lane (the 9 controlled inserts which are in row, just next to the shooter lane)

I've been debugging my LOTR insert matrix problems, and everything points toward an issue with the shooter lane. I'm therefore starting to think the wiring of all sockets of the shooter lane is incorrect. It did not appear with incandescent because the low residual voltage (6V, 10ms pulse) is not sufficient to turn them on (I tested), but led are affected.

#7857 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Could someone post me a picture of the socket cabling on a LOTR shooter lane (the 9 controlled inserts which are in row, just next to the shooter lane)
I've been debugging my LOTR insert matrix problems, and everything points toward an issue with the shooter lane. I'm therefore starting to think the wiring of all sockets of the shooter lane is incorrect. It did not appear with incandescent because the low residual voltage (6V, 10ms pulse) is not sufficient to turn them on (I tested), but led are affected.

Are there any lit mods or additional lighting added to your machine? I had a lamp matrix issue once and it was caused by an added small led strip(hidden and took me a while to find) that was added/soldered to an insert (without a diode) which wreaked havoc on the whole matrix.

#7858 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Are there any lit mods or additional lighting added to your machine? I had a lamp matrix issue once and it was caused by an added small led strip(hidden and took me a while to find) that was added/soldered to an insert (without a diode) which wreaked havoc on the whole matrix.

Not that I know off. But I'll check again (I did a playfield swap, so I should have noticed, but you never know)

#7859 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Not that I know off. But I'll check again (I did a playfield swap, so I should have noticed, but you never know)

Actually the PF swap is probably the cause now that you mention it. Check the sockets for debris also that may be causing a short.

#7860 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Actually the PF swap is probably the cause now that you mention it. Check the sockets for debris also that may be causing a short.

It's not. It's working correctly with incandescent, but based on what's below this is pure luck, and because incandescent do not light up at lower voltage.

I checked the soldering on the shooter lane, compared it with the manual, and did a continuity test. They wired it wrong in manufacturing, the wiring is such that it's as if the diode was not present at all (they reversed two lugs assuming they were interchangeable, and reversed the diode accordingly, without realizing that with this wiring, one leg of the diode is... Left floating. Not connected to anything).

That explains pretty much all of my behavior, since the whole shooter lane is wired like this, an entire row without any diode...

#7861 2 years ago
Quoted from Gogdog:

Sad.....the top plastic ring of my barad-dur broke off. I don't remember seeing any comments/posts about broken barad-durs in this thread. Am I mistaken? Anybody have an idea how to creatively reattach this without buying another one for $50?
[quoted image]

Take it to the hardware store and see if you can find a finish washer or cupped washer that is a little wider than the hole.

#7862 2 years ago

Ashram56 Couldn't get a good shot of the light sockets. Hope this helps.

IMG-0659 (resized).jpgIMG-0659 (resized).jpgIMG-0661 (resized).jpgIMG-0661 (resized).jpg

IMG-0663 (resized).jpgIMG-0663 (resized).jpg
#7863 2 years ago
Quoted from ginmd:

Ashram56 Couldn't get a good shot of the light sockets. Hope this helps.
[quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image]

Thanks that confirms my suspicion

My whole shooter lane is wired incorrectly. And that's obviously a manufacturing error. It's only because the original inserts are incandescent that it worked in the first place

#7864 2 years ago
Quoted from ginmd:

The Prancing Pony
[quoted image]
Gandalf and the Shire
[quoted image]
POTD
[quoted image]

Thanks for the feedback and pics. Looks great. Just finishing watching the films again in 4K. Epic.
I will be doing another run after christmas for art blades.

#7865 2 years ago

I’m about to agree to a trade for a LotR (non LE). While doing my research on this pin I’m seeing a lot about flipper coils … which to my understanding is to strength and increase the longevity of the flippers? Is this simply because the game tends to be longer ball times, or is there something wrong with the flippers?

How would I know if the flippers on the machine I’m looking at has had this fixed recently (without playing the game for hours)? Is there a way I can tell by simply looking under the playfield?

Thank you so much! Hoping to be part of the LotR family soon!

#7866 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

I’m about to agree to a trade for a LotR (non LE). While doing my research on this pin I’m seeing a lot about flipper coils … which to my understanding is to strength and increase the longevity of the flippers? Is this simply because the game tends to be longer ball times, or is there something wrong with the flippers?
How would I know if the flippers on the machine I’m looking at has had this fixed recently (without playing the game for hours)? Is there a way I can tell by simply looking under the playfield?
Thank you so much! Hoping to be part of the LotR family soon!

New coils are $20, literally don't even give it one more second of thought. Get the pin now and if you see an issue, order yourself the APB medium strength coils later on. And yes, if you're looking at long play sessions the coils can heat up and lose power. Not a big deal with a very easy solution.

#7867 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

New coils are $20, literally don't even give it one more second of thought. Get the pin now and if you see an issue, order yourself the APB medium strength coils later on. And yes, if you're looking at long play sessions the coils can heat up and lose power. Not a big deal with a very easy solution.

Thank you for your reply. I’m not necessarily worried about the cost of the coils, but more so my inability to replace them myself if they need to be replaced. Are they extremely easy to replace? Are the medium coils that I need for this particular pin readily available?

#7868 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

Thank you for your reply. I’m not necessarily worried about the cost of the coils, but more so my inability to replace them myself if they need to be replaced. Are they extremely easy to replace? Are the medium coils that I need for this particular pin readily available?

Yes it's easy with just simple hand tools and a $5 stick soldering iron. They are here. There's only 1 left but if you message him, he'll list more for you.

ebay.com link: Stern Pinball Medium Power Coil Lord of the Rings Guns Roses with Diode

#7869 2 years ago

They also have LOTR coils at pinball life. https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html

I added them to mine when I was going to do a coil sleeve replacement. I wonder if they are the same as the APB ones. Likely similar. Requires soldering, but it is the easiest/safest soldering will probably get on a machine. Just make sure to get some good quality solder and solder flux. There are a gazillion recommendations here for products to use, if you do a quick search.

#7870 2 years ago
Quoted from NullFlavor:

They also have LOTR coils at pinball life. https://www.pinballlife.com/lotr-special-flipper-coil-090-5020-2ot.html
I added them to mine when I was going to do a coil sleeve replacement. I wonder if they are the same as the APB ones. Likely similar. Requires soldering, but it is the easiest/safest soldering will probably get on a machine. Just make sure to get some good quality solder and solder flux. There are a gazillion recommendations here for products to use, if you do a quick search.

It's been covered many times in this thread. They aren't the same and by most people's opinion (including my own), the PBL coils are way too strong. I threw mine in the trash as soon as I found the medium coils.

#7872 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's been covered many times in this thread.

Interesting. I do have a Rottendog power driver board in mine though, so that might play into it. It is notoriously underpowered for this game. Seems fine for me and doesn't feel too overpowered.

#7873 2 years ago
Quoted from chaz009:

are they good? Too strong?

These appear to be the same as the pinball life ones. Sounds like most think they are over powered. I have them and they seem good to me, but YMMV.

Worst case scenario, the APB ones are very reasonably priced and seem to be what most like.

#7874 2 years ago

Does anyone on here have pinsound neo soundboard installed along with pinwoofers? I’m having issues with mine after adding pinsound.

#7875 2 years ago

just got a LOTR and am working on LED conversion etc. any idea whhat this is? i found it in the cabinet. thank you

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7876 2 years ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

just got a LOTR and am working on LED conversion etc. any idea whhat this is? i found it in the cabinet. thank you
[quoted image]

Uh oh... This is the Shire VUK switch mechanics (or the Gimli VUK). Basically press the switch when the ball is in the VUK.

Also, if you're adding LED, you MUST add a ledocd as well. LOTR is one of the few games where incandescent fading is very pronounced, and without ledocd it loses all effects, not to mention flashing and strobing

#7877 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Uh oh... This is the Shire VUK switch mechanics (or the Gimli VUK). Basically press the switch when the ball is in the VUK.
Also, if you're adding LED, you MUST add a ledocd as well. LOTR is one of the few games where incandescent fading is very pronounced, and without ledocd it loses all effects, not to mention flashing and strobing

these are the vuks

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7878 2 years ago
Quoted from Rjbdmdmd:

these are the vuks [quoted image][quoted image]

Those remind me of the egg holders we used as kids to color Easter eggs. Definitely not factory.

#7879 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's been covered many times in this thread. They aren't the same and by most people's opinion (including my own), the PBL coils are way too strong. I threw mine in the trash as soon as I found the medium coils.

I have the PL coils and they have worked perfectly in all the many years I have had LOTR. Not sure why some people have issues.
Whatever works!

#7880 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

I have the PL coils and they have worked perfectly in all the many years I have had LOTR. Not sure why some people have issues.
Whatever works!

Definitely different strokes and whatever works for anyone is great. However that's not really my point. My point is that I've not seen anyone say the APB coils didn't work for them vs many people say the PBL coils are too strong. So as a person with stock coils who feels the need to upgrade, why even roll the dice?

#7881 2 years ago

I just ordered the APB coils... I have had the PBL coils in forever and nothing has broken yet, but I want the game to have another good twenty years with me.

The PBL coils are so strong they feel opulent, I will have to relearn the game I bet.

#7882 2 years ago
Quoted from horseflesh:

I just ordered the APB coils... I have had the PBL coils in forever and nothing has broken yet, but I want the game to have another good twenty years with me.
The PBL coils are so strong they feel opulent, I will have to relearn the game I bet.

I’ve had the original, stock coils in mine for years, and they do make the center ring shot a slight challenge after a long game, but I can still make the shot if it’s a clean shot up the middle. I did buy the medium coils as backups if mine ever become a problem. So far, so good. My problem is me, I always take forever to make the 4 shots during destroy the ring mode. My best is like 1:30…not quick. I’ve made the 4 shots in under 30 seconds a few times, but then I struggle to hit the ring. Gotta play better!

#7883 2 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Definitely different strokes and whatever works for anyone is great. However that's not really my point. My point is that I've not seen anyone say the APB coils didn't work for them vs many people say the PBL coils are too strong. So as a person with stock coils who feels the need to upgrade, why even roll the dice?

Good point.

#7884 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Take it to the hardware store and see if you can find a finish washer or cupped washer that is a little wider than the hole.

Yep...took it to Ace, and found rubber "faucet" washers that were just the right size that provides a nice solid connection with the screw. Seems to work great. Saved me $50.

20211220_142932 (resized).jpg20211220_142932 (resized).jpg

#7885 2 years ago

SOLD!
Mod - For Sale
Used, good condition - “Excellent condition and looks like it has never been used. Rare and hasn't been made in years and never will again. This is the nicest shooter rod for Lord of the Rings or the Hob...”
2021-12-24
Harpers Ferry, WV
200 (Firm)
Archived after: 0 days
Viewed: 35 times

#7886 2 years ago

Saw an interesting prototype picture of the game. Of note, there seems to be a mini jump ramp or pop up target on the way to the ring shot. Anyone know anything about this?

Proto (resized).jpgProto (resized).jpg

Edit: Spelling

#7887 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Saw an interesting prototype picture of the game. Of note, there seems to be a mini jump ramp or pop up target on the way to the ring shot. Anyone know anything about this?
[quoted image]
Edit: Spelling

Looks like Balrog was going to be a larger troll from Medeval Madness.

#7888 2 years ago
Quoted from Stebel:

Looks like Balrog was going to be a larger troll from Medeval Madness.

I doubt it. The rivets are on the wrong side of the flap to allow for a bash figure pointing towards the flippers.

Perhaps the early balrog bash toy had to get bashed higher to register a hit, hence the jump ramp. It’s missing from this pf but the pivot hole is there.

#7889 2 years ago

Looks like there are some inserts to the right side of the ring on the backboard. Maybe a lighted Mt.Doom plastic or sculpt was considered?

In case you missed LotR on Cobert:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/greatest-trilogy-ever#post-6681548

1 week later
#7890 2 years ago

Can I bug someone who has a great playing LOTR to share a few photos of their flippers.

I want the see where you have them aligned to the toothpick holes.

Thanks in advance

#7891 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

where you have them aligned to the toothpick holes

The flipper bat should be centered over the toothpick hole on modern Sterns.

#7892 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

The flipper bat should be centered over the toothpick hole on modern Sterns.

Any chance I could get a pic?

Thanks kindly

#7893 2 years ago

Line up your bats parallel with the inlane guide using a straight edge

#7894 2 years ago

My flippers are slightly forward of holes. I can make all the shots set like this.

20220108_203848 (resized).jpg20220108_203848 (resized).jpg
#7895 2 years ago
Quoted from drummermike:

My flippers are slightly forward of holes. I can make all the shots set like this.
[quoted image]

Thanks dude!

Do.you know if that is factory default, or was it changed?

#7896 2 years ago

I have an extra LotR LE mirrored backglass. What do you guys think those are worth these days?

#7897 2 years ago
Quoted from Scandell:

I have an extra LotR LE mirrored backglass. What do you guys think those are worth these days?

https://www.pinballprices.com/average-prices/lord-of-the-rings-(le)

Looks like 7k/8k have been typical but things are going up up up recently.

#7898 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

They are just asking about the mirrored back glass, not the game.

#7899 2 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

I don't think those prices are anywhere near correct because of the inflated prices games are going for these days.

The backglass alone would probably fetch $1000 I would guess.

#7900 2 years ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Thanks dude!
Do.you know if that is factory default, or was it changed?

I changed the flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 12.95
9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 7.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

9,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Baton Rouge, LA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 10,193 posts in this topic. You are on page 158 of 204.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club/page/158?hl=scandell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.